Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Someone needed to tell Dre (and probably Charlie) that on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (second time I'm referencing that show on this show's forum, by the way), Will and the Bankses were a Republican family.  Hell, Carlton even spent part of a summer at a Young Republicans' camp!  So black Republicans aren't necessarily out of the question.  Just uncommon.

I'm from a black Democrat family, though, FWIW.

Would Dre and Charlie have watched Fresh Prince? Have they referenced it. I could see them being too cool back in the day for that show.

I have to admit that I had a similar reaction of disbelief the first time I met a black Republican (same for a gay Republican). I just kept asking "are you playing a joke?" If you quizzed the black people in my family, a lot of them would probably need to switch parties. But I'll never tell them that.

• Love 2
I thought it was moronic. They're both intelligent women, and it was not believable that they wouldn't understand what he meant

It's called cognitive dissonance. The human mind is capable of playing tricks with itself to try to resolve uncomfortable feelings. Bow and Ruby love their son/grandson but don't love Republicans. Therefore they tried to turn what they heard Dre saying into something that didn't cause as much mental conflict. I thought that bit was exceptionally well-done.

Re Black Republicans, Olivia Pope is one. (The fictional character only; Kerry Washington was an Obama supporter and has openly campaigned for Democratic Party causes.)

• Love 10
Surprised Zoey didn't start with contacts.

She was wearing very stylish glasses. I remember the first time I tried to put on contacts...It took me 30 minutes to put one one and another 20 for the other. Getting them off also took forever. I was a slow learner. I now don't use mirrors to take them off or on.

I'm curious what boar bacon tastes like now. I'm sure it won't have nearly enough fear though.

• Love 4

I thought this was a hilarious ep. Bow and Ruby not hearing REpublican cracked me up. Also "Black Jesus!" never fails to make me laugh.

I always love Jack, but I esp loved him here. I thought he was particularly good and funny.

This is such a great show. It's one of my favorites.

• Love 5

I know he's a smug, arrogant asshole, but I really loved the cameo of Bill Maher, and having Junior sit between him and Obama's campaign Manager? I forget the guy's name.  It took me back to Bend it Like Beckham's opening, where all those sport reporters are gushing over Jess and interviewing her mother, which was a dream.

This was another winner for me, and I love that Diane got her comeuppance, after what she pulled last week.

• Love 1

Both of my parents are black Republicans. My father was the chairman of my hometown's Republican party. I identified as one too, until I went to college and started developing my own ideologies. 

I also have friends, a gay couple, who are both staunch Republicans. Truth be told, I'm more surprised when I meet gay Republicans than I am when I meet black ones.

So this episode didn't resonate as much for me as some of them have. As someone said earlier, there was a time when a lot of black folks identified as Republicans. Some of them still do. 

There were some funny moments, but it wasn't one of the stronger episodes for me.

The way I learned it, from Reconstruction to the early 1900s, most black folks considered themselves Republicans because of Lincoln etc., although many were not actually allowed to vote (see "Solid South").  With the New Deal in the 1930s and expanded voting rights in the 1960s, the consensus shifted to Democrats.  I would have thought some of the characters had heard about this from older relatives.

What would that have added? Many know this, but it's not really relevant today as most black Americans vote Democrat regardless of what the Republican Party used to do be. The only time I hear about it these days is when a Republican is trying to convince black people that we're not unwelcome.

I thought the show did a good job of making both parties look comical. I mean Dre and Bow were discussing eating seaweed for goodness' sakes. Aren't "liberals" always been teased for being uppity and eating fancy food? Instead they get to the Republican family's home and they're eating fancy bacon, against type. And while I may not have agreed with the Republican mom's take on motherhood, her beliefs are shared by others and I don't think they were dismissed regardless of Bow's horror recoil.

I also think they showed that while Dre is the type who can't articulate why he's a Democrat and perhaps votes blindly, 'Bow seemed to have a handle on why she's a member of the party. It takes all kinds.

FTR, I am affiliated with no party.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a friend in college who was a black, gay republican. And he was the president of a conservative, southern based fraternity. I cant imagine what Dre would make of him...

I'd like to hear Pops' take on that one. 

Does Ruby live with Dre's family now? She's around too much.

This show made me think of an old joke where a Catholic school nun asks kids what they want to be when the grow up. One girl answered, "Prostitute" and the nun fainted. When she came to, she asked the girl to repeat her answer. She did. In relief, the nun says, "Oh, I thought you said Protestant."

Different seeing Zoey with concern for her brother's choice of political party, considering how she's cared for nothing else but her own world in the past. But having a budding Republican in a family is a call to action, all hands on deck...

Edited by mojito

I'm trying to remember why Charlie started listing that long, long, long group of black men that married white women?

He was proving his point that there were a lot of black Republicans in America.

• Love 1

I'm trying to remember why Charlie started listing that long, long, long group of black men that married white women?

He was proving his point that there were a lot of black Republicans in America.

HAHA! 

Loved Jack showing his PartyTime dance moves. And Diane being sooo jealous of Zoe being the New Gurkel. The way she snapped those glasses in half!

Loved this episode! It was hilarious that Bow just couldn't quite grasp Junior being a Republican.  At first, I thought she would be okay with it, as in "let him figure this out on his own".  Her and Ruby not getting it at first is just like Ruby not getting her daughter is gay despite much evidence to the contrary. Sometime people just don't want to get it. Besides Idris Elba, Ruby and Bow can agree on none of the kids being Democrats.

I knew Junior was joining because of a girl.

Nice to see Bumper "Clarence the so fine" Robinson. I was disappointed the girl's mom turned out to be that kind of Republican. Don't get me started on people that think that like that.

'Let him talk?  Can he talk? Can my man talk?' is something the hubby and I are about to start saying when we are talking. It's just ridiculous.

I agree that the show did a great job of making both sides look crazy. I want to point out the obliviousness of Dre's boss talking about his Uncle Tom. It's like how can you not know that "Uncle Tom" is a bad thing? White privilege in the flesh.  

After watching this episode though, I wondered why the fact that Sarah Palin is Diane's hero was not mentioned?

SmithW6079, I agree with you on the Gurkel thing.

• Love 1

I was disappointed the girl's mom turned out to be that kind of Republican. Don't get me started on people that think that like that.

It was hilarious how she was all "I leaned BACK!" and her husband seconded her. Then Bow said, "You know I'm a DOC-TOR, don't you? A doctor and a MOTH-ER."

She's supposed to be a realistic protrayal, and yet I don't know any teens, save for 1-2, that act like that. Granted, TV tends to exagerate things.

Agreed the actress is  beautiful.  I'm sure the longer the show goes on, we'll get something.

I loved Ruby's face about the sandwich and Bow dancing at the possibility of no more Ruby. I was about to start dancing myself. 

Pops may treat Rainbow the same way but Bow lets him get away with it, doesn't get her the same way Ruby does, is either Pops treats his own son that way and/or underneath is a geniune affection for Bow. Like he knows his son married up but he's not going to be all about his feelings and what not. I say he may treat her like that because I never thought of it that way. 

I have a gay cousin and my husband had a gay uncle. It's seriously "don't ask, don't tell" and it doesn't make any sense so I definitely related to this episode.  I'm glad that Dre was willing to kick Ruby out his life.  I was shocked.  I wish he would have some of that backbone when it comes to Bow and his mom.

I'm worried about how street dumb they're making Junior.

But it's oh, so funny.

I do wonder how Junior (and Zoey) might handle the possibilities of being racially profiled by the police or being discriminated against at school or when searching for a job. Or if he dates interracially and meets his girlfriend's racist parents. I know this show wasn't created to deal with those issues, but being that it's called "Black-ish," I wonder if they could at least discuss some of the issues in a humorous way.

But it's oh, so funny.

I do wonder how Junior (and Zoey) might handle the possibilities of being racially profiled by the police or being discriminated against at school or when searching for a job. Or if he dates interracially and meets his girlfriend's racist parents. I know this show wasn't created to deal with those issues, but being that it's called "Black-ish," I wonder if they could at least discuss some of the issues in a humorous way.

I'm actually interested in seeing an interesting take on discrimination - either Junior or Zoey date someone of Asian descent and has to face the kid's very ignorant immigrant parents. 

Cute episode. It was a fun way to end the season. I loved Zoey's handheld Morse code device.

It was a subtle detail, but the racist Mad Men style agency with the initials KKK had me rolling, but Josh's ad pitch...oh dear God.

Pops as always is a welcome addition.

• Love 6

That's how you do a season finale. The family together, but in a new and interesting concept. It would be cool, if the show lasts several years, if the season finale always had them going back to another era, black-ish style. The possibilities are endless - the '50s, the '70s, '80s, the old west, WWII. Or they could work through the decade, with next year doing the '30s with the Depression, the third year do the '40s with the war, and so on.

The Roaring Twenties were a great era, costume-wise (even though I hate that swimming cap pin curl hairdo), and I love when it's revisited.

• Love 5

Diddy is funny! I always forget that - he was funny in "Get Him to the Greek" too. He looked like he was having a ball. Mary J. was kind of wooden but I love her cover of "I'm Going Down" so I'll allow it.

Pops's "Who. Is telling. The story?" cracked me up. I love Laurence Fishburne.

• Love 8

It was a fantastic season finale. Everyone looked fabulous and I especially liked Zoey's styling. When Dre started break dancing because he couldn't get up from the floor (rickets?) I started screaming. And was that Yaya DaCosta sitting at the table with Diddy's character during the dance-off? If not it was an amazing look-alike.

Mary J. was kind of wooden

Yeah she was clearly reading her lines from cue cards. She looked and sounded great though.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. Loved Pops' warped history. Invention of the union and jazz, and mention of the Spanish flu, all of which pre-dated the timeline of his tale by years and even decades. The play on words (Bea's knees, Lead Belly) and the vague reference to Dizzy Gillespie. Loved the connection from telegraphy to texting. 

Imagine the history that might come out of Bow's father's family! He could be related to Bow's mother...

• Love 1

I liked this episode, but it wasn't a hit for me like previous ones.  There were some funny moments throughout.  Loved the end when the twins still got an F on their project!  And of course all the interactions between Pops and Ruby: "You're not trying in any way at all to butter me up."  "Nope!"  I really wish both of them were on the show together more, as opposed to Pops around and Ruby is missing or vice versa.

• Love 1

Wow. Just me? I hated it. Did not laugh once and I love this sitcom.

there has already been people that didn't like it here. I am not one of them though. There are no arcs to a show like this. So, having the family all together and doing something different from the norm was a great way to end the season. Diddy was great, the warped sense of history was fun, everyone got a chance to shine, it had a great design and was also very sweet. Nothing for me to complain or hate personally.
  • Love 7

I loved Puffy being in on the joke that he really can't dance.

Man, that Laurence Fishburne is an ac-TOR.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy the entire cast (especially Tracee; I haven't liked her this much in anything else), but when they were playing their 20s counterparts it was "Anthony Anderson as Dre as Ass man" or "Tracee Ellis Ross as Bow as 20s dame."  But Laurence Fishburne was just straight up another character.

• Love 10

I thought it was a little too gimmicky for a first season show, something I would expect in season 4 or 5 .  It was ok but not a highlight at all.

• Love 1

I surprised myself by absolutely loving this one. It reminded me of the way NewsRadio used to ends its seasons with "What if all the characters were on the Titanic" and the like. And each time I reacted with "Wait! It makes no sense that she looks like Bow!", they would be there ahead of me. I quickly just settled in happily and enjoyed it.

(edited)

The dance contest was hilariously bad, especially that Dre's dance double was much thinner than he was.

I like "flashback" episodes like this, when people look amazingly like their ancestors.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

The dance contest was hilariously bad, especially that the Dre's dance double was much thinner than he was.

And wearing different colored pants, if my TV is reliable. Given the excuse that the whole flashback was "unreliable narrator," they seem to have had fun sending up the idea of dance doubles.

The final "shotgun!" gag still makes me laugh to recall it.

• Love 6

I like "flashback" episodes like this, when people look amazingly like their ancestors.

I don't like episodes like this, and Blackish was no exception to that rule. But there were a few good things. Others have already mentioned Zoey's period look and her telegraph texting. And I liked Dre's "ice ice baby."
  • Love 4

Re Black Republicans, Olivia Pope is one.

I'm actually surprised no one in the family has dissed her yet.  I mean, what with being a Republican, acting so incredibly white, having white taste in décor in her apartment, and being part of TV's alleged hottest love triangle as a woman caught between two white men (they couldn't have at least had one black man wanting her?), Olivia is the ultimate Uncle Tom!

Olivia Pope is one.

Olivia Pope is not a republican she just sleeps with one. She says in the 3rd season that she'd be casting for the opposing party to vote for Fitz

I'm still iffy on this show but this was a great episode.

Olivia is the ultimate Uncle Tom!

Oh dear. I believe the current term is "New Black".

Olivia Pope is not a republican she just sleeps with one. She says in the 3rd season that she'd be casting for the opposing party to vote for Fitz

Yeah she said that but I think too many of her actions in support of Fitz and his administration put her R camp, in deed if not in voter registration status. That said, Fitz is some kind of bizarro world version of a Republican that exists only in Shonda's mind. He's definitely a RINO.

I loved it. Some of it was Big Fish inspired. In a good way. As in what is history and what really matters? And for some its what you believe or get out of a story. As a historian I find that to be true. In RL. Some people have even hard facts and its all in how its framed and interpreted. It doesn't hurt that the writing and actors are a hundred precent committed and jokes in point : ) and when stories are told in an off beat personal way it reminds me of Rashomon .

• Love 2

This was not my favorite -- it was a fine episode, but it just didn't feel "season finale" enough for me. I don't understand why a show would waste a season finale on what was essentially a gimmick. Some of it was funny, but it felt more like a mid-March episode than a season finale. I realize sitcoms don't have arcs, but you don't want to end the season going "...That's it?" I agree they needed to have Lawrence Fishburne back for the finale, but I feel like there was a better way to do it. Now I'm wishing "Please Don't Ask..." was the finale: a family-centric episode with a good mix of humor and heart, and a nice denouement.

Overall, a solid first season, but ending with a whimper rather than a bang. Will be interested to see how it does at the Emmys.

I mean, what with being a Republican, acting so incredibly white, having white taste in décor in her apartment,

Hmmm....just curious how one acts "white?"  And I've heard of bad taste in decor but not "white taste."  I'm wondering what that entails--couch, walls, floors etc. all in basic white?  

• Love 1