Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The announcer lady keeps telling us to wait for “Grammy moments” and “performances everyone will be talking about tomorrow” and I feel like that’s just putting unreasonable expectations on the entire enterprise.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, cincivic said:

I only recognized Cyndi Pauper on stage with Kesha. I didn't catch the names of the others. Who were they?

Bebe rexha was next to Cyndi, camila cabello was on Kesha’s left.

Edited by Luvzmutt
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The announcer lady keeps telling us to wait for “Grammy moments” and “performances everyone will be talking about tomorrow” and I feel like that’s just putting unreasonable expectations on the entire enterprise.

Kesha's has a chance....

• Love 1

My pre-teen (1970s) playlist was made up primarily of The Carpenters, Elton John, Queen, Chicago, Styx, and The Bee-Gees, as well as lots of classic ‘60s rock. So great to see one of them still knocking it out of the park!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The “Tears in Heaven” performance is making me incredibly sad.  It’s infuriating that it was ever needed in the first place.

In addition to having to address a sad event I thought it was a terrible performance.

Kesha, Pink, and Patti were all fabulous.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
Just now, biakbiak said:

In addition to having to addres a sad event I thought it wa s a terrible performance.

Yeah I felt really bad for not liking it because of the meaning behind the performance but their voices just did not go very well with the song. And Tears In Heaven is one of my all time favorite songs. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Those were some disinterested people sitting there after Patti LuPone's brilliant performance. 

Yeah, geez, couldn't they at least be polite and pretend to be interested in such an iconic performance.  

• Love 5

Man alive the photos in the “In Memoriam” were flashing by way too fast.

And those poor people (sorry, I only retained the name Khalid so don’t know who the other two are), having to transition to a performance with Chester Bennington’s picture just floating behind them.

Oh also apparently U2 shouted out “shithole countries” which was bleeped out on TV.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I forgot this was on.

i hate to say it because I really respect the sentiment behind it, but that Logic song is kinda wack. It seems like such a Statement song that the sentiment feels contrived. It’s like they wanted to show middle aged people that hip-hop isn’t just about turning up. And I still don’t get Khalid. 

Quick prediction: Kendrick’s gonna win AOTY.

• Love 1

Bruno Mars hit the triple : Record, Song and Album.  A bit surprised Kendrick didn't land that.  And people seem upset.  

Not Adele level 'she stole that from Queen Bey!' anger but noticeable. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Quick prediction: Kendrick’s gonna win AOTY.

Wrong. Screwed once again. And I hate this because I love Bruno. I really do. So I don't want to not be happy for him but man, at this point, it'd be better if the Grammys just stop nominating Kendrick. This is painful at this point. For the guy to put so much into everything he does and year after year. I still struggle to wrap my head around Taylor Swift's 1989 beating his To Pimp A Butterfly and now this. Bruno's album was good yes but Kendrick's stuff is freaking masterful. 

Not Adele level 'she stole that from Queen Bey!' anger but pretty close. 

That's because as upset as Beyonce's fans were, Adele has her own massive fanbase and on top of that, Adele's album was commercially more successful than Beyonce's and just as critically acclaimed as Beyonce's. That was a really tough contest. 

Again, I love Bruno but Kendrick's album was commercially and critically more successful. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And those poor people (sorry, I only retained the name Khalid so don’t know who the other two are), having to transition to a performance with Chester Bennington’s picture just floating behind them.

1800 273 8255 is the name of the song. It's also the suicide prevention hotline number. 

• Love 4

...well shit. 

Congrats to Bruno! I was kinda expecting to be disappointed. 

Bruno, you’re being shitty like Adele was last year. THANK THE TEAM OF PEOPLE WHO HELPED YOU MAKE THE ALBUM YOU JUST WON A FUCKING GRAMMY FOR! 

Damn. These musicians really have no grace or class. They have this team behind them and they want to thank everybody in the world but them.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wrong. Screwed once again. And I hate this because I love Bruno. I really do. So I don't want to not be happy for him but man, at this point, it'd be better if the Grammys just stop nominating Kendrick. This is painful at this point. For the guy to put so much into everything he does and year after year. I still struggle to wrap my head around Taylor Swift's 1989 beating his To Pimp A Butterfly and now this. Bruno's album was good yes but Kendrick's stuff is freaking masterful. 

That's because as upset as Beyonce's fans were, Adele has her own massive fanbase and on top of that, Adele's album was commercially more successful than Beyonce's and just as critically acclaimed as Beyonce's. That was a really tough contest. 

Again, I love Bruno but Kendrick's album was commercially and critically more successful. 

I love both artists myself. 

The academy doesn't give the award based on commercial or critical success. 

I remember when Lionel Richie beat out Prince in 1985. 

They don't always get it right. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think it comes down to a couple of things with Kendrick: 

1. Kendrick fans have a hard accepting that there are people for whom he’s just alright. In hip-hop, he’s a big fish. He’s a lyricist, he has an old-school ethos, and yet he isn’t ubiquitous like Srake, Nicki, Cardi B, and the parade of mop-headed mumble rappers. But there are people who aren’t entirely moved by Kendrick.

2. Because hip-hop is so en trend, actual singing of songs with actual hooks Is kind of thrilling to the jaded Grammy voters. Jay Z, Childish, and Kendrick kinda split the difference. So you had Lorde, who made a good album most people didn’t listen to, and Bruno who had an album people might’ve heard a time or two.

3. We don’t know how much campaigning Kendrick does for these awards. He could not be winning because he’s just letting the music speak for itself.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

I love both artists myself. 

So do I. In fact, I own both albums which is why  I know that while Bruno's album was good yes, I don't believe it was deserving of AOTY.

7 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

They don't always get it right. 

No kidding. Just ask Kendrick who lost every award he was nominated for for his first album to Macklemore (yeah, where's he right now), then lost AOTY to Taylor Swift;'s incredibly basic 1989 album and now this. 

1. Kendrick fans have a hard accepting that there are people for whom he’s just alright. In hip-hop, he’s a big fish. He’s a lyricist, he has an old-school ethos, and yet he isn’t ubiquitous like Srake, Nicki, Cardi B, and the parade of mop-headed mumble rappers. But there are people who aren’t entirely moved by Kendrick.

With all due respect, but what? First of all, of course he has detractors or people who aren't moved by him. That's every artist. Some people think Beyonce is overrated, Adele is boring, etc.

Kendrick's name has been at the forefront of many people's mind since his infamous verse on Big Sean's Control. And for the ones who didn't know who he was when he got the slew of nominations for his Good Kid, M.A.A.D City album, they all knew after his amazing Grammy performance with Imagine Dragons, that everyone was talking about the next day. Kind of like his performance at the Grammys two years ago and likely tonight again. 

Alright from To Pimp A Butterfly became a rallying cry for the #BlackLivesMatter movement. To Pimp A Butterfly solidified Kendrick as the one of the biggest names in Hip Hop/Rap period. He had the biggest selling rap album this past year, Humble was a BB #1, he was trending all over social media when he released his album at midnight, etc. Sure there are a bunch of flashes in the pan like Cardi B that people talk about (see Iggy Azalea a few years ago) but that doesn't mean Kendrick isn't present or known as those.

2. Because hip-hop is so en trend, actual singing of songs with actual hooks Is kind of thrilling to the jaded Grammy voters. Jay Z, Childish, and Kendrick kinda split the difference. So you had Lorde, who made a good album most people didn’t listen to, and Bruno who had an album people might’ve heard a time or two.

I will give you the vote splitting because many critics who called Bruno's winning, though they thought Kendrick deserved it, predicted that would happen and that's how Bruno would win. But I'm going to dismiss the bolded part to say the same thing I said the last time this happened. This has fuck all to do with voters being so happy to hear singing of songs and everything to do with their never respecting and acknowledging Hip Hop/Rap as a legitimate genre. Because they were ignoring them when Pop and singing of songs was dominating the airwaves. It is no coincidence that no Rap/Hip Hop song has ever won SOTY or ROTY.

3. We don’t know how much campaigning Kendrick does for these awards. He could not be winning because he’s just letting the music speak for itself.

He campaigns. Maybe not aggressively but he does. Because while yes, it shouldn't be about awards, it does say something to someone to feel like their effort is rewarded. And yes, I know he's won many of the Rap categories and so at this point, he has like at least 10 awards.  But there is no way I imagine it doesn't suck for Kendrick to have to hear people go on about his having the best album and all the praise and still come up short. It's so sad that a music critic at Billboard, when just predicting who would get nominated, said Kendrick would and he was his pick to win but that he knew he wouldn't. Even back then, they knew.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

No kidding. Just ask Kendrick who lost every award he was nominated for for his first album to Macklemore (yeah, where's he right now), then lost AOTY to Taylor Swift;'s incredibly basic 1989 album and now this. 

Taylor deserved that win IMO.  1989 was jam-packed with hits, all of them great and catchy songs.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Taylor deserved that win IMO.  1989 was jam-packed with hits, all of them great and catchy songs.  

Yes, she made a really good Pop album that deserved to be nominated for AOTY but it wasn't the best album and didn't deserve to win against the competition she was up against, IMHO. Shake It Off alone was one of the most juvenile songs, with a hook line that may or may not have been jacked from 3LW. 

• Love 1