Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

You'd think this would be my kind of episode but it kinda didn't work for me. There were a lot of good moments (mainly the Brady/Eric fight), but it didn't really work as a whole imo.

John sounded SO different in that wedding flashback. He must have only sparingly used his strained whisper voice back then and now that's all he uses lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

The Brady/Eric fight scenes made the episode for me.  Comedy fucking gold!  They looked like they were having fun, too.

I wasn't watching during the high camp era of Marlena's possession and am sort of glad for that.  I forgive ridiculous writing pretty easily but those clips were embarrassing.

One thing I'll give Ron is that he's brought fun back to this soap.  It was so depressing and dark under JG and utterly joyless under Higley.

• Love 12

All of the soap press about the demon possession storyline was the reason I first started watching DAYS, so those flashbacks made me feel like I've come full circle.  It was nice of them to remind us that there was a time when the show could afford special effects, lol.  

Thaao Penghlis was great, as always.  

For as much as I like the idea of Princess GIna, I feel a bit embarrassed when they make KA trot out that wonky accent.  

John marrying Hattie was hilarious!  Thank god it wasn't that Dreadful Diana!  

10 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I wasn't watching during the high camp era of Marlena's possession and am sort of glad for that.  I forgive ridiculous writing pretty easily but those clips were embarrassing.

The writing was like a train wreck I couldn't look away from but IIRC, the actors were professionals about it and did their best to sell the story.  It wasn't like anything like we get these days with some of the actors sleepwalking through their scenes (Chandler Massey, Billy Flynn, Tyler Christopher) because the writing is so stupid.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
bad typist
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

You'd think this would be my kind of episode but it kinda didn't work for me. There were a lot of good moments (mainly the Brady/Eric fight), but it didn't really work as a whole imo.

John sounded SO different in that wedding flashback. He must have only sparingly used his strained whisper voice back then and now that's all he uses lol.

At the beginning, I thought what a waste of my time.   But I LOVED it.  That Brady/Eric fight was THE BEST.   Imagine they had a blast filming it.   You are so right about John's voice.   I wasn't watching back then, but watching the clip wished he still had that voice instead of that whispering thing he has going now.  

For some reason, this was posted to the Got Questions thread.  Crazy fingers, I guess.

• Love 7

Marlena got to go to a white, pristine room complete with Future TV. How odd to find Tony, Andre, and Princess Gina. Those macarons really had a kick!

Did like the hourglass. Those WERE the days of your life. Princess Gina needed her tiara.

I remember some of the old footage, including Marlena's Queen of the Night possession. The good old days, when soaps had a few dollars for special effects.

Claire, why would you want to steal Ciara's baby? And Ciara went running back to Tripp? Claire, you could do better for yourself. Your mom was funny in telling you that jail would be a learning experience for you.

Eric and Brady duking it out? John marrying Hattie?

• Love 3

Today was okay.  I am happy they went with more humor over melodrama, although I did not appreciate the possession flashbacks.  I quit DOOL for a long time during that time. 

But I was relieved when the silly fight spoiler pictures from the magazines were actually meant to look silly.  So instead of the awkward I was expecting, it was funny.  I also liked crazy Claire in the handcuffs.

Finally, was it wrong of me to find Will and wet Leo hot?  Cuz I did. 

Y'all can judge me now but, if you've watched soaps long enough, you've probably liked something equally as weird.

own it country music GIF

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Maybe I missed something, but why this type of episode today?  Is there a reason they didn't schedule it for April Fools Day ?  (I think the show has done half-baked episodes like this on *holidays*, such as VD, Halloween, or April Fools.) But March 18 ?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Maybe I missed something, but why this type of episode today?  Is there a reason they didn't schedule it for April Fools Day ?  (I think the show has done half-baked episodes like this on *holidays*, such as VD, Halloween, or April Fools.) But March 18 ?

I thought they owed Thaao a few episodes and this way they were able to get him for double duty as Andre and Tony.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Finally, was it wrong of me to find Will and wet Leo hot?  Cuz I did. 

Y'all can judge me now but, if you've watched soaps long enough, you've probably liked something equally as weird.

No judgment from me Irlandesa - I definitely found it hot too! I wasn’t expecting it, but loved it and thought they had great chemistry.

What I enjoyed most about the episode was how much of a blast everyone seemed to be having. I too am glad that Ron has brought the fun back into Days. 

• Love 6

Yess Claire give Belle the attitude she rightfully deserves. 

I find it hard to believe Brady and Eric would be beating the shit out of each other over Sarah who is a slightly whiny personification of comfy chair and a poodle. But they were drunk. Interesting in fantasy world, even hypothetically, a Horton princess skates while the dudes are fighting over her are judged. Just like in the “reality”. She’s the one in a ship so should probably be the most accountable. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Anyhow the “It’s a Salemderful Life” fell a bit flat. Because the hypotheticals were off. Also I feel this being praised since it is fun and light. I like that too, but Ronald historically falls into a trap of being campy using these tropes. He’s done this like 2 or 3 x in the past twelve months. I expect more dream or near death or a musical episodes soon. 

Princess Gina has the tone and poses of all the bougie youtubers doing the “I went the the worst ______ in my city” videos. That’s not a compliment, you know like if a kid was pretending to be rich at a toy tea party “you expect me to lift my cup myselffff oh how common. I only drink beverages that are 300 watts” (vogues hands on side of their face). 

That demonic possession storyline was spoofed on Soap, a show I watched in reruns/dvds and quite liked. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Today was okay.  I am happy they went with more humor over melodrama, although I did not appreciate the possession flashbacks.  I quit DOOL for a long time during that time. 

My thoughts exactly.   I loved the flashbacks with John and Marlena.  But since my LONG hiatus from the show started during the during the possession storyline, I didn't appreciate those flashbacks either. But it did make sense to show them, seeing Marlena was at the gates of heaven and hell.  

Also wasn't impressed with seeing Princess Gina. I wasn't watching during her storyline, plus my dislike for Hope seems to have crossed over to Gina. Either that, or I just don't like KA's protrayal of PG.  Either way, I was bored with her scenes. 

Seeing Thao was ok. 

And nice to see Belle. Wish they'd bring her back for good, or at least more often.

The scenes with Brady/Eric, Claire, Will/Leo, and John/Hattie were all funny.  So, an okay episode, I guess.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

At first I thought this was going to be dramatic and maudlin (it took a minute before I realized the possession storyline was not being taken seriously) so I was VERY pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be so camp and fun. 

I got bored, and gave up as soon as the Marlena Debbil Woman flashbacks started. Don't care about Tony or Andre or Gina. (Am I the only one who thinks that Thaao Penghlis has been self-indulgent and terrible -- I mean, truly awful -- for years?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I expect more dream or near death or a musical episodes soon.  

Oh man, I wish they'd do a musical ep.

That demonic possession storyline was spoofed on Soap, a show I watched in reruns/dvds and quite liked.

I loved Soap. 

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

(Am I the only one who thinks that Thaao Penghlis has been self-indulgent and terrible -- I mean, truly awful -- for years?)

I totally agree. Also, I saw an interview with him and I flat out don't like him lol.

• Love 4

Yes, a bit of a snooze for me, too. But I'm not a huge Marlena fan (she's fine and a grand dame of the soap, but I'm just not interested in her love life with John). 

The Eric/Brady silliness was ridiculous. I do like when the show does something campy and fun, but eh, this fell flat for me. Especially with stupid Gina, ugh. 

Hoping for better today. Some Jack and Jenn or even Gabi and Stefan at this point would make things better for me. 

• Love 3

I didn't mind it for a change, since the main show has been so horrible. But, I was not a fan of Princess Gina and that atrocious attempt at an accent. There were some funny parts and it was nice to see the actors get a break from repeating their same lines every day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lastwaltz said:

Yes, a bit of a snooze for me, too. But I'm not a huge Marlena fan (she's fine and a grand dame of the soap, but I'm just not interested in her love life with John). 

The Eric/Brady silliness was ridiculous. I do like when the show does something campy and fun, but eh, this fell flat for me. Especially with stupid Gina, ugh. 

Hoping for better today. Some Jack and Jenn or even Gabi and Stefan at this point would make things better for me. 

If you didn't watched Marlena in the 70's and 80's, those were her glory days. She was amazing. Once James E. Reilly got his hands on her, he turned her into a caricature. There's been some decent stuff here and there, but nothing that really stands out.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I didn't mind it for a change, since the main show has been so horrible. But, I was not a fan of Princess Gina and that atrocious attempt at an accent. There were some funny parts and it was nice to see the actors get a break from repeating their same lines every day.

The Princess Gina stuff is just bad.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Petunia13 said:

I think it’s more that he puts Sarah on this pedestal where it wouldn’t even enter his mind she wants Eric (even though it’s obvious to everyone). Rex is always calling her perfect and the best person. He also said before he cheated she was nit picking and critical so she’s always had this dynamic of being on a moral high ground. Typical Horton behavior 😂 

Doesn't it have more to do with Rex's inferiority complex? It sounds to me that he felt like he couldn't measure to his girlfriend because she was the life of party.  This happens in irl as well. If someone's spouse is more bright than him/herself, the said person'd feel insecure and unconfident 

9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I find it hard to believe Brady and Eric would be beating the shit out of each other over Sarah who is a slightly whiny personification of comfy chair and a poodle. But they were drunk. Interesting in fantasy world, even hypothetically, a Horton princess skates while the dudes are fighting over her are judged. Just like in the “reality”. She’s the one in a ship so should probably be the most accountable. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Hmm shouldn't Rex be most accountable? He ignored his own issues and used cheating as a way to escape from reality.  He has been constantly pressuring his own brother to help him get his ex back and pushing her to accept his marriage proposal.  Apparently, This guy hardly learns anything from his mistakes and wants his loved one to stick with him. I am sorry but it's hard to feel sorry for someone like this. 

Edited by Guest
31 minutes ago, sweetautumn said:

Doesn't it have more to do with Rex's inferiority complex? It sounds to me that he felt like he couldn't measure to his girlfriend because she was the life of party.  This happens in irl as well. If someone's spouse is more bright than him/herself, the said person'd feel insecure and unconfident 

Hmm shouldn't Rex be most accountable? He ignored his own issues and used cheating as a way to escape from reality.  He has been constantly pressuring his own brother to help him get his ex back and pushing her to accept his marriage proposal.  Apparently, This guy hardly learns anything from his mistakes and wants his loved one to stick with him. I am sorry but it's hard to feel sorry for someone like this. 

I do agree that Rex needs to work on his own issues before he can even begin to think about marriage but that would make too much sense.  And it was amusing watching Brady spin some revisionist history about his relationship with Nicole--it was all worth it for Rex's shade though:  "Sarah isn't Nicole."  You sure about that Rex?  :)

I freely admit that I am not a fan of the Cin relationship and I don't see the allegedly hot chemistry between them--Ciara seems very young in comparison to him and her ridiculous hair style just heightened that but I guess I just have to buckle up because this ship is going full steam ahead.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Sidney said:

If you didn't watched Marlena in the 70's and 80's, those were her glory days. She was amazing. Once James E. Reilly got his hands on her, he turned her into a caricature. There's been some decent stuff here and there, but nothing that really stands out.

I started watching in the late 80s, drawn into the soap by Patch and Kayla, Jack and Jennifer, and Bo and Carly -- so I missed out : ) I do appreciate what she means to the soap but I missed her best days for sure. My timing is probably also why I'm not a huge Hope fan and think Bo/Carly was a better match! 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

I started watching in the late 80s, drawn into the soap by Patch and Kayla, Jack and Jennifer, and Bo and Carly -- so I missed out : ) I do appreciate what she means to the soap but I missed her best days for sure. My timing is probably also why I'm not a huge Hope fan and think Bo/Carly was a better match! 

Same I started watching in early 90s and I loved bo and Carly and John and Isabella more than there them with hope and marlena.

• Love 3

So today we have sanctimonious Eric VOWING TO GOD that if he will only save Marlena he will stay away from his brothers' women.  Blergh!  Shouldn't he kinda, sorta, be doing that anyway?  There are places you just don't go.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

So today we have sanctimonious Eric VOWING TO GOD that if he will only save Marlena he will stay away from his brothers' women.  Blergh!  Shouldn't he kinda, sorta, be doing that anyway?  There are places you just don't go.

UGH is right.  I know we're supposed to see Eric as some sort of hawt, flawed saint but all I mostly see anymore is one giant hypocritical pain in the ass who's just in LUV with his own saintliness.  Brady's no better, he's a giant asswipe who's so stupid he thinks he isn't one.

The only one in this whole mess I actually think would be decent to be around is Rex - little dumb, yeah, emotionally immature, HELL yes, the morals of an alley cat, oh yeah......but he's nice to people and doesn't always think only of himself, and he sure as hell isn't sanctimonious.

Sarah can do worse and undoubtedly will.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12

"Thank you, Miss Streep."

"Dear God, please save my mom and I'll stop being a horndog."

Why would Eric believe that Brady wouldn't tell Rex about the kiss?

Is it really the appropriate time for Sarah and Eric to be having this blathering conversation when he really needs to be rushing to Marlena's side?

Doesn't the hospital have cameras that can check to see who is going and coming in Marlena's room?

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Doesn't the hospital have cameras that can check to see who is going and coming in Marlena's room?

But, but then they wouldn't have to fingerprint everyone who ever had access to an IV (including IV delivery people and janitors!)  Because bags of saline are HIGHLY controlled and no random person would ever get access to them.  Never once thinking that Kristen is not stupid enough to leave fingerprints, our intrepid police force will not stop.  In ALL that mishmash they will somehow find ONE print that doesn't match anyone and be off on the chase.  (This is a way to give Eli and Lani something to do since there are no other crimes in Salem that they need to be working on.)   This is a VERY well written plot turn!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So, judging by Ciara's hair, she apparently joined the Mouseketeers in the weeks since I last watched? Alrighty then.

Soap gods help me, I actually enjoyed Friday's scenes between John/Leo and Ben/Stefan. Nice to see this show can still have genuinely thoughtful interactions between characters once in a while.

And then we have Marlena's Adventures in the Afterlife, wherein she finds herself in a mysterious place: 

iu.png.c0af9c60134d8819f103279225ec97b6.png

and gets advice from Tony, Andre, and (for some reason) Princess Gina:

iu.jpeg.66ea5885e8861e579874f95c51f79a7c.jpeg

and after a very random assortment of hilarious flashbacks (only some of which were likely meant to be hilarious), she comes to a decision about staying dead:

DsEkNa3X4AA0f5V.thumb.jpg.ceac8d7ba7cf06348d7d7460c09f8624.jpg

Also, now I feel like rewatching The Good Place again. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it (but make sure you start at the very beginning).

Although, I gotta say, I would totally watch 36 minutes of Eric and Brady fighting badly five days a week. We could call it Legend of the Drunken Idiots Masters. Too bad they don't let Eric Martsolf be funny more often, he's got a knack for it.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 7

So Princess Gina was a real person?  I always thought it was an alter of Hope and never cared enough about the subject to look up whether that assumption was correct.

Eric is in desperate need of a personality reset via head injury.  It's the soap way, after all.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Too bad they don't let Eric Martsolf be funny more often, he's got a knack for it.

This! That's why I enjoy him so much right now.

4 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

So Princess Gina was a real person?  I always thought it was an alter of Hope and never cared enough about the subject to look up whether that assumption was correct.

Same. 

Eric is in desperate need of a personality reset via head injury.  It's the soap way, after all.

I love this idea. I would like to enjoy Eric because GV is just so hot, but Eric just sucks.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

When Hope came back from the dead as Gina, she had no memories of being Hope and people of Salem were convinced that she was not Hope Brady. Except for Alice. She always believed that Hope came back to her. While she was plain Gina, she flashbacked  to being Princess Gina  from the implanted memories of the real Princess Gina that Stefano gave her. Also during his honeymoon with Marlena, John's temporarily remember his life when he was with Princess Gina. 

There was a submarine and some sex.

Afterwards John didn't remember anything.

Eventually the real Princess Gina came back, using that stupid accent.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4

Eli said today when he took the IV bags that they are going to have to take every single hospital employee's fingerprints to see whose match. Well, neither Diana, nor Kristen, if that's who they think they are looking for, are hospital employees, so that make no sense. And, I also think they probably have fingerprints of most employees already. Stupid story, but it's almost over.

• Love 3

Geez, Eric, maybe give up something like punching Brady or chocolate or something. You know perfectly well that you will not stay away from Sarah Horton. Your God would know all about promises made in haste. They never stick. Set some boundaries with Rex and act like a brother and not a man who is after any brother's female companion. Some women may like you for a while and then they will see your sanctimony and take off.

Marlena woke up far too fast. Granted, they couldn't have her flatline for more than a couple of minutes.

Brady, do you think that Leo will fall for your trap?

Ciara, if you were just a little bit older and had a bit more life experience, maybe you and Ben might work.

Surely Salem Hospital would have a security camera on each floor and especially by the nurse's station. And I would think that all meds and hospital supplies and IV bags would need to be signed out, scanned, etc. Billing too in that the patient would be charged for it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Eli said today when he took the IV bags that they are going to have to take every single hospital employee's fingerprints to see whose match. Well, neither Diana, nor Kristen, if that's who they think they are looking for, are hospital employees, so that make no sense. And, I also think they probably have fingerprints of most employees already. Stupid story, but it's almost over.

They need the hospital employees' fingerprints to eliminate them from consideration.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

When Hope came back from the dead as Gina, she had no memories of being Hope and people of Salem were convinced that she was not Hope Brady. Except for Alice. She always believed that Hope came back to her. While she was plain Gina, she flashbacked  to being Princess Gina  from the implanted memories of the real Princess Gina that Stefano gave her. Also during his honeymoon with Marlena, John's temporarily remember his life when he was Princess Gina. 

There was a submarine and some sex.

Afterwards John didn't remember anything.

Eventually the real Princess Gina came back, using that stupid accent.

nilyank, I know it was just an error in typing, but I can't help laughing at the image of John remembering his life as Princess Gina!

Oh, IF ONLY!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, boes said:

nilyank, I know it was just an error in typing, but I can't help laughing at the image of John remembering his life as Princess Gina!

Oh, IF ONLY!!

I wouldn't be surprised with all the rewrites of John's backstory: spy, hitman, priest, baseball player, art thief, Dimera pawn, Roman Brady, Forest Alamain, product of Stefano being cheated on by wife, love child of Dimera/Brady. The list goes on and on

Edited by nilyank
  • LOL 6

I'm sorry but Ciara should a least be shown to have a little conflict about being so hung up on a serial killer. Trying to compare the horrible things that Ben has done to her own childhood just shows how naive she really is.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sidney said:

I'm sorry but Ciara should a least be shown to have a little conflict about being so hung up on a serial killer. Trying to compare the horrible things that Ben has done to her own childhood just shows how naive she really is.

I think it's hysterical that Days, Ken Corday and RC are trying to make a serial killer a romantic hero. And, when you hear Ciara attempting to justify the murders is crazy.....even for daytime. It makes the woman such as Hope & Ciara look stupid. At least, Hope was against it for a long time but the show wants them to be the next Bo & Hope. When I see Ben I see a guy who killed 3 people. I know it's not real but I don't see romantic hero when he's on screen. Maybe, it's just me.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, nilyank said:

I wouldn't be surprised with all the rewrites of John's backstory: spy, hitman, priest, baseball player, art thief, Dimera pawn, Roman Brady, Forest Alamain, product of Stefano being cheated on by wife, love child of Dimera/Brady. The list goes on and on

All those unnecessary rewrites weakened him as a character in my opinion.. I find John more palatable in father mode than as romantic lead in his sappy romance with Marlena. I like Jarlena, but, at times they grate. An unpopular opinion, but, it is what it is..

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

All those unnecessary rewrites weakened him as a character in my opinion.. I find John more palatable in father mode than as romantic lead in his sappy romance with Marlena. I like Jarlena, but, at times they grate. An unpopular opinion, but, it is what it is..

With you, @Apprentice79 -- it's nice that they have such a loving relationship, but enough already, I get it. They're Jarlena. Now move along, show. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I think it's hysterical that Days, Ken Corday and RC are trying to make a serial killer a romantic hero. And, when you hear Ciara attempting to justify the murders is crazy.....even for daytime. It makes the woman such as Hope & Ciara look stupid. At least, Hope was against it for a long time but the show wants them to be the next Bo & Hope. When I see Ben I see a guy who killed 3 people. I know it's not real but I don't see romantic hero when he's on screen. Maybe, it's just me.

It's not just you.  I like RSW, but I just can't with Ben.  They're not the next Bo and Hope - hell, they're not even the next Ren and Stimpy.

Show where I live was mostly pre-empted yesterday, but I did get to see Eric bargaining with God, either his penis or Marlena's life.

Talk about ego.  Eric, God probably finds you as tedious and self-centered as she finds Brady.

Nobody cares.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

I have been taking a break from this show.  Tried a couple weeks ago turned on nbc and Ciara was telling Ben you saved me figured I haven’t missed much and shut off.  

Love reading here and the description of campy Marlena in purgatory (?) got me to tune in.  That was a fun episode.  Although it seemed like Marlena was fine leaving her grandkids, children in their hum troubles but once John was with another woman she was ready to fight! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

KdP and Missy Reeves looked great today.

Ben and Ciara really do have great chemistry but I can't get into this couple.  If Ben wasn't a serial strangler then it'd probably be different.  As someone else suggested, I think the only way I'd be able to accept Ben as a romantic hero is through the evil twin trope.  It's ridiculous of course, but no less so than many of the other things that happen on this soap.

I have a question about the el noodle story but am taking it to the Spoilers thread.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

But his comments about killing himself to get away from her were really hurtful.

That was fucked up, but I laughed lol.

MR looked the best she has in awhile today. 

Pretty good ep. I don't have much to say, but I mostly enjoyed it.

And I'm pretty pumped at Days getting the most Emmy noms. Still can't believe CB wasn't even pre-nommed though. And I don't understand how Theo is nommed since it feels like he's been gone for like 2 years.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Sidney said:

Especially when some of his victims were her family members or those who dated family members.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10