Type keyword(s) to search

Elementary in the Media

I am very sorry to hear this. I may not have loved the way the Elementary writers wrote Shinwell, but I thought Nelson Ellis was a talented actor and seemed like a good man. 39 is way too young.

• Love 2

Wow, this is sad.  While I wasn't a huge fan of Shinwell, Nelsan Ellis was extremely talented (easily one of the best things about True Blood), and I was hoping that he would land a gig elsewhere.  Instead, he dies at only 39?  So sad.  I think he easily had a lot more great performances in him.

Really, I'm just in shock right now.

• Love 6

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to read and participate in every forum for every show I watch, but I do watch Elementary and read this forum from time to time.  I wasn't a major fan of Shinwell's story---thought it took too long to get to where they eventually did---but I liked this actor and what he did with the material.  This was the first time I had seen any of Nelsan's work.  I wasn't familiar with him before.

Thirty-nine is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too young.  The article mentions heart failure.  He must have had an underlying condition of some kind.  Thirty-nine year olds don't regularly deal with heart failure.  Condolences to his loved ones.

• Love 3

I can't help wondering if the low energy Ellis displayed as Shinwell was due to heart failure. 
Shortly before I was diagnosed with what would have been a fatal illness, I grew very weak. It's very sad to think he may have died because he didn't see a doctor.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, GaT said:

wonder if that's why they killed him off on the show, because he was sick?

I initially thought that too, but when you consider the big 2-part season finale, which was largely motivated by Watson's desire for justice, it seems less likely. Either Shinwell was always planned as one season or they decided the character wouldn't work long-term and decided during production to wrap up the story. The latter could be the case, given the dropped plot of Sherlock training Shinwell.

I was shocked to see this today. I liked the actor a lot, especially as Lafayette on True Blood, and gave Shinwell greater latitude than I probably would because of that. I remember reading an interview with Ellis shortly after True Blood's first season, and he came off as so intelligent and creative and very UN-Lafayette! I was very impressed at the time and thought he must be a very good actor. He mentioned all the research he had done to ensure that Lafayette felt authentic because he admitted that he was not a flamboyant gay man but wanted to do the part right. This is a real shame.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3

A Blind Item was posted on TV Line about a show ready to kill a favorite character in the season premiere. A link within the article has a gallery of all possible shows that apply, and one of them is Elementary.

I can't see them killing Sherlock or Watson, so IF it is this show, all I can figure is maybe Aidan Quinn may be out of a job! Hope not.

That sounds like a cheesy stunt.  Elementary sometimes has characters/stories that don't completely work ( Watson's half-sister, Shinwell, etc.) but it seems a little too high quality to do stunts like that.

12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

A Blind Item was posted on TV Line about a show ready to kill a favorite character in the season premiere.

"Blind items" are like psychics -- they'll say something vague or something that occurs all the time, and when it happens, they'll say "See!!!!".  I don't give them a spot of credence -- just like psychics.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I can't see them killing Sherlock or Watson, so IF it is this show, all I can figure is maybe Aidan Quinn may be out of a job! Hope not.

I certainly can...with either character.  There is already the assumption that this will be Elementary's last season.  Sherlock, in particular, is not the "happily ever after" type.  If it is Elementary and it's Watson, I can see the season being about Sherlock investigating and avenging her death.  She was already threatened in the season finale.  If it's Sherlock, I can see him succumbing to brain cancer.  The last season will be a flashback of their last cases together.  Watson's a doctor, so she could care for him medically, as sort of a nod to the support she gave him as a sober companion when the series started.  Upon his death, it will be revealed that he has now gained ownership of the brownstone, and Sherlock wills the property to Joan.

ETA: Brain cancer would also be a tragic end for Sherlock, given that his brain/mind is something that he holds very dear.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

A Blind Item was posted on TV Line about a show ready to kill a favorite character in the season premiere.

"Blind items" are like psychics -- they'll say something vague or something that occurs all the time, and when it happens, they'll say "See!!!!".  I don't give them a spot of credence -- just like psychics.

That's usually true for celebrity gossip sites like Blind Gossip and Crazy Days and Nights, but spoilers and BIs from Michael Ausiello are usually true since TVLine is a legitimate outlet.

I hope it's not Elementary, but it jibes with the final season assumptions since I believe most full-season shows are already filming but a show with a shorter episode order and likely midseason start would still be in the TPTB script approval stage like the BI mentions. Gregson is a fan fave and series original, the time jump could easily be linked to Sherlock's brain/memory troubles and there's no shortage of potential suspects: Moriarty, Morland ("I'm just a cop...I got to wonder if he and Joan are safe...If anything happens to them, the next time you see me, I won't be a cop."), "Cassie" (the faux kidnap victim from 'Miss Taken' [4x07]), etc. There's also the slow burn of Ann Vescey, Gregson's promotion offer and how it may relate to Det. Cortes and her vigilante justice.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

So many shows are dumping cast (Quantico, OUAT, Hawaii 5-0), it's far more likely to be one of those.

None of those. TV Line lists the nine candidates (from a linked gallery of shows in the article) as:

• The Exorcist

• The Blacklist

• Supergirl

• Blindspot

• Scorpion

• Designated Survivor

• NCIS

• Scandal

• Elementary

Designated Survivor makes the most sense.  Virginia Madsen is out as Sen. Van Houtten and they need a new crises to start the season, so her being killed works.

It could be any of the other as a desperate ratings ploy (which is what these killings are now.  "No, you're not being 'edgy'; you're being trite.")

13 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Designated Survivor makes the most sense.  Virginia Madsen is out as Sen. Van Houtten and they need a new crises to start the season, so her being killed works.

It could be any of the other as a desperate ratings ploy (which is what these killings are now.  "No, you're not being 'edgy'; you're being trite.")

VM has already stated in an interview that she won't be coming back. She was also a recurring guest star, not a series regular.

If you read the whole thing (blind item), you'd see that it states that the character will be killed in the season premiere and then it will be a "two months ago" jump back, with several (all) of the next episodes leading up to that season premiere killing. In other words, the person killed will still be in the show for a while before being gone for good. Designated Survivor (as well as the non-candidates Quantico, OUAT & H50) have already eliminated their people ("won't be back" is NOT "will be gone sometime during the coming season"). So it would have to be a show where you don't know that a person "won't be back". "It's their last season" maybe, but not "won't be back". 

(edited)
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

If you read the whole thing (blind item), you'd see that it states that the character will be killed in the season premiere and then it will be a "two months ago" jump back, with several (all) of the next episodes leading up to that season premiere killing. In other words, the person killed will still be in the show for a while before being gone for good. Designated Survivor (as well as the non-candidates Quantico, OUAT & H50) have already eliminated their people ("won't be back" is NOT "will be gone sometime during the coming season"). So it would have to be a show where you don't know that a person "won't be back". "It's their last season" maybe, but not "won't be back". 

I haven't seen much of Scandal, but from what I have seen, this seems like a very Scandal-ish thing to do, more so than for any other show on the list (at least of the ones I've watched) ... emphatically including Elementary.

But you never know what the showrunners or their writing staffs on any series might do in the never-ending quest to prop up ratings or be seen as edgy -- or just to get maximum mileage out of an actor's as-yet unpublicized plan to leave a series (as has already happened more than once on NCIS) -- so I can't really rule out any of these shows.

Whichever it is, though, it'll probably suck, as the Kill a Main Character trope almost never fits well into a show's overall plot arc in practice unless it's been planned long in advance. (Exception: If this is Elementary's last season, as we suspect, since it's a short order of episodes, it might work if it's built up into a whole series-ending Holmes' Ultimate/Final Case arc. Think Season 5 of Person of Interest.)

Edited by wilnil

I can see Sherlock "dying' in the opener with Watson,Gregson and the black guy looking down off a skyskraper, then flash backward several months.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Sherlock.  That wasn't a good ending to last season, him having memory issues and making a mystery trip to a medical type place at the end.

10 hours ago, Folk said:

I can see Sherlock "dying' in the opener with Watson, Gregson and the black guy Bell looking down off a skyscraper, then flash backward several months.

FIFY

• Love 12
(edited)
On 7/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, Folk said:

I can see Sherlock "dying' in the opener with Watson,Gregson and the black guy looking down off a skyskraper, then flash backward several months.

In "The Adventure of the Final Problem" Canon Doyle killed Sherlock & Moriarty by having them fall off a cliff, so I can see this being the Elementary version of that.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Okay I am going to have to rewatch the finale because I could have sworn I saw it but I have absolutely no recollection of the plot point mentioned in the article.

It was in the last 5-10 min of the episode.

Somehow I think killing off a main character is much more a thing NCIS would do than Elementary, especially since Elementary only has four main characters and NCIS replaced Michael Weatherly with multiple new actors.

Anyway I hope it's not Elementary, I don't want to see the show end with a main character's death.

Very sad also about Nelsan Ellis, he was so young.  I wonder if they regret killing off the character now that he has died.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2017 at 3:26 PM, roseha said:

Very sad also about Nelsan Ellis, he was so young.  I wonder if they regret killing off the character now that he has died.

Television shows aren't a version of voodoo witchcraft where if a character dies, the actor also dies (although that'd possibly make for a decent movie/episode of Supernatural).  They were probably sad that he died, but it's pretty clear he'd signed on as a "regular" for one season, just like John Noble did in the previous season.  It's not like they fired him and he committed suicide or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

When does the new season start?

I couldn't find any info on a date or even what day it will be on, but the season will be 13 episodes. I'd rather have a short season with tighter storylines than a full season that drags in the middle.

On October 26, 2017 at 0:41 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

When does the new season start?

At some point I read a speculation that it was starting either Sunday, January 7, or Thursday, January 11, but I don't recall the source (upthread??) and don't see any current mentions of those dates.

Edited by shapeshifter
On 7/15/2017 at 9:40 PM, WendyCR72 said:

None of those. TV Line lists the nine candidates (from a linked gallery of shows in the article) as:

• The Exorcist

• The Blacklist

• Supergirl

• Blindspot

• Scorpion

• Designated Survivor

• NCIS

• Scandal

• Elementary

Did any of these start with a character death, or is Elementary still in the running?

46 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

S.W.A.T. Is in the Thursday 10pm time slot now. Any idea of how that's doing in the ratings

The first episode of SWAT hasn't even aired yet. Nov 2 is the first episode

59 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Did any of these start with a character death, or is Elementary still in the running?

The Blacklist's season premiere ended with a flashforward to a main character's apparent death, so it was probably the one.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Wisdom of the Crowd's demise is a win for Elementary: this season goes from 13 to 21 episodes!  (Dear show I need more Clyde!)

I never could stand Piven, so this is awesome news.

Definitely need more Clyde!

• Love 4