Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, ancslove said:

Lady Gaga is performing again, apparently.  I'm a little surprised that she's choosing Grammys over BAFTAs this year.  They usually clash.

I'm not. BAFTA has no Original Song category, so the only thing she's up for is Lead Actress and she won't win and I have a feeling she knows it. She's been losing to Glenn Close at the major precursor awards and if BAFTA doesn't continue the trend of awarding Close, they're going to give it to Olivia Colman. With the Grammys on the other hand, she has a very good chance of winning as many think Shallow is a strong contender for Record of the Year.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Neeners said:

Is anyone watching this?

I am, although I've seen nothing worth commenting on yet. 

ETA:  Except Chaka Khan looks fabulous!!

Edited by ebk57
On 2/7/2019 at 7:36 AM, truthaboutluv said:

I'm not. BAFTA has no Original Song category, so the only thing she's up for is Lead Actress and she won't win and I have a feeling she knows it. She's been losing to Glenn Close at the major precursor awards and if BAFTA doesn't continue the trend of awarding Close, they're going to give it to Olivia Colman. With the Grammys on the other hand, she has a very good chance of winning as many think Shallow is a strong contender for Record of the Year.

ASIB won for Best Original Music. So a BAFTA for Bradley, Gaga, and Lukas Nelson.

• Love 1

I'm watching the red carpet interviews on both channels with the sound off. I'm feeling vain tonight and just want to see the hair, clothes and makeup. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the actual show. I do want to see the Dolly tribute so I'm hoping that gets uploaded somewhere by itself.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I'd hate to be the one sitting next to Cardi B or Janelle Monae. Did Katy Perry really think that looking like a pregnant pink elephant was a good idea? Does Heidi Klum just show up anytime there's a Red Carpet event? And Michelle Trainor-no, just no.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 4

I love Michelle Obama so very much.  

However, why were she and Jada there?  I mean, I get it that if you can get Michelle, you do whatever she wants, but Jada is music adjacent, no?

I have no idea about Shawn Mendez other than he inexplicably rap battled against Odell Beckham Jr. on Drop the Mic.

• Love 3

I'm surprised they're okay with Miley's choice of wardrobe. That looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

I wish Shawn Mendes had done There's Nothing Holding Me Back rather than In My Blood. Ah well.

Oh Gaga, I love you but stop looking fake shocked. You were getting that Grammy.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

However, why were she and Jada there?  I mean, I get it that if you can get Michelle, you do whatever she wants, but Jada is music adjacent, no?

I have no idea about Shawn Mendez other than he inexplicably rap battled against Odell Beckham Jr. on Drop the Mic.

Michele is there for her book (in audio form).  I don't know about Jada. 

But I'm always thrilled to see Michele.  Always!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He did a mash up of Mercy/In Your Atmosphere with John Mayer that's pretty good. Todd in the Shadows also really hates him.

10 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm surprised they're okay with Miley's choice of wardrobe. That looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

I wish Shawn Mendes had done There's Nothing Holding Me Back rather than In My Blood. Ah well.

Oh Gaga, I love you but stop looking fake shocked. You were getting that Grammy.

Miley wore something similar recently - SNL?? Can't remember.  Must be her new look. 😞

Agree with poster above -- Gaga's speech was great with the mental health PSA. 

• Love 1

As much as I loved seeing Ricky Martin and Young Thug on Havana, I never want to hear that freaking song again. 

Serious question: did Gaga take a hit of coke before the awards? She looks and is acting high. Congrats I guess to her for her win.

Shawn Mendes and Miley sounded straight CHEEKS.

Who was the chick in the white dress? And Janelle Monáe is...more weird than good.

I have two left feet when it comes to any kind of rhythm so I have to admit to being mad impressed when Janelle did that thing where she turned to the left and she and all her dancers did the same leg move.  All while Janelle was still holding, and playing, a guitar.

• Love 8

Ricky Martin's mustache is interesting to say the least...

I'm wondering if the mention of vaginas during Janelle's song is going to be mentioned in the critiques people are going to write up about the show afterwards. I don't care one way or the other personally. It's just one of those things some people like to point out instead of focusing on the bigger events.

Whoever is directing this show may not be doing so again. That Alicia/John screwup after their little bit was pretty bad.

I have a bunch of tats so that doesn’t bother me even if I personally would not tattoo my face, but could Post Malone maybe brush his hair?  Just once?

Awkward moment for Alicia.  Perhaps they could have rehearsed that a bit.

Just now, mojoween said:

Awkward moment for Alicia.  Perhaps they could have rehearsed that a bit.

I wonder if they expected Gaga to win this category too, and hadn't planned for the event that one of the nominees who isn't there actually won. (But I'm thrilled "This is America" won!)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Whoever is directing this show may not be doing so again. That Alicia/John screwup after their little bit was pretty bad.

Childish Gambino was pretty vocal about not attending the Grammys. They've had the time to prep ahead if Ariana Grande, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, or Childish Gambino win an award and aren't there. Contingency plans and all that.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Loved Janelle.  I felt like she was channeling Prince a bit with that song.

I thought the exact same thing.  The melody was very Prince like.

We. Do. Not. Need. Another.  Aladdin.

And whoever that is playing Jafar...no.  Your voice is TERRIBLE to be Jafar.  Stop it right now Disney.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have a bunch of tats so that doesn’t bother me even if I personally would not tattoo my face, but could Post Malone maybe brush his hair?  Just once?

Awhile back a friend online posted tidbits from an article they read about him and one mentioned that Post Malone doesn't bathe often. So everytime I see him I wonder if he's bathed or at least cleaned the areas that produce a lot of smells for the sake of those he encounters at events like the Grammys.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Miley couldn't be bothered to put on a proper top/shirt/something even for the Dolly tribute. At least she's not butchering anything.

Her sofa cover suit probably cost more than my mortgage but didn't come with a shirt.  Tragic.

Honestly I'm just waiting impatiently for “9 to 5.”  “A Coat of Many Colors” is probably too much to hope for.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

WTH is Katy Perry doing this tribute anyway?

Kasey Musgraves was great and Miley understands that you let your godmother shine.

Felt the same way about Miley sharing the stage in another almost breast-baring top that is too big.  She is not worthy, IMO.  Dolly is gracious.

Love Dolly!

• Love 3