Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Try Pyramidcollection.com - they also have a catalog - I like the fact that they have "goddess" sizes and things are super comfy.  I am also drooling over their winter boot/shoe collection, but that's just me.

I know I've mentioned them before but another site I like is Holy Clothing. I have a bunch of their dresses and tops, and they are really comfortable. The only thing is that they can't go in the dryer, but if you hand wash them or do them in the gentle cycle and hang them up outside on a breezy day, the wrinkles mostly blow out. I just love their Boho styles

https://holyclothing.com/collections/all-dresses

• Love 2
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Vermont Country Store also has a lot of options for lightweight, loose-fitting dresses.  If you want something a little fancier, try Soft Surroundings, but they can be pricey.

I'm a sucker for Vermont Country Store's sweetly printed, pintucked, tiny buttoned, laced and beribboned lawn nightgowns!  I'm embarrassed how many I own.  They remind me of Victorian day dresses.

• Love 3

Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions. I ordered a variety to see what will work. None with a modesty ruffle. I do like the idea of something more dress like. I will still have to get out of the house and be “mommy Uber” as I call it. Once I wean off the pain meds of course!

• Love 2
On 6/6/2018 at 10:05 AM, Mindthinkr said:

For sleep has anyone tried a tea made by Celestial Seasonings called Sleepy Time? 

I drink it regularly. It does help a little. I also take ambien regularly. Insomnia sucks. 

My mom used to take valerian root to sleep. I never tried it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I drink it regularly. It does help a little. I also take ambien regularly. Insomnia sucks. 

My mom used to take valerian root to sleep. I never tried it.

I've almost weaned myself off of 15 years of prescription sleeping pills to Valerian Root with good success.

• Love 3

'"SOoooo, OK...here's something totally out of left field, but this topic is for pretty much any random thing, right?

I've been down a rabbit-hole today (other than going over Mom's  to plant some roses, and at my daughter's to babysit the grand-Jynlet - I do still have a life! LOL). But this thing showed up on facebook this morning which I foolishly clicked on.

It was a list of common "false memories" AKA "the Mandela effect", and most were easy enough to understand; things which have been commonly misquoted so much that the misquote seems true (like, "Play it again, Sam"), or people being sure that the correct spelling of the children's books is "The Berenstein Bears", which would simply be a more commonplace spelling of "Berenstain". Even the source or the Mandela effect himself, Nelson Mandela, who so many people were sure died in jail somewhere along the way is understandable - I mean, he was in jail for 30 years and was not heard of all that much during that time. His wife died along the way, and many people believed they had heard of him passing away as well. I'll admit that until he started coming back to the forefront I was somewhat surprised that he was still alive myself.

But the thing on the list which totally threw me was reference to the movie, "Shazaam" starring Sinbad as a genie, as never having actually existed. 

I remember watching this movie on TV one evening. I don't remember the particulars or the plot. It must have been a couple of years after it supposedly came out (believed to be 1994) because it wasn't a rental, but was on maybe the Disney channel or something. And the reason I remember it is that a couple of days later I happened to have a rather erotic dream featuring Sinbad, which puzzled and kind of amused me as I'd never thought of him THAT way, but it did cause me to look at other movies of his (he had a minor run of Disney-type fare about that time) with slightly more interest.

The supposed explanation for so many people remembering the Sinbad movie is a mix of there being a movie called "Kazaam" with Shaquille  O'Neal as a genie (I remember that movie being out, never watched it, and vaguely remember being puzzled as to why a movie with so similar a title and premise would be out so soon afterwards), and Sinbad, at one point hosting a marathon of "Sinbad the Sailor" films dressed in an outfit with an open vest and turban reminiscent of Genie-fashion. But, as I said, I never saw either of these things and had no reason to remember them if I had.

It might be easy enough to buy this, especially since no trace of the movie seems to exist. A conspiracy to bury it, for instance, might cover many bases, but it's stretching it to think that it could rid the world of any surviving copies of the film - yet there have been sizeable rewards out for uncovering any if the exist. Even Snopes has concluded that anyone who remembers seeing it is a victim of the Mandela Effect.

Amusingly, a video clip surfaced a few years ago of the beginning of this purported movie, which Sinbad himself was part of as an April Fool's prank. There is also a fake trailer for the film out there made using a mashup of clips from "Kazaam" and Sinbad's "The First Kid"

There are theories out there going so far as to blame the Hadron Collider for opening up paths to alternate universes resulting in some of the general sort of Mandela Effect false memories. But that seems to be waaaaay too far out there even for me.

So, anyway, does anyone here ever remember seeing "Shazaam"??

Sorry this turned into such a novel...It's just been driving me batty all day!

• Love 5

1) OH MY GOSH, @MyPeopleAreNordic, you’re BAAAACK!!!  I’m sorry you’ve had a rough road, but so so happy you’re feeling at least well enough to check in and update.  So right now, this very second, go find @Arwen Evenstar.  I am truly beginning to get a very icky feeling about her.  I want her back.

2) I have several “floppy” but ooooooh so comfortable summer dresses.   I have several - my faves are t-shirt knit and a little cinched at the waist.   I highly recommend owning at least one, and here’s why.  It’s a dress, and when your daughter (son, whatever) calls you at 9:15 to remind you that your granddaughter is about to sing (participate in the county spelling bee, whatever) at 9:30, you can throw that sucker over your head, slap on your sandals and be out the door.  Game changer!!! Although I have to admit this only solves one of my issues - I have hair that takes serious taming before I show up at a grand’s event.  

3) @Jynnan tonnix - I used to have dreams/nightmares about the Duggars all the time and I don’t think I’ve ever watched a full episode of that show.  I don’t any more, but I seriously, honestly used to dream about Jana alllllll the time.  I was always trying to get her out.  (I’m being completely serious).  I don’t, in fact, remember the Shazaam thing - but I don’t need to remember that, as everyone knows Gomer Pyle  was OBVIOUSLY the originator of “shaazaaaaam!”

• Love 7
(edited)

What a fun morning. I ran out of gas for the first time ever while on my way to a counseling appointment. I thought I had enough gas to make it, but my car died on the interstate between East Helena and Helena. Luckily my husband was home. Of course I had no cell phone and did not have the number to call my therapist to let her know I was running late. A business near the area where my car died was nice enough to let me use their phone to call my hubby. A sheriff deputy drove by, but he was on the way to assist a highway patrol trooper who had pulled someone over down the road. I wanted to go up to the both of them to ask for help, but it is cool and raining outside. My therapist was worried about me and called my house, but we turned off the answering machine because of all the blasted scam callers and telemarketers leaving messages. I ended up having a fifteen minute session. I swear my brain has turn into mush the last few months. Hard lesson to learn. My focus is not what it use to be. Usually I am at least ten minutes early for my appointments. Hopefully the rest of the week will run smoother.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Hopefully the rest of the week will run smoother.

I wish this for you as well. Since you are normally early I’m sure that your therapist understands that this is not avoidance or usual on your part. Not that it changed the almighty billable hour though. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Hopefully the rest of the week will run smoother.

i sure hope so.  

first, i got my first 'super' post with 25 likes and a bright pink outline!!! so excited....its the small things, ya know.

and also, took a long drive today to clear my head.  i could have been in phoenix in the same number of hours. i chose to go exploring (i called drives that when my kids were young). i didnt find the antique/junk stores i was looking for but i saw some parts of so-cali i have never seen before.  home now, easy dinner planned and i see nap in the near future.......have a good evening, lovelies!

• Love 16

Here we go again! It has been raining on and off since Sunday night leading to more flooding. One of the small towns in the county where I live has closed off the roads leading into town. And they have said all the moisture we are getting now my lead to another nasty fire season starting next month. I think mother nature in Montana is off her rocker.

bigskygirl, i am hoping to not run into any big storms when i leave for my annual summer trek to see the grandsons in texas. you will know when that is since i wont be able to post here as i travel but will check in when i return. i can only keep up with a few things using my phone and dont have a tablet anymore.

• Love 3

@bigskygirl I’ve been getting a lot of photos from my brother and his wife. They celebrated 50 years of marriage and are in Montana. I was wondering why they always seem to have long sleeves and rain gear on. 

Stay dry, but not too dry in case of fires. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm free I'm free teen Tron left last week For a visit in Massachusetts for Grandpop then he's going to stay in Texas at Grandmom's Ranch and then after that he's going to visit his best friend in New Mexico. This morning I dropped off boy Tron at the bus for his overnight camping experience now my food bill is going to go way  down ???

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 18
11 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I'm free I'm free teen Tron left last week For a visit in Massachusetts for Grandpop then he's going to stay in Texas at Grandmom's Ranch and then after that he's going to visit his best friend in New Mexico. This morning I dropped off boy Tron at the bus for his overnight camping experience now my food bill is going to go way  down ???

How is your son doing who had the brain tumor?  Is he back to his normal routine and activity level?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

How is your son doing who had the brain tumor?  Is he back to his normal routine and activity level?

Yes just dropped him off this morning for the bus to overnight camp.

• Love 12

I have been thinking about how fun it might be if one of us had Sims 3 or Sims 4 to build a town fill of Duggars. Imagine the fights you could have. You could actually send the kids off to school or college and have a say so in how many kids couples could have or if one of the older kids gets married. Yes, I admit I have a weird imagination at times.

The hubby and I do not have cable right now. I admit I miss the TCM old movie channel right now. I love watching the old movies instead of the crappy movies they come out with now.

57 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I have been thinking about how fun it might be if one of us had Sims 3 or Sims 4 to build a town fill of Duggars. Imagine the fights you could have. You could actually send the kids off to school or college and have a say so in how many kids couples could have or if one of the older kids gets married. Yes, I admit I have a weird imagination at times.

I’m torn between “I’d play the hell out of that” and “Maybe spending too much time around here.” ???

• Love 10

Sorry to change the subject but I would like to please mention that under the heading “Everything Else” I began a topic about aches and pains. I’m hurting right now and don’t want to burden anyone but would love place to vent so I began it. Join me in venting, I’m willing to hear (and pray) about yours. 

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sorry to change the subject but I would like to please mention that under the heading “Everything Else” I began a topic about aches and pains. I’m hurting right now and don’t want to burden anyone but would love place to vent so I began it. Join me in venting, I’m willing to hear (and pray) about yours. 

I couldn't  find it. Does it take a day or two to show  up?

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I don’t know. I just began the thread a few hours ago and it might take time to be approved by th mods and deemed a worthy thread. I hope to see you there, but also hope that it’s not because you are in pain. 

• Love 3
On 6/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

(I also posted this in the Teen Mom small talk threads as I also hang out there a lot. Apologies if you’re seeing it more than once.)

Buddies! I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long! I’ve missed y’all! Thank you so much for all the love & thoughts! I’m sorry that I wasn’t here for a while to tell y’all I’m okay! 

It’s been a month since my  oophorectomy & hysterectomy. The recovery hasn’t been quite as easy as I hoped - one of my incisions on my stomach split open a week post-op & was infected (but is now much better). I saw my doctor this past week & my internal incision (at the top of my vagina) isn’t healing as quickly as it should. She thinks this is because I was severely anemic for months prior, so my internal areas are taking longer to heal. I have to continue to rest & still can’t lift my toddlers. But I can drive, so yay for that. I’ve been much more tired than I expected in the weeks after surgery, even too tired to really follow TM drama....but each day I feel stronger. 

While my doctor did the surgery because of my ovaries, the pathology on my uterus showed pre-cancerous cells (even though a previous uterine biopsy came back normal), adenomyosis (which is essentially endometriosis inside the uterus; it probably caused my severe anemia), & my uterus was slightly enlarged. I‘m so thankful for my doctors who told me what I was experiencing was not normal & took my family history of ovarian & endometrial cancer seriously. They saved my life. Because they were proactive, they got it all and took out my uterus with pre-cancerous cells (& that had caused my anemia). I don’t have to have chemo or radiation or anything - YAY! I do have to see the hematologist-oncologist again in a few months for a check-up, though.

I can’t find the words to express how thankful & overwhelmed with love I am for everything ya’ll have done for my family & me. Thank you, friends & family, for the well wishes, love, support, donations, & messages. I’m sorry for not individually thanking everyone, but please know that I am so very thankful to all of ya’ll here. 

Thank you all again. I am so lucky for so many reasons - many of those reasons are YA’LL.  

I’m sorry if this was random gibberish - I hope it makes some sense. I’m really at a loss for words for how thankful and lucky I am. 

Sweetie!!! Thank you for sharing this great news!! Hope you are feeling better and better!

• Love 4
On 6/18/2018 at 6:44 PM, zoomama said:

i sure hope so.  

first, i got my first 'super' post with 25 likes and a bright pink outline!!! so excited....its the small things, ya know.

and also, took a long drive today to clear my head.  i could have been in phoenix in the same number of hours. i chose to go exploring (i called drives that when my kids were young). i didnt find the antique/junk stores i was looking for but i saw some parts of so-cali i have never seen before.  home now, easy dinner planned and i see nap in the near future.......have a good evening, lovelies!

Your comment about driving around southern California really got my attention.  Man, how sweet that would be. I've long dreamed of driving around CA in a convertible, sunglasses, wind in my hair and listening to America sing Ventura Highway.  (oldie)  It just takes me to days long ago.  I've only been to CA once, back in 1990, but circumstances didn't allow me to have my Ventura Highway experience. lol 

• Love 2
(edited)

I know this is such a petty #firstworldproblems complaint, but I just went to the drive-thru at Sonic to grab some lunch and they forgot to put a peppermint in my bag! Dammit. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

I just figured something out. We're good for another five more seasons at least of counting on. Because there is at least two weddings and three babies. Yes I know there is only two people pregnant right now but there is always the new couple.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I just figured something out. We're good for another five more seasons at least of counting on. Because there is at least two weddings and three babies. Yes I know there is only two people pregnant right now but there is always the new couple.

Will America hold together for that long? I think two years is more realistic. 

• Love 9

Howdy everyone! It has been a rough week. I ended up going to the ER Tuesday afternoon because I was seriously stressed out. The anxiety and depression were kicking in to the point where I could not focus and was scared something bad was going to happen (no thoughts of harming myself or someone else, and I want to keep it that way.) After talking with the Crisis Intervention Counselor, I decided to go a Crisis Stabilization Home Tuesday afternoon to be able to relax and start feeling better. It was not an easy decision to make, but I did not want to end up getting worse. The staff was great, and I came home this afternoon. I am on two new meds (one for anxiety/depression and one for times I cannot sleep at night.) Some side effects, but so far not as bad as the other meds I tried out before. I will continue with my therapy and keep in close contact with my physician assistant. It is going to be a rough road, and they have said it looks like the anxiety and depression might be temporary. I have some work to on getting better emotionally and physically.

6 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Howdy everyone! It has been a rough week. I ended up going to the ER Tuesday afternoon because I was seriously stressed out. The anxiety and depression were kicking in to the point where I could not focus and was scared something bad was going to happen (no thoughts of harming myself or someone else, and I want to keep it that way.) After talking with the Crisis Intervention Counselor, I decided to go a Crisis Stabilization Home Tuesday afternoon to be able to relax and start feeling better. It was not an easy decision to make, but I did not want to end up getting worse. The staff was great, and I came home this afternoon. I am on two new meds (one for anxiety/depression and one for times I cannot sleep at night.) Some side effects, but so far not as bad as the other meds I tried out before. I will continue with my therapy and keep in close contact with my physician assistant. It is going to be a rough road, and they have said it looks like the anxiety and depression might be temporary. I have some work to on getting better emotionally and physically.

The biggest thing is that you recognized there was a problem and you acted on it in a healthy way. Good choices. 

I’m glad you have new medicine that seems to agree with you and hope that they give you the peace needed to overcome the anxiety and depression. They (your issues) don’t have to be permanent but can be if not treated or discounted by the sufferer. I’m on your side and will be very hopeful for a good outcome. Treat yourself kindly. There are no overnight miracle fixes. Given some time you should be feeling better about yourself and things. Don’t get discouraged by any bumps in the (“rough”) road. We all have them. My very best to you. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The biggest thing is that you recognized there was a problem and you acted on it in a healthy way. Good choices. 

I’m glad you have new medicine that seems to agree with you and hope that they give you the peace needed to overcome the anxiety and depression. They (your issues) don’t have to be permanent but can be if not treated or discounted by the sufferer. I’m on your side and will be very hopeful for a good outcome. Treat yourself kindly. There are no overnight miracle fixes. Given some time you should be feeling better about yourself and things. Don’t get discouraged by any bumps in the (“rough”) road. We all have them. My very best to you. 

@Mindthinkr  Big frontal hugs for you and everyone else on here  {{{HUGS}}} I am glad to be home. I miss my hubby and fur baby. Sassy did not seem too excited when she saw me, but I gave her some kitty treats and now she is sleeping under the couch. One day at a time, no more negativity, no more letting people who have hurt me in the past take over my mind to the point they are still hurting me, and here is to a new beginning out in the world. Like I said, it is going to be tough, but at least I know where to turn to when the road gets rougher by the minute.

5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

@Mindthinkr  Big frontal hugs for you and everyone else on here  {{{HUGS}}} I am glad to be home. I miss my hubby and fur baby. Sassy did not seem too excited when she saw me, but I gave her some kitty treats and now she is sleeping under the couch. One day at a time, no more negativity, no more letting people who have hurt me in the past take over my mind to the point they are still hurting me, and here is to a new beginning out in the world. Like I said, it is going to be tough, but at least I know where to turn to when the road gets rougher by the minute.

Good for you for fighting this by asking for help.  Now that you are in a more positive frame of mind, I think that you will find that many of your physical ailments will dramatically improve as well.  There is definitely a mind/body connection to our well being.  Also, you might try having a glass of wine while soaking in a hot bathtub.  (This is the de-stressor touted by the late Mary Kay Ash, the founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics. Works for me.)

• Love 5
(edited)

I do not drink, but a nice hot bath and reading a good book sounds good. My sleeping habits have been all over the place. At the one place I was struggling with sleeping at night and was tired during the day which lead to the one take as you need it medication for insomnia. I hate it when you fight to stay awake all day, but a hour before bed time you feel more awake and cannot sleep.

Edited by bigskygirl
16 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Big frontal hugs for you and everyone else on here  {{{HUGS}}}

bigskygirl ♥  {{{HUGS}}} and many good wishes, positive thoughts and love coming your way.  I had a good friend tell me that taking your shoes off and walking in the yard/earth barefooted helps release a lot of negative energy.  Being out in nature, taking deep, slow breaths, helps calm the mind ♥  (Of course, ice cream and chocolate help too!)

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ah, my favorite drug. 

Mine too along with potato chips and cheesecake. I even ate a banana yesterday, and I do not care for bananas much.

Edited by bigskygirl

@bigskygirl  Glad you sought treatment  & wishing you the best.

I had my post OP visit with surgeon yesterday & he was so pleased with my recovery. Me too since my RA causes so many problems.  Ive lost some weight too which he was very happy about. He reminded me it's a 3 month recovery & to take easy, which I really do anyway with RA. I'm still catching up on my sleep from rehab place. It's so nice not being disturbed or awakened. 

On a side note, the surgeon dresses to the nines. Even after surgery when he came out to talk to Mr Barb & son of Barb, he had on his designer suit. I would have expected a polo shirt & khakis. Lol. When he came into exam room yesterday he complimented me on my housedress I was wearing. Usually I dress better for an appointment but these days I can barely get myself together. I laughed to myself it was a Walmart special that cost $15 & his designer suit & dress shoes had to start at $500 easy but I thought it was very nice he even mentioned how I looked.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

On a side note, the surgeon dresses to the nines. Even after surgery when he came out to talk to Mr Barb & son of Barb, he had on his designer suit. I would have expected a polo shirt & khakis. Lol.

When Mr. Blevins had surgery a few years ago, the surgeon showed up in a Hawaiian shirt and, if I recall correctly, cargo shorts. That might have been alarming, but it’s a small hospital, and people in the ER in the middle of the night can’t be too picky. He looked so much like one of Mr. Blevins’s uncles that we started referring to him as “Doctor Uncle Fred*” when he wasn’t around. 

We found out, two days later on the discharge paperwork, that his name actually was Fred. 

None of this means anything, of course, but it gave both of us a much-needed laugh.  Hopefully everyone going through medical issues can find similar light-hearted moments amongst the serious ones.

(* precise name has been changed to protect innocent uncles and doctors.)

• Love 15
On 6/25/2018 at 10:19 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

The mods didn’t like where I posted it (understandable) so I changed it to the Health and Wellness (at their suggestion) threads and hopefully it should show up in a few days. In the meantime we have this thread. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Did anyone else see the pee free panties ad in one of the threads. Funniest ad I have seen on here.

Haven’t seen it. I’ll assume it’s an incontinence product?

• Love 1