Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: The First Pitch Insufficiency

A nervous Wolowitz is thrown for a loop when NASA asks him to toss out the first pitch at a Los Angeles Angels baseball game. Meanwhile, Sheldon brags that he and Amy are a better couple than Leonard and Penny, so they set out to prove he's way off base.

I thought the baseball practice stuff was funny, but the rest felt like a dud. Some lines were so forced, as if Penny would not know "bazinga" is Sheldon's joke word. Also, must the engagement be in peril 3 episodes in? I like happy Leonard & Penny a lot more.

• Love 3

That. Was. Awful. NOTHING about that crapfest was good.

It's official BBT has jumped the shark.  

You KNOW it's bad when you have to watch large chunks with the sound off cause you're embarrassed for the characters. 

Seriously? Penny/Lenny already having doubts? Are you kidding me?

• Love 6

YouTube videos of first pitch fails exist:  Mariah Carey, Shawn Johnson, Carl Lewis, Twitter co-founder.  Melissa Rauch (actress who plays Bernadette) has a first pitch that was wild. And she threw in front of the pitching mound, almost in the grass.

• Love 1
Also, must the engagement be in peril 3 episodes in? I like happy Leonard & Penny a lot more.

Penny seemed downright depressed during the double date. I know her professional life is in flux, but a recently and happily engaged woman shouldn't be *that* miserable in the company of her fiancé and two of her best friends. I wonder if, since the show has been renewed for three seasons, TBTB are going to have Penny and Leonard break up again and get back together "for good" only towards the end of the final season.

No funny at all in this episode other than Amy explaining to Sheldon that a double date does not count as two dates.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

I guess they thought having the tag scene at the end being more of the same slow Rover model was funnier than anything else they could do???

If this were a different (Andy of Mayberry) kind of show, they would have had Howard grab the ball, fall back to the pitcher mound, and pitch it perfectly to the cheers of everyone.

A good alternative for this show would have been to have Bernadette do the same, before the final commercial break, and then show this in place of the tag:

YouTube videos of first pitch fails exist:...Melissa Rauch (actress who plays Bernadette) has a first pitch that was wild. And she threw in front of the pitching mound, almost in the grass.

I was hoping a stunt double would play Astronaut Mike Massimino running out to grab the ball for a perfect pitch, followed with him holding up Howard's hand in a victory pose (both having both fists raised) with some cheesy bit into the microphone about teamwork.

Yeah, I know. Wrong show.

But it would have fit with Leonard's earlier taking Penny's hand and saying he wanted to go through the scary stuff with her.

First, quick introduction.  I've been lurking here at Previously since TWOP shut down, and though I mostly lurked there I used the same sign in, as it was easier than trying to think up a new one. 

The double date was ok and I thought Leonard & Penny's doubts were in character, as they've always struggled with why they are a couple.

However, when Howard announced the Mars Rover, before they showed it, I was picturing the Space Shuttle arm, so I was less than impressed with the snail pace crawling of the Mars Rover. I think the Space Shuttle arm would have had the crowd cheering and Howard would have been the hero they were looking for instead of the loser.  But I guess that was expecting to much from TBBT these days.

• Love 3

The double date did show us that both Sheldon and Amy are happy in their relationship, other than Amy wanting it to be a lot more physical.  They enjoy each other's company and are comfortable together.  It kind of answers the question we all ask from time to time.  Why the heck doesn't she dump Sheldon?

• Love 4

I enjoyed the baseball scenes other than the very end.  I don't think Bernadette would have allowed Howard's humiliation to go on and on.  She should have grabbed the ball and thrown a perfect pitch.  I also don't think Howard's friends would have joined in the booing.  They tease in private but support in public.  Shame on you, Raj!

Penny seemed very down and unpleasant and her hair looked flat and lifeless (unlike last week when it was actually styled).  I think they are setting her up for a quarter life crisis.

Sheldon is worse than ever.  Why would anyone put up with 95% jerk and 5% redemption?

• Love 4

The way they were working with Wolowitz was all wrong, to me. Why not let him practice with shorter distances and then build up to the full 60 feet? You don't run a marathon before you ever managed a 5k. 

I too thought the Mars Rover would have an arm or something to throw the ball. It was just painful.

• Love 2

I want more Stuart and Deb-Deb...

Or even just Stuart, he's always been one of my favorite characters.  While I'm at it, I'd prefer confident, artistic Stuart that casually hit on Penny way back when.

• Love 7

I can understand having doubts and being nervous about getting married, I suppose that's normal. BUT Penny/Leonard being nervous because they both think they have nothing in common is a huge problem! If they are worried about why they are together, then getting married isn't the fix. I know I've been wondering why they're together since the beginning, and I have no idea other than she's pretty. Whatever.

As per usual Amy/Sheldon....zzzzzzzz. As a personal pet peeve, I completely hate it when couples try to say they have a "better" relationship than someone else. I smirk when I see that, it's so childish and insecure. Live your stinking life and how about you don't worry about another couple's relationship. I generally get the "protest too much" syndrome when I see those types of things.

I know Sheldon says that that research can quantify it (BTW, anyone figure out if that was a real study?), but Sheldon is a jerky jerk and I refuse to listen to him about anything.

Howard's story line was embarrassing. Not because of the Mars Rover bit, which was lame, but because the entire storyline was predictable and pointless.

Oh BBT...

• Love 3

Penny seemed downright depressed during the double date. I know her professional life is in flux, but a recently and happily engaged woman shouldn't be *that* miserable in the company of her fiancé and two of her best friends.

From the POV of the characters it's been a few months.

I don't think Bernadette would have allowed Howard's humiliation to go on and on.  She should have grabbed the ball and thrown a perfect pitch.

Is MR able to do that? Can Kaley? There's precedent for Penny bailing out the guys for something like this. I think I would have preferred if Howard's slo-mo solution was replaced with something more reasonable; maybe have the mechanical pitch be off-target and flatten someone (off-screen) instead.

• Love 1

I thought the relationship stuff worked in this episode. It made sense to me that Sheldon insisting that Leonard and Penny have a bad relationship would make her insecure. I don't think she and Leonard are having unhealthy doubts, just the normal "is love enough" doubts that many couples have. And when he reached for her hand, I could see that Amy wished she had a relationship like Leonard and Penny. I think them expressing their fears now is a sign that they will work through them. 

as if Penny would not know "bazinga" is Sheldon's joke word.

I assumed Penny was just mocking the word "bazinga." It's in character for her sense of humor. 

• Love 7

The way they were working with Wolowitz was all wrong, to me. Why not let him practice with shorter distances and then build up to the full 60 feet? You don't run a marathon before you ever managed a 5k. 

Also, I think it's important to practice on an elevated position, like you'll be doing on a mound.

Boring ep. 

Shame on you, Raj!

I thought this was perfectly in character for Raj.  This is the guy, after all, who was gloating in anticipation of Bernadette turning down Howard's proposal of marriage in front of everyone.  Sheldon on the other hand, no, not that he's ever supportive, but booing?  I didn't buy that.

• Love 1

I thought Sheldon was booing just to go along with the crowd. Also, he didn't even want to stay the whole game so maybe he was getting his irritation out that way.

I find, the more they show Leonard and Penny absolutely miserable with each other, to be so uncomfortable to watch. This is a sitcom, it's supposed to be funny, not make me sad. Also, how many times can they doubt each other? Let's move on, show.

I was amused when Leonard lamented the poor waiter who served the Cornish game hen because he knew exactly what transpired on Sheldon and Amy's date.

Edited by mojoween

If the direction they're going with Leonard and Penny is that they acknowledge their differences but then decide it really doesn't matter I can accept that.  It's understandable that Penny would worry that she's not in Leonard's league in the smarts department and Leonard should be smart enough to realize that if the only thing he values in Penny is her looks then he needs to grow up.  If they can move beyond that and realize that despite their differences they are "meant to be" then great.  If we're going to have 3 years of Ross and Rachel, been there, done that.  Given that the writers have shamelessly lifted from Friends before though I worry that this is where they're heading.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2

Wow, the cast was really phoning it in there. Not that the writing gave them much to work with. Getting everyone involved with the first pitch (Like with Sheldon and his fear of public speaking) would have made for a more interesting, tighter episode than bantering between that story and more Ross/Rachel, err... Leonard/Penny drama.

It might be the first time we have seen Bernie in pants.  I am so so so tired of her floral dresses and short sweaters.  Ugh.  What is it - her uniform?

I did like how the relationship agreement was working for S & A - knowing what to expect and what not to expect.  Verses L & P not even communicating very well.

• Love 1

They all have uniforms- Sheldon wears a long-sleeved t-shirt under a short-sleeved one, Howard wears skinny jeans and a big belt buckle, Leonard wears a hoodie under a jacket, Raj wears a vest under a wind breaker.  Amy wears a skirt, blouse, and frumpy cardigan, and Bernadette wears the floral dress, short sweater ( the same one in every colour imaginable),and opaque tights.  Only Penny seems to have a more varied look, but she did have her waitress clothes.

They do switch it up for dressy occasions, but it is pretty predictable.

Was this the first time we've ever seen Bernadette in pants? (in the gym)

She was wearing a similar outfit in the episode where she found out about Howard's sexual past.

Pretty much every character on this show has a particular style and Bernie is no different.  Sheldon has his t-shirts.  Howard has his dickies, skinny jeans, and fanciful belt buckles.  Amy has her long skirt and cardigan.

It is a real study. But there are numerous tests in relationships out there.

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1990-06431-001

Here is the gist of the test (without enough detail to get anyone in trouble for violating copyright):

DURING THE PAST WEEK, what is the average amount of time, per day, that you spent alone with X

...For each of the activities listed, please check all of those that you have engaged in alone with X in the past week....

The following questions concern the amount of influence X has on your thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Using the 7-point scale below, please indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree by writing the appropriate number in the space corresponding to each item....

Now we would like you to tell us how much X affects your future plans and goals. Using the 7-point scale below...

• Love 1

Amy's, "You know what? I'm gonna let you count this as two dates. They are a LOT of work." was the best line of the episode.

That was so great! I think Mayim is the best thing about the show these days. Her delivery is amazing.

The double date did show us that both Sheldon and Amy are happy in their relationship, other than Amy wanting it to be a lot more physical.  They enjoy each other's company and are comfortable together.  It kind of answers the question we all ask from time to time.  Why the heck doesn't she dump Sheldon?

I did like this and liked that his answer was that they enjoy spending time together. That was sweet and something that a lot of couples would say or that people would want in a partner.

In terms of Penny and Leonard, I'm just wondering why the writers think that writing this way makes them a compelling couple? Do they seriously think they can write their relationship like this and have people root for them? I guess they think it's "funny", but honestly, I think they're one of the worst written couples I've ever seen on TV. Obviously they're going to end up together, but I don't think they should. It's supposed to be hilarious when Penny says Leonard's infatuation with her is supposed to be the foundation for their relationship, but I find that gross.

It seems like there's a lot of repetition with the Big Bang episodes lately, like the writers are running out of ideas. Elements of last week's episodes and this week's seemed to be covered before, like the Howard/Sheldon feud, Howard having to prove his intelligence, the guys being bad at sports, Penny/Leonard issues, etc. It's fine for there to recurring themes on the show, but they're not being done in an especially interesting way. The tag last week where the guys answer physics questions just reminded me of the physics bowl episode and how awesome this show used to be. I can see how this would appeal to new viewers who haven't seen the older episodes, though. It would seem more original to them.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

Including the theme song, this episode was 19:11 minutes long. Clearly CBS is packing its cash cow full of ads and skimping on the actual show. Almost nothing was funny in this episode, nothing was fleshed out.

Why not give Howard a win? Why is humiliation funnier than actual cleverness?

The Shamy relationship is just so painful and awkward that only Mayim's delivery saves it and even that is wearing thin.

Clearly repeated Emmy wins have proven that The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family don't have to do anything fresh, hilarious or witty (MF's premiere was atrocious last week) to still remain popular.

• Love 5

"maybe have the mechanical pitch be off-target and flatten someone (off-screen) instead."

I thought that's what they were going to do - have it lay out the catcher. And then if the Angels don't win the World Series, a future episode could have a subplot of how the city of Los Angeles blames Howard for taking out their star catcher right before the playoffs.

The rover with no arm was just painful in execution.

Edited by kris4n6
  • Love 1

It's understandable that Penny would worry that she's not in Leonard's league in the smarts department and Leonard should be smart enough to realize that if the only thing he values in Penny is her looks then he needs to grow up.  If they can move beyond that and realize that despite their differences they are "meant to be" then great.

Penny has good reason to worry; studies have shown that the likelihood of a couple breaking up goes way up when the difference in IQ's is too high. The writers may have to decide just how smart they are. Is Leonard a genius or not? Is Penny smart but uneducated, or a dim bulb? The episodes have been all over the place (especially with Penny).

• Love 1

Dear Howard: No one cares if you can't pitch. Even if they boo you, put you up on YouTube, you still will have had the rare experience of throwing out the ball at a pro-ball game. Let's face it Howard, no one is expecting you to be anything other than lousy so there's no pressure to be good. Enjoy the experience. Yours Truly, a disappointed fan who would have thought a friend or spouse would have said this to you.  

• Love 2

Wow. We love this show, but wow. We only laughed at Howard's antics and adjusting his junk. Raj, who is one of our fav characters along with Amy and Howard, was almost non-existent. Amy had the only funny line for me. "They are a lot of work." And that was mildly a chuckle. I smiled at "Bazooka" but that was about it for us. And this is our favorite sitcom, dammit. WTH?

• Love 1

I liked the "bazooka" line. I think Penny was being sarcastic. I think she knows all too well that the word is "bazinga".

I thought this episode was better than last week but still not very good. My favorite line was "it's better than hot, it's binding" MB's delivery gave me one of the few laughs of the episode.

Also, when Sheldon was claiming that he and Amy had the better relationship, the childish part of me wanted Leonard to throw their lack of almost any physical intimacy in Sheldon's face just to shut him up. Not that anything would shut Sheldon up plus it would have hurt Amy, but if I were Leonard, self-centered Sheldon claiming to have any clue about what makes a good relationship would have bugged me enough to go there.

• Love 3
The double date did show us that both Sheldon and Amy are happy in their relationship, other than Amy wanting it to be a lot more physical.

That's a pretty big "other than" IMO.   That scoring system that gave them an 8 must not include any score for mutual sexual attraction.

I don't see how the writers can resolve Sheldon and Amy in any believable way.

• Love 2

Also, when Sheldon was claiming that he and Amy had the better relationship, the childish part of me wanted Leonard to throw their lack of almost any physical intimacy in Sheldon's face just to shut him up.

Nah, Sheldon would have just put that in the plus column - more proof that his and Amy's relationship is the better one.

I tried to imagine if the episode would have been better or worse if the Rover had worked, and I think it would have been better.

I think the Rover would have been funnier if it went fast, but suddenly stopped short and the ball rolled the rest of the way, like Howard's too-short practice pitches did.

• Love 5

Including the theme song, this episode was 19:11 minutes long. Clearly CBS is packing its cash cow full of ads and skimping on the actual show. Almost nothing was funny in this episode, nothing was fleshed out.

Why not give Howard a win? Why is humiliation funnier than actual cleverness?

The Shamy relationship is just so painful and awkward that only Mayim's delivery saves it and even that is wearing thin.

Clearly repeated Emmy wins have proven that The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family don't have to do anything fresh, hilarious or witty (MF's premiere was atrocious last week) to still remain popular.

I couldn't understand that, either. I was actually expecting Bernadette to pitch it for him, somehow. But Howard is WAY too smart to have the rover slowly carry the ball--the arm would have been the way to go. Let him have a win. He earned one.

I think that's the problem the show keeps having--it's afraid to let the characters change too much, and so it won't give them earned wins when they have them. It's funny to occasionally undercut a win, but a happy medium is necessary. Howard's astronaut career struck just the right balance. Howard and Bernadette's marriage, getting Stuart as Howard's mother's nurse and I hope eventual stepfather also strikes the right balance.

Leonard and Penny are an example of an earned win. Instead of taking it away from them, it's time to have them examine how they can keep it this time.

• Love 2

That's a pretty big "other than" IMO.   That scoring system that gave them an 8 must not include any score for mutual sexual attraction.

Exactly. I mean I get Sheldon being smug about scoring an 8 on that quiz because he's smug about everything. But I didn't buy Amy sitting there and agreeing with him and acting that way to Leonard and Penny. I refuse to believe Amy doesn't know she's in a dead end relationship. She isn't getting much of anything that she actually wants in a relationship, so it's ridiculous to me that she'd sit there and try to act like her relationship is superior to anyone's.

I actually liked the Leonard/Penny stuff. I like them better together than apart, so I'm hoping we just leave things as they are and not put the audience through yet another break-up and reunion.

• Love 2

I dunno, Amy has had her chances to have relationships with other men and has always chosen Sheldon.  For whatever reasons she wants him and she's willing to accept what he is able to give her.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that, it's her choice to make.

• Love 3