Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: #MurphysLaw (Phuket, Thailand)

• Start Topic

HannahJane: It depends on the country and their laws. Sometimes we see teams borrowing cell phones and booking flights. Sometimes we see them use a travel agent. Sometimes we see them at the airport. It really does depend on the country.

There are probably more airlines that they cannot fly then they can fly for liability reasons. I am guessing they want teams on major carriers when possible and want to avoid local regional carriers. This is probably less of an issue in Europe and the US because of the level of regulation and more of an issue in Asia, Africa, and South America were regulations can be a bit more lax. All you have to do is look at Malaysia Air to see why they would limit what carriers you can fly in Asia. Their still missing after a year flight was not allowed to fly the route it was flying on that day and they still sent it. And that is the nationally owned airline.

I don't want to start a big debate, but TAR has indeed filmed in many of the 78 countries in which homosexuality is illegal (#).  And yes, I WOULD hope that all couples would self-police their behavior, but we know this doesn't always happen. 

I get that, I just hope that when they visited those countries there was not a gay or lesbian team racing that season so that they were not in danger.

I have travelled a fair amount and have worked to conform to local standards where I have visited. That meant I did not bring shorts with me when I went to Egypt and was a bit uncomfortable the one day I wore a short sleeve shirt. I had very light weight, comfortable long sleeve shirts I had been wearing and one day I spaced and put on a short sleeve shirt. I don't think it bothered anyone but I am aware that the customs in Egypt are different then the customs in the US and I tried, within reason, to not upset those customs. I won't travel to countries that demand that women completely cover up or wear a veil or a head scarf because I am not comfortable with that level of control. I would not travel to a country that has outlawed homosexuality.

It drives me nuts when the folks on the Amazing Race don't police themselves. I get that they don't know where they are going in advance so that they don't have time to do a ton of research before they arrive but I would hope that they are able to figure out the basics and adjust their behavior accordingly. And I would hope that the Production team takes a closer look at the laws where they are going so as to not put the Racers in jeopardy, which means not racing in a country were a persons sexuality will get them arrested.

I think Blair comes across as a total dick. This is not the first time he's failed to listen to her when she was right, and it's not even like they have a debate and he prevails. He just dismisses her like she's a worthless moron, or ignores her completely, and does what he wants while conveying utter contempt for her existence. It's like he's trying to run the race alone and pretend she's not even there. My sympathies are all with Hayley here, because she's trying, and he isn't-- not to mention that the times we've been shown, she's actually been right while he was wrong. At least as far as we've seen, he's giving her the silent treatment, and generally acting incredibly condescending. If she were wrong all the time, or seen to antagonize him, maybe he could justify being that fed up. But all she's doing is trying to be a team and he won't even acknowledge it when he's wrong and apologize-- and learn from it and not dismiss her the next time without at least considering that what she's saying may have merit-- so I understand why she's losing it and saying "at some point you are going to have to listen to me." It doesn't look to me like she's just acting out of baggage from the doctor-nurse relationship at work; to me it looks like she's reacting to exactly how he specifically is behaving.

I agree.  I assume he's been like this all along, and when she was questioning him about having only two items on the tray, he didn't give her concerns any consideration at all in any way. He didn't stop for one second to think that maybe she was right, he just followed the person in front of him and I'm sure she felt helpless. He was not going to give in..  What really irked me and I think the reason she went on and on (and on), was that he couldn't simply just admit he was wrong and apologize. He said nothing.  His arrogance is astounding to me that he couldn't even let her have that!  I have a feeling she'd not have continued on nagging if he has just owned up, apologized and said that in the future he would be a better teammate and would indeed listen to her and work together.   I've known people like that who can't admit they're wrong, let alone apologize. It can drive a person insane out of frustration.

Edited by Molly by golly
  • Love 5

I get that, I just hope that when they visited those countries there was not a gay or lesbian team racing that season so that they were not in danger.

Since there's almost always been a team with at least one gay member on pretty much every season of AR, and many of those teams have made it close to/to the end of the Race, it's a pretty safe bet that they have been in countries where homosexuality is illegal.  The very first season of AR went to Tunisia, where any form of same-sex activity is illegal, and the infamous Team Guido (Joe & Bill) of that season was a gay couple.  Other seasons have gone to Morocco, Kuwait, and United Arab Emirates, plus Malawi, which has suspended its laws against homosexuality since AR was there in 2011; all those seasons had at least one team with one or more gay members.  It's possible that the clues for those countries would warn the racers about public behavior, and not just regarding homosexuality; I hope so anyway.

But obviously Thailand is not someplace where Harley & Jonathon would have to be discreet.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I can't help but think we would have gotten a lot more footage of "date night" if the couple had been straight, and especially if it was one of the blind date couples.

Not a fan of the cheesy "impromptu" proposals on national TV.

I'm glad we didn't get more footage of the blind date. I have absolutely no interest in that.

Completely agree, I'm not a fan of the proposals on tv either.  I think a proposal should be about two people or at the very least, amongst their friends. Not mugging for the camera. To each their own of course, but I find no beauty in it myself.

• Love 4

Old man opinion time: it was mature of B+K to recognize they aren't compatible and move into a racing buddies relationship. It was also very nice for B+K to give up their date night to Matt+Ashley. It was however incredibly awkward for Bergen to turn it into a temporary pity party for himself. Who *does* that, cries about their own loneliness when someone else is publicly proposed to? Grow up, you're an adult, cry about that shit on your own time- or lie and say they're tears of joy- and don't piss on someone else's memory. When did being a mature adult fall out of fashion?

Agree completely. Although I'm not a fan of the tv proposals, he turned what was a sweet moment into a pity party for himself!  I really couldn't believe that was happening. 

Why make a mountain out of a molehill?  

I think it's been a bunch of molehills piling on top of each other to create that mountain.  This wasn't an isolated incident.  She went on too long and it was annoying for sure, but I really don't blame her. He's a pill.

• Love 1

I do see both Blair and Hayley's sides, and I would hate to lose a race due to some guy ignoring my input.  But I also would hate to be with someone who refers to herself as a ditzy blonde girl and talks in a Minnie Mouse voice non-stop.  I mean, you have to tune it out to remain sane.  But then you get henpecked for not hearing the one time what she said was important.  

I think she might be listened to more if she'd talk less.  

It just seems so obvious to me that the blonde girl comment was sarcasm.  Being blonde myself, with an often goofy but not stupid personality,  I've often been treated as being a ditz until proven otherwise.  It can get old, and yeah I've been known to sarcastically refer to myself that way to show someone else that they were wrong in blindly misjudging me.

Edited by Molly by golly
  • Love 3

Any woman who dyes her hair platinum blond will likely have to face these prejudices.  Dolly Parton responded best:  [paraphrasing] I don't care if people call me a dumb blonde, because I know I'm not dumb and I know I'm not blond.

• Love 5

What really irked me and I think the reason she went on and on (and on), was that he couldn't simply just admit he was wrong and apologize. He said nothing.

Going on and on and on and on and on is not going to change that. You can't change other people, only yourself.

Blair may be a smug idiot who doesn't listen to her, but her strategy of not letting it go for hours is annoying. I may not have any sympathy for Blair, but I do have sympathy for the other racers, the cab drivers, the task supervisors and the viewing public who were all subjected to it as well. 

Hayley either needs to realize that her methods are unproductive and annoying  and knock it off or continue acting that way and be judged by me as being annoying.  Nagging and not letting it go is not a good look on anybody. It rarely changes anybody else's actions for the better. Have a discussion to hash out how to handle things better and/or live with racing with an a$$hat.

I understand that it can be frustrating racing with somebody who does not listen to you, but the nagging isn't changing that. Try a new strategies or accept it. Don't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.  And they were still the second team to finish the detour. They are actually a pretty good team if they could work out their issues.

Meanwhile, Blair should stop and listen because nobody is always right and it might stop the nagging if he does. I will thank him for it.

And I'll be very clear - her voice doesn't bother me at all. I know males who won't let it go either and that kind of thing just annoys the carp out of me (apologizng does not stop it , it just re-energizes them because it proves they were right all along -  strangely, singing "Let it Go" to them seems effective).

Edited by kili
  • Love 3

I feel that blondes referring to themselves sarcastically or seriously as "silly little blonde girls" reinforces the stereotype.  

And I feel like it's assuming the people around you are shallow enough to prejudge you for your hair color, and that you're fine with saying so to them.  I don't think it's any better to assume people think blondes are dumb than to actually think blondes are dumb.  

I feel that blondes referring to themselves sarcastically or seriously as "silly little blonde girls" reinforces the stereotype.  

And I feel like it's assuming the people around you are shallow enough to prejudge you for your hair color, and that you're fine with saying so to them.  I don't think it's any better to assume people think blondes are dumb than to actually think blondes are dumb.  

I think people shouldn't make assumptions about what someone else has gone through in their life if they don't have any idea themselves. Nor should judgements be made on how they deal with it.  I also think that picking apart words said on a stressful reality show race around the world  is petty and judgmental.  I don't exclude myself, as I'm judging Blair by how he's acting on the race. However, I'm not telling other posters they have no right to do the same.

Edited by Molly by golly
  • Love 3

kili I agree with your whole post.  I also remember that when Hayley was right about the street directions in the first (secong?) episode, and Blair admitted it and apologized (relatively good-naturedly) she STILL did not let it go. She kept saying, "You see, I was right, and you were wrong.  You need to listen to me more.  Because I was right about the directions.  The big smart doctor was wrong.  And the silly little girl was right."

She is either extremely insecure or just plain a nag. 

• Love 2

I think a proposal should be about two people or at the very least, amongst their friends. Not mugging for the camera. To each their own of course, but I find no beauty in it myself.

But all TAR racers are about mugging for the camera.  Not all as bad as the Horrible Hippies, but to a greater or lesser degree, they're all about being seen on TV.  

If TPTB announced that the race would be run exactly as always but without cameras, because it was not going to be televised, do you think these people would still have applied?

You've reached the point in the discussion where I start thinking it's time to ask you all to move along from dissecting the blonde comment and how Hayley best gets Blair to listen to her.

If you've stated your opinion on this a couple of times, that's probably enough.

Thanks.

• Love 2
There are probably more airlines that they cannot fly then they can fly for liability reasons. I am guessing they want teams on major carriers when possible and want to avoid local regional carriers. This is probably less of an issue in Europe and the US because of the level of regulation and more of an issue in Asia, Africa, and South America were regulations can be a bit more lax. All you have to do is look at Malaysia Air to see why they would limit what carriers you can fly in Asia. Their still missing after a year flight was not allowed to fly the route it was flying on that day and they still sent it. And that is the nationally owned airline.

While this might be true to some extent in Asia and Africa (for instance I’d have to be truly desperate to ever fly on a Nigerian carrier), I don’t really think it applies to South America.

After all the recent mergers and consolidations, the aviation industry in Central and South America is almost completely dominated by three major companies: Avianca, Copa and LATAM (LAN & TAM), at least when it comes to international flights.  All three have relatively modern fleets and excellent safety records.  This may be in part because they all offer direct flights to the US and are subject to a higher standard of regulation.  Even most domestic carriers in the region have good safety records.  I'd be no more hesitant to fly on a Latin American carrier than on the US carriers (and you tend to get better service as well).

• Love 1

Nagging someone who did not listen to you about how he or she should listen to you usually backfires. If anyone knows how to get your point across without repeating it over and over (which almost never works), please share. I could use the info.

If TPTB announced that the race would be run exactly as always but without cameras, because it was not going to be televised, do you think these people would still have applied?

Harley and Jonathan? Perhaps, (N)KotB is a fan.  Perhaps one or either of Jelani and Jenny.  But forget about the famewhores - I'd definitely apply!  Heck, the 24/7 taping factor is one of the reasons I *don't*.

I agree. If she really had a backbone and was really sure she was correct, both in the first episode when she said they were going in the wrong direction and in this episode at the zipline, she could have simply refused to move until he listened to her. On the race, unlike in real life, she has that ability because they're required to stay together.

I really didn't understand her "backbone" comment.

But I think it may have had to do with the fact that she tried to suggest they needed to take more food than he picked up, but he insisted on his way because that's what the Team ahead of them did.  I could understand her being frustrated that her own teammate apparently trusted another team more than her.

• Love 2

But forget about the famewhores - I'd definitely apply!  Heck, the 24/7 taping factor is one of the reasons I *don't*.

I agree, and I've said the same thing before (about the cameras being one reason not to apply).  You'd still get applicants, but not the same applicants.  Not these applicants.  The type of people who sign up to be taped -- for public broadcast -- 24/7 for four straight weeks, is exactly the type of person who wants to get down on one knee and propose with the biggest crowd of observers possible.

And I think it's a bit cowardly, too.  I mean, with so many people watching, she is far less likely to say "No f*king way, Jose!  Not until you learn not to fart in bed!"

• Love 4

Maybe I'm cynical but I feel like virtually every bended-knee proposal is engineered for drama, and most often by the woman.  So if you're going to play out a Cinderella story trope, may as well ham it up for real and do it on tv, too.  

I could understand her being frustrated that her own teammate apparently trusted another team more than her.

Yeah, except that other team was Jelani and Jenny who up until that point, really seemed to have done nothing wrong.  And because his teammate was, well......Hayley.

• Love 1

Though annoying, Hayley's method of "keep telling him how he should have listened to you" may work.  The next time they have a difference of opinion, he might just do what she says just so he won't have to listen to her drone on and on about it if his way is wrong and hers is right.  There are a lot of people who just do what someone else wants because they don't want to hear the complaining - squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. 

Though annoying, Hayley's method of "keep telling him how he should have listened to you" may work.  The next time they have a difference of opinion, he might just do what she says just so he won't have to listen to her drone on and on about it if his way is wrong and hers is right.  There are a lot of people who just do what someone else wants because they don't want to hear the complaining - squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. 

This is generally how cats get what they want.  Just saying.

• Love 6

My guess is that it's not so much a liability issue, but a carry-on restriction rule.  The smaller local carriers usually have much more stringent carry-on size/weight rules.  While it's no big deal for the racers to check their luggage, the camera/sound people probably want/need to carry their equipment on.  That may not be possible on the smaller airlines. 

Okay, I need Blair and Hayley to last till the end because they are hilarious. While I was with Hayley at the beginning because it does seem like Blair was just dismissing her very valid questions which turned out to be correct but woman would just NOT let it freaking go. 

I think it's because he wouldn't acknowledge what she was saying. Yes, she turned into a nag, but he was ignoring her. So I don't really blame her for harassing him over it.

ETA: Oops, sorry, mod, I'm late to the party and missed the announcement. This was my only post in this thread.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1
Aren't the racers required to have that fannypack on them at all times, to the extent of not being able to check in at the mat without it?  My impression is that it's where they're instructed keep all of their most important stuff--clues, passports, money...engagement rings.
I don't think there is a requirement per se, but I believe that teams aren't allowed to check in if the next leg of the race leaves the country and they have lost their passports.  Most teams keep their passports in the fanny pack, and more than a number of them have lost them.  Dallas and Toni (left in a cab, never found, eliminated), Justin and Zev (the first appearance, eliminated), Hippie Rockers (claimed a taxi driver "stole" their passports, in fact they left their bags in the car on their own volition, eliminated), team of two women who lost their passports at a gas station and magically had them returned.

So it's one of the unwritten rules, always keep track of your fanny pack and passports.  In the hairdresser's case, he left it in the room because I presume he took it off so he could put on the drag costume to do the dance.  Idiota.  Why wouldn't he put the bag with the rest of his clothes?

So it's one of the unwritten rules, always keep track of your fanny pack and passports.  In the hairdresser's case, he left it in the room because I presume he took it off so he could put on the drag costume to do the dance.  Idiota.  Why wouldn't he put the bag with the rest of his clothes?

He might have. It would have been among the first things he removed, and therefore at the bottom of the pile, and if it's not an item he's in the habit of wearing (and it seems a fairly safe bet that a fanny pack is not), he wouldn't necessarily immediately register that he was missing something once he'd put all his clothes and backpack back on. And if they didn't have dedicated areas for each of them, where you can easily take a quick look and determine that the area is empty and you therefore have all your stuff, I can see how it could get left behind. I don't think I would forget it, because I tend to be slightly obsessive about making sure I have all my stuff, but one look at a public transit agency's lost & found is enough to show you how easy it is for many people to lose important stuff.

• Love 1

I have trouble distinguishing are between the two blonde women, I have to look at their partner to figure out which one it is.   I have the same issue with the two dark-haired women.  The blonde gay couple, I don't know who is who.  But none of the other guys look remotely alike to me.

To be fair to Phil, Jeff and Jackie have shared a room and a double bed at least three times.  When they showed the room on this episode, he mentioned they shared a bed the previous leg too.  And they were the first to the group hotel room (?) and it seemed they claimed the double bed.  When Phil asked his question at the pit stop, someone immediately said "these two" and pointed to Jeff and Jackie.  It does seem like they have a "thing" and everyone knows it.  Considering it was a blind date and it's the premise of the show, I don't fault Phil for asking.

However, when it's obvious that there doesn't seem to be anything there (the gay blondes for one) I do agree that he should stop asking.  Especially if they have already told him "we're just friends".

Speaking of Shared Room, I think this was first come first served judging from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1btWuh4y3LM Blair, Haley, Kurt and Bergen shared a room/suite

Hippie Rockers (claimed a taxi driver "stole" their passports, in fact they left their bags in the car on their own volition, eliminated)

The "hippie rockers" told their cab driver to wait, he agreed to.  Then he drove off.  Leaving your bags in the car and telling the driver to wait is done often on the race, it was bad luck that their driver took off with their stuff.

• Love 3