Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I deleted a show from my DVR thinking it wouldn't upset anything. But the show did not record. So will leave what didn't record so hopefully I will be back to normal tomorrow. Watched it on the Days blogspot, which now has ads every 2 minutes. Ugh. 

Ciara, honey, maybe before you think you can be pregnant at any time, do check out your cycle. You can only get pregnant within a period of X days per month. To increase your odds and seeming desperation to have a kid, you could probably take your temp to see if you are indeed in a place where it is a possibility. And telling everyone under the sun that Grandpa Victor hired you and blabbing that you are hoping to get preggers within minutes is not going to work well for you at any workplace. Employers can't ask that question but when you show up for your job and go on maternity leave a few months later, it does cost the company to find a short term replacement for you. But this is Salem.

MarDevil did tell Paulina the truth that she does need to tell Abe and Lani her secret. Secrets do come out in Salem. And no, Paulina does not need her sister's permission to marry anyone.

John sure is sniffing that something is rotten in Salem and rotten in Doc.

Julie should be able to see her husband or be given a real reason why she can't. Having the nurse snitch to MarDevil was not cool. Eli's police badge does give him the right to see a patient. The nurse could say it is not a good idea but he does have the ability to enforce a visit for police business.

Gabi, you tried to take Philip's company away from him. At least your outfit wasn't as short or as exposing as Ciara's. Companies do have a dress code for many positions. The mini skirt was way too mini.

Jake's old mob friend is back? Jake, you don't have the DiMera money. Too bad Abe got shot.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I feel no sympathy for Gabi. She neglected to tell Ciara that she tried to steal Titan from Philip first. Paybacks a bitch!

Exactly.  Though I bet Ciara would just hand wave that away for some weird reason.  When did she and Gabi become such good friends?

And there it is.  When Julie breezes in, barking and yipping  and overacting, all my sympathy goes right to the Devil.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, boes said:

Exactly.  Though I bet Ciara would just hand wave that away for some weird reason.  When did she and Gabi become such good friends?

And there it is.  When Julie breezes in, barking and yipping  and overacting, all my sympathy goes right to the Devil.

You are a poster of wealth and taste!

• LOL 4

I liked the reference to The Snakepit when Julie was talking about Bayview.  It’s not my favorite Olivia de Havilland film but it’s a good one.  

Paulina got off easy.  In the past, MarDevil would have emotionally blackmailed her to do her bidding at some point in the future.  She basically let Paulina chose when Abe and Lani find out.  

The editing for the Jake/Carmine gun scene was so clunky, and Abe looked like he just noticed ketchup on his jacket more than that he just got shot in the chest.  I thought maybe he was going to wipe some of the blood off and taste it.  No, that’s just Tabasco.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I liked the reference to The Snakepit when Julie was talking about Bayview.  It’s not my favorite Olivia de Havilland film but it’s a good one.   

EnchantingMonkey, thanks for pointing that out!  I have to go back and rewatch because I missed it.

Now if they have Doug biting Doc's finger,,,,,,,,all is forgiven.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Julie doesn't go to court to get Marlena removed as Doug's shrink or gets some sort of court order that overrules Marlena's orders. No doctor should have complete control over a patient, and I'm surprised Julie (loudmouth, bull-in-a-china-shop Julie) isn't raising more hell over being kept from Doug for days.

I'm not taking this possession storyline seriously so I'm just enjoying it for the campy over-the-top-ness it is. I literally laughed out loud when MarDevil called old-ass Abe Tamara's baby daddy, and I swear Drake Hogestyn looked like he was about to crack up too. I enjoy MarDevil much more than boring ol' regular Marlena, but her abrupt attitude change should be throwing up red flags for everyone. At least John is finally buying a clue.

• Love 6
On 10/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, Artsda said:

Abby should not be caring about Jack to go find info. She listed all the crimes Gwen did against her and he's forgiven it all and defended.

Yep - yep - yep!  But as I've posted before, Jack continually forgives Gwen and takes her side over Abigail because he's absolutely BANKING on Abigail's decades-long love for daddy to overcome any ideas Abby has about cutting him out of her life. 

Jack's gamble paid off since Abigail has not jettisoned Jack. In fact, she had a pleasant reunion with him on her return to Salem.

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 3

Is Saint Luke’s the same church that Ciara and Bens bomb wedding was held ?

My rambling thoughts 

Jakes mob buddy runs funny   
I loved Eli standing up for his grandparents and not taking Marlenas crap   Poor Doug  I hope he is ok. 
Julie should keep trying.  I don’t care how harping she is.  That’s her husband and is alone and scared.  
    Sorry Rafe Jake has every right to lawyer up.      

• Love 8

I loved the scene of John listening to the recording. I had assumed someone would interrupt him right before he heard Devil Doug talking, but having his voice be just static was a cool idea and John's reaction to it worked well. I thought that was well done.

And speaking of reactions, I was all set to give Julie props for acting the way anyone would expect her to in regards to Marlena's restrictions on Doug, but then I was mad that she backed down at the end and apologized for lashing out and let Marlena talk her into going to St Lukes. She was acting like all was forgiven there at the end whereas I'd hoped she'd continue to harp on Marlena.

John vs MarDevil should be interesting!

• Love 5

Too bad Julie didn't splash a few drops of Holy Water on MarDevil. Although the Devil has been around a while and would be very comfortable walking in to a church. I half expected the Holy Water to catch fire. Or Julie's rosary.

No voice and just static on the recording worked for me. Too bad Kayla took the device away from John. It is his wife's property and for all we know, he bought it for her. And since when has Kayla cared about patient confidentiality?

Carmine did his bit part well. Jake did everything right, including calling 911 and trying to stop the bleeding.

Wonder if MarDevil is paying the Bayview nurse for her help.

John did figure it out quickly. His wife acting odd, wearing sunglasses, being nasty, etc. The church reveal was good.

Paulina, at some point your secrets will come out. Busting in to the hospital ER room was not the best idea.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, boes said:

EnchantingMonkey, thanks for pointing that out!  I have to go back and rewatch because I missed it.

She screeched “that snakepit” when she was talking about Bayview.  There’s at least one script writer who likes to make film and literary references, so I’m mostly assuming that’s what was happening.  It’s not a frequently used term when referring to a mental hospital.  In case you’re wondering, my favorite de Havilland film is The Heiress.

Color me surprised that John figured it out so quickly.  They could have played him seeing clues to possession but not wanting it to be true for a little longer.  It’s not like you’d want to accept that your wife is possessed by the Devil.  Seems worse than an extra-marital affair, which many turn a blind eye to.  

John definitely isn’t a priest anymore, and there aren’t any priests currently on the scene, so I’m curious where They might be going with the Devil’s return.  

I loved it when MarDevil told Julie she wouldn’t be any help at the hospital, because, honestly...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, enchantingmonkey said:

She screeched “that snakepit” when she was talking about Bayview.  There’s at least one script writer who likes to make film and literary references, so I’m mostly assuming that’s what was happening.  It’s not a frequently used term when referring to a mental hospital.  In case you’re wondering, my favorite de Havilland film is The Heiress.

I just rewatched that last week.  That film doesn't miss a beat or have one unnecessary moment in it.

giphy.gif

Melanie Wilkes is okay but give me Catherine any day!  Who could say No to him??

Off topic, I know.....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The week in review

Good:

Steve and Kayla working together to play EJ. Loved every minute of Kayla faking drunk.

EJ and Nicole as a couple. Hopefully he does not hold the phone thing against her

Justin and Xander in jail. So much fun to see them interact

John figuring out Satan in week 1! Good job John!!

Steve and Victor having a scene together... talk about flashbacks!!

Bad:

Probably anything CIN did or said but I skipped them so I would not know

Paulina rushing into an active ER... what the craic?! Who would do that and potentially endanger/contaminate their loved one?

Jake/Gabi dumb mob thing.

Chloe/Phil/Brady eternal boring triangle. Kill it with fire.

Victor wanting to bring Kristen back. NEVER AGAIN do I want to see her unless she is going to be executed in the town square for her crimes

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Victor wanting to bring Kristen back

He only wants her back so he can hand her over to Track so Xander and Justin will be released. But, Trask has never been able to prosecute her before, so I don't expect anything different now. But, I agree - the only good Kristen is a dead Kristen (and not almost dead and can be brought back. Dead dead.)

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Retired at last said:

He only wants her back so he can hand her over to Track so Xander and Justin will be released. But, Trask has never been able to prosecute her before, so I don't expect anything different now. But, I agree - the only good Kristen is a dead Kristen (and not almost dead and can be brought back. Dead dead.)

FRIEND!!!!  😎

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I dont watch much of this storyline anymore, but tuned in today to see Abe's scenes, it was nice to see Abe & Lexie together again(and after seeing Lexie, I am not sure what Abe sees in Paulina), but I also liked seeing Julie & Paulina put differences aside & proclaim 'friendship", who knows how long that will last....  And I wondered if there was some symbolism in both Julie & Paulina wearing the same silver, circle chain necklace?

• Love 3

It irks me a bit how the show is implying that biology = family. Abe is a father figure to Lani, so after all the shit hits the fan, that should be the relationship that remains.

They never showed Lexi's face. I assume it wasn't Renée Jones? The voice sounded a tad off too.

Kayla? You might have better lucky performing CPR if you actually push on the chest. (Just use a dummy so they can simulate it. Yeesh.)

As expected, MarDevil vs. John is deliciously campy.

• Love 9

The devil stuff is so bad.    It's not scary or entertaining.  It's just stupid. They shouldn't do the surgery scenes if you can't even get the smallest things right.  Chest compressions, Eli just casually walks in. 

Hard to care about Paulina and Abe when we barely saw them fall in love 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Kayla? You might have better lucky performing CPR if you actually push on the chest. (Just use a dummy so they can simulate it. Yeesh.)

And maybe somehow lock the door to the surgery room so people like Paulina and Eli don't just come in and contaminate the whole place???

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

it was nice to see Abe & Lexie together again(and after seeing Lexie, I am not sure what Abe sees in Paulina).

At least Paulina never cheated on him with his son or lusted after his brother. I mean, I love Lexie, but she did cheat on Abe.

Edited by TenaciousWarrior
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

At least Paulina never cheated on him with his son or lusted after his brother. I mean, I love Lexie, but she did cheat on Abe.

I get why Paulina lied to Lani I think most would. If anything Tamara bothers me way more for lying all these years and not getting any blowback whatsoever even when we thought Abe was Lani's dad. Tamara just kept her from Lani for reasons and Abe was cool with it?! Yeah no. Tamara just looks awful and its like "whatever"

Lexie also hooked up with Tek who was his Abe's protege(and very hot too). I love Lexie too but she and Abe were only paired because they were only two black people in Salem. The only good thing that came out of their reunion is Theo. I liked Abe best with Faye and Lexie was best with everyone else but Abe.

• Love 6
On 10/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, rcc said:

Best part of today's episode is Mardevil and Paulina. The rest FF as fast as I could.

Boy, do we have different tastes! I watched the Mardevil and Abe stuff, but really couldn't stand the devil crap or Paulina the ham. I keep hearing canned studio laughter after all her lines.

3 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

They never showed Lexi's face. I assume it wasn't Renée Jones? The voice sounded a tad off too.

It wasnt her, no, but I was surprised they found such a close match. She even had the cheekbones! Would have liked it better had they not had her speak or just took a different tact altogether.

...and man am I sick of this "my love!!!!" stuff. Suddenly all the characters are saying it! Ugh. Cheese much?

1 hour ago, auchic said:

I love how they just sit on a pew and just chat, for like half the episode. 

Yeah um....this isn't how to do scary, Ron. This episode deflated what little tension there was in this plot.

So the devil had time for all! that! recapping! but left out why Doug was open to possession in the first place...? Guess the bozo writers didn't think of a reason. Shocked.

21 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Is a non medical person busting into a operating room really a thing? All I could think was contamination and impeding the doctors

Yup! Same. Good job Eli.

Why'd they go over the top with this shooting anyway? For a one episode stunt?

Ron would kill off and resurrect characters every episode if he could.

Also: St Lukes looks pathetic. Kinda appropriate for this slop, though.

3 hours ago, Swartz said:

The devil stuff is so bad.    It's not scary or entertaining.  It's just stupid. They shouldn't do the surgery scenes if you can't even get the smallest things right.  Chest compressions, Eli just casually walks in. 

Hard to care about Paulina and Abe when we barely saw them fall in love

jackpot-vegas.gif

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Boy, do we have different tastes! I watched the Mardevil and Abe stuff, but really couldn't stand the devil crap or Paulina the ham. I keep hearing canned studio laughter after all her lines.

It wasnt her, no, but I was surprised they found such a close match. She even had the cheekbones! Would have liked it better had they not had her speak or just took a different tact altogether.

...and man am I sick of this "my love!!!!" stuff. Suddenly all the characters are saying it! Ugh. Cheese much?

Yeah um....this isn't how to do scary, Ron. This episode deflated what little tension there was in this plot.

So the devil had time for all! that! recapping! but left out why Doug was open to possession in the first place...? Guess the bozo writers didn't think of a reason. Shocked.

Yup! Same. Good job Eli.

Why'd they go over the top with this shooting anyway? For a one episode stunt?

Ron would kill off and resurrect characters every episode if he could.

Also: St Lukes looks pathetic. Kinda appropriate for this slop, though.

jackpot-vegas.gif

Yes Paulina is a ham and not a fan of Abe with her but that episode with Mardevil was funny. Otherwise not a fan either.

• Love 2

I was hoping the revel of why Doug was possessed ( I have written the word more the past week then I have my entire life) would be reveled.    Thought it would be Doug made a deal with the devil for Ciara to get her memory back.  Ciara gets her memory back but the devil gets her baby’s soul.  Doug would not know that part though.  

watch the baby be all annoying like his parents and devil says till Hell with it.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Is a non medical person busting into a operating room really a thing? All I could think was contamination and impeding the doctors 

It wasn't even the Operating Room, it was supposedly the emergency room, lol. Kayla said something about getting Abe stable enough to transport him to the O.R. Your point still stands, though enough medical dramas have taught me that yes, people WILL burst into the ER while the doctors are trying to save their beloved.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

It wasnt her, no, but I was surprised they found such a close match. She even had the cheekbones! 

I was just assuming they had Sal Stowers do the stand-in for Lexie, and was a little squicked that Abe was mushing all over his 'daughter' lol.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, tribeca said:

I was hoping the revel of why Doug was possessed ( I have written the word more the past week then I have my entire life) would be reveled.    Thought it would be Doug made a deal with the devil for Ciara to get her memory back.  Ciara gets her memory back but the devil gets her baby’s soul.  Doug would not know that part though.  

watch the baby be all annoying like his parents and devil says till Hell with it.  

That would have been GREAT! See Show - good ideas are all around you!

*they point a red flashlight at the bowl of holy water and get a PA to blow bubbles into it using a straw*

🙄 neeeeeevermiiiiiiiiind.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, brisbydog said:

It was ridiculous. And for what? It didn’t even add anything to the drama. Eli just left and lied to the others about what he saw… and I’m quite sure Kayla didn’t need Eli to tell her to try again.

• Love 3

Seems to me that Beelzebub's best days must be behind him, if his goals these days are to possess a 70ish woman who needs to be in bed by ten and gets goosebumps watching reruns of "Murder She Wrote".  And to get to her, he had to start with a 96 year old man.  What's his ultimate goal, to take over AARP?  Or maybe he's just tired of seeing Marlena in nothing but pant suits?

Abe's brief visit to heaven looked like it took place in Wal-Mart's garden center.  At least he got to dress casual for the afterlife.  Funny how he was all about being reunited with Lexie but barely mentioned Paulina.

Talk about Hell....just imagine being stuck in an elevator with those two new besties, Julie and Paulina.  Julie went on about how she always has to be strong for everyone else...Huh?  Seems to me that every time something goes wrong, it's everyone else who has to try and shut her up.

I love Kayla, but the way she was doing CPR on Abe made it look like she could think of a 100 other things she'd rather be doing.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I was concerned that John would break something and end up in the hospital after MarDevil was throwing him around the church. He's almost 70 years old. Not 96 year old Doug, but he isn't in as good as shape and the bones are not as strong.

Felt sorry for the poor Devil at having to chat in a church with the sort of priest who exorcised him 25 years ago. Who is not a priest any more. He must be so bored. 

Does he plan on giving Marlena a fashion makeover? That turtlenecks are now out of style and are a bit chokey, like a priest's collar? That time and social media and computers have cramped his style and he needs some new tricks?

Abe's heaven too reminded me of a Lowe's or Home Depot garden centre that has a spot for folks to take selfies. Why didn't we see Lexie's face? Of course it is not his time. I do remember watching when Lexie did die. It was sad.

Good, Eli, don't tell the folks that Abe did die for a couple of minutes.

The Devil should mess with Paulina and Julie. He would be exhausted at the two of them. All that screeching and he would want to go home to his nice, warm bed.

I agree that Kayla would have had more success at reviving Abe sooner if she actually touched him.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

That was kinda mean.  I loved Lexie and thought I had looked away when they showed her face but it sounds like it was just a cheap stunt.  And by cheap I mean they didn’t have to pay Renee Jones.  The flashbacks were the best part of another pointless OMG-This-Character-Is-Dying Plot.  

I thought all of the John and MarDevil scenes were poorly written (no explanation for Doug’s possession), not well acted, and the editing for MarDevil’s jumps was sloppy.  Total disappointment for me.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, boes said:

Seems to me that Beelzebub's best days must be behind him, if his goals these days are to possess a 70ish woman who needs to be in bed by ten and gets goosebumps watching reruns of "Murder She Wrote".  And to get to her, he had to start with a 96 year old man.  What's his ultimate goal, to take over AARP?

My best guess? Resurrect Burlington Coat Factory. Mar and Doug have most of their blazers.

1 hour ago, boes said:

Or maybe he's just tired of seeing Marlena in nothing but pant suits?

AREN'T WE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

1 hour ago, boes said:

Abe's brief visit to heaven looked like it took place in Wal-Mart's garden center.

spit-laugh.gif

Oh, you devil....

1 hour ago, boes said:

Funny how he was all about being reunited with Lexie but barely mentioned Paulina.

I f'n loved it. Show wants him to marry a caricature but he's all dead and in heaven going "Paulina who? Naw. I'm good!"

If we'd heard one word of Lexie propping Paulina, DeadBo/Rafe style, my phone would have been flung from the 4th story window.

...in fairness I thought the heaven they created was pretty nice. Abe's blablabla was a little weird though.

I never saw the full scene where Lexie died. She just went while he was cuddling with her, oblivious? That's....so damn sad. How Renee kept from moving, I don't know. She sold it and it was heartbreaking.

Weird how Abe's best moments supposedly were with her. Nothing about him and John or him and Roman....or his brother?

• Love 5

The show needed one small scene to explain Doug’s possession and why Beelz returned to Salem. Being a customer at the restaurant, whatever.

10 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

My best guess? Resurrect Burlington Coat Factory. Mar and Doug have most of their blazers.

AREN'T WE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

spit-laugh.gif

Oh, you devil....

I f'n loved it. Show wants him to marry a caricature but he's all dead and in heaven going "Paulina who? Naw. I'm good!"

If we'd heard one word of Lexie propping Paulina, DeadBo/Rafe style, my phone would have been flung from the 4th story window.

...in fairness I thought the heaven they created was pretty nice. Abe's blablabla was a little weird though.

I never saw the full scene where Lexie died. She just went while he was cuddling with her, oblivious? That's....so damn sad. How Renee kept from moving, I don't know. She sold it and it was heartbreaking.

Weird how Abe's best moments supposedly were with her. Nothing about him and John or him and Roman....or his brother?

According to Worn on TV, Marlena hit Zara and bought the same blazer in every color. She has also worn Tahari and Emporio Armani (the velour jacket).

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Love 4

Did they mention how the Devil is able to enter a church & touch holy water with the result being a little steam? 
I read that “Lexi” was not available to film scenes with Abe. Hmm. That’s a catch all excuse if I ever heard one. 

• Love 3

The show had to pay Renee Jones for showing her face in flashbacks. That, in combination with her stated desire to be far away from acting when she retired, makes me believe that she really wasn't available for new scenes.

The Lexie stuff is actually the last thing I would criticize about the episode, because the episode was more of an Abe/Lexie tribute than an Abe tribute.

What about Abe's brothers? OG!Theo didn't drop by when Abe was in heaven? No one called Jonah? (I give them a free pass for not calling OG!Theo's son Jett... he was annoying.)

What about Abe's decades as cop/buddy? John was on this episode, and there are approximately a million clips of Rojohn and Abe discussing their lives at the cop shop in the 80s that could have been shown.

The baby switch storyline that had Abe on the front of every soap magazine for over a year didn't get its due. It was more than Abe yelling at Lexie one time. Theo wasn't their first child together! Isaac/Zack was! And Isaac/Zack didn't drop by to see his original loving father in heaven either? Mention that Abe can see because he got a cornea transplant from the son he had to give back to his biological parents?

Brandon deserved more than "he didn't answer a call from a character who has no emotional connection with him." Nicole should have been the one trying to reach Brandon, and having a one-sided phone conversation with him if need be. And yes, the smartass would me would have liked Abe to catch up with dead!Fay along with dead!OGTheo and dead!Zack.

Seriously, have you ever seen Abe more pleased with himself? The man liked being in the middle of a triangle for once!

FCk8gQAWYAojRrK?format=jpg&name=360x360

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

That would have been GREAT! See Show - good ideas are all around you!

*they point a red flashlight at the bowl of holy water and get a PA to blow bubbles into it using a straw*

🙄 neeeeeevermiiiiiiiiind.

LOL. I thought the same thing. "OMG, a PA is turning a cross upside down...really slowly. Run for your life, John!"

12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wondered the same thing - I always do in scenes like that. How the actors are able to remain so still when someone else is sobbing over them like that.

4 hours ago, Panopticon said:

The show had to pay Renee Jones for showing her face in flashbacks. That, in combination with her stated desire to be far away from acting when she retired, makes me believe that she really wasn't available for new scenes.

Didn't know she'd retired. It makes more sense now why they did it the way they did. I thought it was weird they would pay her for the flashbacks, but not have her in the ep. I guess they handled it as best they could.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 3