Type keyword(s) to search

Real Housewives in the Media

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,
  • Take discussions of individual housewives to their threads.
  • Watch your tone.
  • This is not the let's complain about who "ruined the show" thread.  Let's stick to media discussions. 
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I can't believe that Eboni even as arrogant as she comes across is stupid enough to demand that anyone be demoted on this show. Andy is a big fan of Leah but she is not Bethenny, and if he is convinced that she is dragging the ratings down he may have to cut her loose.  Eboni will not be fired this year. If she wants to stay she will gt another year I believe unless she refuses to rein in the race and political lectures. Sonja better watch herself. Andy always referred to Dorinda as a fan favorite and look what happened to her. Whoever is responsible for the casting this year needs to be fired. 

Well, she is arrogant enough to talk to TMZ and blame production for the ratings decline:

Eboni tells TMZ she shouldn't be the scapegoat for a declining TV audience just because she doesn't make final cut decisions about what ends up airing ... but the producers do

There's clearly a rift growing, as Eboni says she feels demonized by some of the 'housewives' and some viewers. She adds ... if some of her castmates didn't show up for shoots with microaggression, there wouldn't be a need for the constant race discussions.

Yeah, that's smart, blame production.  I'm sure they'll love that.

• Love 16
(edited)
9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I’m surprised Eboni hasn’t been making appearances with Al Sharpton. It would be worth it just to hear KKB say “Al Sharpton!!” and actually be right.

I laughed out loud.  Literally!

6 minutes ago, snarts said:

But the optics of firing the first black RHONY cast member whose first season involved educating white women (I mean supremacists) would not be good, so I would think they'd give her another season at least.  And I'd bet that season we'd see fun Kiki so she can redeem herself from the preachy unfun Eboni.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and she'll quit on her own.  I will miss her boobies though.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Have you seen the update to add this from her instagram feed?  

"These deranged bigots are just mad AF that their days of dominance are coming to an end."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXSd8kBm_L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

At least she seems to be admitting to an agenda as well as her opinion of the show she chose to join.

*Edited to add: 

Since I wrote the above based on the referenced article I have since discovered that Crystal (RHoBH) shared a nasty, racist post addressed to her.  It is possible that Eboni's instagram post was in reference to that.  The article made it appear like Eboni's post was in reference to the issues going on with RHoNY.  So only fair to consider there may be another way to view this.

Edited by ichbin
Added last paragraph
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Yeah, that's smart, blame production.  I'm sure they'll love that.

I thought she said she watched this show? Shouldn't she know that blaming production for how you are perceived by the viewers is the oldest, lamest excuse?

ETA: It's also not a very good move, strategically, if you plan to return next season, especially when you're the newbie.

Edited by SweetieDarling
no apostrophe
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I thought she said she watched this show? Shouldn't she know that blaming production for how you are perceived by the viewer's is the oldest, lamest excuse?

ETA: It's also not a very good move, strategically, if you plan to return next season, especially when you're the newbie.

She seems to be shooting her wad now. If anyone in production sees the articles or that IG post, she's good as one and done.

• Love 5

Eboni must be fired.

Anything else would be the soft bigotry of low expectations.

She is entitled to exactly the same treatment as if she bedazzled vaginas or had one leg and a creepy father. No more…no less.

She has directly and almost single handedly drove ratings down to their lowest point ever due to her behavior and effect on the cast and the audience.

Along with her wing woman Leah she needs to go.

• Love 14
On 7/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, Boo Boo said:

But would they fire Eboni after one season?  Fire the first black castmember or would they give her a redemption season?  

They can't fire Eboni.

She'd howl racism.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Maximona said:

They can't fire Eboni.

She'd howl racism.

Well, she will probably holler that no matter what happens, keep her, fire her, add 4 new housewives of color…

These same viewers she is calling name are how she gets a paycheck. The majority of these viewers watch several of the RH franchises and they seem to like Garcelle and like RHOA and RHOP.

• Love 6
On 7/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, Cosmocrush said:

But as Wendy (Williams) said this morning, Ramona is young!  Not so much in numbers but in energy/behavior. 

I just heard about this and I'm bummed.  I've watching RHONY since day one, it's always been my favorite but I'm out with Ramona. 

Sadly, I think in my fifties I'm aging out of the Bravo preferred demo  so it's not really going to matter if I quit. 

I think I've turned that same corner. I'm just not as interested or as entertained as I was in younger years. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Since I wrote the above based on the referenced article I have since discovered that Crystal (RHoBH) shared a nasty, racist post addressed to her.  It is possible that Eboni's instagram post was in reference to that.  The article made it appear like Eboni's post was in reference to the issues going on with RHoNY.  So only fair to consider there may be another way to view this.

Yes, she posted the same comment on Crystal's IG post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXFnO5pG0z/?hl=en

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Realistically, I think Leah's crass antics are contributing to the low ratings. She and Eboni together, supplemented by all the women's shrieking and flailing, are driving down viewership.

I particularly cannot tolerate high-pitched screeching and everyone screaming at once.

• Love 10
(edited)
18 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

image.png.67496f5b8e5a8d46087bdc21ef2e67a3.png

Well, she does have a point. I am sure the Producers appreciate her pointing it out, don't you think? So here's my prediction, FWIW. Assuming the ratings remain In  the tank, in spite of all these news stories designed to bring interest to the show, Eboni will quit, rather than be fired. And, need I add, blame it on racism.

Edited by chlban
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Eboni can quit, blame racism and get a gig on CNN or MSNBC or even ESPN. She is a self adsorbed one trick pony perfect for cable news.

There is no shame in it as any one note cable talking head would not make it in the Housewives. Not Rachel Maddow or Judge Janine or Meghan McCain. They don’t have the supreme talent and perspicacity of a Kenya Moore or a Tamra Judge. 

It takes a certain kind of person to star on Reality TV and Eboni is not that type of person.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm afraid Eboni is getting so much attention that Leah will fly under the radar enough to make it back on next season.  She is just as bad as Eboni and killing this show!  They both need to be fired. 

• Love 12
(edited)
54 minutes ago, stcroix said:

I'm afraid Eboni is getting so much attention that Leah will fly under the radar enough to make it back on next season.  She is just as bad as Eboni and killing this show!  They both need to be fired. 

I was thinking the same thing.  It seems unfair for recent articles to blame Eboni for all the ills this season.  Truth be told, of the two I would be happier seeing Leah leave than Eboni.  If Eboni would allow her teaching and preaching to occur more organically it would be fine. Leah  is the one I see as being the toxic member of the group. The one thing they appear to have in common is that they didn't seem to sign on to join an ensemble group so much as to dominate and alter it to their own liking.  

Edited by ichbin
grammar
  • Love 18
(edited)
17 hours ago, ichbin said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It seems unfair for recent articles to blame Eboni for all the ills this season.  Truth be told, of the two I would be happier seeing Leah leave than Eboni.  If Eboni would allow her teaching and preaching to occur more organically it would be fine. Leah  is the one I see as being the toxic member of the group. The one thing they appear to have in common is that they didn't not sign on to join an ensemble group so much as to dominate and alter it to their own liking.  

This 1000x.

Leah is really the one ruining the season for me - not Eboni.  Her drunken antics made up for it last year but not this year.

Also, I feel Eboni is the one who is capable of having legitimate relationships with the OG's.  I'm not sure Leah is mature enough. 

And, as much as it makes me sad to say, I agree with Bershan that Sonja needs to stop the clown antics - at least with this group since they are sober or not big drinkers (other than perhaps Ramona who is said to drink far more than what is shown on tv).  

To be interesting on the show anymore, Sonja would need a job of some sort. Same for Ramona for that matter. Luann at least has the cabaret gig. I think.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 9
57 minutes ago, stcroix said:

I’ve seen a lot of articles and comments about how awful Leah is, so hopefully it hasn’t gone unnoticed by TPTB. However, they don’t have a good recent track record of smart decisions.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, stcroix said:

I’ve seen a lot of articles and comments about how awful Leah is, so hopefully it hasn’t gone unnoticed by TPTB. However, they don’t have a good recent track record of smart decisions.

• Love 3
On 7/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, ichbin said:

Have you seen the update to add this from her instagram feed?  

"These deranged bigots are just mad AF that their days of dominance are coming to an end."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXSd8kBm_L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

At least she seems to be admitting to an agenda as well as her opinion of the show she chose to join.

*Edited to add: 

I'm so glad to see your eta! I was shocked that she was so combative against everyone complaining, but sticking up for Crystal makes much more sense. That dm sent to Crystal was beyond sickening.

I do sort of get her blame toward the editing, because her teachable moments are pretty much all they've shown us of her, but still...it's not real smart to bite the hand that puts you on tv. She could've been a little more diplomatic in her criticisms, but then I don't know how I'd react if people were coming at me from all corners of the internet.

Leah is exhausting with her petulance, faux emotions and contradictions. There's nothing interesting about her in my eyes.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I do sort of get her blame toward the editing,

Well, they can't show what she doesn't give them, but production in general is where I would throw primary blame. I strongly suspect they encouraged her to bring on the preaching and teaching thinking it would make good television by both instigating drama as well as possibly drawing in the woke (younger) crowd as viewers.  Leah has probably received the same type of instigation.  There is plenty of blame to be shared between production, Leah, and Eboni.  The other three are doing what they have always done.  They are team players who don't want to see the show destroyed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I do sort of get her blame toward the editing, because her teachable moments are pretty much all they've shown us of her, but still...it's not real smart to bite the hand that puts you on tv. She could've been a little more diplomatic in her criticisms, but then I don't know how I'd react if people were coming at me from all corners of the internet.

Yes and no. I do think they would have edited out more of her preaching if they had more footage of her not preaching and just being… 

Eboni has had spent many years being a commentator where she is hired to share her opinion and have actual dialogue and discussion. IMHO, she was hired as a real housewife for a silly show to do silly things at least some of the time. However, she didn’t read her job description and decided that this show was her platform (her words) and that she was hired as a talking head.
I give her some leeway because of all the events last year and important conversations we are having as a society and how she felt her voice could be used. But she was not hired to that role. She was hired to be herself and to “interact” with her coworkers. She was not hired as a commentator or a lecturer. I think she did herself a huge disservice in her approach and her recent social media posts are really off putting. 

She didn’t even try to have conversations or dialogue, she just preached, lectured and insulted her coworkers (okay, the last one was in her job description).

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Eboni fired back in a cutting Instagram post with castmate Crystal Kung Minkoff on Thursday, calling her a 'fucking queen' and adding: 'You are so loved Sis. These deranged bigots are just mad AF that their days of dominance are coming to an end… '

Way to trivialize the race problem in America, Eboni.  These women, as deranged as they are, have the right to live in an insulated world in the Upper East Side surrounded by "their own kind" if they want.  Same as you moving to Harlem to be with "your people".   

Eboni certainly sucks at helping the race problem in America.  It's not helpful to call people bigots without anything to back it up.  She's argumentative, she uses trending terms constantly and at times incorrectly.   She's jumped on the bandwagon and has no interest besides promoting herself.  Does she even have any close White friends?

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Way to trivialize the race problem in America, Eboni.  These women, as deranged as they are, have the right to live in an insulated world in the Upper East Side surrounded by "their own kind" if they want.  Same as you moving to Harlem to be with "your people".   

Eboni certainly sucks at helping the race problem in America.  It's not helpful to call people bigots without anything to back it up.  She's argumentative, she uses trending terms constantly and at times incorrectly.   She's jumped on the bandwagon and has no interest besides promoting herself.  Does she even have any close White friends?

I think Eboni was calling Crystal's race-baiter (and others like them) deranged bigots. If you've seen the communication, you'd probably agree. It was very ugly, racist rhetoric.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Andy once said that Bravo tracks internet feedback really well. I wonder if they pump data into formulas that create composites of these women relative to what fans are looking for.

I would love to know more about the "data" behind all this!.

Edited by Jextella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, ichbin said:

Well, they can't show what she doesn't give them, but production in general is where I would throw primary blame. I strongly suspect they encouraged her to bring on the preaching and teaching thinking it would make good television by both instigating drama as well as possibly drawing in the woke (younger) crowd as viewers.  Leah has probably received the same type of instigation.  There is plenty of blame to be shared between production, Leah, and Eboni.  The other three are doing what they have always done.  They are team players who don't want to see the show destroyed.

2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Yes and no. I do think they would have edited out more of her preaching if they had more footage of her not preaching and just being… 

Eboni has had spent many years being a commentator where she is hired to share her opinion and have actual dialogue and discussion. IMHO, she was hired as a real housewife for a silly show to do silly things at least some of the time. However, she didn’t read her job description and decided that this show was her platform (her words) and that she was hired as a talking head.
I give her some leeway because of all the events last year and important conversations we are having as a society and how she felt her voice could be used. But she was not hired to that role. She was hired to be herself and to “interact” with her coworkers. She was not hired as a commentator or a lecturer. I think she did herself a huge disservice in her approach and her recent social media posts are really off putting. 

She didn’t even try to have conversations or dialogue, she just preached, lectured and insulted her coworkers (okay, the last one was in her job description).

I guess I've been giving Eboni more of a pass because it is her first year, so it's all new for her, and it's so different than what she's done previously, and yes, last year had some really powerful stuff going on. 

If she stays on I wonder if the editors will come for her with the bad edit, after what's she's said, like they've done to other HW's?

What she's talked about has been interesting, and thought provoking--and yes, a little like I'm in class, lol, but I've understood why, if not always agreed with how, she's tackled it. It would've felt less forced if she talked mostly with Sonja, since she seemed receptive, (well, so did Leah with her constant bobble head nodding), or didn't push so hard that the others literally ran away from her. 

The episodes have needed more of a balance (less poop and train wreck Sonja) Eboni's media comments about 'this has been a frivolous show long enough' did sour me a little bit, since that's the entire point of these franchises, like you said SQ.

Maybe she was hired to be a spokesperson?  I can definitely see Bravo encouraging the educating, since they've had a pretty crappy track record thus far, (concerning race and LGBTQ etc), and might be wanting to change the image, but it seems all they've done is made things more divisive. 

(As for Leah, I barely pay attention to her and FFW over her a lot. She's that annoying mosquito whine by your ear in the middle of the night.)

Edited by WhatAmIWatching
moved comma to right spot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

She's jumped on the bandwagon and has no interest besides promoting herself. 

I believe this completely. Eboni is using RHONY race lecturing to advertise for a pundit spot on TV. I believe her motives are not genuine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, ichbin said:

Initially, I was fairly convinced that Eboni's lectures were encouraged by production and that she'd been hired to insert moments where the ladies could have these conversations. Then I read Eboni's response to a viewer's complaint about what a boring addition she's been to the show and if we're to believe Eboni--this season wasn't forced by production in terms of the topics that Eboni has been bringing to the table. 

According to Eboni, her tendency to force these discussions is completely on her and that what we're seeing is Eboni being her "authentic" self. (I posted a link to Eboni's response in Eboni's thread btw.) Eboni insists that she had to have these conversations first in order to get to a place with the women where they could start to have fun and talk about things that they have in common. These conversations that Eboni has forced are essentially a litmus test for the women (and anyone Eboni interacts with) because she needs to make sure that they care about racial equality--otherwise she isn't interested in engaging with them and developing these so called friendships. She says it isn't worth her time if she doesn't know that they share the same human values "along the full racial spectrum ".

If Eboni were given another season, I can't really see her dialing it back at all. She's made it clear that this is what she's interested in bringing to the table. She let the world know via social media that her race is her favorite thing about herself so it's always going to be something that she's quick to bring up. 

I am curious to see if she gets a second season. Production is in a tough spot. If they don't bring her back, the optics won't look great. If they dump her and Leah and keep Ramona, there will be some people who think this was an unfair call. If they dump all three of them then they have a much for difficult job in putting together a cast for next season. It's easier for the shows to insert one or two new faces at a time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Eboni is a show killer. If they keep her they will totally destroy this show.

They simply can not drop Ramona and keep Eboni and Leah. The recent articles in the Daily Mail reflect that as production leaks what their current thoughts are with respect to the cast.

It is conceivable that they can drop all three and bring back some alumni. I imagine if they brought back Dorinda and Tinsley they might generate some heat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Production is in a tough spot. If they don't bring her back, the optics won't look great.

The fact they have delayed production of the next season until 2022 is telling.  They know it cannot proceed with the current cast.  I think production has backed itself into a corner with Eboni.  She's obviously not been a good match for this particular show.  Unless she has been offered something more lucrative/attention getting I doubt she will decide to leave on her own because, let's face it, she would get a ton of publicity if she is not picked up for a second season. If the show goes on I think the chances of her being removed are miniscule.  My fear is that Bravo handles this debacle of their own making by deciding to end this franchise completely rather than continue dealing with declining ratings which probably would not have been the case had there been better casting decisions.  This mess is on the shoulders of production and not the OG cast.

2 hours ago, Feech said:

It is conceivable that they can drop all three and bring back some alumni. I imagine if they brought back Dorinda and Tinsley they might generate some heat.

A ratings winner would be to bring back the old.  No doubt in my mind about that.  It would not surprise me at all if I were to hear that Bethenny is in negotiations along with some other OG's.  

They should be able to drop Leah without any problems considering what she has shown this season.   Eboni would shine brighter in a Harlem based show with a new cast.   

There are options here for most of them, particularly utilizing Peacock like they already are for the all-star edition.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, ichbin said:

There are options here for most of them, particularly utilizing Peacock like they already are for the all-star edition.

Wait what?  All Star HW's?!  I must have missed this - please tell!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

Yea they all stayed in a house for two weeks.

They were supposed to be filmed in Atlanta but Eboni forced them to move it to Denver.

• LOL 6
(edited)
On 7/15/2021 at 7:43 PM, snarts said:

I don't believe she said this. I need more proof.  I like to think Eboni is smart enough to not go there. Bad-mouthing production, Bravo, and Andy has been a death knell for many.  

As much as Eboni may not like her fragile white castmates, the platform is HUGE and offers her MANY great connections.

She has to know on some level that her constant racial discussions contributed to declining ratings, but she also has to know others are being talked about as reasons why as well, e.g. Leah, Ramona and Sonja in particular. 

Assuming Eboni knows she is not the sole reason for the decline in ratings, complaining about production doesn't make sense.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:46 PM, Maximona said:

They can't fire Eboni.

She'd howl racism.

I like Eboni, but probably. 

On 7/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, ichbin said:

The fact they have delayed production of the next season until 2022 is telling.

Has this been confirmed?

Edited by Jextella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

16 hours ago, ichbin said:

I wonder if this is signalling the end. See the section entitled "Future"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Housewives

Future
On December 2, 2016 ... Cohen also stated that an All Star edition would serve as an end-goal for the franchise when ratings begin to drop. He added that it would likely feature eight housewives with "big personalities" from each series on an island together.

• Useful 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

Future
On December 2, 2016 ... Cohen also stated that an All Star edition would serve as an end-goal for the franchise when ratings begin to drop. He added that it would likely feature eight housewives with "big personalities" from each series on an island together.

Whoever wrote that took liberties with what he actually stated. The cited source for that is this is interview he did with Rupaul and recounted in this article.

And what of an “Real Housewives: All Stars” spinoff, featuring the biggest personalities from each city, Cohen laughed off the idea.

“The shows are still doing really, really well,” Cohen said. “So when they really start petering out, we’ll just throw eight of them on an island.”

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Jextella said:

Future

49 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Whoever wrote that took liberties with what he actually stated. The cited source for that is this is interview he did with Rupaul and recounted in this article.

Interesting. 

Although both lean to the notion that the island show may signal an end - or at least an end of the HW franchise as we know it.

• Love 4
On 7/15/2021 at 9:32 PM, Jextella said:

I think I've turned that same corner. I'm just not as interested or as entertained as I was in younger years. 

NYC is the only one I'm still watching but I can't imagine these housewives shows would attract a younger crowd.   There are way too many reality shows that portray people their own age and have more in common with.   Exactly what age is he going for?   

• Love 10
On 7/17/2021 at 6:44 PM, Feech said:

Yea they all stayed in a house for two weeks.

They were supposed to be filmed in Atlanta but Eboni forced them to move it to Denver.

Eboni was not in all-stars and it filmed in the Caribbean.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
On 7/17/2021 at 11:43 AM, Feech said:

They simply can not drop Ramona and keep Eboni and Leah. 

If they want to, they will, and the Bravo world will keep turning. Eboni and Leah reflect our current times. I don’t know how many more Ramona scenes zeroing in on her poop stains viewers can take. Or nonexistent scenes of her dating life. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, chewycandy said:

If they want to, they will, and the Bravo world will keep turning. Eboni and Leah reflect our current times. I don’t know how many more Ramona scenes zeroing in on her poop stains viewers can take. Or nonexistent scenes of her dating life. 

Of course they can if they want their ratings to fall even more. 

I think cooler heads will prevail and they will revamp by bringing in alumni  as they did on OC. 

Leah and Eboni are just too toxic. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Feech said:

Of course they can if they want their ratings to fall even more. 

I think cooler heads will prevail and they will revamp by bringing in alumni  as they did on OC. 

Leah and Eboni are just too toxic. 

I did read there was talk about bringing Beth back. God, no. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11