Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What Happened, And What's Going On

halgia
  • Start Topic

I wanted to cry when I saw Sasha at the end, so clearly in shock and numb, to the point where she could barely walk. I just want to hug her and tell her everything will be OK.

My wish list for next week is to have Maggie and maybe Daryl take a moment to comfort her. Maggie probably needs a shoulder to cry on as well, seeing as she just lost her father and her...cousin? Or was it her homeroom study buddy?

• Love 9

They can keep bringing back Ghost Martin if they want.    What a creepy fucker.    That's a good actor.

I didn't want Tyrese to die, rather go live in a monastery or something.

Fucking Beth singing.   Just no.

• Love 7

Well, it was only a matter of time.  As has been mentioned many times, Tyrese just wasn't cut out for a ZA world.  Kinda hate they made him deaf and stupid though.   He didn't hear the shuffling or moans of the walker!kid??!  And FFS, he was coming up on the walker!twin before detouring into the bedroom, so he KNEW it was about, but no, I want to lose myself totally in the pics on the wall and shun everything else in reality.  Sorry for the rant, but that death was both needless and made the character look like a total brainless twit in doing so.

Big loser in Tryese exiting 'Stage Death' is obviously Judith.  Poor kid.  I just hope it wasn't foreshadowing by having ballcap/gum-smacking douche keep saying that he kept telling Ty that it'd be him and the baby (that would die first or quickly).

I know next to nothing about the comics, but all that half-bodies outside the compound and then the upper torsos falling out of the back of that truck obviously means something that will be a big storyline later.  Freaking creepy for just a teaser of whatever it will be.

And lastly, for now;  I know they are going to go, but if its only 100 miles from where they were at, how do you not go for Washington?!  Even if it doesn't work out, nothing different from this failed trip.  Actually, scratch that.  They could be going in to another Atlanta, with huge herds because you know they aren't the only ones with the thought of going for the possible help/protection/safety of the federal capital.  Wonder how this will play out.

The biggest one was him not killing Martin. What if everyone else hadn't showed up so soon. What if Martin got back up and killed Judith? I don't hate Ty. I get where he was coming from, but he had a real reluctance to make those tough calls. And, ultimately, it was his mistake that got himself killed. He was standing there mesmerized by photos when that walker came after him. I was just saying it was a good thing his negligence didn't get anyone else killed. And, really, Tyrese didn't want to live in that world. He kept going because he thought he had to, others depended on him, his sister, etc. But he wasn't cut out for it and he knew it. He was weary of it and I think he was glad to die.

There was also the fiasco with Sasha and Bad Bob. 

I also took his death this way. He wanted to go.

• Love 1

The biggest one was him not killing Martin.

This annoyed me for both the character and the writers.  Martin threatened Judith with his hands at her neck.  He should have gotten zero chances.  Plus they heard him talking to the others casually about killing Carl & Michonne.  It's fine that Tyreese doesn't want to kill living people and has trouble adapting, but that just felt out of character and really weakened him IMO.  

• Love 8

My wish list for next week is to have Maggie and maybe Daryl take a moment to comfort her. Maggie probably needs a shoulder to cry on as well, seeing as she just lost her father and her...cousin? Or was it her homeroom study buddy?

It was that girl she met at camp once, I think.

• Love 12

Most interesting thing from that epiosde was the mystery of whatever happened in that gated community: front gate closed, fences breached (from the inside or outside?), grandfather clock laying on the main road (?), upper half bodies in one truck, lower halves somewhere else, houses semi-burned. I wish someone would csi that shit.

Looks like a large gang of savages overran the community.

Most likely at night.

What they didn't loot, destroyed and torched.

Whomever wasn't killed by them, walkers that also breached gate got them.

• Love 6

Beth really should've broken out in a more appropriate song. I'm thinking "Another Bites the Dust" would've worked.

"And another one's gone, and another one's gone...."

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 21

This episode was beautifully done. The entire cast was so good, I didn't even mind Emily's singing. Is it possible to write Chad Coleman in for an Oscar? Because I saw Benadryl Cumbersome's flick and Chad was better.

My Michonne was so good. See what happens when you let the Black folks do their thing?

Exquisite.

• Love 11

I still have to process this episode before I can decide how I feel about it.  I didn't hate it and Chad Coleman killed it but I'm just not sure I loved it.

One thing I did love was that Michonne actually got some screentime and also that she was the voice of optimism for a change.

• Love 8

They can keep bringing back Ghost Martin if they want.    What a creepy fucker.    That's a good actor.

I didn't want Tyrese to die, rather go live in a monastery or something.

Fucking Beth singing.   Just no.

I really like the actor too, I just found the gum chomping annoying. But maybe that was part of what made him stand out, who knows?

• Love 1

I really loved that episode.  It was different in a very cool way, and I got Rick and Glenn having a talk for the first time since the prison.  Rick and Michonne seem to have an understanding between them; even when there are others present, they talk mainly to each other.  I don't mean a romantic understanding, but a mutual respect and the ability to say what you're thinking without feeling judged.  Falling in love during a ZA is a recipe for heartbreak, but I really like those two and will support all their bad decisions.  I like Noah, and if taking him home was Beth's wish, that was a nice way to honour her kind-of pointless sacrifice.  The funeral was heart-breaking.  Poor Sasha has lost the two men she loved and she looked completely bereft, as did Maggie, losing another person so close after losing her sister.

I thought Tyreese's flashbacks were really well done.  He clearly had a lot of guilt about letting Martin live long enough to threaten the group and put Sasha in a place where she had to kill him instead.  He hoped the dead sisters and Beth had found the peace and security in death they were denied by the brutality of their lives.  The Governor reminded him that he had to pay the price for even the illusion of safety.  I thought Chad Coleman and David Morrissey were brilliant in their scenes.  Even in death, the Governor is a mean bastard.  Bob's kindness was palpable, a balm over the terror of pain and death.  Tyreese didn't want to die, not when he had Sasha waiting for him and Judith, but he didn't fear death either.  He was following familiar people, leaving behind those who would ensure his rest would be permanent.  "We bury our own".  RIP, Tyreese.  I didn't really like you very much, but you went out very, very well.

• Love 17

I think probably the actress wasn't available, but in the back of my head, the reason Karen didn't show up in Tyreese's hallucinations is because they had a friggin' two week romance and she really just wasn't as important to him as he had built her up in his head. She really didn't matter in the scheme of his life. (But this could be because I still have a headache from all the eye rolling I did when they shoehorned in Tyreese and Karen's instaromance right before she died.)

I was really hoping for a Hershel sighting though.

• Love 20

The title of this episode made me think it was a tribute to Lori and that we'd spend 47 minute listening to Rick tell her all the things and stuff he's done in the past two seasons.

The cinematography was some of the most beautiful camerawork I've ever seen.  Even if the episode completely lacked dialogue the photograph alone could have told the story.  Awards.  All the awards for the DP.

Re: the radio

Did anyone figure out what historical event it was referring to?  Parts of the broadcast made me think Rwandan genocide, but others sounded like the civil war in the DRC.  Was Tyrese a soldier in a previous life?  Please, help!

ETA:

The tension between Michonne and Rick was crackling like a live wire.  I know this show doesn't really do sex scenes, but just this one time, I think we need an exception.  She wants to start a life with you, Rick!   Create a family, a sense of permanence!  Go for it!

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 4

And lastly, for now;  I know they are going to go, but if its only 100 miles from where they were at, how do you not go for Washington?!  Even if it doesn't work out, nothing different from this failed trip.  Actually, scratch that.  They could be going in to another Atlanta, with huge herds because you know they aren't the only ones with the thought of going for the possible help/protection/safety of the federal capital.  Wonder how this will play out.

There are 100 reasons not to go to DC, even if you are close.  The reason for going to DC is that Rick saw that Michonne is on the verge of unravelling and needs somewhere to go, to have some hope.  I think Rick is at the point that there is no safe place, so do the thing that keeps everyone mostly sane and deal with it together when the shit hits the fan because it will eventually no matter where they go.

I don't get why Michonne is the one that seems to be falling apart right now because they are on the move.  She seemed to be the one who pulled it together the most after the prison fell and she found Rick and Carl.

• Love 3

Instead of wasting an entire episode on Tyreese (even if it was a good send-off for the character), I would have rather seen Maggie and Daryl dealing with Beth's death.

I'm glad Tyreese is finally dead. He was much too soft to survive that world. Always trying to look for the "nice" or "peaceful" solution to the situations the group gets in. This show has shown time and time again that preaching about morality drastically shortens your life-span. 

His death is his own fault. Taking the time to look at pictures instead of properly clearing the house? He's just made too many mistakes over the course of his run for me to be anything but thrilled that he's dead.

Its a shame, because I remember him being cool in the comics.

• Love 8

First episode back from the break and already another character dies. Overall, I liked Tyreese, and I thought this was a good sendoff episode for him. I understand emotional impact and all, but another death was too soon for me.

• Love 6
Did anyone figure out what historical event it was referring to?  Parts of the broadcast made me think Rwandan genocide, but others sounded like the civil war in the DRC.  Was Tyrese a soldier in a previous life?  Please, help!

He told Noah that his father was constantly listening to the news, and always wanted them to be aware of what was going on in the world. I have no idea what radio station they would be listening to hear those broadcasts, though. Maybe they lived in another country at some point? 

• Love 1

First episode back from the break and already another character dies. Overall, I liked Tyreese, and I thought this was a good sendoff episode for him. I understand emotional impact and all, but another death was too soon for me.

Yeah, and it sort of negated Beth's death.    I really wish one episode would consist of finding a warehouse full of beanie weenie, a huge cistern of water, and some board games. 

• Love 5

At least Tyreese got a good send-off episode. Chad L. Coleman did a great job.

I have to wonder if it was intentional that two Tyreese-heavy episodes, this and The Grove, both had a certain dreamlike quality to them. Perhaps a reflection of Tyreese's difficulty accepting what the world has become? Or am I putting way too much thought into this?

Probably more to do with the fact Scott Gimple wrote both.

• Love 2

Ty had to go because his boobies and visible nipples threatened the girls who couldn't show theirs, and wore push up bras instead.  So Abraham and his moobs are next, right?!  :-)

That's why MIchael Cudlitz has been throwing up after every meal.

• Love 3
I don't get why Michonne is the one that seems to be falling apart right now because they are on the move.  She seemed to be the one who pulled it together the most after the prison fell and she found Rick and Carl.

Everyone has their breaking point. Michonne has been a freakin' pillar of strength for so long, through so much. I have no issue with her having reached her limit.

• Love 16

Nope, he's still kicking, though there was a lot of focus on the cut on his head.  Hope he had his tetanus shot.  

I want to see someone turn because of this. A walker with lockjaw would be hilarious.

• Love 8

I know I should have gotten all weepy when Tyreese died, but I think all my tears were lost with Hershel's demise.

THIS.  It really bugs that they seemed focused on killing off the moral center types (Hershel, Bob, Tyreese) and the killing off of 2 male black characters within 8 episodes is really annoying me. It kinda took me out of enjoying the episode.

I'm so divided. I know Tyreese had to go because 1) He wasn't adjusting to the new normal 2) Their wasn't really any story potential after he and Carol mended fences but there are other characters I would have like to seen go first. :/ At least the cinematography was beautiful.

Man, I feel bad for Sasha. Kudos to the actress for selling Sasha's pain and numbness. So much better than Maggie's overwrought tears in Beth's episode.

• Love 5

I thought tyreese should have been able to catch Noah too. I was thinking it's Andrew Lincolns actual accent in the radio program too.

I hope we are done with these capsule episodes and get back on a narrative soon.

What I liked: the disjointed images at the beginning and the long shot near the end showing Tyrese's removal from the van.What I hated: nearly everything in between. Guess I'm in the minority, but I found the writing pretentious and bewildering. And the show had made me so sick of Tyrese that I couldn't even be very affected by his death.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 12

There are 100 reasons not to go to DC, even if you are close.  The reason for going to DC is that Rick saw that Michonne is on the verge of unravelling and needs somewhere to go, to have some hope.  I think Rick is at the point that there is no safe place, so do the thing that keeps everyone mostly sane and deal with it together when the shit hits the fan because it will eventually no matter where they go.

I think Michonne's just tired. She'd shut down for ages and now that she's trying to feel and live again, that means what she used to push down, like the relentless death toll and meaningless of life on the road, are getting at her. 

• Love 4
The tension between Michonne and Rick was crackling like a live wire.  I know this show doesn't really do sex scenes, but just this one time, I think we need an exception.  She wants to start a life with you, Rick!   Create a family, a sense of permanence!  Go for it!

This. If the writers don't want me to ship Rick and Michonne, then they need to stop putting in all these little moments between the two and showing Michonne being more of a mother figure to Carl and Judith than Lori ever was. Something about the Grimeses and Michonne just screams family to me.

• Love 9

I feel like Ty's death actually set the tone that they tried to sell too hard with Beth...that the light is going out of the world bit by bit, like it's the end of the era for goodness. I don't say this with any hate for EK but I still think her death was dumb. It felt like housecleaning and I still don't get what she got before she shanked Dawn.

Ty's departure feels like true lost potential.

• Love 13

Heartbreaking. Gut wrenching. I knew it was coming but seeing it play out was so sad and brutal. /sobs

Chad Coleman was so good. It must've been hard to film but he sold it: Tyreese's agony, his conversations with the dead, his speech to the Governor, how he slowly faded away in the back of the car. Everything. I always hated that Tyreese lacked character development and screen time because of Daryl, but Chad always did a great job with what little he was given. I am going to miss him a lot. As difficult as it was to watch Ty's slow death march, I appreciate that they show dedicated an entire episode to him. I only regret that Sasha didn't get to say goodbye to her brother. 

Loved Michonne's speech. Great job by DG. This group is really teetering on the edge and they need the occasional reminder that they need to keep going. And Michonne is one of the few that hasn't been emotionally gutted this season so she's perfect to keep their collective asses moving. 

Can we finally put to rest the doubts that Beth is truly  really positively dead? Sure we didn't see her burial but there can't possibly be any people left  who think she's still alive. Right?

As much as I loved this episode, I really need the group to get back together next week. I've had enough of them splitting up.

• Love 6

Now that had me up in my feels. Tyreese really wasn't built for this world. So sad. There is something really strange happening at that development. I didn't need to see Beth again and I certainly didn't need to hear her sing again, but I liked the style of this episode.

• Love 3

- Was that Andrew Lincoln's voice on Tyreese's internal radio (the British accent)?

(...)

- Glenn being put in such a central role makes me very nervous.

1) No, I don't think so.

2) I think Glenn just got a little bump from Daryl being offscreen.

• Love 2
Can we finally put to rest the doubts that Beth is truly  really positively dead? Sure we didn't see her burial but there can't possibly be any people left  who think she's still alive. Right?

I thought she was really most sincerely dead when I saw the top of her head explode.

• Love 18

I was glad that Rick and Glenn got a chance to finally talk. It has been ages. I am worried about Glenn though. He seems to be in despair. I also noticed how much older Steven Yeun looks now compared to how young and innocent Glenn was in the pilot.

The tension between Michonne and Rick was crackling like a live wire.  I know this show doesn't really do sex scenes, but just this one time, I think we need an exception.  She wants to start a life with you, Rick!   Create a family, a sense of permanence!  Go for it!

Freaking A. The show won't go there, but only because the writers are dumbasses. Rick listens to Michonne in way that he does not the others. He understood that she was desperate for them to find a home and a safe place for Carl and Judith. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

This. If the writers don't want me to ship Rick and Michonne, then they need to stop putting in all these little moments between the two and showing Michonne being more of a mother figure to Carl and Judith than Lori ever was. Something about the Grimeses and Michonne just screams family to me.

Well, Judith had more of a mother figure. But they just killed him off.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I didn't like the episode, it was a mess, pretentious and depressing as hell - and not only becausse Tyreese died. These people are broken and reaching for anything they can grasp, for instance, cannot believe for a second that Michonne, from all people, couldn't see Noah's gated community was not safe, and then really thought going to Washington is a good idea -no major city is a good idea. Find another gated community, build your own Woodbury and try to live to the best of your ability. They cannot run forever.

I don't get this "Tyreese is too good, too soft for this world" thinking. Why? Because he didn't want to kill one guy? By this thiking, there is not hope for the future, because all kids are too good for this world and, hey, what is their chance? Really, no. Tyreese didn't need to go and he did have a place in the group. It is infuriating that he died while Gabriel, who is trully useless, is still around, Chad was in my corner of the world once, and he was delight to fans and press. A very gentle and smiling man. Wishing him all the best and a new gig soon.

These folks have been on the run for a long time, sure they find many stores/places where they can get decent clothes and shoes. It was weird that they went after clothing itens, when we all know their real issue is food.

Noah is as useless as Gabriel. He can go anytime.

I don't remember the comics, but Beth singing sure was written only for the internet fans, right?

The Richonne feels were strong, but the writers will never go there.

Stubble Rick is hot as fuck. Full bearded Rick is not. Fix it, show.

• Love 11

Man, two major deaths in two episodes. Poor Tyreese! What a terrible way to go, I tell you. I had to turn my head at the amputation scene. I mean, that is very difficult to survive - he was already profusely bleeding before, then no tourniquet used? When they were driving in the car, I was like, "C'mon guys. He's going die" and was waiting for him to turn and attack Noah. And when they buried Ty, did they not at least give him a head shot, so he doesn't turn. I didn't see that.

Chad Coleman did a great job.

Same with the guy who plays Noah, though everytime he's on screen, I think "Hey, it's younger Orlando Jones." They so look like twins. I hope they don't kill off Noah. I really like his character.

I actually laughed when Beth appeared in screen singing. Oh god. Same with the Governor appearing. All I could think about was this forum and what you guys are going to post in the Beth thread or how you guys are going to react. *grin*

I thought it was a decent episode, gruesome but well done. So they are off to Washington. Oh, and Rick and Michonne forever! Those two work so well together and are so in tune with each other.

• Love 5

Beautiful episode.  I love Tyreese - Chad Coleman did a fantastic job.

When I saw them driving in the car at the beginning - I was happy to see a show with so many people of color.  Well damn - I should have known better.

But I have to say after watching Tyreese's death scene in the car - while It is a given that the death rate for black men on this show is high, if you are a blonde girl your death rate is pretty high also.

• Love 4