Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Make you Dr aware of this. I know that it hasn’t been easy for you to have to keep trying medications and now these allergy injections to try to feel well enough to live a full life. Just keep at it as eventually they’ll figure out the right combination for you. It doesn’t sound like the current ones are liked by your body. I look forward to the time when you can say that you’ve had a good day. Fingers crossed. 

Believe me they know. *lol* I still want to jump in the car to go hunt down the one doctor to slap the crap out of him who told me I would have better quality of life, feel better, and hypothyroidism is easier to treat if I had the one treatment and went on the one thyroid hormone medication. It has been over five years. I am still waiting. Oh well! It could be a lot worse.

Edited by bigskygirl
Just now, bigskygirl said:

Believe me they know. *lol* I still want to jump in the car and slap the crap out of the one doctor who told me I would have better quality of life, feel better, and hypothyroidism is easier to treat if I had the one treatment and went on the one thyroid hormone medication. It has been over five years. I am still waiting. Oh well! It could be a lot worse.

Sadly, yes it could. I’d still like them to give you some improvement. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

@zoomama do you think Wyatt actually feels well enough to go to school?  I think I’m actually a Leo - your birthday must be later in the month.

yep - i am at the almost very end!

hmmm, about wyatt. well he is ok sitting in his chair playing video games. then he gets in bed and rests a while and back and forth. he coughs much more when up and about the house . so no, i dont really think its a good decision to make him go to school this week.  i am concerned tho about him not starting with everyone else though, because of him moving here at thanksgiving last year, starting mid year as a 'new kid' and never really fitting in was a huge issue last year. we had all (teachers and counselors too) kinda held the hope that starting this year with all his classmates at the same time would be better for his mindset. but i cannot control his health so i will probably approach the school and ask to let him start next week, hoping that his coughing will lessen enough to NOT be a total nuisance for the teacher.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, zoomama said:

hmmm, about wyatt. well he is ok sitting in his chair playing video games. then he gets in bed and rests a while and back and forth. he coughs much more when up and about the house . so no, i dont really think its a good decision to make him go to school this week.  i am concerned tho about him not starting with everyone else though, because of him moving here at thanksgiving last year, starting mid year as a 'new kid' and never really fitting in was a huge issue last year. we had all (teachers and counselors too) kinda held the hope that starting this year with all his classmates at the same time would be better for his mindset. but i cannot control his health so i will probably approach the school and ask to let him start next week, hoping that his coughing will lessen enough to NOT be a total nuisance for the teacher.

I’ll tell you about what scares me about his returning on Wednesday. His immunity is low because he is still ill. He might not be very sick, but he is still already immunity compromised. Schools can be germ factories. I’d hate for him to pick up somebody else’s bug and it worsens him. He’s already had a few antibiotics so this strain of what he has is a toughie and if he gets worse he may have to be hospitalized to get the big gun IV antibiotics. Good luck with this decision  I know that you will choose what is best for him  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

It’s my BD today.  The last in the 50’s... I’m OLD!!!  FB is alight with birthday wishes and I’m going to lunch with just my 3 offspring.  It’s rare I get to be with JUST them, and I’m REALLY so excited about that!!!  And my daughter came and stole my car earlier (I didn’t even notice it was gone!) and WASHED it!!!  I’m having anGREAT day so far!!!

Happy, happy birthday. So special to have your kids celebrating just YOU!  Enjoy.....you spend your days lighting up every one else’s life!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ll tell you about what scares me about his returning on Wednesday. His immunity is low because he is still ill. He might not be very sick, but he is still already immunity compromised. Schools can be germ factories. I’d hate for him to pick up somebody else’s bug and it worsens him. He’s already had a few antibiotics so this strain of what he has is a toughie and if he gets worse he may have to be hospitalized to get the big gun IV antibiotics. Good luck with this decision  I know that you will choose what is best for him  

very good points. i think the decision is made. home till next week unless the doctor says something different. i dont feel great about him going this week at all. you just pushed me over the edge and helped me decide.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

It’s my BD today.  The last in the 50’s... I’m OLD!!!  FB is alight with birthday wishes and I’m going to lunch with just my 3 offspring.  It’s rare I get to be with JUST them, and I’m REALLY so excited about that!!!  And my daughter came and stole my car earlier (I didn’t even notice it was gone!) and WASHED it!!!  I’m having anGREAT day so far!!!

Happy birthday to you and all good wishes for many, many more!!

I turn 65 on Saturday.  I used my Medicare card for the first time ?.

On the positive side, this October I will celebrate 32 years since my Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis.  I try to be grateful for each new day, as there was a time not too long ago that a similar diagnosis would not have had an outcome like mine. 

• Love 23
17 hours ago, zoomama said:

I hope Wyatt gets healthy soon.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Nope. I'm not into babies really, except ones I know in real life.

I watched the intro last night. I didn't want to like them, but, it was hard not to.  I have issues with people who already have children doing fertility treatments and ending up with 5-6 babies at once, that they can't care for and have to get help from others, but, their case was a little different. Not sure I'll follow.  There is no tread started yet.  Suppose I 'll wait and see if anyone starts one.  The couple already have 3 young sons.  Now are expecting SIX more sons. But, they seem financially secure, have large house, land, etc.  It might be amusing. 

• Love 2

I didn't watch, but generally those families are off-putting to me. They tend to come across as very entitled, like it's their God-given right to receive loads of help and freebies all because they chose to have six or seven babies at once. I haven't seen this latest show so I can't judge this particular family, but that's been my sentiment towards all the other ones. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I didn't watch, but generally those families are off-putting to me. They tend to come across as very entitled, like it's their God-given right to receive loads of help and freebies all because they chose to have six or seven babies at once. I haven't seen this latest show so I can't judge this particular family, but that's been my sentiment towards all the other ones. 

Yeah, I agree and that's why it generally turns me off, but, with this couple, I'm not so sure all of that is the case.  Their fertility treatment was a little different than I expected and they are well off financially, have nice large home, farm, both educated, established, own their own business, she's a teacher....I think they will likely have resources to pay privately for help. Won't be asking for handouts, no poor mouthing, etc. Just my take on it.  That's why I'm sort of interested.  I wanted to dislike them, but, couldn't. 

• Love 3

I’m on a mission. I’ve gone on a small vacation by myself. The goal is to gain weight. I left my house at 85 lbs and am going to try to go home at 90. Y’all wouldn’t believe it but there’s just as much skinny shaming as there is fat shaming. I know. People ask me if I’m bulimic...I’m not or anorexic...hmm not really but I do count calories because I have that stupid tape from my mother (long gone) who kept telling me not to get fat going through my head every day. Anyway I’m thinking of all of you and sending my love and prayers. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m on a mission. I’ve gone on a small vacation by myself. The goal is to gain weight. I left my house at 85 lbs and am going to try to go home at 90. Y’all wouldn’t believe it but there’s just as much skinny shaming as there is fat shaming. I know. People ask me if I’m bulimic...I’m not or anorexic...hmm not really but I do count calories because I have that stupid tape from my mother (long gone) who kept telling me not to get fat going through my head every day. Anyway I’m thinking of all of you and sending my love and prayers. 

Those tapes in the head are deadly. My ex did it to me. I was very thin most of my adult life until I took that breast cancer drug to suppress estrogen and now I have a ring of flab. And yes people always made comments about what I was or was not eating and such. Wishing you success in your quest and somebody erase those tapes for us. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone going to follow Sweet Home Sextuplets on TLC?  

I haven't watched, but it reminded me of something my SIL, an ultrasound technician said - women aren't meant to have litters. I hope this family does well & can support all of their children.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wishing you health. ❤️

• Love 2
23 hours ago, marypat57 said:

Happy birthday to you and all good wishes for many, many more!!

I turn 65 on Saturday.  I used my Medicare card for the first time ?.

On the positive side, this October I will celebrate 32 years since my Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis.  I try to be grateful for each new day, as there was a time not too long ago that a similar diagnosis would not have had an outcome like mine. 

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Good luck!  I am sending you happy thoughts!

16 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I haven't watched, but it reminded me of something my SIL, an ultrasound technician said - women aren't meant to have litters. I hope this family does well & can support all of their children.

Well they have a show so they either are fame hungry or DO need help financially.  I cannot see anyone giving up their freedom and sanity for reality tv fame unless it was needed.  Or they are a Kardashian. 

• Love 2

My speculation on the Sextuplets new show is that it's for college funds.  They seem to be financially secure and have the resources for the basics, even help caring for 6 babies for awhile, but, when it comes to college money....I'd bet that would be a strain, even for people who are well off, for that many at one time, plus, on the heels of the 3 older boys. That's my guess on it. 

49 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Heads up for anyone taking the thyroid medication Levothyroxine. There has been a recall on certain doses of the med.

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm616601.htm

Thanks for the info. My dose and manufacturer are different as well. Last month there was a recall on my hypertension med.(Valsartan), but that was also made in a different lab so they said I’m ok. Both my Thyroid and BPmeds are made by Mylan, which is in the US. The affected Valsartan was made in China. 

Love those generics.

• Love 3

Having been in biopharmaceuticals for more than twenty years and having some familiarity with the manufacturing and regulatory environments of various countries, I personally would avoid drugs made in China if I could. And Turkey.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Heads up for anyone taking the thyroid medication Levothyroxine. There has been a recall on certain doses of the med.

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm616601.htm

Good grief. I got worried because I’m out of the country and didn’t want to place an expensive call to my pharmacy just to be put on hold for minutes. I went to look at my bottle. Mine are made by Abbie. The good news is that my pharmacy puts the manufacturers name on the bottle so I didn’t have to call and also now I don’t have to worry. Good of you to post that. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Not mine either, but thanks very much for the notice.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Having been in biopharmaceuticals for more than twenty years and having some familiarity with the manufacturing and regulatory environments of various countries, I personally would avoid drugs made in China if I could. And Turkey.

@jcbrown  I try to avoid anything made in China that's ingested, absorbed through skin, used for cooking or food storage.  I was completely clueless that a pharmacy with Walgreen's reputation would be getting drugs from a company that got meds from China.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, wilsie said:

I was completely clueless that a pharmacy with Walgreen's reputation would be getting drugs from a company that got meds from China

I'm not. As someone with first hand retail pharmacy experience, corporate pharmacy is concerned about their bottom line. Pharmacy is generally considered a loss leader; they make money by being on every corner and by driving sales elsewhere in the store. They likely lose money on a lot of the actual pharmacuticals they fill as prscriptions because insurance reimbursement sucks. (There are exceptions, like patients that pay cash.) It's not unsusal to see reimbursement rates under a dollar, which for old, inexpensive meds like amoxicillin is fair and fine, but hurts a lot of other things. It's why you don't see a ton of independent pharmacies any more. They just don't make the money they need to.

It doesn't surprise me Walgreens went with the cheapest option. My chain, as far as I know, only recently started carrying one med manufactured in China and we were all surprised by it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

@bythelake  https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm613532.htm  I take valsartin and have gotten it in the last year from cvs and walgreen's.  CVS was fine but the Walgreen's meds I had taken were affected.   Solco Healthcare was responsible for getting the drugs from China.  Walgreen's sent a letter.  

My friend’s husband was on the Solco Valsartan. Walgreens never sent him a letter. They called their physician who switched him to another medication. I’ve been on several meds. for my BP that have disagreed with me, and I feel well on the Valsartan, so I hope there are no further recalls. I get mine from Rite-aid, which is supposed to merge with Walgreens,so I will probably be back to square one.

• Love 1

@bythelake  http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-drugs-country-of-origin-20180515-story.html  This article shows how frustrating trying to find the source of a medication can be.  It's intentionally obscured.  This is from the article:  "The drug industry has spent nearly $4 billion on lobbying over the last 20 years, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. No other U.S. industry comes close."  It's also frustrating when you have a prescription that works well and your prescription plan changes the tier that med is so it costs triple or more for a smaller amount.  I'm grateful to have medical insurance and a prescription plan but it gets tricky trying to work through who and what's available.  I hope your prescriptions from wherever you get them are safe and priced so they are affordable.  I wish that for all of you struggling with meds, prices and side-effects.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bythelake said:

Both my Thyroid and BPmeds are made by Mylan, which is in the US. The affected Valsartan was made in China. 

Kind of. But pharmacuticals is a tricky game, so you can't really generalize like this. (Also, as a side note: Mylan is a US company but also has manufacturing plants throughout the world, including in Japan and India, though I have no idea where your meds were made specifically.)

For example, with the Valsartan recall. The FDA recalled certain manufacturers of Valsartan because they found that a lab that made the active ingredient Valsartan, did so in a way that produced a byproduct called NDMA which is known to be a probable human carcinogen. That lab happened to be located in China. (The FDA has since expanded that recall to include Valsartan manufactured by Camber, who sourced their active Valsartan from a lab in India, so it's not just something specific to China.)

That lab sold the Valsartan to other companies, including Solco and Teva, who in turn made their own versions of the medications that your might have been taking.

I don't know for certain about Solco, but as far as I know Teva has no presence in China. They're located world-wide, with headquarters in Israel and locations in Europe and North and South America. Their medications are not made in China, but some of the resources they use are. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, wilsie said:

@bythelake  http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-drugs-country-of-origin-20180515-story.html  This article shows how frustrating trying to find the source of a medication can be.  It's intentionally obscured.  This is from the article:  "The drug industry has spent nearly $4 billion on lobbying over the last 20 years, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. No other U.S. industry comes close."  It's also frustrating when you have a prescription that works well and your prescription plan changes the tier that med is so it costs triple or more for a smaller amount.  I'm grateful to have medical insurance and a prescription plan but it gets tricky trying to work through who and what's available.  I hope your prescriptions from wherever you get them are safe and priced so they are affordable.  I wish that for all of you struggling with meds, prices and side-effects.

There's a commercial that says you should tell your doctor if you are allergic to X drug "or any of its ingredients." That one always makes me yell at the TV. No patient is going to know all of the ingredients in a drug. It's not possible.

• Love 7

@jcbrown, I swear, just when I think I can’t be surprised, you went all biopharmaceutical on me!!!  Day-yum, we have just about every conceivable talent on earth right here, don’t we?

I also love it when the commercial voice says “don’t take (whatever) if you are allergic”.  Unfortunately, you probably aren’t going to know that before your head blows off and your throat swells shut, right?  

My very favorite drug commercial line has been revamped, I guess because a focus group finally said “that’s the dumbest line ever...”.  It was a drug for fibromyalgia (as I recall, anyway, I could be wrong).  At the very end of the commercial, the woman said these words “with less pain, I feel better”.  Seriously, is that true?  Do people actually feel better with less pain?  Wait... so you’re saying someone might opt for MORE pain?  I think now, she says “with less pain, I’m able to do more with my family” or something like that.  Which is logical.  Even I understand that.

• Love 5

I hope everyone is doing better and is on their way to wellness.  That being said, the past 2 weeks have been rough here.  OK to be totally honest the past 2 years have been rough.  I have realized that something or rather a lot of things for me need to change.   My health, my fitness, my diet, my dreams, everything is hitting rock bottom.  I have cried so much in the past week it's not funny. In the past week/10 days I've had at least 4 friends need me to drop everything and help take care of their issues.  At least 3 of their issues are from their own making/not taking care of things, etc.  I have cried a river of tears over at least one of my pet sitting clients.  My house needs major work.  My homestead needs a hoard of shoemaker elves for like 2 weeks to even begin to be caught up.  I haven't worked on my health/fitness/ or my dream job in almost 2 months.  I'm finally starting to recover from family coming out to visit and the teenagers were totally useless and checked out.  I'm exhausted.  I'm in pain from my fibryo, and my injured shoulder, my gardens, my work, my crafts are all in dire need and I don't even know where to start.

• Love 15
On 8/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, doodlebug said:

I grew up in downtown Cleveland in an ethnic neighborhood filled with first and second generation immigrants, mainly from Central/Eastern Europe.  I attended the same grade school that my father did, had some of the same nuns.  In addition to my father, all 6 of his siblings and about a half dozen of my cousins had also attended that school.  Several of the kids I went to school with were the children of my father's classmates.  It happened a lot in that neighborhood, someone would hear your last name and ask, 'Oh, you must be related to so and so.'   Yep, I was related to all of 'em.

Very similar, doodlebug--except we're Hispanic in Texas. Same school and church my parents went to, aunts, uncles, cousins, and so most of the nuns had known us since birth. Many of my relatives taught there, one was a principal there, and 2 relatives were nuns there. For me, church, school, and family were very much intertwined.

5 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I hope everyone is doing better and is on their way to wellness.  That being said, the past 2 weeks have been rough here.  OK to be totally honest the past 2 years have been rough.  I have realized that something or rather a lot of things for me need to change.   My health, my fitness, my diet, my dreams, everything is hitting rock bottom.  I have cried so much in the past week it's not funny. In the past week/10 days I've had at least 4 friends need me to drop everything and help take care of their issues.  At least 3 of their issues are from their own making/not taking care of things, etc.  I have cried a river of tears over at least one of my pet sitting clients.  My house needs major work.  My homestead needs a hoard of shoemaker elves for like 2 weeks to even begin to be caught up.  I haven't worked on my health/fitness/ or my dream job in almost 2 months.  I'm finally starting to recover from family coming out to visit and the teenagers were totally useless and checked out.  I'm exhausted.  I'm in pain from my fibryo, and my injured shoulder, my gardens, my work, my crafts are all in dire need and I don't even know where to start.

Well @DragonFaerie that sounds like a big load to carry. I tend to be bossy but I will stifle that urge and tell you that you have already started your renewal by acknowledging that you need it. Step one accomplished.  It is not selfish to put your needs first. It is a good thing. So start there and we are here to help you along. Sending you strong positive vibes and a hug. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

There's a commercial that says you should tell your doctor if you are allergic to X drug "or any of its ingredients." That one always makes me yell at the TV. No patient is going to know all of the ingredients in a drug. It's not possible.

To say nothing of the fact that you are not likely to know you are allergic to it until you take it in the first place!

• Love 8