Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, ketose said:

I don't have TLC, but I have Hulu. They currently have seasons 1&2 of My 600 lb. Life. Season 1 has the documentary style episodes where they follow someone for years and don't immediately start with a bathing scene. 

The first four, filmed over many years, were fascinating.  And why I became hooked.  I believe it was during the WATN of Ashley1,  that Dr. Now mentioned they needed to do a follow up on her because she was part of the initial research in his study of bariatric surgery on the 600 plus patients.

As the now well over a decade ago surgery has evolved ... from gastric bypass with the rapid weight loss v gastric sleeve with slower loss, I would love to read a research paper on which is more effective or ... or are the truly morbidly obese a bit of a lost cause.   All the TLC filming and drama aside.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Season 10 start 10 November.    Much sooner than usual.   Hopefully, more episodes that the last short season. 

What a great birthday present for you mmecorday!     I suspect there will be a few leftovers from the end of last season, they've done that for the last few seasons.    They just can't finish all of them in time for airing.       I'm hoping it's a longer season, with some success stories.   I always hope that they'll be a success, but so often they aren't.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, mmecorday said:

@TazDevil, my birthday is on November 10th, same day as the debut of the new season. Sorry for the confusion! Happy belated birthday to you! I might be at the beach on my birthday because the hotel rates are super cheap and I really want a nice seafood dinner.

OH... DUH!!!!  I guess I was so excited that the news of the new season came out on my birthday that I didn't comprehend that the new season STARTS on your birthday.  😅🤣🤣

• Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, mmecorday said:

@TazDevil, my birthday is on November 10th, same day as the debut of the new season. Sorry for the confusion! Happy belated birthday to you! I might be at the beach on my birthday because the hotel rates are super cheap and I really want a nice seafood dinner.

Might I suggest you contact Tommy's fiancee and request her tetrazzini etouffee recipe and just add some shrimp.  Problem solved!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

What does it say about me that I got so excited when I saw that @PrincessPurrsALot put up new threads for the new episode?

I was watching the episode about Joe this morning. If you don't remember him, he's the guy who pulled the towel rack off the wall when he emerged from his shower. He's also the guy who was shocked when the nutritionist said that most of the food in his fridge was unhealthy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Joe's also the one who met some woman online, moved in with her, her mother (at the mother's house), and the woman's little child, did a go fund me for his wedding.    He also told his mother (who housed and fed him for years) that he couldn't afford to bring her to the wedding (some other relative did).   Then, he divorced, moved away, and was doing pretty well last I heard.  

(I hope I have the right poundticipant). 

• Useful 1

You know, Pounders, on the positive side, at least he didn't shit himself en route. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a set a new low for poundticipant expectations.  Remember when it used to be 'but at least he/she wears real clothes/shoes'? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Am I the only person who’s just sick and tired of the poorly written, stilted, repetitive script the poundticipants (try to) read as if it’s actually what they’re thinking and experiencing? It’s so obvious that the same person writes for the poundticipants and even Dr. Now, but the writing isn’t how people actually talk. Who ends a sentence with, “…like I need”?

• Love 5

Who was, or who all were, participants who flew to Houston?  I remember someone being pushed through the airport on a luggage cart.
And didn't someone get the whole back row of seats?
This is for a discussion on 1,000 Lb Sisters.  Tammy the really big one, wants to go to Las Vegas to meet her online boyfriend, and people were saying she probably couldn't fly, but some of us figured she could.
And diapers were involved, weren't they?
Thanks!

8 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Who was, or who all were, participants who flew to Houston?  I remember someone being pushed through the airport on a luggage cart.
And didn't someone get the whole back row of seats?
This is for a discussion on 1,000 Lb Sisters.  Tammy the really big one, wants to go to Las Vegas to meet her online boyfriend, and people were saying she probably couldn't fly, but some of us figured she could.
And diapers were involved, weren't they?
Thanks!

Amber Rachdi was the one on the luggage cart, the foot rest on her “specially made” wheelchair broke.  Photos are available online.  Not sure about the other stuff!

• Love 1

My guess is all of the ones who fly probably wear diapers.     Maja flew, she fell out of her rental car at the airport.    Janine flew from Washington state down, but it took two tries before she actually got on the plane and stayed.   Paul flew at least twice on the recent show.     Was it Annjeannette who flew down from Oregon, and always had the polka dot blankets?   I think Erica from California flew, she was on an original show, plus may two followups, and she flew and shipped her car by commercial carrier at least once.   

I know there were a lot of others who flew instead of take the long drive.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is all of the ones who fly probably wear diapers.     Maja flew, she fell out of her rental car at the airport.    Janine flew from Washington state down, but it took two tries before she actually got on the plane and stayed.   Paul flew at least twice on the recent show.     Was it Annjeannette who flew down from Oregon, and always had the polka dot blankets?   I think Erica from California flew, she was on an original show, plus may two followups, and she flew and shipped her car by commercial carrier at least once.   

I know there were a lot of others who flew instead of take the long drive.  

I can’t remember the name, but one blonde girl, maybe two or three seasons ago, flew along with her boyfriend. She had to go to the bathroom after the flight and didn’t make it (despite airport employees pushing her in a wheelchair). I cannot confirm if it was a Lacey accident requiring new pants. 

• Love 1

I remember the wet pants episode, when she went in the bathroom, her boyfriend sat in the wheelchair to wait for, and we suspected he might not have cleaned the seat first.     I think that was Maja and Christian (Chrushun as she pronounced it).   They had that epic break up fight in Dr. Now's exam room.    

• Love 5

Currently watching the “Where Are They Now” mini marathon and will say the success stories are so much more entertaining and really is what drew me into the show originally. I know we all love a train wreck but with the current state of the world it is comforting and inspiring to see the patients who have succeeded. Brings some hope. Just my two cents:) Happy and Healthy New Year everyone. 

• Love 7

I just got a notification about a post on John & Lonnie's episode thread (January 2020) which led me to look up Lonnie's instagram, and holy cow...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV3rJDmlsuj/

Can't find much on John (he has social media but no recent updates) but Lonnie did have a recentish picture and he looks like he's doing pretty well (still bigger than Lonnie but much smaller than he was). Now hoping for a where are they now episode.

• Love 4

The show may be scripted to a degree or even more than that, but the weight of the participants is not fake. I adore these people. I empathize with their struggles. I understand why they love to eat all day. I admire their bravery in that they appear on the show as they are, showing all parts of themselves and revealing their personal stories.

I am binge watching this show and somehow never watched if before a few weeks ago. This puts the real in reality tv. I am fascinated and I am so happy many of them had surgery that got them to a place where they could live a "normal" life. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 5
On 12/31/2021 at 11:19 AM, ams1001 said:

just got a notification about a post on John & Lonnie's episode thread (January 2020) which led me to look up Lonnie's instagram, and holy cow...

I too received a notification about my post re:  Lonnie's FB statement of gratitude for viewers demonstrating love and encouragement on his page.  I think this support has led to his success.  He has completely moved past his mother's homophobia and accepts himself.

This is one of the best successes of this show.  It wasn't only due to Dr. Now, but also due to the response of viewers!

P.S.  Thanks ams1001 for the recent Instagram from Lonnie.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Love 6

I have a question that I’ve wondered about for ages. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

When they show these 600lb folks working out with a personal trainer, do the trainers have expertise in exercise for the morbidly obese? How does the trainer know how far to push them?  In other words, how would the trainer know how much huffing, puffing and sweating is just good exertion and when is it bordering on a crisis?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JJ1 said:

I have a question that I’ve wondered about for ages. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

When they show these 600lb folks working out with a personal trainer, do the trainers have expertise in exercise for the morbidly obese? How does the trainer know how far to push them?  In other words, how would the trainer know how much huffing, puffing and sweating is just good exertion and when is it bordering on a crisis?

I've wondered the same thing. My experience with a personal trainer tells me the answer is yes. I wasn't anywhere close to morbidly obese, I just needed to shed 40 excess pounds, But my workouts definitely changed as I lost weight and gained strength and flexibility, and she would back off if she sensed that we were pushing too hard. The last thing a trainer wants is for a client to be injured or to hate working out.

I wish more of the poundticipants would take up swimming for exercise. It's much easier on your joints, and it's still a great workout. Aqua aerobics is one of my favorite workouts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

I wish more of the poundticipants would take up swimming for exercise. It's much easier on your joints, and it's still a great workout. Aqua aerobics is one of my favorite workouts. 

I love my water exercise classes. I usually go twice a week (indoor pool) and it’s the perfect balance of exercise and fun.

53 minutes ago, JJ1 said:

I love my water exercise classes. I usually go twice a week (indoor pool) and it’s the perfect balance of exercise and fun.

I try to go to aqua classes twice a week, and sometimes another day to swim laps. I broke my right ankle in multiple places many years ago and I've had a hip replaced. Water exercise is much easier for me. I also like walking/hiking when the weather's nice. 

My favorite exercise is cycling, but swimming is a close second.

8 hours ago, ShoePrincess said:

wasn't anywhere close to morbidly obese, I just needed to shed 40 excess pounds, 

Yea, but those last 40 lbs are the worst,  aren't they though?  Ugghhh...lol     I guess it's a lot easier to lose 40 lbs when you weigh 650.

I know all to well.  I have 40- 50 to lose myself.   And boy are they stubborn ☺️

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, suev3333 said:

Yea, but those last 40 lbs are the worst,  aren't they though?  Ugghhh...lol     I guess it's a lot easier to lose 40 lbs when you weigh 650.

I know all to well.  I have 40- 50 to lose myself.   And boy are they stubborn ☺️

It was a lot harder than packing them on. I knew hip replacement surgery was coming, and I thought that losing weight and getting stronger would help with recovery. I have done a little backsliding over the last 18 months (I'm looking at you Covid!), but I'm starting back with a trainer next week and I've booked a week at the fat farm to help me get back to my happy weight place.

Edited by ShoePrincess
  • Love 1

I'm guessing that last season, and this season, so far, are pretty typical for Dr. Now's practice with the 600 lb. patients.    I think a lot were dropped from filming before, and now they need to fill the episode numbers, so we see the Ryans, Margarets, and Ontreans, and others, who have no intention of doing anything to help themselves,

• Love 6

Am I the only person who’s just sick and tired of the poorly written, stilted, repetitive script the poundticipants (try to) read as if it’s actually what they’re thinking and experiencing? It’s so obvious that the same person writes for the poundticipants and even Dr. Now, but the writing isn’t how people actually talk. Who ends a sentence with, “…like I need”?

Not at all. The narration is just plain dull and sometimes you can't even understand what they're trying to say without closed captioning. "I know I'm making good progress." "I need a cheat day." "That's disappointing. I've been working so hard." "Dr. Now said I needed to lose 30 pounds in a month." "I'm planning on moving to Houston, but no one will help me." "I've been under a lot of stress lately." "We've been on the road and fast food is our only option." "By the time I was 8, I weighed 200 pounds." "I went to food." We hear these phrases over and over and over again. It's very telling that a high point of the show now is when someone soils themselves or a mattress flies off a trailer.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm guessing that last season, and this season, so far, are pretty typical for Dr. Now's practice with the 600 lb. patients.    I think a lot were dropped from filming before, and now they need to fill the episode numbers, so we see the Ryans, Margarets, and Ontreans, and others, who have no intention of doing anything to help themselves,

Yup.  I think the ones before were the cherry-picked 'good' ones (either because they were successful or because they are very entertaining.  Now we are seeing the 'typical' ones...   Wonder if they are the people driving down the low success rate for supermorbidly obese patients... if it's not so much that people who are bona fide successes gain weight back, it's people who managed a little bit of loss who give up and gain it all back... 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They reran the first episodes of Schenee, and Charity today, they were epic as always.   

OMG.. I saw some of that.. the scene "do you belive in god"?  If I was Dr Now I would have hung up on her.. bitch

• Love 4

I recently rewatched Brittini's show. Season 4, I think. She was very successful and had a great attitude. She suffered from severe depression but worked hard to address that and weight loss. She was an inspiration, a beautiful soul. And no family drama. She had a good marriage to a kind, supportive man. Are there no more inspiring stories? Are we left with train wreaks?

Quoting @Desert Rat from “Dolly’s Journey”-

I think that by 2020/2021 many individuals who would be the “inspiring story” may have started watching the show, researching, starting to reduce calories on their own and seeking local medical treatment for their obesity. At this point everyone knows how reality tv works- someone who has the emotional maturity, commitment, social support etc to deal with their obesity and not be a “train wreck” likely wouldn’t want to be on the show. I just think of the privacy issues alone. 

Also- although the USA is getting bigger and bigger, being this morbidly obese is still REALLY RARE. Unless you’re 6’5, it’s hard to be 600lbs and function as an independent adult in society. Most of us that struggle with obesity, still have to work for a living, take care of our families/pets, drive cars etc- it’s very hard to become that large even with a sedentary office job if you’re living independently. Lots of people are Obese Class I or II, but not the size of these participants. 

That’s probably why I think we are not seeing so many inspiring stories. Also the pandemic did effect filming and selection of participants I am sure. 

• Love 4

Even though there are a lot more failures, or people like Ryan and Ontrean, and others this season, who never even made an effort, I think this portrays a lot more realistic picture of the 600 lb. group who Dr. Now works with.     I bet there were a lot more where they stopped filming, or quit the program,  or never even considered for the show, and now they take anyone who will be filmed.     

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Quoting @Desert Rat from “Dolly’s Journey”-

I think that by 2020/2021 many individuals who would be the “inspiring story” may have started watching the show, researching, starting to reduce calories on their own and seeking local medical treatment for their obesity. At this point everyone knows how reality tv works- someone who has the emotional maturity, commitment, social support etc to deal with their obesity and not be a “train wreck” likely wouldn’t want to be on the show. I just think of the privacy issues alone. 

Also- although the USA is getting bigger and bigger, being this morbidly obese is still REALLY RARE. Unless you’re 6’5, it’s hard to be 600lbs and function as an independent adult in society. Most of us that struggle with obesity, still have to work for a living, take care of our families/pets, drive cars etc- it’s very hard to become that large even with a sedentary office job if you’re living independently. Lots of people are Obese Class I or II, but not the size of these participants. 

That’s probably why I think we are not seeing so many inspiring stories. Also the pandemic did effect filming and selection of participants I am sure. 

Great points. 

• Love 1
On 12/31/2021 at 12:19 PM, ams1001 said:

Can't find much on John (he has social media but no recent updates) but Lonnie did have a recentish picture and he looks like he's doing pretty well (still bigger than Lonnie but much smaller than he was). Now hoping for a where are they now episode.

So I've taken to checking in on Lonnie's IG every so often and the latest is a little update on John...looks like he's planning skin removal soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZASNL8vCpq/

• Love 3