Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, kib said:

McCartney's favorite song as well

Apropos of nothing, it's also Tony Kornheiser's favorite Beach Boys song.  I know this because he tells us over and over and over on his podcast.

• Love 4

I love that George Martin was the final spot. I lot of legendary people died last year and I think is understandable that people may have forgotten about him. But he really did contribute to the music world in profound way. Maybe I'm overstating things because I love the Beatles.

I love God Only Knows and John Legend and Cynthia Errivo did a lovely job.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 18

I am so glad they remembered Milt Okun in their segment. He was a profund producer in the 70's..and deserved to be remembered..Still, seeing all those names..sucks...and seeing Prince and George Micheal in past tense terms is still weird...

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I love the George Martin was the final spot. I lot of legendary people died last year and I think is understandable that people may have forgotten about him. But he really did contribute to the music world in profound way. Maybe I'm overstating things because I love the Beatles.

I love God Only Knows and John Legend and Cynthia Errivo did a lovely job.

We were reminded that on the recent PBS short series "Soundbreaking"

So this was Adele's night, eh? Well, I'll accept that. Kinda wanted Sturgill to win AOTY, but I'm fine with Adele winning it, I guess. She said she doesn't love her dad, but she loves her manager like she would love her dad. Have I said I love Adele? And it was sweet of her to shoutout Beyonce, but yeah. After that performance, I'm kinda off Beyonce for the year. Go on and have your chirrun, Bouncy. We good.

• Love 14

Okay as my tweets show I am not a Beyoncé fan but I did watch the Lemonade album on HBO and she did take the listener on a journey from anger to forgiveness and I think it should have won best album because of that. It wasn't just a collection of tracks. Sure it took like 75 writers to take us on that journey, but that is what it is.

This was fun!  Thanks for another good time everyone!!

I thought I was the only one who would find this event cynical and snarkworthy and occasionally okay, but then I found a bunch of smartasses like you to endure it with. (Sniff) Thank you.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 11

Let the RAGE begin - Beyhive is about to go OFF! Clean sweep for Adele. She won every category she was nominated in. I know this will be divisive but frankly I thought both were deserving. I am sad for Beyonce because I think she put her heart and soul into Lemonade and really worked hard on it. 

However, I think 25 was almost underrated by many. And okay, I am thrilled because SUCK on that Swift, you're no longer the special snowflake with two AOTY Grammy awards.

I know she was sincere, but Adele was doing her best to make sure he didn't jump out from somewhere. :)

Can you blame her?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Diana Berry said:

Thanks for the fun.  Next stop the Oscars.

Ha!  I read that as we have to stop the Oscars from happening. 

I love that Adele chastised the producers for cutting off the other guy and she let him finish.

Ken Ehrlich, you probably want to head into hiding now.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ha!  I read that as we have to stop the Oscars from happening. 

I love that Adele chastised the producers for cutting off the other guy and she let him finish.

Ken Ehrlich, you probably want to head into hiding now.

LoL. Well that might not be such a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Okay as my tweets show I am not a Beyoncé fan but I did watch the Lemonade album on HBO and she did take the listener on a journey from anger to forgiveness and I think it should have won best album because of that. It wasn't just a collection of tracks. Sure it took like 75 writers to take us on that journey, but that is what it is.

I thought I was the only one who would find this event cynical and snarkworthy and occasionally okay, but then I found a bunch of smartasses like you to endure it with. (Sniff) Thank you.

Our pleasure 

• Love 4

I thought Lemonade was quite deserving of the award -- if it had won -- because Beyonce outdid herself artistically. However, there are three criticisms I'd give it (and I'm guessing I've said these before, so...)

1. So much of Beyonce's success is Because Beyonce. I said before that if Lemonade was made by Jazmine Sullivan, we wouldn't be talking about it. That's not really a knock on the album, but star power can be a gift and a curse.

2. Beyonce's not good at subtlety (as tonight's performance demonstrated). She kind of indulges in every emotion to where none of it quite seems sincere. It's always a bit of play-acting.

3. I think only a third of Lemonade was actually compelling. Hold Up, Don't Hurt Yourself, Sorry, and 6 Inch Heels are some of her best songs period. The rest of them work of a piece, visually speaking. But I wasn't moved by the album in and of itself.

• Love 9

I love and adore Adele, but when she says she doesn't deserve AOTY, that's a slap in the face to all the people onstage with her who worked hard to create 25.  Enough with everyone bowing down to Beyoncé. For ROTY it was a classy movie for Adele to compliment Beyoncé, but the sacrificing of the AOTY is just too much.

I have been blessed to have seen so many of these performers in concert, but I am particularly remembering seeing George Michael at the Garden, maybe 25 years ago???? I saw Prince there, too. I've seen Bruno in concert, and thinking of those great performances, I definitely feel that Bruno's tribute to Prince was everything it should be. Adele's tribute to George, not so much. I do like that she started over, and I know in the UK Fastlove was a big hit, but I would have liked an upbeat song from GM's catalogue, just like they did for Prince.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Adele won the awards, Bruno won the night. 

Definitely. But I think the Grammy show loses a little every year with its odd collaboration  choices. IMO, viewers, at least those of us here, seem to be more confused about whose performing than enjoying the performance.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Let the RAGE begin - Beyhive is about to go OFF! Clean sweep for Adele. She won every category she was nominated in. I know this will be divisive but frankly I thought both were deserving. I am sad for Beyonce because I think she put her heart and soul into this one and really worked but 25 was in my opinion an underrated album by many.

I know very, very, very little about the music industry (is it still called the music industry?).  So, of course, here is my solution:)!  I don't know how or why eligibility deadlines are as they are, but I feel like they need to be adjusted.  Adele should have won all of these awards at last year's Grammys.  Beyonce deserved the awards at this year's Grammys.  I'm not sure how there is the overlap.  Perhaps because the Grammys aren't that important to artists? I mean, for the Oscars, we see movies released for like 3 days before the deadline to make a certain year (I actually thought that was what Adele was doing with her timing last year).....they've figure out that schedule.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! They could give us better music then.

This Katy Perry performance is pretty boring. That said I think she looks good as a blonde.

She's actually a natural blonde.

Tina Knowles looks like a Disney villain. That is all.

Demi Lovato was dressed as 70's era Cher in a glittery bathrobe during the Bee Gees tribute and that IS the look.

I was SO happy to see my man Dwight Yoakam tonight! And Sturgill proved he belongs on bigger and better stages. 

• Love 3

I agree the eligibility requirements should change a bit given how albums are released these days, but I think it's the way it is because of the period of time artists need to effectively campaign for their award. Also, as far as Beyonce is concerned, she's recently been a recipient of the same thing that just happened with Adele. Meaning, she won a Grammy for "Drunk in Love" a full year after it came out (she'd even performed it at the Grammys the prior year). That's just how it works out sometimes. It was actually more a travesty that Rihanna wasn't nominated in the category than Adele winning it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Am I suppose to know who the girl who is performing with Alicia Keys is? She looks like a lost Kardashian sister and she sounds awful, especially next to Alicia.

Country singer Maren Morris. She actually has a very good voice. 

• Love 2

I absolutely love Adele so I'm very happy that she won in every category she was nominated for. 25 was a great album and I think it deserved all of the accolades.

Adele's acceptance speech for AOTY was such a departure from last year since Taylor Swiff just had to let everyone know that she was the first woman to ever win AOTY twice. Well, Adele has that same honor now too and she accepted it with such humility while acknowledging Beyoncé. 

Bruno Mars is just awesome. That guy continues to surprise me with his talent every time I see him perform. 

I enjoyed the Bee Gees tribute, but I wish someone had come out and sing "More Than a Woman." That's my favorite song of theirs.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Yes where is Taylor??  Not missing her but wondering.... 

I think after the whole Hiddleswift/Kanyegate debacle, she has rightly scaled back a lot of her public appearances/social media posts as a way to try to repair her tarnished public image. And last year was the first time since her debut album in 2006 that she hasn't released a new album; they usually come out every two years.

That said, every once in awhile the thirst bucket side of her will win, and she'll emerge from hiding (her new single with Zayn for Fifty Shades Darker, her new channel).

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

The one place you'll see Prince at the START of the "remember the dead" segment. 

Wasn't expecting Sir George Martin to get the pimp spot. 

There is part of me that still wishes Merle Haggard got a tribute too, but since he died a few days after the ACMs last year, he might get a good tribute from them this year. (The ACMs have always been considered the "West Coast" equivalent of the CMAs, anyway, and Merle was certainly that.)

• Love 1

I've never "watched" an awards show with PTV before so this was really fun! Thoroughly enjoyed the running commentary and wit and snark. I  almost didn't watch tonight because I was concerned  that the show would be highjacked by a bunch of political speeches -- but it wasn't -- it was about the music. 

Too much bowing down to Beyoncé though. I thought Adele overdid the "I'm not worthy...". Yes, you are!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, UYI said:

She's actually a natural blonde.

Tina Knowles looks like a Disney villain. That is all.

Demi Lovato was dressed as 70's era Cher in a glittery bathrobe during the Bee Gees tribute and that IS the look.

I was SO happy to see my man Dwight Yoakam tonight! And Sturgill proved he belongs on bigger and better stages. 

Yes about Demi. Watching that, I really want her to play Cher in a biopic. 

• Love 1

I love and adore Adele, but when she says she doesn't deserve AOTY, that's a slap in the face to all the people onstage with her who worked hard to create 25.  Enough with everyone bowing down to Beyoncé. 

I agree. Adele may have an Ikea shelving unit full of Grammys, but all those hard-working people standing behind her might not. They won the Grammy and she's handing it off to somebody else? Instead of doing that, she could have let a few of those people say a few words. 

She kept saying "Hi"....what happened to "Hello"?

I don't know how or why eligibility deadlines are as they are, but I feel like they need to be adjusted. 

I think the music industry sends in their votes using Pony Express. The eligibility period is October 1st to September 30th. It takes them forever to winnow down to the winners. The movie industry uses the calendar year (well, the movie must be out at least a week in a few major markets, so the cut-off is Christmas Day) and they have their award shows in Jan/Feb because they apparently have figured out how to send in and tally votes faster.

9 hours ago, Steph619 said:

Adele's acceptance speech for AOTY was such a departure from last year since Taylor Swiff just had to let everyone know that she was the first woman to ever win AOTY twice. Well, Adele has that same honor now too and she accepted it with such humility while acknowledging Beyoncé. 

Actually, no - Adele is the second woman to win AOTY twice, Swift will always be the first to accomplish that.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, double-elvis said:

I'm pretty sure Mr. Tony's favorite is Don't Worry Baby.

10 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Damn.  Did I get that wrong?  

I blame the wine.  And La Cheeserie!!

May I just say that I love that there are other Littles here!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Arkay said:

I love and adore Adele, but when she says she doesn't deserve AOTY, that's a slap in the face to all the people onstage with her who worked hard to create 25.  Enough with everyone bowing down to Beyoncé. For ROTY it was a classy movie for Adele to compliment Beyoncé, but the sacrificing of the AOTY is just too much.

Disagree. If Adele feels that Lemonade was the best album of the year, why shouldn't she say so? Adele has thanked those people and they're all still going to get Grammys in the mail. If Adele doesn't want hers that doesn't impact anyone else on the team and I'm not entirely convinced Adele won't keep the one getting mailed to her since she broke the plastic prop in half so the and Beyoncé could share. 

Besides, by Adele actually saying something she's highlighted an issue which has been whispered and talked about for a few years now and that's the fact that the Grammys almost always find a way to favour white artists in the big three categories.

When you look at some of the most influential artists in modern music, it's amazing how few of the Black artists are celebrated in AOTY, SOTY and ROTY. The last time a Black woman won AOTY was Lauryn Hill 18 years ago and since then artists like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Alicia Keys. Mary J Blige and Missy Elliott have been musical trailblazers. In the past 20 years AOTY has gone to Black artists all of four times despite Black artists being key innovators in music. (And I'm not looking to downplay the impact of Ray Charles or Herbie Hancock but neither is making contemporary music and they account for half of the total) Aside from the women I've mentioned Kayne, Kendrick Lamar, Usher, Gnarls Barkley, Ne-Yo, Black Eyed Peas (I hate them but I can't pretend Will.i.am hasn't had a huge influence on music) Lil Wayne, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Drake and Pharrell Williams have all been denied AOTY despite being some of the most important contemporary artists. What would modern music sound like without Pharrell? And I'm not joking about that; think honestly about his influence as a musician and producer and try to picture modern music without him. I can't do it. I can't imagine the current scene without Beyoncé or Rihanna, or Kanye or Jay Z and the influence they've had on other artists and yet somehow their albums (and I need to specify that because Pharrell has been rewarded for producing white artists) are never good enough to take the most prestigious award of the night. That's bullshit.

And these same patters are there for ROTY and SOTY. Pharrell shared ROTY one with Daft Punk for Get Lucky, Ray Charles got one with Norah Jones and then you've got to go back to 1996 and Kiss from a Rose by Seal to find one a Black artist won outright without sharing it. And in that time Beyoncé, Drake, Rihanna, The Weeknd, D'Angelo, Frank Ocean, Cee Lo Green, Jay Z, Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, Kanye West, Usher, OutKast, Alicia Keys, TLC and a pile more have been paid dust despite creating influential, powerful and popular music.

SOTY does a little bit better but not much. Janelle Monae picked up one as part of a feature on We Are Young in 2013. Beyoncé did get love for Single Ladies in 2010. Luther Vandross got one in 2004 for Dance With My Father and Alicia Keys got one for Fallin but its tragic that this is better.

On those big three categories, Jay Z, Kanye, Rihanna, Usher, Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, Mary J Blige, Ne-Yo, Will.i.am, Cee Lo Green, D'Angelo, Missy Elliott and Drake have never won a single one of the big three Grammy awards. That is not reflective of the state of modern music. That is not reflective of influence, or trend setting or ingenuity, or merit. What it does reflect is the idea that Black artists can be rewarded in their lane of Urban/Hip-Hop/R&B and Gospel but when it comes time to compete in general categories Black artists and Black music need to be sooo much better than white artists to even have a chance. And if you doubt me remember that Ed Sheeran has a Grammy for Thinking Out Loud while Kendrick couldn't win for Alright. Or Need You Now is, according to the Grammy Recording Academy a better Record than Cee Lo's Fuck You or Jay Z and Alicia's Empire State of Mind.

Adele speaking out just highlights this clear problem. She asked in the press room after "What does Beyoncé have to do to win one of these awards?" and it looks more and more like the answer is be white. I've been reading stuff this morning suggesting that 25 won because it was the bigger commercial success. And sure, that could have influenced voters. But two years ago when Beck won over Beyoncé's self-titled, then the excuse was the Grammys were about artistic merit and not commercial success. It's funny how whatever the reason is, Beyoncé loses.

Adele didn't take the win; she called out the fact that somehow Beyoncé was denied, again. She didn't call it racism, but the whisper that's been floating around for years was there again. Good for her. The 10 producers behind her aren't going to not get a Grammy because of something Adele said in a speech.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Actually, no - Adele is the second woman to win AOTY twice, Swift will always be the first to accomplish that.

Of course, Taylor Swift will always be the first to accomplish that. I'm not taking that away from her. I was simply just stating that Adele now has the same honor of being a female artist who's won album of the year twice as well.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I loved seeing Daft Punk too! Granted they just stood there for the most part and looked cool, but still. I appreciate any Daft Punk sightings lol.

12 hours ago, double-elvis said:

I'm pretty sure Mr. Tony's favorite is Don't Worry Baby.

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

May I just say that I love that there are other Littles here!

So yeah, I went and checked the Old Guy Radio archives and I'm wrong.  Sigh...   On the plus side (I guess), wait till you hear Mr. Tony's rant about the show.  He couldn't sound older and more out of touch...  

On a more positive note, Prince's music begins streaming today - and it's on Amazon Prime.  I'm, again, absurdly happy!

16 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Oh dear Kanye must be in hysterics.  

I'm so glad he isn't there to act a fool. He is boycotting to him, but to me it is a very good thing.

• Love 1