Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

A note to Tanya Tucker's makeup team; if you lose her blush - don't substitute bronzer.

I saw her face when she walked the red carpet and did a double take.  Her makeup made me think of that scene in Drop Dead Gorgeous when Amber is doing the makeup of the dead woman and her boss tells her that she needs to glob on the makeup because her family was upset because she didn’t wear subtle makeup at all.  There are ways to make bronzer work but whoever did Tanya Tucker’s makeup didn’t know how to do that.  Also Shania Twain’s face has settled her fillers or whatever she has done looks much better than the last time I saw her at an awards show.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Smokey Robinson’s face continues to scare me. At least his voice is still on point. 

Finally, we are entering the big 4 but with all the filler they have, they could end this at 11.

I believe it is scheduled to end at 11:30. 

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I appreciate Ozzy keepin’ on keepin’ on, but it was cruel to keep him out there for two segments.  And did Sharon mess up the artists names on purpose?

Yeah I got the impression he didn't know what was going on. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

For anyone shaking their head over Bille Eilish, go to You Tube and check out her, Finneas and just a guitar singing “ I love you’ (the SNL performance) .  It’s pretty amazing.

I highly recommend her Carpool Karaoke with James Cordon for people wanting to hear more of her. Her voice is stunningly beautiful in it. Make sure to listen to the ukulele part if nothing else. 

• Love 6

Well, I may have been sleeping all year because I hadn’t been that aware of Billie Eilish but she and her brother seem quite humble ( and almost embarrassed) to be winning so much. I guess I’ll have to look up her story & listen to more of her music. Only 10 minutes over. Thought it was a good show in spite of the sad events of the day.

• Love 2

I heard Billie and her brother interviewed on NPR sometime last year.  Imagine my surprise when it turned out she was actually selling records, since folks on NPR usually... aren't... 🙂 

I thought the In Memoriam segment was very nice.  And I loved that it ended with Trombone Shorty.  I love Trombone Shorty!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Saaaailing...

Sorry, I just got lost between the moon and New York City for a second there...

You might have to ride like the wind (to be free again) before you get to NYC.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:
1 hour ago, argrow said:

I guess Billie is the new Christopher Cross (remember him?)

Saaaailing...

Sorry, I just got lost between the moon and New York City for a second there...

I went through my old vinyl collection this weekend and found my Christopher Cross album. (It was next to a carrying case containing my old 45s with the yellow disks in the middle.) I played that album constantly for a few months.  I had forgotten I had that album. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I will have the unpopular opinion that I do not get the appeal of BTS.

Todd in the Shadows had a screen of a  tweet in one of his videos "I fear nothing except BTS stans." I like BTS and I'm even afraid of the BTS army!

Lil Nas X is a treasure. I'm afraid Old Town Road is going to be the last of him. Please noooooooo! That kid has spunk and I loved all the other artists coming on to support him. That performance and Lizzo were my two favorites of the night. 

Steven Tyler needs to pack it in. That was awful. The Prince tribute felt off too. I'm an Usher fan but I felt like it fell flat from the start.

thank u, next was one of the albums I had on repeat over the past year. 7 Rings has been a very polarizing song, either you love it or hate it. I get why she performed it since it was the song that got the nominations but still.

2019 was actually a great year for music. Alicia was a terrible choice for a host though. And the day I never have to see Mrs. O on my TV screen again will be a happy one.

Billie seems like a very kind girl.  I recently saw an interview of her and her brother inside her small modest home.  And, I mean modest. At the time of the interview she was still living there with her family. (May still be. I don't know.)  I just don't care for her music that much.  Probably a generational thing.  I'm a huge Lizzo fan.  lol  I've loved everything I've heard her do and wish her all the best.  I know nothing about her personally and that's okay.  Her music is catchy and makes me smile. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Billie seems like a very kind girl.  I recently saw an interview of her and her brother inside her small modest home.  And, I mean modest. At the time of the interview she was still living there with her family. (May still be. I don't know.)  I just don't care for her music that much.  Probably a generational thing.  I'm a huge Lizzo fan.  lol  I've loved everything I've heard her do and wish her all the best.  I know nothing about her personally and that's okay.  Her music is catchy and makes me smile. 

True, she seems like a pretty grounded person.  Like you, I'm not a fan of the songs I've heard from her.  I mean, Bad Guy has a nice propulsive beat and I could see myself dancing to it, but the vocals are droning and unpleasant to my ear.  Still, she seems really appreciative of her good fortune.  I just would've given Song of the Year to Bring My Flowers Now, Lover or Truth Hurts over Bad Guy.

I wasn't sure I would like Lizzo's music, but what I've heard is really fun and catchy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

True, she seems like a pretty grounded person.  Like you, I'm not a fan of the songs I've heard from her.  I mean, Bad Guy has a nice propulsive beat and I could see myself dancing to it, but the vocals are droning and unpleasant to my ear.  Still, she seems really appreciative of her good fortune.  I just would've given Song of the Year to Bring My Flowers Now, Lover or Truth Hurts over Bad Guy.

I wasn't sure I would like Lizzo's music, but what I've heard is really fun and catchy.

My favorite Lizzo song is Water Me.  (Popular commercial song.)  I also like Good As Hell.  Check out the videos on You Tube. I've posted a couple of them on My Music forum here on the What Are You Listening To thread.  Both videos are awesome.  I like those songs better than Truth Hurts.

I  saw Lizzo's face when Steven Tyler was singing on stage!  Cracked me up.  I'm reminded that many of these young artist are not that familiar with older artists. She was really shocked! lol  OH, Billie recently caught some flack because in a recent interview she admitted that she didn't know who Van Halen is!  lol  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/billie-eilish-van-halen-920487/

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have nothing against Billie Eilish. Seems like a sweet girl and her stuff is okay. I don't think it's as amazing as it's hyped up to be and she's like a lesser talented Lorde for me but still, good for her, whatever. 

That said, watching her sweep the Grammys like she did left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth and I couldn't help thinking that here's this girl who pops on the scene, critics go crazy for her and so come Grammy time, she wins damn near everything. 

And then you have someone like Kendrick Lamar who is all but deified by music critics across the board, the man has a damn Pulitzer Prize for freak's sake and has yet to win AOTY. Despite multiple times his album being almost universally considered the best album of the year. And not only never winning AOTY, he's never won any of the major categories - ROTY, SOTY, etc. 

Normally, I'm not that person. I'm able to separate different years of awards shows and look at them as singular. So one could make the argument that Billie lucked out in a not as competitive year. But I disagree because I think Lana Del Ray's album was better than hers. But yeah, seeing the alert that she swept, like I said, created this irritable feeling in me that I couldn't shake. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I don't get all the fuss about Gary Clark, Jr. and I don't think he's that great of a blues musician.   

If race still matters in 30 years imagine Nas and Jay Z on the oldies tour and most rap stars had been white for 10 years when a new attractive brother emerges. Change hip hop to the blues and Nas for Buddy Guy and that is why Gary Clark Jr gets the highest profile blues guest gigs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I thought the In Memoriam segment was very nice.  And I loved that it ended with Trombone Shorty performing.  I love Trombone Shorty!

Okay, I didn't stay awake for the end of the show last night so I was just reading here to see how it went...and you gave me a HEART ATTACK!  I fixed your sentence for you, to clearly illustrate that the In Memoriam segment didn't end with Trombone Shorty, it ended with a Trombone Shorty performance.  

When Shorty dies, I'm out, too.  😎

23 minutes ago, AnnMarie17 said:

Okay, I didn't stay awake for the end of the show last night so I was just reading here to see how it went...and you gave me a HEART ATTACK!  I fixed your sentence for you, to clearly illustrate that the In Memoriam segment didn't end with Trombone Shorty, it ended with a Trombone Shorty performance.  

When Shorty dies, I'm out, too.  😎

I'm so sorry...  You're totally correct.  Even though English is allegedly my first (and only) language, I find that I often barely speak it - and certainly don't write it with any competence 😄 

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Did they give Taylor’s performance spot to Alicia? 

Seems I missed this while I was driving home  Alicia singing with Brittany Howard!  I love Brittany, but I kinda miss her hard rock days.  I'm not sure I'm totally with her with her new sounds.  It's also too bad she sorta disappeared halfway through that number.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I have nothing against Billie Eilish. Seems like a sweet girl and her stuff is okay. I don't think it's as amazing as it's hyped up to be and she's like a lesser talented Lorde for me but still, good for her, whatever. 

That said, watching her sweep the Grammys like she did left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth and I couldn't help thinking that here's this girl who pops on the scene, critics go crazy for her and so come Grammy time, she wins damn near everything. 

And then you have someone like Kendrick Lamar who is all but deified by music critics across the board, the man has a damn Pulitzer Prize for freak's sake and has yet to win AOTY. Despite multiple times his album being almost universally considered the best album of the year. And not only never winning AOTY, he's never won any of the major categories - ROTY, SOTY, etc. 

Normally, I'm not that person. I'm able to separate different years of awards shows and look at them as singular. So one could make the argument that Billie lucked out in a not as competitive year. But I disagree because I think Lana Del Ray's album was better than hers. But yeah, seeing the alert that she swept, like I said, created this irritable feeling in me that I couldn't shake. 

Young, white girl privilege.

Or luck? 

Or true talent?

Hmm, I wonder. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm an OK Boomer, haven't watched the Grammys in almost 10 years because most of the music ain't shit, IMO.

Now get off my lawn!

LOL.  I’m a Boomer too.  I watch to learn about the current music!  😁.  And maybe catch a few oldies that I know.  And the clothes.  😬😬

Edited by Thumper

I am so angry watching these white washed Grammies. I saw Lizzo live in Boston, amazing. It is HER YEAR. Get the heck out of town with this whispy voiced teen taking the majority of awards.

I was disappointed Brittany Howard was relegated to just play guitar for Alicia. Her new album Jaime is beautiful, I also saw her live this year, and its  shame she didn't get to perform on her own merit.  That said, Alicia did a great job hosting. She set a lovely relaxed tone, if at times a bit indulgent and slow....

Diddy is right. The Grammies have 365 days to get this right. Otherwise the "esteemed" grammy awards will just be "the white people awards." I also thought Tyler the creator was correct in stating getting a rap or urban award is like say the N word. I am so sick of the amazing artists of color getting the damn shaft.

On a funny note, my husband walked in the room and said "why does Alicia Keys always look like she has the damn flu?" I said "well she is boycotting makeup." He said "well she looks sick and needs it. The hell?" 

Edited by Crazydoxielady
34 minutes ago, Crazydoxielady said:

I also thought Tyler the creator was correct in stating getting a rap or urban award is like say the N word.

Until last year's ceremony, where Childish Gambino won for This is America, a Rap/Hip Hop song had never won ROTY or SOTY - ever. And of course the last Rap/Hip Hop album to win AOTY was Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, in 2004.

Kanye West had a 96 metacritic score for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and wasn't even nominated for AOTY. Kendrick had a 95 for DAMN  and lost to Bruno Mars whose album got good to okay reviews. And you couldn't even use the commercial argument for that one because DAMN actually outsold 24K Magic. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
On 1/27/2020 at 9:37 PM, ebk57 said:

Seems I missed this while I was driving home  Alicia singing with Brittany Howard!  I love Brittany, but I kinda miss her hard rock days.  I'm not sure I'm totally with her with her new sounds.  It's also too bad she sorta disappeared halfway through that number.

I was recently looking for Alabama Shakes tour schedule to find it was only Brittany who was touring.  Not sure about this......IDK.  

• Love 1