Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Slade347 said:

I guess it shows you where rock ranks with the Grammys these days that Taylor Hawkins' tribute is a little video clip and then Charlie Watts barely gets two seconds in the middle of the Memoriam montage.

I'm a *huge* Foo Fighters fan and loved the tribute to Taylor (as well as Billie Eilish wearing a t-shirt with his picture during her performance), but even I can objectively admit that Charlie Watts/Rolling Stones are the bigger legends. I think the special tribute to Taylor had to do with the fact that the Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform at the Grammys tonight, that Taylor's passing was much more recent and shocking (just a few hours before they were supposed to go on stage in Bogota), and that Taylor was relatively young compared to Charlie.

• Love 16

I used to love the Grammys as a kid. Three hours of John Denver on my TV was a fulfillment of my all my dreams. Yep, I was weird...still am.

Now, I flip channels and watch for about two minutes. I am amazed that I actually recognize a lot of the modern names as my age(50). Must be all the Top 40 music my younger co-workers torture me with.

That said, I loved the tribute to Ukraine...hated the In Memoriam segment and still pissed that The Grammy's never gave John Denver a tribute after he died....but oh well....

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

still pissed that The Grammy's never gave John Denver a tribute after he died....but oh well....

If it makes you feel any better, we at Camden Yards in Baltimore, gave him a fitting tribute since we use "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" as our 7th inning stretch song.  We were all quite sad at his passing.  

And, yes, I'm actually a fan from way back anyway.

• Love 6

I’m more traumatized by the sound going out over and over at the same point in this song than whatever Bieber is saying that CBS apparently thinks that my delicate ears cannot handle.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I’m more traumatized by the sound going out over and over at the same point in this song than whatever Bieber is saying that CBS apparently thinks that my delicate ears cannot handle.  

I would have been quite fine with the sound going out for the entire number.

Did I say that out loud? 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

H.E.R. looked so pretty standing there singing in that ball gown and I was like “is she really going to perform a whole number in that?” and then BOOM pants.

I’m loving her set.

• Love 5
(edited)
29 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm a *huge* Foo Fighters fan and loved the tribute to Taylor (as well as Billie Eilish wearing a t-shirt with his picture during her performance), but even I can objectively admit that Charlie Watts/Rolling Stones are the bigger legends. I think the special tribute to Taylor had to do with the fact that the Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform at the Grammys tonight, that Taylor's passing was much more recent and shocking (just a few hours before they were supposed to go on stage in Bogota), and that Taylor was relatively young compared to Charlie.

This Boomer isn't  quite ready to call the Foo Fighters "legendary! But if we both live long enough.....😁

Lenny Kravitz still ROCKS!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5
Just now, mojoween said:

H.E.R. looked so pretty standing there singing in that ball gown and I was like “is she really going to perform a whole number in that?” and then BOOM pants.

I’m loving her set.

I think she's amazing.

• Love 4
(edited)

Too little Lenny Kravitz.

Ooh. Keith Urban on next. Lenny was pretty heavy dating Nicole Kidman years ago. I wish Keith would ditch that old awful haircut.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Some naughty Georgia peaches, I guess! 😄

• LOL 2
(edited)

I keep forgetting that ABBA released new music this year.

Don't know why but I was pretty surprised by that.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

This Boomer isn't  quite ready to call the Foo Fighters "legendary! But if we both live long enough.....😁

Lenny Kravitz still ROCKS!

I'm also a boomer and a huge fan of both Foo Fighters and the Stones. "Legendary" is an apt adjective for both bands. 

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Taylor Hawkins is no longer with us. I'm so glad I got to see FF live. 😔

5 minutes ago, seasons said:

Too little Lenny Kravitz.

Ooh. Keith Urban on next. Lenny was pretty heavy dating Nicole Kidman years ago. I wish Keith would ditch that old awful haircut.

They were actually engaged!

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Starts with an ‘s’. Ends with a ‘hit’

• Useful 2
Just now, xls said:

'weed'

He already said weed four times prior, but I guess the fifth “weed” was too much for CBS along with “bomb ass bitch.”

I hope BTS wins a Grammy one day. They are just so much fun.

Jon’s speech was perfect. 

• Love 8

I know that Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform and obviously could not, but it occurs to me that there was no dedicated rock and roll performance tonight. Lenny Kravitz performing with H.E.R. was the most R&R performance of the night. Who got Foo Fighters' slot and why was it not a rock and roll artist? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, seasons said:

Carrie U  - I don't get it.

She can sing for sure but there is nothing special about her to me.

Kinda Boring show overall. Trevor did ok as host but meh.

Where's a good slap when a show needs one?! 🤭🤫

5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

That was fun - thanks for the company everyone!!

I’m not feeling this two awards shows back to back but it was still enjoyable to hang out!  Catch ya at The Emmys!

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Late Gen X-er/early Millennial here, so the Foo Fighters have been around for more than half of my life. And Dave Grohl was already a legend when he started the band.

When Lenny Kravitz was performing with H.E.R., was I the only one who thought "oh good, Lenny found someone to perform with who doesn't tower over him?" No offense to Lenny - he'll always be one of the sexiest men alive to me - but I've seen him in person and he's very very short.

I FF-ed through Bieber's performance. He'll always be "the Hitler of music" to me.

339cfa4f-9044-46b7-96d9-5849b8ec616b_tex

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I know that Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform and obviously could not, but it occurs to me that there was no dedicated rock and roll performance tonight. Lenny Kravitz performing with H.E.R. was the most R&R performance of the night. Who got Foo Fighters' slot and why was it not a rock and roll artist? 

For years these award shows would have a token rap/hip-hop artist perform, now it's completely flipped and the rock acts get the token treatment. It's disappointing but not surprising they didn't get a rock act to replace the Foos.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, seasons said:

Carrie U  - I don't get it.

She can sing for sure but there is nothing special about her to me.

Kinda Boring show overall. Trevor did ok as host but meh.

Edit - show wasn't necessarily "boring" - there were some great performances. I guess I just expect the Grammys to be edgier? Not crazy like MTV awards, but just feels more like Academy Awards - what you would expect. Trying to make sense but I'm having a hard time making my point as to what was missing for me! 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Bruno is just fun no matter what he's doing. He always brings so much to the proceedings.

I hadn't paid attention to who was going to perform, but was hoping he'd perform.  Such high energy!!!  Love me some 70's-inspired funk.

• Love 4
(edited)
  • Not really a BTS fan, but that Doja Cat song is fucking awful.  And why was SZA using crutches while she was wearing stilettos? I know she claimed she was injured, but it sure looked like she was faking it.
  • Pretty sure BTS was singing over their track. At least they weren't straight-up lip synching I guess.
  • Good to know Bieber still sucks.
  • Silk Sonic was good, but as someone else mentioned, the 70s shtick is getting stale.
  • The Chris Stapleton performance was about as "country" as Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 2

Late to this but I pretty much liked everyone up until Bieber who kept repeating the same line over and over again.  The two guys performing with him were more interesting so I kept my focus there.  I went and did something in the kitchen when Carrie Underwood was on.

I had no idea that Sarah Dash had passed or that Charlie Wilson was the last remaining Wilson brother.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

One person's stale is another person's nostalgia, I guess!

Yes! I think that’s why I enjoy their music along with the Weekend who has been sounding very 70’s and 80’s recently. Love it all.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I find it hard to believe that BTS hasn't won a Grammy.  That sucks. 

While BTS  is one of the biggest groups in the world, it is still a boy band.  Boy bands get nominated for Grammys, they perform at the award ceremony, but they do not win the awards.  

• Love 4
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

While BTS is one of the biggest groups in the world, it is still a boy band.  Boy bands get nominated for Grammys, they perform at the award ceremony, but they do not win the awards.  

While this may be the general consensus and practice, their song was the best of the ones nominated. By a mile.  I wouldn't even consider the Gaga/Bennett duet "pop".

• Love 2