Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

As harsh as it may sound, I watch the Grammys to see rock, pop, rap, movie and TV stars, not nobodies. If you've got nothing to do the music nor the people who've made it, then I don't care.

And now, they're going onstage.  Yikes.

• LOL 1
57 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I wish they’d list the names of the artists for hip hop. I figured out some of them. Thanks LL for telling us 50 times about the 50th anniversary. Missed it the first 50 times it was said. 
And thank you camera people for not showing us Ben Affleck’s reaction or dance moves during that tribute.

I was able to call out about 60% of them for my family. AVClub had a list of them all:

“Big Boi, Busta Rhymes, De La Soul, DJ Drama, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Missy Elliott, Future, GloRilla, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, Scorpio, Ice-T, Lil Baby, Lil Wayne, The Lox, Method Man, Nelly, Public Enemy, Queen Latifah, Rahiem, Rakim, Run-DMC, Salt-N-Peppa, Spinderella, Scarface, Swizz Beatz, Black Thought, Questlove, LL Cool J, and Too Short. There were also nods to artists who weren’t included, like a Beastie Boys T-shirt that was highlighted during the Run-DMC segment and a rolling list of names onscreen behind everyone.”

QTip was the one I was waiting for but who wasn’t there. I thought the whole thing came off well and folks sounded good. Chuck D and Flavor Flav seemingly haven’t aged?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1

I don’t like Beyoncé’s new stuff. She should have won with Lemonade. I think it was up against Adele which was pretty tough, and her prior album was up against Beck.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3

Trevor’s inspired moment to bring up the normal peeps was pretty cool. But only because granny got to meet Harry. It would have gone horribly wrong if ABBA or Coldplay had won. 

Is this parking lot song why Beyoncé was late? Detour due to buffet?

In my next life, I want to sit at Lizzo’s and Adele’s table. 

• Like 4

I don't like Beyonce's music. There. I said it. I was glad anyone other than her won AOTY. 

Harry Styles is now getting hate like it's his fault that he got more votes. This should his moment but Beyonce fans are making it all about her. She only broke the record for most Grammy wins but they are spreading hate instead of celebrating her record. Fandom are crazy and hateful. Just enjoy your favorite; hate is not good for your mental and physical health. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
15 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't like Beyonce's music. There. I said it. I was glad anyone other than her won AOTY. 

Harry Styles is now getting hate like it's his fault that he got more votes. This should his moment but Beyonce fans are making it all about her. She only broke the record for most Grammy wins but they are spreading hate instead of celebrating her record. Fandom are crazy and hateful. Just enjoy your favorite; hate is not good for your mental and physical health. 

I don't care for her music either so you are not alone. I think she is overrated. I also think it helps who she is married to. JMHO. 

My local radio station was listing off people who have never won a grammy. I was surprised, everyone from Andy Williams to Snoop Dog. 

I like Harry Styles. His music isn't my usual type of music but I can listen to it and enjoy it. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 9

I used to love Beyonce and DC back in the day but went to a Beyonce concert a few years ago and it turned me off her I don’t mind her tho. Her newer music is less my thing.

I really dislike Harry Styles lol. Like not as a person I don’t know him obviously but his music is the worst imo. It’s just so boring and blah. So after all that rambling I have no point lol other then to say the Grammys sucked other then the hip hop thing and I don’t even care who won any of the awards. I feel like an old lady lol.

Edited by Marley
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Marley said:

I used to love e Beyonce and DC back in the day but went to a Beyonce concert a few years ago and it turned me off her I don’t mind her tho. Her newer music is less my thing.

I really dislike Harry Styles lol. Like not as a person I don’t know him obviously but his music is the worst imo. It’s just so boring and blah. So after all that rambling I have no point lol other then to say the Grammys sucked other then the hip hop thing and I don’t even care who won any of the awards. I feel like an old lady lol.

I feel old too. My husband mentioned this morning "they don't even show the rock or alternative awards anymore" and even some of them I don't know! Though Ozzy won. I know him. 

• Like 3

I'll sit at the olds table with all of you. 

I don't even bother to watch the Grammys or any other music awards shows anymore because I've never heard of 85% of the performers/nominees. I have my artists that I like and support but unless I know that they're performing, I don't bother with the shows. 

I'm indifferent re: Beyonce as a solo artist but I loved me some Destiny's Child back in the day and I don't think I've ever heard a Harry Styles song in full. 👵

Fandom these days frightens me. Can you imagine if social media had been around during the days of New Edition vs. New Kids on the Block vs. Menudo??? Bloodshed. 😉

• Like 10

The Grammys are pretty consistent in that if you have general idea of who any of these artists are, you can pick the majority of the time who's going to win the awards and they stayed true to that last night.  Though Bonnie Raitt was a pleasant surprise (probably because she was the only one listed as a writer in her category).  I'm always surprised when folks get awards for a song written by committee.

Madonna looks like a Bratz doll.  I wasn't expecting to see Shania in Thom Browne and I'm not sure it's her look (Janelle Monae or LeBron James, sure).

Enjoyed the hip hop tribute which was one of the only reasons I tuned-in.  Though yes, it would have been nice to have the names of the artists pop up on the screen behind.  I knew a lot but not all.  Same with the in memoriam, it was nicely done except for some of the names couldn't be seen.

J Lo needs to leave Ben at home next time but that's not her.  Beyonce stuck in traffic was amusing and I kind of wish she'd never arrived.

I'm not sure about awards shows giving participants alcohol is the best idea especially since musicians tend to not need reasons to go off the rails in normal circumstances at award shows but I guess it was something for them to try.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Madonna looks like a Bratz doll.  I wasn't expecting to see Shania in Thom Browne and I'm not sure it's her look (Janelle Monae or LeBron James, sure).

Madonna, the look is not good on you. I get it, people can do what they want but why oh why?? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm not sure about awards shows giving participants alcohol is the best idea especially since musicians tend to not need reasons to go off the rails in normal circumstances at award shows but I guess it was something for them to try.

The awards folks didn't need to give participants alcohol, didn't you see Lizzo take that wee glass flask out of her purse and have a nip?

• LOL 4

I'm thrilled for Viola Davis getting her EGOT!  As far as I am concerned, this woman should win every single award every single time.  There's very few actresses I would put in the category of "national treasure", but she (and Michelle Pfeiffer) is one.

I think the greatest part about her winning her Grammy is her speech in which she made it clear that she didn't do an audiobook just to win a Grammy, she wrote the book to honour her 6 year old self and wanted to tell her story.

Madonna... yeech.  The eyes are mostly the same, the rest is unrecognisable.  She's embarking on her Celebration tour this year, we have tickets, I hope she gets her old face and abilities back.  Otherwise there will be a lot of angry fans. 

• Like 7

I had no idea that was Madonna.

Ben needs to be left home next time. He obviously didn't want to come and then fighting already was embarrassing.  

Beyonce is always late shows up after show starts, traffic didn't affect anyone else.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

If Harry Styles and his dancers looked a little rattled at the beginning of the "As it Was" turntable production it's because they were. He and the dancers had been practicing for weeks on the number even up to showtime.  They all took the stage and presumably one of IATSE's finest threw the switch to start the turntable rotating unfortunately in the wrong direction than rehearsed resulting in the all performers being forced to doing the number backwards/reversed immediately and without practice. It was all on the fly.

That Harry and the cast were able to do the steps in the opposite direction having never ever done so really speaks to how talented and professional these folks are. Just mind boggling.

Edited by kib
  • Like 3
  • Useful 7

I didn’t watch the show.  Does anyone recall if Robert Plant and Allison Kraus were in the audience for the awards?  They were nominated for a country duet, but didn’t win.   I don’t watch award shows anymore, but will power through it, if he was shown during the nominee  announcements.  

On 2/6/2023 at 2:24 PM, kib said:

The awards folks didn't need to give participants alcohol, didn't you see Lizzo take that wee glass flask out of her purse and have a nip?

I love Lizzo!  Maybe I will watch.  Lol

• Like 1