Type keyword(s) to search

Real Housewives in the Media

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,
  • Take discussions of individual housewives to their threads.
  • Watch your tone.
  • This is not the let's complain about who "ruined the show" thread.  Let's stick to media discussions. 
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I think evil is a bit much...

Yeah. Preachy, sanctimonious, and boring as hell. No actual proof she is evil, but she needs to go, along with Leah.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, ichbin said:

Occurred to me too.  Not only to test the waters but also possibly put the fear in Ramona to prepare for contract negotiations offering a lower salary.  Also not ruling out a play for better ratings. I always thought that advertising fees are based upon those numbers. I definitely think there is a reason for something like this to "leak".  It's not unusual. Just recently I remember hearing that some of the Jersey cast was axed but that apparently was false. Regardless of politics or leanings, the one thing I do believe is that Bravo is going to make decisions primarily based on $$.  

Good points.  

I also think Bravo makes casting decisions based on $$, but I can't help but think that now-a-days, that means so much more than just viewer numbers. Social media, etc. Just look at all of us talking up a storm about Ramona casting rumors.

I would love to see their $$ formulas!

I also think Bravo has an eye to the future. They're thinking a few seasons ahead necessarily. So, while there may be those who dislike Leah and Eboni in the current context of the show, there may be some logic in keeping them if the show is revamped for more of a downtown vibe (which I've read is likely to happen).

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

So reading between the lines of that article, Bravo will be bringing back Eboni and Leah next season to move in the direction they want the show to go and that direction doesn't include Ramona.  

I'm not (and never have been) a Ramona fan, but if Leah and Eboni are returning, this franchise will be off my list. 

So Bravo wants the show to go in the direction of a rolling dumpster fire to hell? Good to know

• LOL 12
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Good points.  

I also think Bravo makes casting decisions based on $$, but I can't help but think that now-a-days, that means so much more than just viewer numbers. Social media, etc. Just look at all of us talking up a storm about Ramona casting rumors.

I would love to see their $$ formulas!

I also think Bravo has an eye to the future. They're thinking a few seasons ahead necessarily. So, while there may be those who dislike Leah and Eboni in the current context of the show, there may be some logic in keeping them if the show is revamped for more of a downtown vibe (which I've read is likely to happen).

I agree and I stand firm in my theory that Bravo is making decisions based upon Twitter, versus real market research. Twitter only reflects people with loud voices and their retweets, and is a very small, narrow demographic of viewers, If they went on forums like this and these types of forums on other sights, they might form a different conclusion.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I agree and I stand firm in my theory that Bravo is making decisions based upon Twitter, versus real market research. Twitter only reflects people with loud voices and their retweets, and is a very small, narrow demographic of viewers, If they went on forums like this and these types of forums on other sights, they might form a different conclusion.

Not just Bravo, I think Hollywood is starting to make decisions based off of Twitter, and it's a detriment to quality entertainment. 

And, no, this has nothing to do with diversity and giving opportunity to showcase different voices, as storytelling and entertainment - when authentic and done well - at the end of the day is universal and something we can all find a connection to. But the paint-by-numbers, box-checking, leash-tightening decisions being made out of fear that someone on Twitter will write a think piece about why XYZ is "problematic", thus encouraging a small but loud like-minded mob to pile on because anything goes when you're virtually anonymous, is - for lack of a better word - a buzzkill. 

Nothing is perfect. No one is ever going to be 100% satisfied with a piece of art or entertainment in whatever form it comes in. There's always going to be something that bothers someone. You're never going to make everyone happy. But this weird unachievable "purity" standard that Twitter has cultivated is doing more harm than good. 

For Housewives, Bravo has years of content to know what works. Stick with what works. Once it stops working, maybe that's a sign that it's time to end. Nothing is meant to last forever. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Not just Bravo, I think Hollywood is starting to make decisions based off of Twitter, and it's at the detriment to quality entertainment. 

And, no, this has nothing to do with diversity and giving opportunity to showcase different voices, as storytelling and entertainment - when authentic and done well - at the end of the day is universal and something we can all find a connection to. But the paint-by-numbers, box-checking, leash-tightening decisions being made out of fear that someone on Twitter will write a think piece about why XYZ is "problematic", thus encouraging a small but loud like-minded mob to pile one because anything goes when you're virtually anonymous, is - for lack of a better word - a buzzkill. 

Nothing is perfect. No one is ever going to be 100% satisfied with a piece of art or entertainment in whatever form it comes in. There's always going to be something that bothers someone. You're never going to make everyone happy. But this weird unachievable "purity" standard that Twitter has cultivated is doing more harm than good. 

For Housewives, Bravo has years of content to know what works. Stick with what works. Once it stops working, maybe that's a sign that it's time to end. Nothing is meant to last forever. 

You said this so more eloquently than I did. It is not just Hollywood, businesses are making decisions based upon Tweets from a very narrow part of their consumers.

It really stuns me that this is the way decisions are being made by Hollywood, businesses, and politicians of all stripes these days. It’s not about the majority, it’s about who is the “loudest” on social media. 
None of these can result are great results in the long run.

versus actual market forces

• Love 14

I don't have a problem with Ramona leaving. She's really kind of boring and redundant at this point...plus she's been on this show forever. It's time to move on from her. "Turtle Time" seems like ions ago...and that was when she was married and had a kid at home. Now she's just a sad Upper Eastside divorcee looking for love on dating apps and spending her evenings alone at home with her dog and a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

But as Wendy (Williams) said this morning, Ramona is young!  Not so much in numbers but in energy/behavior. 

I just heard about this and I'm bummed.  I've watching RHONY since day one, it's always been my favorite but I'm out with Ramona. 

Sadly, I think in my fifties I'm aging out of the Bravo preferred demo  so it's not really going to matter if I quit. 

I didn't mean to sound ageist (I'm old!) but I think as spry as she is and as good as she looks, she's aging out of the demographic that they want.  

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

I didn't mean to sound ageist (I'm old!) but I think as spry as she is and as good as she looks, she's aging out of the demographic that they want.  

Oh no, I think you are exactly right.  I just meant that Bravo isn't that interested in viewers my age either. 

Interesting that Bravo thinks viewers are over watching older white women behaving badly but enjoy watching younger white women behaving even worse - like Leah.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I don't have a problem with Ramona leaving. She's really kind of boring and redundant at this point...plus she's been on this show forever. It's time to move on from her. "Turtle Time" seems like ions ago...and that was when she was married and had a kid at home. Now she's just a sad Upper Eastside divorcee looking for love on dating apps and spending her evenings alone at home with her dog and a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Actually, one of the things I like about Ramona is the fact that we’ve seen her go through all these life changes, as most of us do.  I like that about Luann as well.

• Love 19

I can’t believe Bravo didn’t see this coming.  What feedback I see here, on Reddit, Twitter and Instagram is largely negative due to Eboni and Leah.  If what we are reading in the DM article is true, where does Eboni get off insisting Ramona be a “friend of”?  Eboni and Leah live in small apartments and there in no real money there.  I started watching to see wealth woman living the life.

• Love 11

We're so accustomed to "fun" in NYC in contrast to the other cities that if the fun is gone, I may be gone too.

I'm down to RHONY and RHOBH (and only because of the arrivals of Crystal, Sutton, Garcelle, & Kathy)

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

... Eboni and Leah live in small apartments and there in no real money there.  I started watching to see wealth woman living the life.

Great point.  I don't want to see HWs who make their living off this show.  I want to see women who already have money on this show.   Right now, that's really only Ramona.  Sonja appears to be grandfathered in because she did have a bunch of money when she started.   Same with Lu, although Lu clearly has more money than Sonja. 

• Love 18
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mar said:

The person added, ‘The Countess is uncomfortable to film with Eboni as she is concerned that she will be made to look like a racist for speaking up when she felt defamed in her own home.”

So Lu is still on that?  Also, I think the year she showed up at a costume party wearing  an Afro wig and blackface said more about that than anything Eboni said about education. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They are regurgitating a Daily Mail article which is called they Daily Fail for a reason. 

Radar which is also frequently wrong is saying that Ramona is refusing to come to the reunion and that is why it’s on hold.

This makes no sense anyway so I suspect it's false. How does postponing the reunion help ratings? Just get it over with. Last year OC was a disaster, although still not as bad as the Leah and Eboni show, so they only had a 2 part reunion. That would seem more plausible to me.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/13/2021 at 4:13 PM, Hiyo said:

I think evil is a bit much...

I think it's not enough!  

EXCLUSIVE: Real Housewives Of New York reunion and season 14 filming DELAYED amid plummeting ratings and cast chaos: 'All hell is breaking loose behind the scenes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9788773/RHONY-reunion-season-14-filming-DELAYED-amid-plummeting-ratings-cast-chaos.html

From the article:

Last week the Bravo show recorded its lowest rated episode of all-time, earning only 764,000 live viewers. (The only episodes rated lower were the 'secrets' recap episodes for season seven and 12.)

The source continued: 'Our viewers don't want to be lectured to. They want a fun show – tipsy, middle aged women with money fighting about petty stuff. Yes – let's talk about the important issues facing our nation – but this cannot be the center of our show.' 

I really hope this means that Bravo gets it and makes some changes, like getting rid of Leah and Eboni.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 13

In the Daily Mail article they sat that Eboni demanded that they make Ramona a “friend” of the Housewives next season and that they base the show around Eboni. 

Sounds about right from what we have seen from the Evil Eboni.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

The person added, ‘The Countess is uncomfortable to film with Eboni as she is concerned that she will be made to look like a racist for speaking up when she felt defamed in her own home.”

So Lu is still on that?  Also, I think the year she showed up at a costume party wearing  an Afro wig and blackface said more about that then anything Eboni said about education. 

She still refers to herself as “The Countess????”   🙄🙄🙄

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Thumper said:

No The Daily Mail quoting someone who may or may not exist refers to her as The Countess.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Heh.   I think she can't legally be the Countess since she got remarried, but I've seen her on shows where she clearly likes being called that, including WWHL. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, oakville said:

I don't believe that firing Ramona will improve ratings .

Those in charge apparently don't have a lick of sense if they think that Ramona is the sole reason that their ratings are tanking.  I stand by my assessment that all of the HWs shows have jumped the shark.  Some of them were pretty great in their prime, but the crap that they're putting out now isn't what I want to see.  It was fun while it lasted. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Those in charge apparently don't have a lick of sense if they think that Ramona is the sole reason that their ratings are tanking.  I stand by my assessment that all of the HWs shows have jumped the shark.  Some of them were pretty great in their prime, but the crap that they're putting out now isn't what I want to see.  It was fun while it lasted. 

Sad but true.   Plus, if those in charge had any sense they wouldn't have renewed Leah for a second season. 

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

True, plus Ramona has been on for how many seasons now, yet the ratings are bad just this year? 🤔 Wonder what they were last year?

I think it may be a combo of covid, heavy topics, lots of fighting and backstabbing without the lighter filler stuff in between to cleanse the palate--which is prob partly covid, too, now that I'm typing it out.

It's all been just lead-ins to fighting or Sonja off the rails again. (LOL autocorrect tried to type IBS instead of 'ins'..maybe Autoc knows what Ramona's poo problem is?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I think it's not enough!  

EXCLUSIVE: Real Housewives Of New York reunion and season 14 filming DELAYED amid plummeting ratings and cast chaos: 'All hell is breaking loose behind the scenes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9788773/RHONY-reunion-season-14-filming-DELAYED-amid-plummeting-ratings-cast-chaos.html

From the article:

Last week the Bravo show recorded its lowest rated episode of all-time, earning only 764,000 live viewers. (The only episodes rated lower were the 'secrets' recap episodes for season seven and 12.)

The source continued: 'Our viewers don't want to be lectured to. They want a fun show – tipsy, middle aged women with money fighting about petty stuff. Yes – let's talk about the important issues facing our nation – but this cannot be the center of our show.' 

I really hope this means that Bravo gets it and makes some changes, like getting rid of Leah and Eboni.  

Exactly.

I wonder if the fan reaction to the news of Ramona's supposed firing has gotten the attention of the execs (in addition to low ratings).  

Eboni is a fucking drag.  All you need to do is look at how Garcelle adds to RHOBH.  She's had a good discussion with Kyle on harmful stereotypes and how that made her feel.  And then is a great time.

There's a way to talk about the obvious oppression that has occurred and racial issues without it being what happened RHONY.

But would they fire Eboni after one season?  Fire the first black castmember or would they give her a redemption season?  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 10
On 7/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, CSunshine76 said:

I really hope the rumors of Moaner being fired are false. If she’s out, so am I. Ramona is NOT the problem with this season! I can’t quit that woman and her crazy ways! 

I can see Ramona being the first one out if they are going in a different direction.  But then Sonya and Luanne won't really fit.  Eboni is boring.  Leah is gross.  I would love to see better casting.  Women from all different boroughs with husbands and children.  Getting all the women from Manhattan is part of the problem.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I can see Ramona being the first one out if they are going in a different direction.  But then Sonya and Luanne won't really fit.  Eboni is boring.  Leah is gross.  I would love to see better casting.  Women from all different boroughs with husbands and children.  Getting all the women from Manhattan is part of the problem.  

If this show were to be revamped, I'd rather see the adult children -- Ramona, Sonja, Lu -- along with a mix of some 30 somethings become the cast members with the moms featured in a friends of type of role.   

Seeing the adult children navigate city life would be interesting to me and we'd still get to see the OGs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Feech said:

In the Daily Mail article they sat that Eboni demanded that they make Ramona a “friend” of the Housewives next season and that they base the show around Eboni. 

Sounds about right from what we have seen from the Evil Eboni.

How is Edoni demanding anything?  When have we heard of a newbie demanding anything!  I cannot imagine how they can dump Eboni without it turning into a big racial issue.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

How is Edoni demanding anything?  When have we heard of a newbie demanding anything!  I cannot imagine how they can dumb Eboni without it turning into a big racial issue.

Eboni is supremely arrogant. Have you not seen her a n WWHL? She said she was going to peddle her views regardless of what the show has been about for the past ten years. She said these “white women were allowed to have this show and she was going to change it.” Her sense of entitlement is boundless.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I can't believe that Eboni even as arrogant as she comes across is stupid enough to demand that anyone be demoted on this show. Andy is a big fan of Leah but she is not Bethenny, and if he is convinced that she is dragging the ratings down he may have to cut her loose.  Eboni will not be fired this year. If she wants to stay she will gt another year I believe unless she refuses to rein in the race and political lectures. Sonja better watch herself. Andy always referred to Dorinda as a fan favorite and look what happened to her. Whoever is responsible for the casting this year needs to be fired. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Feech said:

She said these “white women were allowed to have this show and she was going to change it.” 

She certainly sounds like she has a giant chip on her shoulder.  I got tired of her little rants about "white women this, and white women that" and on and on.  It's really offensive.  Andy's a dolt if he can't figure out what the problem with this show is. 

To Eboni:  These kinds of shows aren't the gold standard to which you should be striving to be a part of.  It's a shitfest, but one that a lot of us have a lot of fun following and snarking on.  I don't need you to preach your agenda to me.  Might I suggest that you write a book, or do some kind of meaningful documentary as to your issues with our society, and leave these kinds of shows to us viewers who just want an escape from our day, not a lecture.   I don't need to be told that "WE" need to do better.  No, I do just fine.   Just let me watch my damn show in peace!!  I wish she and Leah hadn't ruined it for me.  

• Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

How is Edoni demanding anything?  When have we heard of a newbie demanding anything!  I cannot imagine how they can dump Eboni without it turning into a big racial issue.

I think the only way around it is if they cut both Leah and Eboni loose and re-hire some retreads.

Then frame it as a generational issue and that they’re getting the band back together.

Hello, Jill/Carole/Dorinda.

Cobble together some 1/2 hour BS show for Leah and Eboni and call it a day.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

I have no doubt Eboni will turn it into a big racial issue.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is all so wierd. Eboni was on WWHL awhile ago (when things were still remote) and she said that Luann is the only one she doesn't see socially.

And when Sonja and Leah were on WWHL earlier this month, I thought Andy said Leah, Eboni and Ramona where hanging out.

I wonder if something has changed.

I could easily do without a reunion this season.  In fact, I'd rather have the show be more "getting along and having fun" through the season and just doing a mini season wrap up.

Leah demanded a larger salary to come back for her second season and got it. I can easily see Eboni making demands. She may very well get them. 

But, Eboni and Leah better be careful what they ask for. RIght now, they kind of stand out against the older women.  Replace the OG's with women of Eboni's and Leah's age and they'll just be fishes in the sea and honestly, in NYC, there are loads of far more accomplished women than these two. Leah and Eboni could easily turn into the guppies of the show.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, bosawks said:

I think the only way around it is if they cut both Leah and Eboni loose and re-hire some retreads.

Then frame it as a generational issue and that they’re getting the band back together.

Hello, Jill/Carole/Dorinda.

Cobble together some 1/2 hour BS show for Leah and Eboni and call it a day.

Whatever happened to those Princesses of Long Island, or whatever that show was. Shouldn't they be "housewife" age by now? I suppose they're too white but ANY of them would fit better than Eboni and her lectures, and it would be fun to watch Leah's head explode having to deal with them, though I prefer her gone too.

• Love 9

I've been waffling on Leah for awhile, but I think I've figured it out. Last year, I enjoyed her (for the most part) & thought she was fun and interesting.  This year, peeling away the drunken antics layer, what remains isn't all that great.

She's whiny and judgmental and a bigger know-it-all than Heather.

And I don't find any of her observations to be interesting or compelling.

She really doesn't add much intellectual or entertainment value to the show. She's more of an annoyance than anything.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

I’m surprised Eboni hasn’t been making appearances with Al Sharpton. It would be worth it just to hear KKB say “Al Sharpton!!” and actually be right.

Al Sharpton is probably not interested.

1 hour ago, SweetieDarling said:

Whatever happened to those Princesses of Long Island, or whatever that show was. Shouldn't they be "housewife" age by now? I suppose they're too white but ANY of them would fit better than Eboni and her lectures, and it would be fun to watch Leah's head explode having to deal with them, though I prefer her gone too.

I am embarassed to admit I remember that show 😀

• LOL 4