Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm betting a lot of the poundticipants are diabetic, since it's mentioned so often, and may be prescribed the GLP-1 drugs.   I was interest to read that Ozempic is for diabetics, and Wegovy was made with a different formula, I wonder how accurate that is?  

I thought that they were the same, along with the other injectible, and the oral pills (Rybelsus or however it's spelled).     But I've read they work in part  because they take your appetite away, and the number of side effects would worry me with long term use.  I wonder how compliant some of the patients are too, with exceeding the recommended dosage to try and lose more weight?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Were those furrows of Pringles?

44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm betting a lot of the poundticipants are diabetic, since it's mentioned so often, and may be prescribed the GLP-1 drugs.   I was interest to read that Ozempic is for diabetics.

Some of them have visible insulin resistance (dark or bright pink, thick skin on their necks, knees and hands). I would think they'd have to qualify for GLP-1.

• Useful 1
On 7/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, LeesburgLee said:

Speaking of editing… 

I know the editors want to draw out the drama of the weigh-ins, but having the scale screen cycle over and over and over as the voiceover drones on about “my last chance” or “I don’t know what I’ll do” just bugs me, especially when it’s drawn out heading into the commercial break. The voiceovers are so repetitive already (c'mon, we know it’s written for the participants) and then the readout’s dashes bouncing around and around, it just wastes time. Surely the editors can cut all that down.

Or, Dr Now has the slowest-resetting scale on the market. 

The scale is gasping for breath.

• LOL 2
(edited)

Hello you lovely people. I'm a fugitive from 90DF.

I just signed on as they were driving to Houston. Weeyum (as Yolanda would pronounce it) is a negative nabob. Whine, whine, whine about the trip, vehicle, everything. It's not enough his Mom is driving him alone for 6+ hours in a full-sized SUV, to get free specialized care for years (by being  on the show); deal with it, bozo, she doesn't have a van or limo to haul you.

Good of Mom to deliver the message that he should not blow this opportunity or s***w around with Dr. Now. Then I see she's well on the way to being the size he is and talks a good line (like he does) about following the diet, while she cooks or buys him non-low-cal food (a huge fast-food salad with regular ranch all over it is not low-cal). 

Are the Pounders ever referred to a group like one of the food Anonymous programs? Or for an inpatient stay for eating behavioral change? I would think it's hard to make these changes alone. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Like 1
(edited)

Soviet apartment? Check. 

One piece of furniture in each room? Check. 

No top sheet? Check. At least there's a bottom sheet although no mattress pad. I bet it smells.  

No rugs of any kind (no standard "80% of floor must be covered"?) so neighbors can hear him pound around 24/7?

No doormat? Nasty bare feet on nasty walkway getting into nasty shoes, untied so he can fall and break his [insert body parts]?  

Since when is a bunch of scrambled eggs with cheese, a tall smoothie, a fried dinner-sized sausage, plus (I didn't catch the rest but probably) hash browns, etc., a weight-loss breakfast? 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tuneful said:

Are the Pounders ever referred to a group like one of the food Anonymous programs? Or for an inpatient stay for eating behavioral change? I would think it's hard to make these changes alone. 

They get referred to therapy (usually after surgery for Dr. Now).  Some have been placed into inpatient programs for a month or two but only if they were in imminent danger of dying.  Otherwise, it's just too expensive.

David and Benji episode is on tonight... I am not plannign to re-watch but I did go back to see what they look like now.  David was still doign well weight-wise as of last fall when he last updated... 

spacer.png

They showed a patient of Dr. Now's leading a group meeting for post surgery patients years ago at his office, at least I think it was at the office.    I'm guessing some don't want to be on TV, and it would require a lot of releases to show everyone.  

Dr. Now apparently has patients that don't qualify for the show, and they might not want to be shown on TV either.  I'm sure there are some who don't publicize they've had WLS.  

If any of them were going to any 12-step programs, I'm sure the rules wouldn't allow filming or publicly saying what group they belong to for the privacy of other participants.   

I thought that they were the same, along with the other injectible, and the oral pills (Rybelsus or however it's spelled).     But I've read they work in part  because they take your appetite away, and the number of side effects would worry me with long term use.  I wonder how compliant some of the patients are too, with exceeding the recommended dosage to try and lose more weight?  

I'm on Ozempic and I'm diabetic. It definitely reduces your appetite and takes away cravings. I can't really describe what eating is like - it's not unpleasant but it's not as enjoyable as before. You really don't want to eat beyond when you are full. I eat about half as much as I did before and I didn't eat huge portions in the past. 

For me, the side effects were primarily nausea and heartburn and they were much worse in the beginning. They are pretty much gone now now although I do get some nausea from time to time. 

You can't really exceed the recommended dosage, at least not at insurance's expense (and it is expensive - about $1,500 a month). The meds are in injectable form and if you go through it faster than prescribed, insurance won't pay to refill it early. When you stop taking it, you start eating normally again. I had a gap between prescriptions because of drug shortages and when I restarted after about two weeks, I had a resurgance of side effects. 

• Useful 2
(edited)

I used to live near El Paso, and lots of people would go to Juarez to pharmacies for all types of drugs.  If it needed a prescription, the pharmacist would call their local doctor, get a prescription for you, and it cost you $5.    I wouldn't be surprised if people in Houston either take the trip to Mexico, or have a middle man who gets their drugs cheaper, and without a doctor's oversight.   

I've read that of U.S. patients who live near the Canadian border are going across, and getting the cheaper drug prices.  The article said that 10% of prescriptions filled in B.C. pharmacies for U.S. vistors were for Ozempic and the similar drugs.  

Sad news, I posted in the Vianey and Allen WATN topic, but Vianey died a few months ago of pneumonia, there are some lovely photos and postings on the Tribute Wall. 

https://www.cremationsoftheozarks.com/obituaries/Vianey-Vanessa-Edith-Rodriquez?obId=30011341

She was only 41.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)

This week is a new poundticipant, Charles.   Next week 24 April is WATN One-Ton Family Supersized.    So, I guess tonight's episode is the end of the regular season. 

I'm suspicious about the WATN One-Ton Family being new, or if they slapped Supersized on it to make it 'new'.   I remember a follow up with the family the last time, so it might not be new.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I couldn't find a topic for the WATN for Lonnie and John.  I'm watching the rerun of the WATN on TLC, and I'm so happy for both of them.    I love Lonnie's boyfriend, and their trainer at the gym.    Lonnie is so full of life, and enjoying everything he can do without the weight, and the excess skin.  He's really tall I guess.   John still needs to buckle down, and then go to a plastic surgeon for a lot of skin surgery.   The wife certainly is supportive.