Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Except Rappaport doesn't "act" this way. It's who he is. It's how he was raised. They got an actor that actually fits the character instead of getting someone to act "down".

Yep, Michael Rapaport is from New York, and I second watching his Tribe Called Quest documentary. He's played a few characters that straddle racial lines (although his Higher Learning character, a neo-Nazi, was a departure from that). His breakout role was in Zebraheadwhere he played a white kid in Detroit who loves hip-hop and has a black best friend whose cousin he falls in love with; in Bamboozled he played a TV network president who was married to a black woman and didn't think Damon Wayans' character, a producer, was "black enough."

I was cracking up when Dre was chasing Bow with a spray bottle! The spray bottle is a friend to natural hair - except when it's straightened!

"I said good day sir." I missed Pops.

I loved the whole topic. Code switching is such a deep thing. And having white people tell you what it means to be black (and that usually is "a checklist of things you see on Yo MTV Raps") is a very real thing. "You're black but you're not, like, black." 

I'm black and hate collard greens. (I hate all steamed/sauteed greens; it's the texture.) However, fake cheese? Fake cheese is the work of the devil.

• Love 6

Yeah, Michael Rappaport getting his Bronx on sounds so natural for him.  So much better fit for him than that horrible country-hick-mafia-corn-pone accent he  put on when he was on Justified last season. Such an awful performance all around.

He was awful in Justified.  He redeemed himself last night.  I thought he was very funny.  I hope they keep him as a recurring character.  Loved Charlie's box presentation especially the dog house.

I remember Michael Rappaport mostly from his 90's stuff. It took a minute for me to recognize him here.

Of course Diane's hero is SP. It just makes her more terrifying (even though I love Diane!)

I love Charlie just being Charlie, wig on the boxable box and all. Josh is quietly becoming a master of nonverbal reaction shots, especially during Charlie's whole neighbor stealing the cornmeal scene. The guy does some great work without ever saying a word, though I do think he was trying not to break when Jay was talking to Dre in their last scene.

Also, Pops is back! Good day, sir, indeed!

ETA:

"Kente Kunta" Oh, Bow. I also couldn't comprehend Mr. Brady playing a slaveowner.

I commented on the Fresh Off the Boat thread that I have also been shamed by well-meaning(??) Caucasians about not maintaining my roots as defined as being fluent in my parents' native language, while others criticize for not assimilating enough (eye roll). I did enjoy the touch at the beginning where Dre says that if every Hollywood movie is to be believed, it's the white man who always shows the way. They really went there.

I remember as a kid watching the TV movie of Ruby Bridges life and even back then, I couldn't get over the fact that the entire story starred and centered around the white woman who played her teacher. I think things have only slightly changed in the last 20 years, smh.

Edited by pookat
  • Love 4

I don't watch this show much but when I do, it is because of 'Fish'....they need to keep him and that damned fool Jenifer Lewis much more front and center.  He was very funny with the IRS storyline.

Rappaport!  Been crushin' on Michael since Zebrahead and loved him in Higher Learning...good actor who should be seen so much more.  The only thing that took me aback was how much weight he has put on, whoever his 'shorty' is in real life is feeding him well.

• Love 1

Michael Rappaport has an Al Bundy thing going on right now. Looks aside, I enjoyed him here like I always do. He is hilarious.

The spray bottle was genius. That is so something Mr. Maverick would do while chasing me around the house.

I can't throw too many stones at Bow since I first watched Roots at the age of 33. However, her disgust and disinterest was kind of sad. Actually, really sad. To me.

Pops is gold.

I'm going to rewatch.

• Love 1

Zebrahead! Thank you all for reminding me of that movie. It was with N'Bushe Wright (and where has she been), and I remember liking it when I first saw it.

I also let out a gasp of delight when I first heard Laurence Fishburne's voice in that kitchen scene with Bow and Dre. Like, yes! Pops is back. Now I also feel the need to watch School Daze.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1

There was Bow referencing an Empire watch marathon (because she'd never seen Roots. What did her parents do for that not to happen?!).

I was pretty young (like 5 or 6?) when that mini-series came out so I only have vague memories of my mom watching it and of me noticing scenes that were really upsetting, but I could believe Bow growing up in some hippie commune where no one watched TV. Her comment about wanting to skip it because the dad from Brady Bunch played a slaveowner was pretty funny. It was pretty sad that she didn't want to finish watching it though. It seems like the kind of mini-series everyone should see.

I did enjoy the touch at the beginning where Dre says that if every Hollywood movie is to be believed, it's the white man who always shows the way. They really went there.

I think that was a great point and I'm glad Dre said it. I watched that Sandra Bullock movie The Blind Side and it just bugged me because it was all about this woman who "saved" the poor troubled black kid. I know it's based on an actual life family, but the film story was so slanted. I sat there wondering how it would have been if they had told the story from the point of view of the kid, instead of the woman. Instead of being an emotionally effective story about a kid who struggled and stood up for himself and found his way again, instead they made it seem like his triumphs were about all about her and her "good deeds." It just bugged me so much. Yeah, she made a difference in his life, but it doesn't always have to be the white person's story. I personally think it would have been better and more powerful from his point of view. Instead it felt like pandering. "Oh, isn't she a saint, for taking in this kid?"  *sigh* 

• Love 8

Also, Pops is back! Good day, sir, indeed!

ETA:

"Kente Kunta" Oh, Bow. I also couldn't comprehend Mr. Brady playing a slave owner.

I was cheering and clapping to see Pops back! I love Jennifer Lewis, but her fights with Bow have gotten old and tired.  I love Pops more. So please, show, gimme more Pops. I nearly fell off my couch when he showed up in the tweed suit, with pipe in hand and glasses and said "My good man" to Rappaport.

Not only was it traumatizing for me to see Mr. Brady as a slave owner, but Papa Walton as one who hunted, kidnapped and brought them over! 

Aaand the Rifleman as a rapist! Nooooooooo!!!!!!

I could go on, but it would derail the thread.

I loved this episode, so, so much.

• Love 2

I thought this was a terrific episode as well. I can totally relate from having to go back and forth between worlds. I can also relate to knowing a few white people who don't think I act black enough. While I'm nowhere near their level financially, it's nice to have a family on TV I can relate to.

I'd like to see more of these issues from Bow's perspective and hope the show eventually shows us that. We've often seen Dre struggling with being an upper-class black male. Does Bow struggle too? Most of these types of episodes are centered around Dre, which is fine but I think seeing this from a female's point of view would be interesting.

• Love 7

My absolute favorite moment was the look Jack give Zoe after her presentation. The actor nailed - a perfect mixture of disgust, disbelief and disappointment. It made my life. I rewound it three or four times. To me, that look even topped the looks of disgust that Diane gives Charlie.

Except Rappaport doesn't "act" this way. It's who he is. It's how he was raised. They got an actor that actually fits the character instead of getting someone to act "down".

If you didn't know that about the actor, then it just looks like some dumb ass poseur. I found it embarrassing to watch, but that's me.

Edited by SmithW6079

If you didn't know that about the actor, then it just looks like some dumb ass poseur. I found it embarrassing to watch, but that's me.

Well, the man has been in the business since the early 90's. He's been consistently himself the whole time. And I could see the creators assuming people would know who he is. A Tribe Called Quest documentary, John Singleton movies, Spike Lee movies, etc. He's been involved in black culture for decades. That's all I'm saying.

I was pretty young (like 5 or 6?) when that mini-series came out so I only have vague memories of my mom watching it and of me noticing scenes that were really upsetting, but I could believe Bow growing up in some hippie commune where no one watched TV. Her comment about wanting to skip it because the dad from Brady Bunch played a slaveowner was pretty funny. It was pretty sad that she didn't want to finish watching it though. It seems like the kind of mini-series everyone should see.

My parents didn't show me Roots. I don't know any parents who did. Everyone I know watched Roots in school. I've seen that mini-series more than once because of school (public school). As crazy it may seem, it's easy to have missed Roots. If your parents didn't make you watch it or it wasn't in shown schools, you probably didn't watch it. It not exactly something your average person is going to want to binge watch. Shoot, until just over a year ago, I had no idea there was continuation to Roots. I knew there was Queen but I didn't know about or had seen the next generation or the Christmas special. And I didn't know until recently how fool shit Haley was in terms of his family Roots.I spent my whole life thinking that story was 100% true.

I was wondering about Dre's description of Good Wife as being a cross between Girls and Downton Abbey. That really makes no sense at all, and the black-ish writers seem smarter than to just take three names of well-known white-dominated shows out of a hat. I was thinking that maybe they were trying to subtly state that Dre doesn't really discern differences between white-dominated shows, but Dre's white coworker also agreed with him. So I'm stumped. Is there something I'm missing?

I figured it was meant as a startling comedic non sequitur that none of us would have thought of. But I agree that there has to be some shred of plausibility in order for the joke to work at all. So my guess was that The Good Wife supposedly combines dominating female characters (as in Girls) with convoluted serialized plots involving lots of scheming and reversals (Downton Abbey). That leaves a lot out, of course, but it was enough for me to buy it and move on.

This show has run out of gas.

Diane favoring Sarah Palin goes completely against her established intellect. 

Dre trying to prove his blackness using stereotypes was downright embarrassing. 

This show has run out of gas.

Diane favoring Sarah Palin goes completely against her established intellect.

Dre trying to prove his blackness using stereotypes was downright embarrassing.

I'm here with you on this with this episode. If you think about it, the saving grace was Pop because so little made sense.

1. Bow has never seen Roots but she knows about the role the father in the Snow White Brady Bunch played means she chose not to watch Roots because people I know who have never seen it, none are Bow's age, only know it's about slavery, no real specifics.

2. For Sarah Palin to be Diane's hero, remember the twins age, that means her exposure to Palin has been her post VP, racist, hate-spewing, lunatic self; so what does that say about Diane. What does it say that her parents make no effort to educate her about this foolishness?

3. Vanilla Ice and the disgrace that is that song was at a minimum 15 years ago. Again, based on his age, how and why would Jack even know about that? From his many black friends and relatives who rock that song and think the Vanilla Ice look is amazing? From the many stations that play the song in heavy rotation? This only works if Jack, at his young age has made the conscious choice to find the lamest, most irrelevant and racially offensive white rapper to idolize. As is the case with Diane, what does that say about Jack.

To me the only way this episode with the things we were presented works if if Dre is imagining all of this as something extreme and ridiculous that would happen I when MR came to dinner. Otherwise, this episode was all about pandering.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

1. Bow has never seen Roots but she knows about the role the father in the Snow White Brady Bunch played means she chose not to watch Roots because people I know who have never seen it, none are Bow's age, only know it's about slavery, no real specifics.

This is the second time this month I've heard of a grown black person who'd never seen Roots. The other was the co-host of the Denzel Washington is The Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast. It happens.

And, trust me, I know people who have no business liking Sarah Palin or Sarah Palin-type people, but do anyway. Could be rebellion, could be misinformation, could be influence from friends, could be that she's a little girl.

Vanilla Ice is back in the news with TV shows, nostalgia concerts and arrests. Kids have infinitely more to catch up on than we did. They're bound to get something mixed up.

Some of it's a stretch, but it's a sitcom.

Edited by JinNashville
  • Love 2

This is the second time this month I've heard of a grown black person who'd never seen Roots. The other was the host of the co-host of the Denzel Washington is The Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast. It happens.

And, trust me, I know people who have no business liking Sarah Palin or Sarah Palin-type people, but do anyway. Could be rebellion, could be misinformation, could be influence from friends, could be that she's a little girl.

A kindred spirit! The Denzel podcast is my new favorite podcast.

I remember Bow once asking Dre if they 'always' had to talk about the struggle, so I can imagine her parents not letting her watch Roots because they didn't want her focusing on something that happened in the past. Even progressive hippies can think that way.

I had the feeling that the hero choices were heavily influenced by Zoey and Junior. I can see Zoey admiring Sarah Palin's sense of fashion and not knowing (or caring) about her political beliefs or who she is as a person. And Junior probably showed Jack a Vanilla Ice video, and Jack liked his dance moves.

Dre defended Bow!!!!  "Because of my wife's macaroni and teese, my cholesterol has gone down, and I don't need Lipitor anymore."

• Love 3
Some of it's a stretch, but it's a sitcom.

Of course. Sitcoms are all about absurdity. Palin and Vanilla Ice work as reference points because on their own, in many circles, they're considered jokes. They're already punchlines. I'd be more concerned if Diane and Jack's heroes were, say, Scarlett O'Hara and Ted Nugent.

• Love 3
A kindred spirit! The Denzel podcast is my new favorite podcast.

Mine too! The hosts and I go back and forth on Twitter. It's fun.

I'm black and an 80s baby and my parents didn't show me Roots. I watched it in my 7th grade history class. I asked my parents about the book after that and my parents gave me their copy (old, cover torn, dog-eared). There was always "black stuff" around my house (when I asked about the book, my parents were like "Oh sure, here" and pulled it off the shelf in the den), but we didn't have a Roots screening.

This is the second time this month I've heard of a grown black person who'd never seen Roots. The other was the host of the co-host of the Denzel Washington is The Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast. It happens.

Note, I did not deny that black people could have not seen Roots; I said or don't buy that someone who had casually/inadvertently not seen Roots would know something as specific as the character an actor in a non- major part played and the specifics of the role. That to me says some sort of choice was made in the decision rather than knowing Lavar Burton played Kunta/Toby without having seen the film.

I'm here with you on this with this episode. If you think about it, the saving grace was Pop because so little made sense.

The scene where Bow realizes that Mike Brady is a slave owner is when she is actually watching Roots.  Dre has finally convinced her to watch it and  she and Dre are sitting in front of the flickering tv.  It is the one-two punch of realizing that not only OJ is in it and Mike Brady is a slave owner that makes her decide to stop watching it.

I could be wrong, but  I interpreted the Sarah Palin/Vanilla Ice thing as a deliberate 'cry for help' choices by both Jack and Diane.  They had been so quick to reject Bow's help with their projects in favor of Jr. and Zoe, than when they actually worked with their two older siblings they realized they would get no real help.  There is a scene where they both said to the camera, breaking the fourth wall, 'I played this all wrong' after they knew Zoe and Jr. were useless to them.    So I got the impression they chose those two for deliberate shock value, not because they were truly their heroes.

• Love 3

The only reason why you wouldn't be able to breathe in a Spanx  is if you're trying to squeeze a lot of fat into one that is too small.

Which is what people who aren't shaped like Bow tend to do.

People who can breathe comfortably in Spanx don't actually need them.

Of course. Sitcoms are all about absurdity. Palin and Vanilla Ice work as reference points because on their own, in many circles, they're considered jokes. They're already punchlines. I'd be more concerned if Diane and Jack's heroes were, say, Scarlett O'Hara and Ted Nugent.

You've just reminded me of something I must have buried. At one point in my early childhood, I was kind of fascinated with both. Good grief, children are dumb!

They showed Roots in schools? That would be a no-go where I'm from. But, my family still puts at least part of it on every Christmas. I didn't know it wasn't required viewing.

But, all of this Roots and DWITGAOATP talk is making me want a Black/[insert race] People Homework thread for TV.

@DearEvette, you may be right. There was so much going on in this episode, that I think it deserve a rewatch.

But, all of this Roots and DWITGAOATP talk is making me want a Black/[insert race] People Homework thread for TV.

I think you broke my brain with that abbreviation. I have no idea what "DWITGAOATP" is. LOL.

• Love 1

I think you broke my brain with that abbreviation. I have no idea what "DWITGAOATP" is. LOL.

Sorry, it's the Denzel Washington is The Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast that was discussed a few times up thread. I just wanted to see if I could write it just the one time. My brain is bruised from typing it.

Edited by JinNashville
  • Love 1

You know, I remember people mentioning that upthread, but in the moment I just found my brain completely blank, staring at it and saying, "I can't even figure it out. I have no idea what that is..." LOL. Thanks for clarifying!

• Love 1

Aaand the Rifleman as a rapist! Nooooooooo!!!!!!

I could go on, but it would derail the thread.

Well, I don't about the rape part, but I have it on good authority that Chuck Connor was indeed a racist asshat. The stories of a relative who came into contact with him ruined my enjoyment of The Rifleman for quite a while. Edited by red12
Well, the man has been in the business since the early 90's. He's been consistently himself the whole time. And I could see the creators assuming people would know who he is. A Tribe Called Quest documentary, John Singleton movies, Spike Lee movies, etc. He's been involved in black culture for decades. That's all I'm saying.

If my knowledge of an actor and his background are required for my understanding of a character's behavior, then the actor isn't a very good one, nor are the writers for not providing the proper motivation/background. It's like having to follow a show on social media to gain an understanding of what's being broadcast.

No biggie. I personally found the character ridiculous, and so was Dre for falling into that trap. 

• Love 1

I just couldn't get over everyone acting like collard greens are some authentic soul food and kale is white people stuff. They're almost identical! They can be used interchangeably! (Yes, not the point of the episode). 

• Love 3
Dre's sister, Rhonda, is in town for Mother's Day and although she hasn't come out to the family, everyone knows she's gay - except Ruby -- and Bow thinks Dre should tell her the truth. Meanwhile, Zoey tries to help Junior have better 'gaydar,' and Diane and Jack compete to see who will have the perfect Mother's Day gift.

Considering Zoey's level of infractions, Dre was a lot more right than Bow. And I don't think we heard an unreasonable rule from Dre on camera. We heard Zoey say that she's only allowed out once a month. That could have been one of his 10,000 commandments or a Zoey specific punishment. Also we've never really seen evidence of Dre being scary; we've seen a ton of evidence of him being an insecure baby.

• Love 6

That was some heavy-handed product placement. Hope the show isn't going to make that a regular thing.

No-Neck the homeless guy moved like one of those lopsided zombies from The Walking Dead. Hilarious.

LOL at Dre worrying about seeming scary and then showing up at the office in a camo print jacket.

Taffy-up and come join me in the loophole.

• Love 1

Zoey lost her right to go to the spring formal because she drove Bow's car?  I thought it was already established earlier in the episode that she'd done that already and had gotten punished for that.  Did I miss something like her having done so again?

The references to everything the homeless guy had done to Dre made me titter.

This is the second time this month I've heard of a grown black person who'd never seen Roots. The other was the co-host of the Denzel Washington is The Greatest Actor of All Time Period podcast. It happens.

Get ready for number three -- I, too, am one who hasn't, and I'm a grown black man.

• Love 2

I'm going to need a full transcription of that priceless outline of Gateway Interactions, according to Dre:

"First, driving a car without a license. Then crack. Then having a toilet baby. Then selling the toilet baby for better crack."

It was funnier than that, but I was dying laughing.

• Love 4

If my knowledge of an actor and his background are required for my understanding of a character's behavior, then the actor isn't a very good one, nor are the writers for not providing the proper motivation/background. It's like having to follow a show on social media to gain an understanding of what's being broadcast.

No biggie. I personally found the character ridiculous, and so was Dre for falling into that trap. 

Hmm...I think there is a misunderstanding here. I believe it was said that Michael's portrayal of the character was offensive, which someone else defended the portrayal as authentic to who Michael really is. So, it wasn't that you needed his background to understand the role necessarily, but rather, the claim that he is being (potentially) offensive by acting that way doesn't hold up because that's who the actor really is. This isn't saying that someone has to like the "portrayal", but if there is an insinuation that what he's doing is racist/offensive, then that must be addressed. 

Regarding the character itself, I can buy the ridiculous for a comedy and because there are types like that in the world even if they're tone down (which some of them are probably worse). Dre fell into the trap because that's who he is. This is the same guy who threw a temper tantrum at a ski lodge because he didn't get the room he wanted (I believe). He's gotten upset over less, so I don't expect less of him concerning his blackness being questioned. In the end, the guy accepted Dre not because he proved his blackness, but because he asserted himself and was no non sense rather than trying to prove he belonged, which was all Michael's character wanted all along.

Although the character is similar to who Michael is as far as behavior goes, I believe the character is meant to be ridiculous. You can't question a minority's identity and judge what is valid and who isn't, which is the lesson Dre had to learn: he doesn't have to prove his identity to anyone.  

• Love 3

Zoey lost her right to go to the spring formal because she drove Bow's car?  I thought it was already established earlier in the episode that she'd done that already and had gotten punished for that.  Did I miss something like her having done so again?

The first punishment was for when Dre caught her driving...someone's car? Not sure whose. Then when Bow was about to drive her to the spring formal (after stating that it was all taken care of and that Zoe had learned her lesson), she figured out that Zoe had (also, apparently after being punished the first time) driven Bow's car. So it was a second infraction.

Considering Zoey's level of infractions, Dre was a lot more right than Bow. And I don't think we heard an unreasonable rule from Dre on camera. We heard Zoey say that she's only allowed out once a month. That could have been one of his 10,000 commandments or a Zoey specific punishment. Also we've never really seen evidence of Dre being scary; we've seen a ton of evidence of him being an insecure baby.

This may be the first time in the history of the show that I thought Dre was in the right more than Bow. It may make sense with the story of Bow's upbringing, and I get her wanting Zoe to let her into her life more, but...man, she made some questionable calls.

• Love 2

For once I was totally on Dre's side. While I get Bow saying that the children should be allowed to make their own mistakes, I don't think that should include breaking the law, which includes driving without a license. What if she hit another car or, worse yet, a person? This isn't about rebelling against her parents. This is about doing something illegal. Zoe needs to respect existing laws, even if she doesn't respect her parents' rules, and she needs to learn that she can't just do whatever she wants whenever she feels like it.

As for Bow's weak ass excuse about wanting Zoe to let her into her life, that attitude annoys the crap out of me. You are her parent. Your job is to parent her, which includes giving her boundaries. The point of having a child isn't to force them to be your BFF. I totally get that it's difficult during the teen years but Bow wanted to be Zoe's girlfriend, not her mother, and she didn't want Zoe to be mad at her for being the bad guy. That is far too common these days and I hate seeing when kids have all the power in the house because their parents are too scared to be mean.

• Love 12

For once I was totally on Dre's side. While I get Bow saying that the children should be allowed to make their own mistakes, I don't think that should include breaking the law, which includes driving without a license. What if she hit another car or, worse yet, a person? This isn't about rebelling against her parents. This is about doing something illegal. Zoe needs to respect existing laws, even if she doesn't respect her parents' rules, and she needs to learn that she can't just do whatever she wants whenever she feels like it.

As for Bow's weak ass excuse about wanting Zoe to let her into her life, that attitude annoys the crap out of me. You are her parent. Your job is to parent her, which includes giving her boundaries. The point of having a child isn't to force them to be your BFF. I totally get that it's difficult during the teen years but Bow wanted to be Zoe's girlfriend, not her mother, and she didn't want Zoe to be mad at her for being the bad guy. That is far too common these days and I hate seeing when kids have all the power in the house because their parents are too scared to be mean.

This episode reminds me of My Wife and Kids where Daymon Wayne's character let the kids for one episode let them do whatever they wanted and they realized that while their dad's rules were strict they couldn't break regular laws or anything. However, that was the last time I ever got Daymon's character because a few seasons later they left without saying what the rules were. At that that time the kids were 19, 16 and 10 and shouldn't need to be told the rules. Yet they went and threw a party, had alcohol, ate stuff they were allergic too and so forth. That is where the line draws between being a young and stupid and just being plain stupid. Here it is where it needs to be: "I am the parents, I'm not perfect but I know more than you and you are being a complete moron here." "I have raised you better than this." Instead of: "I just want to be my kid's friend." There is a line.

I thought this ep was hilarious. I couldn't help making note of the amazing lines. I could have written them all.

Bow: Where did you grow up?
Dre: Far away from your hometown of Vanilla Hills, a suburb of Caucasia, population… zero toilet-babies.

Bow's Mom: Rainbow my sweet, I don't want to harsh your vibe, but you might find that your choice leads to an unexpected result.

In the fb after Pops tears up Dre's room, Dre tells Bow, "I learned discipline AND sewing."

Zoe: I'm your civil rights movement.
Jr: False prophet.

Dre calling Bow on her undermining chicken routine. "Brpppp Brpppp Brppp BROP!

Pops: When I heard Tony's shopping cart coming, I knew you were all right.

Zoe: My phone died.
Dre: So you were at a phone funeral, that's where you were?

I can't remember who said it, but, "You's a scary man."

Pops: You're soft. You're LADY soft. You're Ladysoft Black Mombaza.

Dre's crying face when he learns that Bow had been conspiring with Zoe was great.

When Dre and Bow are coming down the stairs before talking to the kids about rules, Dre says something about hiding something, then says 'The Imitation Game.' For a second I thought he was referencing 'The Crying Game,' then my mind snapped to and I heard 'The Imitation Game.' However, The Crying Game DOES fit with hiding something. Coincidentally, later he says to Bow that the girl Daylan turned out to have a penis. 

I loved the Yes and No fb's that Bow and Dre had, esp when Dre said no to Diane's A paper.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7

I feel a little easy for loving every episode that Pops is in, but really - he just adds so much to the show. Stick around a while, Pops.

Maybe it's the cynical old lady in me, but I felt like it was a little obvious that Bow was being set up for a fall with all of her crazy talk about trusting children and being their friends. But I did like to see that, while she is on the whole the more reasonable person in the relationship, there are instances where Dre is in the right.

Still, though - my favorite part of the episode is Dre at work. Charlie, Josh, and the boss (whose name I forget, but I still love) are some of the best recurring characters on TV right now.