Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Evan is bisexual. This isn't a phase (not trying to come off in a condescending way here or anything, wanted to make it clear as a fellow queer person myself- lesbian here). Here's an article where she talks about how Ellen Page inspired her to come out. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/20/evan-rachel-wood-on-her-bisexuality-and-our-divided-world-listen-to-your-opponent.html

As for Isabelle Huppert- go watch her in The Piano Teacher or the 130 other things she's done over the years.

The Chabrol movies.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because after almost ten years of jokes about being childless and single she ended up with a decent looking television actor? I mean no offense to Theroux but he's like Mr. Jennifer Aniston who herself is and still remains mostly relevant because she was once Mrs. Brad Pitt.

It's not like she was a star of one of the most popular shows of all time or anything. Yes, tabloids still love to talk about the Brad/Angelina/Jennifer saga but eight times out of ten when she's been on the cover of magazines and being interviewed it is not because she was once Mrs. Brad Pitt. It's about Friends or her movies or her current marriage. She's a lot more than that relationship.

But, yeah, in terms of that sordid mess, you could kind of say she came out the winner because the man who cheated on her and the woman he cheated with, not only broke up, but broke up in a highly ugly way. Meanwhile, she's happily married (for now anyway.) So, yeah, winner.

• Love 20

Maybe Denzel wasn't smiling because he knows how it is people win these awards. His words:

"Freddy Fields invited me to my first Hollywood Foreign Press luncheon. He said, 'You're gonna take pictures with everybody, you're gonna hold up the magazines, take the pictures, and you're gonna win the award.... I won that year.'"

Jang, Meena. "Golden Globes: Denzel Washington Accepts Cecil B. DeMille Award." The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media, 10 Jan. 2016. Web.

I saw Laura Dern in the audience. She was once engaged to Billy Bob Thorton. He cheated on her when he hooked up with Angelina Jolie. Angelina Jolie and Billy married. They divorced. She married Brad Pitt. Tonight, Pitt, Dern, and Thorton were there. One thing about these awards shows, I can play a game of of Who Dated Who? when it gets boring.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I was surprised, I thought everyone was saying Portman would win.  I guess it's not that surprising... The Night Manager won 3 acting awards.  I loved the Night Manager.  But it got shut out at the Emmys.  I was very surprised that Olivia Colman beat Thandie Newton, Hugh Laurie beat John Lithgoe, and most of all, Tom Hiddleston beating Courtney B Vance.

Then I thought some more and figured that The Night Manager is exactly the kind of international production that the Globe voters love.

It is. HFA are also more appreciative of these type of productions in my mind. The Night Manager was an excellent thriller and had such an elegance to it, was so well done and far from ordinary. And it sure as heck doesn't hurt that it was based on a John le Carre novel.  I wish it had gotten more attention in the US, I personally was hooked from the first episode, but it wasn't boom boom action action and I think the somewhat slower build hurt it here. Maybe it wouldn't have if it had been a Netflix release it all at once kind of thing.

Also, and this is just a guess here - HFA being who they are - maybe they aren't nearly as caught up in the OJ stuff. I mean, I'm not watching much of anything OJ related because I feel like been there done that, there's still quite a fascination in the US going off of FX series and ESPN documentary, but I'd be surprised if internationally it holds the same appeal. And I'm definitely doubting that they watched the trial like the rest of us to be so impressed with the performances being so spot on. 

Beyond thrilled that Atlanta and Donald Glover won, as that was the most surprising superb and excellently written show I've watched all year, and that Tracee Ellis Ross is finally getting the wider recognition she deserves, which I feel this is long overdue. Moonlight winning at the end of the night was great, but not surprising for me, since that's what so many were predicting heading into the night from what I read. 

I've clearly got to see La La Land sooner than later. Love Emma and I've loved Ryan since his MMC days, a once an embarrassing admission that now just looks like I am able to spot quality talent very early on :). 

• Love 1

I also love when I get the opportunity to watch the Globe live here in Australia. I find it usually when of the quicker award shows. This year it started off quick but then for some reason it seemed to drag in the middle and then sped up at the end.

With award seasons, I tend to only focus on the music categories and the animated categories. I was stoked that Zootopia won, even though I was hoping for a Kubo upset. And considering the love for La La Land, I was expecting it to swoop the music awards. You can't say a musical is Best Picture ad then deny it the music awards.

I haven't seen La La Land yet, and living in the 'wilderness' I will probably have to wait until the home release but going into the wards season I told myself I would be content if any song beat the Moana songs (only because as a Disney freak, I have been a bit disappointed with those songs and felt the Oscars were just going to honour Hamilton in giving it to Lin-Manuel). So I was happy when another musical was getting buzz with it's songs.

City of Star is just so...I don't know...drab. It doesn't excite me. It reminds me of the love given to Falling Slowly from Once, I don't understand it, it may be because of the singing. I watched what looked like the clip from the movie for City of Stars and it even disappointed me because it doesn't even look like the way it's presented in the movie it progresses the plot or enhances the storytelling. A key feature according to the Academy for a song to be deemed worthy. For those who have seen the movie, what am I missing with City of Stars.

I was also annoyed with many of the acceptance speeches from the gang of La La Land. I get what they were saying but the way it came across it was like this movie musical of theirs was some new concept. I really felt it was a massive slap in the face to the animation industry who have been churning out original movie musicals for years even when Hollywood (and the public) thought they were uncool.

And am I correct in thinking that if Ryan Gosling wins at the Oscars, he will become the first male to win Best Actor for a musical? My scan of Academy history indicates the last male to get an Oscar for a musical was Joel Grey's Supporting Actor in Caberet, but my knowledge of older movies is very limited so there may have been a male there. Looking through the history also taught me that the Academy is more accepting of women getting rewarded for musicals than men.

I missed Meryl's speech because I was getting dinner. I'm watching the replay right now and it is great. But, damn, Vince Vaughn was shooting daggers at Meryl. Mel Gibson just looked confused, lol. I love Viggo Mortensen and I hope his serious face during her speech was because he was moved and not because he was pissed. I love Viggo too much to think of the alternative.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

And am I correct in thinking that if Ryan Gosling wins at the Oscars, he will become the first male to win Best Actor for a musical? My scan of Academy history indicates the last male to get an Oscar for a musical was Joel Grey's Supporting Actor in Caberet, but my knowledge of older movies is very limited so there may have been a male there. Looking through the history also taught me that the Academy is more accepting of women getting rewarded for musicals than men.

Rex Harrison winning for My Fair Lady, Yul Brynner for The King and I and Jimmy Cagney for Yankee Doodle Dandy come to mind.   More recently, what about Jamie Foxx for Ray?

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I LOVED Meryl's speech. Loved it. I wanted to stand up and applaud in my living room.

Takes unimaginable courage for a millionaire to stand in front of a room full of people who agree with her and condescend to poor people.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It's not like she was a star of one of the most popular shows of all time or anything. Yes, tabloids still love to talk about the Brad/Angelina/Jennifer saga but eight times out of ten when she's been on the cover of magazines and being interviewed it is not because she was once Mrs. Brad Pitt. It's about Friends or her movies or her current marriage. She's a lot more than that relationship.

She was most certainly a huge star because of Friends. But that show ended in 2004. And she gets appreciably more attention than her co-stars have since the end of Friends. Now, maybe that would have happened anyway. She's had a good movie career. But she's not known to headline movie blockbusters anymore. But she remains on the covers of magazines and a regular part of Entertainment and Fashion News.

I think there is good reason to wonder how much attention she'd still be getting because of her Friends success in 2016-17, over a decade after her show has been off the air and being cast more often in smaller movie rolls than in starring ones at this point for the last 5 years or so. I think this can be done without criticizing Jen and Justin though. Think it's something you can legitimately wonder and still like Jen.

I like Jen a lot, have since her days on Molloy with Mayim Bialik and Camp Cucamonga (don't judge!).  And I personally don't think she'd be getting anywhere near the attention she does today had she not been married to Brad, but I also still think she'd be getting more than her Friends co-stars. Since I feel she came away from the show with the most upside and basically looks like a very slightly older version of her 20-something self, something Courteney Cox cannot lay claim to remotely. And I've liked her movie choices more often than not, but again, she hasn't had been lighting up the box office in a starring role recently. And if we compare with Courteney - who had a marriage to an well-known actor from an well-known acting family with a somewhat public breakup, dated her series co-star soon after and he left the show before it ended after they broke up, and dated and got engaged soon after to someone else and has broken up with her fiancee in the last year - Courteney isn't getting even a tenth of the attention Jen gets going to the grocery store. If I wasn't a Cougar Town fan, I may not have even heard about the post-David relationships. So, yeah I think it's okay to wonder about Jen's celebrity this far removed from her Friends days. But I remain happy for any success she has, and wondering about these things doesn't change that.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

I missed Meryl's speech because I was getting dinner. I'm watching the replay right now and it is great. But, damn, Vince Vaughn was shooting daggers at Meryl. Mel Gibson just looked confused, lol. I love Viggo Mortensen and I hope his serious face during her speech was because he was moved and not because he was pissed. I love Viggo too much to think of the alternative.

Vince is a right wing asshole (the asshole thing is my opinion BTW) and Mel is just a clueless person so there's that.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

And I personally don't think she'd be getting anywhere near the attention she does today had she not been married to Brad, but I also still think she'd be getting more than her Friends co-stars.

I think her high profile relationship with Brad, and especially the way it ended, elevated her above the other Friends actors when it comes to notoriety and being followed by the tabloids. I would definitely say her relationship with Brad added to her fame, but the comment I was responding to basically made it seem (to me) that Jen wouldn't be relevant at all if it weren't for that relationship, which I just don't think is the case. 

• Love 3

Man, Tom Hiddleston keeps on being awkward.  That was one misguided speech IMO. Way to make everything about you and pat yourself on the back. It went on forever as well. You could see that people in the audience were trying to keep from rolling their eyes at him as well LOL.

Not that many surprises, were there? Huppert winning against Portman might be a big one, if it turns into a bigger trend. Who knows, though, it's the Globes.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Rex Harrison winning for My Fair Lady, Yul Brynner for The King and I and Jimmy Cagney for Yankee Doodle Dandy come to mind.   More recently, what about Jamie Foxx for Ray?

Thank you for that. Not sure how I missed all them. Although I don't count people in music biopics as being in a musical. But that's just me, to me there is a difference between something like Evita and La Vie En Rose. Even though the Golden Globes lump hem both into the Musical category.

5 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Also, and this is just a guess here - HFA being who they are - maybe they aren't nearly as caught up in the OJ stuff. I mean, I'm not watching much of anything OJ related because I feel like been there done that, there's still quite a fascination in the US going off of FX series and ESPN documentary, but I'd be surprised if internationally it holds the same appeal. And I'm definitely doubting that they watched the trial like the rest of us to be so impressed with the performances being so spot on. 

That is a really good point that I had not considered.  Truthfully I don't give a lot of thought to who exactly is voting on these things, but if you didn't live through it, it most likely will not resonate with you as much as someone who did.  To someone who doesn't know, they could be like "well that was a good job but so was Hugh Laurie." 

While I was like "did Christopher Darden play himself?"

• Love 3

Meryl's speech was awesome! I loved what she said and was moved by it. And was glad that she won the life time achievement award. The video really showed her range from comedy, musicals to dramas.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Did not know Brad Pitt was a producer of Moonlight.  The man knows how to pick them.  Of course, he's now single again, right when the true love of his life, George Clooney, finally ties the knot!

Damn, Moonlight better get in my area soon.  It looks fantastic!

Brad Pitt's production company B12 Films has been behind some of the best movies these past few years with 12 Years a Slave and Selma. I give him props. He's willing to put his money and celebrity behind telling stories about people of colour without having to make himself the star. (Yes I know he had a small part in 12 Years a Slave, but still he certainly didn't try to have the film centre around his character or anything so props.)

9 hours ago, laffytaffy997 said:

I've never even heard of Sing Street, but just from that small clip makes me really wanna see it!

It's on Netflix and totally worth checking out.

Hiddleston's speech was by far the most embarrassing thing of the night and this was a night when two people called a movie Hidden Fences. That speech was so self-congratulatory and disgusting. He was playing at being super-important because actual important people enjoy his show. If he has any shame (and after his summer fling with Taylor and his I <3 TS tank top moment it's possible he has none at all) he's watching that back this morning and shaking his head at his choices.

• Love 6

Denzel had his Troy face on last night and he looked like the GGs were beneath him and he was waiting for the Oscars.  I was glad that Viola won and he didn't.

I was in another room when Brad Pitt was on and I missed him.  Damn.

8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I wouldn't consider Ray to be a musical in the same sense that those other movies are.  Ray is a biographical drama that happens to be about a musician.  The other three movies are true musicals because music and choreography replace much of the dialogue and are actually part of the plotline, not merely incidental to it.

• Love 6

I am a huge Meryl Streep fan and am very fond of Tom Hiddleston but I have ALWAYS hated when stars and celebrities get on a soapbox with their personal beliefs at an awards show.  Conservative or liberal or moderate -- doesn't matter -- it drives me nuts and makes me either find the mute button or take a bathroom break.  Yes, freedom of speech and all that, but it is too sanctimonious.  

• Love 13

(Yes I know he had a small part in 12 Years a Slave, but still he certainly didn't try to have the film centre around his character or anything so props.)

And that was to ensure that the film would be seen because studios weren't exactly rushing to support a film about slavery.

I would definitely say her relationship with Brad added to her fame, but the comment I was responding to basically made it seem (to me) that Jen wouldn't be relevant at all if it weren't for that relationship, which I just don't think is the case. 

Yes, Jennifer Aniston was on Friends, a very popular, much beloved television show. So was Matthew Perry, Courtney Cox, Matt LeBlanc and Lisa Kudrow. And Jerry Seinfeld was the star and creator of one of the most beloved shows as well. None of these people have been at the forefront of tabloids and media since their show went off the air like Aniston has. Now yes, to her credit she's been in a number of films that have done very well but she's hardly ever carried those films on her own.

The difference between her and these people is she was once married to Brad Pitt, who like him or not is legitimately an A List star in Hollywood and was later dumped by him for Angelina Jolie. People can disagree but yeah, I'd say a large part of why Aniston remained relevant long after Friends ended is because of that. And why not, when the people ate it up for years. The public, and by that token, the media, wouldn't let her move on from that narrative. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, laffytaffy997 said:

I've never even heard of Sing Street, but just from that small clip makes me really wanna see it!

I caught it on Netflix not too long ago and it was really cute. And not in that cheesy, cloying way. Just a feel good film.

12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I LOVED "Sing Street."  It's on Netflix if people haven't seen it.  Well worth the watch.

I just found out this movie is at several of my local libraries. I'm going to pick it up this week-end; it looks a million times better than Blah, Blah Land.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Denzel had his Troy face on last night and he looked like the GGs were beneath him and he was waiting for the Oscars.  I was glad that Viola won and he didn't.

I was in another room when Brad Pitt was on and I missed him.  Damn.

Brad was hot. So hot. 

And did Denzel turn into an asshole, or was he still in character? I've heard him recently in interviews, and he does not come across as a nice person. In fact, he sounds like a grumpy old man. Maybe things are going on down below that are messing with his manhood. 

11 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I always wanted Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to get together, but seeing as George is now a married man, Brad and Sandra would make a lovely couple. Angelina's head exploding would be an added bonus.

Sandra has her man, Bryan Randall, a photographer.  

Sandra-Bullock-boyfriend.jpg

11 minutes ago, topanga said:

Brad was hot. So hot. 

And did Denzel turn into an asshole, or was he still in character? I've heard him recently in interviews, and he does not come across as a nice person. In fact, he sounds like a grumpy old man. Maybe things are going on down below that are messing with his manhood. 

I think he has a resting grumpy face.  He looked bored to me, more than anything.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, topanga said:

Brad was hot. So hot. 

I did get a chance to see a clip of Brad this morning.  Dayum. 

I do wonder if Denzel is an ass in real life.

Sandra Bullock's boyfriend.  Dayum.

• Love 1

He has never come off as very engaging in late night shows, but neither do Nicole Kidman, Harrison Ford, or Robert De Niro. Maybe he's an introvert. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

I wouldn't consider Ray to be a musical in the same sense that those other movies are.  Ray is a biographical drama that happens to be about a musician.  The other three movies are true musicals because music and choreography replace much of the dialogue and are actually part of the plotline, not merely incidental to it.

I agree with you, which is why I listed Ray separately from the other three classic, traditional musicals and phrased it as a question leaving the decision up to the person who had posed the question.  

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

He has never come off as very engaging in late night shows, but neither do Nicole Kidman, Harrison Ford, or Robert De Niro. Maybe he's an introvert. 

That could be the case. But I can tell that Robert DeNiro is an introvert and rather shy. On late night shows, he cracks a few jokes and tries to engage with the host, but it's obvious that he's slightly uncomfortable. And it makes me like him even more. 

Denzel, as much as I love him as an actor, just seems like a jerk.

• Love 7

He has never come off as very engaging in late night shows, but neither do Nicole Kidman, Harrison Ford, or Robert De Niro.

Oddly enough, Kidman's appearance on Fallon when she called him out on the date that wasn't was probably the most relaxed I've seen her in ages. 

• Love 5

Well the worst part of Hiddleston was that he started the speech by praising aid workers - a thing people of all political bents can agree with - but then it veered into "...And these aid workers loved 'The Night Manager.'"  Tacky.

Lina Lamont said it best:   If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'. Bless you all.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Please point me to the condescension toward poor people in Meryl Streep's remarks.  

Eh, let me start with that stupid "NFL and MMA" crack (p.s.: Dear Mer: Christian Okoye? Nigerian).

If only she could have given a speech at the Democrat convention, things might have been different on Election Day.  Wait...

• Love 4

I loved Meryl's speech but the crack about Football and MMA wasn't really necessary. Those people work hard and entertain too. It isn't lesser because it isn't "art." MMA isn't my thing, but I enjoy football and film. Both have their place.  Still, I get what her overall point was and I agree with the bulk of it.

I want to weigh in on the Denzel thing because I do love him as an actor. I don't think he's the warmest person. I do think he's introverted and serious. I also think he's got enough good friends in the industry that he must warm up to people over time. (Like I don't believe Viola would consider him a friend if he was a jerk.) So he might be an asshole some of the time especially with people he doesn't know or isn't close to but he also is obviously a caring and good guy too.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, rallymantis said:

Eh, let me start with that stupid "NFL and MMA" crack (p.s.: Dear Mer: Christian Okoye? Nigerian).

If only she could have given a speech at the Democrat convention, things might have been different on Election Day.  Wait...

I, too, thought the cracks at both the NFL and the MMA were a bit out of line, especially because I lost my collective shit when the Packers beat the Giants. However, as a freelance journalist who has written about the arts, pop culture and entertainment from around the globe, I can't help but puff up with pride and gratitude over Ms. Streep's speech. And considering most of the of the broadcast was a total snoozefest, I'd like to thank her for perking me up a bit.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Please point me to the condescension toward poor people in Meryl Streep's remarks.  I heard her talking about the need for leaders to show empathy and respect for all people.

I didn't hear any condescending remarks either. Her plea was directly to the person, she wasn't questioning why people voted for him.

1 hour ago, rallymantis said:

Rich people enjoy watching football too. ;)

46 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I loved Meryl's speech but the crack about Football and MMA wasn't really necessary.

Yeah, the MMA one maybe she could have done without. But I do agree with her about football and I don't see anything wrong with it. There is too much football nowadays. Maybe not too much for the team's fans, but still. The fact that TNF maybe on its way out is a sign. 

The MMA director this morning invited Streep to be his VIP guest to the next MMA fight so she could see the hard work the athletes put into their training. If only everyone could be civil like that. 

I don't fault a lot of people thinking Hollywood is in its own bubble. I think we are all in our certain bubbles anyway. But what I love most about Streep's speech is the shout out to the actors' humble beginnings. Yes all of them are millionaires, but they worked hard to get there too. And that's the American Dream for everyone anyway, right? Or at least what everyone is pushing for - work hard, get rich. 

EDIT: Can I just add too, that I admire Streep's attention span and attention to details? Damn, that was a long show, and lots of schmoozing and boozing going around, but she remembers enough to reference Hugh Laurie's earlier speech that night, and knowing backgrounds and beginnings of her fellow actors? I know a lot of people complain too much about her being nominated a lot of times (but only won much fewer times, surprisingly), but I can see why she's so beloved in the industry.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

He was friendly when I met him, but that was decades ago, when he was in St. Elsewhere.

• Love 1

Denzel was very funny on the Dan LeBatard show a week or so ago.  Maybe he's a football fan.

But seriously, if Meryl doesn't feel like football and MMA are art, that's her opinion and she is welcome to it. It doesn't hurt my feelings.  Besides, I am a HUMONGOUS football fan and it is super hard work and top-tier players are very talented, but I don't know if I myself would say it is art.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Anna Kendrick had a great way of distinguishing musicals from movies with music when she was discussing Pitch Perfect on the Tonight Show with Stephen Colbert (I don't know if she originated it).  She said in true "musical" the songs drive the plot forward.  In a movie with music (like Pitch Perfect), the characters know they are singing, and the plot stops. 

• Love 8

And did Denzel turn into an asshole, or was he still in character? I've heard him recently in interviews, and he does not come across as a nice person.

Long ago, they filmed a good portion of The Pelican Brief in parts of my office building and on the front plaza (Navy Memorial).  He fell in love with a little African art store down the block and got his lunch at Jack's Deli.  It became almost impossible not to run into him.  And no, I was not stalking :-)  He was friendly and outgoing and after having been in line and/or the elevator with him more than a few times he actually started to greet me first, even the cliched "we've got to stop meeting like this."  I liked him, seemed like a nice guy (okay, I loved him - he was so effin' hot.) Just a stroll down memory lane for a bit there. *sigh*  Though I guess none of that precludes him from now being a grumpy old man.

Meryl Streep is amazing.

I've saved the Kristen Wiig / Steve Carell banter on YT.  I could not stop laughing; I want it in a folder for days when I need cheering up.  There have been more and more of those of late. (If only I could tear myself away from reading the news.)

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 20

Meryl's reference to MMA may be tied to the fact that Trump has connections to that lovely community (Google Trump and Fedor Emelianenko). He goes to their events when they're in NY. There was a Fresh Air episode on NPR discussing Trump's connection to Russia (Emelianenko is Russian) and it came up. Maybe Meryl heard the piece.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Do only poor people enjoy NFL and MMA?

Aw, honey -- I know that & you know that, but does she?

I didn't vote for the man, but I'm bored with all this piling on.  Careful research into that stupid flail he did reveals that it's a gesture he makes when he's mocking someone.  And the brunt of that particular slam? a NYT reporter -- hardly one of the powerless.

She co-signed Hugh Laurie's mindless diatribe against half his fan base.  I don't give a shit that these people have political opinions, and lump all conservatives together as some troglodyte mouth breathers, but I  would so enjoy tuning into an awards show, or an episode of The Middle, or visiting, say, a television website! without hearing about how evil is my personal political philosophy.

What a laugh that a major news website headlined Meryl's speech as "historical"!!  No: "historical" would've been Vince Vaughn jumping to his feet, saying, "I voted for Trump!", and flipping off the room.  Now, THAT would've been career suicide.

• Love 7