Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Yeah, I had a couple of friends who had kids in law school, in their twenties.  I guess they wanted them out of the way.  I did catch the Pharell reference with his underling.  Loved the purple jacket. 

If Bow is Dre's age, she would have been popping out those kids after medical school, and during her three plus years of residency with its long, crazy hours. Only in a comedy.

A little Ruby goes a long way, doesn't it?

I loved Bow's directions to the kids. To Zoey: no gift cards. To Jr.: no creepy kid massage coupons. To Jack: no macaroni footprints. Jack's response, "You couldn't have taken me aside for that one?" Killed me. I know Diane gets most of the well-deserved love, but Jack can bring it too.

• Love 8

What? No one caught the Pharrell-like way in which Curtis behaved? Then to have JD turning ever single conversation to how he's a producer extraordinaire. Speaking of music folks, I don't know if I've said it before, but I do love the music selections on this show. They're always pitch perfect.

I don't know anything about Pharrell's behavior (other than that he's Happy, of course), but I thought Curtis looked a lot like him. And then the business with the hat he put on Dre was just great.

I like Ruby, but does she live in the house now? I thought in the episode where she was introduced she was just coming to visit, but it seems like she's a permanent fixture. I'm just a little confused by that.

Also, I want more Pops! How do you have Dre's 40th birthday without mentioning where his father is? That's my only quibble with the episode.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 3

If Bow is Dre's age, she would have been popping out those kids after medical school, and during her three plus years of residency with its long, crazy hours. Only in a comedy.

A little Ruby goes a long way, doesn't it?

Zoey is 15. If Dre is turning 40, that would mean he was 25 (or possibly 24, just before his 25th birthday) when Zoey was born. If Dre and Bow are the same age, that would also mean that she was in the same age range (24-25). They would only have two kids during that time (four years of medical school and three years of residency for anesthesiology). The twins are seven, so they were born after that time period. 

Also, Dre is around. It's not as though Bow is a single mother; she's got a husband around to take care of his kids, too. I'm just not seeing what's so farfetched about it.

I don't know anything about Pharrell's behavior (other than that he's Happy, of course), but I thought Curtis looked a lot like him. And then the business with the hat he put on Dre was just great.

It was mainly the "too cool, super zen, I know where all the hot parties are" bit as well his speech patterns. The actor was a cutie, too.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 4

Also, Dre is around. It's not as though Bow is a single mother; she's got a husband around to take care of his kids, too.

Have you seen Dre? Even now Bow does all the cooking and, unless they have a hidden housekeeper, all of the cleaning. I can't see him handling diapers.

• Love 2

One thing I noticed -- which I loved -- when Bow was talking to the kids about their presents, they each had an electronic device that mapped so well with the kid:

- Zoey had her phone

- Diane was reading a book on an e-reader

- Jr. had his ubiquitous laptop

- And Jack had a tablet.

Didn't like the Ruby/Bow stuff.  They need to put that away for now and only bring it back sparingly.  And there was no real good payoff really either.

Liked the Jermaine Dupree bits.  His relentless self promotion, the non sequiters, "I'm vegan" and "I discovered Bow Wow" Ha!

Charlie & Josh remain fun.

• Love 7

I still like Ruby and haven't tired of her and Bow at odds. I loved when their packages were delivered, and Bow reveals to the delivery guy that her box was just Swiffer refills.

I also loved how the kids teased Dre about his age.

I was a Cosby show watcher, but I don't know what Rudy references you all are talking about.

Charlie was cracking me up left and right. His smelling and tasting of Dre to determine his age was great.

I teared up during the video they made for him.

• Love 2

I was a Cosby show watcher, but I don't know what Rudy references you all are talking about.

Diane was lip syncing as a birthday present. The Cosby Show did it at least twice for the grandparents birthday surprise. They had the kids lip sync to an oldies song. Rudy (the youngest) was a big part of the lip syncing.

• Love 1

Diane was lip syncing as a birthday present. The Cosby Show did it at least twice for the grandparents birthday surprise. They had the kids lip sync to an oldies song. Rudy (the youngest) was a big part of the lip syncing.

BAEBAAAAHHHH!!!

• Love 10

BAEBAAAAHHHH!!!

Here's the original:

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

After the first few seconds of Diane's song I yelled to basically no one "It's Rudy's song!" I loved that call back. And the music overall, as always, was so on point. I need to get that Forever Young remix (Jay-Z?) like right now.

I think Jack's line about the macaroni and deserving to be told that in private was my favorite of the night. Solid episode overall.

ETA: Wow to that original Cosby show clip. It's kind of surreal to see it now, in light of everything that's come out the last year. Regardless: hot damn can Phylicia Rashad move.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 3
Charlie was cracking me up left and right. His smelling and tasting of Dre to determine his age was great.

That was awesome! "I'd say about a week shy of forty", and two minutes later yelling in Dre's ear "they are putting you on the stool softener" like he finds it completely understandable and expected that old Dre couldn't hear what was said to him.

Edited by shura
  • Love 4

Have you seen Dre? Even now Bow does all the cooking and, unless they have a hidden housekeeper, all of the cleaning. I can't see him handling diapers.

Yeah, that's why I roll my eyes at the "Dre has to eat Bow's cooking" shade from his parents in this and previous episodes.  If Dre doesn't like it, he can get in the kitchen and cook what he wants. Bow presumably works full-time just like he does. 

As I said in my earlier post, I thought they were in their forties, but I'm still not even sure what kind of doctor Bow is supposed to be. Color me surprised she's an anesthesiologist. And I thought the twins were five? I need to pay more attention. 

How old is Josh supposed to be? I thought he was late 30s/early 40s as well, so it was strange for him act as if turning 40 is a sign of the apocalypse. 

Ruby can go anytime.

• Love 1

I agree with those that are tired of Ruby being so hostile to Bow. It's such a cliche. There are ways to keep them at odds without doubling down on such an outdated trope. I thought a good example was when they clashed over Diane's hair. That was a genuine conflict but it was rooted in something real and understandable. Ruby is salty enough with Pops. I don't need her to be an indiscriminate bitch. Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Jenifer Lewis. I love her so much I do a Jenifer Lewis imitation but I feel like we don't see her be decent to anyone except Dre.

Ugh. Watching that Cosby clip breaks my heart. I loved that scene so much and now when I see it I wonder if he raped someone the week they taped it. 

• Love 2

I agree with those that are tired of Ruby being so hostile to Bow. It's such a cliche.

Isn't it original to have an overbearing, boisterous black mama? That's just never done, is it?

....and the older sister saying "I feel like this has been done before".   Golden!

I think it shows OUR ages if we all responded to that.  (That said that was a favourite of mine.) 

I need Bow's first outfit from top to bottom.  LOVED IT.  The constant back and forth between her and Ruby, not so much, though Ruby's long hard peek around the corner had me laughing.  I do think this needed some Fishburne: you know he would have had some sound advice for son about hitting the milestone.  

• Love 2

One thing I noticed -- which I loved -- when Bow was talking to the kids about their presents, they each had an electronic device that mapped so well with the kid:

- Zoey had her phone

- Diane was reading a book on an e-reader

- Jr. had his ubiquitous laptop

What I really loved was that they were all glued to their individual screens but as soon as Rainbow turned off the tv, they all started protesting that they were watching it.
  • Love 12

What I really loved was that they were all glued to their individual screens but as soon as Rainbow turned off the tv, they all started protesting that they were watching it.

When all the kids protested my son just looked up at me and grinned. We've had the exact same interaction.

• Love 3

That was so true, I almost texted my mom. Even when I go home to visit my family, we all always end up on our electronic devices.

Jermain Dupree was surprisingly hilarious. He`s a vegetarian!  

Never change, Charlie. 

• Love 1

Diane doing Rudy gave me the biggest smile.

Hey cute new assistant !!!!!!!!!

Charlie had me dying especially with all his white guy hookups.

It does seem like Ruby has moved in but its Jenifer Lewis so I have no problem with that ay all. I also think its awesome that she's playing Tracie's mother in law and was Toni's mother on Girlfriends.

Yeah, that's why I roll my eyes at the "Dre has to eat Bow's cooking" shade from his parents in this and previous episodes.  If Dre doesn't like it, he can get in the kitchen and cook what he wants. Bow presumably works full-time just like he does.

I don't think Dre has ever complained about Bow's cooking. He seems to like it. But he does pull a d-bag move by not stepping up to defend her when his parents complain.

I liked that the 4 kids were working together in this episode. Even Zoey became invested in getting their dad a birthday present.

I had a few friends who were pregnant and had a baby during a residency. Crazy is right--I don't know how they did it. They were always sleep deprived (but we all were), and were always distracted.  So it's possible but very difficult.

• Love 1

I don't think Dre has ever complained about Bow's cooking. He seems to like it. But he does pull a d-bag move by not stepping up to defend her when his parents complain.

Right, though I don't remember if Dre has complimented Bow on her cooking.  I tend to read it as a passive-aggressive expression of dislike.  Sort of like the "silence is agreement" concept. Mind you, I'm not a bulgur fan, for example. But if my spouse is presumably doing all of the cooking, I either eat it and expect anyone in our house to do so without complaint, or we compromise by switching it up. I don't know if Ruby is visiting, or has supplanted Pops as the live-in grandparent, but you're in their house, so suck it up. After all, no one is forcing Dre's parent(s) to be there. I'm all about respecting my parents and elders, but that's a two-way street.  You don't get to act the fool if I'm the one providing food and shelter. I'm not here for any "I'm old(er) so I've earned the right to disrespect folks at my leisure" shenanigans.      

I don't mind spouses and in-laws being at odds sometimes - that can certainly be funny, if done right.  I've not found it so thus far. If they ever introduce Dre's sister, I hope she's cool with Bow.     

Charlie backing it up on the dance floor was hilarious. 

• Love 4

I miss Laurence Fishburne. I like Jennifer Lewis but I hate what having her character on turns Bow into. So how about less visits from Dre's mom? Unless she lives there now.

Diane having a secret stash of money and Jack knowing she'll probably disappear with it one day was hilarious.

If they ever introduce Dre's sister, I hope she's cool with Bow.

She's supposed to be coming. I hope she's Bow's partner in crime. Maybe because Ruby is so focused on Dre she's shut the daughter out so she bonds with Bow over never being good enough for Ruby.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 3

After the first few seconds of Diane's song I yelled to basically no one "It's Rudy's song!" I loved that call back. And the music overall, as always, was so on point. I need to get that Forever Young remix (Jay-Z?) like right now.

I'm 95% sure that is the Jay-Z and Mr Hudson (whatever happened to him...) version of "Forever Young"

I love when the kids act so well together. Bow looked cute with her hair done differently. I just really like this show.

• Love 1

Bow seems to come from a crazy hippy family. I could see them descending upon her household and 'taking a village' to help her out with the first couple while they were babies and she was still in school. 

• Love 2

Bow seems to come from a crazy hippy family. I could see them descending upon her household and 'taking a village' to help her out with the first couple while they were babies and she was still in school.

She would need outside help because it's unlikely that she and Dre could raise a family with two small children on a resident's salary. Dre would have to work, too. I'm over-thinking this, I know, but I happen to be one of those people who is cursed with a love of  history and I'm always adding up numbers, so this  Rainbow story is pure TV. Here we have an MD or OD who apparently doesn't know anything about birth control because no one in her right mind would have multiple children in this period of her professional life. I would venture a guess that most female doctors have their children "later" in life. All the female doctors I know did (including a sister and a cousin). Both had a couple children quickly in their mid-thirties, as did my own doctor.

So much discussion over a FICTIONAL character, huh?

• Love 2

Here we have an MD or OD who apparently doesn't know anything about birth control because no one in her right mind would have multiple children in this period of her professional life.

Well, accidents do happen. And there is about an 8-year gap between Junior and the twins, so Dre and Bow did learn something about birth control.
  • Love 1

Dre's dad lives with them, so they have help around he house. My friend had a planned baby during her residency and her husband has a full time job too. Its okay, maybe Rainbow graduated highschool at 16 and she was done with all the low pay/long hours portion of her job. She had Zoey at 25 or so. 

Had a few people during residency that had babies or were pregnant, and one had a kid prior to residency and had two during residency. Sleep deprived and flaky she was because it screwed everyone's schedule, but it is possible. Plus Bow is a pretend doctor who assists in surgery and is an anesthesiologist. I gave up long time ago that a show would depict a female physician so accurately, but I really love Bow and the actress.

• Love 1

Here we have an MD or OD who apparently doesn't know anything about birth control because no one in her right mind would have multiple children in this period of her professional life.

My sister had her two kids during residency and I'm reasonably sure she's in her right mind. Yeah, it was hard, and my mom lived with her for a year to help out. 

• Love 2
When Bow reconnects with her college friends on Facebook, she invites them over for an elaborate dinner party and tries to impress them. But the night of the party, Dre ends up learning a lot of new information about Bow's past. Meanwhile, the kids discover that one of Bow's friend's was on "The Real World," so they decide to shoot their own reality show and document the party.

It was corny but I busted out laughing when Dre starting doing the "not the father" dance.

I'm surprised Bow didn't do the (unofficially named) Run of Shame.

Junior's fantasy/scenario at the end?  That was just creepy on all levels imaginable.

• Love 3

After last week's episode that IMO kind of fizzled out after a promising premise, this one really worked -- and that despite an overfamiliar sitcom premise (which is pleased me that Dre acknowledged with his "sophisticated viewers who know where this is going" remarks). I'm once more in awe at how well the kids contribute, and in such varied ways.

• Love 1
(edited)

Such vitriol against Lee Daniel, what ever could have caused that?  Just kidding!  

I liked this episode and even though the fake out vasectomy has been done to death Black-ish always brings a fresh take on recycled premises.

Edited by funkopop
(edited)

My favorite scene was when the men all reacted to the word "period." It never ceases to amaze me how some men can talk about the most disgusting things at work but practically go into little old ladies' faints if menstruation is mentioned. It happens every month, guys. Get over it.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 17

My favorite scene was when the men all reacted to the word "period." It never ceases to amaze me how some men can talk about the most disgusting things at work but practically go into little old ladies' faints if menstruation is mentioned. It happens every month, guys. Get over it.

I loved that scene too. In fact, Black-ish addresses the wokplace gender imbalance/double standards so perfectly. I am recalling another episode (the one where Dre started volunteering at the school) where Dre walked in late to a work meeting because he was taking care of his kids in the morning and received all sorts of accolades and pats on the back for being such a good dad. When a woman did the same thing, she was met with eyerolls and disdain by the same coworkers. So incredibly spot on (unfortunately).

Back to this particular episode, I loved how yet again, Black-ish took a familiar sitcom scenario and made it fresh again. The scene where Bow reveals the "pregnancy" and subsequent stepping in the rat trap was fantastic. The kids were all great in their supporting roles: the twins wanted to still be the babies, Junior wanted a sibling who would adore him, and Zoe was Zoe.

• Love 6

Black-ish addresses the wokplace gender imbalance/double standards so perfectly. I am recalling another episode (the one where Dre started volunteering at the school) where Dre walked in late to a work meeting because he was taking care of his kids in the morning and received all sorts of accolades and pats on the back for being such a good dad. When a woman did the same thing, she was met with eyerolls and disdain by the same coworkers. So incredibly spot on (unfortunately).

I thought that episode was spot-on as well, and got to some subtleties about gender standards in the workplace, because that was the subject, or maybe B-plot IIRC, of the epi. But this one just infuriated me. It was played for laughs. The way those men talked to her was disgusting, demeaning and, yes, actionable. Her calling Gloria Allred was supposed to be a punch line line but the whole thing "( Honey, grab us some coffees") left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 1

Such vitriol against Lee Daniel, what ever could have caused that?  Just kidding!  

I liked this episode and even though the fake out vasectomy has been done to death Black-ish always brings a fresh take on recycled premises.

I thought that was more about slamming Mo'nique. She made a fool of herself a few weeks ago with her claims that she was blacklisted becsuse she refused to play the hollywood game. I love that the Blackish producers weighed in on the issue very clearly.

• Love 1

I thought that episode was spot-on as well, and got to some subtleties about gender standards in the workplace, because that was the subject, or maybe B-plot IIRC, of the epi. But this one just infuriated me. It was played for laughs. The way those men talked to her was disgusting, demeaning and, yes, actionable. Her calling Gloria Allred was supposed to be a punch line line but the whole thing "( Honey, grab us some coffees") left a bad taste in my mouth.

I always view scenes at Dre's company as absurd/over the top. As in, almost everything that happens there would NEVER happen in real life without serious intervention from HR and a flurry of lawsuits. I snickered at the "Grab us some coffee" bit since I work in a male dominated industry and am often the only female at the table. I haven't been asked to fetch coffee but I have been asked to go make copies! We didn't get the delicious payback of seeing the men face consquences for their actions but just the fact there is light being shed on such scenarios makes me OK with the way it all went down.

• Love 3