Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I think he's jealous and doesn't know WHAT he wants, so he says one thing to try to keep me around, but then jokes around when he wants to avoid it. I don't think he would even consider it emotional abuse, but it is. . . . Seems like doesn't want a serious discussion. Seen like he wants to completely call the shots, and just expects me to be an emotionless robot and go along with whatever!

Bingo! I hope you have a Merry Christmas without anymore of his BS. :)

Hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday season!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Did anyone see aquaman? Did you like it?

i was supposed to see it with a friend on Thursday and Saturday but she canceled both times. I’m pissed. 

Im never again saying to anyone what movie I want to see. I’m going to see myself.

and I want to see Mary poppins (never saw the original) and bumblebee. 

And to sign up for the gym I need a manager. No manager until after Christmas. Aaarrrr.

Haven't seen Aquaman, I'm not too invested in the comic book movies.  I did see Mary Poppins with my sister and we both loved it!  I was a little girl when the original was released but didn't see it until I was an adult; I think our finances weren't able to cover a bunch of kids at the movies when it was released.  I loved the original and knew all the music since I did hear hear the soundtrack at school as a kid.  Anyway, the new movie seems like a loving tribute to the first.  Beautifully filmed, magnificent special effects, colorful costumes, etc.  Emily Blunt does Mary Poppins justice and Lin-Manuel Miranda has that perfect Disney twinkle (I love him and Hamilton so I am biased).  The cameos by a very spry 93 year old Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury are terrific too.  Highly recommended.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I might be biased because I'm just coming off an awkward family reunion with tons of guilt trips and emotional manipulation--not directed at me but I got caught in the crossfire--but you don't need to talk to him. He's either an imbecile if he has no clue why what he did is offensive or he did it intentionally. Either way, a talk isn't going to solve his problem.

Personally, I suspect it was intentional. I agree with the speculation that he saw this as the quickest way to make you compliant to bend to his will, and then when he saw there might be complications, he decided to change his tactics. He just keeps adjusting based on what he thinks will make you the least likely to lose your shit on him while still getting what he wants. He's not worth your time either as a husband, boyfriend, or person to lecture/reason with. 

Omg you are so right!!! He is changing his tactics based on what he thinks will bring him the least chance of an unpleasant altercation. He should have just KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT in the first place if he wasn't sure! He was so adamant about marriage and family not being in the picture, so I broke up with him, and we hung out occasionally (not sexually though...not even kissing). That was okay, because I clearly knew where he stood, and that it was not going to change. I was totally over it, fine with being civil friends, and had moved on and started dating again. It really pisses me off that he couldn't just let me go off and be happy! I wouldn't have even had an issue with staying on friendly terms with him indefinitely. Obviously we wouldn't have been best friends or anything when I found someone else, but I would have zero problems keeping in touch online, wishing him happy birthday, etc. He has now blown all that with this stupid stunt! I think the relationship could have been salvaged if he had just come to me, with a serious demeanor, and said, "I'm starting to think you may have been right about marriage, and I think it might be for me, but could we talk? I have some concerns I want to talk over, and I don't really like making rash decisions. Could I get your input about how XYZ would go if we got married? What would we do about XYZ?" That would have been the mature way to handle it, and EVEN IF he decided it wasn't for him, I would feel like he took my opinion seriously, and he wouldn't have gotten my hopes up and dashed them like that. I think he's jealous and doesn't know WHAT he wants, so he says one thing to try to keep me around, but then jokes around when he wants to avoid it. I don't think he would even consider it emotional abuse, but it is. He has no idea what it's like to want something this badly. Plus he doesn't have the best social skills anyway, which obviously is a problem. At least now I can focus on meeting new people, and he can fill that time reflecting on how to be a more mature person. He just went about it all wrong, as there are ways he could have tentatively brought it up without getting my hopes up like that. Seems like doesn't want a serious discussion. Seen like he wants to completely call the shots, and just expects me to be an emotionless robot and go along with whatever!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

i was supposed to see it with a friend on Thursday and Saturday but she canceled both times. I’m pissed. 

Im never again saying to anyone what movie I want to see. I’m going to see myself.

And to sign up for the gym I need a manager. No manager until after Christmas. Aaarrrr.

Just saw Mary Poppins.  Have seen the original more than once.  This one is delightful.  It isn't a remake.  And there is a happy surprise towards the end.

• Love 2

Next year everyone is getting socks, underwear and a check. 😆 next year I am not hosting either side!

Does anyone have the old school Betty Crocker Spanish rice recipe? I’ve found something similar online, but it is missing seasoning.  We’re doing enchiladas and Spanish rice, plus sides. Plus margaritas and Corona. 

MIL and FIL opted out again due to imagined issues with BIL.  Such a fine line between being mentally ill and being a-holes. 

Hipe your preparation is going well! Everything is wrapped and the house is being shoveled. Cooking begins later.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

Does anyone have the old school Betty Crocker Spanish rice recipe? I’ve found something similar online, but it is missing seasoning.  We’re doing enchiladas and Spanish rice, plus sides. Plus margaritas and Corona. 

I have a first edition Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook but its Spanish rice recipe lacks seasoning other than salt and pepper so I suspect that may not be the one you are looking for.

I like to sound of your Mexican-inspired holiday meal. We had relatives staying with us for the last two nights and had a Christmas Eve-eve-eve-eve feast with them Friday and are now resting up before hosting friends tomorrow, then I make a feast for the two of us on Christmas day. Whee!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Just saw Mary Poppins.  Have seen the original more than once.  This one is delightful.  It isn't a remake.  And there is a happy surprise towards the end.

Nope, this one is sort of a sequel to the first, taking place about 30 years later; but there are lots of little nods to the original throughout.  It's a delight from start to finish.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

Next year everyone is getting socks, underwear and a check. 😆 next year I am not hosting either side!

MIL and FIL opted out again due to imagined issues with BIL.  Such a fine line between being mentally ill and being a-holes. 

Hipe your preparation is going well! Everything is wrapped and the house is being shoveled. Cooking begins later.

This is from my BC circa 1970. So it’s really old. I copied it verbatim,but it’s not specific on some things.

Fry until crisp 4 slices bacon cut up. Remove to baking dish. Whisk bacon around dish to grease it.

Add to bacon fat 1/4 c. finely chopped onion,and 1/4 c.finely chopped pepper. Sauté until onion is yellow.

Combine with bacon and add 3 c.cooked rice, 2 c. Tomatoes,salt and pepper to taste. It doesn’t specify whether to drain the fat off the pepper and onion. I would.

Sprinkle  with 1/4 c. Cheese.

Bake uncovered  in 400 oven for 20/25 min.

Now, first of all I think the oven temp is too high. 350 sounds better. It specifies American cheese, I would use cheddar, and it says cooked tomatoes (#303 can), whatever that is. That’s how old this recipe is. I looked at a can of crushed tomatoes and it doesn’t have a number on it. 

I guess  if you used a jarred spaghetti sauce it would taste fine because it has seasonings in it and  the bacon adds more flavor as well. I might even increase the pepper and onion a bit.

It sounds good as a side, and if you really wanted to cheat,rice comes in steamer bags.You just have to zap them for 5 min.

• Love 3

okay Im bringing the vevlet-dress discussion from Jinger/Jeremy to here:

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

Green velvet dresses are in this season. I think it all depends on the cut and style, bc I loooove velvet/velour and don't think it's childish. Here is the one I bought for Christmas this year:

NMkCD4d.jpg

And here it is on me if anyone wants to see. :P

I think Jinger's dress would look great without the ruffle, and depending on the length it would look a lot like the one in @Christina87's post.

This dress is amazing on you!!! I'm so so grateful that velvet is coming back (and Green! I find that no one wears green that much. I have a bold green dress I get complimented on every time i wear it just because no one wears it as a colour)

My friend bought me this dress for my birthday (Today!) but in an emerald green. I am SO EXCITED to wear it dancing. it's fantastic. I think Velvet will be a huge part of my 2019 wardrobe and Im not mad about it at all.

https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/unique-vintage-burgundy-red-velvet-draped-sophia-wiggle-dress?nosto=productcategory-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-1

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

okay Im bringing the vevlet-dress discussion from Jinger/Jeremy to here:

This dress is amazing on you!!! I'm so so grateful that velvet is coming back (and Green! I find that no one wears green that much. I have a bold green dress I get complimented on every time i wear it just because no one wears it as a colour)

My friend bought me this dress for my birthday (Today!) but in an emerald green. I am SO EXCITED to wear it dancing. it's fantastic. I think Velvet will be a huge part of my 2019 wardrobe and Im not mad about it at all.

https://www.unique-vintage.com/products/unique-vintage-burgundy-red-velvet-draped-sophia-wiggle-dress?nosto=productcategory-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-1

I like to wear green!! I think red heads look great in green, as do brown people with warm undertones. 

That dress is HAWT! I bet you’re going to look so awesome when you twirl.

As someone who was a little girl in the 90s, I haven’t warn velvet since then, I do associate it with being a little girl. It doesn’t have much give (I prefer knits) but it does scream HOLIDAY!

They have it in PLUS!!! Ooooooooo. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Happy birthday, @allonsyalice. Hope you have had a great day! That dress is gorgeous and MADE for dancing!

I also like the one @Valerie shared! You both will be lovely!

• Love 3

Season's Greetings to all and sundry. I'm not feeling the spirit this year at all since I'm struggling with therapy issues (meh), but I wish each and every one of you lots of strength, happiness and joy. Where would we be without a bit of snarking, eh?;-)

• Love 22
On 12/23/2018 at 10:14 AM, galaxychaser said:

I want to see Return to Marwen even tho it hasn't gotten great reviews.  I loved Steve Carrell in The Office & loved my Barbies growing up so maybe that's what's piquing my interest.

Merry Christmas to all. 🎅🤶 Hope everyone has been good this year & Santa brings everything on your lists. 

I feel blessed to have you all as my friends.  It's great that we can be here & support one another no matter what is going on in our lives. 

• Love 14

Wishing all my Small Talk friends who are celebrating a lovely holiday. And for those who have had a difficult and challenging year, I wish you a much happier New Year. It does feel special to belong to this caring group, and I treasure our cyber friendships.

• Love 24

got a sweet gift yesterday -- my texas kids arrived safe and sound! i was so happy to see them. they are with me for only 2-3 days but i will take it. my family celebrates together on christmas eve so all will be here tonight with the exception of my hubby's girls. they are busy.  i am so happy.

blessings, my friends.

• Love 19

Happy holidays to all who celebrate. We're going to the MIL's later this afternoon because she can't do the steps up to our place (she has a studio in the assisted living wing of her retirement community). Christmas will be low key, just the two of us until hubby goes off to work (he's a chef at a hospital). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 18
13 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just came home from celebrating early Christmas with my elderly parents.  My brother and I came away feeling quite sure that this is Dad's last Christmas.  He is getting so feeble, and is 99% non-verbal.  We just don't see him lasting another year. (he is 94).  This was probably my mom's last Christmas, also.  She will still be here in body next year, but she will be gone mentally.  She was asking when we were going to open presents an hour after we finished tonight.  Every week her memory is getting noticeably worse.  It is terrible to watch your parents, who were truly good parents, fade away right before your eyes.  I'm so glad we had this get-together today, but it makes me so sad that this is probably the end.

I wish everyone on this board a very Merry Christmas.  I appreciate you more than you know.

I know what you mean...I remember my grandma's last Christmas, where she seemed confused by everything, and just laughed if you looked at her, but didn't say anything else. It's not easy, but I know you will cherish the memories. Eventually, you will remember the awesome christmases with them, and this one will just be a tiny blip. I know how you are feeling (but it's got to be WAY worse with parents instead of grandparents), so just know I am sending a lot of prayers and good vibes your way. May this be a wonderful Christmas for your family!

• Love 14

Merry  Christmas to all who celebrate.  For those of us who don't I'm hoping we all have a nice day tomorrow.  We are cooking a turkey just because we need it for Mr. lookeyloo to make his annual famous gumbo.  Son and son in law will be coming to eat with us and bringing the grand puppy.  Gumbo will be made Wednesday and frozen in portion sizes that we will share with son and son in law.  We do this when we visit other son and family for Thanksgiving.  

• Love 16
16 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just came home from celebrating early Christmas with my elderly parents.  My brother and I came away feeling quite sure that this is Dad's last Christmas.  He is getting so feeble, and is 99% non-verbal.  We just don't see him lasting another year. (he is 94).  This was probably my mom's last Christmas, also.  She will still be here in body next year, but she will be gone mentally.  She was asking when we were going to open presents an hour after we finished tonight.  Every week her memory is getting noticeably worse.  It is terrible to watch your parents, who were truly good parents, fade away right before your eyes.  I'm so glad we had this get-together today, but it makes me so sad that this is probably the end.

I wish everyone on this board a very Merry Christmas.  I appreciate you more than you know.

I hear you on this. Sorry that you have to go through this. I've been there with my mom (gone 11 years) and am there now with my dad (living in a memory care facility). Losing someone in slow motion is dreadful.

I talked to Dad today and he was trying to send Amazon gift cards to my sister, husband, and me. He sent mine to the wrong email address but fortunately we own our domain name so we got the email. He sent my husband's to the wrong email address but the system told him it was invalid so called me for advice. He sent my sister's to the wrong email address but since she uses gmail, hers likely went to a stranger. Telephone tech support for someone with dementia is not the most fun I've ever had.

Happy holiday-of-choice to everyone! Who would have thought the Duggars' idiocy would result in such a great community of people.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Merry  Christmas to all who celebrate.  For those of us who don't I'm hoping we all have a nice day tomorrow.  We are cooking a turkey just because we need it for Mr. lookeyloo to make his annual famous gumbo.  Son and son in law will be coming to eat with us and bringing the grand puppy.  Gumbo will be made Wednesday and frozen in portion sizes that we will share with son and son in law.  We do this when we visit other son and family for Thanksgiving.  

Homemade gumbo sounds great. It's one of my favorites. 

• Love 8

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

We're hosting my in-laws at our house tomorrow. Fortunately my workload is pretty light. A woman who goes to my in-laws' church is an amazing caterer, so we paid her to do a bunch of side dishes, and all I have to make is a ham, turkey breast and a few desserts. 

My husband and I were at Walmart to get groceries at the crack of dawn and I was surprised at how relatively empty it was. I can only imagine the free-for-all that's ensuing right now. 

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

We're hosting my in-laws at our house tomorrow. Fortunately my workload is pretty light. A woman who goes to my in-laws' church is an amazing caterer, so we paid her to do a bunch of side dishes, and all I have to make is a ham, turkey breast and a few desserts. 

My husband and I were at Walmart to get groceries at the crack of dawn and I was surprised at how relatively empty it was. I can only imagine the free-for-all that's ensuing right now. 

If you hit the store when it opens, even on the busiest days you’ll be fine. After 11am- I wouldn’t dare go. 

Im making this for my Mom and sister tomorrow morning, taking care of my sister so my Mom can rest and opening presents. My BFF is hosting dinner at her house at 5, and I will open presents again with her family. Back to work on Wednesday. Last year I had my friend living with me and that was fun, I do miss her (she’s abroad right now) but I feel so lucky to be so loved at Christmas. I cannot wait to open my gifts because I’m 3 not 33  😍

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cranberry-orange-baked-french-toast-casserole/

• Love 18

Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating. I hope this day is warm, peaceful and everything you hope for.

My mom had a big surgery a month ago which will take 2-3 months to fully recover from, so our Christmas is subdued. I'm representing my family at the cousin's celebration tomorrow, which is honestly not something I'm looking forward to. It's loud, chaotic and hyper. I love them all, but with my mom's difficult recovery over the last month, I just want some peace and quiet and for this crappy year to be over.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm representing my family at the cousin's celebration tomorrow, which is honestly not something I'm looking forward to. It's loud, chaotic and hyper. I love them all, but with my mom's difficult recovery over the last month, I just want some peace and quiet and for this crappy year to be over.

My Christmas was like that last year. I had a horrid flu the entire week leading up to the Holiday, but felt obligated to go to the big family gathering because I'd already bagged out on several events prior. It wasn't bad, but I was just wiped and wanted to spend the day in my jammies watching bad Hallmark movies. 

One of the worst/funniest Holidays in my life was about six years back. My fresh-out-of-rehab alcoholic uncle decided he wanted to host Thanskgiving. My sister and I didn't think it was such a good idea, but my mother was like "No! It will help him feel needed!", so we caved. We show up for dinner at three o'clock but notice there's no aroma of food cooking when we enter the house. My sister and I are like wtf? and when she opens the oven door there's a raw turkey sitting in a roasting pan. Apparently my uncle went on a bender the night before and was so hungover he tossed the bird in the oven and forgot to turn it on!!! We ended up eating rolled up cold cuts with the side dishes. Good times. At least my uncle is sober now, thankfully....

• Love 18

For those of us celebrating, Merry Christmas!  For others, I hope you're having a pleasant night and a peaceful day tomorrow.  

Our family is Swedish & Danish mix so Christmas Eve is the "big event".   Unfortunately, I'm disorganized and way over extended so our beautiful smorgasbord is not going well at all.  I forgot to make some foods, the dining room is messy and I have basically run out of energy.  I told my husband that I will pull it together tomorrow instead; we will have a smorgasbord lunch of some kind.  ;)  

Is it just me?  When I was younger, all the females and some males would help prepare and cook. It was a bonding experience. Lots of laughing and love.  My teens are standing around like "huh?".  I'm getting a little annoyed that no one seems to care about any traditional foods or traditions.  My little ones are doing arts and crafts, which is fine. Why is getting a teen to help, in 2018, such a challenge????  AGH!!!!!!!!!   

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a blessed day.  I didn't catch up on the posts so I hope you are all well. 

Love to you all.

• Love 17

[b}Christina87[/b] - you are a sweet gal and any man that plays pick up sticks with your emotions isn't worth the time.  Screw him.  You've realized this already (thank heavens) and I'm glad you are gonna give him the shake off.  People like that...it's maddening because you want to be the better person, be fair, be civil...but some people just ain't worth the effort baby.  

I'm sorry about Kiwi as well -  I always say I love my animals way more than real people.  We have been lucky in that our elderly kitty has been pretty stable now for a bit but the decline is really becoming more noticable.  We've had extra time and I'm glad of that.  He's not suffering yet, still eating, but he seems a bit more confused and his gait isn't what it should be.  When everyday is torture and he shows signs of pain that will be it.  I'm not taking this one in...I've done the last two and my father's cat is also elderly and declining as well, and guess who's job that's going to be?  

We aren't doing a damned thing this year on X-mas day, other than finding a breakfast place open and going to see Aquaman hopefully.  Nobody is coming over, I didn't have to wrangle a menu for people, I didn't have to do deep cleaning around the house, you know, the shameful cleaning session when you realize oh shit, I haven't dusted the bookshelf in a month deal.  I'm so friggin happy!  I can't tell you how many holidays I hosted - I'd do X-mas Eve dinner for my one set of grandparents, then X-mas Eve with Mr Malotte's family, then have some fun cousins and drop in friends for X-mas Eve night - which was the fun part of the holiday, we'd stay up and do our own riff track session to whatever Pope's High Mass and Three Stooges Marathons til the early AM hours.  Then I'd have my mom's family over  on X-mas Day.  Oh yeah...busy times.  And that included Turkey Day and Easter.

My teens are standing around like "huh?".  I'm getting a little annoyed that no one seems to care about any traditional foods or traditions.

They may not now, but 20 odd years from now when they have their own littles they will remember.  Bring out your inner drill sergeant and assign duties to whatever teen.  You do this, you do this, you do this...keep 'em occupied even if they don't like it.  They'll learn by osmosis, and who knows, one day one of those teens may surprise you and be the champion family recipe keeper.  Or they may come up with their own new traditions.    

I do think of Arwen and our various others that are missing and to all of you that have been ill as of late I send lots of good thoughts your way.  May you all have a lovely holiday and my gosh, let's all have a Happy New Year!

• Love 24

Speaking of alcoholic uncles...do you have libations available at your gatherings if someone with an alcohol problem will be attending? We have soft drinks, bottled water, flavored water and tea in addition to beer, wine and whatever.  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Speaking of alcoholic uncles...do you have libations available at your gatherings if someone with an alcohol problem will be attending? We have soft drinks, bottled water, flavored water and tea in addition to beer, wine and whatever.  

If the person is NEWLY sober (as in less than 6months) having a dry event would be considerate. However if they’ve been sober for a while I’m sure they have adjusted to going to social gatherings with alcohol. 

• Love 11

Do you US lot get any time off over Christmas? Here, we'll have 2 proper Bank Holiday days, 25th and 26th, and usually at least half a day off for the 24th. 

What about 1st January, is that a Bank holiday or do you have to take a holiday if you want it off?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Marigold said:

For those of us celebrating, Merry Christmas!  For others, I hope you're having a pleasant night and a peaceful day tomorrow.  

Our family is Swedish & Danish mix so Christmas Eve is the "big event".   Unfortunately, I'm disorganized and way over extended so our beautiful smorgasbord is not going well at all.  I forgot to make some foods, the dining room is messy and I have basically run out of energy.  I told my husband that I will pull it together tomorrow instead; we will have a smorgasbord lunch of some kind.  ;)  

Is it just me?  When I was younger, all the females and some males would help prepare and cook. It was a bonding experience. Lots of laughing and love.  My teens are standing around like "huh?".  I'm getting a little annoyed that no one seems to care about any traditional foods or traditions.  My little ones are doing arts and crafts, which is fine. Why is getting a teen to help, in 2018, such a challenge????  AGH!!!!!!!!!   

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a blessed day.  I didn't catch up on the posts so I hope you are all well. 

Love to you all.

Our family is Polish, and have always done the traditional Christmas Eve dinner (mostly fish courses - three or four of them depending how you count, as well as a beet soup with "uszka" which are like little mushroom-filled tortellini) plus desserts. My dad has been gone for two years now, and even though Mom is slowing down a lot, she was always able to take care of a couple of starter courses, and I would do the main ones, but this year was the first time I had to do it all by myself, with the added challenge of a vegan brother-in-law, for whom I still wanted to make adaptations of everything on the menu, and a son-in-law who is allergic to shellfish, so there was at least one course that I had to make differently for him as well. I more or less pulled it off, but it wasn't the best cooking I've ever done. Everyone appeared to have a good time, though, so at least there's that. 

Standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings for dinner today, so that will be a bit easier. Vegan brother-in-law and vegetarian (pescatarian) daughter will get Portabella mushroom caps, but otherwise no major differences in menu. Guess I should start thinking about getting that into the oven soon. Even though I haven't even finished washing all the dishes from last night yet!

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Do you US lot get any time off over Christmas? Here, we'll have 2 proper Bank Holiday days, 25th and 26th, and usually at least half a day off for the 24th. 

What about 1st January, is that a Bank holiday or do you have to take a holiday if you want it off?

It depends on where you work. I work retail and my company closes the stores Christmas day and New Years day,unless your shopping center requires the stores to be open. We also get Christmas day and New Years day as a paid holiday if you are full time. Part time employees do not get paid.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Dec 25 and Jan 1 are federal holidays (your equivalent to bank holidays- no banking or mail). I work in the financial industry and I didn’t take vacation around this time so I’m working the rest of the week. Xmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years Eve are not Federal Holidays in the USA although many people do take vacation and small businesses may chose to close those days. 

• Love 4

And on another topic, I keep reading "don't wash your turkey"  spreads more germs, etc.  But, once the wrapper comes off it is very wet and to get the innards out there is a lot of splashing, etc.  Maybe if we went to the meat market and got a fresh turkey all wrapped in butcher paper it would be different.  Anyway, one turkey in oven, one in roaster, and my hands are washed.  Now I am going to disinfect the sink and counter top and hope raw turkey liquid didn't splash anywhere else.  If you never hear from me again....

• Love 17

I hope everyone is having whatever kind of day you had hoped for!  It's just Mr. Six & I with the kitties today, and lunch/dinner is grab what you want.  His parents and my mom (my dad passed away 8 years ago) will be in town tomorrow, and we're hosting dinner, but I get the privilege of cooking it all.  They leave Friday, and our Tuxedo kitty has his well-kitty visit in the evening.  That'll be fun...said no one ever.  

The governor of Maryland decided to give state employees a 4-day weekend and declared Monday a state holiday.  Courts, magistrates, and some DOT agencies were closed, but trash & recycling were not.  We took a load of cardboard to the recycling center yesterday, and that place was crazy busy.  I also needed a script filled, so we ran into Whole Foods, and they were stupid busy.  Our weather was/is decent, and we have no chance of snow in the 10-day forecast.  As Jill says, "Yaaaay!!!"  Mr. Six gets 4 weeks of paid vacation every year, and he's only allowed to carry so much over, so he takes a bulk of it now.  He's off all this week and will go back next Wednesday.  There will be a very small skeleton crew this week at his office.  I think it's the normal in his professional industry (engineering), so he shouldn't have many emails to deal with.  So far, he's not irritating me too much ;)

• Love 9

On one of the many years I worked night shift on Christmas Eve, I decided to stop by the grocery store on my way home about 7:30 AM Christmas morning.  The only market open was a large Safeway (big chain grocery), and the parking lot was filled.  Inside, it was packed.  People were actually running through the store, carts crashing into other carts, people asking other people where to find items, and everyone yelling "Merry Christmas" as they ran into another cart.  Everyone was having such a good time shopping.  It was really fun to see so many strangers helping other strangers.  Most of the people were there to do a "quick" last-minute pick-up of special items, but there were several shoppers who were doing their shopping for the whole week.  It was quite an experience.  Who knew shopping could be such a festive occasion?

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Dec 25 and Jan 1 are federal holidays (your equivalent to bank holidays- no banking or mail). I work in the financial industry and I didn’t take vacation around this time so I’m working the rest of the week. Xmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Years Eve are not Federal Holidays in the USA although many people do take vacation and small businesses may chose to close those days. 

I was a federal employee for 31 years.  (VA hospital).  Yes, December 25th and January 1st were federal holidays, but the exciting thing is if those days fell on a Saturday or Sunday, they made the Friday or Monday the federal holiday.  Giving us a 3 day weekend. Also, if the actual holiday fell on a Tuesday (like this year) or a Friday, each year the president could declare Christmas Eve or New years Eve a holiday, too. Regardless of the day, the president could also allow us 4 hours off with pay on either Christmas Eve or New year's Eve.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, louannems said:

I was a federal employee for 31 years.  (VA hospital).  Yes, December 25th and January 1st were federal holidays, but the exciting thing is if those days fell on a Saturday or Sunday, they made the Friday or Monday the federal holiday.  Giving us a 3 day weekend. Also, if the actual holiday fell on a Tuesday (like this year) or a Friday, each year the president could declare Christmas Eve or New years Eve a holiday, too. Regardless of the day, the president could also allow us 4 hours off with pay on either Christmas Eve or New year's Eve.

I did love that Xmas was on Sunday two years ago so everyone had Boxing Day off. It was unseasonably warm that year so everyone was OUT on the 26th at various lighting events and outdoor festivals. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I work in a law firm.  Miraculously our office was closed all day for Christmas Eve (usually we are open half a day) and closed for Christmas.  We're open again on the 26th.  I'm working Wednesday - Friday.  The office is open on Monday the 31st, but I'm taking the day off because I really didn't want to work Monday and then off again on Tuesday for New Year's.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Catfin said:

My side of the family always has beer and wine, but my husband's side never has alcohol. I'm one of those people who likes an occasional cocktail or glass of wine, but it doesn't make or break my enjoyment of a party. I'd be fine if someone chose to throw a dry gathering out of respect for someone with addiction issues.

• Love 12

Here’s a funny story...

My uncle and his son decided without discussing it with me ( oh brother) ...

that I will inherit (that’s the word they used!) my uncles disabled adult daughter. 

She lives with her mom, who is alive and well. I guess they are preparing for the future.  My cousins grandma is like 85 and is fine.  I don’t get why I’m going to inherit her like a family heirloom rings or something.

merry Christmas to all. I’m home all day watching baking show on abc with Paul Hollywood. I like cooking shows.

3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Our family is Polish, and have always done the traditional Christmas Eve dinner (mostly fish courses - three or four of them depending how you count, as well as a beet soup with "uszka" which are like little mushroom-filled tortellini) plus desserts. My dad has been gone for two years now, and even though Mom is slowing down a lot, she was always able to take care of a couple of starter courses, and I would do the main ones, but this year was the first time I had to do it all by myself, with the added challenge of a vegan brother-in-law, for whom I still wanted to make adaptations of everything on the menu, and a son-in-law who is allergic to shellfish, so there was at least one course that I had to make differently for him as well. I more or less pulled it off, but it wasn't the best cooking I've ever done. Everyone appeared to have a good time, though, so at least there's that. 

Standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings for dinner today, so that will be a bit easier. Vegan brother-in-law and vegetarian (pescatarian) daughter will get Portabella mushroom caps, but otherwise no major differences in menu. Guess I should start thinking about getting that into the oven soon. Even though I haven't even finished washing all the dishes from last night yet!

My grandpa was polish. I never met him, but still am part polish.

• Love 7