Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Bullseye

• Start Topic

I love most of the freaks so much that I wish there could be a spin-off of them just living in an apartment building together without bigots and serial killers constantly popping up. Like Friends or something.

Now, here is a show I would watch!

Freaks in the City?

• Love 5

Thank God they didn't kill Ma Petite!

I think Jyoti Amge the actress would HATE to be carried around like a baby in a pink onesie or used as a human teddy bear, but I feel like Ma Petite's back story is a bit different.

This. She's an actress playing a character, like everybody else. And I'd love to  know more about Ma Petite's past, btw. Her innocence can't be a lie  or she would have freaked out inside that jar, but she seems to be way more intelligent than  Pepper and Salty. 

My hate for Elsa keeps growing and  growing. What an awful human being. 

I really don't know who's more delusional, Dot or Bette. Every  time Dot thinks about getting rid of her sister I'd like to ask her how in the hell is that going to work.  I doubt  that kind of surgery is  possible even now. Otoh, their scenes with Dandy were awesome. And Dandy, omg! He was hilarious. I'm still angry with him for killing Matt Bomer, but the actor's doing such a great job. 

• Love 5
Maybe Ma Petite is so innocent she wouldn't even know/care about sex going on in front of her. Still, it was weird.

She strikes me as pretty innocent in real life too. In the interview in Rahul's post she says that she's never thought about marriage and says she'd even say no if a famous actor asked her. 

• Love 1

I see no appeal in Dot and Bette. Ok with Dandy, I guess it's the 2-headed thing. But did the other show performers really have that much of a bond to be so concerned about them? How long had the twins even been with the show before Elsa sold them? Neither has any personality to speak of in just don't get it.

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of Dot and Bette. They can exit stage right. Right now.

• Love 4

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of Dot and Bette. They can exit stage right. Right now.

I thought I was alone. I think after Sarah Paulson played Lana Winters, all of her other characters fall flat. I don't care for Bette and Dot and I was pleasantly surprised when I thought Stanley had sold them to the 'museum of horrors' chick. I should have known not to count on Ryan Murphy to do something actually ballsy. The fakeout was so disappointing.

• Love 5

Pauls had a few scenes showing hes an average mans height.

Dots still a selfish B.

Bettes still oblivious.

Uhmmm

Was hoping ma patite would die. The whole "little baby" thing is old. PLUS someone just needs to die.

Uh Elsa is losing it.

Love Dandy. Hes much more interesting than Twisty. Idk what reason they'll use resurrect his character?? Eh.

I hope dell doesn't cut off jimmys hands.

Also I was thinking someone should cut off what's his names big penis and give it to the museum.

My theory for season five is Alice in wonderland (though super cliche) vibe but I REALLY WANT it to have some STEAMPUNK.

REASON WHY: The top hat, the mad hatter

dandys crochet game in his room

Elsa giving candy the card at the hospital and her getting drugged etc.

The use of opium.

Twistys smile looks alot like Cheshire cat.

(I didn't come up with these)

• Love 1

Poor Ma Petit! Glad she wasn't killed. She is so freaking adorable that I want her to live till the end of the season and get to ride on a pony!

It was hard for me to see Pepper and her boyfriend being screamed at by Elsa, they looked so hurt.

The actor playing Dandy is so good especially his freakout scene after reading Dot's diary.

Paul is really handsome and he reminds me of a young Brad Pitt from the "Thelma and Louise" era. And his accent is to die for. He definitely deserves more leading roles after this.

Otherwise, boring episode. Elsa is my least favorite Jessica Lange AHS character by far.

• Love 4

I think Elsa told everyone she called an ambulance. but they just didn't show up. No one challenged her.

Speaking of challenging Elsa, I was pretty surprised when Ethel said she'd kill Elsa if she found she was lying about the twins. Didn't see that coming, but perhaps because Ethel is dying, I shouldn't have been shocked she'd throw caution to the wind.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 3

In my book this show is no longer "horror". I feel cheated.

Yet again Ryan Murphy takes a great idea & fucks it up - I'll never get pumped over his creations again.

Add to that the fact there is no more Twisty = I'm out.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 3
A closeup of the tray showed one of said snackies was a box of Good 'N Plenty.

And that is how we know she's a nutter. Good 'N Plenty tastes like licorice was forced into marriage with a pencil eraser and had a bunch of deeply resented children.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

I will finish out the season but I think this will also be the last one I watch.  I do not like most of the characters and the few I do care for I feel it's more because I already like the actor.  I do think this has been better then Coven but I feel the last two episodes started the decline.

dandys crochet game in his room

What about that 7ft horse in this room or all the stuffed animals?  Weird man. 

All in all I am loving this season even with the lack of actual horror.  There is enough wonderful set pieces and entertaining characters to make up for the silliness of the story. 

• Love 3

I'm also starting to tire of the fake-outs. I get that many of the deaths are supposedly Stanley's wild imagination taking over and showing what he wants to do, but it's almost like we have too many potential villains--Dandy, Elsa, Stanley, Penny's dad--and none of them are actually doing anything horrible other than talking about doing something horrible. Without Twisty, the focus is gone (which I knew was coming, because it's typical of Ryan Murphy and this show) and now it's turning into a mess. 

And what of the police? Are they just out of the picture now that Twisty was caught? No one cares about the twins or the missing cop that Jimmy killed?

I'll keep watching because I like the "freaks" in the show (count me in on them having a Friends-like spinoff) and Finn Wittrock is awesomely chewing the scenery like a champ, but without Twisty there's nothing scary left.

• Love 2

I'm getting tired of all the fakeouts.  They killed Dot and Bette...no they didn't.  They killed Ma Petite...no they didn't.  Now I'm not going to get scared when they kill someone, because I'll think it's all just an imagining.

Oh, and on what someone said above about killing Bette or separating them, it's not possible.  They are two heads sharing one body.  You only separate conjoined twins sometimes if they don't share any major organs (except the kidneys since there are at least two and you only need one), and they aren't too "stuck together", otherwise it gets too complicated with the veins and arteries.  And Dot can't kill Bette because they've shown that Bette controls her side of the body, so if she dies then Dot would have a dead left arm and leg.  You couldn't remove Bette's head without severe risk of Dot bleeding to death.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

Finn Wittrock is awesomely chewing the scenery like a champ

What gets me (in a great way) about his performance is one minute he's over-the-top chewing scenery in the most entertaining way, the next he's changing his expression so subtly it's a hundred times more chilling than the tantrums. Wittrock is really knocking it out of the park.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 6
Someone upthread said it and I'm going to call it now--we'll see Stanley's giant dong in a museum case by the end of the season.

The only reason I have my doubts is because I question whether or not they'd be able to show that on basic cable.

• Love 4
You couldn't remove Bette's head without severe risk of Dot bleeding to death.

Apparently that is what Dot thinks is going to happen though; she'll simply have Bette's head lopped off like it was an ugly mole & move on.  Her fantasy with Jimmy showed her as a normal looking lady, not missing one arm & leg.  BTW can't Dot & Bette read each other thoughts?  Shouldn't Bette know what Dot wants to do?

Count me in on disliking the fake out deaths.  It was amusing last episode with the museum but it's only been two episodes and the gag is already getting old.  I would have been sad if Ma Petit died just as I was when Meep died but I would have gotten over it!  Plus the death of a beloved character would have made me come back to see what happens next (!!)  How would the other characters act/say/do when they found out Ma died?!  It's like last season when there was no reason to get upset when someone did die because I knew they would be back in like 30 mins.

• Love 3

In my book this show is no longer "horror". I feel cheated.

Yet again Ryan Murphy takes a great idea & fucks it up - I'll never get pumped over his creations again.

Add to that the fact there is no more Twisty = I'm out.

I know what you mean, but I probably will be back. If not just for his musical choices, which I adore. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1

Is it just me or does Kathy Bates quietly steal every scene she's in? The woman is a Goddess.

I thought she was great in Coven but I'm not feeling her here. Between the weird accent and the beard, she's one of my least favorite characters.

• Love 1
-Dandy, Elsa, Stanley, Penny's dad--and none of them are actually doing anything horrible other than talking about doing something horrible.

Well, to be fair, I'd consider what Dandy did to Dora and Matt Bomer pretty horrible.

• Love 3
Dandy, Elsa, Stanley, Penny's dad--and none of them are actually doing anything horrible other than talking about doing something horrible.

Well, to be fair, I'd consider what Dandy did to Dora and Matt Bomer pretty horrible.

I agree and understand both these statements.  I think what's missing is a true, straight up, baddie like Twisty.  Although we did find out why he did what he did and it came across as sympathetic but for the majority of the time he was on the show he was just a crazy, kill, kill, kill kinda clown.  With Dandy he's an actor with no heart one minute, in love the next, and back to being murderous the next.  I understand why the character is wishy washy but his here-there-and-everywhere kinda story doesn't really lend itself to evil, IMO, the way Twisty was.

Don't get me wrong I like the Dandy character and the actor that portrays him but Twisty he is not.

• Love 1

Another fashion/television blog I read (Tom and Lorenzo) put it best--it's scarier when the viewer identifies with the killer's victims rather than the killer himself. Twisty was horrifying before we learned his backstory...his appearance was scary enough but the fact that we had no idea who he was or why he killed really upped the suspense.  We already know who Dandy is when he's not in killer-mode, so while what he is DOING may be horrifying, there's really no genuine terror felt from the audience. It's more like, "Oh, I guess he actually went through with it."

Edited by rubinia
  • Love 6

Now I'm concerned we're going to get a bloodbath montage of the troupe being murdered, but then it's revealed as a fake-out which is actually a dream about a flashback and somebody wakes up screaming because it was all real!

• Love 2

The only reason I have my doubts is because I question whether or not they'd be able to show that on basic cable.

Having to blur or pixelate hasn't stopped other shows, and it means they can sell an uncensored version. They'll just have to have the museum lady say what it is they have that used to belong to Stanley.

I agree the fakeouts are getting old and it breaks the tension if there is no real danger, but I have to say they'd better not kill off Paul. They made me love Twisty, then killed him. Now they're making me love Paul, and I want him to be the hero of the show. I adore Mat Fraser, and I'd really like to see him get work after this. How awesome would it be to see him as the new wacky neighbor on Modern Family or a judge on The Good Wife? They can mention once that he had some birth defects, but otherwise treat him as a regular person and give him character traits other than "freak." If nothing else, let him run the Amazing Race. Now THAT I'd watch.

• Love 5
I adore Mat Fraser, and I'd really like to see him get work after this. How awesome would it be to see him as the new wacky neighbor on Modern Family or a judge on The Good Wife?

He and his showgirl beautiful wife seem to have had quite the career prior to this by showcasing his differences (although not necessarily the focus of shows, definitely a factor), plus he's had a fairly successful music career. He seems to me like he might not have any interest in playing something that didn't make use of his unusual assets/attributes.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 2

From the Media thread:

AVC: What are you hoping your next step will be?

MF: The outcome I want out of this, besides more acting work, that’s the idea. I love playing the freak. It’s kind of a no-brainer to cast me as a freak. How difficult would it be to cast me as the father, the neighbor, the judge? I don’t know, but I’d fucking like to find out.

• Love 5

So what exactly is the age difference between Paul and the nurse? I forgot her name, because the actress looks like she in her 20's and 30's. But her character age, she must still be in high school? Paul character must be in his 40's? I'm just wondering if it illegal or not.

But would a woman in her 20s be threatened with reform school? 

Crazy parents threaten all kinds of things. I've been threatened with Hell, damnation, and exclusion from the family from doing harmless things like dating to buying a house, and I am way past reform school age. If the girl is still in that in-between age (18-20ish), the father might automatically be thinking of those options rather than anything else because he still sees her as a child.

• Love 1

So what exactly is the age difference between Paul and the nurse? I forgot her name, because the actress looks like she in her 20's and 30's. But her character age, she must still be in high school? Paul character must be in his 40's? I'm just wondering if it illegal or not.

Grace Gummer is 28, but both Penny the candy striper & Millie the student witch (her Coven character) are younger than that.

Paul & Penny haven't had sex since the orgy.

I must have fallen asleep and missed it, but how do we know about Stanley's giant dong?

http://www.out.com/entertainment/television/2014/11/06/denis-ohare-american-horror-story-penis-no-joke

It’s safe to say that Denis O’Hare made a distinct, um, impression as Stanley in his debut in the third episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show. After Maggie (Emma Roberts) relays that she's infiltrated Elsa’s (Jessica Lange) circus of carnies, Stanley is seen on the other end of the phone line while simultaneously enjoying the presence of a sexy gentleman caller. It's the guest, however, who is left breathless when he realizes what kind of freak Stanley is. “[He has] a 13-inch penis," creator Ryan Murphy revealed in a recent interview. "And that’s all I’m going to say about that.”

I must have fallen asleep and missed it, but how do we know about Stanley's giant dong?

ETA: editorgrrl beat me and also answered my question. 

WORD to whoever said that Kathy steals every one of her scenes. Honestly, I don't even mind her accent, since KB is giving such a great subtle performance otherwise. I hope she holds true to her promise and kills Elsa. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 2

Crazy parents threaten all kinds of things. I've been threatened with Hell, damnation, and exclusion from the family from doing harmless things like dating to buying a house, and I am way past reform school age. If the girl is still in that in-between age (18-20ish), the father might automatically be thinking of those options rather than anything else because he still sees her as a child.

It could be a college, didn't during that time they had all women's college were kinda reform schools?

From the Media thread:

I stand corrected. :). Also, this totally quoted wrong but I'm in the bathtub on my iPad and can't correct it. It's in reference to my earlier comment that Mat likes playing freaks. I see he's ready to do more.

Also, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I've seen plenty of jarred penises (penii?) on shows like Mysteries at the Museum. I think there's a chance we may see a disembodied dong in a jar.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 2

I think Elsa told everyone she called an ambulance. but they just didn't show up. No one challenged her.

I'm not really surprised that no one kipped at the ambulance failing to show up, because the ambulance would've known it was being expected to service "Freaktown".  Kind of diabolically clever writing and plotting; even if there's also room to think that since Jimmy saved the kids he might get some extra consideration, such has no doubt traditionally been the opposite experience for the performers.

I feel like there are a number of endgames for the characters that they're almost spelling out for us. Stanley's penis being displayed in the museum; Ethel killing Elsa; one (or both) of Sarah Paulson's heads coming off one way or another; and Dandy becoming disfigured and winding up in the same freak show he was so desperate to be a part of.

Will they actually go there? I'd really like the show to zig when we expect it to zag...but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I've seen plenty of jarred penises

I desperately, desperately hope I have a chance to say this at some point in my life.

• Love 6

I stand corrected. :). Also, this totally quoted wrong but I'm in the bathtub on my iPad and can't correct it. It's in reference to my earlier comment that Mat likes playing freaks. I see he's ready to do more

It's not only the mobile version—you can't quote a quote within a quote. In the full version, you have to quote both quotes. On your iPad, you have to quote the first one, select & cut it from the reply box, then go back & reply to the second quote and paste the first quote into your reply.

Edited by editorgrrl

Oh, and on what someone said above about killing Bette or separating them, it's not possible.  They are two heads sharing one body.  You only separate conjoined twins sometimes if they don't share any major organs (except the kidneys since there are at least two and you only need one), and they aren't too "stuck together", otherwise it gets too complicated with the veins and arteries.  And Dot can't kill Bette because they've shown that Bette controls her side of the body, so if she dies then Dot would have a dead left arm and leg.  You couldn't remove Bette's head without severe risk of Dot bleeding to death.

That's what I thought, too, but I recently watched a special on American twins that have one body and two heads. There was a doctor who talked about separation. He didn't say it was impossible, only that it would result in a level of disability (losing one arm and one leg) and loss of opportunities that would probably be worse than living the way they had been living all their life.

Of course, in the early 50s, it probably would be much more likely to result in death.

If they had really killed off Ma Petite...she is truly the most innocent of them all, and her adorable giggles and sweet, overly trusting nature. This is when this show truly touches on the very depths of depravity and the horrific to me, even hinting at the idea one such as her precious self could be harmed, let alone murdered so heartlessly for the most selfish of reasons.

Dandy is...wow, just wow. But my word the actor is playing the ever loving hell out of the role, he's been pretty fantastic.

Yeah. I was relieved when they didn't go there.

Earlier in the season, I commented that I couldn't find much sympathy for any of the freaks. I had forgotten about Ma Petite. She wouldn't hurt a fly. I'm starting to warm up to some of the others. Jimmy's supposed to be the "savior" of the group, I guess.

Dandy is creepy, creepy, creepy. But yeah, that would be an excellent role to play and the actor is loving it.

I think I recall someone here mentioning that Twisty would come back as a ghost and a theory popped into my head, if that's what's going to happen.