Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What Happened, And What's Going On

halgia
  • Start Topic

Not sure why they didn't show Tyreese getting a preemptive, just-in-case head shot? That ruined the ending, I spent more time wondering why they were burying him without the head shot than I did paying attention to what was happening. They used to play up that moment to great effect - the horror of having to head shot a friend you were just chumming around with not ten minutes ago.

• Love 3

I'm glad he's gone.  I just watched the whole damn marathon and the Tyreese character was annoying more than anything.  What, did he have one semi-date with Karen?  And then her death destroyed him. 

On the run to the vet college, he zoned out in the car while everyone else fought off walkers and Bob screamed "Tyreese!!" over and over.  He ignored everyone's advice to slow down hacking at the kudzu, followed by the weirdness where he latched onto a walker and wouldn't let go.

Lizzie and Mika saved him when the prison was going up in flames, and it was Lizzie and Mika who ran back to save Judith.  Tyreese was trying to get them to leave with him in the other direction and never gave Judith a passing thought.

He supervised the girls by himself for one day, during which Lizzie mutilated a bunch of rabbits and would have suffocated Judith if Carol hadn't followed and caught up with them while Tyreese was off somewhere.

His big speech about his Karen dreams and picturing her in cities they'd never visited was embarrassing--Carol's daughter had died, FFS.  How hard for her to execute another little girl she loved, but Tyreese could only watch out the window.

He was looking out another window while the guy who promised to kill him and the baby shinnied across the room and got his hands around the baby's neck.  Then the whole epic lie about killing that same guy.  He even prevented Carol from going back inside.  And yes, his information share and his lie were largely responsible for Bob getting killed and ditto if they had all been killed at the church by the Termites.

How much leeway is being "too goodhearted for post-ZA world" supposed to get you?  Too many of his friends died or came close to dying because of Tyreese.  But, Karen.

Either write the character better or write him off.

• Love 15

Aw, poor Tyreese.  Walker killing skills were mediocre at best but he was the best babysitter ever.  No one could change a diaper like Tyreese.  What a sad sendoff.

I watched The Grove earlier today so when Mika and Lizzie reappeared I got extra teary-eyed.

Instead of Beth I would rather have seen Karen be one of his spirit guides.

I had to laugh at Emily's whiny attempts at singing, I don't think it was an accident the editing monkeys had Judith's crying superimposed over her warbling.

Dismembered bodies - something really hinky happened at Shirewilt, some living humans did some real damage.  I got a giggle at the graffiti on the wall:  "WOLVES NO FAIR."  As if humans and walkers weren't enough, lupine predators had to add insult to injury.

I laughed when they showed Judith crying with the music, too. I expected to see more about it here, because of all of the complaints about her singing.

Poor Tyreese - I liked him a lot. I watched this at 1am, and saw his name trending on twitter, but was still surprised that they killed someone off so soon. And poor Sasha. 

Edited by Anela

Not sure why they didn't show Tyreese getting a preemptive, just-in-case head shot? That ruined the ending, I spent more time wondering why they were burying him without the head shot than I did paying attention to what was happening. They used to play up that moment to great effect - the horror of having to head shot a friend you were just chumming around with not ten minutes ago.

Michonne stabbed him in the head. 

I think at this point it's something they're just used to doing.

• Love 2

I was not a fan of this episode. I liked Tyrese in the beginning, but became increasingly frustrated with him. So while his death was sad, I didn't need to spend an hour on his character. Sorry.

I was hoping this episode would deal with the fallout from Beth's death, and would also have the crew moving forward. 

• Love 2

I wasn't all that impressed with this episode. I was never a big fan of Tyreese, so him dying doesn't bother me. As for all the dead people coming back to talk to him, they already did that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the episode was called...Conversations With Dead People) & I enjoyed that a lot more than this chaotic bouncing around. I also was hoping to NEVER see the Governor again, so having him back & talking, even for a little, gets on my very last nerve. All those body parts & foreheads with carvings on them make me think we're in for another crazy person & I just can't deal with another one.

• Love 4

Not sure if someone said this above, but I'm assuming the torsos came from the town not realizing a head-shot would take them down.  The next best thing to a head shot is making them immobile, which requires taking off all the limbs.  So maybe utilitarian and not some sicko.

Tyreese must not have watched any cop shows.  You always clear the house and secure entry-points before relaxing.  Come on dude.

• Love 4

Until Banshee is in season 5 and their third showrunner, I'm not sure how they'll do.

The main problem for me in the deaths of Beth and Tyreese is they died as symbols of hope and so forth, rather than as characters. And that does, as you mentioned, limit the impact I feel when they died. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

Not sure if someone said this above, but I'm assuming the torsos came from the town not realizing a head-shot would take them down.  The next best thing to a head shot is making them immobile, which requires taking off all the limbs.  So maybe utilitarian and not some sicko.

The heads had "W" carved in them; I don't think that's part of some town accounting system.  Someone wanted to scare people.

• Love 2

I was not a fan of this episode. I liked Tyrese in the beginning, but became increasingly frustrated with him. So while his death was sad, I didn't need to spend an hour on his character. Sorry.

I was hoping this episode would deal with the fallout from Beth's death, and would also have the crew moving forward.

Oh Beth is old news. I didn't like the character or actress, but she deserved a send off. Then again, Herschel didn't get one, and it gave us a whole hour, give or take irritating shills for "Better call Saul". The payoff was an excruciating episode of "Don't tell the gang five miles behind the Babysitter's Dead". I drifted off to Youtube to watch Jessco White talking about getting a double super buzz sniffing aero plane glue from a samrich bag.

The heads had "W" carved in them; I don't think that's part of some town accounting system. Someone wanted to scare people.

Those damn wolves again. They don't play fair

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 3

What's craziest to me is that the group made it 500 miles in 17 days when it seemed like they couldn't make it 25 in 2.5 years.  It was especially surprising with Ty driving; it was making me batty when he was telling the story of how his dad made him listen to the news stories while making near constant eye contact with Noah.  I was practically shouting "WATCH THE DAMN ROAD!  WALKERS ARE EVERYWHERE!" 

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 15

So now Rick is the last person in the group (maybe on the planet) with actual blood relatives.  That was my first thought when Tyreese died.

I'm sorry he died but he often annoyed me.  First all the Karen, Karen, Karen business when we never saw any deep and abiding love between them.  Then his reluctance to participate in any violent acts against their enemies, which is a great trait in the real world but not the ZA. Why was he chosen to go on the trip anyway?  Wouldn't it have made more sense for Daryl or Abraham to go?  Someone who was not morally conflicted?  Kudos to Chad Coleman for a very fine performance though.

Yay that they finally got out of Atlanta!

(Laughing about the unfairness of wolves.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
I don't get this "Tyreese is too good, too soft for this world" thinking. Why? Because he didn't want to kill one guy? By this thiking, there is not hope for the future, because all kids are too good for this world and, hey, what is their chance? Really, no. Tyreese didn't need to go and he did have a place in the group. It is infuriating that he died while Gabriel, who is trully useless, is still around,

It wasn't just the one guy. It wasn't just humans. Tyrese constantly struggled with the things you have to do to in order to make it in this world. At the beginning of season three we saw him telling Karen that he hated killing walkers at the fence. But then he went out on a run and came back saying he hated that too. He just had a very gentle spirit that had a super hard time adapting to the new way of life. All of the "ghosts" speaking to him showed that inner conflict that he had been dealing with this whole time. I don't think Tyrese WANTED to live like this anymore. I think he wanted to go where it was "better". 

As for Father Pee Pants, I wholly agree. I never thought Ty was utterly useless. I just felt his reservations about things could prove to be very dangerous. 

• Love 4

I figured they probably did a more subtle brain stab, so as not to leave poor Tyrese a gruesome mess. 

• Love 2

Regarding Tyreese and his morality making key mistakes I think most of them have made key mistakes but I don't think I've seen other critized to the same level Tyreese has been. When we look at what happen and not the what ifs, Tyreese's key mistake in not killing Martin didn't cost anyone their life but the Termites.

• Love 7

The harsh life in the ZA, would take an emotional toll on the most bad ass person.

From my POV, Michonne wasn't being whiny.

She was, being human.

Word. People forget that Michonne was mentally shut down when she met Andrea. She had lost her child and safe place. She could barely say two words when she met Rick and the group. She has bonded with the group, but they keep encountering these dangerous groups and losing their own people. I don't blame her for wanting them to find somewhere safe.

Considering the constant death and relentless danger that the group endures in the Zombie Apocalypse, it is amazing that we have not had more nervous breakdowns, depressions, and suicide. No one is that mentally tough, period. Rick has been the only one to have a nervous breakdown and recover. Morgan also, if he has indeed recovered.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

On Talking Dead, they mentioned that the show built a soundstage to film the Tyreese scenes in and that way the returning actors wouldn't be seen.

I wasn't 100% thrilled with some of the returns, but still, this show is so closely spied on, and so many are so heavily spoiled, I have to give them credit for pulling this off, especially since the surprise is what made it work. I was floored when I saw Mika and Lizzie again. 

The other thing, which is odd to type out, was how much I liked the title. It was perfect for many reasons (it's trippy and dazed and confused, it is a reminder that this episode was supposed to be catching us up on the midseason finale). I'm a sucker for good titles and this show often delivers (my all time favorite, for whatever reason, is "30 Days Without An Accident")

• Love 4

Word. People forget that Michonne was mentally shut down when she met Andrea. She had lost her child and safe place. She could barely say two words when she met Rick and the group. She has bonded with the group, but they keep encountering these dangerous groups and losing their own people. I don't blame her for wanting them to find somewhere safe.

Considering the constant death and relentless danger that the group endures in the Zombie Apocalypse, it is amazing that we have not had more nervous breakdowns, depressions, and suicide. No one is that mentally tough, period. Rick has been the only one to have a nervous breakdown and recover. Morgan also, if he has indeed recovered.

We also saw Michonne near despair after the final prison attack. She's such an internalizer most of the time. I expect an upcoming episode about a mission to find her some ulcer meds.

• Love 4
Regarding Tyreese and his morality making key mistakes I think most of them have made key mistakes but I don't think I've seen other critized to the same level Tyreese has been. When we look at what happen and not the what ifs, Tyreese's key mistake in not killing Martin didn't cost anyone their life but the Termites.

For me it wasn't so much the mistakes - yes, they've all made them. But his general attitude, being WHY he made the mistakes. Others have fucked up, and adapted and changed. Carol became a lot harder, tougher, more resourceful and helpful after losing her daughter. Tyrese just couldn't ever fully come to grips with what he had to do. His inability to stay on guard lost him his own life. 

• Love 1
The other thing, which is odd to type out, was how much I liked the title. It was perfect for many reasons...

I agree! I actually thought the title sounded so ridiculous when hearing it prior to seeing the show. I was all, "Oh come on now, they're not even trying anymore". But when I realized where it came from, I instantly loved it. 

• Love 3

I realize that the cast could have benefited from some thinning - they still have 13, I think, in CampDinnnerlessBell - but even with his flaws, I would have kept Tyrese and would have opted for Abraham falling into a sinkhole or Eugene being eaten by unfair wolves.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 11

I know it was supposed to be scary and all, but I couldn't help but hear the voice of Ned Flanders in my head: "And right here's where they found the torso heap!" 

Maybe it's gallows humor, but I laughed a little at that and at Tyreese's foot caught in the barbed wire. I don't know. Overall I do think it was an effective, powerful sequence...just a little too heavily piled on.

For me it wasn't so much the mistakes - yes, they've all made them. But his general attitude, being WHY he made the mistakes. Others have fucked up, and adapted and changed. Carol became a lot harder, tougher, more resourceful and helpful after losing her daughter. Tyrese just couldn't ever fully come to grips with what he had to do. His inability to stay on guard lost him his own life.

Agreed but and you knew there was a but right :) Tyreese isn't the first to let his guard down. He just wasn't lucky enough to come out of it alive like some of the others have.

We also saw Michonne near despair after the final prison attack. She's such an internalizer most of the time. I expect an upcoming episode about a mission to find her some ulcer meds.

So true. Rick's group should be suffering from ulcers, hypertension, hair falling out, all sorts of physical pain, and overall poor health given the physical and emotional trauma they have endured, combined with their poor diet, it is amazing that no one has simply collapsed from a heart attack.

• Love 3

Glad to see them continuing the urban legend "one brother enters, one brother leaves" Although low budget Yukon Cornelius was not my favorite, I was saddened and shocked. Tyrese had a good heart and a conscious something that will now be lacking with this group. 

If nothing else this episode stood to remind me just how annoying Beth was - dead or alive

• Love 5

I liked parts of it.  I liked the somewhat weird camera work, and the bizarro music, and the return of the dead (get it?).  I didn't like the Guv, but he worked here.  I also liked that we saw some of characters -- Michonne - having doubts, and wanting to settle down.  I think that got across how tired and beat they all must be. 

And seeing Glenn -- well, I'd almost forgotten who he was.  I was wondering if someone needed to introduce him to Rick.  And, really, what dead animal is on Rick's face?

But I think it maybe should have been the second episode of the season rather than the first.  It was, in some ways, too insular and too dark (which, for this show, is highly subjective).

Also, what's up with Noah?  I mean, how useless can someone be???  He got trapped on a porch under a swing by one walker???!???

• Love 3

Our gang can't seem to see the walkers for the woods.  How about getting out of the forest and traveling to one of the many areas in America where you can see for miles and miles..... and miles.
Have they ever thought of checking out other prisons, hospitals, schools, etc.  Morgan managed a set up all by himself that kept him safe for a couple of years.

The writers make the whole group of them look stupid with being endlessly "on the run" .  They have no problem finding vehicles, enough gas to travel 500 miles, and an endless supply of baby food, but can't find any place to settle for a while?  I'd like them to stay in place long enough to have some good character interactions and development.

• Love 7

Well at least I will never have to hear a conversation like "Oh, your whole family died?  Well I know exactly what you are going through because I lost this girl I was dating for like a week before I could even have sex with her!"  God he was ignorant.

Count me in the heart of stone category because he needed to die long ago.  He put the group in danger with his lies.  He didn't want to kill Martin, fine, but why stop Carol?  Especially when the dude tried to kill a baby?  Yeah, Tyrese could not die fast enough for me, and his idiotic ways got Beth killed too. 

I like artsy, don't get me wrong, but this epi seemed like it was just TRYING to be artsy which is really annoying.

I'll give them one more episode before they go into the "When I get around to it DVR list".

Was it just me or was the twin that took out Tyrese like Super Fresh?  Like a newly created Walker?

• Love 6

Our gang can't seem to see the walkers for the woods.  How about getting out of the forest and traveling to one of the many areas in America where you can see for miles and miles..... and miles.

Have they ever thought of checking out other prisons, hospitals, schools, etc.  Morgan managed a set up all by himself that kept him safe for a couple of years.

The writers make the whole group of them look stupid with being endlessly "on the run" .  They have no problem finding vehicles, enough gas to travel 500 miles, and an endless supply of baby food, but can't find any place to settle for a while?  I'd like them to stay in place long enough to have some good character interactions and development.

They have passed so many seemingly well-defensible buildings.  They've even been in some.  I always thought that the best thing to have done was to hunker down somewhere in Atlanta (like the hospital cops did).  You have all the cars and gas and supplies handy.  Sure you need to make runs, but they have enough people now where it would be possible. But you could rest (while keeping one eye open).

Instead, they make these . . . journeys.  They traveled how many miles because Noah's family lived in a gated community??????????????  I'm sorry.  That's stupid.

And heading north?  Where the weather's even more brutal?  That makes sense, why?

But if they hunkered down then we wouldn't have the same show.  So, I guess it's whatever the writers want, even if it makes our people look like idiots.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 1

I realize that the cast could have benefited from some thinning - they still have 13, I think, in CampDinnnerlessBell - but even with his flaws, I would have kept Tyrese and would have opted for Abraham falling into a sinkhole or Eugene being eaten by unfair wolves.

Or even better:  Abraham gets eaten by wolves, who realize it's unfair to leave Eugene the toddler man alone in the world, and then proceed to raise him.   So now, we can call him Loup  Garou, which is way cooler than Eugene. 

• Love 7

If they hunkered down people would probably call it boring and wonder why nothing happens (as they did at the farm and the prison).

Exactly. I loved all the drama and character development that happened on the farm and at the prison, yet so many people bitched on and on about them settling down.  

I do think that they have encountered problems settling down in one place. The farm was over run by a herd of walkers and Governor went after them in the prison. Rick's group is constantly under seige from walkers and other predatory humans as well as disease. I think somewhere like Alaska would be best, but where would they find a constant food source? Where really is the safest place to live? 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

I'm now reading that it said "WOLVES NOT FAR" which makes more sense but "wolves no fair" is funnier.

Well then, that makes sense.  The heads/torsos that avalanched into their Suburban when they were trying to take off had a "W" carved in the foreheads.  Looks like the "Wolves" were not animals but another group of people.  Though we may never find out.

• Love 1

The last thing they showed during the scene on the road was Michonne pulling out her katana while the others walked away.  So I'm assuming she respectfully stabbed him in the side of the head.  That's why his face was unmarred during the funeral scene.

Good episode.  I was captivated.

I wasn't sure. I saw them pull Tyreese's body from the car to the road (and thought they aren't going to leave him there, are they??), but didn't see any action or motion that seemed like a headshot. Then when they were burying him, they showed his forehead all clean and undamaged. I mean, I hope they would have done a head shot, it just wasn't obvious.

I think Washington is just a way of saying they're tired and can't take anymore. Michonne just wants to go somewhere, anyway. They've been wandering for however long since the prison fell, no particular place to go. Sanctuary was a trap. The church was a holding spot. The cure was a lie. I don't think mentally she is in a place of processing the larger concept of whether it's safe or not, because nowhere is safe. She just wants a place to go. When they get there, they get there.

Washington isn't necessarily a good idea, simple due to population density. Granted, most people are dead, zombies rotting more now and kiled off, but still. Too many people = danger. We saw that with Atlanta. Let's see if they get there. But if you are only 100 miles from Washington, I guess they should try. I mean, it's like 500 miles from Altanta to Richmond (not sure where they started from), so that extra 100 is nothing at this point.

I did laugh when they were driving to Richmond, because the only road sign passed was for South Carolina.

It was weird seeing the normally badass Michonne lose it a little. She's nearing the end of her emotional rope.

And for the love of General Motors, GET A VEHICLE WITH FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE! Surely they must have them in Georgia, a state with a lot of muddy back roads and whatnot.

I always think of that scene in Zombieland with Tallahasee finding a big Ford 350 (i think it was), loaded with guns/gun rack, and he's like "Thank god for rednecks!" There's got to be some four wheel heavy duty trucks out there that are from the year 2010 on.

I don't think Michonne lost it. I think its more she's tired of roaming and wants a purpose, just like Abraham. Without Washington, they are aimless. Washington gives them a purpose, though like I said, population density means it may not be a good idea.

I think somewhere like Alaska would be best, but where would they find a constant food source.

California would be the best. Long growing seasons, water, mild weather, no snow. East coast is okay, but as we know from this year, too much snow. Middle of US is desert, hot, dry climate. Up North, short growing seasons, snow, cold. West coast would be the best, IMO.

• Love 3

There were many part of this episode I really liked and a couple things that just bugged. Well really just one major thing that bugged, why did it take so long for everyone to get back to Ty? I mean I know, somehow Noah managed to get himself trapped behind a wicker basket but still, he could have shouted more and Rick, Glenn, Michonne, they had to have been close enough to hear but somehow it took all damn day for them to get back to Tyreese (second bug was why the fuck didn't Ty at least attempt to tye his arm off?)

That said, the parts I liked, I REALLY liked. I'm a big fan of trippy visuals, of artistic attempts to portray intense states of mind and I thought it really worked extremely well with Tyreese. It was so damn sad, the angels and the devils all around him at the end, both camps pushing pushing pushing him to accept death, the choice seeming only being between going out after accepting yourself wholly or going out feeling ashamed of yourself. I really did not like Ty after he "lied like a bitch" (thanks Martin you shit) but I really liked seeing the inner turmoil of Tyreese, liked seeing at the end he too was consumed with doubts about that in particular. I'm glad he settled down and accepted his emotional core as being ultimately pacifist and right now that world is not one for being pacifist.

I LOVED how all those scenes were filmed, the lighting that was just not quite right, the odd angles, the trippy blending of hallucination and terrible reality. I SERIOUSLY loved the writing of the entire episode but ESPECIALLY Ty's final monologue! Man it was so perfect, he was saying shit that was slight re-phrasing other characters had said to him about him (he was quoting Martin a couple times), he was expressing his true understanding of himself as a man, he was mixing in weird shit we the audience never even heard before (had to have been some childhood stuff I guess). Even that final scene was shot with him shouting at the Gov while partially obscuring his face with his bloody arm and hand really hightened the experience.

I've watched the episode twice now and I think this one i going to end up one of my all time favorites.

• Love 5

On rewatch, I didn't not like it but at times it felt like it was really trying too hard, like we were watching Nicotero's student art film.  And sorry, Gail Hurd, I guess I am made of stone because while it was sad in the general way that all deaths are sad with lost opportunity and regret and all that, I still came away feeling like Tyreese's death was a tired sort of inevitability.  Tyreese couldn't really adapt to what their world is now and ultimately wanted to go.  So he got what he wanted in the end.

I guess they couldn't bring back the actress who played Karen because she's on another show.  That's fine, but it makes me think they should have rethought how to handle all the dead people waiting for him because it made her absence all the more glaring.  Considering that we had to hear about her ad nauseam nearly every time he was onscreen for a season and a half, it makes the character look delusional all along, like he built an entire grand romance in his head that just really wasn't there.

All the crazy carved up bodies tell me another crazy as hell big bad is coming, and that just makes me tired.  Paired in the same episode with a previous big bad Gov. being just as much of an unhinged asshole dead as he was in life makes me even more tired.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 6