Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What Happened, And What's Going On

halgia
  • Start Topic

I was not a fan of this episode. I liked Tyrese in the beginning, but became increasingly frustrated with him. So while his death was sad, I didn't need to spend an hour on his character. Sorry.

I was hoping this episode would deal with the fallout from Beth's death, and would also have the crew moving forward. 

It was 17 days later and the characters kept bringing up Beth, even Martin (who never met her or even knew about her in life) during one of Tyreese's hallucinations.  Taking Noah to Shirewilt was their way of honoring her.  Plus she appeared herself as a hallucination as someone Tyreese had unfinished business dealing with (he blamed himself for the hospital negotiation going bad, Noah tried to console him).  I think Beth got plenty of attention and we did see some emotional fallout - Tyreese's angst, Maggie crying, Noah moping, Rick determined to carry out Beth's last wish, Glenn's angst, etc.  At least she was last seen driving Tyreese to some hallucinatory afterworld, the best Hershel got was being a zombie head that had to be put out of its misery by Michonne.

• Love 1

All signs point to ***Richonne 4 Evaaah!!!*** so now I know for sure it ain't gonna happen.  My hatred for the chain yanking of TPTB continues to burn white hot.  I assume they'll wheel out some suitably appropriate female (about whom I will not give one tiny sh!t) to catch Rick's eye sometime in the back half.  Bastards.

Well, it was pretty funny.  I'm sorry if that offends (not really!  Michonne and I are growing extremely impatient with the hopeless, sad sack, Debbie downer nihilistic tone of this show.  I wish Shane was around to crack some juvenile joke or sarcastic comment, ANYTHING would do at this point.  Also, Rick, wake the f&ck up man, the lady Michonne needs a damned hug, at the very least).

^ That. Hands down. I don't see why it wouldn't go there. Those two have kick ass chemistry together.

Just like Bethyl or Caryl, I don't see any signs but the shippers will. The lack of romance between Rick and Michonne is getting blamed on the network and it isn't because of them.

Michonne has quite a bit of romance in the canon---with other people, and it has been announced some time ago that the show will follow the comic more closely.

What is a "suitably appropriate female"?

I don't usually like shows shot/ framed this way, but this episode really pulled me in. I didn't have strong feelings about Tyrese either way but I appreciated the way they showed they showed us how conflicted he's been about all the ghosts' deaths.

Was it a "W", or "XX" on the foreheads?

I thought it was XX. I have no idea what it means. I was wondering if it's possible that the Half Zombies were the folks who lived ther and whatever big bad came through cut them in half before hey werezombiesas some sort of messed up torture. Like let them bleed out and turn one by one while making the others watch? But Noah's mom and bro were killed in the house, so who knows.

I'm not sure if I'm a Rick/ Michomne shipper, but I loved when Rick reached out and gently touched her arm, and they look he gave her. They clearly get each other and have formed a close bond.

• Love 1

Just like Bethyl or Caryl, I don't see any signs but the shippers will. The lack of romance between Rick and Michonne is getting blamed on the network and it isn't because of them.

Michonne has quite a bit of romance in the canon---with other people, and it has been announced some time ago that the show will follow the comic more closely.

Ah I see.

No clue on that tbh. It doesn't seem as if he's all that interested in dating anyone from the looks of things show wise.

• Love 1

Hey, you people who watch these episodes multiple times (you know who you are):  Was it ever definitively said that the radio voices Daryl/Tyrese/Bob/etc heard when driving to raid the vet school came from Terminus?  I know Terminus had a radio, but I don't remember that ever being explained.  If not, that's a bid "what-the-hell."  (Or was that something else that was explained on the Talking Dead.  Sheesssh.)

This answer is late, but in addition to Bob telling about it you can go back and play that episode with the CC on and the speaker is saying Come to Terminus etc.

• Love 1

Ah I see.

No clue on that tbh. It doesn't seem as if he's all that interested in dating anyone from the looks of things show wise.

Not that I will tell details here---I won't---- but

but there is a hugely important character with interesting lifestyle (ahem) coming up--- but who knows when?

I agree with this. 

I don't see any chemistry between any of them, tbh.  I believe that Glenn & Maggie /Abe & Rosita / (past-Bob & Sasha) lust each other, but I can't recall ever watching scenes between them, or any other possible pairing, and thinking to myself "wow, those two are so in looooove & are a OTP!".  Hell, even the past pairings of both Rick & Lori and Shane & Lori never were believable as they were portrayed.

The only time I got a vibe for a (future) PLI was the scene between Rick & Andrea when they were at the desk in that building and she was 'stealing' the dolphin jewelry for Amy.  That 'moment' between them was the only one that's ever made me go "huh" - even if just slightly - in that respect. 

I could see "Caryl" happening if they decide to do it, but they need to sell it harder before it happens.  Hard to tell if their glances/looks & banter are of the 'in love' variety or if they are just really close like siblings.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

Lots of great comments about hope, hopeless, brutality and survival and how TWD balances the presentation of these concepts.

This all goes back to the beaten-over-our-heads moral of the story that you have to shed all traces of caring about others that aren't your 'family' to survive in this world.

True. However, I'm not convinced that any of our main characters have surrendered to this completely and fully...at least none that are still alive. 

From reading the posts on this page, I gather that a lot of people are frustrated by the lack of hope.  This does not bother me at all.  Sometimes there is no hope and realizing this fact is facing reality.  Greg Nicotero said the show would be increasingly dark.  It is getting worse and worse and worse.  I would imagine that the end of the world would be like that.  

Count me among those that are frustrated by the lack of hope. I'm finding less and less entertainment value in "dark and hopeless;" it is wearing me down. Even though I am sure that the end of the world would be as it is depicted, I need to see more of a balance. I don't think the writers do a great job of it. However, having said that, I realize that achieving this balance in a satisfying way is a very difficult task.

To each his own, but I disagree. I loved the farm episodes and all the moral quandaries that surfaced. Do we keep looking for a lost, little girl day after day, or move on? Do we help these strangers that just showed up on our farm, or kick them out? Is this really a world we want our son to live in, or would we rather he die and be spared all this suffering?  Is it our place to kill walkers in someone else's barn? And, of course, Randall. Do I want entire seasons of nothing BUT morality debates? No. But I don't want constant group cohesion either. It would feel unnatural. I'm not just interested in seeing how a group of survivors would physically deal with this world; I want to know how they would navigate around all the other stuff that crops up. 

Exactly. At the time, I was grew weary of the farm set-up. In retrospect, I have a greater appreciation for those issues/discussions and how they were presented. I just don't need to re-visit this debate in every episode. Much of it depends on how it is presented and the characters involved. I bought Herschel's point of view. Dale and Tyreese, not so much. 

That's it precisely. It's totally realistic that each character would have to come to terms with this issue, and even that it would be the central issue they would face. But as a viewer I just find it tired that they keep exploring the same premise over and over again. Even the Terminus stuff revolved around exactly the same theme - butcher or be butchered, do you have what it takes, etc.  

I thought that the Terminus stuff had a lot of promise and I was prepared to hate it. I will never understand why they blew thru it so quickly especially when it was replaced by Father Gabriel and Beth and the hospital from hell. 

I think that there are too many characters in the show. As a result, some are written into corners (Tyreese, Andrea) and when they can't write them out of the corner, they become walker-chow. Some story lines move too quickly (Terminus) and some drag on forever (The Gov). 

• Love 1

I just couldn't buy into the whole "We;re fulfilling Beth's final wish by going to Richmond" business. She knew Noah for what, a week or so? She didn't know if anyone else from her original group was alive besides Daryl. So at the hospital she casually mentioned to Noah (after he described his old neighborhood) "Sure, if we get out, I'll go with you there." It wasn't like her heartfelt quest or anything.

I think this is all about Rick's mindset.  Hershel convinced Rick it was time to settle in and make the prison a home for Carl.  The prison fell.  When they were separated, I think Rick accepted that he couldn't give Carl and Judith a normal life.  He doesn't see any place as safe.  He knows if they settle, someone is going to come after what they have, so he's indifferent to keeping moving or settling down.

At the same time, I think he sees that some of his group needs hope or a home.  So he lets Glenn and Maggie go along on Eugene's wild goose chase and plans to follow.  He fulfills Beth's promise because some need to do something for Beth and others have hope of a home.  That fails and he agrees to go 100 more miles to DC because Michonne is falling apart and needs it. 

I think highly populated areas are asking for more trouble but I think Rick is not in a mood to argue the lesser of bad options when his group feels strongly about a particular destination.  They'll deal with what comes because that is what they do.  So far, both scarcely and densely populated areas and everywhere in-between has had casualties.

Tyrese was a nice man but I won't miss him.  He was just too hesitant--stupid--in situations where he shouldn't/couldn't afford to be.  I said a couple of seasons ago that I wouldn't want to have to depend on him in the ZA.  Hell, I'd be afraid to depend on him in any dangerous situation.   

Oh well, at least you can rest in peace now, Tyrese.  Although when he shows up, Karen says "who?"

• Love 2

I wasn't sure. I saw them pull Tyreese's body from the car to the road (and thought they aren't going to leave him there, are they??), but didn't see any action or motion that seemed like a headshot. Then when they were burying him, they showed his forehead all clean and undamaged. I mean, I hope they would have done a head shot, it just wasn't obvious.

I saw it too.  Right before the cutaway Michonne pulls her katana out of the sheath.  I think they stuck him in the neck or somewhere in the back of his head so Sasha didn't have to see a messed up face along with an amputated arm when they brought his body back.  I'm pretty sure that's why they stopped along the road in the first place - to stab Tyreese before he turned.

Edited by GreyBunny

Not that I will tell details here---I won't---- but

but there is a hugely important character with interesting lifestyle (ahem) coming up--- but who knows when?

Ah.

He's going to be dating a walker? <-- ok any jokes aside, I literally have no idea about said character. Could you shoot me a PM about it?

My SO, who watches the show but doesn't care about it more than that weekly hour,  just finished this episode and had four comments. I found it interesting ebcasue the is trully the casual viewer that sometimes asks me about a plot or a minor character he cannot remember.

"I thought that with Beth dead we would never have to endure her singing again."

"This episode is boring."

"You know what drives these folks? Their stupidity. They make the stupidest decisions."

"Who is going to take care of Judith now? Damn, I like that baby. They better not kill little Judith."

• Love 3

I think Rick gave extra weight to the DC option because it came from Michonne.  The roamer who wants to settle, kind of the opposite of Rick himself who was settled in his world before the ZA, at Herschel's farm and at the prison before all were taken and he took to the nomadic life.  Michonne had a settled life before the ZA too but spent longer on the road.  She never made it to the farm and was often off the prison, tracking the Governor.  She seemed determined not to settle again, now she wants a home base and something more than just making it day by day.  Michonne is the person Rick trusts to care for his children in his absence so I believe he realized she was factoring them into her wish for sanctuary.  He may not believe in his heart that anywhere will stay safe for long, which is something Carl already said to Father Gabriel, but he'll give it a shot because it's an option and the group isn't overly blessed with those.  Given Woodbury, the assaults on the prison, Terminus and the cesspit of Grady Memorial, how bad can DC be?  (Rhetorical question overlaid with sarcasm!) 

• Love 3

Hey, you people who watch these episodes multiple times (you know who you are):  Was it ever definitively said that the radio voices Daryl/Tyrese/Bob/etc heard when driving to raid the vet school came from Terminus?  I know Terminus had a radio, but I don't remember that ever being explained.  If not, that's a bid "what-the-hell."  (Or was that something else that was explained on the Talking Dead.  Sheesssh.)

I believe that Bob was the one who confirmed that the radio broadcast was from Terminus.  He said he put it all together when he read the words on the sign when he and Maggie and Sasha were walking along the railroad tracks.  He recognized the words from the radio broadcast.  

This answer is late, but in addition to Bob telling about it you can go back and play that episode with the CC on and the speaker is saying Come to Terminus etc.

IIRC, during one of the Terminus scenes, Mary was either broadcasting the message or someone said something to her about doing so.

I kind of want a shot or two of Judith looking around for her giant teddy bear person next week.

• Love 1

IIRC, during one of the Terminus scenes, Mary was either broadcasting the message or someone said something to her about doing so.

I kind of want a shot or two of Judith looking around for her giant teddy bear person next week.

There was some other lady at the mic when the 4some went in the back way and met Gareth in the poster room. Then Gareth made his brother give them a "tour" to the place where Mary was fixin' up a plate of vittles.

• Love 1

Was there no room on the 'death express to heaven' for Andrea, Hershel and Karen too?  Or were Beth, Bob and the two little girls taking up all of the spare seats?

The people Tyreese saw were those he had conflicted feelings about or felt somehow responsible for their deaths.  The Governor - for almost being seduced to join him in being a bad guy, Bob and Martin - for not killing Martin which may have led to Bob being captured and eaten, Mika and Lizzie - for not being able to keep them alive and safe, Beth - the feeling that his idea to negotiate with Dawn's people was the wrong decision and led to Beth's death.

• Love 2

I was frustrated with Tyreese at times, but....today I was remembering when asshole Martin was needling Ty about protecting Judith when she wasn't even his baby and he said "She's my friend." Bam, tears. I shed a damn tear on the treadmill because of my zombie show.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 7

It's a ZA, so I expect people to die, however, the writers need to get smarter about how they do this so the characters don't look like idiots.

Couldn't they have at least given a little thought to staying in that place, and re-building the wall?  With all the psycho killers wondering around that our group manages to run into on a regular basis, I can assure the writers if the group doesn't stay on the road, the killers will still find them.  Especially since the ZA seems to be comprised of psycho killers, people who are to stupid to live, and people who are able to survive until the writers need them to be to stupid to live.

• Love 6

The people Tyreese saw were those he had conflicted feelings about or felt somehow responsible for their deaths.  The Governor - for almost being seduced to join him in being a bad guy, Bob and Martin - for not killing Martin which may have led to Bob being captured and eaten, Mika and Lizzie - for not being able to keep them alive and safe, Beth - the feeling that his idea to negotiate with Dawn's people was the wrong decision and led to Beth's death.

I got that -- I was basically attempting to be funny with my comment -- although I think some of the people Tyreese 'saw' were a stretch (in terms of somehow connecting himself to being responsible).  At that rate, he could have been conflicted about not helping to protect Karen (at the prison) or Andrea (at Woodbury) too.  But then the death express car ride would have been mighty crowded!

Honestly, I think that the TWD folks just got whoever was available to show up as ghosts, and worked around it.  It's not that it wasn't effective -- it was.   But with as much mourning and agonizing as Tyreese did over Karen, it really would have seemed ideal for her to show up -- and I don't think the actress was available.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

I got that -- I was basically attempting to be funny with my comment -- although I think some of the people Tyreese 'saw' were a stretch (in terms of somehow connecting himself to being responsible).  At that rate, he could have been conflicted about not helping to protect Karen (at the prison) or Andrea (at Woodbury) too.  But then the death express car ride would have been mighty crowded!

The other possibility is that its tied to his father never turning off the radio to ignore what's happened and what's going on.

The Governor, he agreed to join because he didn't have his eyes open to see what he was.  Mika and Lizzie's death kicked off a failure to cope during which he didn't kill Martin and Bob and Beth got killed.  Maybe Tyreese not looking away wouldn't have changed anything but I thought that was the whole theme of the episode.

• Love 2
At that rate, he could have been conflicted about not helping to protect Karen (at the prison) or Andrea (at Woodbury) too.  But then the death express car ride would have been mighty crowded!

That would have been something to see. Martin and The Gov in the back, Herschel riding in the bitch seat, Andrea clinging to the roof, T-Dog and Oscar there to welcome Tyreese to the club. Beautiful.

• Love 3

"I thought that with Beth dead we would never have to endure her singing again."

"This episode is boring."

Just watched. I agree with your husband.

I see Michonne got a new pair of low-slung, skin tight pants. How nice.

I enjoyed seeing Philip again, even with the hole in his head. That's all.

• Love 1

I thought that the Terminus stuff had a lot of promise and I was prepared to hate it. I will never understand why they blew thru it so quickly especially when it was replaced by Father Gabriel and Beth and the hospital from hell. 

I think that there are too many characters in the show. As a result, some are written into corners (Tyreese, Andrea) and when they can't write them out of the corner, they become walker-chow. Some story lines move too quickly (Terminus) and some drag on forever (The Gov). 

I don't think the problems with Tyreese and Andrea were from too many characters. If anything, it was just the opposite with Andrea - Lori was the only other lead female on the show for most of Andrea's run. There was plenty of opportunity to properly write for and showcase Andrea. Unfortunately something went wrong with the execution of most of her stories after Amy died - they too frequently wrote her as harsh and isolated without letting us see more sides to her, or writing to Laurie Holden's strengths. In season 3, she had great chemistry with Danai Gurira and none with David Morrissey, yet she had a handful of scenes with Danai and 1500 with David. They just threw the character into various plots that made her look stupid, and the fans who had already disliked or hated her became numerous. Add in that there's a punishing attitude toward women among fandom and that the showrunner at the time seemed to see killing characters as the ideal, and she was toast.

Tyreese's problem was that there was never a place on the show for him. Daryl had taken his role. I think they only introduced Tyreese for comic fans and because of criticism for racism in the writing. The only time I felt like they found a niche for him was his relationship with Carol, which I wanted to see more of (I guess that too is Daryl's territory).

I think they probably kept the Terminus story short because of complaints over previous stories being too long. I think it was the right idea, as more of Gareth moralizing and talking about have started to grate. The problem is mostly what followed it up - too much nihilism, too much time on the hospital story, too much repetition of themes.

I don't really feel like Gabriel took up much airtime, but I'm in the minority there.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

Ah I see.

He still wears his wedding ring, and they seemed to show it prominently in that promo that shows them all running through the woods firing their guns in slow-mo.

• Love 2

Oh Ty. I`ll miss that big teddy bear. I`ll miss him a lot. 

I do wish we had seen more of Maggie's reaction to Beth's death. At least she still has Glen. Poor Sasha lost her boyfriend and her brother in a pretty short amount of time. 

What the hell was up with that radio? 

Between this and last nights Shameless, I was basically an emotional wreck all night. I need more happy shows in my life. 

Edited by tennisgurl

I watched this episode and cried myself to sleep. Unlike comic Tyreese, tv Tyreese wasn't made for the ZA world. God, his death was sad and Chad L. Coleman is such a fabulous actor. However, I couldn't help thinking that, were I in his place and had to listen to Beth sing again, I'd beat myself in the head using the hammer with my good arm. It was nice to see Mika, Lizzie and Bob again.

• Love 6

Pretty white girl.

I see and acknowledge the chemistry between AL and DG but, since we are talking about a show that actually operates on quotas and the world we live in is still the world we live in, I know that Eugene will discover the cure for zombieism before Rick and Michonne would knock boots. Trust me, no breath holding for me.

Also, please stop marginalizing and dismissing my opinion as a "shipper" who pulls nonsense out of thin air because I think one, count it ONE tv couple has chemistry. Men and women have been known to hookup in the past. Why am I stupid for thinking lightening might strike twice and it happen again?

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 8

I did not like this episode.  After a hiatus, I wanted some action and this just felt like it dragged.  It felt like half a show that was extended to fill the whole thing.  Some of the hallucinations were good, but it also felt a bit repetitive and too long.  Part of that may be because I couldn't stand Tyreese anymore, mainly because of how he was written. 

When they were going to take Noah home, I turned to my husband and said "There are too many black men on the show and in that car.  Either Noah or Tyreese is going to die.  I bet it is Tyreese."  This show is so predictable.  As for fixing up the compound and staying, I would be surprised if they wanted to stay after a death of a party member, especially so soon after Beth.  Even if he didn't do much beyond taking care of the baby.

• Love 2

He still wears his wedding ring, and they seemed to show it prominently in that promo that shows them all running through the woods firing their guns in slow-mo.

Since when has a wedding ring stopped any man at all from having sex with somebody. FWIW it didnt even stop Rick's wife.

"..... of the (not Walking) Dead Brothers Society"

Only three more to go.

• Love 2
Since when has a wedding ring stopped any man at all from having sex with somebody. FWIW it didnt even stop Rick's wife.

I hated Lori but not for sleeping with Shane.  She very reasonably thought Rick was dead.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 4

Pretty white girl.

I see and acknowledge the chemistry between AL and DG but, since we are talking about a show that actually operates on quotas and the world we live in is still the world we live in, I know that Eugene will discover the cure for zombieism before Rick and Michonne would knock boots. Trust me, no breath holding for me.

Also, please stop marginalizing and dismissing my opinion as a "shipper" who pulls nonsense out of thin air because I think one, count it ONE tv couple has chemistry. Men and women have been known to hookup in the past. Why am I stupid for thinking lightening might strike twice and it happen again?

Never said anything about considering you to be stupid.

I did say I didn't see it, but that shippers will; shippers are people who ship a particular couple, who want them to hook up. No part of that necessarily demands they are pulling nonsense out of thin air. Just that they want a certain couple to happen. Since I don't really ship people on this show, I'm not inclined to be seeing it like they do.

Men and women do hookup, but I knew the network didn't decide to keep them separate, but (and don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled

they have big plans for Michonne, following the graphic novel where she becomes the lover of a character who runs his own group. He's just not Rick.

• Useful 1

I hated Lori but not for sleeping with Shane.  She very reasonably thought Rick was dead.

Yeah, she thought Rick was dead but...if he had been dead it wouldn't have been for that long.

I wouldn't want to learn that my Mom or my friend or my sister was sleeping with another man just 2 months after the death of a husband.

I know it's the ZA, but I had an issue with Lori when she told Dale that she just needed to feel something and she was overwhelmed by it...because doing it doggy style in broad daylight in a campground of 30 people including your elementary school age son and 3 other children didn't serve the "bereft widow" alibi.

I guess we all grieve differently. :-)

• Love 6

His big speech about his Karen dreams and picturing her in cities they'd never visited was embarrassing--Carol's daughter had died, FFS.  How hard for her to execute another little girl she loved, but Tyreese could only watch out the window.

Tyreese wasn't part of the group until long after Sophia's death, so I'm not sure he'd necessarily know about that.

The only time I got a vibe for a (future) PLI was the scene between Rick & Andrea when they were at the desk in that building and she was 'stealing' the dolphin jewelry for Amy.

It was a mermaid necklace!

• Love 1

I'm still a bit confused. Were the scenes at the start of the episode (Maggie crying, the men running towards the car, Noah crying, etc.) before or after Tyreese's death? The first time I watched the episode, I thought it was after, but having watched it again, I'm not so sure since there is a scene that supposedly occurs right after Beth has died.

On rewatch, I also caught Tyreese saying "turn it off" re: the radio in the car. Nice way to indicate that he was tired of looking at the evils of the world.

Edited by Hava
  • Love 1

That was in response to someone talking about Rick being "ready for dating" such as it is in the ZA, meaning a relationship of some type.  I never said he'd never have sex with anyone.  If this show is prominently showing his wedding ring, they are making a statement with it, which I interpret as Rick still being emotionally "stuck" in place as Lori's husband, holding his little family together.  It's still part of his identity, for now. 

• Love 5

...because doing it doggy style in broad daylight in a campground of 30 people including your elementary school age son and 3 other children didn't serve the "bereft widow" alibi.

I guess we all grieve differently. :-)

Gee, it sounds bad when you put it that way!:p

You know what a mermaid is the result of?

You're not going to bring up dolphins, are you?

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

That was in response to someone talking about Rick being "ready for dating" such as it is in the ZA, meaning a relationship of some type.  I never said he'd never have sex with anyone.  If this show is prominently showing his wedding ring, they are making a statement with it, which I interpret as Rick still being emotionally "stuck" in place as Lori's husband, holding his little family together.  It's still part of his identity, for now. 

I thought the same thing, when I watched "A"again on Sunday, and noticed that he was still wearing his ring, as he buried the bag of weapons. 

I do like the idea of Rick and Michonne, though - I see the chemistry that others do. 

It is until a more appropriate female is added to the cast. THEN it will be time to move on and heal and let love in and blah blah blah. I'm sure the "precious" will fly off his finger of its own accord so that Rick can do the nasty guilt free. A woman like Michonne can only be a friend.

• Love 3