Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, vb68 said:

I had a feeling Chris Stapleton would win.

From my limited view of things, he seems like he transcends the country genre.

Yeah, from what little I've heard from him, I think he might fit more kind of in the Allman Brothers' mold, maybe? Kind of that country-rock thing that was big among some artists in the '70s. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

from what little I've heard from him, I think he might fit more kind of in the Allman Brothers' mold, maybe?

Yeah, I think you nailed it.

I love Billie Eilish. She seems like she has an old soul for someone so young.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I think you nailed it.

I love Billie Eilish. She seems like she has an old soul for someone so young.

I like the handful of songs I've heard from her, too. She reminds me a bit of somebody sometimes, but I can't quite think of who. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

That production manager was so nervous her microphone was shaking.

I don't care much one way or the other about Billie Eilish but I for sure love that shirt she's wearing. 

As someone who is married to a stagehand (and I've worked backstage in theatre), I love that backstage folks are getting out there tonight! 

• Love 11
(edited)
17 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I had a feeling Chris Stapleton would win.

From my limited view of things, he seems like he transcends the country genre.

I’m not in any way a country fan but was badgered into going to two concerts of his and I didn’t … hate them?  I didn’t know any of his songs but I wasn’t clockwatching either.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Snerk.  I know the names of most of the nominees and performers and presenters, but couldn’t sing a note of 99% of any of the songs mentioned tonight.

I laughed at Trevor Noah’s joke about what Finneas’s last name is, because The Grammys stepped all over the punchline by giving his full name in the next category.

What is his full name?  Is his name really Finneas?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m not in any way a country fan but was badgered into going to two concerts of his and I didn’t … hate them?

Thanks! Good to know as I'm not a country fan either other than having an irrational love for Dolly.

It's so great to see Joni Mitchell out and about.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
(edited)

Trevor Noah is really doing a good job considering he can’t say anything bad about anyone. 
oops I thought they said Belinda Carlisle instead of Brandi Carlile. Sorry guys! I need a glass of wine.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

What is his full name?  Is his name really Finneas?

O'Connell.  And yes, his first name seems to actually be Finneas. 

• Useful 1

OMG please tell me they are not going to play that repetitive annoying AF goldfish jingle every commercial break.

2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

O'Connell.  And yes, his first name seems to actually be Finneas. 

Thank you!  I had already forgotten it by the time the question was asked.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Readalot said:

I just started watching. Did they do any of the tributes yet? 

No, but they did just announce that John Legend will be leading a "musical moment" for Ukraine which sounds incredibly frightening. 

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

This song is a total earworm.  It actually made me look forward to those Samsung phone commercials.

And I'm definitely not in their demographic.  (In other words, I'm old).

Ha, me too, but I love them!

• Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, twoods said:

Belinda Carlisle. Sigh. Still has an amazing voice. 

Belinda Carlisle does have an amazing voice, but she didn't perform at the Grammys tonight. I think you meant Brandi Carlile. 😂

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

Belinda Carlisle does have an amazing voice, but she didn't perform at the Grammys tonight. I think you meant Brandi Carlile. 😂

Haha yeah I figured that out earlier and changed my post. 

We know that John Legend is not lip synching. Was not expecting the Ukrainian President clip, or to cry before the memorandum.

• Love 8
(edited)

Good on the Grammys for giving Zelensky some time.

Regardless of John Legend's tribute, that sends a message.

I thought the Oscars messed up by not doing that last week. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 14

I haven't watched the Grammys for quite a few years now but I decided to watch tonight and so far, I'm really glad I did.

I liked the opener with Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak a lot.

I'd heard Olivia Rodrigo's name but hadn't heard any of her music. I want to hear that whole album now because I thought she was terrific.

Brandi Carlile is a favorite of mine and, of course, she did not disappoint.

I don't listen to what passes for Country Music nowadays, but I am familiar with some of Chris Stapleton's music and "Cold" was definitely one of my favorite songs in 2021. I don't consider it a "country" song though, to me, it's more a blues song, but I think it transcends genre.

So far, it's a very good show and Trevor Noah's doing well as its host.

• Love 12

I'm enjoying these "play us out" performances from the rooftop, so some of the genres that don't normally make the main show have an opportunity to be heard. I'll probably listen to the full performances online after the main show ends.

• Love 15
(edited)

Okay, well, that clip of the audience singing along to "My Hero" got to me a bit :'(. 

ETA: Wow, I forgot Biz Markie died within the last year. What even is time? 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 12
(edited)

I love this song so much...what a perfect choice for this segment (even with Ben Platt singing)

(That was in reference to "Not a Day Goes By"...although I also love "Send in the Clowns")

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 3

Sigh.  The In Memoriam section should solely be for the performers who have passed on.  Not focusing on live singers singing god.  Like some of the names I can’t even see because the camera is panned back.

• Love 13

I’ve enjoyed Bieber’s recent music so wouldn’t have been upset if he won. Hell, I’m looking forward to his upcoming performance. Figured Olivia Rodrigo would have a big Grammy night like Billie did in 2020. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Readalot said:

That was a nice tribute to Taylor Hawkins. Something live would of been better. But now that I think of it I’m not sure what it could be. RIP Taylor 

I liked that they showed old clips - seeing Dave and Taylor with short hair and baby faces - really reminds how long they've been friends/brothers. So sad.

• Love 7

I guess it shows you where rock ranks with the Grammys these days that Taylor Hawkins' tribute is a little video clip and then Charlie Watts barely gets two seconds in the middle of the Memoriam montage.

• Love 3