Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Are you 76?

No closer to 60.

Edited to add: I was a late baby and relate to older people better than those my own age. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1

Duggar show Drinking game:  Ok, I won't be able to watch it live, but for a lark decided to start a list so when I got to watch it On Demand I would be ready.  Take a drink every time:

Someone explains the rules of courtship

Someone gives a side hug

Jana or Jordyn give their patented FU looks to J'chelle or Boob

Someone mentions "the lord" or that so and so "has a servant's heart"

You hear Jill in the background saying "Yeeeeaaaaa!"

Someone has a screwed up delivery

Someone announces they're expecting.

Jessa gives her patented look of You annoy me and I'm better than you.

Jessa gives someone an order.

You see a styrofoam cup or plate

You see a "modesty" blouse/tanktop or a modesty panel.

You see someone sitting on an eating area - table, countertop, stovetop, etc.

Someone attempts to cook.

Please continue to add at will.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Is there another way to watch them so they appear interesting?  LOL

We could do a small prayer for one of our least favorite Duggars...

im not interested in getting drunk or a buzz on. I’d say eat a piece of chocolate but I’d be fat by the end of the season. Any ideas, anyone else? 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Is there another way to watch them so they appear interesting?  LOL

1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

We could do a small prayer for one of our least favorite Duggars...

im not interested in getting drunk or a buzz on. I’d say eat a piece of chocolate but I’d be fat by the end of the season. Any ideas, anyone else? 

I’ve found that, as surprising as it is, there are chores dull enough that if you put the Duggars on for background noise, you’ll end up watching the TV instead of working. Does that count?  Each time they do something on the list, wash a dish?

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Acute alcohol poisoning by the end.

This is a 2-hour episode. I think there would be plenty of participants praying to the porcelain god before show's end. ?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

This is a 2-hour episode. I think there would be plenty of participants praying to the porcelain god before show's end. ?

2 hours? I guess that’s so everything can be repeated when they come back from each commercial break.

• Love 9
(edited)

Off off topic. I’m not a Tom Cruise fan so I never really looked at him... until on delisted.com someone posted a pic of his central tooth. All I could see is Dereck misshapen mouth. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+cruise+teeth&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD_uGuhsncAhUoWN8KHTLGBAsQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=638#imgrc=3223Yq5DJ1_gEM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+cruise+teeth&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD_uGuhsncAhUoWN8KHTLGBAsQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=638#imgrc=BmPYse60XV1sOM:

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 4

The local CFA here always donates to the PRIDE parade.  I wish I could support them just for that, but I won't send my money to their corporate office. I haven't had CFA in like 20 years. I used to eat it a good amount in college.

It was recently announced that CFA is venturing out of the states and into the Canadian city where I live. My fellow residents were not enthused. (one tweet called it "chicken nuggets for heterosexuals" which I found hilarious) I can't wholly say I am either. it's another fast food joint. I can find one that is more in line with what I stand for.

That being said, I've always been a little curious, because everyone in America absolutely RAVES about the food, so I'll probably end up trying it (but i can already see the line around the block and is anything worth a line around a block?), but nothing will replace Popeyes for me. That in itself is the ultimate and is my favourite, greasy fast food place. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I've never had Popeyes before. We have one down the road from us, but honestly, I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore.

(Though both my CFA and Hobby Lobby boycotts were companies that I did at one time spend a lot of money- HL especially. I just liked the fries at CFA, not the chicken.)

My (gay) coworker LOVES CFA and calls it "discrimination chicken" whenever he eats it.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

but nothing will replace Popeyes for me.

Especially if it’s located in New Orleans. I had it somewhere else and I’d swear that it wasn’t as spicy. That is totally dinner after church food. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Skittl1321 said:

I've never had Popeyes before. We have one down the road from us, but honestly, I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore.

(Though both my CFA and Hobby Lobby boycotts were companies that I did at one time spend a lot of money- HL especially.)

My (gay) coworker LOVES CFA and calls it "discrimination chicken" whenever he eats it.

I call it homophobic chicken :).  We have one in our city.  I don't know how well it does but I see the same old farts every afternoon on the patio.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

We have one in our city.

We have just finished building our 4th in my city which isn’t so large as it is spread out. It’s a tourist area and the one that was closest to me never had parking and I’m not waiting behind 10 (no exaggeration) cars to get some drive thru. I went to Panera Bread instead. Ha! Couldn’t find a table there at first. My town must be full of (fat?) fast food eaters. There are 8 McDonalds just to give you perspective. 

• Love 2

I had to go get popeyes for lunch today. This conversation demanded it. (a new location also opened up less than 20 minutes away from me). I'm eager to see how CFA does in my city. I'd say we're overall, pretty liberal, and there are already protests for them to ... just not. but im sure it'll get business. (also, there's a broadway show called Come From Away which I usually abbreviate to CFA. and the Broadway CFA is much much better.)

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

We have just finished building our 4th in my city which isn’t so large as it is spread out. It’s a tourist area and the one that was closest to me never had parking and I’m not waiting behind 10 (no exaggeration) cars to get some drive thru. I went to Panera Bread instead. Ha! Couldn’t find a table there at first. My town must be full of (fat?) fast food eaters. There are 8 McDonalds just to give you perspective. 

Ours is really irritating when they do the car hop thing.  It stops traffic in one lane while they all wait to order and it really pisses off other drivers.  It isn't set up for that and State street is busy!  Ours is in a more local area of the city rather than where the tourists congregate.  Our city had the highest number of anti prop 8 votes (prop 8 was to only validate MF marriages and was highly confusing with a ton of Utah $) so it really was surprising it was put here (and took away our Burger King!).

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I call it homophobic chicken :).  We have one in our city.  I don't know how well it does but I see the same old farts every afternoon on the patio.  

We call it "hate nuggets" here.  The food isn't that great that it can't be avoided. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

It was recently announced that CFA is venturing out of the states and into the Canadian city where I live. My fellow residents were not enthused. (one tweet called it "chicken nuggets for heterosexuals" which I found hilarious) I can't wholly say I am either. it's another fast food joint. I can find one that is more in line with what I stand for.

That being said, I've always been a little curious, because everyone in America absolutely RAVES about the food, so I'll probably end up trying it (but i can already see the line around the block and is anything worth a line around a block?), but nothing will replace Popeyes for me. That in itself is the ultimate and is my favourite, greasy fast food place. 

CFA and Popeyes are two different animals.  I live in the land of Bojangles and they have my favorite fried chicken.  I do like Popeyes but the only one in my town is far away and difficult to get in and out of. 

• Love 2

So here's a weird one that I feel like this board will understand.

I have a flyer for a free fly fishing class in August. I just started fly fishing so I was understandably intrigued. It's being run by a local church, and some google-fu leads me to see that they're part of a larger evangelical ministry. It's entirely possible it's just a fly fishing class. But my radar is up. Do I email them and (politely) ask if it's a secular event? I have no problem with flat out stating that I'm a Jewish lesbian, I'm excited and happy to participate in a secular event but if it is/has any religious angle out of politeness I won't attend. Thoughts?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Do I email them and (politely) ask if it's a secular event?

I don’t see how that can hurt as long as you are polite. My SIL loves to fly fish. She has found classes through stores that sell the gear and trips (mind you some can be expensive) with groups of women for fishing and lessons. 

I'm really tired of the hate on CFA.  In my opinion, CFA embodies the "Love thy neighbor" commandment.  You don't have to agree with your neighbor, but you should do them no harm.  CFA has on many occasions opened on Sundays to provide food when events have occurred (such as the nightclub shooting).  In all the years I've had access to CFA, they've treated all customers equally and with the same level of service.  I think the problem is that the damn Duggars eat there and that is turning people off.  Yes, the CEO made a comment years ago but if you've read articles since then, he says he has learned from the experience and opened his way of thinking.  There's a CFA near me that has several employees who are over-the-top gay and no one blinks an eye.  They talk about how much they love working there and how they've been accepted by their co-workers and community.

P.S.  Popeye's chicken is horrible.  I'd rank it below KFC.

• Love 3

Chik fil A has a reputation with its big owner, not necessarily the franchises, but still, our gay son and husband,  his friends and Mr. lookeyloo and I won't spend any money there as a general rule.  Sad because we all like the food.  And then the grandson out west has a friend who works in a store and told grandson he would get the job if he interviewed.  He did and he did.  We told him "great, take their money and eat their food".  The franchise is well run and he is treated well.  We went to visit him at work, just for him to take our order.  We suspended our personal distaste for that one time.  The issue for us is Mr. Cathy and his beliefs and now although he has said his charities won't support anti LGBQT policies, his views and his personal contributions haven't changed and those contributions are funded by people spending $$ in the stores.  We have never pushed our personal distaste of his policies on anyone.  We don't shun people who enjoy eating there.  The place where grandson works is very nice.  The people are nice.  That's great.  It is our personal choice.  YMMV.

• Love 16
(edited)
24 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

I'm really tired of the hate on CFA.  In my opinion, CFA embodies the "Love thy neighbor" commandment.  You don't have to agree with your neighbor, but you should do them no harm. 

You're entitled to spend your money however you choose. I choose not to support companies that take political stances/actions with which I vehemently disagree (CFA, Hunt's, Vanity Fair paper products, Cracker Barrel, Barilla pasta, the list goes on). I would say that publicly making hateful comments about the LGBTQ community is harmful and the opposite of loving thy neighbor.

ETA: what @lookeyloo said.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Chik fil A has a reputation with its big owner, not necessarily the franchises, but still, our gay son and husband,  his friends and Mr. lookeyloo and I won't spend any money there as a general rule.  Sad because we all like the food.  And then the grandson out west has a friend who works in a store and told grandson he would get the job if he interviewed.  He did and he did.  We told him "great, take their money and eat their food".  The franchise is well run and he is treated well.  We went to visit him at work, just for him to take our order.  We suspended our personal distaste for that one time.  The issue for us is Mr. Cathy and his beliefs and now although he has said his charities won't support anti LGBQT policies, his views and his personal contributions haven't changed and those contributions are funded by people spending $$ in the stores.  We have never pushed our personal distaste of his policies on anyone.  We don't shun people who enjoy eating there.  The place where grandson works is very nice.  The people are nice.  That's great.  It is our personal choice.  YMMV.

Took out my response since I was posting as the warning went up.  

Edited by Natalie68
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t see how that can hurt as long as you are polite. My SIL loves to fly fish. She has found classes through stores that sell the gear and trips (mind you some can be expensive) with groups of women for fishing and lessons. 

I took a free class at Orvis last week and tried on my own for the first time the next day-caught 3 bluegills! :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

I took a free class at Orvis last week and tried on my own for the first time the next day-caught 3 bluegills! :)

Way to go!  I haven’t heard anyone mention bluegills since I left Michigan. And I know lots of fisher persons 

• Love 2

Not going to get political, but the original founder and CEO of Chick-Fil-A died in 2014.  

I do know that they have opened 3 restaurants in Las Vegas since the old man died.  He vowed never to do business in Nevada because of the gambling, but the son obviously has no issue with it.  Maybe he will change his mind about other issues too.

• Love 2

As an American where Chick Fil A is still a novelty, I don't get the hype. I might try their milkshakes one day, but they fry their chicken and fries in peanut oil. They say that 100% refined peanut oil is okay for even those with a peanut allergy to consume, but I'd rather not chance it on fast food. 

12 minutes ago, McManda said:

As an American where Chick Fil A is still a novelty, I don't get the hype. I might try their milkshakes one day, but they fry their chicken and fries in peanut oil. They say that 100% refined peanut oil is okay for even those with a peanut allergy to consume, but I'd rather not chance it on fast food. 

I tried a piece of the chicken once.  I didn't care for it.

• Love 1

Well after all this chat I took one for the team and went to CFA and got their Cobb salad for dinner. I could only eat half. It was ok but a little too salty for my taste. Still, I do have the other half for lunch tomorrow so cost wise it was reasonable for something that I didn’t have to make. Why is fast food always so salty...to add taste? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, questionfear said:

So here's a weird one that I feel like this board will understand.

I have a flyer for a free fly fishing class in August. I just started fly fishing so I was understandably intrigued. It's being run by a local church, and some google-fu leads me to see that they're part of a larger evangelical ministry. It's entirely possible it's just a fly fishing class. But my radar is up. Do I email them and (politely) ask if it's a secular event? I have no problem with flat out stating that I'm a Jewish lesbian, I'm excited and happy to participate in a secular event but if it is/has any religious angle out of politeness I won't attend. Thoughts?

My guess is, it’s a way to draw others into the church in a “fun” way. They know skeptics won’t attend an overtly religious event, but if it seems secular they’ll have people such as yourself consider it, meet people, get invited to more events, and hope that slowly you’ll be swayed to their side. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, awaken said:

My guess is, it’s a way to draw others into the church in a “fun” way. They know skeptics won’t attend an overtly religious event, but if it seems secular they’ll have people such as yourself consider it, meet people, get invited to more events, and hope that slowly you’ll be swayed to their side. 

Church politics? I think that your assessment is spot on. 

45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well after all this chat I took one for the team and went to CFA and got their Cobb salad for dinner. I could only eat half. It was ok but a little too salty for my taste. Still, I do have the other half for lunch tomorrow so cost wise it was reasonable for something that I didn’t have to make. Why is fast food always so salty...to add taste? 

To give you high blood pressure which will kill you.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

To give you high blood pressure which will kill you.

Right...I’m already on 2 BP meds. I think that was a one time spurge. It was ok but here’s what mine looks like. 0F9911B7-53A4-4D35-B21B-931956418E49.jpeg.f3c8f85f588922cdfcfd919d3a836c8c.jpeg

i make all kids of versions and my daughter calls them garbage salads. She loves the one I make with beets although she’ll eat any of them as will her two sons. The granddaughter is too picky and rarely will eat a salad. 

• Love 5

I just feel like a miserable excuse for a human being. This isn't the way real people are...

There's nothing wrong with you.  We are all wired differently, and if we were all the same, it would be as boring as all flipping get out. 

I really actively dislike my male dna donor.  I have nothing for him.  The sooner he is gone, the better off I will be.  I really thought he wouldn't make it that first year after my mother passed away, but he's still puttering around.  I take him for his groceries and medical appointments and that's it.  I don't talk to him unless I have to.  I cringe every time he gets into my car when I have to take him somewhere.  It's awful.  But...such is life.  I suppose if I hadn't had to develop the seven or eight hard shell layers I had to having the parents I had and have I'd be a version of myself I wouldn't like.  I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking a parent, they aren't saints, and not every parent is a good parent.

I have to highly recommend the Mr Rogers documentary.  I sat in the theater and tried not to sob, because when he first started his show I was a wee one, and watched it every day.  I needed him to tell me how special I was, because sure wasn't getting it from the parents.  We need to hear that as adults, not in the snowflakey privileged way, but in a gentle reassurance that we do matter in our own worlds, and to others, and to ourselves.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 17
18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I made the aches and pains thread. Look under Health and Wellness for it. 

Wishing everyone a pain free day.  *hugs* 

Help me! I'm lost! Look under Health and Wellness where? Search just brings up this conversation. 

• Love 1

@CherryMalotte  Do not feel bad. I admit I cannot stand to be around my parents at all. My mom is 80 years old, and my dad is 84. I know one day I will be getting the call saying one of them has died, but I feel I will not be too sad about it. I feel terrible for feeling this way, but I have mourn losing both of them years ago. Biologically they are my parents, but I stopped loving them years ago when I finally figured out I would not get the love and attention from the both of them I wanted and deserved. The abuse I endured from the both of them was enough for me to say enough is enough.

And my anxiety has kicked into overdrive after dealing with the crappy Dell customer service this morning. I was on the phone for over an hour trying to figure out what is going on with our account payment for this month. UGH!!! GRR!!! I kept getting the run around and was giving different phone numbers to call. Talk about frustrating!

Our blasted printer died yesterday, so we need a new one. My physician assistant put me on another anxiety med. She wants me to start feeling better before I try it. The last one made me so sleepy I was struggling to stay awake last Saturday. The other side effects were not pleasant either. I did sleep well last night and this morning. I did not wake up once during the night.

41 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I did sleep well last night and this morning

I’m happy to hear that. I think that when you get well rested that you will be able to handle the stresses better. Cheers to the new medicine working well. Once you find the one that’s right for you I’m hoping that life will seem easier and more beautiful for you.  *hugs* 

• Love 2