Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Lovely In Memoriam segment.  But, once again, more about the performers (who were really great) and less about the people we miss.  I have a rather large TV and still couldn't see some of the names behind the performers. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

That was one of the better In Memoriam segments I've ever seen on an awards show. Nicely done.

Very thoughtful and artistic approach Mick Fleetwood took with his percussion, performing it almost like a funeral dirge.  Might be one of the few in memoriam segments I've ever watched that actually felt right.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

The "In Memoriam" segment was powerful. For me, it was inanimate objects that made the performances even more beautiful, whether it was Loretta Lynn's guitar, Takeoff's chain or Mick Fleetwood's drum. 

Re Madonna's appearance, to paraphrase "Sunset Blvd." "There's nothing wrong with being 60, unless you try to be 30." 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Neeners said:

They really need to stop showing Ben Affleck...he's bringing the mood down.

I'm trying to figure out why they're even in the room. I've missed a few minutes here and there as I was cooking in the kitchen. Did J-Lo present an award maybe? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

I'm trying to figure out why they're even in the room. I've missed a few minutes here and there as I was cooking in the kitchen. Did J-Lo present an award maybe? 

She did.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Neeners said:

Congrats to Beyonce!

Yes, another smaller category so they can pat themselves on the back for giving her a bunch of Grammys, except for when it comes to AOTY. I fully expect Harry Styles to pull an "upset" tonight and win AOTY. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, another smaller category so they can pat themselves on the back for giving her a bunch of Grammys, except for when it comes to AOTY. I fully expect Harry Styles to pull an "upset" tonight and win AOTY. 

I'm pulling for Bey or Kendrick to win the night but fully expecting it to be Harry.  The fact that Beyonce has no AOTY wins and Swifty has three is kinda bullshit.

• Like 2

I wish they’d list the names of the artists for hip hop. I figured out some of them. Thanks LL for telling us 50 times about the 50th anniversary. Missed it the first 50 times it was said. 
And thank you camera people for not showing us Ben Affleck’s reaction or dance moves during that tribute.

Edited by dbell1
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

I enjoyed the performance.  That was a lot of people to blend into a seamless performance.  I would have liked to know who everyone was but, at times, the names would have filled the stage.  :-) 

Harry Styles napped through his performance.  The hip hop crew brought it all to the stage.

• Like 8

This extended Rap History? Done better by Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake (remember him?!). Well, except for the real Rappers actually performing tonight. 

Beyonce'. Think of any great singer/musician ( not "any other," because I don't find Bey all that great) and realize that artist has fewer Grammys than Beyonce'. Frank. Elvis. Paul. Elton. Carole. It doesn't  matter whom you name.

Boggles the mind, does it not?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I enjoyed the performance.  That was a lot of people to blend into a seamless performance.  I would have liked to know who everyone was but, at times, the names would have filled the stage.  :-) 

Harry Styles napped through his performance.  The hip hop crew brought it all to the stage.

And they left it there, too. 🎤

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

If the 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop doesn't deserve a 3-hour prime time special, then I don't know what does. 💯

I'd be surprised if something of that nature isn't already in the works. Along those lines, the first episode of "Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World" premiered on PBS last week. I thought the kickoff was well done. Series info and Episode 1 at this link.  https://www.pbs.org/show/fight-power-how-hip-hop-changed-world/

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I cried when Bonnie Raitt mentioned John Prine.  Losing him is still too fresh and still painful. 

Glad to see Chris Martin dressed up for the Grammys with Justin Beiber’s stolen clothes.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I cried when Bonnie Raitt mentioned John Prine.  Losing him is still too fresh and still painful. 

Glad to see Chris Martin dressed up for the Grammys with Justin Beiber’s stolen clothes.

Now, I already gave you a love for the John Prine post.  But now I want to give you a laugh for the Chris Martin post... 😄

And... yay Lizzo!!! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

"About Damn Time"-how appropriate! 😂 

Lizzo is delightful! Her positivity is refreshing. She was happy and the audience was happy for her! If her, Adele, Beyonce', Mary J. Blige and Queen Latifah did a collabo, it would be epic, to say the least! 👑 🎤

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I never again want to see a round table of random people discussing album of the year. It was like a SNL skit with a Coldplay loving Pilates instructor and a random guy who lost a bet and was picked to talk about ABBA. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 7
13 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I never again want to see a round table of random people discussing album of the year. It was like a SNL skit with a Coldplay loving Pilates instructor and a random guy who lost a bet and was picked to talk about ABBA. 

As harsh as it may sound, I watch the Grammys to see rock, pop, rap, hip-hop, R & B, country, movie and TV stars, not nobodies. If you've got nothing to do the music nor the people who've made it, then I don't care. It's just a boring and annoying waste of time.

On the other hand, Samara Joy is a gorgeous woman with a gorgeous voice. Her Best New Artist acceptance speech was charming. She definitely lives up to her last name.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 7