Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any day when all businesses are closed. Even on Christmas Day, there are still places that are open (restaurants, gas stations, 7/11, lots of grocery stores).

Per the Department of Labor website:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations or holidays (federal or otherwise). These benefits are generally a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative).

While the FLSA does set the minimum wage for certain workers, it does not, however, require any of the following:

Severance pay
    Sick leave
    Vacations
    Holidays

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Many service industries have to stay open on all Holidays, I'd say, and many others choose to in order to reap the rewards of others having the day off.  Malls and stores are open most of them, even if in limited hours, but usually with extended hours for the shoppers with the day off.  Though they do tend to close on Christmas day.  Restaurants, hospitals, hotels, police, fire, 911 operators, gas stations, etc all are open.

• Love 1

I liked it but some parts were a little much.

Charlie almost freezing to death in the snow b/c he wanted to make a snowman was funny as was wearing "slacks" to ski.

As someone who's husband is in law enforcement I did like the line that not ALL policemen are racist. Thanks show.

• Love 1

I am taking of MLK Day so that I can participate with my children in their "A Day On, Not A Day Off" program through school. So no, I don't get the day off either. Not every business closes for federal holidays.

I thought this episode was pretty funny, even if some of it was a retread. I love Bow and I'm really hoping Tracee Ellis Ross gets recognized come Emmy time.

Visually, Jack and Bow are the funniest. He with with his bright eyes, big teeth, enthusiasm, and naivete, she with her wide-eyed expression of disbelief.

I'm always a sucker for group sings in cars. And site gags, like Diane with the cucumber slices beneath her glasses and Dre writing his letter (from a Birmingham jail). I'm not one to get any laughs off these comedy shows; I'm happy for a few chuckles. I always get a few from this show. You know what they say about the big things in life not necessarily being entire incidents, but moments. For me, this show has more noteworthy moments than most shows.

• Love 1

DWB - "DWUB" "No, it's driving while black, idiot"

The candy is free.

Andre feeling like it's been forever since he saw Bow when it had been 12 minutes.

Bow's quotation marks for Dr. Kings doctor status.

"Diane" "Charles"

The window into what white people do when black people take off for MLK day.

The whole car singing "All about that bass"

"I'm allowed to have interests" from Junior about his Bieber fandom.

Charles whole reaction to be pulled over.

I don't see how these things aren't adding up to a another funny episode. Well, it is for me anyway.

It seems that when the show embraces it's more cringey elements, people don't respond well to it. I don't mind it because it doesn't always go that far into it and it's been in the shows DNA since the pilot. I laughed my ass off as usual.

I agree. I loved it. Laughed out loud several times.

I especially loved Charlie saying Diane is weird because I think I'm the only person here who doesn't care for her LOL. Charlie is my Greek chorus.

• Love 1

This episode took me out of it a little bit when it implied there were people that worked on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I don't know anyone of any race who works on a national holiday in corporate America (where Dre clearly works). Everything is closed. It just seemed like a weird way to get in casual racism that wasn't at all based in reality. It's not a "holiday" -- it's a holiday. Schools, the stock market, the post office -- nothing is open. To imply that some random advertising agency in Southern California stays open because it's full of white people was really odd to me.

But I did love "The Black Blackist." That was clever.

Lots of things are open on MLK day- I've worked every single one in a doctor's office- we are open on most federal holidays. My kids go to preschool and it's open as well, along with President's day and Veteran's day. My husband doesn't get those days off as well.

I hope this episode was the bad one in the lot- the others have been so great.

Edited by twoods

DWB - "DWUB" "No, it's driving while black, idiot"

The candy is free.

Andre feeling like it's been forever since he saw Bow when it had been 12 minutes.

Bow's quotation marks for Dr. Kings doctor status.

"Diane" "Charles"

The window into what white people do when black people take off for MLK day.

The whole car singing "All about that bass"

"I'm allowed to have interests" from Junior about his Bieber fandom.

Charles whole reaction to be pulled over.

I don't see how these things aren't adding up to a another funny episode. Well, it is for me anyway.

It seems that when the show embraces it's more cringey elements, people don't respond well to it. I don't mind it because it doesn't always go that far into it and it's been in the shows DNA since the pilot. I laughed my ass off as usual.

I would add "Are you going toddler on me?" and paraphrasing, "the alabama man-slap and the solange knowles".  I don't remember the exact quote, but it ended with solange knowles.

• Love 2

Do all you people who think everyone else gets off MLK day also think that most of us work from 9 to 5?

I kid, I kid.

I kind of liked Charlie on this show, his paranoia about "Game over" if they'd opened his trunk, his mutter of how much jail time he'd get. I like that he's so offbeat and mysterious, but comes in small doses. This is what makes Pops special, too.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

Rainbow is a doctor, who IIRC works at a hospital, not a 9-to-5 clinic.  Hospitals run 24x7 and need doctors and other personnel working at all times.  Likely Rainbow had to plan ahead to get MLK day off, and there's a good chance she had to agree to work some other holiday in exchange.  So why was there such a big deal about whether Dre would get the day off, but nothing for her?  I would have expected at least a line from her about it.

In only half a season, this show has already built up a lot of goodwill with me so I'm more than willing to look past one off episode.

That said, I think this episode could have been really good if the writers had just dialed Dre back, and then not had Junior give that speech on the bus.  I don't know if it was the words themselves or MS's delivery, but it really didn't work for me.

It's interesting, I think this show, Goldbergs and Middle all have that one character that the writers need to be careful not to take too far.  On Middle it's Sue and on Goldberg's it's Bev. 

Re: having MLK day off, the company I work for always floats it to either the preceeding or next Fri.   I think its very weird because everyone else is doing business the floated-to and we're closed.  

Edited by Tiger
Rainbow is a doctor, who IIRC works at a hospital, not a 9-to-5 clinic.  Hospitals run 24x7 and need doctors and other personnel working at all times.  Likely Rainbow had to plan ahead to get MLK day off, and there's a good chance she had to agree to work some other holiday in exchange.  So why was there such a big deal about whether Dre would get the day off, but nothing for her?  I would have expected at least a line from her about it.

The show does this all the time-- emphasizing Dre's work and glossing over Bow's. We know several characters Dre works with, but I can't think of a single one from Bow's workplace that has been at all developed. The only times we've seen Bow's work at all were when she brought a kid with her and when she was distracted by an argument with Dre. By contrast, Dre's work is seen as being an independently fulfilling and significant part of his life, and Bow's is just given lip service and shown only as an extension of her role in the family.

• Love 1

The show does this all the time-- emphasizing Dre's work and glossing over Bow's. We know several characters Dre works with, but I can't think of a single one from Bow's workplace that has been at all developed. The only times we've seen Bow's work at all were when she brought a kid with her and when she was distracted by an argument with Dre. By contrast, Dre's work is seen as being an independently fulfilling and significant part of his life, and Bow's is just given lip service and shown only as an extension of her role in the family.

I am willing to cut the show a lot of slack for this.  I did a quick search for how this show was promoted before the season started, and found descriptions like this -

Black-Ish is about a man named Andre Johnson, played by Anthony Anderson, who must juggle the hilarious haps and mishaps that come with raising his black family in an affluent suburb.

It would make sense that we see so much more of Dre's work, since the show premise revolves around him.  And it makes sense that the show was to revolve around him since Anthony Anderson was the most known of the actors.  It is very possible that the whole idea for the show was based on "Hey, Anthony Anderson is funny, let make up a show for him" rather than "Here's an idea for a sitcom, now let's find someone to star in it."

This emphasis on one character is typical - Roseanne was built around having Roseanne as the star, and in the early years we saw much of Roseanne's work life and knew her work friends. I vaguely remember a scene at a worksite where Dan was installing drywall, but I that memory is really, really vague (he may have tried to get Becky's boyfriend a job?)  It wasn't until Dan opened the bike shop that we saw  much of Dan's work (and Roseanne was working there too for a while), and there were still far more scenes of Roseanne's job. 

Eventually, they may spend more time on Bow's work and Bow's side of the family (as they did with Dan's), but we are only 12 episodes into the first season. 

That said, the real question to me now is why was no one saying "Hey, Tracee Ellis Ross is pretty funny.  Let's make up a show for her."  I had heard of Anthony Anderson before Black-ish, although I knew nothing else, other than the name was familiar, but never heard of Tracee Ellis Ross.  I checked her bio on IMDb and was surprised to find she starred in Girlfriends.  I never watched it, and didn't know anyone who did (I tend not to watch sitcoms until I hear a lot of other people saying how much they like it, because too many of them are such a waste of time - I just started watching Black-ish over the holidays), but Girlfriends was on for 8 seasons - longer than any series AA was on.  TER has kept busy since, so it isn't like she dropped out of the public eye.   

I was also surprised to find out her mother is Diana Ross. 

• Love 2

That said, the real question to me now is why was no one saying "Hey, Tracee Ellis Ross is pretty funny.  Let's make up a show for her."  I had heard of Anthony Anderson before Black-ish, although I knew nothing else, other than the name was familiar, but never heard of Tracee Ellis Ross.  I checked her bio on IMDb and was surprised to find she starred in Girlfriends.  I never watched it, and didn't know anyone who did (I tend not to watch sitcoms until I hear a lot of other people saying how much they like it, because too many of them are such a waste of time - I just started watching Black-ish over the holidays), but Girlfriends was on for 8 seasons - longer than any series AA was on.  TER has kept busy since, so it isn't like she dropped out of the public eye.   

I was also surprised to find out her mother is Diana Ross. 

I adored Girlfriends and watched it during its original run. All of the people I know who watched it, liked it, loved it, all that jazz. TER has always been a great comedic actress (she did some brief sketch comedy work for MTV, The Lyricist Lounge Show) and has been my BFF in my head since Girlfriends. :)

This is all to say that she isn't an unknown by any stretch. The issue is that ABC is a "mainstream" network. Girlfriends was on CW (previously UPN), which targeted a more specific audience. Another network with a more specific audience, BET, also had a show--Reed Between the Lines--that was trying to be a more modern The Cosby Show with her and Malcolm Jamal Warner. It wasn't a great show, but I watched it because of TER and MJW.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 7

I have to agree with those who felt this was the weakest episode so far.

There were some really great lines, I loved the entire scene in Rainbow's car and in the mini-mart store.  And yeah, the enmity between "Diane" and "Charles" is intriguing.  But on the whole I could not enjoy this one.

I think so far the show has been maintaining a great balance between Andre's neurosis and the sharp commentary the show is trying to make.  But I think Andre's antics went 100% over into the neurosis part and as a result the satire & comedy suffered.  It went beyond just being uncomfortable, it kinda went into outright buffoonery, imo.

So yeah, didn't like this one so much.

I liked the parts everyone else mentioned -- the car singalong, "Diane" and "Charles," the discussion about traffic and parking near the parade, the 40-year-old snowboarder who got 10 hours of sleep, Bow's rant about being a real doctor, etc. -- and I also chuckled when Dre was in hotel "jail" and the woman came by and offered him a warm cookie. "No, thank you! ... Wait... are they snickerdoodles? Okay, yes. Thank you." LOL.

Anthony Anderson is the actor playing the lead character. He co executive produces the show, he's one of the people responsible for getting it developed on TV, he was beneficial in getting Fishburne on board. These are reasons why Anthony Anderson gets more screen time and development than Bow. It says nothing to Ross and her star power or comedic chops.

• Love 1
This episode took me out of it a little bit when it implied there were people that worked on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I don't know anyone of any race who works on a national holiday in corporate America (where Dre clearly works).

I'm the owner of a small business. I get to decide which days my people get as "holidays". I tend to default on days where we can't get in touch with our clients. I also like to give the day before, day and day after Christmas & New Years, because you can't get in touch with people those days.  Every now and then I think about making Thanksgiving, Xmas & New Years a non paid day, but that would me I would need to show up. So, bleh.

I remember waaay back that Anthony Anderson mentioned that he would rather be a bit player/best friend in the film because there was more stability.  That always struck me as a very rational and calculated take on the business. 

• Love 1
So America doesn't have a list of statutory holidays, where businesses are legally required to be closed and workers get the day off?

Nope.  Neither is any business legally required to give paid vacation days, paid sick days or paid maternity leave.  In fact, unless your company qualifies under FMLA, (which is minimum 50 employees), it isn't required to give you any unpaid days off either (i.e. it can fire you for being sick, getting pregnant, etc.).  Capitalism at its finest.

I too have never worked at a company (in my case, a lawfirm) that gave paid holiday for MLK Day.  When I first started working, over 20 years ago, my firm did give off Presidents Day, but in the last 10 years, no firms I know of give that day off anymore.  My current firm gives the staff a "floating holiday" of MLK day, Presidents day, or day after Thanksgiving (yup, my firm is open on Black Friday - any others I know about are too), but attorneys are required to work that day unless they choose to use a vacation day.  All the black employees in my firm always took MLK day off, but none of the white employees did (although some, like me, brought their kids to work because school was closed - I do the same on Presidents day - hey, if you require me to be here, better expect to see my kids because I can't leave them home alone and all-day babysitters are expensive - my husband doesn't get the days off either).

It is amazing how many places in the US are open on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving.  When we have visited family in France over Christmas, there's nothing open on that day...nothing. 

Girlfriends was on for 8 seasons - longer than any series AA was on.

Actually, the longest African-American series was Family Matters with nine seasons.  Girlfriends ties with The Cosby Show for second at eight, though.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

Actually, the longest African-American series was Family Matters with nine seasons.  Girlfriends ties with The Cosby Show for second at eight, though.

I think AA is for Anthony Anderson in the quote. 

Yes, I meant Anthony Anderson.  

But you got me curious ... The longest running African American sitcom was the Jeffersons - 11 seasons

My city has one of the largest MLK marches in the country, and while my company doesn't give us the day off, they highly encourage us to participate in the march and they send busloads of employees. I was laughing when Dre and Bow were discussing whether to go to the march and were immediately like, "gawd, no"... "The food isn't very good ", "the parking..."

I rewound it twice when Dre said he watched a Justin Bieber biopic, but I swear he pronounced it to rhyme with "myopic", instead of BY-o-pic.

Overall, I thought this episode had funny parts but also was painful to watch for the most part.

• Love 1

I rewound it twice when Dre said he watched a Justin Bieber biopic, but I swear he pronounced it to rhyme with "myopic", instead of BY-o-pic.

Overall, I thought this episode had funny parts but also was painful to watch for the most part.

I just watched a biopic and I believe I've heard others pronounce the word to rhyme with "myopic".  Not sure if that's new but I have heard it a few times.

As for this episode, when I first watched it, I cringed and didn't want to see it again.  However, when I saw it again, I actually did laugh and enjoyed it more.  Not sure what it was but there were definitely very funny parts (which have been mentioned already in this thread).

Although Dre and Rainbow find they always end up quarreling on their annual Valentine's Day date, this time around, Dre is determined to do everything right and keep the peace. Meanwhile, Diane realizes she may not have received many Valentine's cards because she is too critical, so her siblings decide to teach her how to give a compliment.

Nope. Neither is any business legally required to give paid vacation days, paid sick days or paid maternity leave. In fact, unless your company qualifies under FMLA, (which is minimum 50 employees), it isn't required to give you any unpaid days off either (i.e. it can fire you for being sick, getting pregnant, etc.). Capitalism at its finest.

I too have never worked at a company (in my case, a lawfirm) that gave paid holiday for MLK Day. When I first started working, over 20 years ago, my firm did give off Presidents Day, but in the last 10 years, no firms I know of give that day off anymore. My current firm gives the staff a "floating holiday" of MLK day, Presidents day, or day after Thanksgiving (yup, my firm is open on Black Friday - any others I know about are too), but attorneys are required to work that day unless they choose to use a vacation day. All the black employees in my firm always took MLK day off, but none of the white employees did (although some, like me, brought their kids to work because school was closed - I do the same on Presidents day - hey, if you require me to be here, better expect to see my kids because I can't leave them home alone and all-day babysitters are expensive - my husband doesn't get the days off either).

It is amazing how many places in the US are open on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. When we have visited family in France over Christmas, there's nothing open on that day...nothing.

Responding to the quote above - that is not capitalism at it's finest, that is atrocious. Nothing here in Canada is open on Christmas Day either, except movie theatres and Chinese restaurants in large cities. Not getting holidays off and not getting paid is terrible, and don't get me started on no maternity leave. Or paid health care. Egads.

I just assumed MLK was a holiday that school kids, stores, corporations, etc had off. I realize essential services like hospitals are always open.

Edited by OnceSane
added quote tags

The Black Jeopardy comes after the Black Wheel followed by the Black Blacklist starring James Spade. "

That was the funny part.  Only Charlie could say something like that and make it funny instead of cringe-worthy!

This episode took me out of it a little bit when it implied there were people that worked on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. 

I work as a contractor for the County of Los Angeles.  They have MLK Day off but we don't (We have the day after Thanksgiving and they don't, so it balances).  We also have to "floating holidays" but those can be used n any day.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any day when all businesses are closed. Even on Christmas Day, there are still places that are open (restaurants, gas stations, 7/11, lots of grocery stores).

Chinese restaurants (for their Jewish customers).  A Chinese restaurant trade group just sent out a "thank you" to the Jewish people for their patronage on Christmas.

Oh man, I've always pronounced "biopic" to rhyme with "myopic" and now you have me paranoid that "biopic" is another one of those words that I pronounce strangely.

• Love 1

Responding to the quote above - that is not capitalism at it's finest, that is atrocious. Nothing here in Canada is open on Christmas Day either, except movie theatres and Chinese restaurants in large cities.

On the other hand, not everyone is a Christian celebrating Christmas, so there's that. It is a tradition for many Jewish people in the US to go out for Chinese food and catch a movie afterwards- both open on Christmas Day.

• Love 3

Obviously, which is why I said those places were open. However, it is a stat holiday, so those working often get paid double. Even I get paid for not working, because it's a stat holiday. And not only Christians celebrate Christmas; that's pretty obvious.

As for pronouncing biopic, I thought Dre mispronounced it. It's BI-o-pic. Like biohazard, not like myopic.

• Love 1

I didn't even notice how he pronounced that. I'll have to rewatch. But Princess Sparkle, I'm sorry to tell you that you have been pronouncing it incorrectly. There are lots of words I've said that I suddenly discovered I had been saying wrong. :)

biopic = biographical + (moving) picture

therefore, BI-o-pic is the way I've always pronounced it; I apparently didn't notice Dre's variation

I don't think I've ever seen someone show up to go skiing in slacks (even as a prank), that cracked me up.

• Love 4

That was the funny part.  Only Charlie could say something like that and make it funny instead of cringe-worthy!

I work as a contractor for the County of Los Angeles.  They have MLK Day off but we don't (We have the day after Thanksgiving and they don't, so it balances).  We also have to "floating holidays" but those can be used n any day.

Chinese restaurants (for their Jewish customers).  A Chinese restaurant trade group just sent out a "thank you" to the Jewish people for their patronage on Christmas.

Hotel restaurants and a few other places as well.

You guys have already listed the moments I found funny. I'll add the exchange between Junior's friend and Dre when Dre was saying he (the friend) and his family had to do community service, it's extra. I laughed at his reasoning for the family to go skiing on such a day.  

It's funny how Dre was all concerned about Junior knowing the importance of MLK, Jr. when the family goes skiing that weekend instead of giving back in honor or MLK, Jr. Someone would say he plays lip service to the idea of MLK, Jr. Like in the first episode, his ideas of blackness are skewed. At least the ones,we get to see.

What Junior said to Dre after sitting down on the bus before he got all nerd on Dre was the same thing I said out loud once Dre started acting a fool. I didn't like his behavior mostly because it was entirely too predictable. I did laugh enough to not chuck this episode up to a total loss. If I was Bow, I would've acted like I didn't know him and left.

I didn't like Junior's speech because it was just stupid to me. Maybe b/c I'm not a snowboarder that I was like, suck it up and sit in the back. Not a big enough deal to have someone make a speech about it like it's on the same level as what used to happen to African-Americans. That speech felt shoe-horned in.

Mr. Nice hated this episode. He thought Dre was such an idiot.

I didn't like Junior's speech because it was just stupid to me. Maybe b/c I'm not a snowboarder that I was like, suck it up and sit in the back. Not a big enough deal to have someone make a speech about it like it's on the same level as what used to happen to African-Americans. That speech felt shoe-horned in.

I didn't mind it because [a] this is a comedy that does to the weird fairly often and when you confront all the efforts to treat people like second-class citizens, it helps everyone.

You guys have already listed the moments I found funny. I'll add the exchange between Junior's friend and Dre when Dre was saying he (the friend) and his family had to do community service, it's extra. I laughed at his reasoning for the family to go skiing on such a day.

I like Junior's friend.  He's not portrayed as a "banana in the tailpipe" stereotypical white kid. He's just a kid. It cracked me up that he knows more about black history than Junior. And I like that he got a grape soda out of the fridge--a nice throwback to the Pilot. He is the friend that asked for a grape soda in the Pilot, correct? When Andre got upset that he'd assume all black people drink grape soda.

I didn't mind the episode, unlike most people. The storyline was silly, but I really admire Anthony Anderson's ability to be silly and make himself the butt of the joke. And Bow's "Dr" Martin Luther King cracked me up. As someone in the medical field, I could totally relate. I thought she was going to mention the allegations against Dr. King's academic integrity--I'm glad the show didn't go there.

One thing not mentioned was when all the guys were going to Dre's car, Jack began to head there and Bow pulled him back, "not you, you're too precious to me."  And I just started laughing so hard.  I just find it hilarious how everyone in the family considers Jack their favorite and no one bothers hiding it.

I wonder why Jack is her favorite. Is it because he's cute and likes to dance? He seems kinda baby-ish, but maybe it's just that Diane is wise beyond her years. And Diane's personality is more similar to Bow's--they're both sarcastic, funny, and smart, so I'd think they'd be kindred spirits. She has the more interesting personality. Then again, mothers and daughters with similar personalities can sometimes clash. I'm not saying Bow and Diane clash. But maybe that's why she sees Jack as "precious," not Diane.

Speaking of Diane being smart, what grade are she and Jack in at school? At the beginning of the episode, Diane said "fractions are killing me." Do kids learn fractions in --- whatever grade they're in? I can see Diane being able to master them, but not Jack. Although I could be underestimating him. All of the Johnson kids are pretty intelligent, even if they seem clueless (like Junior being a grade ahead in school).

Edited by topanga

I like Junior's friend.  He's not portrayed as a "banana in the tailpipe" stereotypical white kid. He's just a kid. It cracked me up that he knows more about black history than Junior. And I like that he got a grape soda out of the fridge--a nice throwback to the Pilot. He is the friend that asked for a grape soda in the Pilot, correct? When Andre got upset that he'd assume all black people drink grape soda.

I didn't mind the episode, unlike most people. The storyline was silly, but I really admire Anthony Anderson's ability to be silly and make himself the butt of the joke. And Bow's "Dr" Martin Luther King cracked me up. As someone in the medical field, I could totally relate. I thought she was going to mention the allegations against Dr. King's academic integrity--I'm glad the show didn't go there.

I wonder why Jack is her favorite. Is it because he's cute and likes to dance? He seems kinda baby-ish, but maybe it's just that Diane is wise beyond her years. And Diane's personality is more similar to Bow's--they're both sarcastic, funny, and smart, so I'd think they'd be kindred spirits. She has the more interesting personality. Then again, mothers and daughters with similar personalities can sometimes clash. I'm not saying Bow and Diane clash. But maybe that's why she sees Jack as "precious," not Diane.

Speaking of Diane being smart, what grade are she and Jack in at school? At the beginning of the episode, Diane said "fractions are killing me." Do kids learn fractions in --- whatever grade they're in? I can see Diane being able to master them, but not Jack. Although I could be underestimating him. All of the Johnson kids are pretty intelligent, even if they seem clueless (like Junior being a grade ahead in school).

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but I remember "fractions" in Grades 1 and/or 2 here in Toronto.  Directions might say "colour in 1/2 of the circle or identify what a shaded part of a shape is (e.g. 1/3). 

• Love 1

I wonder why Jack is her favorite.

Is Jack her favorite? I hadn't picked up on that. When Bow made her statement, she already had Diane driving in her car, so I took it to mean that she wanted her two youngest with her and away from their crazy father.

For me, fractions came after we learned to multiply and divide (that's how we understood what they were), but if you count identifying something as being half full, I guess that's something I learned before fourth or fifth grade.

Edited by mojito
When Zoey brings home her first "serious" boyfriend, a boy from school also named Andre, Dre takes an instant dislike to him for many reasons, including the fact that he's white, from France and rather worldly for a kid. He's thrilled when they break up...until he learns that Andre dumped Zoey because she's too shallow, something Dre takes as a personal affront.