Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: February 14th

• Start Topic

(edited)

Poor Miranda that was the first time she'd seen what a real New York apartment looks like.

Sigh I thought Aidan was boring back in the day and I wasn't excited to see him this time either.  Was it me or did he look AI generated? I always preferred Big to Aidan. Big was New York

I loved Seema's rant.

I love the Wexleys! I love that they represent a part of the NYC glitterati that's rarely talked about. I love that Lisa is a real mom and doesn't acquiesce to every demand of her children. The girlfriend was gross and I would have kicked her out of my closet too.

I had to ff'd through every scene of the Goldenblatt family. I can't take how nasty Charlotte's kids are and how needy she is. I get that she is struggling to adjust to their growing up but turning them into assholes just makes their segments unwatchable. Is the actor that plays Harry ok? He seems a bit fragile.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Vulture asks the tough questions - like what the actual hell was going on with Aidan’s jacket.  The man was cinched as if he was a co-founder in Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Skims.  He was cinched as if he was a queen entering the workroom for the first time on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race.’  He was cinched harder than Scarlett O’Hara.

Was his thought process: “oh, Carrie loves fashion, I have to wear something edgy, also please let it show off my figure, in case ‘joking’ about how I’ve lost forty pounds a dozen times doesn’t make it clear!

Please my beloved Carrie, I am now longer chubby and complacent, let me supplicate myself for your love!”

Honestly?  Probably.

My take on the jacket - I thought maybe Aiden  is trying to impress Carrie with a high end fashion item -but clearly he looked extremely uncomfortable and not himself and seemed untrue to the character of Aiden.(remember how he made fun of her Roberto Cavalli dress?)  And I thought the jacket was so distracting that it took away from the moment of the reunion. All I could think was what the heck is he wearing? Not that one's fashion taste cannot evolve and change over the years but seriously that jacket was not Aidan.

And its interesting that among all  the things in the episode, the jacket is generating so much commentary! 

Edited by zamp33
I misspelled Cavalli - clearly I am not into high fashion
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Adgirl said:

I love the Wexleys! I love that they represent a part of the NYC glitterati that's rarely talked about. I love that Lisa is a real mom and doesn't acquiesce to every demand of her children. The girlfriend was gross and I would have kicked her out of my closet too.

The girlfriend touching her accessories was the height of disrespect. And the fact that her son KNEW and encouraged it (he was helping her it the Instagram content) would’ve had him grounded until the next decade. What is wrong with these children? Why are they so damn bratty? The way they talk to their parents gets me. 

The only child I can stand right now is Rock, who actually had a point, but they way they said it was this side of disrespectful. 

• Like 7
(edited)

I guess New Miranda doesn't like normal people. She didn't want Steve anymore because he wanted to sit on the sofa and eat ice cream. She  got fed up with Che when Che suffered a major career blow and wasn't a dazzling showbiz person anymore. Then when it turned out the Jane Austen lady was a normal person when she wasn't "on" as a performer, Miranda ghosts her (which was really mean, as ghosting usually is).

I don't disagree that Miranda might be having some kind of issue about who to date and why (and her insensitivity to people's reasons for being boring to her), but the the Jane Austen lady was not, IMO, normal. She was ridiculous and I would have left that horrific mess of an apartment before crossing the threshold. I'm not saying I'd not give the person a chance to pull it together and reinvite me later (though I would always wonder why someone would have wanted to host in those conditions in the first place), but that specific night's date would be over.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
39 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't disagree that Miranda might be having some kind of issue about who to date and why (and her insensitivity to people's reasons for being boring to her), but the the Jane Austen lady was not, IMO, normal. She was ridiculous and I would have left that horrific mess of an apartment before crossing the threshold. I'm not saying I'd not give the person a chance to pull it together and reinvite me later (though I would always wonder why someone would have wanted to host in those conditions in the first place), but that specific night's date would be over.

That woman was very odd. Who invites someone over with their apartment looking like that.l? I think a more comedic and realistic situation would’ve been if she had come down with a bug and had to spend the date in the bathroom or in urgent care. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I’m enjoying this season for the most part.  It’s got the feel of the original series. 

I’m in a definite minority. I love Aidan. I love seeing him. I want him & Carrie to be together in a new place. There i said it.

I am bored with the new side characters. Seema is maybe OK. Nyla storyline is dull. Che is ok with Carrie but awful with Miranda. LTW fashion is fun to watch, but it stops there.

Lilly and Rock are horrible. I can’t even hate watch them. I wish Charlotte and Harry would kick them out on the street.

And finally… For the love of God, I am begging that the writers give us sweet justice for Steve. Specifically, a return of Debbie!

Edited by jnymph
  • Like 6
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, jnymph said:

And finally… For the love of God, I am begging that the writers give us sweet justice for Steve. Specifically, a return of Debbie!

I would like Steve and Brady to have real character development. Showing Miranda as a mom to a nearly adult child who’s so different than her would be INTERESTING, showing Steve at his bar could be interesting. 

• Like 6
18 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Like some of you, I’ve always thought Berger was the best match for Carrie, but that was a really shitty thing he did to her. It would have been nice to have the “closure” of them running into each other (it’s NY, after all), and Berger apologizing to her. But maybe never hearing back from him again is also closure.

I don’t have that strong of feelings for Aidan, one way or another. I think he’s a nice enough guy that wasn’t a good fit for Carrie in the long run. Even if they have gotten married, I feel it would end in divorce pretty fast. But I still don’t like how Carrie screwed him over - the cheating, the engagement (she should have said no if she was wavering), and most of all, her forcing him to be friends with Big. It’s a different thing to be friendly with other exes, but Big was the guy you cheated on him with - have some compassion and common sense if he’s not really in the mood to be friends with Big.

More than that though- I know they’re going for the nostalgia, but what does it say about the writing and creative team that they have to dig into the past to make the audience hooked? It’s plain lazy. Why not write a totally new guy for Carrie, and make their story grow organically over the season? I thought her podcast producer had potential. But if not him, why not another new one? This is Manhattan! I’m pretty sure someone out there should be a good fit for her, if she’s really looking.

I liked the podcast producer too. It's not as if he and Carrie were still going to be working together, since the podcast ended. He's a handsome guy who seemed nice.

• Like 7

Ugh, that was awful. Aiden looked like he was having a panic attack (quick, someone get him a pot brownie!). It’s not the apartment, Aiden, it’s Carrie. She hurt Aiden over and over, and always went back to Big. Now that Big is dead, it’s going to work out? Run, Aiden!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

They don’t exactly have the best track record for inventing new characters at the moment — Che is Che, Nya is a strong sexy independent woman who is reduced to making soufflé (sorry, that’s her choice and I have to find it empowering rather than boring, I guess.), LTW is starring in her own spin-off/back-door pilot, Seema is Sassy with a Capital S but can’t quite seem to merit having actual depth.

I’m with you that Seema seems like bargain basement Samantha in terms of sass.  But I did like Nya being nope, me and chocolate soufflé for Valentine’s Day and then actually doing it and being happy with it.  I half expected her to have some break down into her soufflé and was happy she didn’t.

• Like 10
On 7/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, Penman61 said:

On the next AJLT: Che brokers a Middle East peace deal.

Or they save the President. Or they solve world hunger/poverty. Or they find the cure for Covid.

8 hours ago, jnymph said:

I would love for Miranda to get her just desserts for Steve to find some woman who loves him for him, is happy to sit on the couch, watch netflix and eat ice cream and looks HOT.

6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would like Steve and Brady to have real character development. Showing Miranda as a mom to a nearly adult child who’s so different than her would be INTERESTING, showing Steve at his bar could be interesting. 

There is nothing wrong with Brady going to bartending school and doing some business night classes to partner and eventually take over Steve's bar when Steve wants to retire.  Steve has been in business now for what 30 years?  He's weathered recessions and covid. So business must be decent and he must be making a great wage.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
28 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Or they save the President. Or they solve world hunger/poverty. Or they find the cure for Covid.

I would love for Miranda to get her just desserts for Steve to find some woman who loves him for him, is happy to sit on the couch, watch netflix and eat ice cream and looks HOT.

There is nothing wrong with Brady going to bartending school and doing some business night classes to partner and eventually take over Steve's bar when Steve wants to retire.  Steve has been in business now for what 30 years?  He's weathered recessions and covid. So business must be decent and he must be making a great wage.

That would be a great plot idea. You could write this stuff!

You know, if Che is sticking around as a character, and they are passionate about dog/animal rescue, I could see them working with Charlotte with one of the animal rescue charities she is involved in. Either behind the scenes or as a comic at a gala etc. SEE an organic way to intertwine the cast!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/28/2023 at 9:21 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Charlotte has become a caricature of her former self at points, but Original Recipe Charlotte would 100% have an Instagram for her dog if Instagram existed at the turn of the millennium. I think it’s precious because bull dogs are so ugly they are adorable and I love Richard Burton. 

Yes.  This was something I could totally see Charlotte doing.  She loves that dog, and probably maintains a memorial page for Elizabeth Taylor somewhere. 

• Like 5
On 7/27/2023 at 1:20 PM, bluegirl147 said:

That restaurant was weird.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, Hanahope said:

the nearly empty restaurant on Valentine's Day was a bit jarring and definitely doesn't speak well for its food (and clearly its waitstaff didn't give a crap about Carrie).  right now, i don't see the chemistry anymore between Aiden and Carrie.  

That restaurant Carrie was waiting in was Il Corso, a little Italian place on W. 55th Street.  It actually gets really good reviews on Yelp, which is pretty significant.  Coincidentally I was just looking it over the other day before watching this episode while planning a little trip to that area of Manhattan.  I've been tossed up on where to go for my Italian "fix" on that trip, but now I just might decide to go there.

• Like 2
On 7/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, Hanahope said:

Yup, Charlotte is the quintessential helicopter parent, having to be involved and overinvolved in everything of her kids.  no wonder Rock said nope to modeling.  no way would my kids ever get away with kicking me out of the house, even for one night.  the pot brownies were funny, but a bit surprised it hit charlotte so hard.  hopefully charlotte can find herself again with the job. 

I don't blame Rock for saying "no" to modeling, but Charlotte is still a pushover for both her kids and I'm glad the show is making her realize that something needs to change. 

As for the pot brownies, I think Charlotte's reaction was pretty realistic.  I had something similar happen to me in college - I went to a dorm party and had a large brownie that I did not know had hashish in it.  I had quite a strong reaction to it - auditory hallucinations, paranoia, dizziness, etc.  After my suitemates threw me in the shower fully clothed to get me out of it, I fell asleep for 13 hours that night.  My roommate, who also had a brownie was almost unwakeable the next morning.  We were ready to call an ambulance for her, seriously.  She was fine, thankfully.  I later found out that putting pot or hash in brownies amplifies the affect on the body and if you're not used to them you can have an over-reaction.  It also depends on how much was put in them.  I had never done pot or hash before so it was quite a jolt to my system.

• Like 5
On 7/28/2023 at 12:12 AM, JeanJean said:

I hadn't smoked for decades and then did once after the lockdown and I couldn't move and could barely speak for two hours, and my chest hurt like hell. This ain't your mother's pot.

My incident happened in the '70s so it could have happened with your mother's pot too, lol.

• Like 2
On 7/28/2023 at 5:39 AM, Emmybean said:

Pretty sure we’re heading for a reunion of Che/Miranda by the end of the season. Che will be less self-centered and Miranda convinced she wants out of the dating world.

If the show does this it will be yet another attempt at manipulating the audience into seeing them as "meant to be".  However I don't see most of us giving into such manipulation.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:19 AM, greekmom said:

I just remembered another example of Miranda proclaiming that she's not a lesbian in SATC. Remember when she and Carrie decided to do Valentine's day dinner and the restaurant was over done like the bookstore in this week's episode? The waitress assumed she and Carrie were a couple and Miranda just proclaimed they were not. I just remember the convo being awkward.  That is why with other examples, I don't get the whole Miranda's 180.

This entire series so far has been about force-fitting plots and characters that don't fit into the fabric of this universe because the writers and/or producers have pet topics and agendas they want to put forward whether or not they make sense in the scheme of these people's lives.  This is just another glaring example of that.  It's so force-fit it doesn't even make any realistic sense whatsoever.   

On 7/28/2023 at 2:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

The amount of time that this show is taking to keep attempting to make Che happen is truly hilarious. Even now that they've served their purpose of making Miranda's life into CN's, they still are desperate to want us to like them, to the point where they're literally saving puppies! Saving puppies! Like the writers were thinking "there is no way anyone can dislike Che is they are literally holding cute injured animals! Look at the puppies!" Its so transparently manipulative, especially as I feel pretty positive that they will end up back with Miranda at some point. I feel like I'm watching Richard Nixon doing a speech with Checkers the dog, but somehow even less sincere. 

I know, it's yet another example of blatant show manipulation trying to force us into liking Che.  I hate to say that I see the Wexley's as another example of the show force-fitting characters into the show based on an agenda, not because they really fit into the show organically.  Nothing wrong with Che or the Wexleys, but I just don't see Che and Miranda together nor do I feel that the Wexleys have much of a purpose on this show other than to manipulate us to think the show is inclusive of diversity.  I love the idea of diversity being represented here but why does it have to feel so force-fit and not like it belongs here? 

On 7/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, violet and green said:

She's very stylish, and she absolutely glows, but I feel that the Wexley family scenes belong to another show, The Wexleys, and not AJLT. 

I couldn't agree with you more.

17 hours ago, zamp33 said:

My take on the jacket - I thought maybe Aiden  is trying to impress Carrie with a high end fashion item -but clearly he looked extremely uncomfortable and not himself and seemed untrue to the character of Aiden.(remember how he made fun of her Roberto Cavalli dress?)  And I thought the jacket was so distracting that it took away from the moment of the reunion. All I could think was what the heck is he wearing? Not that one's fashion taste cannot evolve and change over the years but seriously that jacket was not Aidan.

And its interesting that among all  the things in the episode, the jacket is generating so much commentary! 

My take on the jacket is that the show wants us to think Aidan is more like Carrie these days and has become less of a "country mouse" than he was 20+ years ago.  Perhaps he's more sophisticated and less identified with the country now than the city and his wardrobe choices reflect that change in him.  Either that or Aidan himself wants to project that image to impress Carrie whether or not it's a reflection of who he is now.  I guess we'll have to find out.  My suspicion is that the show is digging up Aidan to attract his fans to the show, knowing he was popular and a lot of them wanted him and Carrie to end up together.  Whether or not he is end game is not even the point.  The show may use him for what he's worth and then they break up when either he or Carrie realizes it's not going to work or has met someone else.  But until then they can function as "transition people" for each other and it pads out more episodes in the process, LOL.

• Like 5

Some here have stated they've recently done a rewatch of original show...

You know who needs to do a rewatch?  MPK. Aiden already trimmed down, lost the shaggy hair and the "turquoise rings" in season 4 of SATC.

Try again MPK and typists. New material needed.

• Like 8
  • Applause 10
On 7/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, clubsauce said:

Why does Aiden look like Bryan Cranston? Why was he wearing a coat that made him look like he just left the military a century ago? Was he wearing dentures? 

Was going to say the same thing what the fuck was he wearing ? and Carrie sat at a table in a restaurant for a half an hour or more and didn’t throw any money on the table just walked out. Bitch move. 

• Like 5

I watched it again and on Valentine's Day night  in NYC not only did they have an open table for Carrie +1 (under the name Aiden Shaw) at that restaurant with  #60 on the facade, but Harry got a reservation at Gotham at 5:30 and Herbert + LTW got a table at Monkey Bar

AND

Baxter's mom and dad got the  kiddos a suite at the Mandarin Oriental.

THE DAY OF.

and Seema reserved a couples massage right before they walked into the spa!

___________________________________________________________________________________

One other minor point: if you found yourself in need of  a not so intimidating chocolate souffle recipe like Nya, would you go to a bookstore on Valentine's Day and brave the shoppers to buy a cookbook? If only there was some other way in 2023...

🔌💻🖨️

• Like 1
  • LOL 19
On 7/28/2023 at 8:25 PM, realityplease said:

This is NOT going to be good, no matter how the writers try to cram this down. Just as no one bought Miranda with Che.  The writers agenda isn't matching the viewers - there's a lot of nostalgia viewing going on - and disappointment that it's not really clicking.  The fun, humor, humanity is gone.

It's MPK engaging in public masturbation.  And sadly, lots of us watching him do it.  It's yet another car crash we just can't turn away from. 

• Like 4
On 7/28/2023 at 10:53 PM, Bunnyette said:

Aiden should’ve told Carrie “you had your chance, too bad, so sad”!

Yes, but he wouldn’t because he’s a decent person.

I just don’t understand why the show couldn’t leave well enough alone with Aidan instead of breaking up his marriage and family for this. I agree that any other ex would have better—Berger merited more closure than Carrie.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just don’t understand why the show couldn’t leave well enough alone with Aidan instead of breaking up his marriage and family for this. I agree that any other ex would have better—Berger merited more closure than Carrie.

Heck, I'd rather see Carrie run into Jazz Guy again than Round Three with Aiden.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, greekmom said:

Lifetime NYC bar patron here.  I've always worked in Manhattan, and if Steve has had the same bar for 30 years, through recessions and COVID, in real life I'd have been there, Steve's would be famous and a NY fixture.  Actual tourist reviews on Yelp like "OMG we went to Steve's for beers and burgers, just the place to go by Lincoln Center like everyone says!!"  NY Post Page 6:  "Leo DiCaprio and newest model GF spotted in the back room at Steve's!!!"

Steve himself would be more well known in NYC than the dipshit billionaires on the show.  Brady would already know how to make a mean cocktail.  They'd be wearing merch.  Instead Steve goes to "the bar" like he's going to go mop floors.

• Like 18
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was just coming here to say exactly that.  She has more unfinished business with Berger than with Aidan.  Her breakup with Aidan was pretty final even though they met again in the movie on a better note.  In fact the meeting in the movie could serve as the reunion that smoothed things over somewhat and provided more closure.  They really didn't need any more than that.  Breaking up on a post-it, while pretty cad-ish, was more open-ended and begs for some kind of reunion to either wrap things up with them for good or start them up again, perhaps for the better.  Besides, I like Ron Livingston and liked them better together on SATC.

• Like 10

Is Aiden still Steve’s partner in the bar? I can’t remember if the original show ended with him still as a “silent partner” or if that was ended at some point. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 7/29/2023 at 8:01 AM, Adgirl said:

Poor Miranda that was the first time she'd seen what a real New York apartment looks like.

She has a hermes blanket on her single bed in Nayas, that is not someone who knows the struggle of the other 99%

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, T Summer said:

and Seema reserved a couples massage right before they walked into the spa!

At least in terms of the spa, is there really a huge demand for massages on Valentine's Day?  I guess I've just never found the idea particularly romantic.  

7 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

Is Aiden still Steve’s partner in the bar? I can’t remember if the original show ended with him still as a “silent partner” or if that was ended at some point. 

I think he was still a "silent partner" when the show ended.  I figured it was mostly just a partnership because Aiden invested money, and at some point after 20 or so years, Steve has paid him back. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
44 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

At least in terms of the spa, is there really a huge demand for massages on Valentine's Day?  I guess I've just never found the idea particularly romantic.

Couples massages and spa services are big on Valentine’s Day. At least in my social circle. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Couples massages and spa services are big on Valentine’s Day. At least in my social circle. 

oh... and on top of all that mentioned above, Aiden fully intended to just get a hotel room. 🙄

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, T Summer said:

oh... and on top of all that mentioned above, Aiden fully intended to just get a hotel room. 🙄

So where was Aiden lodging in Manhattan if not in a hotel room already?

The writing on this show is beyond whack.

• Like 7
42 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Maybe he's bunking in at the Brady household, now that it's just the fellas! 😋'

just kidding.

• LOL 7

Just tuning in now, been on vacation.  Haven’t had time to read thru all the posts, sorry if this is repetitive.  

So, now in their ongoing effort to make us like Che, Che adopts a puppy!  Che used to work at a vet’s office!  ( “didn’t clean out your locker?”  Do vet techs get lockers at work?  Is it a department store? Are you required to change into your scrubs when you get there?  So many questions with this hack dialogue).  Anyway, the less said about this development, the better.  I guess Che now has an excuse to stay in town, and in the show.  

Miranda:  this plot was funny.  Doesn’t know if she is a lesbian because she’s only dated Che, who is non-binary.  Her apparent new appreciation of curry-lingus notwithstanding.  Ok, sure.  Thought this was funny.  Instead of guy-of-the-week, we get gal-of-the-week.  Nice to see Diana, another Younger alum.   Both shows film in NY, so it makes sense they’d draw from the same pool of actors.

Charlotte- acting like a crazy person about Rock/Richard Burton/Insta.  Totally called the marijuana plot as soon as she started showing symptoms after eating the brownie.  Glad she’s going back to work, though that was also predictable as soon as Victor Garber showed up.

Carrie- glad they didn’t go for a one-episode cameo for Aiden BUT- what are they going  to do, date but he never goes in her house?  Unrealistic that the physical place means that much to him, sorry, not buying it.  He needs to go to her house.  Also, wouldn’t Carrie have been given the NAME of the restaurant and not just some address?  Especially in Manhattan, where addresses don’t really correspond to streets easily?  Give me a break.  Totally contrived.  And Aiden also would’ve given her a working phone number to text just in case.  Nobody just emails anymore.  That’s the first thing anyone does when they agree to meet up.  I know, I’ve been in this exact situation with an ex.  He gave me the name of the restaurant, the address, AND a phone number in case I got lost.  (I got lost).

Lisa- glad to see her in some kind of plot, even though it’s one that could easily have been written for Charlotte or Miranda (It WAS written for Miranda, see, e.g., when Brady was having sex in her house).

And, finally, the award for New Diverse Character of the Week who Gets No Plot (NDCWGNP)(tm) goes to….Nya, who…makes. A.  Soufflé.

Runner up- Seema, who….yells at a receptionist.  Runner-up only because it’s well-written and funny, at least.  

Postscript:  the whole thing with Anthony was hilarious, though I doubt he would really fire bakery guy(s) just for doing steroids.  Totally contrived.  Who cares how wholesome a guy needs to be to deliver bread/appear on TV?  The moms in the audience can’t tell he’s on steroids just by looking.  They just wanted to introduce the new possible love interest for him.  (Again with this hack writing - you can see the wheels turning).  Also, Drew Barrymore and her talk show seem to feature in a lot of shows as a cameo.  (I can’t remember where, but I’ve seen this recently). Does anyone watch her actual talk show?  Is it still even on?  

• Like 2
On 7/29/2023 at 3:01 AM, Adgirl said:

Sigh I thought Aidan was boring back in the day and I wasn't excited to see him this time either.  Was it me or did he look AI generated? I always preferred Big to Aidan. Big was New York

I loved Seema's rant.

I had to ff'd through every scene of the Goldenblatt family. I can't take how nasty Charlotte's kids are and how needy she is. I get that she is struggling to adjust to their growing up but turning them into assholes just makes their segments unwatchable. Is the actor that plays Harry ok? He seems a bit fragile.

Lisa needs to give Charlotte some parenting lessons!  And Harry needs some too.

• Like 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I wondered the same thing. Did he take the train in for one night? Did he think the date would end up back at Carrie's and he would spend the night? 

10 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

If it was just an occasional thing it wouldn't be a big deal but it's every episode. If it's so glaring it has viewers talking about it then yeah the writing is whack. I'm not TV writer but I do know most writers come up with an outline of what the episode is going to be about.  Then you write a script.  But as others have said a lot of this dialogue seems to be written by AI. It's taking the outline and using it to get from point A to point B but it's leaving things out.  So they wanted Aidan to freak out about going into Carrie's apartment.  They could have still had that scene and added one line of dialogue of Carrie asking Aidan to come in before he heads t back to his hotel.  That's it.  

18 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I have a feeling the AJLT writers have no idea Aiden ever was partners with Steve.

Or even knows Steve.  If something from the SATC universe doesn't fit what AJLT wants to tell it doesn't exist.

On 7/30/2023 at 2:29 AM, Yeah No said:

This entire series so far has been about force-fitting plots and characters that don't fit into the fabric of this universe because the writers and/or producers have pet topics and agendas they want to put forward whether or not they make sense in the scheme of these people's lives.  This is just another glaring example of that.  It's so force-fit it doesn't even make any realistic sense whatsoever.   

Yes as @TakomaSnark said the writing is whack.

I feel like sooner rather than later AJLT is going to be used as an example of a show trying to check all the boxes of inclusivity and representation and failing at it.  It's not enough to just show something or someone.  You have to write a story that makes sense and is respectful.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 5
13 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If it was just an occasional thing it wouldn't be a big deal but it's every episode. If it's so glaring it has viewers talking about it then yeah the writing is whack. I'm not TV writer but I do know most writers come up with an outline of what the episode is going to be about.  Then you write a script.  But as others have said a lot of this dialogue seems to be written by AI. It's taking the outline and using it to get from point A to point B but it's leaving things out.  So they wanted Aidan to freak out about going into Carrie's apartment.  They could have still had that scene and added one line of dialogue of Carrie asking Aidan to come in before he heads t back to his hotel.  That's it.  

And shows keep 'bibles' of plot and character details precisely for the purposes of ensuring continuity over the years. Did MPK throw it in a fire after the second movie?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

And shows keep 'bibles' of plot and character details precisely for the purposes of ensuring continuity over the years. Did MPK throw it in a fire after the second movie?

I used to watch soap operas.  And their bibles were legendary.  They kept track of everything that happened from the beginning of the show going back decades.  When a new writer would come on and changed something fans knew it didn't make sense and voiced their displeasure.  Shows that had the same behind the scenes people benefitted because they knew the history of the show and was less likely to change something.  But MPK who has been with these characters for over 20 years is a hack.  He doesn't care about the show. He doesn't care about the characters.  And he most certainly doesn't care about the viewers.  Any number of us here could write better than him and his typists.

• Like 5
On 7/27/2023 at 8:50 PM, luna1122again said:

So we've had 2 members of the Younger cast show up so far. Can Sutton Foster or Debi Mazar be far behind? 

Debi Mazar was in the post-it episode of SATC. But of course, this doesn't preclude her playing an entirely different character on AJLT, as we've seen from her Younger co-star.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Debi Mazar was in the post-it episode of SATC. But of course, this doesn't preclude her playing an entirely different character on AJLT, as we've seen from her Younger co-star.

You know, I thought that too, and started to say that in my post, but then I looked it up, and see no listing for her in that episode, or any SATC episodes. Maybe the Jersey chick who wanted to beat up Samantha just LOOKED like Debi Mazar? I think it's this woman, Kim Director. She definitely has a similar vibe. 

kimd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
20 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

You know, I thought that too, and started to say that in my post, but then I looked it up, and see no listing for her in that episode, or any SATC episodes. Maybe the Jersey chick who wanted to beat up Samantha just LOOKED like Debi Mazar? I think it's this woman, Kim Director. She definitely has a similar vibe. 

kimd.jpg

Maybe?? I have ALWAYS thought it was Debi Mazar!

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I used to watch soap operas.  And their bibles were legendary.  They kept track of everything that happened from the beginning of the show going back decades.  When a new writer would come on and changed something fans knew it didn't make sense and voiced their displeasure.  Shows that had the same behind the scenes people benefitted because they knew the history of the show and was less likely to change something.  But MPK who has been with these characters for over 20 years is a hack.  He doesn't care about the show. He doesn't care about the characters.  And he most certainly doesn't care about the viewers.  Any number of us here could write better than him and his typists.

I watch Doctor Who which has 60 years of canon and well as all the audio/books/spinoffs that people take VERY seriously. You can just imagine. The last head writer messed with a lot of things, ignoring the history and my husband and I stopped watching. 

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I feel like sooner rather than later AJLT is going to be used as an example of a show trying to check all the boxes of inclusivity and representation and failing at it.  It's not enough to just show something or someone.  You have to write a story that makes sense and is respectful.

As I had mentioned Doctor Who before, the last writer/showrunner, pretty much did the same. We tried watching and were able to call "now this character will be this or that" and they were for the most part, poorly written. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
On 7/27/2023 at 10:38 PM, Asp Burger said:

Yeah, when Charlotte expressed that she thought she was having a heart attack, I wondered if we were going to get a very well-concealed Kyle MacLachlan cameo. The eventual explanation for Charlotte's distress was a big shrug, because what she was complaining about and how she was acting didn't seem like a plausible effect of THC.  

Seemed perfectly plausible to me.  I've had times where I've smoked too much and it's caused me to have a panic attack.  If someone did not know they had ingested THC, I can imagine the feeling being particularly concerning.  The marijuana and marijuana products of today are very strong, and you're not supposed to eat the entire thing.  It looked like Charlotte ate a whole brownie.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Miss Bones said:

Seemed perfectly plausible to me.  I've had times where I've smoked too much and it's caused me to have a panic attack.  If someone did not know they had ingested THC, I can imagine the feeling being particularly concerning.  The marijuana and marijuana products of today are very strong, and you're not supposed to eat the entire thing.  It looked like Charlotte ate a whole brownie.

And those brownies were LARGE. There was once a time when I didn't use cannabis much if at all, and I went to a party where the only food was a very small pan of brownies. I went for one, and the host practically left marks on the floor getting it away from me, to my bewilderment. It wasn't until later that I realized he had saved me from a very unpleasant evening. 

It's obvious that Lily didn't know they were hash brownies, else she would never have flippantly told Charlotte that "[friend] already brought brownies and there are too many already." I wonder if, had Lily known, would she have had some? It's easy to get mad at a 17 year old kid for using cannabis, but that assumes facts not in evidence--we need to be mad at the kid who brought them, before we get mad at Lily.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

And those brownies were LARGE. There was once a time when I didn't use cannabis much if at all, and I went to a party where the only food was a very small pan of brownies. I went for one, and the host practically left marks on the floor getting it away from me, to my bewilderment. It wasn't until later that I realized he had saved me from a very unpleasant evening. 

It's obvious that Lily didn't know they were hash brownies, else she would never have flippantly told Charlotte that "[friend] already brought brownies and there are too many already." I wonder if, had Lily known, would she have had some? It's easy to get mad at a 17 year old kid for using cannabis, but that assumes facts not in evidence--we need to be mad at the kid who brought them, before we get mad at Lily.

I had pot brownies once and felt that it hit me a lot harder than the few times I smoked pot. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 7/28/2023 at 4:45 PM, Cementhead said:

I don't watch the show but I do read the comments so I can keep up with what further destruction they are doing to the legacy of SATC this week and it keeps sucking to hear that Harry & Charlotte ended up with such shitty brats for kids.  That pisses me off. 

IMO, they really aren't as bad as some are making them out to be.  Teenagers can be a-holes sometimes. 🤷‍♀️ YMMV

I say this as someone without kids, but I definitely had my moments as a teen.

15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I had pot brownies once and felt that it hit me a lot harder than the few times I smoked pot. 

Yes, edibles can be worse because they sneak up on you, rather than actual weed which immediately hits!

Edited by Miss Bones
added more
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 7/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, Bunnyette said:

Aiden should’ve told Carrie “you had your chance, too bad, so sad”!

But Aiden was the one who initiated contact with Carrie.  Aiden is the one who read her book.  Aiden is the one who chose 2/14 to meet.    Aiden is the one who ruined a perfect exit line by walking it back and telling her they can go to a hotel.   Seems like if he was REALLY in NYC for a meeting, he would have already had a  hotel.  

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

But Aiden was the one who initiated contact with Carrie.  Aiden is the one who read her book.  Aiden is the one who chose 2/14 to meet.    Aiden is the one who ruined a perfect exit line by walking it back and telling her they can go to a hotel.   Seems like if he was REALLY in NYC for a meeting, he would have already had a  hotel.  

Well, Carrie initiated the first email. But the rest, yeah. 

• Like 2