Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What Happened, And What's Going On

halgia
  • Start Topic

Instead of wasting an entire episode on Tyreese (even if it was a good send-off for the character), I would have rather seen Maggie and Daryl dealing with Beth's death.

yep, I was disppointed they didn't do anything with Maggie except for that short clip of her crying.(was that supposed to be Beth next to her? I know she was with the other group but I wanted to see her dealing a little bit of the aftermath of Beth's death. Maybe next week.

Tyrese is a big guy! What the hell?!  You'd think he could push that walker off him and defend himself better...unless walkers have gotten more powerful or something! I kept thinking, why didn't he at least tie something around his arm to stop the bleeding,unless he just didn't care, which it seemed.

Don't know how I felt about the hallucinations parts.

And for the record, I didn't feel emotional about T's death, at all. I didn't hate him or anything, but I didn't think it was that sad because it was for the best.

And I was wondering after he got bit if they'd pull a Hershel on him and cut the arm. But I'm glad they still went on and had him die.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

Honestly, I was bored to death for the first twenty minutes, but it did pick up once Tyreese got bitten.  Even with the whole "Maybe we can cut off his arm!" thing, I had a feeling his ticket was punched.  Chad L. Coleman did a great job and I'll miss his performance, but I can't say I'm that sadden over no more Tyreese.  I get what he was suppose to be: a decent man, stuck in an indecent world, who had problems adapting.  And, in real life, I would be all for it, but on the show, I found him boring at times and other times flat-out frustrating. I did like that him not killing Martin seemed to haunt him, and that maybe that one act of mercy really screwed things up for them. Either way, a nice send-off, but I'm OK with it.

I did like him hallucinating, and see past characters back from the dead.  Bob (yay!), Martin, The Governor (best use of him in a while, I thought), and  Mika/Creepy Lizzie were all welcomed.  Then, there was Beth.  Honestly, I flat-out started cackling when she started that stupid song.  I have to think that was on purpose; like the writers know that she isn't popular with some fans, so they were like "Oh, y'all thought we were done with her?  Fuck you and your ears!"  Amusing.

The stuff with Rick, Michonne, and Glenn was kind of interesting.  I understand why Michonne wants to try and settle again, but this clearly wasn't the right place.  It is interesting seeing her losing some of her coolness, after all that has happen.  Meanwhile, it's equally interesting seeing Glenn more colder and accepting of their likely fates.  I hope we get more Glen, and he isn't just regulated to background again (unless, this is all a set-up for his death!)  And, I wouldn't be against them going somewhere with Rick/Michonne, but I've kind of got a feeling this show won't go there for some odd reason.

I hope we get more of the rest of the characters soon.  I'm still wanting to see how Maggie and Daryl are like after Beth's death. And, we better get more of Sasha; she just lost Tyreese and Bob in just a few days, right?  And, I wonder what they have planed for Noah and the Abraham/Eugene/Rosita trio.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Everyone has their breaking point. Michonne has been a freakin' pillar of strength for so long, through so much. I have no issue with her having reached her limit.

Remember back in the church, when Carl was trying to explain the ZA facts of life ot FPP?  One of the things Carl said to FPP was, "You can't stay in one place any more for long" - which drew a sharp look from Michonne. 

I think Michonne has come full circle from her days of aimless wandering with Mike and Terry, and she now wants nothing more than a place where she can feel a sense of belonging and security.

• Love 12

I don't get this "Tyreese is too good, too soft for this world" thinking. Why? Because he didn't want to kill one guy? By this thiking, there is not hope for the future, because all kids are too good for this world and, hey, what is their chance? Really, no. Tyreese didn't need to go and he did have a place in the group. It is infuriating that he died while Gabriel, who is trully useless, is still around, Chad was in my corner of the world once, and he was delight to fans and press. A very gentle and smiling man. Wishing him all the best and a new gig soon.

I think Tyreese was often helpful to the group (and I'm glad Noah let him know his plan would have worked), but his morality also crippled him and haunted him, and led to some key mistakes. I think that's why he saw Martin. I also think he was so worn down by everything that when it came down to the crunch, he just couldn't keep going. Seeing Noah's dead family seemed to numb him to the point where he just checked out at the worst possible time.

• Love 4

I think Tyreese was often helpful to the group (and I'm glad Noah let him know his plan would have worked), but his morality also crippled him and haunted him, and led to some key mistakes. I think that's why he saw Martin. I also think he was so worn down by everything that when it came down to the crunch, he just couldn't keep going. Seeing Noah's dead family seemed to numb him to the point where he just checked out at the worst possible time.

Recalling our earlier discussion on pragmatism:

1. One of Tyreese's major weaknesses was his inability to accept the changes required to survive in the current world, i.e., trading in his pre-ZA moral idealism for post-ZA pragmatism.
  2. Martin was the archetypical representation of pragmatism carried to its ultimate (and unhealthy) extreme.
  • Love 2

I'm still not sure how I feel about this episode overall.  I think I'm going to need a rewatch because my immediate sense wasn't sadness as much as just a tired inevitability.

The one thing that really did stick out for me is just how over it all Michonne is.  When Tyreese was going on and on in the car about whatever he was talking about in the beginning, you could almost see her mentally thinking "dammit, I'm in the wrong car to have to listen to him talking about his feelings some more."  I liked that she was short with Rick when he was talking about scavenging supplies still without any sort of destination in mind.  She's tired of wandering and tired of subsisting, and good for fearless leader for finally getting that even if stumbling into a major metro area that they're unfamiliar with and is likely to be overrun seems like a bad idea all around.

They're not going to have ghost Beth show up to sing for every character they kill off from here on out, are they?

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 5

"Pretentious" sums it up pretty well. Character death is fine. But it should happen within an actual story. We didn't spend an entire episode watching Shane on his death bed. Or Dale. Even Herschel, despite all the martyr flags they were flying above him, had to share his death episode with an actual storyline. But when it's time for Bob to go, he takes up half an hour. Beth dominates a three-episode story arc.

And Tyreese? What exactly happened this week?

They're going to Washington for no reason? OK, that's zero things.

They found a bunch of half-torsos? OK, that's one thing, but it's one thing that only takes up a couple minutes of the show, so I'm going to want more.

And Tyreese got bitten by a zombie and died.

That;s literally it. 

Except for the writers bombarding us with a bunch of head-up-the-ass artsy-fartsiness.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 9

That should have been a loving tribute to Tyreese but no instead you torment him and ME as a viewer by having to look at that fucking piece of garbage, the Governor??? Ugh.

Tyrese inner turmoil was showcased during his final moments.

It made sense for Brillip to show up, ditto for Martin.

• Love 3

Tyrese inner turmoil was showcased during his final moments.

It made sense for Brillip to show up, ditto for Martin.

Yes, I understood the artistic idea behind what they were doing and I fucking hated it. I think it was awful. YMMV

• Love 5

When you have a good actor giving such a moving performance you can honestly feel the emotions the show clearly wants you to feel. Nice touch with Martin Gov'not and everybody almost like heaven and hell. RIP Tyreese. Gonna miss you.

• Love 5

Then, there was Beth.  Honestly, I flat-out started cackling when she started that stupid song.  I have to think that was on purpose; like the writers know that she isn't popular with some fans, so they were like "Oh, y'all thought we were done with her?  Fuck you and your ears!"  Amusing.

As a strong disliker of Beth, I howled with laughter when she showed up with her guiter and started singing. The writers have a hell of a sense of humor. 

I know many complain that the show keeps killing off all the black male characters, but seeing the 3 girls ushering Tyreese to the afterlife reminded me that it's also not safe on this show for young blonde girls. Amy, Sophie, Lizzie, Mika, and Beth all died far too young.

• Love 20

I didn't like the episode, it was a mess, pretentious and depressing as hell - and not only becausse Tyreese died. These people are broken and reaching for anything they can grasp, for instance, cannot believe for a second that Michonne, from all people, couldn't see Noah's gated community was not safe, and then really thought going to Washington is a good idea -no major city is a good idea. Find another gated community, build your own Woodbury and try to live to the best of your ability. They cannot run forever.

Remember back in the church, when Carl was trying to explain the ZA facts of life ot FPP?  One of the things Carl said to FPP was, "You can't stay in one place any more for long" - which drew a sharp look from Michonne. 

I think Michonne has come full circle from her days of aimless wandering with Mike and Terry, and she now wants nothing more than a place where she can feel a sense of belonging and security.

I think that's Michonne is tired. Not only that when she was wandering after the prison burned down and she saw that dooplganger walker she realized it was not good to out wandering too long. You have to find away to make some sort of civilization for yourself or you go feral. Sure that community wasn't a great idea but she knows they have to have a plan. 

• Love 3

Hunters from Terminus?  They had the same marks Morgan was following and Gareth said they marked their path.

Could they be the same things the crazy guy at Terminus (that Glenn handily happened to recall this episode--maybe to remind us?) had tattooed on his face?

• Love 1

OK, I can't help contrasting Beth's death and Tyrese's.  Tyrese got the better part of an hour, flashbacks, ghost cameos, an explanation for his actions and everything wrapped up.  Then on Talking Dead there were quotes from TPTB how much they all loved Chad and were glad they could give his character a special sendoff.  Beth had her head blown off as the episode was ending, after doing something stupid.  Kind of makes me wonder how TPTB felt about Emily versus how they felt about Chad.  Or at least where the characters were ranked in their minds with regard to importance.

They're not going to have ghost Beth show up to sing for every character they kill off from here on out, are they?

Oh, please no...

ETA: I was honestly relieved that we were spared an hour of people sobbing over Beth.  I was dreading this episode because of that.  Other people have died and they had a funeral and moved on.  Even Sofia's death didn't have characters sobbing for days afterward.  I sincerely hope that when we get back to the rest of the group we're spared the sackcloth and ashes.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 6

Tyreese is the only character to get a whole episode devoted to his death. Despite this, I still found Hershel's death to be by far the most traumatic death.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I felt like the episode was more about overall themes of good and evil and survival in a horrific, increasingly desolate world than just about Tyreese. 

I think Beth's death was also supposed to be about that, but it wasn't executed all that well.

The episode felt like one long goodbye to various ghosts of the past that have never totally gone away (which is why I wish Hershel had been there).

I saw on TD that Gale Anne Hurd said that if people didn't cry at this episode, they had hearts of stone. I was sad over Tyreese, but I didn't really cry. To be fair, I don't cry at most deaths on this show (the closest would probably be Lori and poor beautiful psychic friend Jim), but I was a little distracted by some of the sillier bits, and I'm also just kind of death-ed out. 

I will give the show credit for handling each of the three big deaths this season (Bob, Beth, Tyreese) very differently, though. 

• Love 5

I really loved that episode.  It was different in a very cool way, and I got Rick and Glenn having a talk for the first time since the prison.  Rick and Michonne seem to have an understanding between them; even when there are others present, they talk mainly to each other.  I don't mean a romantic understanding, but a mutual respect and the ability to say what you're thinking without feeling judged.  Falling in love during a ZA is a recipe for heartbreak, but I really like those two and will support all their bad decisions.  I like Noah, and if taking him home was Beth's wish, that was a nice way to honour her kind-of pointless sacrifice.  The funeral was heart-breaking.  Poor Sasha has lost the two men she loved and she looked completely bereft, as did Maggie, losing another person so close after losing her sister.

I thought Tyreese's flashbacks were really well done.  He clearly had a lot of guilt about letting Martin live long enough to threaten the group and put Sasha in a place where she had to kill him instead.  He hoped the dead sisters and Beth had found the peace and security in death they were denied by the brutality of their lives.  The Governor reminded him that he had to pay the price for even the illusion of safety.  I thought Chad Coleman and David Morrissey were brilliant in their scenes.  Even in death, the Governor is a mean bastard.  Bob's kindness was palpable, a balm over the terror of pain and death.  Tyreese didn't want to die, not when he had Sasha waiting for him and Judith, but he didn't fear death either.  He was following familiar people, leaving behind those who would ensure his rest would be permanent.  "We bury our own".  RIP, Tyreese.  I didn't really like you very much, but you went out very, very well.

What bothered me was them having to have the characters in this episode ham-handedly mention several times that Noah said that Beth said that she wanted to go with him and help him get back to his home.  Why could they not take a couple minutes during Beth's 3 big episodes to have Beth and Noah actually discuss this, so it didn't feel so shoehorned.  (Welp, Noah said Beth said it was what she wanted, so that's what we're doing...)

Yeah, and it sort of negated Beth's death.    I really wish one episode would consist of finding a warehouse full of beanie weenie, a huge cistern of water, and some board games. 

I don't get how Tyrese's death negated Beth's.  

Man, two major deaths in two episodes. Poor Tyreese! What a terrible way to go, I tell you. I had to turn my head at the amputation scene. I mean, that is very difficult to survive - he was already profusely bleeding before, then no tourniquet used? When they were driving in the car, I was like, "C'mon guys. He's going die" and was waiting for him to turn and attack Noah. And when they buried Ty, did they not at least give him a head shot, so he doesn't turn. I didn't see that.

Chad Coleman did a great job.

Same with the guy who plays Noah, though everytime he's on screen, I think "Hey, it's younger Orlando Jones." They so look like twins. I hope they don't kill off Noah. I really like his character.

I actually laughed when Beth appeared in screen singing. Oh god. Same with the Governor appearing. All I could think about was this forum and what you guys are going to post in the Beth thread or how you guys are going to react. *grin*

I thought it was a decent episode, gruesome but well done. So they are off to Washington. Oh, and Rick and Michonne forever! Those two work so well together and are so in tune with each other.

I was fairly sure that was why they stopped on the road as soon as he diedand pulled him out of the van, to do the deed and make sure he didn't turn before they took the body back, so Sasha didn't have to see his body being stabbed in the head.  I'll have to re-watch to be 100% sure.

• Love 5

I felt like the episode was more about overall themes of good and evil and survival in a horrific, increasingly desolate world than just about Tyreese. 

I think Beth's death was also supposed to be about that, but it wasn't executed all that well.

The episode felt like one long goodbye to various ghosts of the past that have never totally gone away (which is why I wish Hershel had been there).

I saw on TD that Gale Anne Hurd said that if people didn't cry at this episode, they had hearts of stone. I was sad over Tyreese, but I didn't really cry. To be fair, I don't cry at most deaths on this show (the closest would probably be Lori and poor beautiful psychic friend Jim), but I was a little distracted by some of the sillier bits, and I'm also just kind of death-ed out. 

I will give the show credit for handling each of the three big deaths this season (Bob, Beth, Tyreese) very differently, though. 

My post menopausal brain causes inexplicable crying all the fucking time, yet Ty's death left me tearless.  Why, show, why?

• Love 2

The Washington idea just gets worse and worse. At least originally, they were following an anecdotal claim that there was a useful group there. Now, not even that.

Even if they magically knew exactly what research facility to look around in, what are they expecting to find, exactly? A whole room full of "Acme Zombie Cure" smoke bombs? There might be something, of theoretical potential cure-use, but not one of them has the training to know what the hell to look for, in the unlikely event that there even is anything there. 

And they can't fix a broken fence, but they can de-zombify a huge crowded city? What, do they think the zombies will just leave Washington when their term limits expire?

If even Michonne is going to be this stupid, can we at least streamline things a little bit and kill off Abe and Eugene?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

The last thing they showed during the scene on the road was Michonne pulling out her katana while the others walked away.  So I'm assuming she respectfully stabbed him in the side of the head.  That's why his face was unmarred during the funeral scene.

Good episode.  I was captivated.

• Love 7

I think Washington is just a way of saying they're tired and can't take anymore. Michonne just wants to go somewhere, anyway. They've been wandering for however long since the prison fell, no particular place to go. Sanctuary was a trap. The church was a holding spot. The cure was a lie. I don't think mentally she is in a place of processing the larger concept of whether it's safe or not, because nowhere is safe. She just wants a place to go. When they get there, they get there.

• Love 8

Can we finally put to rest the doubts that Beth is truly  really positively dead? Sure we didn't see her burial but there can't possibly be any people left  who think she's still alive. Right?

You'd be surprised. *coughchecktumblrcough*

I don't think we'll be seeing anymore about Beth's funeral or wathever happened right after. Kinda like when Hershell died. I think the writers took advantage of the hiatus, allowing the viewers time to distance themselves from these three-seasons-old characters dying, and starting the 2nd part of the season without showing much the aftermath, the grieving, etc.

• Love 1

I think Washington is just a way of saying they're tired and can't take anymore. Michonne just wants to go somewhere, anyway. They've been wandering for however long since the prison fell, no particular place to go. Sanctuary was a trap. The church was a holding spot. The cure was a lie. I don't think mentally she is in a place of processing the larger concept of whether it's safe or not, because nowhere is safe. She just wants a place to go. When they get there, they get there.

I agree.  It'snot some much Washington as the idea of Washington and what it represents. They need a place to set up a community and try to hang onto their humanity. I think Rick gets that and that's why he agreed to Washington.

• Love 1

Aw, poor Tyreese.  Walker killing skills were mediocre at best but he was the best babysitter ever.  No one could change a diaper like Tyreese.  What a sad sendoff.

I watched The Grove earlier today so when Mika and Lizzie reappeared I got extra teary-eyed.

Instead of Beth I would rather have seen Karen be one of his spirit guides.  But I understand why Beth, Bob, Martin, the Governor, and the girls were used - they were his unresolved issues. 

As a strong disliker of Beth, I howled with laughter when she showed up with her guiter and started singing. The writers have a hell of a sense of humor.

I had to laugh at Emily's whiny attempts at singing, I don't think it was an accident the editing monkeys had Judith's crying superimposed over her warbling.

Dismembered bodies - something really hinky happened at Shirewilt, some living humans did some real damage.  I got a giggle at the graffiti on the wall:  "WOLVES NO FAIR."  As if humans and walkers weren't enough, lupine predators had to add insult to injury.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6

I was cringing when they were dragging poor Tyreese down the street, through barbed wire etc.. It did illustrate the fact that dying a peaceful death in a quiet room is a total luxury at this point. I'm chalking up the bad decision making to the fact that "they have been out there too long" and the fatigue and hunger are making them careless. 

Also, something about the walkers teeth snapping really freaks me out! Lots of that in this episode.

• Love 3

Also, something about the walkers teeth snapping really freaks me out! Lots of that in this episode.

I've become so blase about gore on this show (I was sitting and eating a snack throughout the episode), and I guess Nicotero is aware of how many viewers have this reaction, so they must be going for even more gore. I'll give them points for that last walker Tyreese killed - the snapping teeth, the ferocity and deadness in his eyes, Tyreese having him bite his already infected arm...all genuinely scary moments.

• Love 4

I have a question.  Did Michonne's Katana break off when she hit that one zombie? 

It looked like the walker had some iron fencing though it's neck, so when she hit it, it knocked her katana out of her hand.  Not to worry, it is still in one piece.

• Love 6

One nitpick from this ep (I think?):  Wasn't there a screen door as part of the entrance/exit to Noah's house, ie a screen door and then the 'inside' door that had the broken glass?  I ask because unless the adult caucasian walker was already in the house, how did it enter without hearing the door bang shut against the frame when it came in to the home?  Even if Noah left the other door wide open in his haste to get help for Tyrese, the walker would still have to deal with the screen door - which, upon more thought, would have had to pull out (or at itself) to get in.  Must have already been in the house, only reasonable explanation.

And not a nitpick, but just a general "just WTF happened!?" re: the inside of Noah's house.  I know not everything can or does get explained, and some people prefer to be left guessing, but I can't help but wish we had gotten an explanation of how the events unfolded.  Its clear that Momma either 'opted out' or someone did it for her.  If she opted out, did she do so knowing full well her twins were left at risk?  Was the one twin already dead/turned and that was her way of dealing?  If she was killed, was it by the twin that was eaten?  If by someone else, why kill just her and not the twins??   If the adult walker that attacked Tryese was inside the house already, why was it there?  

Gah.   For whatever reason, I so feel the need to know what the flip happened in that house!

I have a question.  Did Michonne's Katana break off when she hit that one zombie?

It looked like the walker had some iron fencing though it's neck, so when she hit it, it knocked her katana out of her hand.  Not to worry, it is still in one piece.

Correct.  Michonne swung for a decapitating strike, but was shocked when the blade bounced back - at which point you could could see the walker had a chunk of rebar stuck down its collarbone parallel to its neck.  I hated seeing that - it quite possibly put a nasty nick in her blade.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4

Its clear that Momma either 'opted out' or someone did it for her. If she opted out, did she do so knowing full well her twins were left at risk? Was the one twin already dead/turned and that was her way of dealing? If she was killed, was it by the twin that was eaten? If by someone else, why kill just her and not the twins?? If the adult walker that attacked Tryese was inside the house already, why was it there?

Gah. For whatever reason, I so feel the need to know what the flip happened in that house!

Somebody beat Noah's mother's head in.

Somebody beat Noah's mother's head in.

I'm not disagreeing, because that was my initial thought too.  But when they showed Tyrese's view of looking back at the body from behind the couch, it looked like either an entrance or exit wound in the back of her skull, from something if not a gunshot.  So based on that, it looks like either someone shorter (like one of the twins) shot her in the back of the head and blew out the big chunk out of the top of her cranium, she somehow suicided by shooting herself in the back of the head from a low angle, or someone both bashed her head in and then shoved whatever (fire poker/crowbar/etc) through her skull too.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

I don't get how "families" are constantly split-up on this show. In a ZA, I'm sure as hell sticking with my kids/brother/husband no matter how small the errand!

In addition to the chomping teeth, I got a good scare out of hallucination-Gov'na turning into real-world zombie as he lunged at Ty. 

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 8

I was cringing when they were dragging poor Tyreese down the street, through barbed wire etc.. It did illustrate the fact that dying a peaceful death in a quiet room is a total luxury at this point. I'm chalking up the bad decision making to the fact that "they have been out there too long" and the fatigue and hunger are making them careless. 

When they decided to leave the car a couple of miles back that was a major facepalm moment for me.  What if someone got injured and they needed to high-tail it out of there while carrying someone?  (Guess what happened.)  What if they found a lot of supplies where loading the car would be far easier than trying to lug everything back or leave some behind?  Also, why garbage bags instead of looking for duffel bags and backpacks in the garages and homes, easier to carry and they could keep their hands free.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 8