Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Where's The Black Lady?

thewhiteowl

"Fitz hates the vice president."

"We all hate the vice president."

Bwahahahahahaha!

I knew she was in the U. S.

And why all the flashbacks to things that happened eight minutes before? Do they think our attention spans are that short?

• Love 4

I wanted to like this episode.  I went into this thinking it would be soapy goodness.  But its verging from preposterous into stupid.  I guess there is no other way they could have had this happen but I hate the coup aspect because it will prolong the stupid.  I really dread the whole lets sell Olivia to the highest bidder.  Its not even a race or gender implications thing.  I just can't take the stupid of it all.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

I can't with Huck anymore. He needs to be put down, the sooner the better. That shit he did to Lizzie is so fucked up, And we are just supposed to treat it as business as usual at OPA. Just that silly Huck and his bag of torture tools. Fuck that shit. 

And yet more worshiping at the Olivia shrine. It helps her reputation as the best there is when everyone she goes up against, particularly these kidnappers, are a pack of disorganized idiots. Olivia would have a tougher time being kidnapped by The Three Stooges. 

• Love 12

I  still like this show. I really want to still like this coz I really like Olivia. But. I don't know where they are going with this story.I really wish they would have just let her escape & rescue herself like a boss. Now that stoyline I can get with.

• Love 3

I really dread the whole lets sell Olivia to the highest bidder.  Its not even a race or gender implications thing.  I just can't take the stupid of it all.

You're right--but to me, it's both inane and offensive at the same time. I find the entire plot of a woman of color being "sold" to avoid (or bring about) war, famine, pestilence, and plague utterly ridiculous.

Apparently, Olivia isn't the only one with magic beans. So Mellie has the good good as well. Andrew was an idiot to fall for her romp, but she managed to do what her flaccid husband couldn't.

I keep wondering, "what would Eli do?" Looks like next week we will see Mama Pope in all her orange jumpsuit glory. On preview, Khandi's face looks....different.

Damn. Huck is not to be trifled with. The RNC head can never wear a backless dress again...

• Love 4

I knew the "glass" of water meant something and it wasn't just a Marco Rubio moment. No way the kidnapper/torturer hands over a glass. it would have been a bottle of Poland Spring from a Costco case.

Can't stand Cyrus. Didn't miss him at all last week. This show is known for scenery chewing but he takes the cake.

• Love 1

So this is what I think...

The Coup.  I hate the coup.  Hate it.  There is one trope that I can never forgive and its the one where a character gets bad news but must never speak of it.  They must be stoic and alone because of contrived circumstances like coups where everyone is suspect and there are listening devices everywhere.  It kills emotional payoff, I don't care how good the actor is.  It always makes me think that the writers have thrown out several drafts and finally realized they suck and pretend that the actor portraying emotion with no words is artistic.  Don't get me wrong, Fitz does wrecked really well.  Really well.  But I was waiting for the emotional payoff and I only get that through actual character interaction not hushed conversations and handwritten notes.

Mellie. So Mellie convinced Fitz to go to war, why?  Not to save Olivia.  Saving Fitz from wallowing in inevitable guilt is a non-starter as a motivation because 30 soldiers dying a day or letting Olivia die will both send him spiraling.  I can't come up with much of a reason except to fake out viewers into thinking Mellie was in on the plot with Andrew only to seduce his phone out of him.  I hate when viewer manipulation is the driving force of actions.

David.  David Rosen's reaction to Olivia being in danger and helping Jake save her was just odd.  You save the big white hat stuff for when Olivia is safe.

Huck and Quinn.  So we never get to see them find out Olivia is gone.  They are in work mode by the time we see them.  Saves the writers from having to figure that out. No, they can just jump to bag of torture implements.  I like to pretend that we'll get some of the old Huck and Olivia relationship back through this.  Leave me my fantasies, its all I have since Quinn went all assassin and hooked up with Huck and became unrecognizable to me.

Abby.  I feel really bad for Abby.  Ex-Gladiator and she is the only one that no one bothered to tell Olivia was taken.  I hope someday Olivia tells her that when she was at her worst it was Abby she conjured in her mind to convince her to fight and not give up.

Andrew.  There is no way Andrew is in charge of this.  Its ridiculous.  We're going to get saddled with another shadowy organization pulling the strings of the US government.

Selling Olivia.  So Olivia is going to go for billions of dollars. No one thinks that at some point Fitz will also realize that they'll never let her go and a bullet in the head might be kinder.  I can see why she tried it, it leaves bread crumbs (although she'd be free if she hadn't suggested it).  But why would everyone else think it would work?

• Love 2

The freaking president of the United States started a war. 

that involves millions of people. 

for one person. 

and thought that would be the end of it?

Okay there. 

I would have had respect for Fitz if he said no. And then Olivia finds a way to ...have herself be sold. 
I can't believe i wrote that. 

• Love 4

I agree with those who are appalled by her being auctioned off. I don't care if she knew that Huck would find a way to track her, it's disgusting.

I can't believe that I tuned in again. And what was that about Cyrus being conned into marrying a sex-worker? I felt like I was watching a daytime soap, in which you hear about five ludicrous things in the first few minutes.

• Love 4

I just keep thinking that if Aaron Sorkin had written this shit, it would be seen as him getting off on disempowering and degrading women, with bonus racial coding, and it would be the same show.

• Love 6

The freaking president of the United States started a war.

that involves millions of people.

for one person.

and thought that would be the end of it?

Okay there.

I would have had respect for Fitz if he said no. And then Olivia finds a way to ...have herself be sold.

I can't believe i wrote that.

I was disgusted that he didn't 25th Amendment himself if he couldn't do the right thing (not sure I understand Mellie's talking him into it), but that would have been even worse since the VP is both the problem and next in line.

This is an interesting change of formula for the show - I don't quite dislike it as much as I'd expect (I enjoy the normal case of the week formula with ongoing arcs). I don't think I'm offended by Olivia, uh, getting herself sold, since she's dead if she does nothing and this at least rolls the dice again. The timing was certainly unfortunate. Hopefully now Fitz can at least undo the whole war thing, since Olivia is out of "their" control. (Still just appalled he caved to their demands, but trying to give him credit for not considering it until Mellie pushed him to.)

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 3

I also laughed when I saw the replacement kidnapping support staff pour water into a heavy glass. Like breakfast service at the Four Seasons.

No way Portia did not get guards and a gun for Huck's return. Seriously, the woman is a Republican!

Mellie looked great!

• Love 3

(Still just appalled he caved to their demands, but trying to give him credit for not considering it until Mellie pushed him to.)

Still think Millie talking him into it was only to set up the twist; but if it wasn't then the only remaining explanation is that Mellie knew Fitz was going to cave and declare war despite his words and made sure he had her to blame because they are a team or that's what 1st Ladies do or whatever.

Edited by ParadoxLost

I love that Marla Gibbs cracked the case, and I loved Abby's patterned dress. (I tweeted asking about where I could find one but came up empty.) The rest I need to marinate on.

Oh! And I forgot that Cyrus was marrying that prostitute.

^^^ I know KW was trying to convey fear and anger at the same time, but her snacting (sneering while acting) when reading the ransom note was on full display last night. When an actor's facial tics draw you out of the scene, that's when a director needs to step in. 

• Love 9

This show is completely unrecognizable to me now and not even close to being the show that got me hook, line and sinker.

When Fitz was reflecting back on his moments with Olivia (touching hands on the plane, almost kissing outside the campaign room, etc.) I was also reflecting back.  Reflecting back to when this show was watchable.  And when it was still Scandal.  Because I don't know what this shit show is now.  But it sure as hell isn't the show I signed up for.  It's all very Homeland and The Americans to me now.  And if I wanted to watch Homeland or The Americans,  I'd be watching them already.

Bye Scandal.  I hardly knew ye.

• Love 9

The past two week's episodes combined are the series' "jumping the shark" moment for me.  I'm now fully prepared for a future episode where Olivia has to "Do the 'Liv" in a dance contest at Arnold's diner to save Cyrus from the clutches of his gigolo husband.

• Love 10

I just can't help thinking, though, that at least man-hooker has some professional experience in noticing that other people have needs, so he'd probably be a better father to the kid than Cyrus is.

• Love 3
The Coup.  I hate the coup.  Hate it.  There is one trope that I can never forgive and its the one where a character gets bad news but must never speak of it.  They must be stoic and alone because of contrived circumstances like coups where everyone is suspect and there are listening devices everywhere.

ICAM. How does the show come back from this? When Olivia returns will Fitz fire the entire Secret Service and all the WH staff because he doesn't know who he can trust? Would he have the FBI polygraph everyone to try to determine who the traitors were? Whatever, that would be a huge distraction for the President to be working and living somewhere where he doesn't feel safe. The American people if not the entire free world count on the president being able to lead without worrying that he's going to get the Julius Caesar treatment.

Selling Olivia.  So Olivia is going to go for billions of dollars.

Which IMO really puts a fine point on the notion of her being the president's whore. If Fitz has any respect for her at all he won't a pay a single dime and if he does, Olivia should finally be done with him. I don't know how she could ever live down having a price tag stuck to her forehead but Olivia would probably find some way to own it so she could save face publicly.

I just keep thinking that if Aaron Sorkin had written this shit, it would be seen as him getting off on disempowering and degrading women, with bonus racial coding, and it would be the same show.

That's been the problem with this show all along, IMO. Yet SR not only gets a pass she gets lauded for it because at least there's a primetime show with a Black female as the lead. The perpetual degradation of Olivia by White men is the price that has to paid, presumably.

• Love 6

That's been the problem with this show all along, IMO. Yet SR not only gets a pass she gets lauded for it because at least there's a primetime show with a Black female as the lead. The perpetual degradation of Olivia by White men is the price that has to paid, presumably.

And not just white men, either. Her relationship with her father is equally as dub- to non-con as her relationship with Fitz.

• Love 4

I, too, am completely confounded by the 'coup'. How can so many people vetted and hired and sworn to protect and serve the president be so easily swayed by... who, actually? The VP? How did that just *happen*? Just a second ago everyone loved, revered and respected this President and now? Um.. WHY does the White House staff and Secret Service all agree that we should go to war with West Angola when it seems perfectly clear to everyone else that it's a bad idea? What could the VP possibly have said to the 15-100 people who are apparently backing his mutiny to get them to change what was their oath to the President? I just... WHAT?

• Love 14

I spent time feeling so bad for Marla Gibbs. That whole "Where's the black lady?" business made her seem like she was suffering from Alzheimer's or something. And it was absolutely so contrived.

But then, I was watching Scandal.

Not to  mention, the lady has no idea what Olivia's name even is but she knows exactly where she works -??  Really?? She was able to track down Olivia Pope and Associates without putting it togther that "the black lady" IS Olivia Pope??

• Love 11

I really miss case of the week Scandal. This show has gotten so bad with all the B613 etc.. stuff.

I really miss case of the week Scandal. This show has gotten so bad with all the B613 etc.. stuff.

• Love 4

Why was Olivia smiling on the plane?  Because this entire plotline is her idea.  Fed up with Daddy and Momma Pope, spineless Fitz, conniving Mellie, David, Cyrus, Andrew, et al, she has cobbled together a plan to get Fitz in a bidding war with Wazzupitstan or some other anti-American spot on the map, when in reality the proceeds will go into her own offshore bank account.  The last scene will be her punting the ubiquitous cell phone off the beach and into the warm, blue-green water. 

• Love 2

The recap says, "Tom claims that his crime -- killing Fitz's son Jerry -- was the lesser of two evils, since his other option was to kill Fitz. Wasn't there a third option: don't kill anyone?"

Actually, I think the other evil was not killing Fitz, but allowing Fitz to lose, and the country thus being damaged by not having the GREATNESS that is Fitz as Commander in Chief for four more years.

The plot was to up Fitz's sympathy factor to allow him to beat out Sally.

I've always hated Huck and his torture methods. However, I must hate Lizzie more because I laughed.  But my goodness, he was creepy threatening to kill her daughter.

I liked Liv trying to take back control. 

I hated the fact that Fitz went to war for her.  No. No. No.  Also, what was with Andrew suddenly controlling the White House and the staff. The Secret Service threatening the POTUS? Are you kidding?  Has Andrew convinced them that Fitz is an alcoholic, which based on the hand tremors wouldn't be hard to believe.

In addition to all the holes that others have posted about, how exactly does the auction of Olivia remain a secret?

Are viewers to believe that ISIS, Putin or Kim Jong-Un wouldn't publicize the purchase of the President of the United States' whore? I understand this is fiction and those men are real, but you get my drift. The CIA wouldn't pick up chatter about the auction, but Huck does?

I know it's a shark jump, but oddly, I can't turn away yet. I am just so curious t see how Shonda, et al tries to resolve this. How can Olivia ever go back to being a fixer or command any respect professionally after literally being up for auction and outed as Fitz's concubine? What will be the explanation to the widows and families of the dead and injured veterans from this war? Fix it Jesus.

• Love 1
Why was Olivia smiling on the plane?  Because this entire plotline is her idea.  Fed up with Daddy and Momma Pope, spineless Fitz, conniving Mellie, David, Cyrus, Andrew, et al, she has cobbled together a plan to get Fitz in a bidding war with Wazzupitstan or some other anti-American spot on the map, when in reality the proceeds will go into her own offshore bank account.  The last scene will be her punting the ubiquitous cell phone off the beach and into the warm, blue-green water.

I'd be unbelievably excited and impressed if this was the end game. Shonda, are you reading this? Please lord, make it so.

• Love 2

I just can't help thinking, though, that at least man-hooker has some professional experience in noticing that other people have needs, so he'd probably be a better father to the kid than Cyrus is.

Paging Doctor Julia to the burn unit! Lol! ;)

....but,yeah. This. Poor kid.

I get the feeling the show wanted us to really remember that this is a black lady being put up for sale.  Like, seriously show?!?  Did you think we wouldn't notice?

Heh, I spent most of the show alternating between being disgusted by the idea of POTUS sacrificing lots of American lives for one, an African-American woman being sold by a white man in the 21st century, and the constant references to Olivia as "the Black lady.". Black ladies have names, MARLA.

It's sad when Huck torturing a woman doesn't even make the list of most offensive things in an episode.

• Love 9
It's sad when Huck torturing a woman doesn't even make the list of most offensive things in an episode.

I've been a long time apologist for this show and was willing to overlook Huck's shenanigans but this was over the top for me.  Lizzie had nothing to do with the kidnapping and was horrified to learn of it.  While not quite an innocent bystander it is really disgusting that the writers see Huck torturing her as an acceptable means of finding out where Liv is.  That was the first thing that offended me.  Second was writing that the President would bow to blackmail and send US men and women to their deaths to get his girlfriend back.  We all know Fitz is weak and amoral, but this is treasonous.  And this doesn't even touch the fact that the VP and apparently everyone who steps foot in the WH, including the First Lady, is evil.  (Shonda has been watching too much House of Cards.)  Third offensive plotpoint is the selling of a woman (black or white) to the highest bidder.  If they don't wrap this story up quickly (like next week) I'll walk away.  

• Love 2

I may have already walked--have only seen bits and may pass On Demand--Fitz is accepting casualties to save Olivia? That's Cheney/Halliburton-level evil. He was a POS before this, how is his character at all redeemable now? How is this show?

• Love 3

This show is completely unrecognizable to me now and not even close to being the show that got me hook, line and sinker.

I'm beginning to agree.  This story arc is so idiotic that it's almost unwatchable.  So let me get this straight.  Somehow, the entire Secret Service Presidential detail, and who knows how many White House staffers are part of this war cabal?  Why?  The Secret Service angle is so patently absurd that it shatters the show's creditability.  There is no way in hell that something like that happens.  A rogue agent like Tom, who is an embedded V613 operative is one thing but the entire detail?  Give me a break.  Even the thought of Fitz sending countless American troops to their deaths in a pointless war in a dink water nation to save his precious Olivia is insane.  When Fitz said to Mellie that he was going to kill Olivia by not going to war, he was being true to his oath of office and his role as Commander in Chief.  Why would he pay any attention to anything that Mellie had to say on the matter?  Fitz should have remembered the immortal words of Mr. Spock, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"  Get that man some Star Trek DVDs.  The writers have created a storyline that is so implausible that their only way out of it is to up the ante on the "drama" by adding more absurdities to it.   I love this show but right now it has definitely jumped the shark.  Please make next week's show the conclusion of this nonsense.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 5