Type keyword(s) to search

Elementary in the Media

I saw this earlier today and am still a bit steamed about the attitude:

(from IMDb, on CBS shows)

On the Bubble: Long(er)shots:

"Elementary." OK, let's just admit the whole introduction of junior detective Kitty into season three was a terrible, terrible misfire. A worse sin, however, is losing the audience: "Elementary" is down by nearly 25 percent in the 18-49 demographic, and almost 15 percent in total viewers. Keen observation tells us that the future of Holmes and Watson on CBS looks grim indeed.

Does anyone know if the numbers are actually that dire?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/14/cbs-predictions-blue-bloods-is-likely-to-be-renewed/386041/

This says it's certain to be renewed, despite the lower ratings. It even explains why (scroll down to see that info). Gorman is almost never wrong (he misses about one or two shows per season-- at most-- and sometimes fewer), and he explains how he comes up with his predictions (he actually has a method other than gut feeling, based on watching actual data over time). I never pay any attention to other predictions, because they all seem to be based more on emotion than fact, and don't have the kind of track record of the "cancellation bear" column.

I don't really know why the ratings are down, but I'm not sure if I'd blame it on Kitty. Do most shows have a ratings dip in the third year, maybe? Or perhaps the competition was better this time? I don't know. I do think the lack of Watson-Holmes dynamic was problematic, but it would have been even worse without Kitty being there to give at least something more than the COTW to focus on.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Actually, looking at the ratings, I wonder if a strong first half of S3 may have brought some viewers back (there's a very handy compilation site here btw). The fact that the numbers were super low at the beginning of the season makes me wonder, based on my own experiences, if a lot of people were really dissatisfied with the end of S2 and chose not to come back for S3, but then strong word of mouth enticed some people to pick the show up again. I mean...it premiered really low, I don't think a whole bunch of people tuned out just because they heard about Kitty, you know? (Also: the lead-in numbers were noticeably much weaker for the first few episodes, and wasn't there all sorts of scheduling wonkiness with Thursday night football?)

I definitely think Elementary gets at least one more season for syndication purposes (whether they get more reeeeeeally depends on next season's ratings, if it's on part with this season I think they don't), but CBS may well move it to Sunday nights. Oddly, it might be one of the shows that is most compatible with TGW/MS.

• Love 2

Possible ratings influences:

Elementary was on opposite How to Get Away With Murder last fall, which arguably would attract a similar audience for live viewing on network TV.

Elementary didn't start until October 30, at which point HTGAWM was airing episode 6.

HTGAWM is very much a serialized drama, so hooked viewers might want to watch it live.

This was the same time Kitty was introduced, which initially seemed to upset some viewers (based on online comments), I think because they were unsure how she would effect the Holmes/Watson dynamic. But I really don't know if it would have caused any viewers to change channels.

• Love 1

This season was my first watching the show - previously I had been working at night and had seen almost no prime time shows for a long time - and I actually tuned in to the first episode based on the previews and then tuned out because Watson seemed so angry at Holmes and it didn't have the sense of partnership I had hoped to see.  Now of course they have gradually come back to that.  I think as long as they keep that focus on the main characters the show should have a strong following, granted the case is not always exciting but it's often about an intellectually challenging subject so at least I feel that part of it will keep my interest while I wait for the best scenes among the regular cast,  which is a long way of saying I think it will have enough of an audience to get renewed.

• Love 1

Anyone else catch the category on Jeopardy! today that was all JLM and LL reading clues about Sherlock Holmes?  Gettable if you know Holmes and haven't seen the show, but IMO very fun if you love the show.

ETA:  JINX! Writing Wrongs!

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yay!  Show has been picked up for another season!

Hurray!! I was getting worried.  Just looked at the article and I see one of my other favourites, POI, has been renewed also.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Great, as I mentioned elsewhere, I am a little worried this week's season finale may be a cliff hanger, and I would have hated it if they had ended the show that way!

• Love 1

I am not familiar with John Noble's work.  I'm surprised Sherlock's father is going to be a regular - do we really need another regular?

I haven't seen much of John Noble's stuff.  I remember him most as the host/narrator of Dark Matters.  He certainly had a tremendous screen presence in that series, and was even a bit spooky. I'm rather looking forward to seeing him as Papa Holmes.  

I am not familiar with John Noble's work.  I'm surprised Sherlock's father is going to be a regular - do we really need another regular?

I love that this show has a very small regular cast, but having Noble as a regular will be great. They say series regular, but he may only be a regular for S4 and then guest starring later on. I think the writers have a deft touch with new characters on the show as they know the central relationship is really Joan/Sherlock with the periphery Gregson and Bell plus Irregulars. I'm excited.

• Love 2

Of course now I see Daddy Holmes like AltWalter from Fringe. 

And it's for that reason that I'm not quite as excited for this as I probably should be. Still, Noble's skills and presence are vast, so I do think things will likely work out just fine in the end. I mean it's not like TPTB are going to do something stupid like have him sleep with Joan.

Who called it? Someone here called it! I remember someone here called it! John Noble as Sherlock's father!!! And he's a regular. Man, I have a bit of hesitancy due to another show, but I think this could be good. I can see JLM and JN working well together (sighs at what could have been...)

• Love 1

I'm not thrilled about John Noble. He tends to chew all available scenery whenever he is on camera. He helped  ruin the last show he was on so I am skeptical.

• Love 2

Who called it? Someone here called it! I remember someone here called it! John Noble as Sherlock's father!!! And he's a regular. Man, I have a bit of hesitancy due to another show, but I think this could be good. I can see JLM and JN working well together (sighs at what could have been...)

tarasme suggested it in the season finale.

If you're talking Sleepy Hollow, I put the dreadful S2 down to the writers, showrunner, various PTB.  They had John Noble under contract and wanted to use him like a new toy - unfortunately, they gave him crap writing and scenes.  The very best actors in the world could not have made S2 work.

• Love 3

John Fucking Noble?

Wow.

This show has occasionally done some questionable things, but this one has a decent chance of working, IMO.  Although yeah, as people have pointed out even Noble isn't immune to the consequences of bad writing (and this show occasionally delves into some pretty bad writing).  So yeah, it COULD go terribly wrong.  But if it works, if the writing doesn't again totally fuck us, it could be great.

(edited)

I think John Noble is overrated. It is disappointing that they didn't cast a well-known British actor to play a member of the British establishment.

Edited by orza
  • Love 1

I would have liked a British actor too, but I think the show wanted a regular (or semi-regular) actor. They've not had good luck with their more famous guest stars schedules and they have a TV network budget. I don't know a big list of veteran British actors willing to commit time to an NYC based show for this show's budget. Patrick Stewart lives in the area, but he's probably too expensive.

I would have liked a British actor too, but I think the show wanted a regular (or semi-regular) actor. They've not had good luck with their more famous guest stars schedules and they have a TV network budget. I don't know a big list of veteran British actors willing to commit time to an NYC based show for this show's budget. Patrick Stewart lives in the area, but he's probably too expensive.

The funny thing about that notion is that Noble isn't American either.  Him being in NYC is just as much of a theoretical accommodation.  Not that it isn't one he's willing to do, but case by case you'd think finding a British actor willing to do so wouldn't be any more difficult than an Australian one.  Ergo, it likely just comes down to an individual.  Someone wanted him, he was willing, and able.  

Ergo, it likely just comes down to an individual.  Someone wanted him, he was willing, and able.  

Of course. I'm just highlighting the difference compared to the British actors we threw around in the finale threads. Noble has been in a number of American TV shows the last couple of years as a recurring guest start or semi-regular so he doesn't mind it seems, most of the other veteran British actors are largely still UK based with a couple of in LA. Maybe the show asked a couple Brit veteran actors, but they declined for whatever reason.

tarasme suggested it in the season finale.

If you're talking Sleepy Hollow, I put the dreadful S2 down to the writers, showrunner, various PTB.  They had John Noble under contract and wanted to use him like a new toy - unfortunately, they gave him crap writing and scenes.  The very best actors in the world could not have made S2 work.

Good one, tarasme!

Yeah DeLurker, I'm talking about Sleepy Hollow. Le sigh. It almost feels like a (inadvertent, mind you) middle finger to SH in a way - they screwed up and couldn't make him work, so another show got the chance to snatch him up as a regular. And Elementary won't screw it up. Strange too, because there is a really strong parallel between the two leads on both show (quirky tall British dude, tiny WOC, strong bond/relationship that's not romantic between the leads, strange murders to solve, etc) I'll be interested to see how well he does. Noble did a guest role on Forever's final episode, and honestly, it was pretty much the same guy.

I just have to try to get over the tainted shadow that fell over JN from SH season 2 and hope he does well. I think he well.

Noble was horribly miscast on Sleepy Hollow and his character was awful, imho. Can't blame him for this.

I agree and see comments above. Never watched Fringe but many have said he's a fantastic actor, so again, hope to see him lose himself in the role. JLM and LL bouncing off JN has fantastic potential.

I'm actually rewatching Fringe (although season 4 has made me pause, it's as bad as I remember), and he was absolutely amazing on it. He deserved all the awards for Walter Bishop.

• Love 1

Came here to post the sad news about Roger Rees. I want to thank Elementary for introducing me to this wonderful actor. For a brief appearance, he made a big impact. Not all guest stars are as fondly remembered.

• Love 3

Lucy is a new mother. She welcomed the arrival of her son (born via surrogacy).

The show will be back in November which should give her a little bit more time to enjoy her first days of being a mom. :)

• Love 4

Sorry about the ABOVE double posts. Gremlins.

I think that Charles Dance would have smoothly performed that aloof disdain of which Sherlock oft speaks. However, in my opinion, John Noble possesses greater character range.

• Love 1

I just found out that John Noble is joining the cast (Yes, I just crawled out from under a rock. Don't judge ;-)). Having him on a show that I actually like feels like an embarrassment of riches. So excited!

• Love 2