Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: #MurphysLaw (Phuket, Thailand)

• Start Topic

I had a whiff of it being a NEL, because the flights were tricky, but I wouldn't have been surprised if Harley and Jonathan -- who, honestly, should be filed under superfans, not celebs -- got a superfan exit.

Like S25, we had a leg without a Road Block; also interesting that the Detour challenges were genuinely hard, which implies that in spite of the gimmick this season, TPTB might be learning from TAR Canada. Hard tasks are not necessarily bad television.

You might grimace a bit about a task at a 'ladyboy bar' in Thailand, but I can't think of any prime-time network show over the past decade that has been willing to push past the heteronormative, and props to all the teams for being equally up for the task.

Mike and Rochelle might well have staying power. Also, #freeHayley. She has superficial things going against her, and maaaaybe she could be a little more forgiving, but she's actually the smarts and engine of that team.

• Love 9
I'm weirded out by the show showing us sleeping arrangements for the stranger teams. I don't want to see the Bachelor. Stop it show right this instance!
Actually, I enjoy that part.  I miss the days of Eat Sleep Mingle.  I was curious about how the blind date teams would handle the sleeping situation, so I appreciate them showing us.

What I find weird is how totally cold Laura and Tyler have gotten.  In the first episode, they joke about their first shower together, he deliberately takes off his shirt, she gushes about his body.  In the second episode, they're suddenly "we're just friends".  Now, they act like near strangers.  Some people speculated that Tyler is gay, but I'm not seeing it.  His comments at the ladyboy dance made it evident that he was not amused and not enjoying himself (unlike one of either Bergen and Kurt, who looked like he was ecstatic to be living out his dream).  He also said something about wondering if he had to get his nuts cut off.

Steve and Aly continue to be my favourite team.  Although I knew as soon as Steve said that they were athletes and should be able to wakeboard that they would have trouble.

Wondering if there was a Roadblock that was edited out, or if the Ladyboy dance just took the place of one.

• Love 3

What I find weird is how totally cold Laura and Tyler have gotten.  In the first episode, they joke about their first shower together, he deliberately takes off his shirt, she gushes about his body.  In the second episode, they're suddenly "we're just friends".  Now, they act like near strangers.  Some people speculated that Tyler is gay, but I'm not seeing it.  His comments at the ladyboy dance made it evident that he was not amused and not enjoying himself (unlike one of either Bergen and Kurt, who looked like he was ecstatic to be living out his dream). .

Really? I noticed the opposite. He seemed excited at the cabaret, saying something like "you guys are gonna see the sexiest lady man you've ever seen...the boys downstairs better make it rain!" as he was getting dressed.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was kind of creeped out by the ladyboy bar, which is essentially a trans whorehouse.   I had a boss who traveled to Thailand, and he told me about these bars -  some times the performers are underage boys, and they perform sex acts with men in the audience for money . Thailand has a well-known problem with sex trafficking of children, and children being used as prostitutes.  Ladyboy clubs are only part of the sex culture in Thailand.   Not the best choice for Amazing Race.  The creepy factor didn't hit me until I saw the men in the audience holding pillows on their laps, then I remembered what I had heard about Thailand. 

Getting dressed up and performing a dance, I have no problem with.   But when it's for the sexual gratification of the audience, who want to see boys dressed as girls, and are used to being able to "interact" with performers, I just don't think this was a good choice. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 15

My dark heart jumps for joy when Haley and Blair made it as the second team to arrive.....and the date from hell continues....this is gold I'm telling you!  Her shrill constantly nagging voice and his deadpan wantingtopushheroffacliff expression, match made in heaven!!  I was really scared for her life when she was going on about how this is dangerous when they were riding in the cab in Phuket, and I kept thinking WIBT....What Is Blair Thinking?  The expression on Jelani's face when Hayley went on and on and on and on about her being right was also gold!

That song they were dancing to at the ladyboy's bar was catchy, and I can't believe everyone just mushed together on that mat, that was like an awkward orgy.  Steve was a very attractive guy in makeup, seriously, all the other were kind of fug, and Jeff even admit that in the car with Jackie, who is very calm when he was messing up.  I still can't believe Mike and Rochelle had 8 attempts before any other team was able to get on that stage, how were they that far ahead?

• Love 1

Holy fuck.  SHUT. UP. HALEY.

Was also a bit annoyed with blind date guy with the nice teeth (still can't remember names) that had to say "I'm going to be a ladyMAN!"  and he said it over and over.

Glad that Tats and Beard were team #1!  As contrived as the proposal was, I had tears and also loved that the guys gave up their date pass.  They already know that they aren't a love connection, so that was awesome.  Speaking of love connections...STOP with that.  Just let them run the race and figure it out on their own.

• Love 5

Yuck.  Proposal was corny and contrived.  I guess we know why that boring couple was cast.  Their "pick us for the show" application contained a promise to do just this.  Corny and totally cringe-worthy.  I don't care about their little luuuuv life.  And I assume that was a fake glass prop ring because, like someone else posted, the customs on that thing would have been horrific in both Japan and Thailand.

Still can't tell all the endless bland white couples apart except the one with the "told you so" woman who finally got her revenge on the snotty, smug man she has been stuck with this whole time.  And I can only tell them apart when she goes off on the twit.

Being in Phuket reminded me of other races. Especially Season 1.  Instead of "look! men dressed up in drag!  isn't this hysterical! (not) stuff we got the real funny with "real men walk with tigers" (Kevin & Drew, we miss ya).

I missed having the roadblock.   I miss The REAL Amazing Race.

• Love 6

I miss The REAL Amazing Race.

Me too. I'm not liking the camera work and all the hyper cuts and angles and seizure inducing lights and flashing stuff. Really TAR, it's ok to show the country they're visiting and the racers navigating and coping. You don't have to cock up what used to be a great show with gimmicks.

And the challenges. Really? Last week they had to open a box and eat some noodles to get through the leg and this week back to dance choreography for the second time in three weeks? Really lame and not up to TAR standards.

• Love 7

Was also a bit annoyed with blind date guy with the nice teeth (still can't remember names) that had to say "I'm going to be a ladyMAN!"  and he said it over and over.

He annoyed me with this too.  There was no need to say it over and over. 

Yuck.  Proposal was corny and contrived.  I guess we know why that boring couple was cast.  Their "pick us for the show" application contained a promise to do just this.  Corny and totally cringe-worthy.  I don't care about their little luuuuv life.  And I assume that was a fake glass prop ring because, like someone else posted, the customs on that thing would have been horrific in both Japan and Thailand.

I guess I am old and not romantic but I do not like proposals on reality shows.  Ever since the first one I remember on the Real World they seem more of a chance to show off rather than romantic.  I do not mind couples saying they would use the prize if they won for a wedding or honeymoon just propose in private.

• Love 11
(edited)
I may be misjudging Blair, but I don't think he's the 'innocent' party in this.

I don't think anyone thinks Blair is the "innocent" party. We've seen him be dismissive and clearly irritated with her from the first episode and this is the second time we've been shown her telling him something is wrong, him ignoring her and she turning out to be right. So I think most people fully believed Hayley was more than justified in her anger. However, me personally, if it's said once, twice, maybe even three times, I say let it go and move on.

Harping and bitching about it, especially when you're about to go do a delicate task like they were about to, is simply counterproductive and at that point just makes her seem like a screeching harpy. It happened, she was right, she expressed that, move on and run the damn race. I get the argument that if he had just apologized, maybe she would have let it go but clearly he wasn't going to, so going on and on and on about the same point is stupid. Not to mention that I think Blair might have figured it was best for him to say nothing - he was wrong, he made the mistake, she was right in the end so she had the right to be upset. He just didn't think she'd keep going on and on.

Also for the record, when they went the wrong way in the first episode, he did apologize by telling her she was right, it was his fault and he was sorry. Something else I've noticed, for all their issues, Blair always carries Hayley's backpack when they're running to the mat which I think is fairly gentlemanly of him. And I think he showed a nice sense of humor when he joked about her possibly jabbing him in the eye with the eyeliner when she was doing his makeup since she was probably still mad. I also cracked up at his expression when Hayley again, is the one to bring up the earlier mistake only to say they won't talk about it again, it's done and they need to move on. Like she was the only one talking about it. 

I have my issues with Blair and said that plenty especially the first episode and I was totally with Hayley when she first snapped this episode, because if he'd just listened for one minute, not dismissed her and thought about it, he'd have realized she was right about the food task. But the longer she kept going on and on and on, to the point that even Jelani was giving her looks, I actually started feeling bad for Blair.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 17

Also, the surfing task looked ridiculously difficult.  I thought maybe the guy controlling the ropes would go easier on later attempts, but it doesn't appear that he did.  

The wakeboard task pissed me off to no end.  I'm not entirely sure it would have been possible for anyone to succeed.  I'm a waterskier and I've done a little bit of wakeboarding, but most importantly, I have experience driving a boat for wakeboarders.  For this task, I was watching the rope, not the teams.  The way the ropes  were jerking, starting and stopping, I don't know anyone who could be successful under those circumstances.  I love it when the tasks are hard, but that didn't even look possible.  (I wonder if the guy running it was doing that so there could be "funny" falls, and I also wonder if the rope was moving a lot more smoothly when they tested it.)  I only saw one run that looked legitimate to me, where Jackie had some success then fell because of her form and her inexperience, not because of inconsistent pull.

The low point? The pillows on the laps of the guys watching the Ladyboy show. Geeeeeeee-rossssss!!!!!

Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod... I saw the pillows and wondered, "Hey, why do they----OH.  EEEUWW.  EEEUWW. EEEUW.  DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT."

Oh yes the best part... in the beginning at the airport the little tyke running pell mell and his mother chasing after him lol.   

That was my favorite part, too!  So cute. So...real life and normal.

I'm weirded out by the show showing us sleeping arrangements for the stranger teams. I don't want to see the Bachelor. Stop it show right this instance!

I was glad to know the score since people were curious and I'm always interested in those sorts of logistics, but I didn't need to see anyone get cutesy about it, Jackie.   Also, if that had been me and my husband, seeing the size of those beds, I'd be all, "Um, excuse me?  Mr. & Mrs. Bad Example are going to need separate rooms, too."  Screw romance, I want to get a good night's sleep when the opportunity presents itself.  

Their "pick us for the show" application contained a promise to do just this.  

I had the same thought.  Still don't care about their proposal, and I'm still never going to recognize them. 

But then I had to get all sentimental when B&K gave them the date night.  Class move.  Also, once B&K said "not each others' type" I started liking Bergen and Kurt a lot better.  Finally, with their names and blondeness, I can't help but to think of them as the Swiss Boys.

So happy J&H didn't get eliminated.  I was hoping for an NEL.  I think they're my favorites.  

• Love 10
(edited)

I love how everyone is having fun and getting along with other teams.  That party at the pit stop at the end was fun.  So sweet of the blonde guys to give the newly engaged couple the date night ticket.

The guys in drag were hilarious.  They all seemed to be having a good time being silly.  Fun episode.

The low point? The pillows on the laps of the guys watching the Ladyboy show. Geeeeeeee-rossssss!!!!!

Yeah, I noticed that too.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

Regarding the customs fees on the engagement ring.  If the bride-to-be had it on her finger when they came through customs, there would have been no fee.  I'm thinking she wasn't all that surprised when he popped the question at the mat, as she already knew the ring was part of what they packed for this leg of the race.

Unpopular opinion:  I think Hayley was fully justified in unloading on Blair - especially because he didn't admit he was responsible for their having to re-do the challenge.  It's understandable that she would want to continue until she knew she had gotten through to him.  Once he stops the pattern of ignoring her suggestions, perhaps the nagging will stop, too.  (Life is not easy for Mr. AZC . . . I admit that I have a bit of Hayley in me in those situations.  But we've been married over 50 years, so he's learned to "make it right" quicker if he wants any peace and quiet.  LOL.  These two have only had a few days . . . Dr. Blair needs to get a clue FAST.)

• Love 8

Yes, Haley was right - again - but she has a hard time letting things drop.  Perseverance like that is probably a good thing in the ER, especially in a trauma situation.  She also has the ability to scan the situation and put information together in a fast paced and high stress environment, another good thing for her profession.  If she were to decide to become a doctor, she might be a very good one.  But her penchant for going on and on about something instead of waiting for a quiet time to present her case in a calm manner is causing problems.

As for Blair, he's definitely unhappy with his assigned partner, and is marginalizing her as a result.  As Haley pointed out, there might be some doctors ego getting in the way.  Maybe he's used to deciding on a course of action and tuning out everything else to get it done.  Good thing for a doctor who has to treat his patients in a calm and methodical manner, but since he's not alone in these life and death situations he should be able to accept some input from his team.  Is he a surgeon who has his patients scheduled and all current information on the patient's condition right at his fingertips?  If so, he might be used to things happening in an expected and orderly manner with fewer emergency situations, and there's a checklist for dealing with the ones he's most likely going to encounter.

Haley works in an ER, in the trauma department, in a pediatric hospital.  Nothing is scheduled there, no real information on the patient's past medical history, it all happens on the fly.  Working on children is hard.  Their reactions to trauma are vastly different from adults.  They're less likely to be compliant if conscious, they're generally more likely to crash sooner than an adult, they have vastly different reactions to drugs than their parents, and the dosages are different for a six month old versus a 24 month old.  An 18 month difference in adults is unlikely to be an issue.  Children also have to have specialized equipment scaled to their smaller bodies, and the trauma staff has to be able to use them all.  For adults most equipment is for medium and large, not 6 lbs, 20 lbs, 40 lbs, etc.  Even handling children is different, their bones break easier and their joints are looser.  No wonder Haley is used to assessing situations and speaking up quickly.  While no medical professional wants to lose a patient, they really don't want to lose a child.

I got the impression during the first show that Haley really liked Blair, and he really wasn't into her.  Since she's become aware of his disinterest, she's feeling snubbed and angry.  No one likes to be rejected in public, and having it happen on television has got to be worse.  I think that each of them still want to run the race, but they need to get together without cameras around and talk it out.  Blair needs to get over his ego and listen to Haley, and Haley needs to stop pointing out that he was wrong (over and over again) and stop the constant muttering.  If they start drawing lines in the sand, they'll end up working against each other until they're last on the mat and off the race.

I just realized that although I don't like Haley all that much, at this point in time I'm a little bit more on her side.

• Love 14
(edited)

I get a little tired of seeing men so threatened by having to dress up as a woman (or in this case, as a man impersonating a showgirl, which is a very different look than my actual every day literal woman garb). Nobody thinks you're switching teams of any kind just because you put on a costume for a game show, guys. Relax.

I did like that the ladyboy task seemed to be judged more on showmanship than precision.

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 13
(edited)

Far too many homophobic comments in the ladyboy challenge.  I was not amused.

I was waiting for the guys to be homophobic and sexist douchebags because it always happens, but other than Tyler, I didn't notice much. Although I gotta admit I couldn't follow those scenes very well because they were so busy and loud. Do you remember what was said and by who? Or do you, piewarmer?

He could also have ended it by a quick, "I'm sorry. I got caught up in the race. I'll try and listen better next time." Instead of that smug, stony, silence and 'superior' expression. I may be misjudging Blair, but I don't think he's the 'innocent' party in this.

THIS. I thought Blair's response of just ignoring Hayley and looking at her with condescending disdain was a terrible reaction to being dead wrong yet again. To me Hayley comes off as someone very frustrated by the fact that her partner never listens to her and clearly thinks she's stupid/he's better than her. I'd harp on that shit, too. #FreeHayley

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

Haley's voice and speech patterns give the impression that she is not too bright - she comes off as a stereotypical "dumb blond".  I presume that her opinions/suggestions get ignored a lot because of it. She probably often finds herself thinking (or saying) "if you had listened to me, things would have been better."  I can understand her going overboard with the "I told you so" but it is not a smart way to race.  

• Love 3

Haley's voice and speech patterns give the impression that she is not too bright - she comes off as a stereotypical "dumb blond".

Yes, for some reason she presents herself as a dumb blond.  It was especially obvious in the first episode, and is strange for someone in her profession.  I go back and forth with her.  Maybe she was the cheerleader who had to dumb down to date the jocks, so they wouldn't be intimidated by her, and it's become her go-to strategy when meeting new people?  Well, the previews suggest that she tires of that in the next episode.

I am not seeing this 'Hayley presents herself as a dumb blonde' thing. If anything I think she's trying her best to get Blair to actually see she's not that and that maybe he should actually listen to her. But I also don't think she's putting on that voice so that might be part of why I don't see her acting like a dumb blonde.

• Love 1
Unless they edited it out, I never heard him apologize and it's possible that could have stopped her rant.

I heard him say he was sorry to her. It was when they were still at the zipline. But she wasn't listening to him because she was too busy berating him for not listening to her.

Hayley was initially right that Blair needs to listen better, but saying it over and over and OVER again for hours made her wrong. Brought it all the way back around. I did love Jelani's "so glad I dodged that bullet" face during what must have felt like the 14th hour of her rant.

• Love 9
(edited)

I am not seeing this 'Hayley presents herself as a dumb blonde' thing. If anything I think she's trying her best to get Blair to actually see she's not that and that maybe he should actually listen to her. But I also don't think she's putting on that voice so that might be part of why I don't see her acting like a dumb blonde.

I think it is her real voice, but I think it can give people the impression that she is not as smart as she is. I don't think she means to sound like a "dumb blond"  

I am guessing that her voice has to do with her job - she is a pediatric trauma nurse and likely spends a lot of time talking to small children who are very sick and/or very scared, so she has developed a higher and lighter tone.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 7

Something else I've noticed, for all their issues, Blair always carries Hayley's backpack when they're running to the mat which I think is fairly gentlemanly of him.

I agree with you on the other points but I feel like this is more of a "you're too slow, if I carry this for you, maybe you'll run faster" kind of thing.

I did love Jelani's "so glad I dodged that bullet" face during what must have felt like the 14th hour of her rant.

From next week's preview it looks like he didn't but I'm still holding out hope it was a short fight because I like that team.

• Love 3

they need to get together without cameras around and talk it out.

Maybe they have. We'll never know.

I can see the support for Hayley, but she needs to adapt a little, too. It's not all about Blair changing to fit her, she needs to acknowledge his personality type, as well. I think part of Blair's attitude comes from being a Navy doctor. Maybe he's adopted that "never apologize, it's a sign of weakness" stance (j/k!).

I know I really wanted Hayley to shut up. She was getting on my nerves.

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved the proposal. I wonder if losing the fanny pack, where he had the ring made him think he needs to ask so he's not carrying around this ring anymore. lol 

Blair does need to listen and Haley needs to stop nagging. If that's how she talks all the time with the nagging, no wonder he doesn't pay attention. He's automatically tuning her out. 

I wondered if the party night wasn't supposed to make them miss start times and sleep in. Seems like encouraging not running the race as opposed to running it. 

The boys giving the date card away was sweet and classy.  Also loved that they realized they're the same but want to be good friends. They look like twins.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

I would have been furious if this had been an elimination round because it was so poorly planned. The producers should know whether there are enough available flights and/or seats for all the teams without leaving one stranded behind an entire day.

I can't help but think we would have gotten a lot more footage of "date night" if the couple had been straight, and especially if it was one of the blind date couples.

Not a fan of the cheesy "impromptu" proposals on national TV.

I loved the LadyBoy thing because it kind of separated the men into two groups: the ones who had to put on a show of gay panic over dressing up as a woman and the ones who thought it was hilarious and just went with it. Truck Stop guy in particular was an awfully good sport about it. What's interesting is that the men who had the most potential to actually look good as women were the most vocally against it.

Although, if you have to digitally blur out part of the statues at the front door, maybe you should have picked another location, y'know?

• Love 6

Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod... I saw the pillows and wondered, "Hey, why do they----OH.  EEEUWW.  EEEUWW. EEEUW.  DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT."

But then I had to get all sentimental when B&K gave them the date night.  Class move.  Also, once B&K said "not each others' type" I started liking Bergen and Kurt a lot better.  Finally, with their names and blondeness, I can't help but to think of them as the Swiss Boys.

"I don't see how you guys walk around with those things."  Elaine Benes

I think we have to start referring to them as Bergen und Kurt.  

• Love 2

I was disappointed in the Race planning this week. That one team, through no fault of their own was 17 hours behind the others due to plane reservation issues. I have no problem with different flights landing at different times and spreading the teams out a little, but this was just ridiculous. At that point, I think I would have just started sightseeing rather than finish the tasks with any immediacy.

Enough with the dancing challenges! One a season is fun (and all you really need).

"Tree" vs. "Ski" It looks like "Ski" was pretty much impossible. If every team that attempts a challenge is forced to switch to the other one, somebody on the Amazing Race staff has screwed up. They had this happen last season, too, when teams had to run along that greased pole over the lake to grab 2 flags. No one got it.

• Love 5
I would have been furious if this had been an elimination round because it was so poorly planned. The producers should know whether there are enough available flights and/or seats for all the teams without leaving one stranded behind an entire day.

I went back though Wikipedia to check, and in the history of the Race, this is only the 3rd time that Leg 3 has been a NEL. (there was one other season where Leg 3 and Leg 4 made up a marathon TBC leg).

From upthread, I understand that Phil said on Twitter that the NEL was planned in advance.  I'll take him at his word on that.  But maybe that suggests that they did anticipate potential problems with Teams getting flight. (however, if they did, they could have pre-booked the flights, which they seem to be doing more and more anyway).

• Love 2

Why? Isn't this the case for every single leg? There's no way production has any control at all over the airlines. How are producers supposed to know when they plan the legs months in advance whether other regular non-race people are going to date to book seats on the possible flights that racers would need to take? Part of TAR is knowing how to manage the airport, and a little bit of luck. Jonathan and Harley were unlucky that they happened to be last in line at that airline counter with the flight that got in an 4 something. Tyler and Laura and another team were at a Phillippines Air counter and their flight landed at 9 something. Had Jonathan and Harley looked at other airlines first they might not have been where they were.
  • Love 2

From upthread, I understand that Phil said on Twitter that the NEL was planned in advance.  I'll take him at his word on that.  But maybe that suggests that they did anticipate potential problems with Teams getting flight. (however, if they did, they could have pre-booked the flights, which they seem to be doing more and more anyway).

I felt like they did take anticipate problems and tried to negate them with HOO - making them wait overnight. Still, as you said, it would have been better to pre-book the flights. 

Just caught up with the first three episodes last night. Some thoughts on this one:

I'm team Hayley on this whole partnership, even though she overdid it with the nagging. Blair seemed to hear her saying something very sensible: other teams have full plates, we don't, and they had a board with a bunch of items written on it. For like two minutes he completely ignores her as they walk, then silently goes down the zip line while she's continuing to plead the case. Um, why not discuss it before you commit to going down and having to march back up the hill? He was painfully wrong, and I never heard any apology. Hayley should have just shut up after a while, but that doesn't make Blair less wrong or less of a dick to not acknowledge her at all, or treat her like a child by acting as if she isn't even speaking to you. That silent treatment thing he does... I don't care how socially awkward and aloof he is at 35 years of a- excuse me, 31- he should know by now it only infuriates people, whether you're right or wrong. He was like a 12-year-old, playing some stupid mind game. Just apologize- because you were in the wrong, again- and stop completely ignoring your partner. #FreeHayley

The MyWay Cafe (which is probably not an underage gay brothel, as the show would presumably do its homework!) made me realize: with the exception of the Olympian skater and Rochelle from team truck stop, I'm pretty sure that every single other woman on this race has breast implants. Which is fine, just... are they that common now that 7 of the 9 female contestants on a TV show about racing around the world would have them as coincidence? Or is it an LA/famewhore thing?

Old man opinion time: it was mature of B+K to recognize they aren't compatible and move into a racing buddies relationship. It was also very nice for B+K to give up their date night to Matt+Ashley. It was however incredibly awkward for Bergen to turn it into a temporary pity party for himself. Who *does* that, cries about their own loneliness when someone else is publicly proposed to? Grow up, you're an adult, cry about that shit on your own time- or lie and say they're tears of joy- and don't piss on someone else's memory. When did being a mature adult fall out of fashion?

• Love 5

Really TAR, it's ok to show the country they're visiting and the racers navigating and coping. You don't have to cock up what used to be a great show with gimmicks.

I see what you did there.

I thought the best line of the night was when one of the female racers said something to the effect of, "Well, at least we get to use the room before the others arrive" and her partner looked at the cameraman and said, "Do you hear that?  Use the room?"

• Love 2
(edited)

Why?  This is part of what TAR is all about.  The whole point of the show is to turn the Racers loose on the world and let them figure stuff out as much as production can possibly allow.

A race around the world (not some level playing field, high school track or something) with all the problems that come with that.  Airplanes being full, bad cabbies, bad advice on directions from a passing stranger.  This is the nuts and bolts of TAR.  Always has been.  Hope it always will be.

There have been lots and LOTS of teams stranded in the past.  In most cases had they been there earlier or paid attention to things better they could have avoided this.  Some of the exceptions the Racers can't control have been delays, mechanical problems, miscommunication with ticket sellers, strong headwinds causing a missed connection (Gutsy Grannies on TAR2) and, in one case, an airline flat out lying to two Racers (The Clowns from TAR4). 

The team here was left behind because they were last in line.  No excuse not to have gotten to the airport earlier to line-up.  It's on them totally.  And, unlike many a team stranded, they were lucky to get bailed out with Hours of Operation bringing them closer to the pack and a non-elim leg to save them.  They were one lucky team.

Edited by green
  • Love 6

The skiing challenge was tough!  And when the cable turned sharply left around the pulley, it yanked everybody off their feet.  It looked like it caught them all by surprise, even though they only had to look up to predict when the turn was coming.

Yes, Blair was wrong.  He needs to stop behaving as if she is just an extra back-pack he has to drag around the world.  The opposite seems closer to the truth.  Blair: You are no Zach.  But Hayley wouldn't give it a rest!  I swear, at one point the Amazing Editors subtly sped up her voice, because it took on a definitely Chipmunkey sound!  Sadly, the more she demanded he listen to her, the more Blair just switched her off in his mind...

After the ladyboy challenge, Jeff looks at his face in the car mirror and says "Oh my God!  Look how ugly I am!"  And Jackie doesn't utter, but her face speaks volumes.  As for attitudes, if you find cross-dressing distasteful, I don't know why you should pretend you don't.  Personally, I don't like okras, and I don't care who knows it.  But this is The Amazing Race, and if I had to put on a dress and eat okras, I'd suck it up and do it.  But pretend I'm enjoying it?  Fuck that!

Steve:  "Luckily, I have no shame!"

• Love 2

I kinda got the feeling it'd be an NEL very close to the end.  But most of the episode, I figured it was an elimination.

The Detours were good, and I loved Phil's latest pop-up appearance.  But I missed having a Roadblock.  That cabaret thing could've easily been one.

And now the teams:

Mike & Rochelle: An excellent improvement after two legs of dragging behind.  It's good to see a normal-looking team -- and a preexisting one, to boot -- win a leg.  They didn't seem to make any real errors.  Both killed the Detour, and Rochelle led Mike through the cabaret task with plenty of time to spare before any other teams had to take their turns.  Well-earned victory.  And Rochelle was actually quite pleasant this week!

Hayley & Blair: I had no problem with Hayley nattering on to Blair.  When it came right down to it, there was a list of things they needed, and Blair chose to brush off Hayley.  They likely lost a chance at first place because of it.  That said, they didn't make any other mistakes, so I guess second was deserved.

Jelani & Jenny: Fell out of the top spot this week, but since they, too, missed the list of needed items, I don't mind.  But that was their one mistake.  They rocked out every other task and earned third place.  Good job.

Laura & Tyler: Kinda low-key leg for them.  From what I could see, no major mistakes made.  Actually, I think they were the only couple to do the Tree Detour in one shot, so kudos to them for that!  But they did slow down at the cabaret thing, but getting to pony off Aly & Steve helped them out.  Still, fourth isn't bad at all.

Aly & Steve: Their only real mistake this week was taking too long at the Ski Detour and realizing that a switch was in order.  But other than that, I didn't see them mess up a whole lot.  They needed more than one try at the Tree Detour, but they seemed to blow right through the cabaret task.  I don't know how they finished behind Laura & Tyler, though, especially since they finished that task ahead of them.  Still, decent fifth place.

Matt & Ashley: This team had their share of problems.  They fucked up with dropping their meals multiple times at the tree Detour, for one thing, and even though they got out of the cabaret task in a moderately high position, they lost ground when Matt left their fanny pack behind.  They made it in sixth place, but they're lucky they could outrun some teams in getting to the mat to land in sixth place.  The proposal was nice, though, and my feelings toward Matt thawed a bit.

Bergen & Kurt: Interesting how they've already realized that they're just better off as friends.  But anyway, they had some problems keeping their meals balanced, as well, at the Tree Detour.  They stumbled many times at the cabaret task.  And despite getting the Date Night pass, it was nice of them to give it to Matt & Ashley after the proposal.  Seventh place.

Jeff & Jackie: Not much seen from them this week.  They had to switch from the Ski Detour to the Tree one just like Aly & Steve did.  From there, we didn't see them screw up much, so it was almost like they weren't there.  Eighth place for problem faltering more times than we saw at the Tree Detour and the cabaret task.

Harley & Jonathan: Most times, NELs frustrate me because they save teams who come in last from their own mistakes and screw-ups and thus don't deserve the save.  But this is one time I'll be okay with it, because these two came in last through no real fault of their own.  The flights were clearly crazy, and I wonder if TPTB knew it, too, hence it being an NEL?  They made no mistakes that I could see in the leg, so the NEL was deserved.  Can they overcome the Speed Bump, though?  Well, if there's a bunch-up, probably.  If not, then it'll depend on how far behind they really are.

Good enough episode, but I'm still not hugely into this season.

• Love 1

Blair always carries Hayley's backpack when they're running to the mat which I think is fairly gentlemanly of him.

This reminded me of something I've wanted to mention since the start of the season: Is it my imagination, or do a lot of the teams this season have really, really big backpacks? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the blind date business, i.e., making sure you pack a full set of toiletries because you're not going to share with a stranger.

I missed the pillows at the cabaret, that sounds gross. I wish that they had had a task in the upside-down house, that was truly unique and would have been much more interesting than that generic wave park.

OMG! That's what the pillows were for????UGGHHHH. I saw them..thought it weird ...but never put 2 and 2 together. Repeating...UUGGHHH

Because it can't be said enough..Shut up Hayley!!

What have they done to my beloved classy race? Selfies, blind dates,& pillows! Oh My

• Love 2

Well, I missed the premiere and the second episode, but I got this one.   So this is my first episode to experience Laura.  Hooooo boy, I feel sorry for the guy she's teamed up with.

I'm wondering if you mean Hayley, the screeching nurse.  She and Laura look very much alike.

As for the doctor and nurse, I was -- at first -- in enormous sympathy with him because she kept harping on at him about not listening. However, when she brought up how doctors don't listen to nurses and they are the ones to spot mistakes and draw attention to them, I was on board with her. I'm not a nurse, but I've heard enough about this to know it is dead on right,

Yes, we nurses know what she said is often true.  BUT, you never - and I mean never - say it to a doctor.  Doctors hold all the power in the hospital and they can make your life hell.  I've been sexually harassed, several doctors put their hands on me, and even screamed at with the "F" word.  All without a doctor being sanctioned.  You know it's hard out there for a nurse.

I think Hayley came into this disliking doctors, and Blair came in disliking nurses.  Blair also seems the type to completely shut down, while Hayley keeps berating until she gets a response.  I think if Blair had acknowledged what she said, it would have helped.  Maybe:  "I hear you.  You were right.  I'll listen next time.  Let's move on", would have helped.  Or maybe not.

• Love 2

Anybody else whoop when Harley & Jonathan got non-eliminated? I hate boy bands, and I'm not fond of most stuntcast teams, but Jonathan really wanted to be there. Who am I to poop on his dream? Also fun: Mike & Rochelle winning the leg. They're easy to pick out of the crowd for me, and they ran a good leg.

The only "boy bands" I know and like are the Beatles and the Beach Boys.  I was in my late 20's when the New Kids were popular so as a hard rock chick I dismissed them as talentless manufactured hacks but I really like Jonathan and Harley so I'm glad it was a NEL.

The proposal was sweet and genuine but dammit TAR, if you ever put together another ridiculous stunt season like this I'm divorcing you.

• Love 3

That was just weird to me.  He really thought he might find love on a stressful, international blind date?  Really?  Besides Jackie and her partner, none of the blind date couples look as they have much tolerance for the conceit of the show.

It is weird how some of the teams seem to be taking it so seriously.  They did this one season on Big Brother.  Some of the HGs actually thought the show used specialists to find their soul mates. They harped on it all season.  On this show, they didn't even take into account people's likes or dislikes.  I applaud the show for going beyond the token one gay couple, but they clearly didn't look deeper than the fact that both men were gay - here you go.  It's as ridiculous as thinking a random man and woman make a good couple.

It appeared to me that the blind date racers were given the choice of sharing or not - Jelani and Jenny chose separate rooms, Jeff and Jackie chose to share.

It seemed weird to me because J&J had two beds in each of their rooms.  Yet Jeff and Jackie had one bed in their single room.  It was like they were forcing them to share a bed if they chose to share a room.  I really don't like Phil lowering himself to this love match crap.

That was a very strange time to propose marriage.

I agree.  It was completely a fame whore move.  Have they watched this show before, they may end up hating each other at the end.  I especially hated that every team was required to wait around for the "impromptu" proposal.

• Love 1
(edited)

Blair and Hayley -- my immediate reaction was that it is usually the nurses that point out a doctor's "mistakes" for lack of a better word. At least with the nurses I know, they seem to be very thorough. So I wasn't surprised that Blair dismissed Hayley AGAIN. I really hope he starts listening to her but I don't think it will happen.

As someone who actually works in a hospital (Lab)  I deal with a lot of doctors . Especially with young doctors you have two personalities , those who want you to hold their hands at all times (these are the ones who order every possible test  imaginable, like heart parameters for an sprained ankle ) and those who think they  know everything because they graduated medical school (think letting an undiagnosed leukemia patient go home with a flu diagnosis because who needs bloodwork when it's clearly the flu). Both types can be hard to deal with  but luckily 90 %  of doctors "grow up".

Edited by lianau
  • Love 3

Oh right- the unbalanced challenges.  What is with that his year?  The unbelievable dancing versus sake disparity in the opener, and the skating challenge last week; who are they using for challenge testing this year?  It should be telling that last week when your Olympic-medaling speed skater and bobsledder are only ahead of the clock by like 20 seconds, the out-of-shape truck stop employees... and just about everyone else... would really struggle, way out of proportion to eating noodles.

This week, not even the honest-to-god Olympians or any other in-shape people had a ghost of a chance at that wakeboarding challenge.  I don't think I recall a challenge that literally could not be completed before. At least the opposite task wasn't a joke like the noodles that could be done in 10 minutes or less with no real chance to screw up; both detour challenges had the element of "If you mess up, you have to start over".  But this has been a pretty poorly designed race so far; some of the roadblocks are cool, but the detours are atrocious, and it's starting to impact how fun the show is when I know a team might go home just for guessing wrong on which Detour to take.

Then again, as someone said above, if they keep it up the racers will catch on, and this will become the baldest, snarkiest season in TAR history.

• Love 2

I am in a bad mood today, so I thought a negative post would be just the thing:

1. I don't care that Blair was wrong.  Hayley's voice is so annoying that I would have lemonlawed her within 2 minutes of saying hello during a blind date in real life.  He is stuck with her with no escape for the length of the race; all of my sympathy is with him.

2. I would never accept a public proposal.  Putting someone on the spot like that is complete bullshit.  I think she may have known in advance, though, so I guess that is OK.

3. I rolled my eyes when Bergen started blubbering about not finding love during the proposal.  Way to steal someone else's moment, asshole.

• Love 5

when Bergen started blubbering about not finding love...

Whenever I hear something like that, I can't help thinking "If nobody loves you, maybe you aren't all that loveable!"

• Love 4

ETA: Anybody else weirded out that we went from Fitbits for Jelani & Jenny last week to a trip to Prague for Mike & Rochelle? I don't think the prizes are altered for blind date couples, but it is an odd leap.

Last year, I saw the comedienne Sandra Bernhard in concert, and she regaled us with a tale of being in Prague several days and wanting to kill herself from boredom, so I'm guessing that's not that great a prize!

That was a very strange time to propose marriage.

I suspect he wanted that ring out of his fannypack and onto her finger ASAP, for safekeeping.

• Love 3