Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E24: Christine & David's Wedding Special (Part 2)

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Quof said:

The Browns don't speak proper English either (neither vocabulary nor grammar, without even getting into issues of elocution).  They all like to throw around big words and idioms  incorrectly. 

Like Kootie with his "PINK elephant in the room."  For a while, his word of the day was paradigm.  He tries to sound smarter than he is.

• Like 9
  • LOL 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, ezzy4 said:

And the dress kinda symbolized the feel of the entire event.  Nothing was perfect...and yet...everything was as they wanted it...so...perfect.

It certainly wasn't polish, but it was perfect.

This is a nice take. 

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Like 10

Was anyone else weirded out to learn that David's daughter had scoped out Christine as a potential wife for her Dad before they had even met? She was so excited to find out that Christine had let Kody because that meant that now her Dad could try to date her. And it seemed like she had hinted that she thought Christine was a great potential match for her Dad even before Christine had left Kody. It's just got to be weird going into a first date with someone who has already watched a huge chunk of your life on TV and already knows a lot about you.

• Like 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Her dress was made like my last MOB dress where the actual lining ends just above the bust line leaving the top of the bodice and sleeves open lace.

David's mom's? It wasn't just that. There was white fabric under some of the lace -- up above the bust. You can see it under her short sleeves too (it's shorter than the sleeves of the dress). You can also see it peek through the back of her dress when she's dancing with David.

The pictures don't quite show it, but it's visible on the TV. It's white-fabric white, rather than old white lady-skin white. You can see the contrast between her skin and the under fabric.

sisterwivesdavidsmomdress1.thumb.jpeg.681a0d87181b694a97940277e2aa427f.jpeg

sisterwivesdavidsmomdress2.thumb.jpeg.a9f65febb23afcefe33949364f92a7ac.jpeg

Edited by General Days
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
51 minutes ago, JoannKBC said:

Was anyone else weirded out to learn that David's daughter had scoped out Christine as a potential wife for her Dad before they had even met? She was so excited to find out that Christine had let Kody because that meant that now her Dad could try to date her. And it seemed like she had hinted that she thought Christine was a great potential match for her Dad even before Christine had left Kody. It's just got to be weird going into a first date with someone who has already watched a huge chunk of your life on TV and already knows a lot about you.

Yes.  I’m totally with you on this.  

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, General Days said:

The pictures don't quite show it, but it's visible on the TV. It's white-fabric white, rather than old white lady-skin white. You can see the contrast between her skin and the under fabric.

In the stills I can see it.  The dress is indeed made like mine was, but I didn't wear a tee shirt under mine.  I wonder why they don't make the garments in both nude and white?  I still like the dress.  

• Like 6
(edited)

I thought Christine looked lovely. She went for the ethereal look, and she looked how everyone should look on their wedding day, just beaming with happiness. 

Kody said he was concerned for how David would treat his kids. Yeah, whatever,  Kody. Kody probably cant even name his and Christine's children. 

Christine's daughters are gorgeous. I have heard only chatter about Paedon, but at the wedding, he was handsome and gentlemanly walking her down the aisle to her dad. Hard to believe Paedon's dad is such a Neanderthal. 

Janelle, Caleb and Janelle’s children being so supportive is just wonderful. I am married (24 years with Mr. Knight  !) and have been to millions of weddings, but never have I seen so many people saying how much the bride deserves this, how hard her life was before, how she is now free, etc. Kody seems like he has emotionally injured everyone outside Robyn's family.

Christine had me in her corner until the f dancing in front of the crowd. Really. Save it for your honeymoon. And I dont what the male friend dance was all about. 

I also wonder about Janelle talking about Christine and David showing open affection. That's fine but I wonder if Christine will have issues with intimacy and fears of abandonment, and that kind of thing, because of the abuse by Kody. I stand my use of the word "abuse" as I see no other way to describe his treatment of her. Downright cruel.

If TLC doesn't take advantage of this goldmine spinoff of Janelle and Christine, with occasional special guest star Meri, they are nuts !

Edited by Chris Knight
  • Like 16
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I like how Gabe, I think it was, said something about how happy Christine was with David, no reflection or some such thing on his Dad. But this party. was so much fun with the real Brown family all together. Hmmm, interesting...

My take was, the real Brown Family was exactly who was at the party. Christine, Janelle, and all the kids. I don't see Meri as being a huge part of most of the kids lives when they were young kids like Christine and Janelle were, and Kody, not so much either. 

10 hours ago, BnJJ said:

I did not catch a glimpse of Leon at the wedding.  Saw Them on the boat but not at the actual wedding.  Don't recall seeing Garrison at the wedding, either.  I didn't pause on what looked to be an entire family photo to see if I could spot them so maybe they were there.

Still wonder why Gwen wasn't there.  School commitments sound like a lame reason to me, but that's just me.

It might be mean of me but I would not feel bad for Kody at all if seeing Caleb in these celebrations, or anything else related to Christine, is like a knife to the kidneys to him.  

I fast forwarded through parts and didn't see this.  Can you please tell me when she mentioned the kids?  Like, during what part of the day?  Thanks!

I saw Leon in the group pics scenes and dancing. 

7 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I agree. I think it would be awkward for Leon as well, knowing that among the OG's, their Mom isn't included.

Yeah, but Leon no doubt knows Mari and Christine don't have the closest relationship and probably haven't spoken in more than passing in a couple of years. 

• Like 9
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

In the stills I can see it.  The dress is indeed made like mine was, but I didn't wear a tee shirt under mine.  I wonder why they don't make the garments in both nude and white?  I still like the dress.  

Oh, yeah. I loved that dress on David's mom. Her whole look was elegant. That's why I felt bad about the garment. Can't you see it peeking out of the keyhole opening in the back of her dress? I know the picture quality is bad. I took it too close to the TV, but that's not skin. It's white fabric.

EDIT:

For some reason my picture isn't showing up, but I'm getting this error message when I try to add it in:

You have used all of the attachment space you are allowed per post. Manage Attachments to free up space

I'm adding the picture in a new post and hoping it merges with the prior post.

sisterwivesdavidsmomdress2.thumb.jpeg.af180523d3a4af5d3bcff75b7d70acea.jpeg

Edited by General Days
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

This was a real feel good episode and I am so glad that Christine is finally getting her fairy tale ending.  I loved the message from Annie.  Christine has a very upbeat, positive and fun personality that we have got to know over the years and it was so special that her mom shared that heartfelt message.  I wish the bride, groom, and their huge family happiness and joy!

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Quof said:

Can I say " 'Your' is both singular and plural.  If you are referring to something that belongs to more than one person, you still say 'your'.  Not 'you guyses' ". Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 

Or Y'all. It depends on where ya frum...

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
8 hours ago, ezzy4 said:

Ya know, I am also gonna chime in to say how healing this episode felt.  I also think the dress was...meh.  Christine is really pretty and i think something less formal, more "flowy" would have been a better fit for her body and personality, but...i get that she really wanted the whole real wedding dress thing that she didn't get with awful Kody.

And the dress kinda symbolized the feel of the entire event.  Nothing was perfect...and yet...everything was as they wanted it...so...perfect.

It certainly wasn't polish, but it was perfect.

It felt real.  It felt like watching real families coming together.

Haha.  Suck it Kody! ;) 

I hated the dress. Christine is a lovely woman and it wasn’t flattering at all. Not enough flow to it. But I’m happy the family got a nice, drama free moment.

• Like 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, JoannKBC said:

YES I was weirded out big time, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

And I don’t quite understand - his daughter said hey Christine is single; then Christine was the one who initiated contact with David (on the dating site) and was the persuer? How did that all even come about?

Edited by SDVegas
  • Useful 6

The thing that really stood out to me was that Christine was definitely ready to jump David's bones the entire episode, even aside from the lap dance. 🫣😅  I know bedroom eyes when I see them.  She looks at him like that even in their TH's together.  I don't know how she made it through the party. Maybe they snuck off at some point to make extra sure Christine was properly divorced.  Although I'm pretty sure she'd been good and divorced many times by then 🫢😉🤣.

• Like 1
  • LOL 20
(edited)

Christine looked lovely but I was dying for the waist line of her dress to be taken in just an inch or two -- it was driving me bonkers -- it would have made a world of difference in the fit and flow of the dress.  It may have also stopped the bodice from buckling away from her like it did a few times when she moved.  I know we don't all want to go around in skin tight clothes in our every day lives BUT if you choose to wear a bodycon wedding gown, you have to go all in and get it properly tailored to the curves of your body or else it does not work and what is the point?

Her hair and makeup looked perfect.  The flowers on the altar and her bouquet were fantastic.  Now that is how you do a Fall wedding!  Not a sunflower in sight!  The moody colour palette was a modern take and a nice change from the typical seasonal decor you see in a lot of Fall weddings.  I.e. lots of sunflowers and gourds.

David's suit looked great and everyone else was dressed so well.  I saw so many beautiful dresses and everyone wore them well. 

Edited by Cementhead
spelling
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
(edited)
45 minutes ago, dariafan said:

So who is that kootie imposter on the couch ????

He may be beginning to see that his behavior has been horrific and extremely off-putting and realized he better tone it down or Bye, Bye, Kootie on TV. 

But does he even have enough of a brain to realize that?

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 10
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Christine looked lovely but I was dying for the waist line of her dress to be taken in just an inch or two -- it was driving me bonkers -- it would have made a world of difference in the fit and flow of the dress.  It may have also stopped the bodice from buckling away from her like it did a few times when she moved.  I know we don't all want to go around in skin tight clothes in our every day lives BUT if you choose to wear a bodycon wedding gown, you have to go all in and get it properly tailored to the curves of your body or else it does not work and what is the point?

Yes, this! Either it was never properly tailored, or it's possible she got the dressed fitted too early in the process and then lost some weight. Because that dress desperately needed to be taken in. It was practically falling off her by the end of the night because it was too loose.

• Like 10
14 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Kody said he was concerned for how David would treat his kids. Yeah, whatever,  Kody. Kody probably cant even name his and Christine's children. 

Why do you care, Kody - do you want to be the only person to treat your non-Crybrows kids like crap?  Go worry about something else, like making sure the wife has enough eyebrow Sharpies to last her the week.  Your kids are going to be fine, despite your very best efforts.

That reminds me, during the ceremony the officiant was talking about Christine and used Ysabel as an example of Christine's love, but I didn't catch what he was talking about?  I assume it had to do with her surgery.  If so, I hope that feels like an actual knife in the kidney to Kody when he watches the episode.  But also, if that's what it was about, it probably didn't feel too good to Ysabel to have to be reminded in front of everyone that her dad's idea of comforting her through surgery was to hand her one of his smelly hoodies to wear while he stayed home with his Tenders.

• Like 10
15 hours ago, Absolom said:

I wonder why they don't make the garments in both nude and white? 

They aren't supposed to show. If you follow this rule, it will ensure that you dress modestly, with no shorts or skirts above the knee, etc. I suspect that David's mom is used to temple weddings and has no experience with this sort of fancy reception, and didn't really know how to dress. Much like Christine. But as everyone has said, the entire family nailed the emotional parts of the wedding that really matter.

9 hours ago, SDVegas said:

his daughter said hey Christine is single; then Christine was the one who initiated contact with David (on the dating site) and was the persuer? How did that all even come about?

Hard to say. I wonder if the eager daughter figured out that Christine was on the dating site, or prompted her dad to look on different sites to see if Christine turned up? Or maybe Christine's I-pursued-him story happened after David nudged her somehow. This is how I met my husband -- I liked one of his pictures on OKCupid, and that prompted him to write to me.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

used Ysabel as an example of Christine's love, but I didn't catch what he was talking about?

When Ysabel would complain that a kid at school had been mean/unpleasant/whatever, Christine would tell her "Maybe that kid is going through something you don't know about, so you should just be kind in response."

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

But also, if that's what it was about, it probably didn't feel too good to Ysabel to have to be reminded in front of everyone

I believe Ysabel provided the words he used. He just didn’t break so you could tell when her words ended, and his own began again.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Her hair and makeup looked perfect.  The flowers on the altar and her bouquet were fantastic.  Now that is how you do a Fall wedding!  Not a sunflower in sight!  The moody colour palette was a modern take and a nice change from the typical seasonal decor you see in a lot of Fall weddings.  I.e. lots of sunflowers and gourds.

David's suit looked great and everyone else was dressed so well.  I saw so many beautiful dresses and everyone wore them well. 

I disagree on the flowers. They looked dead, not dried. She could have done way better on the dress. Otherwise everything was stunning. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, dariafan said:

Robyn and that pull kootie into a kiss and shoo away the camera    That was weird 

I think that smooch had two meanings. The first to shut Kooter up, and the second to let the other wives know the "No public display of emotions" doesn't apply to her.

Likewise I think a bit of Chiristine's a bit over the top affection also applied to #2, directed at Kooter.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

Or Y'all. It depends on where ya frum...

Your, youse, y'all....all fine by me.  What I can't stand is subbing in a F or V for the TH sound.  I watch a lot of British youtubers and it is chronic.  I have to translate some things in my head with context (i.e. free is three!  WTF?).  It's like razors in my ears.  So the Browns' use of dill for deal, rill for real...meh, never bothered me.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

Your, youse, y'all....all fine by me.  What I can't stand is subbing in a F or V for the TH sound.  I watch a lot of British youtubers and it is chronic.  I have to translate some things in my head with context (i.e. free is three!  WTF?).  It's like razors in my ears.  So the Browns' use of dill for deal, rill for real...meh, never bothered me.  

Western Pennsylvania checking in with the obligatory younze/yinze !!

• LOL 9
5 hours ago, dariafan said:

So who is that kootie imposter on the couch ????

I think all the talking heads with the front curls pinned back were filmed much later than the others. He has seen how well his opinions were received by the public, and dialled things back about 50 notches.

• Like 9

They should have called this episode "Et tu, Caleb?"

Loved Janelle's snipe about rocking chair/porch/grandchildren, and the parade of littles at the beginning of the wedding shows David and Christine already have that.

Indeed, the "Brown family" remains intact. Of the 13 original children, three wives and Kody, only one wife and Kody are out of the picture. I do feel bad for Sol and Ari and I hope that as they grow older they are incorporated into the greater circle as has been stated they will be.

• Like 7
23 hours ago, BnJJ said:

On another note, "I seen" and "should of" will never be correct to my ears.  What kind of primary schools did people go to where they learned that "should of" is correct??  Gah!

It doesn't really have much to do with the primary schools, though. I grew up in West Virginia, and we were taught from a young age to speak correctly, but when your parents and friends are all saying "I seen" or "we was" to you on a daily basis, it's not going to matter what Mrs. McClenihan told you for six months back in third grade. 

• Like 19
  • Applause 3

I'm Scottish. None of you would ever know what I was on about if I typed/spoke in my native dialect. 😂 As a foreigner, David and Tony sound similar to me. David's (lack of) grammar is just that of a working man.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think that smooch had two meanings. The first to shut Kooter up, and the second to let the other wives know the "No public display of emotions" doesn't apply to her.

I think there’s a third meaning: something akin to jealousy.  She’s jealous and mad at what happened to the family, and that very public smooch was her way of saying “look at me, look how happy and in love we are” as the rest of the family revels in Christine’s happiness.  

• Like 20
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

He may be beginning to see that his behavior has been horrific and extremely off-putting and realized he better tone it down or Bye, Bye, Kootie on TV. 

But does he even have enough of a brain to realize that?

To be perfectly honest, there have been multiple occasions when Kody has been measured and fairly reasonable when one on one with Christine talking about the dissolution of their marriage. There was a huge disconnect in the early post-breakup episodes between the tenor of his discussions with Christine in person where he seemed resigned and regretful but not hostile and the rage displays in the talking heads. I came to assume that in the intervening period he had been fed the poison of "I can't believe she DID this to you, to us, do you know how that makes you look, do you know how it makes ME look, the world is going to blame it all on ME!"

He's a jerk, absolutely, and I don't generally blame men's behavior on their partners and don't even blame Robyn 100% because of course he has choices in how he behaves. But I think a lot of his crazy behavior is wrapped up in his idealized vision of his marriage with Robyn and the toxic masculinity/victimization stuff he's been absorbing and perhaps she's been coddling.  Early season Kody is quite a different animal altogether.  

• Like 13
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I wonder if the eager daughter figured out that Christine was on the dating site, or prompted her dad to look on different sites to see if Christine turned up? Or maybe Christine's I-pursued-him story happened after David nudged her somehow.

Based on Christine's awkwardness when David was telling this story, she may have been telling everyone the I-pursued-him story when in reality David's daughter encouraged him to put himself in Christine's path (she said she was using a matchmaker - he or his daughter could have figured out who it was and signed him up) so she could stumble upon him.

• Useful 5

Finally sat down to watch the wedding specials. 

I thought from a reality tv perspective they were well done (the talking heads from the various kids were cut nicely in the episode), and I am very happy for Christine and David. They looked very happy, I thought aesthetically the venue and theme were on point. I loved that all the kids (minus Gwen) showed up for Christine, it’s clear that family is not about blood or marriage licenses but love. What Gabe said about having the family back together 🥹  

I thought Meri was truthful and gracious- I know even though she’s not tight with Christine, she values the love and care Christine shows to her child. I also think Meri was sincere in wishing them all the best. If Meri desires a relationship I am sure she could find someone. Janelle glowed, I could tell she was so happy for Christine. 

• Like 20
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2024 at 12:52 AM, Yeah No said:

I will nitpick on one thing, though - I didn't like the neckline of her gown on her.  I get it that a deep plunge helps minimize a large chest, but that was a little too deep and not the most flattering look for her in my opinion.  But she was glowing so brightly I'm probably the only person that noticed.  I did like the lace, though!

I was also taken aback by the fit of her dress. It made me sad to see her dress not perfect for her perfect day.

• Like 13
(edited)
17 hours ago, monagatuna said:

It doesn't really have much to do with the primary schools, though. I grew up in West Virginia, and we were taught from a young age to speak correctly, but when your parents and friends are all saying "I seen" or "we was" to you on a daily basis, it's not going to matter what Mrs. McClenihan told you for six months back in third grade. 

That may be part of it but people write "should of" all the time.  How do they not know that the sound is from the contraction of should have, being should've?

Edited by BnJJ
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, BnJJ said:

That may be part of it but people write "should of" all the time.  How do they not know that the sound is from the contraction of should have, being should've?  What do they think "of" even means when used in that way?  It makes no sense.

1 hour ago, BnJJ said:

That may be part of it but people write "should of" all the time.  How do they not know that the sound is from the contraction of should have, being should've?

That, I really can't answer. My guess is that they don't read or write often; they're functionally literate but don't read for fun, and they work with their hands/body so they don't really need or care to write properly. I'm only going off people I know who have that kind of lifestyle and the only writing they do is on social media, where there are no rules. But I can't really say for certain.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, General Days said:

About how David and Christine met:

Some of the problem with this is the editing.

From what I've been able to piece together. Kati heard Christine was single and told her father, David, he should date her, so everyone jokes that she "manifested" it -- like magic, you know?

Meanwhile, Christine went to a matchmaker. She also registered with an online dating site. She connected with David via the online dating site. 

I think fandom has just gotten the story twisted, because the editors suck.

Spoken aloud, what most people say in place of "should have" is the contraction "should've." There is nothing wrong with "should've," in spoken English. What makes me nuts is all the people who don't know that what they're saying is not "should of," and write out (type out) "should of." It makes my eyes bleed.

Or....

All the sudden.

No. It's

All of a sudden. 

Makes me nuts. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

We should start a thread devoted to Speaking Brownish (Brownese?)

"Taken back" instead of "taken aback"

"A pit in my stomach" instead "a feeling in the pit of my stomach" 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
On 1/14/2024 at 8:37 PM, Gramto6 said:

I like how Gabe, I think it was, said something about how happy Christine was with David, no reflection or some such thing on his Dad. But this party. was so much fun with the real Brown family all together. Hmmm, interesting...

It was a nice comment.  What distracted me was the sore on his face.  It looked like impetigo.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I was also taken aback by the fit of her dress. It made me sad to see her dress not perfect for her perfect day.

I agree. I really liked the style- I thought it fit the venue, her shape and personal style, but it looked as if it was straight from the warehouse and hadn’t been altered yet. She looked gorgeous of course but from an aesthetic point of view that was the only thing that missed the mark. 

I LOVED how all of the kids (David’s and the Browns) dressed to match the theme. 

• Like 14

Mikelti and Truly have the same personality as Christine and Kody!   All over the top gals.

It was a pretty nice wedding.  I especially loved that there was absolutely no problems with either family!  Like a breath of fresh air.

Gwen should have been there!  That's all I'll say about that one!

Yasabel and Aspyn had a lot to contend with in that household including Crazy Kody and his Mosh Pit dancing!  🙄

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I agree. I really liked the style- I thought it fit the venue, her shape and personal style, but it looked as if it was straight from the warehouse and hadn’t been altered yet. She looked gorgeous of course but from an aesthetic point of view that was the only thing that missed the mark. 

I don't know how accurate this explanation is, but Mykelti said Christine had her dress custom made, however she wanted it to be a little loose in the middle for comfort (which I do get -- she's had six babies, and no matter how much weight you lose, as you go through menopause, your waist isn't what it once was), and then she (Christine) lost some more weight, after the final fitting.

I LOVED how all of the kids (David’s and the Browns) dressed to match the theme.

Me too!

I think this is something the Browns have (sometimes) tried to keep in mind for some of their planned family photos. They're not all in the same color, but it often looks like they tried to coordinate their outfits, with many of them are wearing an accent color in common, or something along those lines. I always thought that was a great idea for such a large family.

I had other photo examples, but the files were too big and I was too lazy to resize them.

Sister Wives Red theme Brown-Family-Dec-2014.webp

sister wives purple and brown.jpeg

sister wives blue aspyns wedding big group.webp

• Like 7
6 hours ago, General Days said:

I don't know how accurate this explanation is, but Mykelti said Christine had her dress custom made, however she wanted it to be a little loose in the middle for comfort (which I do get -- she's had six babies, and no matter how much weight you lose, as you go through menopause, your waist isn't what it once was), and then she (Christine) lost some more weight, after the final fitting.

Actually, knowing that her gown was custom made makes me see it as even more of a travesty.  I get wanting a little breathing room, but that means she didn't pick the right style of gown for her.  You don't go with a style that's supposed to be ultra-fitted if you don't want it to be ultra fitted, otherwise it throws the proportions off and isn't flattering.   I see that I'm not the only person here that felt this way.

I've always been a wedding gown aficionado ever since my expert seamstress mother made my gown by hand 43 years ago (and let me tell you that thing fit me like a GLOVE).  And then my husband was a part time wedding photographer for 25 years. and I also subscribed to wedding gown magazines for a couple of decades.  So I've seen a LOT of gowns and there are many different styles she could have gone for that would have given her a little more room without looking like it was poorly fitted to her.

Then again, I look at it this way - it was light years better than her first wedding gown, which was absolutely, hands down the WORST wedding gown I have ever seen in my entire 65 years.  And I don't think even she would argue with that.  And ironically it also suffered from being too loose in the mid section, although it was SO loose it looked like a sack of potatoes on her and made her look HUGE.  So because of that I am in a way not surprised that this gown didn't fit her quite right.  I do understand that the circumstances of the first gown were different, but it's beyond me how anyone could agree to wear a gown that looked that bad.  At least the new one was better.  To which my husband would take a line from a Python movie and say, "Better?  Better get a bucket, I'm gonna throw up", LOL!  😉

• Like 12
  • LOL 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Actually, knowing that her gown was custom made makes me see it as even more of a travesty.  I get wanting a little breathing room, but that means she didn't pick the right style of gown for her. [...]

So I've seen a LOT of gowns and there are many different styles she could have gone for that would have given her a little more room without looking like it was poorly fitted to her.

Then again, I look at it this way - it was light years better than her first wedding gown, which was absolutely, hands down the WORST wedding gown I have ever seen in my entire 65 years.  And I don't think even she would argue with that.  And ironically it also suffered from being too loose in the mid section, although it was SO loose it looked like a sack of potatoes on her and made her look HUGE.  So because of that I am in a way not surprised that this gown didn't fit her quite right.  I do understand that the circumstances of the first gown were different, but it's beyond me how anyone could agree to wear a gown that looked that bad....

I largely agree, but I don't think I feel as strongly, if you know what I mean.

I think Christine looked lovely at her wedding to David, in no small part because she looked so truly happy.

I don't think anything about her look was a travesty. Still, had I been Queen of Christine's wedding, I would've chosen a style of gown I found more flattering to her figure, too.

She did actually glow, and she looked comfortable in her own skin, so in that sense, I think she chose well. What Christine chose made her feel beautiful, made her feel bridal, and let her dance. David seemed to love it on her, so mission accomplished, no matter what we think.

My guess is that watching Maddie, Mykelti, Logan's Michelle, and whatever other young non-cult brides she knows, gave her bridal envy, but since they're all young, the inspiration she got from them could have done with a maturity tweak.

I agree that the gown's fit is more of a problem, if/since it was custom made. To be fair to Christine (and the dress shop), it could be that Mykelti doesn't have the vocabulary or precision of language to describe the made-to-order process common to the bridal gown business, and conflated it with a truly custom gown.

Anyhow, I also agree that Christine could have chosen a better shape for her figure, especially considering she wanted some room. Seeing how she currently dresses (in Instagram photos, etc.), I think she's still looking for the sweet spot in translating her fantasy vision into styles that suit her in reality. She does well in many of her casual looks, but when she has to dress up, she still has a way to go.

She never got to enjoy her young hottie years, so she's kind of working through all that in the public eye. She's probably reacting to/deconstructing 40-something years of cult programming on modesty. I think she is still rebelling against it too (note her penchant for one-shouldered gowns that really do her bust a disservice). 

Also though, it can be harder to find a more flowing gown that doesn't look either juvenile (too much tulle!), or like it was made for the mother of the bride. This, of course, is the challenge for a midlife wedding, if you want to go the whole white wedding way.

I'm finding my 50s (and my budget) a challenge for dressing, too. I don't want to look like grandma yet, but I'd be mutton dressed as lamb, if I looked to my long, lean 20-something kid for inspo. I'm grateful I didn't have my church on my case for the first 40-whatever years of my life, messing with whatever little sense of personal style I have.

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Like 15
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, General Days said:

it could be that Mykelti doesn't have the vocabulary or precision of language to describe the made-to-order process common to the bridal gown business, and conflated it with a truly custom gown.

Remember when Mykelti was going to be a fashion designer?? 🤣🤣

• LOL 12