Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She's baaaack! Another Minute With Jill in which she rails against any version of the bible that isn't KJV 1611. She had the balls to say that newer translations are of the devil. Good times. 😂

I wonder how many of the new translations she has even read? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Jeeves said:

It could be either, IMO, and I'm not a doctor either. But that shot of him from the back shows that the man is carrying a lot of extra weight. And it doesn't look like muscles. Well he doesn't look normal sized in any photo, but something about all the fat on his back in that shot was kind of noticeable to me. With all that weight and the aging process, he could easily have sprained something, or have gout, or arthritic changes, or a bunion. Any number of problems, many of which would be caused or aggravated by his obesity. (I know, I can't be sure he's clinically obese because I don't have his height/weight numbers. But my observation leads me to think he is. I'm technically clinically obese, just barely, per BMI calculations - and I don't look nearly as overweight for my height as David does.)

BTW gout has a bad reputation. You *can* have it without being a self-indulgent undisciplined glutton. I have a family history of it, and typically somewhat elevated uric acid numbers, and I'm always kind of on the watch for it, which my doc sez isn't all that silly. A good friend who wasn't at all overweight, was actually healthy, quite an outdoorsman, and very physically active, was occasionally on crutches and almost debilitated due to flareups of gout. He said it was horrendous pain, to the point of hurting when a sheet touched his toe when he was in bed. Yikes.

David looks like he’s morbidly obese.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

David looks like he’s morbidly obese.

I agree. And he carries the bulk of the weight in his middle, which is associated with diabetes and heart trouble. He's shaped like a top, so I'm not surprised he turned an ankle. 

A medical checkup might save his life, but I suppose he thinks he's just fine and God will protect him. It works for Covid so it must work for everything else. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

I agree. And he carries the bulk of the weight in his middle, which is associated with diabetes and heart trouble. He's shaped like a top, so I'm not surprised he turned an ankle. 

A medical checkup might save his life, but I suppose he thinks he's just fine and God will protect him. It works for Covid so it must work for everything else. 

You can bet if he did see a dr, and was told he had to change his diet, that those poor kids would get even less than they do now! If daddy can't eat, no one can!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, beckie said:

You can bet if he did see a dr, and was told he had to change his diet, that those poor kids would get even less than they do now! If daddy can't eat, no one can!

Maybe they would have healthier foods? Ah, who am I kidding? Won't ever happen!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Jeeves said:

BTW gout has a bad reputation. You *can* have it without being a self-indulgent undisciplined glutton. I have a family history of it, and typically somewhat elevated uric acid numbers, and I'm always kind of on the watch for it, which my doc sez isn't all that silly. A good friend who wasn't at all overweight, was actually healthy, quite an outdoorsman, and very physically active, was occasionally on crutches and almost debilitated due to flareups of gout. He said it was horrendous pain, to the point of hurting when a sheet touched his toe when he was in bed. Yikes.

My husband has a tendency to develop gout.  He doesn't have an unhealthy diet either.  He has a prescription to reduce his uric acid because besides his predisposition to gout he has also had kidney stones.  He doesn't want a repeat of either one.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Who would want to go swimming in soggy, heavy, street clothes?  Long sleeves, yet?  Batshit crazy.

There are some long sleeved modest swim tops and rash guards that could be worn for swimming.  Land's End even has a rash guard with a collar and zipper like Jill's top.  But, considering she makes her children swim in blue jeans and regular long sleeved shirts, I would hope she doesn't spend money on modest swimwear for herself.

Of course, a lot of the modest swimwear out there was developed for Muslim women and Jill probably would condemn it on that basis alone.

BTW, my local pool, back in the old days prior to the pandemic, had a fair number of Muslim women who swam wearing head coverings and swimdresses with pants underneath.  I asked a couple of them about it and they found them very comfortable, easy to swim in and dried very quickly.  So it is possible to find practical modest swimwear.  I just don't think Jill would bother to do so.  She prefers that people look at her and be amazed at her suffering and sacrifice.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 22
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

There are some long sleeved modest swim tops and rash guards that could be worn for swimming.  Land's End even has a rash guard with a collar and zipper like Jill's top.  But, considering she makes her children swim in blue jeans and regular long sleeved shirts, I would hope she doesn't spend money on modest swimwear for herself.

Of course, a lot of the modest swimwear out there was developed for Muslim women and Jill probably would condemn it on that basis alone.

BTW, my local pool, back in the old days prior to the pandemic, had a fair number of Muslim women who swam wearing head coverings and swimdresses with pants underneath.  I asked a couple of them about it and they found them very comfortable, easy to swim in and dried very quickly.  So it is possible to find practical modest swimwear.  I just don't think Jill would bother to do so.  She prefers that people look at her and be amazed at her suffering and sacrifice.

I almost bought a rash guard from Target back in the summer.  It was only $30 and available in store.  Jill can easily find modest swimwear if she actually wanted to.  

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I just don't think Jill would bother to do so.  She prefers that people look at her and be amazed at her suffering and sacrifice.

This, exactly. It's not about being modest, it's about making as big of a spectacle of herself as possible to draw attention. Then claiming to be a martyr when people make fun of her or kick her and the kids out for not following the rules (remember the public pool a while back where they were all swimming in their street clothes and were asked by management to leave?).

• Love 21
3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Jim Boob Duggar wears jeans & a polo shirt swimming.

Gil Bates and family does,too.It's crazy.Although the girls did wear modest swimwear in an outing to a lake

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 3

Jill and Hannah should wear bathing caps to keep their long, stringy hair from clogging the drains. Some pools require them. Then there's the runoff from Jill's cheap makeup and greasy hair products that probably leave a film in the water anyway.

To Jill, every day, every action is a drama centered on Queen Jill. That's a narcissist at work. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder how many of the new translations she has even read? 

I seriously doubt she's read much of the KJV 1611 version, especially if her reading level is the same as her writing level. More than likely, she's been fed a steady diet of cherry-picked verses and Sunday school bible stories and repeats them w/o any thought process involved.

• Love 14

her "workout buddy" hannah was there to film her swimming laps? one of the comments was from someone who said their kid asked who that was and was told Mrs Rodrigues and the kid said cool. I am skeptical on that

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

“Please bring your favorite mask.”

I already like them better than 99% of the Duggars’ sweet friends. They’ve met the bare minimum of caring about others!

Funny, he is a Freedomist.  One of the guys shoulder to shoulder with Joy and Austin, making fun of Covid, masks, sanitizer and toilet paper.  And then Joy got Covid.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I'd also just like to note that is not a local wedding. Brookland is all the way on the other side of the state, so these idiots are all traveling several hours away to attend this.  

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I'd also just like to note that is not a local wedding. Brookland is all the way on the other side of the state, so these idiots are all traveling several hours away to attend this.  

Wut, like you guys expect Christians* to care about other people's health? The nerve of you. It's all about Living Your Best Christian Life and being a dumbass while doing it. 

Think they will pay me royalties when one of the dumbasses writes a book with that title?

*Not to tar all Christians with the dumbass brush but they know who they are.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

She does not look that young. I'm guessing late 20s at the youngest. 

I wonder how the groom (I'm assuming) knows Jed, Jer, and Austin? 

She mentioned the Freedomists. Austin and some of the Howlers are involved with them.

• Love 1

I just looked up the Freedomists Instagram page, and it's about what you'd expect, followed by both Joy and Joe/Kendra. One post mentions something about "we’re out here doing the freedom" accompanied by a picture that looks like a bad indie band cover. I wonder if they realize that phrasing sounds like a sex act. . . . 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Please to excuse.  😂

21 minutes ago, Zella said:

I just looked up the Freedomists Instagram page, and it's about what you'd expect, followed by both Joy and Joe/Kendra. One post mentions something about "we’re out here doing the freedom" accompanied by a picture that looks like a bad indie band cover. I wonder if they realize that phrasing sounds like a sex act. . . . 

The only interaction I have with the Freedomists is when Joy and Austin went on their YouTube and dissed masking and social distancing. This was maybe April or May.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

I just read their story on their wedding website. They met last April on a Freedomist Zoom call, and he proposed in August. I know of some whirlwind courtships that worked out well for both parties, but this one might be more of a tornado. . . . 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

The more of these fundie weddings I see, the more I understand why Jana decided to stay single. Now I firmly believe it's her choice. She's better looking than 90% of these women, her connections while dubious to us would be celebrated by these people and yet...she's still single. I think Jana wants no part of popping out kid after kid and being tied down to one of these men. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

I just read their story on their wedding website. They met last April on a Freedomist Zoom call, and he proposed in August. I know of some whirlwind courtships that worked out well for both parties, but this one might be more of a tornado. . . . 

Yeah but they prayed about it! I can’t wait to hear about her entrance to the wedding ceremony, where they are closing the gates and no one else will be allowed in. Maybe it will be like the dopey thing Josiah did at JoKen’s wedding, but outside. So she could parachute in or something. Maybe that’s why Austin has been doing so much skydiving, 🤔 

• LOL 8

So many curiosities about this upcoming Fundy wedding. First is, future Mrs looks like she could be future Mr's mom.

Second is, is this code for, no worries, we'll sneak you in? And who contacted them, the bride-to-be, the county?

"3. You're invited! If you are a local resident, who has been contacted about not being able to attend the reception due to COVID-19 limitations, please join the bride early at the venue. She will be doing a meet & greet between 3:45 p.m. and 4:10 p.m. It will mean so much to Hannah to have that special time with her people."

The bride knows so little about her future husband, she can't write even a tiny bio about his friends in the wedding party?

And lastly, bring your favorite mask, not wear. I'm guessing they picked a venue that will require them to wear masks as they enter the ballroom, but will not enforce anything beyond that. In other words a Freedomist super spreader event.

• Useful 5
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, Insert Username said:

That pool looks really tiny for swimming laps...and if they are paying for a gym membership, I can't believe they weren't admonished for wearing street clothes in the pool. I know that our gym has very strict rules about bathing caps, makeup, and clothing

They are working out and swimming in a local hotel.  So, there is no one to monitor what the Rods get up to while there.  As long as no paying guest complains about Jill swimming in street clothes, no working at the hotel is going to care.  At least until something breaks.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

their last blog newsletter post said they were getting ready for a tour in the south or some such thing. a bit bizarre they are staying in a hotel rather than the RV while begging/praying for money for an addition to the Barndo  a "Living Room (for family)"

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tasya said:

The more of these fundie weddings I see, the more I understand why Jana decided to stay single. Now I firmly believe it's her choice. She's better looking than 90% of these women, her connections while dubious to us would be celebrated by these people and yet...she's still single. I think Jana wants no part of popping out kid after kid and being tied down to one of these men. 

Jana already raised a family. She may have decided one was more than enough. Smartest one of the whole bunch, IMO.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

their last blog newsletter post said they were getting ready for a tour in the south or some such thing. a bit bizarre they are staying in a hotel rather than the RV while begging/praying for money for an addition to the Barndo  a "Living Room (for family)"

Could they already be on the road? They have stimulus money now, so once every few days or so they could stay in a hotel in order to bathe and wash their clothes (how do they do either in that RV). It's probably hard to find people in the small churches they sing in willing and able to take them all in overnight. That would feel like a biblical invasion of locust.

Nobody really expects Jill to use money to feed the kids, but even a cheap hotel usually offers coffee and packaged sweet rolls in the morning. They could fill their pockets with rolls and eat for the entire day. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

The Rods would pay for a gym membership when pigs fly. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

The pigs could fly, the cows could come home, and there could be snowballs in hell. Jill Rod still wouldn’t pay for a gym membership or anything else if she could find a way to grift it instead!

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The bride knows so little about her future husband, she can't write even a tiny bio about his friends in the wedding party?

I noticed that too! Evidently he also couldn't even be bothered to dictate to her how he knew them. But I guess it confirms the Duggars and their posse are friends of the groom and not the bride. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Temperance said:

Some friends of the Duggars are getting married next Saturday. They're having an outdoor wedding.  Jeremiah, Jedidiah, and Austin will be groomsmen.  

The high temp that day is supposed to be 47, the low 20.  It doesn't sound like they plan to have heaters for their outdoor guests since they recommend wearing a winter coat and bringing a blanket to the 4:30 PM ceremony.  At least the reception is indoors and they mention the need to bring masks and sit in family groups.  It also sounds like they cut their guest list for the reception due to COVID restrictions and ended up calling some folks who live locally and uninviting them.  But, don't worry, the bride has set aside some time where people can come and adore her, hand over the gift and then go home unfed.  Nice.

What is up with that photo on the website?  It has been retouched so much that the happy couple's facial features are almost erased.  Neither one is a great beauty, but they cannot be that awful, can they?  And, I agree, she looks a good decade older than the groom.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The high temp that day is supposed to be 47, the low 20.  It doesn't sound like they plan to have heaters for their outdoor guests since they recommend wearing a winter coat and bringing a blanket to the 4:30 PM ceremony.  At least the reception is indoors and they mention the need to wear masks and sit in family groups.  It also sounds like they cut their guest list for the reception due to COVID restrictions and ended up calling some folks who live locally and uninviting them.  Nice.

What is up with that photo on the website?  It has been retouched so much that the happy couple's facial features are almost erased.  Neither one is a great beauty, but they cannot be that awful, can they?

I was wondering about the weather. I hadn't checked for there, but here the low that night is supposed to be 12, and I'm assuming that the temperature will start plummeting as it gets dark, which is when these idiots will still probably all be outside. 

I know this is in the Delta, so it's going to be warmer than it is in the Ozarks any time of year, but I wouldn't have an outdoor wedding in Arkansas in February. Between summer heat and bugs, winter cold snaps and ice storms, and rainy spring days, there are very few months I'd actually want to do an outdoor wedding ceremony or reception here. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6