Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Who considers them a super couple?  I like them but I haven't seen anyone call them that.

Besides their stans? Nobody but then again I think the Supercouple phenomenon died in the 90s Jack/Jennifer were the last one in Days.

1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Like CanaryFan98 said, chemistry is subjective. I think Gabi/Stefan have some chemistry but not supercouple chemistry. And I disagree with you about some of the other pairings like Eric/Sarah and Eric/Nicole. Chemistry or not, there is no real foundation to this supposed epic love between Gabi/Stefan. If either one of them were cornered and asked what it was that they loved about the other, beyond great in bed and liking how devious they think the other one is, I can't imagine what else it is they love, or even like, about the other.

Exactly! Bo/Hope, Jack/Jennifer, Steve/Kayla etc you saw why they fell for each other and know why the characters feel that way.

Course they were fleshed out characters and pairings something Days hasn't done in ages with their pairings and it shows.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Who considers them a super couple?  I like them but I haven't seen anyone call them that.

Yeah Im a big Gabi/Stefan fan. I follow many other fellow fans and I rarely see the term "supercouple" being used.

Cin fans on the other hand? Oy. 

• Love 3

I. A Gabi and Stefan fan too, and I felt that if BB became a permanent member on DOOL they had huge potential to get to a power couple role on the show. Hopefully, they do bring Brandon back, cause him and Camila work amazing together and he really did his damn thing as Stefan.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I must be blind. I don’t see any difference. It looks like she wears too much makeup but I don’t think she looks any different. She’s only 38 years old. What could possibly have done? Just curious.

It's in her cheeks, to my eyes, which now sit somehow higher on her face or something....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lastwaltz said:

It's in her cheeks, to my eyes, which now sit somehow higher on her face or something....

She has that fake doll like skin also which is creepy looking. Like a mannequin. 

13 hours ago, RedRockRosie said:

Between the plastic surgery or whatever she has done there are those hideous eyebrows that too many women seem to have these days! Makes her look like a strange angry bird. It's so sad what these beautiful young women do to themselves. I can't even stand to look at her anymore.😥 What a shame.

Groucho Marx eyebrows. Is make-up and grooming a fashion trend now? Looks terrible. Those fake eyebrows are doing no one a favor. Don't be a sheep!

• Love 4

Supercouples happened by accident, and then writers started trying to create them.  However, at one point, if a couple, character, or SL wasn't working the writers would back off and try something else.  Now they continue to force the issue.  If the fans don't like something, instead of trying to fix it, they tell the viewers they are stupid or to watch something else.

I guess there were possibilities with Gabi/Stefen, Eric/Nicole, etc., but the SLs were botched from the very beginning.

• Love 6

I think Ben/Ciara ,  Gabi/Stefan and Sarah/xander all had potential but its the writing that failed them.   Everything is so rushed today that they don't give you enough time to feel invested.    Xander should be hiding his feelings from Sarah. Ben should feel self loathing for what he did. Ciara should have a life and career outside of him.   So much potential but Ron has failed them all. 

• Love 9
On 10/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, JBC344 said:

What was up with the Chloe jab? Jeez, the character isn't even there anymore. Leave it to Julie to ruin a perfectly good send off by randomly insulting Chloe. 

For a second while reminiscing, I actually thought she was going to pay Chloe a compliment. Mention that she was grateful to Chloe after all because now they have Doug's Place 2. 

Chloe might still be part owner and that is why Julie is nasty to her behind her back.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, Katy M said:

I'm assuming since regular death means n othing on this show, brain death will mean nothing and Stefan will just sit up in a couple of days and start walking and talking.  sigh.

I haven't watched in  months, so good to see J&J back together.  

Hopefully the show goes this route because I don't think them showing all but dead Julie is a coincidence.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I must be blind. I don’t see any difference. It looks like she wears too much makeup but I don’t think she looks any different. She’s only 38 years old. What could possibly have done? Just curious.

She looks like an ode to plastic surgery to me. It is so bad, I can't really enjoy her scenes because I wind up feeling bad that the actress felt the need to do this to herself.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

However, at one point, if a couple, character, or SL wasn't working the writers would back off and try something else.  Now they continue to force the issue.  If the fans don't like something, instead of trying to fix it, they tell the viewers they are stupid or to watch something else.

I agree that TPTB would rather just move forward with stuff even if the fans hate it, but the fact that they film 8 fucking months in advance kills any chance they have to course correct. I think that ridiculous schedule is the biggest factor in how horrible the show is currently.

1 hour ago, SnK said:

Everything is so rushed today that they don't give you enough time to feel invested.   

Yea really. So many stories/pairings have potential but the writing doesn't put in any effort so there's no reason to be invested in anything.

• Love 6

Stefan has no potential until he admits what he did to Abigail was wrong.

As for Julie, the half-hearted racial undertones Ron inserted are really neither here nor there, because Julie had every right to hate Gabi for covering up the murder of thrown-under-the-bus Nick and it was a throughline that was understandable, while very tiresome at times.

Throwing in sudden racial elements there where they never were before in this particular throughline, along with amnesiac Jack daring to want to deport a useless undocumented lump who had done NOTHING to address her status in the, I’m being generous here, five or so years since she turned eighteen, just stinks of one-sided propaganda here.

Let’s move on to actual stories rather than political statements, or if there have to be political statements, present both sides.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bobcat1946 said:

Chloe might still be part owner and that is why Julie is nasty to her behind her back.

Yeah Chloe still is part owner, it just seemed like a useless jab since Chloe has moved away. Plus they sort of had Chloe and Julie come to an understanding, especially during Holly's "death". 

They were also reminiscing about having Doug's Place 2, which they wouldn't have without Chloe.

I just think it would of made more sense for Julie to mention that her and Chloe made unconventional partners but they did accomplish something great.  

• Love 8

I agree that TPTB would rather just move forward with stuff even if the fans hate it, but the fact that they film 8 fucking months in advance kills any chance they have to course correct. I think that ridiculous schedule is the biggest factor in how horrible the show is currently.

I am wondering if sometimes the show does see when a couple or SL is a fail before they receive the fan feed back.   JJ and Haley have suddenly disappeared.  Haley has been MIA for awhile.   I hope someone there recognized how bad the actor and that SL were.  Maybe there is some hope. lol

Edited by SnK
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, SnK said:

I am wondering if sometimes the show does see when a couple or SL is a fail before they receive the fan feed back.   JJ and Haley have suddenly disappeared.  Haley has been MIA for awhile.   I hope someone there recognized how bad the actor and that SL were.  Maybe there is some hope. lol

Except that sudden disappearance was at least 6 months into the storyline and after it was resolved. And in the spoiler thread you'll have your answer to what becomes of JJ/Haley later on. However it was already too late. If they had a closer tape to air schedule they could've put her in Tripp's orbit instead. Maybe JJ could've resurrected something with Eve while she was married to Jack(and it would be far preferable to me as I think JJ/Eve have way more chem than Jack/Eve did)

41 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah Chloe still is part owner, it just seemed like a useless jab since Chloe has moved away. Plus they sort of had Chloe and Julie come to an understanding, especially during Holly's "death". 

They were also reminiscing about having Doug's Place 2, which they wouldn't have without Chloe.

I just think it would of made more sense for Julie to mention that her and Chloe made unconventional partners but they did accomplish something great.  

Two women actually respecting one another and their differences without resorting to being juvenile? In today's soap? Where men are the ones who write it?

Surely you jest!(sarcasm btw)

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 4

I wonder if because the show tapes so far out they could have anticipated the sex appeal BB & CB were going to have. Who in their right mind would kill of a character like Stefan & lose BB. Unless, he knew from the get go it was a short term thing. I understand short term but how about let’s see the reaction then decide. That said, with SN returning they needed to free up money.  The Days shooting schedule really fu@k this show up. IMO!

• Love 2

Maybe but I was also never under the impression that Ron cared about Stefan beyond the DID storyline either. When that was a total flop and TC had to leave I think they stopped caring about Stefan. I mean its not as if Stefan got a ton of airtime with BB compared to when TC was in the role. He made the most of it though.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, katie9918 said:

As for Julie, the half-hearted racial undertones Ron inserted are really neither here nor there, because Julie had every right to hate Gabi for covering up the murder of thrown-under-the-bus Nick and it was a throughline that was understandable, while very tiresome at times.

And yet, Julie's derogatory and bigoted statements about Gabi were right in character for Julie.  Ron didn't make that up, or if he did, it was entirely believable.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I wonder if because the show tapes so far out they could have anticipated the sex appeal BB & CB were going to have. Who in their right mind would kill of a character like Stefan & lose BB. Unless, he knew from the get go it was a short term thing. I understand short term but how about let’s see the reaction then decide. That said, with SN returning they needed to free up money.  The Days shooting schedule really fu@k this show up. IMO!

Brandon did an instagram live chat last week and he was indeed told early on it was short term. He said he was told that he was told he would be there a month, maybe two but that he ended up there seven months..but yea no way did they anticipate the Stabi popularity and why the ridiculous filming schedule sucks.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, katie9918 said:

Stefan has no potential until he admits what he did to Abigail was wrong.

Throwing in sudden racial elements there where they never were before in this particular throughline, along with amnesiac Jack daring to want to deport a useless undocumented lump who had done NOTHING to address her status in the, I’m being generous here, five or so years since she turned eighteen, just stinks of one-sided propaganda here.

Let’s move on to actual stories rather than political statements, or if there have to be political statements, present both sides.

Julie has always been mean-spirited and snide to anyone she decided she didn't like.  That's nothing new.  Her attitude about Nick, disregarding the hurtful and hateful things he did to others, people Julie purported to love, especially how she ignored their pain and instead canonized Nick, was pretty ugly stuff.

As to her insults to Gabi, based on her ethnicity, there aren't "two sides" for bigotry.

The immigration storyline was an insult to all involved, though.

• Love 16
On 10/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, boes said:

Julie has always been mean-spirited and snide to anyone she decided she didn't like.  That's nothing new.  Her attitude about Nick, disregarding the hurtful and hateful things he did to others, people Julie purported to love, especially how she ignored their pain and instead canonized Nick, was pretty ugly stuff.

I will agree here. But I also agree that Ron gave Julie lines that even Julie of yesteryear would likely not have said. She has hated people, but I don't recall her being such a blatant, obvious bigot with the racial epithets. But then Ron never writers nuance, so if he needs a black hat/white hat, he makes the roles more than obvious.

And I do get why so many hate Julie as she is now, but I'll admit it, and I may be alone but I'm brave (LOL!). Sometimes, I think Gabi was made a sympathetic character on Julie's back. In context, I get rooting for Gabi in such a case. But even with her checkered history, Julie has been with the show since day one, if not SSH, so a small part of me resents that a newer character needs to have the older one become a harridan just to make "Queen Gabi" look good. (And I wasn't even born 'til the early '70s, myself!)

So - @boes, cover your ears and eyes! - sometimes, as long as the race issue is not part of it, I don't mind Julie being a bitch to Gabi. 🙂

• Love 8
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I will agree here. But I also agree that Ron gave Julie lines that even Julie of yesteryear would likely not have said. She has hated people, but I don't recall her being such a blatant, obvious bigot with the racial epithets. But then Ron never writers nuance, so if he needs a black hat/white hat, he makes the roles more than obvious.

Julie has always been a bigot. She broke up Valerie and David because she didn't want her son dating a black woman.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Brandon did an instagram live chat last week and he was indeed told early on it was short term. He said he was told that he was told he would be there a month, maybe two but that he ended up there seven months..but yea no way did they anticipate the Stabi popularity and why the ridiculous filming schedule sucks.

They could try to bring him back as either Scotty Banning or Max Brady or Spencer Olsen . 

It aint the end Of the road .

However,Stefan can take a hike.

He was unnecessary and his existence was ill-Advised and abit of a plothole .

We have already seen the whole " long lost dimera offspring" stOryline unfold with Chad ,Renee,Lexie and to a certain extent ,Benjy Hawk .

There was nO need for Stefan. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Brandon and Camilla have that kind of chemistry generated by two buddies or patners in crime.

Just like Sami and Lucas. 

They dont have that "raw lust "kinda chemistry.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, boes said:

As to her insults to Gabi, based on her ethnicity, there aren't "two sides" for bigotry.

Tied to find the clapping hands emoji for this but couldn't. Good work, @boes :) Ron took advantage of Julie's weakness in this area and went for broke. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Because HIPAA on a soap is an "option", not the law?  😛

It's more of a guideline, really, like "best before" dates on milk cartons; it's the Five-Second Rule of healthcare. (Which I supposed makes Kayla and every other Salem University Hospital staff person the equivalent of bachelors in sweatpants and three-day beards.)

Edited by Sandman
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Thank you, Gabi, I was just about to say that Kayla said that Kate was going to die and she came out of it, and now she's saying the same thing about Stefan.

Camila is killing it, as usual. Bill was really good today, too.

I'm glad to see that Kassie is staying.

Where is the DiMera plane going if Vivian isn't on board? Didn't Stefan specifically set it up to fly her out of the country?

What was in the bag that Vivian gave Eve?

That ending, though.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Thank you, Gabi, I was just about to say that Kayla said that Kate was going to die and she came out of it, and now she's saying the same thing about Stefan.

Camila is killing it, as usual. Bill was really good today, too.

Yeah, much as I love Kayla, she really isn't doing such a great job lately.  I REALLY want someone (preferably Gabi) to rip both Abe and Lani new ones.  Abe because he was SUCH an asshole about Theo's shooting (suddenly, it's fine if his daughter is the one accused) and Lani, because she wouldn't even ENTERTAIN the idea that Gabi did not deliberately leave Julie to die.  I want Gabi to accuse Lani of shooting Stefan in cold blood - we know that's not how it happened but she really needs a taste of her own sanctimony.

1 hour ago, Sidney said:

No one pretended to even seem upset about Stefan's condition.

Yes, they were practically high fiving each other.  Too bad not one of them has an ounce of sympathy for what Gabi is going through.

Show has always wanted to create another Sami - looks like they're just treating Gabi like she is Sami - people are constantly judging her and totally disregarding her feelings.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I REALLY want someone (preferably Gabi) to rip both Abe and Lani new ones

I strongly suspect we haven't begun to see even an ounce of Gabi's wrath, and I will be loving it. 

And I hope she makes every one of Julie's loved ones get down on their knees and shamelessly beg for her husbands heart. 

What a depressing show today.

• Love 8

Lani was so selfish intruding on Gabi’s privacy in a dire moment with her husband to try to obtain forgiveness so SHE could feel better. Ever heard of “there’s a time and place”? And she kept pushing when Gabi told her to leave. She’s lucky she didn’t get her shit rocked. 

Vivian’s grief was quite fleeting.

CB/Gabi did an excellent job today. 👏🏼 Her shock and anger were intense and so real. 

Kayla, Sarah, and Haley just blah people’s medical info to anyone who will listen. 

I hope since Eve is staying they continue to chem test her with Abe. They’d be a kinda striking and interesting couple or friendship. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Yeah, much as I love Kayla, she really isn't doing such a great job lately.  I REALLY want someone (preferably Gabi) to rip both Abe and Lani new ones.  Abe because he was SUCH an asshole about Theo's shooting (suddenly, it's fine if his daughter is the one accused) and Lani, because she wouldn't even ENTERTAIN the idea that Gabi did not deliberately leave Julie to die.  I want Gabi to accuse Lani of shooting Stefan in cold blood - we know that's not how it happened but she really needs a taste of her own sanctimony.

Yes, they were practically high fiving each other.  Too bad not one of them has an ounce of sympathy for what Gabi is going through.

Show has always wanted to create another Sami - looks like they're just treating Gabi like she is Sami - people are constantly judging her and totally disregarding her feelings.

Great post, DaphneCat!  

All that I would add is that I think Bill Hayes is amazing.  He was very good today, fighting his losing battle with the family about Julie's wishes.   The way they browbeat him into taking Julie back to the hospital was pretty shameful, though.  It seems the last person who gets a say in their own health care in Salem is the patient.

Lots of good work in today's episode, AND, Julie didn't say a word!  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Sidney said:

No one pretended to even seem upset about Stefan's condition.

I actually appreciated that not sure if that was their intent but what's the point in being upset when given the track record of the presumed dead he'll return in a few months as if nothing happened...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, boes said:

Great post, DaphneCat!  

All that I would add is that I think Bill Hayes is amazing.  He was very good today, fighting his losing battle with the family about Julie's wishes.   The way they browbeat him into taking Julie back to the hospital was pretty shameful, though.  It seems the last person who gets a say in their own health care in Salem is the patient.

Lots of good work in today's episode, AND, Julie didn't say a word!  

I think it’s hard to for the viewer because, let’s be honest, the Hayes have been essentially playing themselves and real life relationship/feelings on screen for decades. So lines are blurred when you see this stuff. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And I do get why so many hate Julie as she is now, but I'll admit it, and I may be alone but I'm brave (LOL!). Sometimes, I think Gabi was made a sympathetic character on Julie's back. In context, I get rooting for Gabi in such a case. But even with her checkered history, Julia has been with the show since day one, if not SSH, so a small part of me resents that a newer character needs to have the older one become a harridan just to make "Queen Gabi" look good. (And I wasn't even born 'til the early '70s, myself!)

So - @boes, cover your ears and eyes! - sometimes, as long as the race issue is not part of it, I don't mind Julie being a bitch to Gabi. 🙂

If this is supposed to make Gabi look good it is not working because all of see is love for evil Julie and hatred for her victim, Gabi.

• Love 3

I've always thought Gabi was pretty awful.  She's absolutely, positively not responsible for Nick being obsessed with her and raping or attempting to rape her.  And, while I understand why a grandmother wouldn't want to think of her grandson (great grandson?  great great?) as bad, Julie really is ridiculous about that situation.

However, she kept quiet about Melanie's kidnapping.  She helped, or stood by, while Sami and Kate threw Nick's body in the lake or river or whatever even after they realized he was still alive.  Rapist or not, that's not cool.  She originally had sex with Stefan to start off Brady's crazy plot of getting him to fall in love with her and marry her so that she could steal the company.

These are not the actions of a saint.  Not that anyone in Salem is, but I just can't see her as some poor victim, or sympathetic.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I've always thought Gabi was pretty awful.  She's absolutely, positively not responsible for Nick being obsessed with her and raping or attempting to rape her.  And, while I understand why a grandmother wouldn't want to think of her grandson (great grandson?  great great?) as bad, Julie really is ridiculous about that situation.

However, she kept quiet about Melanie's kidnapping.  She helped, or stood by, while Sami and Kate threw Nick's body in the lake or river or whatever even after they realized he was still alive.  Rapist or not, that's not cool.  She originally had sex with Stefan to start off Brady's crazy plot of getting him to fall in love with her and marry her so that she could steal the company.

These are not the actions of a saint.  Not that anyone in Salem is, but I just can't see her as some poor victim, or sympathetic.

Julie and Nick were second cousins.

• Love 1

I kinda loved Gabi hucking her coat and purse at Kayla as she threw her out of the room.

I don't think Gabi is a saint or victim at all, she's a soap vixen with a position that's understandable.  This man she loves has been shot by a woman she already has issues with and now a gaggle of people are about to be up her ass in an effort to save another woman she doesn't like while she has no one looking out for her.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 17

I kinda loved Gabi hucking her coat and purse at Kayla as she threw her out of the room.

Kayla didn't do anything wrong in her medical treatment of both Stefan and Kate.    Gabi was completely unreasonable and her pity party is pathetic.  She's known Stefan for a hot minute. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, SnK said:

She's known Stefan for a hot minute. 

Yes.  A very hot minute. She'd need nothing more to be sad.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

I don't think Gabi is a saint or victim at all, she's a soap vixen with a position that's understandable. 

Right.  And she kind of loses a lot.  She loses boyfriends to others or, apparently, brain damage. People hold her accountable for her actions and don't really let her forget wrongs she has done.  Even her darn brother needs to investigate before he believes she really did think Julie was faking it when she left her.  In spite of their past, Stefan had grown into the person who didn't pull that ish with her.  For him, whether she left Julie or was threatening his mother, his position was basically "you do you, girl." So she's losing that too.

It feels like other characters hold her accountable more and for longer than they do other characters because they see her as a vixen.  It's easier to root for characters who other characters still resent a little bit for their past actions than it is to root for a character whose past only seems to be remembered by viewers/posters (See Abby).

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

In spite of their past, Stefan had grown into the person who didn't pull that ish with her.  For him, whether she left Julie or was threatening his mother, his position was basically "you do you, girl." So she's losing that too.

Yeah, vixens on soap often end up in opposites attract pairings where they're constantly being put on their heels.  While that can also be appealing (I, for example, loved Kevin and Lucy on GH and PC), there is something fun about a couple who has each others' backs in the way you describe.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, SnK said:

Kayla didn't do anything wrong in her medical treatment of both Stefan and Kate.    Gabi was completely unreasonable and her pity party is pathetic.  She's known Stefan for a hot minute. 

People aren't allowed to be upset when people they care about, no matter the period of time, are declared brain dead?  It's not like Gabi's yelling that it's Kayla's fault a month after the fact.  She just found this out, she's still processing, lashing out is human IMO.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 16