Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: February 14th

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, Lola82 said:

Miranda’s disaster date was done much better on Friends when Ross dated the messy woman.

And Carrie's waiting and waiting at a restaurant, expecting to reconnect with an ex she hadn't seen in years, was done better in Nocturnal Animals.  

I'd enjoyed the last couple episodes, but this one was pretty bad. Illogical set-ups, silly dialogue (these AJLT neologisms like "me-evening" are cloying), ancient plot devices, characters making appearances seemingly just so we wouldn't forget they're on the show, and overacting from about three-fourths of the cast to try to sell it all.

As an example of "ancient," do people still go up to a maitre'd and yell "Call an ambulance!" in such situations in 2023? Neither Charlotte nor Harry was carrying a phone of their own?

I love @greekmom's idea of Berger in a Miranda AA group. It would be an especially good way to work him in because Miranda had been a Berger fan when he and Carrie were dating.  

Yeah, when Charlotte expressed that she thought she was having a heart attack, I wondered if we were going to get a very well-concealed Kyle MacLachlan cameo. The eventual explanation for Charlotte's distress was a big shrug, because what she was complaining about and how she was acting didn't seem like a plausible effect of THC.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, luna1122again said:

It's dumb that he didn't remember that address. And his not wanting to go back in there should have been it, a bittersweet little reunion that ultimately they realized wasn't a reboot. But no. 

Exactly how I felt. I had hoped it would end there, but I guess the writers plan to drag this couple out for the third time. Yawn.

1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

He was such a low-grade macho bro in SATC, and he always seemed so self-satisfied but with no cause except maybe he was good with wood?

This is precisely why Aidan bugged me so much.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 6

I don't think I'll ever like Miranda as a lesbian. I can't buy it. When she asks Charlotte why would you assume just ladies, I figured she should say because that's what Cynthia Nixon wants you to be.

I can believe Cynthia Nixon's own story. Married to a man young, never explored her sexuality, figured it out in late in life, etc. 

But how many men has Miranda slept with? Her entire adult life until marrying Steve at what, 40? Men and only men. The show directly addressed her possibly being gay and rejected it. We SAW this. A single woman dating all the time for that many years.

It doesn't make sense. She would have known before this.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I love @greekmom's idea of Berger in a Miranda AA group. It would be an especially good way to work him in because Miranda had been a Berger fan when he and Carrie were dating.  

Gah! I had almost forgotten how much Miranda liked Berger.

Maybe the SATC writers should have paired those two together.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

totally felt Seema when she was complaining about the spa making their services all about couples on Valentine's Day.  But as someone who loves a good massage I would have kept the appointment and pretended to be a couple.

I thought she was being too Karen this episode, as were Charlotte and even Harry. Too much needless ragging on service people. I hope with her new job Charlotte goes back to talking normally sometimes.

12 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

• Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Hanahope said:

the pot brownies were funny, but a bit surprised it hit charlotte so hard.  hopefully charlotte can find herself again with the job. 

I hadn't smoked for decades and then did once after the lockdown and I couldn't move and could barely speak for two hours, and my chest hurt like hell. This ain't your mother's pot.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 13
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I guess New Miranda doesn't like normal people. She didn't want Steve anymore because he wanted to sit on the sofa and eat ice cream. She  got fed up with Che when Che suffered a major career blow and wasn't a dazzling showbiz person anymore. Then when it turned out the Jane Austen lady was a normal person when she wasn't "on" as a performer, Miranda ghosts her (which was really mean, as ghosting usually is).

I like Che a lot as Carrie's friend. And I like Sarah a lot as an actor, so I'm glad they're finding a way for them to stick around. (Maybe Che could become a surgeon!!)

TV pilots come and go but Che had a Netflix special (or was it two?) so it's surprising she's not on the road as a comic and on tv shows that have on known comedians.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2

1) I’m single, never married and I love Valentine’s Day. I love the decorations and the idea of a special dinner, even though I don’t really ever have one, and all of the trappings that go with it. The cards, flowers, fancy candy. I love seeing the kids walking home with their boxes. I guess I have really fond childhood memories of Valentine’s Day at school so I’ve always loved it. Seeing all the decorations and the celebratory things makes me happy even though none of it is ever for me.

2) But I also totally get Seema’s stance that why are couples always celebrated?? I kind of resent that we’ve been “celebrating” my married sister and brother for 25 odd years total, but my middle unmarried sister and I get ONE holiday and that’s our birthdays. They get anniversaries and their birthdays and their spouses/kids birthdays, graduations, and Mothers/Fathers Day. F that man. It’s kind of how I feel about all the shower, wedding and baby gifts I’ve had to get for people who won’t be there for me because that wave is long over and I’m still (happily) single.

3) Anyhow I don’t really like how AJLT has represented LGBTQ++ people like caricatures. Why did Amelia have to live in a crowded dirty litter box apartment? Why was Amelia’s character inconsiderate and flaky and why the cat trope? Why does Che have to be insufferable, except I loved the insight to their former life as a rescuer and caregiver of animals. That’s an awesome quality, please let us see more of it. The HotFellas are officially overdone. It was cute at first but Giuseppe and the Great Loaf was a bridge too far. As a side note I really can’t stand Miss Brooks coming out in Miranda’s voice all the time. F’ing aliens.

4) I get Aidan resisting going into Carrie’s apartment. Golden rule: you can’t reheat the soup. I tried to reheat the soup a couple times and it never worked out. Going into a former boyfriend’s home after someone else was there in between felt really icky and I couldn’t get over it. I don’t buy that Aidan and Carrie are really on the same page.

5) I can’t even get started with Lily and Rock.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

Although having one of the hot fellas just casually inject himself out in the open like that in the middle of a job was a pretty ridiculous bit of staging.

Yes. That was a good example of my problem with this episode and with AJLT at its baseline level: it's lazy to a degree that it's not believable even for a quasi-comedy. The scene needs Anthony to discover that his employees are using HGH, so one of them just whips out a syringe while Anthony is addressing him and three other employees. I doubt even disgraced baseball player José Canseco was ever that brazen with it. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 9
(edited)

Oh dear lord, I always favoured Big and Aiden has not changed AT ALL.  He shouldn’t have accepted the invitation.  I can see him and Carrie reaching the same point again when he wants to stay home in his tighty whiteys and eat KFC out of the bucket.  They were right to split 20 years ago because the are fundamentally very different people.  I don’t need a redux! 

Also, I always loved Charlotte and this episode gave her exactly what I wanted for her.  It’s ok to want your own life back!  Her daughters and friends don’t deserve her and Harry is Harry! He’s wonderful and she’s lucky to have him.  Go own it Charlotte York Goldenblatt!! 

And finally, why do TV shows always have to make people insanely insecure and OTT about the most overrated “holiday” … never in my real life have I had a conversation with my friends about Valentines Day and being alone.  It’s so cliche … stop it!! I beg you!

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Like 7
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The only note I would have is that they need to learn it is okay if not every cast member is given something to do in every episode.  I was curious how Che has gone from making Netflix specials to impoverished to the point where they are jumping to grab an old job as a veterinary assistant, but it also felt unnecessary for the episode.  

Pretty sure we’re heading for a reunion of Che/Miranda by the end of the season. Che will be less self-centered and Miranda convinced she wants out of the dating world.

I liked Aidan in the original SATC but thought he and Carrie made no sense as a couple. I don’t see how they make sense now either, particularly since Aidan now has kids as well as a dog. 

And I hope Kim  C doesn’t come back. I shudder to think what these writers would do to her.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't think I'll ever like Miranda as a lesbian. I can't buy it. When she asks Charlotte why would you assume just ladies, I figured she should say because that's what Cynthia Nixon wants you to be.

I can believe Cynthia Nixon's own story. Married to a man young, never explored her sexuality, figured it out in late in life, etc. 

But how many men has Miranda slept with? Her entire adult life until marrying Steve at what, 40? Men and only men. The show directly addressed her possibly being gay and rejected it. We SAW this. A single woman dating all the time for that many years.

It doesn't make sense. She would have known before this.

I just remembered another example of Miranda proclaiming that she's not a lesbian in SATC. Remember when she and Carrie decided to do Valentine's day dinner and the restaurant was over done like the bookstore in this week's episode? The waitress assumed she and Carrie were a couple and Miranda just proclaimed they were not. I just remember the convo being awkward.  That is why with other examples, I don't get the whole Miranda's 180.

4 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

As a gay man, I must give props to this show for saying the quiet part out loud when it comes to adonises with seemingly impossible perfect bodies - that many of them could not achieve or maintain that without the use of steroids. It would do so much to dispel toxic beauty standards in our community if it were more of an open secret just how unrealistic it is to attain that look naturally. Although having one of the hot fellas just casually inject himself out in the open like that in the middle of a job was a pretty ridiculous bit of staging.

Word.

I also forgot to mention the poet. I can't believe he would want to turn down a side hustle delivering bread while he tries to get his poetry writing noticed.  It's honest work and money is money.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

And finally, why do TV shows always have to make people insanely insecure and OTT about the most overrated “holiday” … never in my real life have I had a conversation with my friends about Valentines Day and being alone.  It’s so cliche … stop it!! I beg you!

Unfortunately, Parks & Rec beat the SATC/AJLT ladies to the punch with Galentine's Day, a twist that I could see Samantha embracing.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I hadn't smoked for decades and then did once after the lockdown and I couldn't move and could barely speak for two hours, and my chest hurt like hell. This ain't your mother's pot.

OMG, this is so true.  I was skeptical too, that she would be hit so hard, but those of us that indulged in the 70's and 80's didn't have the chemically engineered weed that's basically a craft hobby to produce these days.   Some of that shit is no joke.  And the rich kids will definitely get the primo stuff.  No skunk weed for precious Lily!

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2

I just don't see Aiden and Carrie together again.  As he heartbreakingly said "you broke my heart"  and now we're to believe that he's going to rekindle with the widow of the man that "stole" her away.  If Carrie and Big had divorced, I can see a Carrie and Aiden reconciliation, but Big's dead and usually the survivor elevates them to saint level.   I just don't see Aiden being able to process that.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I didn't hate Aidan's jacket. I actually kind of liked it - it was modern and pretty cool. But not something I'd expect for Aidan who now lives in Virginia, which is not a state with a major metropolitan area like New York. I would have expected him to be wearing something sportier like a high end outdoor type of jacket or a simple mens wool coat. I live in New England and that's how the guys dress here.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I didn't hate Aidan's jacket. I actually kind of liked it - it was modern and pretty cool. But not something I'd expect for Aidan who now lives in Virginia, which is not a state with a major metropolitan area like New York. I would have expected him to be wearing something sportier like a high end outdoor type of jacket or a simple mens wool coat. I live in New England and that's how the guys dress here.

I didn't like the belt part, the rest was fine. It's apparently a nearly $2000 jacket, which: whatever. I think, if we want to actually analyze, Aidan might have been trying to look upscale stylish, cuz he's back in New York (and he DID live there, for years, and ran a successful business,  he's not just some podunk country boy, like so many people seem to insist he is) and Carrie is all about fashion, so it was a conscious tho maybe a little out of the norm style choice. 

Or not. 

• Like 4

I didn’t say any of that. I just didn’t expect to see Aidan in that type of style because it looked completely different from the way he dressed in the series and the second movie. He wore ponchos and turquoise jewelry when we first met him and evolved to global traveler chic. I didn’t expect him to look like a Sprocket when he came back the third time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
17 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

I think, if we want to actually analyze, Aidan might have been trying to look upscale stylish, cuz he's back in New York (and he DID live there, for years, and ran a successful business,  he's not just some podunk country boy, like so many people seem to insist he is) and Carrie is all about fashion, so it was a conscious tho maybe a little out of the norm style choice. 

Or not. 

Depends if the writers talk to wardrobe.  Could be the writers wanted Aidan to have wanted to wear something Carrie would think was nice.  Or could be whoever has Pat Fields job liked the coat. Or HBO is getting paid to have the coat on screen.  I'm not giving the writers too much credit for anything that seems thoughtful or logical so I'm going with someone liked it or someone is getting paid.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I didn’t say any of that. I just didn’t expect to see Aidan in that type of style because it looked completely different from the way he dressed in the series and the second movie. He wore ponchos and turquoise jewelry when we first met him and evolved to global traveler chic. I didn’t expect him to look like a Sprocket when he came back the third time.

I wasn't projecting onto your opinion about the country boy thing, that's just something I've seen expressed a lot of places. Otherwise, I was mostly agreeing with you. The jacket was very not-Aidan, all in all. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/27/2023 at 8:30 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

The hug was very sweet.

It was, but why'd Aidan look so weird when he put out his arms?  If I were him, I'd tread very slowly....you don't want to be punked by the same woman thrice, dude.

Read an article about MPK and his ideas for Aidan; he wanted him to look leaner and without the long hair/jewelry this time.  I prefer pancho Aidan, but what do I know?

Che should have sent Miranduh an email telling her to pick up her shit, I wouldn’t have answered the phone either, ya dumped me, heiffa!

The cat lady was gross, I’da left as soon as she went to dry her comforter.

An angry Harry is a sexy af Harry, grrrrrrrrrr!!  I figured that brownie was laced as soon as Charlotte ate it.  Lily and Rose are such entitled cows, I’d still be picking up my lips if I ever spoke to my mother the way they speak to Charlotte.  Lily, this is why your parents didn’t want you to have sex, see how fast your ass got dumped after giving it up?

I wish the show would have Gary Dourdan on again so Nya can get her groove back.

I could see losing my job after reaming Seema out at the massage place….the poor girl was doing her job, if you’re going to yell at someone then yell at the manager.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I thought she was being too Karen this episode, as were Charlotte and even Harry. Too much needless ragging on service people.

Seema and Charlotte yes, but Harry?  He tried the nice route but the scheduler was being such a bitch, I would have reamed her out too.

14 hours ago, Surrealist said:

maybe he was good with wood?

Sniggling over here, I'll never grow up!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, luna1122again said:

I'd expect for Aidan who now lives in Virginia, which is not a state with a major metropolitan area like New York.

Northern Virginia/DC is a fairly metropolitan area with a couple of so million people living in it. 

7 hours ago, violet and green said:

Yet again, I wish they'd reduce the Wexleys to a few schoolyard interactions with Charlotte and Lisa.

I like LTW.  She always looks impeccable.  And she maintained her poise better than I would if I found my kid's girlfriend going through my closet, filming my things for her Insta, (not that I have anything on the level of the Wexleys).

• Like 9
39 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

It was, but why'd Aidan look so weird when he put out his arms?  If I were him, I'd tread very slowly....you don't want to be punked by the same woman thrice, dude.

Read an article about MPK and his ideas for Aidan; he wanted him to look leaner and without the long hair/jewelry this time.  I prefer pancho Aidan, but what do I know?

Che should have sent Miranduh an email telling her to pick up her shit, I wouldn’t have answered the phone either, ya dumped me, heiffa!

The cat lady was gross, I’da left as soon as she went to dry her comforter.

An angry Harry is a sexy af Harry, grrrrrrrrrr!!  I figured that brownie was laced as soon as Charlotte ate it.  Lily and Rose are such entitled cows, I’d still be picking up my lips if I ever spoke to my mother the way they speak to Charlotte.  Lily, this is why your parents didn’t want you to have sex, see how fast your ass got dumped after giving it up?

I wish the show would have Gary Dourdan on again so Nya can get her groove back.

I could see losing my job after reaming Seema out at the massage place….the poor girl was doing her job, if you’re going to yell at someone then yell at the manager.

Maybe this time it will be Aiden dumping Carrie. 

• Like 8
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I like Lisa, the actress and her family. But let's face it: Charlotte's PTA mom friends were more suited to a Back Door Pilot that could have happened in the old days. One episode introduced and then their own show. It's not mixing in well at all here.

Miranda's date: it felt like a funny, old self-contained episode from original recipe SATC actually! Miranda meets a hero/girl crush from jogging Audible and gives it a try. But with all the Che, Steve destruction/LA move and other out of character stuff with Miranda it kind of ruined it. As others have said had AJLT opened with the time jump Miranda had been separated or divorced from Steve for years? And THIS was her first foray into dating men or women? I could have bought it (again, but as a stand-alone comedy/drama encounter).

Take away the cat? That tiny, crowded flat was how Carrie should have been living in SATC to make it more realistic (although less books)

The Human Growth Hormone injection? Agree @Roccos Brother. Nice to acknowledge the open secret in the community.... but Anthony should have walked in accidentally into a restroom and caught it.  Or busted a bread boys' steroid deal in the breakroom. No one would just do that mid-conversation. To play for laughs, they could have had a hunky bread boy caught say something like "Duh Anthony! We expected you to start adding HGH to our employee medical/dental benefits now that we are a success thanks to these muscles"!

Edited by JasonCC
  • Like 4
52 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Northern Virginia/DC is a fairly metropolitan area with a couple of so million people living in it. 

That’s true but I’m going on the assumption that’s not where Aidan lives and while DC is metropolitan, Northern Virginia is historically bedroom and the entire population of the state is only slightly higher than the population of New York City, depending on your Google source. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

The amount of time that this show is taking to keep attempting to make Che happen is truly hilarious. Even now that they've served their purpose of making Miranda's life into CN's, they still are desperate to want us to like them, to the point where they're literally saving puppies! Saving puppies! Like the writers were thinking "there is no way anyone can dislike Che is they are literally holding cute injured animals! Look at the puppies!" Its so transparently manipulative, especially as I feel pretty positive that they will end up back with Miranda at some point. I feel like I'm watching Richard Nixon doing a speech with Checkers the dog, but somehow even less sincere. 

Miranda should not be looking into dating after getting out of two serious relationships, she is clearly not ready if she's down to go to the home of someone she has talked to for five seconds after she followed her around after a book reading. 

I'm glad that Charlotte is going to work at the gallery, that will be really good for her. She's become totally consumed with her kids to the point where she's either a doormat or a stage mom, she needs something else in her life. Charlotte and Harry are so cute together, I'm glad that at least one couple is going strong on this show. 

I'm over Wexley family drama, even if I really like all of the actors. 

Oh Aiden, you were finally out and now you've been pulled back in. If you cant even look at Carrie's apartment without getting freaked out, do you think things will go well with Carrie?

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I don't watch the show but I do read the comments so I can keep up with what further destruction they are doing to the legacy of SATC this week and it keeps sucking to hear that Harry & Charlotte ended up with such shitty brats for kids.  That pisses me off. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
On 7/27/2023 at 2:59 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Miranda doesn’t need to date, she needs a fucking shrink.

And a shred of common sense! She really needed Carrie to point out that she didn’t need to stick around?! I know they were just going to hook up and not start some Grand Romance, but canceling dinner + answering the door in sweats + having a litter box right there + unmade bed + asking for quarters + “pick something from GrubHub” = IDGAF. Who in their right mind wants to stick around for that BS?

Charlotte — oy vey. Rock was 100% right about her giving off Dance Moms vibes. She was being way over-the-top pushy about “our” modeling career. And went way too far in the opposite direction with Lily, who was rude AF. (BTW it was so obvious when she ate the brownie that it would turn out to be not just a brownie.)

And it was completely ridiculous that she asked Harry to make Valentine’s Day dinner reservations at the last minute. The Charlotte we used to know would have been on top of that and made sure they had reservations months in advance. Hell, anyone who lived in NYC for more than 5 minutes would know better!

I enjoyed the scene where Lisa told off Baxter and booted her out. If my daughter had been a son and I caught his girlfriend going through my closet I’d have gone ballistic. Loved that his dad told him he was on his own.

So… is Aidan going to expect Carrie to move, assuming they last more than a week?

• Like 6
On 7/27/2023 at 5:45 AM, TakomaSnark said:

Why does MPK think adult women squealing is something tha that happens all the time?

I was out once with a group of girlfriends and they did that, complete with jumping up and down, and I was mortified. No, we don’t all do that!

On 7/27/2023 at 8:09 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Charlotte's girls are the worst.  Lily telling her mother to get out of her own apartment?  She would have been sent to her room and her friends would have been told GET OUT if she was my kid..

THIS!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

I was out once with a group of girlfriends and they did that, complete with jumping up and down, and I was mortified. No, we don’t all do that!

THIS!

I don't think I've squealed since I was  a baby. I could see doing it if I saw the Beatles in elementary school.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I will say John Corbett looks great for 62. I thought he was at least 10 yrs. younger. 

He looks better than he did when he was last on the show however many years ago.

I wrote a post mentioning this and also the odd jacket choice, but must have got a pronoun wrong somewhere in there... The weird stiff jacket aside, it was surprisingly good to see Aiden back on the screen. I also really enjoyed Miriam Shor. 

• Like 4
On 7/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Aidan knew Carrie married Big.  Aidan knew Big was rich so why would he think Carrie and Big who have lived in her apartment?  Or why would he think Carrie would have moved back after he died?  I was never a big Aidan fan but this writer really does seem to have grudge against him.

And the headline. Carrie Deserves So Much More Than Aidan.

Does she really?

No.

On 7/27/2023 at 6:06 PM, SeanBug said:

Is this show that desperate for guest stars? Do they not have enough imagination in the writers' room to come up with something better than this? 

🎶Is that all there iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis? Is that all there iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis? If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep daaaaaaaaaaaaanciiiiiiiiing. Let's break out the booooooooooze and haaave a baaaaall if that's aaaaaaaall there iiiiiiis🎶

💃💃💃

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

Charlotte has become a caricature of her former self at points, but Original Recipe Charlotte would 100% have an Instagram for her dog if Instagram existed at the turn of the millennium. I think it’s precious because bull dogs are so ugly they are adorable and I love Richard Burton. 

Miranda/Cynthia Nixon looked 🔥🔥🔥in that purple cocktail dress for her date. Her hair, makeup and jewelry was flawless. Miranda didn’t always get the best outfits in the series but they nailed it out of the park with that outfit. 

• Like 9
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I like LTW.  She always looks impeccable.  And she maintained her poise better than I would if I found my kid's girlfriend going through my closet, filming my things for her Insta, (not that I have anything on the level of the Wexleys).

Virginia hunt country has a lot of mega-rich people and plenty of high priced fashion.  Aiden didn't go redneck when he left NY.

And that little heifer "Baxter"? Really?  If that was me, she'd be turned over to her mommy in a heartbeat with instructions to keep her sticky paws off my designer accessories, and her hand out of my kid's crotch.  Snotty brat. 

• Like 6

This show is just so stupid.  We're supposed to believe that Aidan - dumped by Carrie before - cheated on by Carrie - is back for more punishment - like a big dumb puppy.

After all, Mr. Big died.  It's not that Big became lesser in Carrie's estimation or Aidan became more. Or Carrie saw the error of her ways in choosing Big over Aidan.  No, given a choice, she wanted Big, she always wanted Big over him.

Only now, Aidan is alive and Big's not. Aidan is supposed to be okay with what would be inevitable, even understandable - that Carrie will always compare him to Big.  He can live with that? According to these writers, he's freaked by her same apartment & memories there. But will be fine living up to her memories of someone else - the one she really wanted & eventually snagged back in the day - now gone, but not diminished.  

So RUN Aidan, RUN.  You're only back because the writers are too lazy to come up with a new character.  As written, Aidan & Carrie were so ill-suited.  How is that going to change?  Maybe she won't cheat on him again. She's older & the dating pool smaller. Maybe she'll appreciate him more - though written as a stay-at-home guy while she wanted to be out. They just didn't mesh.

This is NOT going to be good, no matter how the writers try to cram this down. Just as no one bought Miranda with Che.  The writers agenda isn't matching the viewers - there's a lot of nostalgia viewing going on - and disappointment that it's not really clicking.  The fun, humor, humanity is gone.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Same. It's probably mostly because I like Nicole Ari Parker.

Her real life husband, Boris Kodjoe, is fiiiiiiiiiine too. They should bring him on the show, even if it's a one-off character.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Oh dear lord, I always favoured Big and Aiden has not changed AT ALL.  He shouldn’t have accepted the invitation.  I can see him and Carrie reaching the same point again when he wants to stay home in his tighty whiteys and eat KFC out of the bucket.  They were right to split 20 years ago because the are fundamentally very different people.  I don’t need a redux! 

Also, I always loved Charlotte and this episode gave her exactly what I wanted for her.  It’s ok to want your own life back!  Her daughters and friends don’t deserve her and Harry is Harry! He’s wonderful and she’s lucky to have him.  Go own it Charlotte York Goldenblatt!! 

But what I found funny was that in the movie , Big got to that point too . He wanted to just stay in and watch tv and Carrie grew bored of that. I think Carrie needs a much younger guy who is very much into the going out scene . At this point , I think that’s the only type she won’t get bored of. I am unsure why Carrie and Aidan are still drawn to each other . Like you said , they are fundamentally so different. And she’s screwed him over at least twice already . Even if he is so in love with her, she clearly was never in love with him . She begged and begged him to give her another chance with her “ you haveeee to forgive me “ speech, but then he let his guard down and she screwed him over again . She never wanted to marry him but was jumping at the chance to marry Big. Carrie’s love for Aidan all these years later just doesn’t make sense to me . He was never “it” for her . 

• Like 12
50 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Same. It's probably mostly because I like Nicole Ari Parker.

Her real life husband, Boris Kodjoe, is fiiiiiiiiiine too. They should bring him on the show, even if it's a one-off character.

omg yaaass GIF by AT&T

47 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Carrie’s love for Aidan all these years later just doesn’t make sense to me . He was never “it” for her . 

No he wasn’t “it” but he liked her and treated her well. It was good for her self esteem, and being with him is pleasant. If Aidan hadn’t pushed marriage Carrie would’ve strung him along for YEARS. 

Carrie is now bored and lonely and he’s single again….so I’m not surprised she tried it. Him agreeing is less likely, but he always wanted her. It would’ve been more likely if he had been back in NYC and they ended up running into each rather than the email. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, realityplease said:

This show is just so stupid.  We're supposed to believe that Aidan - dumped by Carrie before - cheated on by Carrie - is back for more punishment - like a big dumb puppy.

After all, Mr. Big died.  It's not that Big became lesser in Carrie's estimation or Aidan became more. Or Carrie saw the error of her ways in choosing Big over Aidan.  No, given a choice, she wanted Big, she always wanted Big over him.

Only now, Aidan is alive and Big's not. Aidan is supposed to be okay with what would be inevitable, even understandable - that Carrie will always compare him to Big.  He can live with that? According to these writers, he's freaked by her same apartment & memories there. But will be fine living up to her memories of someone else - the one she really wanted & eventually snagged back in the day - now gone, but not diminished.  

So RUN Aidan, RUN.  You're only back because the writers are too lazy to come up with a new character.  As written, Aidan & Carrie were so ill-suited.  How is that going to change?  Maybe she won't cheat on him again. She's older & the dating pool smaller. Maybe she'll appreciate him more - though written as a stay-at-home guy while she wanted to be out. They just didn't mesh.

This is NOT going to be good, no matter how the writers try to cram this down. Just as no one bought Miranda with Che.  The writers agenda isn't matching the viewers - there's a lot of nostalgia viewing going on - and disappointment that it's not really clicking.  The fun, humor, humanity is gone.

Aiden should’ve told Carrie “you had your chance, too bad, so sad”!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Like some of you, I’ve always thought Berger was the best match for Carrie, but that was a really shitty thing he did to her. It would have been nice to have the “closure” of them running into each other (it’s NY, after all), and Berger apologizing to her. But maybe never hearing back from him again is also closure.

I don’t have that strong of feelings for Aidan, one way or another. I think he’s a nice enough guy that wasn’t a good fit for Carrie in the long run. Even if they have gotten married, I feel it would end in divorce pretty fast. But I still don’t like how Carrie screwed him over - the cheating, the engagement (she should have said no if she was wavering), and most of all, her forcing him to be friends with Big. It’s a different thing to be friendly with other exes, but Big was the guy you cheated on him with - have some compassion and common sense if he’s not really in the mood to be friends with Big.

More than that though- I know they’re going for the nostalgia, but what does it say about the writing and creative team that they have to dig into the past to make the audience hooked? It’s plain lazy. Why not write a totally new guy for Carrie, and make their story grow organically over the season? I thought her podcast producer had potential. But if not him, why not another new one? This is Manhattan! I’m pretty sure someone out there should be a good fit for her, if she’s really looking.

• Like 8

Ladies (and any gents here!):

I realize we all get chatting and may forget, but let's please remember even if most here know of certain spoilers, some who lurk or visitors may not know and want to remain spoiler free for certain details.

And that includes upcoming casting, etc. We have a spec/spoiler thread where spoilers can be discussed freely. For the sake of courtesy, some posts that are especially spoilery have been removed.

Let's please be careful discussing spoilers in episode threads. If there are questions, feel free to send me and/or @Black Knight a PM.

Thanks for your cooperation!

• Like 2

They don’t exactly have the best track record for inventing new characters at the moment — Che is Che, Nya is a strong sexy independent woman who is reduced to making soufflé (sorry, that’s her choice and I have to find it empowering rather than boring, I guess.), LTW is starring in her own spin-off/back-door pilot, Seema is Sassy with a Capital S but can’t quite seem to merit having actual depth.

Vulture asks the tough questions - like what the actual hell was going on with Aidan’s jacket.  The man was cinched as if he was a co-founder in Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Skims.  He was cinched as if he was a queen entering the workroom for the first time on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race.’  He was cinched harder than Scarlett O’Hara.

Was his thought process: “oh, Carrie loves fashion, I have to wear something edgy, also please let it show off my figure, in case ‘joking’ about how I’ve lost forty pounds a dozen times doesn’t make it clear!

Please my beloved Carrie, I am now longer chubby and complacent, let me supplicate myself for your love!”

Honestly?  Probably.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 9
(edited)

John Corbett is looking really good. If he had work done, it's subtle and wonderful and I definitely want his surgeon's number.

I wasn't into Carrie and Aidan back then, would be ok with them now, though I cannot fathom why Aidan would be willing to go down that road again. Carrie was awful to him in ways that can't be forgiven or overlooked, even if it was 20+ years ago.

I'm liking Che too. Help!

So, Miranda couldn't figure out by herself and  had to be told she could easily escape from her horror date? Jesus.

Anthony is tiresome. So are Lilly and Rock.

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Like 5