Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I hate the "Hippopotamus for Christmas" ad. Everything about it annoys me, from the gratingly repetitive song to the whiny, greedy little kid, to the indulgent parents.  I especially hate the mother's face and haircut.

Don't know why it irritates me so much, but there you go.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 8

I love the Kohl's ads.  But I think the elf/squirrel/reindeer is unnecessary... what's wrong with just showing the lady chasing the guy down to return his American Girl doll to him?  I love that he hugs the lady, a complete stranger.  Very appropriate during the season when people seem to be a little nicer to each other for no good reason.  Too bad the spirit doesn't seem to stick around for the other 11 months of the year.

• Love 10
On 12/8/2016 at 2:53 PM, Eliot said:

I hate the Amazon "Hippopotamus for Christmas" ad. Everything about it annoys me, from the gratingly repetitive song to the whiny, greedy little kid, to the indulgent parents.  I especially hate the mother's face and haircut.

Normally I like seeing women with short hair on TV, because not everyone can have those oh-so-prevalent perfectly styled flowing locks at any age.  But her haircut is atrocious, and I'm thinking her face would look better with a different style.

• Love 1

Until I came to this thread, I had only seen the Kohl's commercial with the baking mom, and I loved it, if only for subverting my expectations.  Just as I was muttering about bratty teenage boys who can't be bothered to lift a finger, he asks his mom if he can help.  More commercials with people being kind and grateful, please!

That Polish commercial!  It's so lovely it hurts my heart!

• Love 4
On 12/8/2016 at 2:53 PM, Eliot said:

I hate the Amazon "Hippopotamus for Christmas" ad. Everything about it annoys me, from the gratingly repetitive song to the whiny, greedy little kid, to the indulgent parents.  I especially hate the mother's face and haircut.

Don't know why it irritates me so much, but there you go.

It's not Amazon, it's US postal service.  And it annoys me too.  Kids get fixated on one thing, and the will suddenly switch to something else.  That's why it's not always a good idea to have your kid's room decor, school supplies and clothing, all decorated with the latest cartoon or video game.  

• Love 3

The newest BMW commercial annoys me.   At least it's not a new car with a big bow on it.   But they managed something worse.   They manage to insult holiday traditions.   "It's not about kissing under a poisonous plant.   It's not about believing that the bone of a dead bird can grant wishes."   What is wrong with these harmless traditions that you have to put them down in order to sell your pretentious cars?   Asses.

• Love 16
12 hours ago, backformore said:

It's not Amazon, it's US postal service.  And it annoys me too.  Kids get fixated on one thing, and the will suddenly switch to something else.  That's why it's not always a good idea to have your kid's room decor, school supplies and clothing, all decorated with the latest cartoon or video game.  

You're right! Fixed.

• Love 1

I hate the hippopotamus ad because that poor little girl.  Yes, she loves hippopotamuses.  But fuck's sake I'm sure she loves other things too and would NOT appreciate getting a Mickey Mouse anniversary clock eight years in a row, no matter HOW ungrateful that makes her sound.

Ahem.  Sorry about that, I may have been projecting.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I hate the hippopotamus ad because that poor little girl.  Yes, she loves hippopotamuses.  But fuck's sake I'm sure she loves other things too and would NOT appreciate getting a Mickey Mouse anniversary clock eight years in a row, no matter HOW ungrateful that makes her sound.

Ahem.  Sorry about that, I may have been projecting.

I agree. The kid was in awe of a hippo at the zoo. The parents are the.ones who went overboard and buying all the hippo stuff, serves them right she likes deers now.

• Love 7

Don't know if this is specifically a Christmas ad. But what looks like two old friends, one a priest, one a muslim imam. They both smile at their old-guy aches and pains. Seperately they think of something to order from Amazon for the other guy. The same thing. Padded knee braces, to make kneeling a little bit easier.

• Love 22
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

Hate it...nothing funny about a mother who can't control her kids...

Yep.   Mom is sitting around drinking while the kids are hitting each other with sticks.  IF someone gets hurt, call 9-1-1, police and paramedics come.  child is hurt, mom's been drinking, kids are turned over to Child Services, mom goes to jail. 

• Love 5

This time of year every year (or at least the last two), Cineplex (in Canada? Don't know if they have cinemas outside of this country) has been putting out a commercial, not strictly holiday-related but one can see the connection, promoting 'sharing the magic' (of film) with loved ones. I don't know whether I love it or hate it, but I do know that both of them provoke a strong emotional reaction in the form of 'not-so-manly tears' (as opposed to the 'single manly tear' stereotype, not saying crying isn't 'manly').

The first one:

Lily and the Snowman

The second:

A Balloon For Ben

• Love 3

I hadn't seen the Kroger one this year, xls, but I love it!  The guy in the wheelchair looks so kind, and I have invented a whole backstory for it in my head.  They are all workplace friends (maybe professors at a small, liberal arts college) who genuinely enjoy one another's company.  OK, I have clearly thought about this too much!

• Love 5

I hate that commercial.  "You're wonderful"   "That's wonderful"   "It's a wonderful time of year"   I expect the next iteration of the ad to have Groucho Marx or Pee Wee Herman pop up because they keep saving the secret word of the day.  And that dude's hair looks like he's wearing a Death Star Random System Operator helmet.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

I hate that commercial.  "You're wonderful"   "That's wonderful"   "It's a wonderful time of year"   I expect the next iteration of the ad to have Groucho Marx or Pee Wee Herman pop up because they keep saving the secret word of the day.  And that dude's hair looks like he's wearing a Death Star Random System Operator helmet.

The next iteration has everyone using the word kind.  No Groucho or PeeWee though.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

All of the Kroger holiday commercials annoy me. They seem too saccharine like everything and everyone has to be perfect. 

I love the Toyota commercial with the guy visiting his brother for Christmas and shows up on his doorstep with a cooler full of snow and throws a snowball at him as soon as he opens the door. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, sofaslug said:

Saw tonight for the first time (and hopefully last), an ad for V I Poo which suggests giving it as a gift.  I try to imagine the recipient's face as the open the, uh, gift.

Has anyone tried this stuff though? I could totally do without the cartoon poop in the commercial.

• Love 2

The Petco Archie ad they brought back makes me smile.  I much rather see him bouncing around on a pogo stick than that K-Mart guy.

On 12/2/2016 at 6:01 PM, bitchin camaro said:

I like Marshmallow World.

<<< backs away slowly

On 12/2/2016 at 11:39 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'll back away with you, because I like the K Mart elf. She's cute.

My unpopular opinion is that I don't mind the Target director kid this year.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 4

Wow, that Andre commercial actually makes the stuff look drinkable. It's actually terrible. Pretty good in a mimosa, though. And excellent if you want the kind of hangover that makes you wish your parents had never met.

• Love 3

Re: the Jane Seymour "Open Hearts Necklace"-- the first few years that I saw this advertised, I always asked myself "Why is she advertising a "Z" necklace?" What does that have to do with her? Even after I learned that it was an open heart, it still made no sense to me. It looks like a "Z", Jane. If you want to sell an open heart, then make a heart with a space in it so that it looks like an open heart. Geez-it doesn't take a genius.

• Love 1

From smittykins' link:

André's Cold Duck Wine is a sweet sparkling red California Champagne, that mixes full fruity flavors with that fizzy taste. Think of Cold Duck as a standard table wine, that brings a little class to your dinner (after all, it is a bubbly).

Yes, impress your friends with a bottle of carbonated rot gut!

• Love 2