Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: One More Woman in Kody's Life

• Start Topic

Christine's oldest daughters are moving out and her mother Annie (Ann is her middle name or part of her first name) is moving in; Robyn's ex-husband is also addressed.

(ETA: I did not notice any coverage of Robyn's ex, but that was in the description which I found for this episode. My apologies if it is incorrect!) 

Edited by maraleia

Kody in that Olive Newton-John sweat headband running through the house with his hair flopping in the wind is an image I'll never get out of my head.  Did he really put that on to "jog" from Robyn's house to Christine's?

• Love 10

Hmm. So the part about 20 minutes in was really powerful to me. The this is...you can't make people rely on each other and live each other. The women aren't in "love" with one another. But, doesn't that go for one on one marriage, too? Just..relationships in general. It's sad when things change, but it wouldn't be right to demand a certain role or forbid divorce. Living outside a personal ideal in your mind is hard though. I appreciated that Christine shared. She wasn't demanding anything; she was sharing her ideal dream.

• Love 1

Well Kody got on his King of the Polygamists soapbox again: "No monogamist would EVER have to deal with logistics!"

WOW, I was truly surprised to see Janelle kiss Breanna on the head! I did not know she had that warmth towards the other kids. 

I liked seeing Hunter's interactions with the family and the other  boys' goofiness. The kids are always great!

Robyn and her "we're all working the same hours"....what????

• Love 5

I was switching back and forth tonight from the SAG Awards to Sister Wives, but after seeing first Meri crying and then Robin crying, I said to hell with it and went back to the award show. Do these morons really think they're showing their lifestyle in a good light when they spend part of every episode sobbing about something?   

• Love 4

Sounds like Robyn just does what she wants, she is getting her bills paid and a new big house and probably most of Kody's sexual attention. I don't blame Christine for being hurt by her, but she should be more mad at Kody for messing up the system they had with 3 wives.

• Love 1

Tonight's episode made me think that once upon a time they really did have a good set up (ignoring the sharing a man aspect), but now it's a clusterfuck.  They definitely need to stop acting like the model for plyg families considering their new lifestyle.

• Love 6

Robyn and her "we're all working the same hours"....what????

Apparently  Kody didn't get it either:  https://twitter.com/realkodybrown/status/559540203128246272

Hey Robyn, Kadouche - What's hard to understand? The viewers are all wondering the same thing: you all told us the reason you wanted to go public was to show the wonders of polygamy - how sister wives have a built-in support system that monogamous families don't have, and that the kids have more than one mother. That you're one big family that loves, supports, and takes care of each other. Love multiplied, remember? Every week on this show we see the opposite is true. "Work" at MSWC is probably 5 hours a week.. Yet no other sister wife, like Meri the empty nester, can help Christine.

• Love 10

That was such a sad contrast, listening to Annie in tears discussing how hard it was for her to be in a plural marriage, how the only way she got along with the other wife was when they were mothers, then listening to chirpy Christine on the couch talk about how she loved seeing her mother's relationship and that is what she wanted in life. Goes to show the pro-plyg kids have no idea what it really means to be a sister wife while growing up.

There wasn't a "For Sale" sign in front of Annie's house, so I wonder if she is really selling it. She left behind furniture and she also talked about what to take and what to leave. What is with these people moving and leaving stuff behind? And doesn't she know that the 3-year clock is running out on the McMansions? The Brown's will need to be looking for conventional mortgages within a year or so on those places and I doubt they will find them.

Christine said said they didn't talk to her mom for "a long time" then later it turns out to be six months. Six lousy months. 

I really want to hear exactly what Christine means by the phrase "not safe". Not the crap about being arrested for polygamy or people kidnapping the kids, but what it really means to her. We did finally get a definition of "I wanted the family" from her- she wanted built-in babysitters. She could have had that from regular sisters and not have them sleep with her husband. Or she could have borrowed Mindy.

I can't believe Robyn was completely blindsided by Christine's hurt over the Mindy situation. I guess that is what happens when you bring a monogamist into a plyg marriage.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 5

Well Kody got on his King of the Polygamists soapbox again: "No monogamist would EVER have to deal with logistics!"

I know! I know he is dim, but really Kody, most families have to deal with various car/travel logistics too. It is not just a polygamist problem. Sigh...what an idiot.

I did get a laugh out of Aspyn asking Mykelti if she wanted to be sister wives with Mariah.

• Love 7

A few items...

KoDouche doing actual physical labor while moving the girls into their apartment. Of course, since they are Christine's kids, he couldn't get out of there fast enough in contrast to lingering unwanted at Maddie's apartment.

That fucking headband. Looked like the camera crew caught KoDouche getting ready to do his Jane Fonda workout.

Apparently this family believes that if you say something often enough, that makes it true. Notice how many times they said they are all working. Even if they do work on MSWC, it's an online business, so they aren't answering phone calls and taking orders. Nor are they making the joory themselves. What "work" is there, especially for five people?

Enough with the "We were forced out of Utah" bullshit.

Sorry for the rant. I must have male PMS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

That was such a sad contrast, listening to Annie in tears discussing how hard it was for her to be in a plural marriage, how the only way she got along with the other wife was when they were mothers, then listening to chirpy Christine on the couch talk about how she loved seeing her mother's relationship and that is what she wanted in life. Goes to show the pro-plyg kids have no idea what it really means to be a sister wife while growing up.

There wasn't a "For Sale" sign in front of Annie's house, so I wonder if she is really selling it. She left behind furniture and she also talked about what to take and what to leave. What is with these people moving and leaving stuff behind? And doesn't she know that the 3-year clock is running out on the McMansions? The Brown's will need to be looking for conventional mortgages within a year or so on those places and I doubt they will find them.

Christine said said they didn't talk to her mom for "a long time" then later it turns out to be six months. Six lousy months. 

I really want to hear exactly what Christine means by the phrase "not safe". Not the crap about being arrested for polygamy or people kidnapping the kids, but what it really means to her. We did finally get a definition of "I wanted the family" from her- she wanted built-in babysitters. She could have had that from regular sisters and not have them sleep with her husband. Or she could have borrowed Mindy.

Yeah while watching the show, I was thinking Christine watched some of the Duggars' show, saw Grandma Duggar babysitting for Jim-Bob and Michelle (while living with them) and decided how I can make that work for me. Especially as like the Duggars, some of her other chief babysitters (the oldest daughters) are moving out and they have to find new sources of babysitting. 

That being said I have long thought Christine gets the least amount of help from Kody with the kids, so I don't mind seeing her get help from someone else. 

I think Christine picked polygamy, because that's how she was raised. I think her family was aggressively pro-polygamy when she was younger, but her mom has changed or mellowed in the later years .I've seen other people in other religions or lifestyles change or mellow their views as they and their kids got older. (And I missed the part where Christine's mother got divorced. very surprised)

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

Christine.  "I remember watching my two moms aaannd.... I loved it!"  And when her parents divorced, "it wrecked MY world".  Always about her, like she's the XL center of the universe.  What I didn't understand was whether Christine's mother was saying that she was fooled into joining the anti-polygamy group, but then saw the light (so to speak), and got out of it as soon as she could?  I wonder if her being allowed onto the show entailed her denouncing any ties to anything anti-plyg.   

I thought that Kody's headband was real spiffy.  You know, exactly like young Richard Simmons. 

However, I also thought that Kody talking about all of the "lies" and "allegations of abuse" in their group was an insult to all of the abuse survivors who were fortunate enough to have escaped, and it was also an insult to those viewers who have read the many available articles, blogs, public records, etc and who are able to see what his and other groups are/were all about.

I think that Janelle saying how it was intimidating to have Truely spend a few days with her, and the tight look on her face when she said it, was a very transparent look into their relationships.  Then Christine kind of dressed her down with the, "well, SHE'S very excited about it and has been packed since early morning, and has been trying to go over to your house for HOURS", and Janelle seemed uncomfortable and wouldn't look at Christine and I kind of half-smiled. 

Kind of. 

• Love 6

I cannot express how much I loved this exchange:

Annie:  "Hunter, is this all you're doing, just standing there hollering at people?"

Hunter:  Big grin on his face, "Oh you know it grandma".

WOW, I was truly surprised to see Janelle kiss Breanna on the head! I did not know she had that warmth towards the other kids. 

That was very interesting!  That's the first time I've noticed Janelle even interacting significantly with a child that is not hers.  And she showed affection?  I'm thinking that therapist is working.  On the other hand, I thought it was strange that Janelle, after Christine watched her kids for years, seemed to make a big deal over keeping Truely for two nights. 

What a difference between Aspyn/Mykelti and Madison:

Aspyn/Mykelti - You can come visit us, hugs, kisses, love you.

Madison - Get the fuck out.

I think that Janelle saying how it was intimidating to have Truely spend a few days with her, and the tight look on her face when she said it, was a very transparent look into their relationships.  Then Christine kind of dressed her down with the, "well, SHE'S very excited about it and has been packed since early morning, and has been trying to go over to your house for HOURS", and Janelle seemed uncomfortable and wouldn't look at Christine and I kind of half-smiled. 

Kind of. 

I'm going to cut Janelle a little slack, and suggest this is Janelle trying to verbalize her feelings, instead of holding it inside and getting anxious/angry.  I don't think Christine was dressing Janelle down, just explaining how very excited Truely is.  She probably doesn't get much time with Savannah alone.  They're the two littlest girls.  It does look a little petty considering Christine not only watched Janelle's kids for years, but also cooked their dinner five days a week.

• Love 4

For someone who loves the polyg lifestyle so much, Christine is never happy. I call BS on the whole scene where Christine told Robyn that she was upset that Robyn didn't ask her to help with her kids. Christine can't look after her own kids and admitted that the reason she asked her mother to move in is that her two oldest babysitters - opps daughters - have moved out so she needs help.

I thought Janelle missing from the couch for most of the segments was odd. And when she was there it seemed to be in body only - she looked totally disengaged. On the other hand since she seems to be the only Brown with a legit job, maybe she was selling real estate.

• Love 12

For someone who loves the polyg lifestyle so much, Christine is never happy.

Yes, but it really seems like they are not living the lifestyle. Christine, to me, is the most earth mother of the bunch. She'd love to stay home and hang with the younger kids while other wives worked. And the fact that Mindy is watching Robyn's kids means this isn't happening. Oh, Kody, I call BS on the cars. Growing up in a large fam we often had to do major car swaps. Somebody needs the truck to haul something, somebody can't drive the stick shift, somebody needs the "best" car since they are driving a few hours away. Plygs are the only ones who do that. Also, wow does Annie know Kody. She did a great imitation of him flipping his hair around and head bobbing. I like her, hope she and Christine are figuring out how to make it work living together.

• Love 4

Hey Robyn, Kadouche - What's hard to understand? The viewers are all wondering the same thing: you all told us the reason you wanted to go public was to show the wonders of polygamy - how sister wives have a built-in support system that monogamous families don't have, and that the kids have more than one mother. That you're one big family that loves, supports, and takes care of each other. Love multiplied, remember? Every week on this show we see the opposite is true. "Work" at MSWC is probably 5 hours a week.. Yet no other sister wife, like Meri the empty nester, can help Christine.

The latter was especially silly, given Meri's boo hooing about missing interacting with the younger ones. You know. The kids living yards/feet away in their private cul de sac.

These idiots are too much.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 9

Christine was supposedly the "mother" to that whole bunch of kids at one time, and yet now that her oldest two have moved out, she needs her mother to help her ? I would think all but the youngest one are in school all day? Robyn has help, and all hers are in school too except her youngest? Thought she could not get pregnant because between her kids and the jewelry business she was just so busy? And yet she apparently doesn't even take care of her own kids now? And what jobs do they all go to? Meri still isn't in school? How do Christine's two girls pay for that large  niceapartment I wonder?

• Love 12

Oh man, I cannot TAKE one more second of Kody whining about additional women in his life. Newsflash: you're a polygamist!!!! If you wanted to be surrounded by dudes, join the priesthood. 

Also, can this please be it with the moving episodes? Packing and moving = my worst nightmare. I get anxiety just watching other people do it, especially when it looks like a disorganized clusterfuck. So yea, please....no more. 

And I just don't get the point of moving Christine's mom in. If they put it out there as Annie simply growing older and lonely, and wanting family around - I'd be all for it. But Christine literally said, in re the older girls moving out, "There goes all my help. I was at a loss for what to do". Um, you have 4 kids left at home. Only one of which who isn't in school full time. How much help do you really need? Those older kids can surely do a lot for themselves. 

So I don't think it was that she really needed the help, but I think she was just lonely. I believe Christine, more than anyone. really and truly loves the idea of the polygamist lifestyle. I don't think it's JUST religious for her. I think she truly believes in the "it takes a village" mentality that so many of them tout, but don't really live. And I actually kind of get that. I could never be a polygamist, but I do like the idea of communal living and people helping each other out. How could kids be harmed by more love in their lives? 

So I think Christine really lost out when they moved to Vegas. Even now, with the houses next door, it's clear that they do not really interact as a family - to the point where Janelle was all intimidated to watch Truly for a few days. I know Christine is really judgy and annoying at times, but I do feel bad for her in this respect, because it's clear she's really missing that big family dynamic. 

I mean, hell, Robyn is even hiring babysitters instead of asking her sisterwives to watch her kids! And what I want to know is, what's up with this claim that they're ALL working? And that's why they can't watch the kids? Working at what? We know Janelle does real estate, and Robyn purportedly runs MSWC by herself, hence all the martyrdom and whining. So what in the seven hells are the other three doing? I want a clear, concise timeline of how they spend their day and what constitutes as "work" around there. 

I do think Annie is a very brave woman. Not only to have left polygamy, but she was SO young when she married. She was never independent. That must have been a huge leap for her. And I appreciate that she wasn't all angry and self righteous. She just knew it wasn't the life for her. And it makes me mad that Christine basically wrote her mother off before even sitting down and having a talk with her; they just made their decision based on assumptions. Not going to go into details, but my father did that to me and it really really sucks. I'm glad they eventually worked it all out, and I hope this new arrangement works out. 

The best part of the episode for me was Mykelti vehemently stating she did NOT want Mariah for a sisterwife. 

• Love 18

I think a lot of Merry's boo hooing is just a natural part of growing and evolving and she needs to just get over it already. No, it's not going to be the same as when the family was young and all under one roof. It happens to every family, polyg or not. You're kids grow up and move out, it's life. They are all so fucked up and mentally stunted that even normal life changes are too much to handle like an adult.

Stop the damn whining about your life not being what you had imagined and actually do something about it to make it what you envisioned.

As far as Janelle missing on the couch I thought it was to signify her not being in Utah to help pack up the mother.

• Love 3

How do Christine's two girls pay for that large  niceapartment I wonder?

I do remember that Aspyn last year tweeted something about being excited for her job, so I would not be surprised that some, if not most, of the older kids have jobs and the audience just does not hear about it.

• Love 1

Christine was supposedly the "mother" to that whole bunch of kids at one time, and yet now that her oldest two have moved out, she needs her mother to help her ? I would think all but the youngest one are in school all day? Robyn has help, and all hers are in school too except her youngest? Thought she could not get pregnant because between her kids and the jewelry business she was just so busy? And yet she apparently doesn't even take care of her own kids now? And what jobs do they all go to? Meri still isn't in school? How do Christine's two girls pay for that large niceapartment I wonder?

Meri just tweeted a few days ago that she just started school that day. Yup took over a year in real time. IMO she really didn't want to, because like the other adults *including Janelle* she's lazy.

Last I checked its still a buyers market in LV and rents are super low.

So Christine's mom isn't selling her place and she left stuff = she's only moving in temporarily. Plot line needed.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 4

I think I am with Janelle about being intimidated by Truly. She is a super cute little girl, but in some of the episodes lately, she doesn't seem to mind all that well, and she has inherited her mother's dramatic and histrionics x10.

• Love 4

What a difference between Aspyn/Mykelti and Madison:

Aspyn/Mykelti - You can come visit us, hugs, kisses, love you.

Madison - Get the fuck out.

lmao!  Nice recap... they could have narrowed those scenes down to what you just said, and it would have been more entertaining! 

I'm going to cut Janelle a little slack, and suggest this is Janelle trying to verbalize her feelings, instead of holding it inside and getting anxious/angry.  I don't think Christine was dressing Janelle down, just explaining how very excited Truely is.  She probably doesn't get much time with Savannah alone.  They're the two littlest girls.  It does look a little petty considering Christine not only watched Janelle's kids for years, but also cooked their dinner five days a week.

I see what you mean, but am unsure why Janelle would be holding anxiety/anger inside at the thought of keeping Truely.  Maybe that was her passive-aggressive way of suggesting that Truely may be a bit spoiled/out of control at times.  I mean, if TLC is going to edit the adults, then they definitely also edit the kids.  Or, maybe Janelle is simply over the charade and close to the breaking point.  Who knows? 

I thought that Christine and Janelle had tension between them, especially over Janelle's untimely comments.  Meri and Robyn were both weepy on the couch, my opinion is that Meri was crying for the "fun times" of the old days, and Robyn was crying for the not-so-fun times of the new ones. 

I also hope that Aspyn, Mykelti and Mariah all take a nutrition class and find the campus fitness centers.  It's a really sad state of affairs when Christine is glopping around, gloating about weight loss and both of her older girls are steadily gaining weight right under her nose.  Just another selfish show of her priorities... Christine must come first, at any cost. 

• Love 2

Okay, random thoughts on the show.

I actually liked this episode—maybe the first time in I don’t know how many seasons. Yes, there was some stupid bullshit (see snark, below), but there was some everyday life in this episode, finally. FINALLY. Much less manufactured drama (except the VERY DRAMATIC MUSIC when they were explaining the background of Annie’s split from plyg-dom); much more of the actual life of the family, which is more interesting than faux business drama, red-herring storylines (gasp...is Robyn pregnant??), and yet another stupid party.

First, I LOVE the kids’ couch scenes. Yay...they’re all fantastic—cute, sassy, bright, fun. (And LOGAN...um, words fail, except YOWZA!)

I really like Annie. Huzzah, there’s an adult female I can stomach. She appears to be so earthy and grounded; I really want to be best friends. Please Annie, please don’t let us down. Please don’t turn into a jerk; it may be contagious, I don’t know. Don’t drink the green Kool-Aid.

How many times have we seen the family need to do logistical things involving cars, motorhomes, etc., where the women make a workable plan, things are running as smoothly as they can with 87 people involved—until Kody jumps in the middle of it and unnecessarily complicates the whole thing, just because he needs to feel like he’s in charge.

When they were moving Mykelti and Aspyn into their apt. and Kody was sweating through his shirt, you could clearly see the outline of his garment underneath, so I guess they still do that.

I just can’t with the entire blabbery story that was told on the couch about all the lying anti-polygamists and Kody going into head-shaking-holy-shit-it-was-SO-BAD mode, that stupid, stupid story about how they cut off ties with Annie for a really long time and didn’t even know she wasn’t involved with the anti-polygamy group anymore. Brilliant. And that’s when they fled Utah the FIRST time, and moved to Wyoming. Kody has yanked this family all over creation since day one. Nothing like putting a nitwit (who has the attention span of a flea on crack) at the helm of your little boat.

And next week, it looks like Maddie is considering a move into the LDS church, and this is ALARMING to the parents? After all the talk I’ve heard about how they want their children to make their own choices and be happy? Hm...easier said than done.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 4

For someone who loves the polyg lifestyle so much, Christine is never happy. I call BS on the whole scene where Christine told Robyn that she was upset that Robyn didn't ask her to help with her kids. Christine can't look after her own kids and admitted that the reason she asked her mother to move in is that her two oldest babysitters - opps daughters - have moved out so she needs help.

I thought Janelle missing from the couch for most of the segments was odd. And when she was there it seemed to be in body only - she looked totally disengaged. On the other hand since she seems to be the only Brown with a legit job, maybe she was selling real estate.

Perhaps Janelle was not on the couch because the others were talking about the move and she wasn't involved in it.  Would have been interesting to see her babysitting.  Wonder why they didn't film that?

I'm going to cut Janelle a little slack, and suggest this is Janelle trying to verbalize her feelings, instead of holding it inside and getting anxious/angry.  I don't think Christine was dressing Janelle down, just explaining how very excited Truely is.  She probably doesn't get much time with Savannah alone.  They're the two littlest girls.  It does look a little petty considering Christine not only watched Janelle's kids for years, but also cooked their dinner five days a week.

I really didn't see it as petty. Christine was always the wife who did mass childcare, while Janelle worked outside the home; those were the roles they both enjoyed the most, so taking care of other kids would be a lot less familiar ground for Janelle. The moment was pretty revealing, and dovetails with what we viewers have been saying for a long time: THEY DON'T WALK THE TALK. They blab the glories of sister wife motherhood, but they haven't lived it for years. Truely was born when this show began, and since the show began, they have not been living a co-mingled life.

• Love 6

What I didn't understand was whether Christine's mother was saying that she was fooled into joining the anti-polygamy group, but then saw the light (so to speak), and got out of it as soon as she could?

I understood it as her being a founder of a support group for people who left polygamy.  She left the group when it became more political.

Annie really has Kody's number.  Should be interesting to watch.

• Love 4

Rehearsing the Fountain of Tears for the next couch segment?

Scrounging for another half-assed idea to keep this mess going for another painful umpteen seasons?

Filling out the welfare forms so they will be ready when TLC pulls the plug?

• Love 3

I was glad to see how happy the kids all seem to be about Annie's arrival.  I have to say that, although I loved my grandmother, I wouldn't have liked it much if she had moved in with us.  They all seem crazy about her.

Janelle's response made total sense to me.  I'm not a huge lover of children and it strikes me that Janelle isn't, either.  Yes, she has several, but that's because it's what's expected.  As we all know, Christine did more of the child-rearing than Janelle ever did.  Not to mention that Janelle doesn't have any as small as Truely anymore.  I have one daughter who is 11 and the love of my life, but I don't have any desire to fill my house with bunches of other kids and every time my two-year-old nephew comes over, I'm slightly apprehensive.  Not because I don't love him and don't know how to care for a toddler, but because it's taking me back to that time that I don't necessarily want to revisit.

• Love 2

lmao!  Nice recap... they could have narrowed those scenes down to what you just said, and it would have been more entertaining! 

I see what you mean, but am unsure why Janelle would be holding anxiety/anger inside at the thought of keeping Truely.  Maybe that was her passive-aggressive way of suggesting that Truely may be a bit spoiled/out of control at times.  I mean, if TLC is going to edit the adults, then they definitely also edit the kids.  Or, maybe Janelle is simply over the charade and close to the breaking point.  Who knows? 

I thought that Christine and Janelle had tension between them, especially over Janelle's untimely comments.  Meri and Robyn were both weepy on the couch, my opinion is that Meri was crying for the "fun times" of the old days, and Robyn was crying for the not-so-fun times of the new ones. 

I also hope that Aspyn, Mykelti and Mariah all take a nutrition class and find the campus fitness centers.  It's a really sad state of affairs when Christine is glopping around, gloating about weight loss and both of her older girls are steadily gaining weight right under her nose.  Just another selfish show of her priorities... Christine must come first, at any cost. 

Actually, Christine has lost more weight than any SW and her kids have too. They have obviously switched up some diets in the home and good for them. Aspen is slimmer than last season and so is Mykelti. Paedon who was getting really chunky is slimmer too.

Dayton is slimmer.

Kody is bigger. Meri is bigger. Jenelle just keeps gaining and losing the same 25 lbs. And Robyn is bigger. But the biggest butt of all is MARIAH!!!! So funny what her sister's said about not wanting to be her SW.

Okay, random thoughts on the show.

I actually liked this episode—maybe the first time in I don’t know how many seasons. Yes, there was some stupid bullshit (see snark, below), but there was some everyday life in this episode, finally. FINALLY. Much less manufactured drama (except the VERY DRAMATIC MUSIC when they were explaining the background of Annie’s split from plyg-dom); much more of the actual life of the family, which is more interesting than faux business drama, red-herring storylines (gasp...is Robyn pregnant??), and yet another stupid party.

First, I LOVE the kids’ couch scenes. Yay...they’re all fantastic—cute, sassy, bright, fun. (And LOGAN...um, words fail, except YOWZA!)

I really like Annie. Huzzah, there’s an adult female I can stomach. She appears to be so earthy and grounded; I really want to be best friends. Please Annie, please don’t let us down. Please don’t turn into a jerk; it may be contagious, I don’t know. Don’t drink the green Kool-Aid.

How many times have we seen the family need to do logistical things involving cars, motorhomes, etc., where the women make a workable plan, things are running as smoothly as they can with 87 people involved—until Kody jumps in the middle of it and unnecessarily complicates the whole thing, just because he needs to feel like he’s in charge.

When they were moving Mykelti and Aspyn into their apt. and Kody was sweating through his shirt, you could clearly see the outline of his garment underneath, so I guess they still do that.

I just can’t with the entire blabbery story that was told on the couch about all the lying anti-polygamists and Kody going into head-shaking-holy-shit-it-was-SO-BAD mode, that stupid, stupid story about how they cut off ties with Annie for a really long time and didn’t even know she wasn’t involved with the anti-polygamy group anymore. Brilliant. And that’s when they fled Utah the FIRST time, and moved to Wyoming. Kody has yanked this family all over creation since day one. Nothing like putting a nitwit (who has the attention span of a flea on crack) at the helm of your little boat.

And next week, it looks like Maddie is considering a move into the LDS church, and this is ALARMING to the parents? After all the talk I’ve heard about how they want their children to make their own choices and be happy? Hm...easier said than done.

Pay attention to weather or not Maddie starts to dress a little more modestly, then we will know. College LDS girls don't let their bras show and wear longer shorts.

Meri just tweeted a few days ago that she just started school that day. Yup took over a year in real time. IMO she really didn't want to, because like the other adults *including Janelle* she's lazy.

Last I checked its still a buyers market in LV and rents are super low.

So Christine's mom isn't selling her place and she left stuff = she's only moving in temporarily. Plot line needed.

Who puts fabric in bacteria lined banana boxes. You never get the smell out, or the spores. GROSS!!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Christine was supposedly the "mother" to that whole bunch of kids at one time, and yet now that her oldest two have moved out, she needs her mother to help her ? I would think all but the youngest one are in school all day? Robyn has help, and all hers are in school too except her youngest? 

Yes, this is is all very baffling. I was also thinking that it can't be that crazy hectic to just take care of Truely during the day; besides her, all of Christine's kids have to be over 10 years old.  And the same goes for Robyn when it comes to Solomon. Just what in the world is everyone doing in their big old houses all day long? They have plenty of space to swap kids around in the various homes when one has a busier day than the other. When Robyn said they are all working at the same time, was she referring to the talking head segments they film? But surely that cannot take up so much time that they aren't able to look after each other's kids, let alone their own! I agree with a previous poster that Christine needs her mom for company and her own personal support rather than childcare. I also thought it was a little inaccurate to say Aspyn and Mykelti are both moving out, as Aspyn has already been in college on campus for a few years now. 

I too found Annie really likable and interesting. I'm wondering if Christine was the child Annie was pregnant with at 17? 

Edited by purpleflowers

I also get Janelle's apprehension at Truely's weekend visit. First of all, Janelle isn't one to pretend she's feeling something she's not. Anytime you bring 2 children into a household for a couple of days, its going to change the dynamic of the house. More bath giving and feeding and keeping an eye on extra kids adds to the workload of a person who'd just said she was going to be working that weekend. She said she meets with clients primarily on weekends. Most of the older kids were in Utah helping with move. Why didn't Robyn's babysitter\niece help out with Christine's smaller kids?

I think Annie said she left when Christine was 5?  So I don't know what kind of happy sisterwife memories Christine has from childhood that actually involved her own mother.  I think when her mother was there there were just two wives (and she was one of them) so maybe he remarried again and she remembers THOSE moms fondly.

I call BS on the whole scene where Christine told Robyn that she was upset that Robyn didn't ask her to help with her kids. Christine can't look after her own kids and admitted that the reason she asked her mother to move in is that her two oldest babysitters - opps daughters - have moved out so she needs help.

Maybe that’s the crux of it.  “Listen, sister(wife), about the only thing you brought to this plural marriage is debt, a working uterus and an extra pair of hands.  Only the extra pair of hands never showed up.  Not only are you sitting pretty with a small number of kids, you haven’t even taken any of MINE off my hands, and what’s more are getting outside help with the ones you DO have!"

Meri has to drive to Utah to pick up Mariah’s car to get it registered?  What, are they boycotting giving Utah the $30 for the inspection sticker or something?

I also noticed weight loss pretty much across the board with the kids.  Good for them.  And once again, snark as I might about the adults, these are really an amazing collection of "reality show" children.  Bright and nice and friendly and candid and open -- good kids, as far as I can see.  So somebody raised them right (probably aside from Logan!)  I especially like how much more involved Day-un is.  I love seeing him goofing around with his brothers.  They seem to respect his need for quiet time, but he also seems to be included in a genuinely loving  way.  I am one of the posters who looked askance at Robin bringing a kid with his challenges into such a chaotic family, but he really does seem happy.  I'm glad we're seeing it, this season.  

• Love 1

Who puts fabric in bacteria lined banana boxes. You never get the smell out, or the spores. GROSS!!!!

We must use different banana boxes, LOL. As a quilter who hoards fabric and as one who has moved many times, I love me some banana boxes. They're quite strong, have great handles, and are a manageable, uniform size for stacking. They don't stink, as bananas are almost universally shipped when still green, and the fungi that bananas can host are not common (due to fumigation) and are only problematic to, well, other bananas. If a box was even in the same neighborhood as "gross" there is no way in hell my precious, expensive fabric would go inside.

Getting off my soap box now. Or, banana box. :)

• Love 8

In all of the old video footage ,Meri is playing with and taking care of the other children. I think it is OK that she misses this time and the closeness they once had. For whatever reason, when Robyn entered the picture the family dynamic changed. Now that they are in LV, they are living much more separated lives. If Christine wanted Robyn to leave her kids with her she could have asked.

I assume Christine's mom is moving in because Christine said her daughters babysat and kept her sane. She apparently has a problem with handling life 'on her own'. It seems odd to me, but I was alone for a long time before I got married so I just don't get not being able to take care of yourself as an adult.

And honestly, in my opinion, give Mariah a break. She is overweight, and so are all of Kody's daughters, every single one. Yes, she dares to go to college, just like all of Kody's kids who are college aged. And yes, she is open to staying in the religion she was raised in. Many people are and do. At this point, none of Kody's kids are polygamists, and maybe none of them will be. Monogamy is what most people choose, and once the kids are out in the world, they may see and appreciate other options.

And no, Janelle does not work  ( i have seen no evidence she has sold even one house) and she is not better than anyone else because she is aloof and uninvolved. Again, in my opinion only, a person  should care about  and be involved with their family. If you are too good for your husband and kids, that is your problem not theirs. Janelle could get an actual job and/or leave at any time if she wanted to. I believe she holds deeply religious believes, as do the other wives and that is why she stays. I don't see her as being 'over' anything. She has always acted like she does now.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

So I don't think it was that she really needed the help, but I think she was just lonely. I believe Christine, more than anyone. really and truly loves the idea of the polygamist lifestyle. I don't think it's JUST religious for her. I think she truly believes in the "it takes a village" mentality that so many of them tout, but don't really live. And I actually kind of get that. I could never be a polygamist, but I do like the idea of communal living and people helping each other out. How could kids be harmed by more love in their lives? 

So I think Christine really lost out when they moved to Vegas. Even now, with the houses next door, it's clear that they do not really interact as a family - to the point where Janelle was all intimidated to watch Truly for a few days. I know Christine is really judgy and annoying at times, but I do feel bad for her in this respect, because it's clear she's really missing that big family dynamic. 

I agree.  I don't think Christine is looking for help, I think she realizes her mother is lonely.  All the grandchildren seem to adore Annie and she loves them right back.  Most of Janelle's kids called her grandma, not Grandma Annie.  Even though Annie is a lot more subdued than Christine, I think they're two peas in a pod.  They kind of simultaneously break out into the same song, etc.  Christine said they were best friends for years.  Christine seems the most neglected by Kody, so she's probably one of the loneliest.  Hopefully, they'll start poker night and Meri can come hang out and have fun.  Leave Janelle alone (as she prefers it), and let Robyn have Kody. 

I think a lot of Merry's boo hooing is just a natural part of growing and evolving and she needs to just get over it already. No, it's not going to be the same as when the family was young and all under one roof. It happens to every family, polyg or not. You're kids grow up and move out, it's life. They are all so fucked up and mentally stunted that even normal life changes are too much to handle like an adult.

I think Meri's grief is because she's alone in this stage of her life.   When most wives become empty nesters, their husbands are empty nesters too.  Instead, Kody has a two year old, and a slew of other younger children.   And most couples, when their only child leave home, re-discover each other, and end up spending a great deal of time together.  Again, not happening in this case.  Just another blow to Meri and her infertility problems.

I agree about Meri.  She did love having all the kids in her home on a daily basis, and Mariah was probably what drew them.  I'm an only child, and my friends almost always gathered at my home.  Now that Mariah is gone, Meri has not only lost her daughter in her daily life, but also all her siblings.  And the older kids definitely love Meri.

As to Robyn, it must be hard for her that the best times this family had, were before she ever came around.  No matter what, she will never be a part of that.  And even if it's a coincidence, the fun times ended when she came into the family.

I think Annie said she left when Christine was 5?  So I don't know what kind of happy sisterwife memories Christine has from childhood that actually involved her own mother.  I think when her mother was there there were just two wives (and she was one of them) so maybe he remarried again and she remembers THOSE moms fondly.

I'm pretty sure that Christine said the second wife came into the family when she was five.  It looks like her parents were still married when Christine graduated high school.

• Love 5

Where was Janelle in part of the couch session with Koduche and company?? I noticed she was absent but no mention of why.

I was assuming that the "couch" is in a production trailer and it went with the Browns to Utah, but since Janelle stayed in Vegas....

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Meri has to drive to Utah to pick up Mariah’s car to get it registered? What, are they boycotting giving Utah the $30 for the inspection sticker or something?

Since Mariah is a student in Utah she's probably not a permanent resident, which means her car would still be registered in her home state. Or, more likely, the car is in Meri's name, so she uses her address to keep it registered.

Aspyn is currently in her sophomore year of college, so she hasn't had several years yet. I did think it was interesting that Mykelti skipped the whole dorm experience and is living with her sister. I guess to me that's part of the whole college experience, for a year or two anyway.

Annie said she had been married 11 years when her husband married another wife, and Christine was 5. I don't remember anyone saying how much longer she stayed, but I think it was at least several more years before she finally left. I wonder how many wives he had by the time she did?