Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Balloonman

Trini
  • Start Topic

Detectives Gordon and Bullock track down a vigilante who is killing corrupt Gotham citizens by attaching them to weather balloons. Meanwhile, Oswald Cobblepot returns to Gotham and gets a new job close to an influential figure in the underworld in the all-new "The Balloonman" episode of GOTHAM

I wasn't impressed by the Balloon Man story until the end when he confronted Gordon and Bruce watched the story on tv. We can see Bruce realizing that Gotham needs a vigilante to get justice, but one who does not kill or he will be a criminal too. The show is doing a great job laying the groundwork for Bruce to become Batman.

Ben McKenzie is doing a fine job in the role of James Gordon. He comes off a man alone falling into despair. I really felt for him when he told Barbara that the city was sicker than he realized.

So Barbara and Morales were lovers once upon a time. I liked how Barbara stood by and believed in James. Her faith will be rewarded when she realizes that Oswald is the man that James is accused of murdering.

Fish made me laugh when she was telling Morales and her partner about James killing Osward. Fish and Falcone are so great in their scenes together.

It is good to see David Zayas as Maroni, the new villain. I have always liked him.

Oh, I had a terrible chuckle when that woman was flattened by the falling body.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I did not plan to watch this show, but then I saw that it had Ben Mackenzie so I've caught little snippets of the past two episodes, and I've watched this episode now. There is a lot to like about the show. Several great character actors, of course.

I think what I like best is the tone of the show and the look of it. It's got an old school look while also managing to be modern. It's gorgeous to watch!

I am really liking the partner and the penguin. This story this week was just ok but all the character moments make up for it. I lived baby catwoman slipping her handcuffs and Alfred and batman fencing.

• Love 5

So Batman's first inspiration to be a vigilante was...the Balloonman?  Admittedly I was a bit confused by all that and why he was upset about the shut down of the foster home. 

My bigger question, does Jim know that Barbara is bisexual?

Oh, I had a terrible chuckle when that woman was flattened by the falling body.

I was so glad her Beardie was okay. Killing bad guys is one thing, but flattening dogs is just evil.

• Love 4

As soon as I recognized the guy at the police station ("Hey, it's ...that guy"), I knew who Ballonman was. No other reason to cast a name brand type actor in that role unless there was more to it.

I am glad there was no "final reveal", even though I was certain it was going to be Jim that had a date with that fourth balloon.

I was also hoping for a bit more from the last Barbara/Jim scene. Yes, I was not expecting who was at the door, but I am not pleased with Barbara hedging her bets about Jim. At least it feels like she is. Barbara has enough indignation to defend Jim to Renee, even though she cannot directly counter Renee's attacks on Jim. So...let's just accept Jim's (good) speech about How Things Are and How He Wants To Change Them for the seeming proof that he's not corrupt? Really? I get her not telling Jim about Renee, essentially, stalking. Jim going against Major Crimes would be difficult. Still, since Jim has been high-profile and had Renee barge over with accusations and no proof twice, it's time that Jim and Barbara have a Serious Talk about being a team.

(Minor nitpick due to outside influences: Please, Show, do not ever have Barbara utter the words that 'she knows' Jim. Laurel has done that enough in 2 seasons and she doesn't, demonstrably. Avoid that path with Barbara, please!)

So Batman's first inspiration to be a vigilante was...the Balloonman?

I think it was closer to the reporter, with her melodramatic question of "Who will stand up for the citizens of Gotham?" ( Or whatever the exact wording was.)  Young Bruce all but had a thought bubble that said "I will."  Alfred's heartbreak over Bruce is getting me in the feels.  The cane fencing was fun and brought some needed lightness to this episode. Yet, with the main case, we get where the vigilante idea got it's start and it's context.

I was hoping that Oswald would spend another episode or two on the farm/in the trailer. With a smaller episode order, I can get over that, as Oswald's second climb through Gotham's criminal ranks is obviously where we need to be. (Death before eating count: 2)

I love how they dress Jada in this show! The strapless with the abalone/ faux abalone collar was great. She is going to flip when she finally sees Oswald.

I liked how Jim got literally dirty on a case this week. Loved Harvey losing his pen to Selina. Loved how Selina gave Gordon his handcuffs back as opposed to just leaving them on the stairs. Hopefully, Jim will be smarter the next time he wants to talk/deal with Selina. She is a smart, slippery one.  She has no reason to straight-up lie to Gordon, so I hope he keeps that in mind. I get the Trust But Verify, but he is dealing with a pretty savvy teen.

If we are to think that Crispus and Renee are actually Good Guys, maybe don't have them run after Gordon with rumors that they can't substantiate except through folks who have all sorts of reasons to lie. Gordon's low hanging "suitable for framing" material; like these veteran cops can't see this?  Allen and Montoya also haven't given Gordon any reason to expect a fair and safe hearing from these two. Someone, like Essen (if she is not totally compromised), should explain this to them with tiny words. They aren't slow, just bull-headed.

David Zayas made me happy, so yay to the organized crime story moving to the next player.

I am so excited for next week! With the person at the door, Jim will have his plate full!

edited : block o' text is hard on my eyes.

Edited by Actionmage

I agree that the central mystery was not all that interesting, but there were moments to appreciate.

It was nice to see Bruce and Alfred have fun, like they are starting to settle into the life they're left with.  Bruce is still pushing boundaries by acquiring the police file (how, btw?  How much access to Wayne money and resources does he have?) but at least he doesn't seem to be injurying himself.  And he's talking a little more freely about his thoughts.

The best part of the episode was Penguin's smirking appearance at the door.  He was wearing a suit with pointy lapels, even.  It is an interesting proposal to have Gordon and Oswald collaborate.  Gordon might think Oswald (or Paolo) is the least of the evils running around the city, but Oswald will have to hide the fact that he's willing to kill a man for his shoes.  That's not something Gordon would appreciate, and the idea of cooperation with Oswald in anyway must smack a little of the institutionalized corruption around him.  But imagine if the reason Oswald rises is a deal he strikes with Gordon.

Major Crimes is coming off as easily led, and that is my biggest problem with the characters.  Harvey Bullock isn't much, but he can investigate when sufficiently motivated.  On the other hand, these two detectives seem to pinball between gossipers in the underworld and Gordon, without much initiative to go elsewhere.

Not relevant, but the title "The Balloonman" made me think of "M", which made me think that Robin Lord Taylor has a bit of Peter Lorre vibe as Penguin.

• Love 2

Maybe, but I thought Bruce had already decided to become a vigilante in the last episode,when he said it was good that James had not killed his parents' killer because he wanted to kill him. I think what we saw was that the Balloonman's murders made Bruce decide on his "no kill" policy which is one of Batman's famous characteristics.

Edited by SimoneS

That second victim, the police lieutenant who's name I can't remember, how stupid can you get? The entire time my thoughts were all but screaming "get your gun and shoot the balloon you idiot!" especially when he was actually floating away and I could clearly see the pistol hanging in it's holster.

Then at the end, where Gordon and Bullock are closing in on the cart with the last balloon, a 5 year old could look at that and think "trap!" much less a couple of detectives.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

No wonder Gotham is in the gutter, the two supposed good cops are wondering around town following leads from criminals, then one of them is accusing Jim of things with the word of said criminals because they don't like that their ex girlfriend is dating him. I think Gordon is the only one doing any actual police work in that town.  Harvey when motivated is good investigator but he's going with the if you can't beat them, join them mentality, because he thinks it won't matter with the Mob running the city.

I did love that Selina gave him the slip. He's one of the good ones and she knows that but she still doesn't want to be in a home so she'll use whatever leverage she has. I can see her becoming Catwoman from the comics in the future. 

It's also nice that Barbara has faith in the man she loves and automatically think the worst of him. If she's been with him she knows what a boy scout he is so she'd never believe he'd murder someone from the mob. I don't think they have much chemistry but I like that they are showing an actual relationship that's not subject to tv cliches...yet. 

Baby Batman deciding he's not going to be a killer when he becomes a vigilante was a nice touch. 

Edited by Sakura12

Maybe, but I thought Bruce had already decided to become a vigilante in the last episode,

You quoted something someone else posted. My reply to that was just under the quote. I answered, in part, that I did not think The Balloonman was Bruce's inspiration.

So Balloonman was Jim Jeffries mess of a best friend in Legit?  Balloonman was a very offbeat first vigilante for Gotham.

I enjoyed this once again and like the performances a lot.  Continue to like the look of Gotham City as well.

It's a miracle that Alfred doesn't go off and chuck Bruce out the window.  Living with that kid would make anyone go crazy.

Great stuff on the Penguin stuff once again.  Jada Pinkett continues to chew scenery like mad.  Thought the reporter asking who would protect Gotham now was over-the-top and something that just wouldn't happen in a real news broadcast.

Edited by benteen

I thought it was good; I enjoy seeing a Gotham where you can sometimes see the sky.  However, I was mouth open in disbelief that no one realized eventually the balloons would fall back to earth - and a little lol, too.  I thought as far as vigilante justice went, the guy was a good vigilante and quite ingenious.

Cannot believe Oswald's knocking at the door!

The blonde girlfriend is all kinds of messed up, but mostly she bugs because her skin between her eyebrows doesn't move.  Isn't she too young for botox? 

She really screams out for my own self interest to me, with a side dish of amorality.

I'll be bluntly honest, Renee is one of my favorite female comic book characters ever and I am primarily watching for her. She is such a likeable and relatable badass in the comics so I can't help feeling utterly disappointed in her portrayal thus far, as it seems like they are throwing her underneath the bus in order to prop up their straight white male protagonist.

In the comics she is a good detective with great deductive skills and her relationship with Gordon is one based on mutual respect, but here? She comes across more like a jealous ex that can't let go and is letting it color her work and actions. Meanwhile Gordon is being set up as the sole renegade good cop, that is being worked against by many sides, including Gotham Crimes 'cause of Renee being made out to be more of an antagonist to him. Conveniently also setting Barbara up to defend Gordon and tell Renee/the audience just how much of a good guy he is.

I know we are only 3 episodes in but it doesn't look positive so far and this is Fox, which does not have a good history when it comes to female LGBT* characters (please don't say Glee 'cause no. Just no). I do however like the settings with the very corrupt justice system and the bits with young Catwoman and Bullock. But my growing dislike for what they are doing with Renee is likely to put me of this show completely.

Edited by Riful
  • Love 6

I liked the balloon man episode, thought it was great! Lighter in how the criminal was committing his vigilante crimes. 

Penguin smirking at the door at the end was a great way to end it.

For the most part, I enjoyed this episode, but had one issue: did Gordon and Bullock really not know that the bodies would eventually not come back down?  I mean, I'm no scientist, but even I knew the balloons would eventually explode or deflate, and bodies would drop.  Did they just think they were going to go all the way up into space and some shit?  Come on, show.  It's only been three episodes, but it's obvious that both Gordon and Bullock are much smarter then that.

Besides that, the whole Balloonman story was silly, but I thought it was fun.  If nothing else, I felt like the show at least was in on the joke, and treated it lighter then normal.  I got a kick out of Gordon and Bullock's reactions to all the craziness.  I'm still finding them to be an entertaining duo, and both Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue continue to shine.

So, to no surprise, it looks like Montoya and Barbara were not only lovers, but apparently druggies too?  And, it sounds like Montoya did something to Barbara during that time, that she can't forgive.  And, it looks like she does really love Gordon, so I'm guessing she's bisexual, which would be interesting if they stick with it.  But, I still wonder what there plan is for this particular character.

Oh, Oswald.  I should really, really hate you.  But, out of all the villains, I am rooting for your crazy ass.  Loved his final appearance at Gordon's door.  Robin Lord Taylor is just killing it in this role.  A real great find, IMO.

Selina is already back out on the street, although I hope she shows back up soon.  I got a kick out of her and Gordon's banter.

Actually really liked the Bruce/Alfred stuff.  I'm still finding Alfred and Sean Pertwee's portrayal of him, to be one of the surprises of this show, so far.  I just like seeing an Alfred who doesn't always have the answers and can even lose his cool with Young Bruce, but is still a decent man, who is really trying.  And I thought Bruce's final line was probably David Mazouz's best work so far.

Fish is making her moves, and Jada Pinkett Smith is continuing to dine on the scenery.  I think Falcone probably knows what she's up to.  Enjoyed seeing David Zayas as Sal Maroni.  No Nigma; I'm sure he was off somewhere, being a creeper.

I think this might have been my favorite.  Still a few issues, but I enjoyed the campier tone, and I still thinking the acting and setting are saving the sometimes wooden dialogue.

• Love 4

Yeah, I think even elementary school kids would know that the bodies would eventually come down.  Did they really think they were just going to float out into space or something?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Good episode. Sad to see somebody from the Buy More go rogue, albeit in a hilarious way. I mean, I bet the fourth victim was going to be Wile E. Coyote, because that was an Acme way to go. Holy crap, how hysterical was the method of murder? Seeing a pervert priest flailing away made me laugh, even though it probably shouldn't have.

Nice to see that Montoya can eat as much scenery as Fish. I'll admit it . . . Sapphic overtones work for me. I guess I'm a sucker for that. I really hope we don't get flashbacks to Barbara and Renee's relationship, because that would be pandering. I'd watch, but I'd probably hate myself afterward.

And Oswald/Penguin is still killing it . . . and others, too. Like I said last week, he's so earnest. I don't know if that's the word for his attitude, but he's just so "can do" and willing to be corrupt as the city he obviously loves. He's oddly cute that way.

No Nigma this week? There wasn't a need for the (corrupt) captain to throw something at him in frustration? There's always next week.

Good Bruce/Alfred scenes. I hate to invoke Jon Pertwee again, but it's nice his son Sean can swordfight. Go watch "The Sea Devils" story from Doctor Who . . . . there's a great sword battle between the Doctor and the Master.

• Love 1

I was ridiculously amused by the method of killing. That was awesome.

I didn't think they didn't know the balloons wouldn't come down. I just thought they didn't really think about it and also expected the balloons to fly away much farther.

I am a little disturbed that I like a character so much who kills for shoes and a tuna sandwich.

Major Crimes suck. They just wander about, uttering baseless threats and accusations and then leave, sneering and a little worse for wear. Do they actually work during the day?

I adore little Batman and Alfred.

I finally realized today that Donal Logue played an annoying FBI agent in the first seasons of the X-files. Something in how he waved his hands.

• Love 1

I wasn't exactly too thrilled about the weather balloon storyline- it seemed rather implausible as a murder weapon. At least it seemed like Harvey Bullock was having some fun with the investigation didn't take it too seriously.

Oswald Cobblepot...I believe he's quickly becoming my favourite character. He's just so neurotic and earnest, the kind of "deliciously crazy" that makes for a wonderful criminal. The only problem I had with the storyline is that I think he came back to Gotham a little too quickly...then again, I guess there's only so long you can have him meandering the outskirts before you bring him back where he can do things. Him showing up to the door at the end of the episode was a nice hook, and I can't wait to see Cobblepot and Jim Gordan match wits in the next episode.

The Montoya/Barbara kiss...unless I'm mistaken and it happened in the comics, I'm not exactly thrilled the show made the decision to give the pair sexual tension. I felt the whole lesbian kiss thing smacked of desperation and seemed unnecessary. The two characters are rivals for Jim Gordon's love...isn't that enough?

I'm starting to think that maybe there are too many characters and that some ought to be demoted to recurring status. There's just too many storylines for each episode to pay attention to each week- the Case of the Week, Major Crimes, Barbara's worries over her husband, Bruce Wayne's story, Oswald Cobblepot's story, Falcone vs. Mooney, Selina Kyle...there's just too many to juggle, with too much posturing and action not done with the storylines. Easily a storyline or two could have been demoted to "recurring" status, because some of the stories haven't seem to have gotten started yet.

Overall though, it was pretty entertaining.

• Love 1

Eh, I think the problem with Montoya is not the storyline itself, but how Victoria Cartagena is playing her. I cannot get involved or care at all because she plays Montoya so damn unlikeable - and it is not just the writing, because her lines are not that bad. Erin Richards doesn't have much chemistry with either Ben McKenzie or Victoria, and I'm not quite sure what TPTB wants to do with these three.

The Montoya/Barbara kiss...unless I'm mistaken and it happened in the comics, I'm not exactly thrilled the show made the decision to give the pair sexual tension. I felt the whole lesbian kiss thing smacked of desperation and seemed unnecessary. The two characters are rivals for Jim Gordon's love...isn't that enough?

Montoya and Barbara are not rivals for Jim's love. Montoya still loves Barbara, and Barbara loves Jim, who loves Barbara back. It remains to be seen if Barbara still loves Montoya or just has some sort of residual what could have been kinda of affection. 

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 1

I don't think Barbara was a willing participant in that kiss at all.  I'm sad that they chose to force this kind of storyline on Barbara to make her relevant to the story. They have so many possibilities with the character as constructed yet the only thing they're doing is turning her into a love interest. I do like that she had enough empathy to not confront Gordon with what she learned after she saw the way he was suffering.

Fish/Falcone was is interesting. But are we seriously supposed to believe that Fish would be stupid enough to  put herself out there by snitching on Gordon? There's not that many people who know about the supposed murder so  it's not like that info couldn't be traced back to her.

It still feels like they don't have enough time to tell the full story. The mystery of the week is still getting shortchanged. Though I will admit it's interesting watching Batman's origins. However, Penguin's origin feels all over the place.

I don't think death by balloon is going to be topped by any other crime show this year.

(edited)

Is Oswald going to murder several people every episode? Because I'm already tired of that. Surprised he made himself known so soon.(This is more about the writing than the character.)

There are too many regulars. They're going to have to decide that not everyone has to be in every episode.

More thoughts later.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Holy hell, did anyone else get a huge "The Killing Joke" vibe when Barbara went to answer the door at the end?  I know it's the wrong Barbara, but jeez - I thought for sure she was going cop a bullet.  I guess that was their Joker reference for the episode.

I'll be bluntly honest, Renee is one of my favorite female comic book characters ever and I am primarily watching for her. She is such a likeable and relatable badass in the comics so I can't help feeling utterly disappointed in her portrayal thus far, as it seems like they are throwing her underneath the bus in order to prop up their straight white male protagonist.

In the comics she is a good detective with great deductive skills and her relationship with Gordon is one based on mutual respect, but here?

Renee is one of my favourite characters from the Comics too, but I don't mind this version.  Comics Renee had some rather serious flaws too, namely anger and a tendency to hit the bottle a bit so she wasn't exactly Superman.  Montoya in the comics also has the advantage of at least rising through the ranks when Commissioner Gordon is in charge and Batman is established in Gotham - she has people to admire.  There doesn't seem to be any of that here, yet, in this Gotham so it would seem Renee would still be finding her way.  But that's what I look forward to for her Character Growth.  It's only the 3rd episode, and hopefully plenty more episodes to come where her character can develop.

Mr. EB didn't know the title of this episode so about halfway through (before the newspaper headlines), he said, "So this villain is going to be called Balloon Man? That's not very scary sounding."

Jada Pinkett's overenunciating and scenery chewing is getting on my nerves. We get it. You are sooooo smart and sooooo sneaky. Ugh.

Jim Gordon has some major self control. His hot girlfriend is wandering around the apartment in just a shirt and he...leaves?

When Gordon and Bullock found the storefront with the balloon, why didn't they shoot it then? As soon as I saw the balloon, I thought hurry up and SHOOT IT! I did love the comical effect of seeing the balloon victims floating away.

• Love 2

This episode was a bit more silly than I needed it to be.  The first two episodes worked for me because even though they both had dark humor, you could still sense the overall vibe of seriousness taking place.  This episode veered too much in the direction of camp, I think.  I'm fine with elements of camp, but I hope the show pushes the crime drama element first and foremost.  We've been told for decades now that Gotham City is a dark and dangerous place.  I didn't feel that in this episode with people floating into the air while attached to balloons of all things.  It totally reminded me of something more reminiscent of that awful Batman show from the 1960s.

Edited by Syndicate

Good third episode but probably not as great as the first two.

With the Balloonman, it's nice that we can get some vigilantes and bizarre ways of bad people getting killed. That's a good thing because I don't want this show to be too Nolan influenced at times.

Gordon and Bullock's dynamic remains fun to watch but it's weirdly reminding me of Life On Mars for some reason. You can guess who fits which role, right?

Barbara finally came across as a bit more interesting this week. Maybe Renee does bring that out on in her. More scenes with them please.

Renee and Crispus almost seem too desperate to assume the worst in Gordon. Why would they instantly believe Fish?

The cat and mouse antics with Falcone and Fish are fun to watch. Really fun.

Nice introduction for Maroni as well, loved his scene with Oswald.

Oswald continues to be the highlight of every episode. Loved his final scene this week as well.

Nice little moment with Selina as well. Not surprised she managed to escape.

The Batman foreshadowing with Bruce is coming along nicely too.

Essen needs something interesting to do other than give orders.

No Nygma this week but I guess there's always next week for another brief scene, 7/10

You quoted something someone else posted. My reply to that was just under the quote. I answered, in part, that I did not think The Balloonman was Bruce's inspiration.

Okay, I did not realize that the italics was a quote from another poster.

Guest Accused Dingo

I Liked the balloonman storyline. It was fun. Gothum is fun. I am not sure what the to make of the Barbara/Montoya story. I am not willing to write it off as just a jealous ex just yry. I like the guy olaying the penguin. The mob storyline is picking up. Fish mentioned sinethibg about Arkum.

I do have questions though. does Bruce have any friends? Does he go to school? Have servents besides Alfred? I mean the Waynes live in a big house they had to have had servents right? What happened to them? Or should i just write it all off as weird rich people behavior and move on?

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 1

Ben Mackenzie continues to impress as Gordon.  His complicated partnership with Bullock, and how each subtly influences the other, remains one of the most interesting things about the show.  I hope that continues to develop.  

I'm still meh on Barbara Kean and her subplot with Renee Montoya.  I didn't read the comics and just think the Montoya and Allen characters are pointless and could be eliminated with no effect.  I wish the show hadn't introduced Barbara as Gordon's fiance, but had her meeting Gordon several episodes down the road and then have their relationship slowly build over the course of the season.  If we saw Barbara as an independent character with her own life first, it would make her more interesting.  Right now, I see little chemistry between them and don't get why they're even together. 

Oswald is still great, while Fish Mooney remains a bit too over-the-top.  

I continue to like the scenes between young Bruce and Alfred that lay the foundation for future mythology.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I do have questions though. does Bruce have any friends? Does he go to school? Have servents besides Alfred? I mean the Waynes live in a big house they had to have had servents right? What happened to them? Or should i just write it all off as weird rich people behavior and move on?

Good questions. I was never a huge Batman fan from the comics because I found him to be weird, eccentric, and a tad crazy. So young Bruce living alone in that huge mansion with Alfred, maybe going to school or having private tutoring, fits perfectly with my vision of his childhood. 

They could rename the show Oswald or Cobblepot or Penguin, and I wouldn't mind one bit. He is carrying this show, and that's saying something because Gordon, Bullock, and Falcone are all bringing it. This is Robin Lord Taylor's show.

There's really nothing I hate in this show. So far so good, but like I said this is Oswald's show.

• Love 2

They could rename the show Oswald or Cobblepot or Penguin, and I wouldn't mind one bit. He is carrying this show, and that's saying something because Gordon, Bullock, and Falcone are all bringing it. This is Robin Lord Taylor's show.

There's really nothing I hate in this show. So far so good, but like I said this is Oswald's show.

I completely agree. IMDb says he appeared in The Walking Dead, I've seen them all and I just can't place him. Was he the kid who got impaled on the iron fence? Anyone? That kid has really got presence, imo.

• Love 1

I agree that the Oswald character really makes this show with Mooney coming in a close second.  Still not really giving a toot about Cat Girl and I feel like they are shoehorning young Bruce Wayne in. 

Was he the kid who got impaled on the iron fence? Anyone?

That could very well be him; with all that makeup on that the walkers wear it's difficult to tell.  Personally I'm kinda glad I don't recognize the actor from any projects--I hate that "oh there's so & so from that tv show".  And luckily for me Jada Smith is a skilled enough actress that I don't think "oh there's Will Smith's wife" every time I see her.

• Love 1
I completely agree. IMDb says he appeared in The Walking Dead, I've seen them all and I just can't place him. Was he the kid who got impaled on the iron fence? Anyone? That kid has really got presence, imo.

When Rick and Carol went on a supply run they found a couple hiding in the bathroom of a house, Sam and Ana. He played Sam -- the guy with the separated shoulder -- by the end of the episode, Ana was walker-food and Sam was never seen again.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the balloon seller yet. What a bizarre looking person! He looks like he came straight out of a comic book. I can't believe he had such a small part. I wonder if he will come back in a later episode as a villain, even though he was innocent in this episode. I'm not familiar enough with all of the batman villains, outside of the most well known ones, is there a character that would suit him?

• Love 2

Off the top of my head, the comics have only rarely dealt with Bruce at this age. Usually when we see pre-Batman Bruce Wayne, he is already college age or older, traveling the world solo to get the skills he needs as Batman.

There was a storyline called "Hush," in which a Bruce Wayne around this age had a best friend named Tommy Elliott who was also the child of a wealthy family. He helped Bruce realize to beat people he has to be able to anticipate his opponent's moves. Tommy, however, was a psycho and tried to kill his parents by cutting the brake line to their car. Thomas Wayne saved Tommy's mom's life, which had Tommy resentful. Tommy would later grow into the villain Hush. 

So I could see the powers that be introducing that character. It would be good to have Bruce have someone his own age to bounce things off of.

A friend gave me a volume of Gotham Central and I really liked Renee Montoya in that; I'm less thrilled with her here and I think it's partly the actress.  She just isn't selling it to me.  It is early in the series so I hope things improve on that end.  I'm not very impressed with Major Crimes at the moment.

I'm really enjoying Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock and, again, that's partly the fact that it's Donal Logue and he is owning it.  His dismissive attitude towards the missing/dead banker was the ideal contrast to Gordon's insistence that a crime was a crime and needed investigating.  I liked too the way he kind of hesitated before taking the shot on the balloon.  Maybe he was waiting until he had the best angle; or maybe he was thinking how easy his life would be without Gordon in it.  The murder by balloon was so different and so fun, I was willing to ignore the science of the matter.

Much to my surprise, the Penguin is becoming one of my favourite characters.  If he killed that guy for his shoes, I'm guessing the hostage in the closet last episode was returned to his mother in a body bag.  I'm really liking Fish too in all her cold-blooded glory.  I feel bad for poor Laszlo, beaten and now terminally discarded.  I like the actress who plays Selina Kyle but I'm a bit thrown by how big a part she's playing on the show.  I wasn't expecting that, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. 

• Love 2

I like this show more each week. Feel like it's still having some growing pains, but that's too be expected. They are trying to find the right balance of camp and drama, while mixing in something for the traditional comics readers. Not to mention trying to surprise the audience when we already know how the story ends, or begins, depending on your point of view.

I thought this week was a giant leap towards the balance necessary. Balloonman is so 1960's Batman. I half expected Adam West to appear at some point. The scene where the guy came crashing back down was tailor made for a Kabloom! Sphlat!. Then the serious nature of the way Bullock and Gordon investigate cases, even the cartoony balloonman, creates drama, and sometimes comedy. And nobody plays earnest like that sexy Ben McKenzie (my new Monday crush). He is killin' it.

Jada Pinkett Smith is a strong actress, but so far she seems to be just vamping it up and doing her best Eartha Kitt impersonation. Which would be fine w/me if I could figure out who Fish Mooney is supposed to be. JPS shined in her scene last week w/Falcone, but then this week she was back to just filling space. She also comes alive in scenes w/Bullock and Gordon, but not sure how often that can happen, or where it goes. At this point she's basically a snitch, and she needs to do more than that. Either go full tilt boogie on the “comic, cartoony” aspect of the character (her name is Fish Mooney for gods sake), or change the way she's being played and take her truly dark.

And my problem w/Barbara and Montoya is not the way either are being written, but rather the actresses playing them. We posters who called the sexual tension between them from the beginning were right. I can only assume that's why those particular actresses' were chosen. B/c I think they were both miscast, and not strong enough for the material. Last night was especially glaring when Barabara was sitting on the couch in her robe and defending Jim to Montoya. I got nothing from either one of them. And in the scene between Barbaba and Gordon when he gets home from work. The words are there, but theres nothing behind those words, or in the actresses eyes.

But I'm willing to give it time, b/c the good still far outweighs the bad.

• Love 4