Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

Alicia was talking and my thought was, she's the female version of LL Cool J.  I never thought he was a very interesting host either. 

Both of them have been favorites of the esteemed Academy for quite a few years now.  They serve their purposes which is a room temperature presence that can hit their marks, keep the show clock on schedule and not offend.

I like Keys better but miss the LL Cool J lip licking drinking game...

Edited by kib
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Okay, who are these two women who look alike, with the cute blunt cut hairdos?  Missed the intro.

whaaat!  Bob Newhart!!! 

Dua Lipa and St Vincent (yeah, I had to ask someone, even though I know who both of them are, but not well enough to place them)

• Love 1

Did this guy lose a lot of weight and didn't want to buy a new suit?

5 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I just binge watched That 70's show. I couldn't figure out how that geeky looking kid from That 70s show could get so much good looking tail in Hollywood. 

I can see it now. I don't get what he's doing at the Grammys, but okay. 

The only thing I can think of is he was Demi Lovato's bf for a while. But that's a stretch.

3 minutes ago, Neeners said:

Did this guy lose a lot of weight and didn't want to buy a new suit?

The only thing I can think of is he was Demi Lovato's bf for a while. But that's a stretch.

Didn't he also date LiLo and Mandy Moore? He keeps claiming he took Mandy's virginity even though she denies it, but either way, he shouldn't be blasting that shizzle, ugh.

Oh man, I miss Tower Records. And spending hours in there previewing every CD I wanted to buy.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I just binge watched That 70's show. I couldn't figure out how that geeky looking kid from That 70s show could get so much good looking tail in Hollywood. 

I can see it now. I don't get what he's doing at the Grammys, but okay. 

Wilmer is now on a CBS show NCIS so they are probably promoting it by showing how hot he turned out.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

BTW, Diana Ross wishing herself a happy birthday several times more than a month before her actual birthday is #goals. 

WTF. I really thought it was her birthday. Why is she jinxing herself?

27 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Yep. Whenever I see J Lo, I think of Motown. 

Since we are asking about references an elder would recognize. She is closer to Motown than Adam Ant was.

36 minutes ago, Neeners said:

They really do NOT care about cutting people off on this show, do they?

We're all meeting again for the Oscars, right?

Gary Shandling way back in 1994 while hosting the Grammys: "We got a call from Lorena Bobbitt who said, "Even I wouldn't have cut off Frank Sinatra."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

He's never seemed like someone who's very self-aware.

I just realized we're over two hours into the show. I remember things seemed to go by a lot slower last year.

I'm embarrassed that a Canadian would be so ignorant & trivialize such an award.  Drake can be such a flippant asshole at time.  Sorry!!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I'd hate to be the one sitting next to Cardi B or Janelle Monae. Did Katy Perry really think that looking like a pregnant pink elephant was a good idea? Does Heidi Klum just show up anytime there's a Red Carpet event? And Michelle Trainor-no, just no.

MEGHAN Trainor, actually. And as a big-breasted woman without any long legs to show off, it gives me hope, lol. 😉

3 hours ago, Bewitched said:

WTH is Katy Perry doing this tribute anyway?

Kasey Musgraves was great and Miley understands that you let your godmother shine.

She's performed with Dolly before, and she and Kacey performed that song together in 2014 for the CMT show Crossroads. Kacey also opened for her on her Prismatic World Tour in 2014, and on her last night on the tour, they performed it together again. I'll admit she overdid it a bit, but I love them together so it didn't bother me much. I'll take the crap. 😉

Am I the only one who didn't think J-Lo's Motown tribute was as bad as it was expected to be, no matter how random it was? I mean, I'm not 100 percent sure that was HER voice she was lip-syncing to, but you know...

Brandi Carlile should be a star. I think she will be after tonight.

Kacey is only the second solo female country artist to win AOTY; Taylor Swift won for Fearless in 2010 (back when she pretending to be country, lol), although the Dixie Chicks won this award twice as well. Women in country get overlooked in their own genre, let alone in general, so this is a proud night for me as a country fan. It's hard not to feel ashamed to be a fan of the genre sometimes, because it's seen as so "uncool" and "lame" (sometimes with good reason), but these women help prove why I love it so much. 🙂

Also: I LOVE Diana Ross' grandson! I remember when she got the Icon Award at the AMAs in 2017 and he started dancing on stage. 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

How is Gaga going to do Shallow without Bradley?  It needs them both to work

Also in my car I sound JUST like Gaga when I am shouting the chorus at the top of my lungs.

She actually does it alone as her encore every night at her show in Vegas...except for the night that Bradley Cooper showed up recently, and she asked him to join her. 🙂

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

What?  JLo doing the Motown tribute????!!!    No.  She is not worthy.

Like Miley doing the Dolly tribute. Please.

Miley IS Dolly's goddaughter, though, and she loves her. 🙂

And actually, in spite of the weirdness of seeing her in that outfit dancing to Motown on PIANO (!), I actually didn't think it was as bad as I thought it would be. And DAMN if that's what I look like at almost 50! (I'll be 30 at the very end of this month; am I the youngest one posting here tonight? lol)

1 hour ago, Neeners said:

They really do NOT care about cutting people off on this show, do they?

I was shocked at how much they were cutting everyone off. They needed to CHILL. 

Also: today (well, yesterday now) really WAS Roberta Flack's 80th birthday; hence Alicia Keys starting off her piano routine with "Killing Me Softly." 🙂 

Also, one last thing, I promise:

If you can, PLEASE check out the music of Margo Price, one of the artists who was nominated for Best New Artist. She is another example of the kind of country artist we NEED in mainstream Nashville.

And with Kacey Musgraves winning AOTY, country radio's lack of women on the airwaves is accented even MORE. They can truly take a hint from Heathers and fuck themselves gently with a chainsaw. Assholes.

And as always, PLEASE come join me in the country music thread in the music forum if you haven't before! It gets awful lonely there sometimes. -_-

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Poor Dua Lipa- wonderful speech and she got cut off.

Dua Lipa was absolutely precious and well deserving. I hope she can continue to have a career beyond One Kiss. New Rules is one of my jams.

1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Didn't he also date LiLo and Mandy Moore? He keeps claiming he took Mandy's virginity even though she denies it, but either way, he shouldn't be blasting that shizzle, ugh.

As the Knack would say "[he] always get it up for the touch of the younger kind". That is Wilmer Valderrama. Fiction mirrored reality there, he is actually Fez in real life. Gross old man.

38 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm embarrassed that a Canadian would be so ignorant & trivialize such an award.  Drake can be such a flippant asshole at time.  Sorry!!!

I have quite a few friends from Toronto and one rants constantly about how much he hates Drake and how awful it is that Drake is tied to Toronto. Drake doesn't have a lot of self awareness, period. He's one of music's biggest artists right now. You throw Drake rapping on a single and you probably have a hit. Most artists today don't have the luxury Drake does.

I ended up drifting in and out of the broadcast. Dolly Parton and Diana Ross were highlights of the show. I would love to have Dolly's showmanship without all the ridiculous props and dancing.

I won't see y'all for the Oscars. The only movies I saw this year were the Avengers one and Crazy Rich Asians. At least work gives me the opportunity to listen to music in my downtime.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Oh man, I miss Tower Records. And spending hours in there previewing every CD I wanted to buy.

I heard it was Lindsay Lohan's virginity, cuz Wilmer was dating her before she was 18, and they kept it "friends" in the tabloids, but that's Hollywood's hypocrisy..... and she was beautiful,  not messed up on drugs yet.  

Thank you National Enquirer and People mag and Entertainment Tonight. TMZ want around then.

Have I wasted brain cells and time that I'll never get back?  

Pour me some morev wine and, I'll let you know when I get done watching this life affirming show. 😉

7 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

My issue with Drake is that he's such a damn poseur. First he made a big show of publicly stating how he wouldn't submit his work for consideration for the Grammys because that's how much he doesn't care. And yet somehow he ended up with 7 nominations. Someone had to submit it because they don't nominate work that wasn't formally submitted. All so some of his gullible fans can go, "oh Drake doesn't even submit and he still gets nominated...LEGEND" What the hell ever. 

And then he makes a big show of declining to perform, acting like he has zero interest in the show and won't attend. But coinky dinky he shows up to accept an award. Say what you will but when Childish Gambino and Kendrick both said, "thanks, no thanks", they meant it and stayed away. 

7 hours ago, UYI said:

Am I the only one who didn't think J-Lo's Motown tribute was as bad as it was expected to be, no matter how random it was? I mean, I'm not 100 percent sure that was HER voice she was lip-syncing to, but you know...

It started off okay but I got very confused when it veered into her typical Vegas performance complete with Salsa dancing and feathers. At that point I forgot that this was supposed to be a Motown tribute. For someone who's a good dancer (her singing is meh at best but she can dance) J-Lo actually could have done way more with that performance, especially considering all the backlash she got just from them announcing she was doing the tribute. 

I heard it was Lindsay Lohan's virginity,

There was probably that story too because Wilmer is the creeper who has dated many young Hollywood stars. But he definitely said it about Mandy as well. I think he said it on Howard Stern's Sirius XM show and then Howard asked Mandy about it when she was on the show some months or even a year later. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I completely forgot to snark about this with you guys until I was heading for bed at 11:30.  Quick thoughts:

-that was a lot of tongue bathing towards Neil Portnow given his comments on how women had to "step up" last year and now he's resigning in part of it. I chuckled that Dua Lipa subtly called him out.  

-Gaga, JLo, Obama, Keys and Smith is the Avengers movie I didn't know I needed...

-..until JLo did the Motown tribute.  I don't mind her overall and I think anything in the Latin Pop medleys she does she's great at.  She was ok at the start.  But then the body suits and sequins and feathers came out and I'm like "WHYYYYYYYYY."  

-Similarly, I like Gaga.  I love Shallow (and unless All The Stars has a huge voting block coming soon, this is winning the Oscar) but I wasn't feeling this version at all.  There is a way to do it with more of a rock edge but not going overboard on it  I'm expecting the Oscars will have a more toned down version.  The recent version she did in Vegas when Bradley Cooper showed up was outstanding.

-I thought Alicia Keys was a decent host and her double piano bit was great.  But whoever was handling the mic cutting...you cut off Drake (which I get why even though I also see his point) and Dua Lipa (boooo) but it felt like Cardi B went on for a year.  I'm still not on board with her and I really don't get her appeal. 

-Finally Dolly Parton is in my top ten of "when that person dies, the world is FUCKED" list.  

See you at the Oscars!

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Gaga, JLo, Obama, Keys and Smith is the Avengers movie I didn't know I needed...

-..until JLo did the Motown tribute.  I don't mind her overall and I think anything in the Latin Pop

Now that’s an Avengers movie I’d actually watch! Even J Lo. I prefer her acting to her singing. She was great on ‘Shades of Blue,’ and ‘Out of Sight’ is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

5 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Finally Dolly Parton is in my top ten of "when that person dies, the world is FUCKED" list.  

For sure.

I’d actually forgotten about the song, ‘Here you come again’ until her tribute. I used to sing that song constantly as a kid—and had no idea what it was about. Just loved Dolly’s voice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

-I thought Alicia Keys was a decent host and her double piano bit was great.  But whoever was handling the mic cutting...you cut off Drake (which I get why even though I also see his point) and Dua Lipa (boooo) but it felt like Cardi B went on for a year.  I'm still not on board with her and I really don't get her appeal.

The Grammys got flack for not including Cardi B as a performer beyond the rap in Finesse last year. She is also a media darling right now. You'll notice the award Girls Like You was nominated for they showed Cardi B instead of Maroon 5.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I completely forgot to snark about this with you guys until I was heading for bed at 11:30.  Quick thoughts:

-that was a lot of tongue bathing towards Neil Portnow given his comments on how women had to "step up" last year and now he's resigning in part of it. I chuckled that Dua Lipa subtly called him out.  

I was surprised and kind of annoyed that he was given such a tongue bath before his departure. Portnow made some brief general mention of his comments last year by saying his views had been broadened or some nonsense. He's always seemed to have a pretty high sense of self-importance though.