Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Church and State

• Start Topic

As the family girds themselves for an emotional funeral, Kendall finds himself at odds with Rava… and inopportune news from Jess. Later, Shiv tries to reposition herself within a new political landscape, as Kendall rallies supporters to his side.

Airdate: 05.21.2023

Rava was wrong to unilaterally decide the kids weren’t going to the funeral. That was their grandfather plus their father wanted them there. 

Ewan is a jerk. He doesn’t object enough to resign his board seat or not take millions from his brother, but he wants to be seen as so far above it all. He’s a hypocrite. 

Awwww Romulus. I think you are horrible in just about every way but you got to me tonight. 

Kendall at the end with Roman- Kendall seems to be trying to go full Logan. 

Perhaps the American CEO will be Greg.  In name only, with Mattson pulling all strings, despite what he said about not needing to be in the weeds.  

Tom is STILL talking about being so tired.  That has to mean something.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3

Wow, that was intense!

15 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

I think Rava had every right to keep the kids out of harm's way. What their usually disinterested father wanted wasn't reason enough to force them into a situation that they probably dreaded anyway.

Agreed. Them needing to be there seems kind of absurd. Not only did Logan never show much affection for the kids (he slapped Iverson nce), but Kendall and ATN are a big reason behind the danger. And Kendall's not taking any responsibility for the fear he's caused his own daughter.

15 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Ewan got up there and told the truth, and it was wonderful! Now Kendall is trying to be Logan 2.0; how long before he totally fucks that up.

That was amazing--and even more so because it wasn't a rant they were expecting. Kendall got applause, but of course he did--he was speaking to a cathedral full of rich mostly white people who got rich off Logan. 

13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The moment Roman walked out of the building, I was preparing for him to die. 

Me too. But it didn't get more perfect for Roman than being just walked over by protestors not bothering to recognize and attack him. He's always been very worm-like Meanwhile, his moment of pain is going viral and mocked.

13 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Kendall is trying to go full Logan, so we are back to the Kendall of the pilot. Which means Kendall is headed for a fall.

I thought he already proved he didn't have the "verve" Logan did. Nobdy would have been able to interupt and derail a discussin Menken was having with Logan. Kendall's big deal was blown up by...Greg. And then Shiv. And then probably a waiter with hors d'oeuvres.

• Like 11
  • LOL 11
4 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

Perhaps the American CEO will be Greg.  In name only, with Mattson

My money is on Gerri. She's tough, knows all the players, and is female. 

Or Rhea but that would be a weird callback two seasons later. 

My favorite moment-Frank and Karl lying to Shiv. And then checking in with each other. 

Oh and Jess walking away! Go Jess. Run.

I still hate Roman but Kieran got to me. He dug deep. That all felt so painfully real. I know that feeling of not wanting to believe your parent is in a box.

• Like 22
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1

And I did love getting to see Roman practice his speech perfectly. It was a very good speech.

Also I know he is terrible but mocking a person for having sincere feelings at a funeral is low. I am referring to the video. I know he is reaping what he has sown but the people mocking him are no better.

• Like 19
  • Love 2

That was the first time we got the full story on Logan and Ewan’s sister, right?  It looked like the kids didn’t know either.

Way to be a dick to your brother, Kendall.  Good job.

I wanted to hear Conner’s speech.  😆

• Like 22

Honestly, considering how much he hates him and everything he stood for, Ewan was actually kind of tame by his standards.  He took the time to help explain why Logan partially became the man he was due to his past and even admitted to loving him somewhat before he proceeded to rightfully tear into him and highlight all of the awfulness he has caused and will not doubt have a rippling effect in society going forward.  Well done!  Sure, it didn't work with this particular crowd, but I'm sure others will agree with you!

Totally not surprised that Roman's "pre-grieving" would come back to bite him, and sure enough, he melts down right before his eulogy.  Hard to feel too sorry for him after everything he did, but Kieran Culkin more than delivered: was uncomfortably realistic in a lot of ways.  Equally not surprised that people like Mencken would actually consider showing any emotion like that a weakness, so now it looks like Roman is back to the bottom of the sibling pile (hell, he might even be below Connor at this point.)  Not sure what is in store for him.  I honestly was wondering if he was hoping the protestors would kill him at the end.

Meanwhile, Kendall gives the eulogy instead and comes out smelling like roses with this lot, but it might actually be Shiv now who is back in the driver's seat, since Mencken seems to be liking the idea of allowing Lukas to acquire Waystar after-all, and then have Lukas install Shiv as the new CEO.  Of course, I noticed that we only have Lukas word that it is a done deal now and considering that apparently there was some kind of conversation between only him and Mencken, I have my suspicions that maybe Shiv still hasn't won this yet.  Again though, I'll really be surprised if any of the kids actually walk away with any form of victory.

Caroline finally returns to bring back her own brand of wealthy arrogance and sociopathic tendencies to the game, and Harriet Walter continues to own every frame she's in.  Also nice to see that Peter is still an awkward suck-up who is always trying to rub the right shoulders!

I wonder if Tom not being able to make it to the funeral and all of his talk about his lack of sleep is actually setting something else up for him?

Considering how crappy of a parent he has been, it's hard for me to really think Kendall has a leg to stand on against Rava taking the kids away from the city.  Especially since he was partially responsible for this chaos that surrounds them.

Kendall offering Colin a job is totally just him trying to make sure he doesn't mention what really happened to the dead waiter.

Biggest winner of the night might go to Jess for finally deciding that this is the time to bail.  Probably the right call, honestly.  But while she flees to hopefully better pastures, Hugo is more than willing to get deeper into that mud for Kendall!

Looks like the finale is going be all about the fate of Waystar on the surface, but I suspect it really is going to be about all of the kids at each other's throats, and seeing who will stand tall: if any.  Kind of tragic, because even now we occasionally see glimpses and moments of real love between them.  But each of them are so determine to be the next "Logan Roy" that they are not only hurting each other, but themselves in the process and I think they are destined to be fractured for good.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, deaja said:

Rava was wrong to unilaterally decide the kids weren’t going to the funeral. That was their grandfather plus their father wanted them there. 

Yeah, even though I think Kendall is the last person who should have custody of his kids, Rava really was out of line. 

19 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

I still hate Roman but Kieran got to me. He dug deep. That all felt so painfully real. I know that feeling of not wanting to believe your parent is in a box.

Roman deserved every bit of ridicule he got from his breakdown.  He's an awful person who deserves his comeuppance.  Kiernan did some great acting though. 

I really did like the moment with Marcia grasping Kerry's hand, and the show of support from Caroline and Logan's other mistress. 

• Like 10

I wonder if Tom not being able to make it to the funeral and all of his talk about his lack of sleep is actually setting something else up for him?

He went to their home to "lay down for a few hours and sleep." Perhaps he won't wake up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)

While Roman's breakdown was completely normal, him as a one percenter  going out and projecting his anger on the protesters proved he was a terrible human. I mean "no real person", right? His crappy decisions affect others but he will be just fine sleeping on his bed of money.

Kendall thinks he's Michael Corleone, assembling his henchmen. I fear he will fail, like he did the last 6 times he tried to take over. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Like 22
45 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

Tom is STILL talking about being so tired.  That has to mean something.

I agree. Even Shiv said how tired he was, when in the pre-election episode she was begging him to just stay awake a little longer for the guests. 

I hope it doesn’t mean what I think it might mean 

• Like 5

Other shows are filled with horrible people but I really don't have anyone I am rooting for other than Jimenez to win the election. It would be nice if Tom got out but he is also horrible. Willa is the least horrible person in the core family other than the grandkids. 

• Like 5

Apologies in advance for mentioning a controversial figure but I believe it was Chris Rock who had a bit about men with money and mistresses. If you are poor, you are too poor for a mistress but the richer you get the more likely you are to have one. And if you are filthy rich, like Logan, then your wife knows your mistress by name. That's what I couldn't help but think of when Logan's four women, first wife, first mistress, second wife and second mistress were all sitting together at the funeral.

Marcia was surprisingly kind at the funeral, taking Kerri's hand and asking Shiv if she was OK and that she loved and missed Logan and he broke all of their hearts.  A very succinct and trenchant point.

Shiv asking Frank and Karl if Logan was a good man was interesting. A salty dog but a good egg. What else were they supposed to say? Did she think she'd get a real answer or was she just asking for reassurance?

I loved Ewan's eulogy. A little bit about Logan's horrible childhood that maybe explains him a little bit but also not excusing that Logan was a horrible man. I noticed that Greg complimented Ewan after. He cannot help but suck up to absolutely everyone.

I was amused by everyone sidling up to Mencken and trying to curry favor with him, including, of course, Greg. He did walk over to Mattson though, so that says something about Mattson's influence. I know Shiv led him over there but still; he went. And he told Roman and Kendall that he would "try" with the regulations. Oh, boy. And a little dig at Roman breaking down at the funeral.

Kendall is grooming himself to be Logan's replacement. He said he hoped he was like Logan during his eulogy (Shiv's face when he said that!). Also, he's made Hugo his "dog" and hired Logan's bodyguard, Colin. 

Kendall's exchange with Jess: Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Why did you tell me that today? I'm glad she's getting out and of course it's about Mencken.

I wonder how long his wanting to get custody of his kids is going to last. He has enough money to make it happen but I assume he'll either lose interest or figure out it's in his kids best interest to stay with Rava. Otherwise he really is Logan. Ugh.

Poor Tom is still tired. I do wonder if he's going to have a heart attack or something.

Roman is losing it. I wonder if he's going to be OK, too.

I'm excited for the final episode and how everything shakes out.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Tom being tired is a harbinger of anything other than exhaustion. 

Remember, it's only been what five or six days at most since they were on the plane and Logan died. Tom was immediately in the middle of all of that, had to step off the plane and go do the pre election night party where he finds out the wife he loves but hates is pregnant, then has to be all in the next day for what is probably one of the most insane news cycles for any outlet, then manage the fallout from that, then the NEXT day go to the funeral and deal with the family drama--realistically he probably has only slept a few hours at most going on, what, 72 to 96+ hours? Yeah, dude is exhausted.

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Apologies in advance for mentioning a controversial figure but I believe it was Chris Rock who had a bit about men with money and mistresses. If you are poor, you are too poor for a mistress but the richer you get the more likely you are to have one. And if you are filthy rich, like Logan, then your wife knows your mistress by name. That's what I couldn't help but think of when Logan's four women, first wife, first mistress, second wife and second mistress were all sitting together at the funeral.

Second wife, third wife. Connor's mother was Roy wife #1.

That was some shot of all four of them sitting right up front!

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
(edited)

If the writing and acting (and production in general) wasn't so spectacular, these assholes would never get so much time from me🥲

"Can we get him out of there?" Holy shit, that hit home and I'll bet with a lot of people. Pre-grieving = can't imagine which stupid bestseller that came from--or maybe it's a Damaged Roman original.

Lukas will never deliver for Shiv. Menken won't deliver for the Roys. Rava's not coming back. Ugh, Greg will land on his feet (a willing puppet for Lukas or somebody). Run, Jess! After everyone sells her out, perhaps Shiv will end up sitting with Tom when the baby stirs. And the thought that maybe, in the end, she can be a better parent than either of hers or her sibs and that might make for the best revenge.

Sorry, Kendall. You and your brother are too damaged to come out of this the way you wanted. Logan called it.

The wife and ex-wives and ex-mistress club has been called to order! I saw a report that that first mistress is married to Brian Cox irl.

Hey, Jess Armstrong -- lemme know what I'll be watching next. 

Edited by buttersister
I should proof before hitting send.
  • Like 14
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

I was cheering all through Ewan’s speech, and snarling through Kendall’s.

Logan never “built” a damn thing; his workers did.

I hope the electoral college comes through for Jimenez.

Both speeches were terrific.

Ewan's speech was truth, even if it appeared judgmental but he was conflicted, pointing out Logan tortured himself over their sister's death but at the same time, exploited the worst impulses of men to become rich.

But Kendal made a great save (at least to the audience at the funeral, who were power players themselves) and didn't try to rebut what Ewan said, since he also had publicly judged Logan, but it was kind of "don't hate the player, hate the game" recitation of the world being what it is -- money make the world go round -- and him also wanting some of what Logan had.

I thought the pitches that Kendal and Shiv/Lukas made to Mencken were kind of weak because they were so obvious pandering and supplicant.  Of course they were pitching to the guy who might become POTUS but Kendal knew they had no guarantees from Mencken, despite the promise he made on election night.

Lukas observed how ironic that a racist/white nationalist like Mencken might not be predisposed to favoring a tall blond guy.

The children grieved but they were not above jockeying for power, especially in that little party, wherever it took place.  It's not that daddy would have wanted them to, more that they internalized daddy's mindset more than they realized.

Kendall all hurt that Jess wanted to talk about leaving.  Didn't realize until now, with closeups of the character's face that she may be a POC.  Ken's ex is concerned about their POC adopted daughter being hassled and he doesn't put it together?

Shiv doesn't mind being a puppet and letting ATN continue their ways, even though she hates what ATN is.  Says she won't even see her kid so he or she won't get in the way of her CEO-ing.  

Roman jokes about fucking Shiv and Marcia, on the day of his father's funeral, but breaks down, blubbers, and now the video is going viral.  He had mocked Kendall for wearing dark glasses to hide tears.  Or maybe he just realized his "my daddy was a great man" eulogy just wasn't going to cut it with uncle Ewan salting the ground for any Logan canonization.

Does she or either of her brothers really want to run Waystar or just win against each other?  This may be like The Hundred, they like the idea of creating it but it's clear they didn't have a vision for how they'd run it and that is probably the case with ATN.

It's about the spoils, not the journey, specifically lording it over each other if and when one of them wins it.

Greg may also be playing that game, like he will me more of an overt suck-up than any of his cousins, stick his nose into any and everyone who has power.  Seems too clumsy to succeed but maybe people like Mencken or Mattson doesn't care, the more competent the ass-kisser, the better.

• Like 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

He went to their home to "lay down for a few hours and sleep." Perhaps he won't wake up.

Tom was in the preview so... not likely. Plus, that would be beneath a show of this caliber. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

While Roman's breakdown was completely normal, him as a one percenter  going out and projecting his anger on the protesters proved he was a terrible human. I mean "no real person", right? His crappy decisions affect others but he will be just fine sleeping on his bed of money.

I think Roman wanted to provoke a beat down.

Him by himself taunting protestors is just asking for it.

Probably feeling bad about himself for crying or something.

• Like 10

I 100% believe Roman was hoping to get hurt when he put himself in the middle of the protest marchers. He broke down, hated that he’s being seen as weak, and wanted to punish himself for it somehow.

That look Shiv gave Tom when she deliberately drank champagne in front of him - very “Go ahead, say something about it. I dare you.” Yikes.

• Like 19
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

Wow, Ronan had a type or what!

I know that church, St. Ignatius Loyola.  They are film-friendly and use the fees they get to help the homeless and other people in need.

Rewatching now.

Director said they had a lot of script to shoot in the church so they used 4 cameras and loaded long film rolls to do long takes like episode 3, when the actors reacted to Logan passing away.

Director said he doesn't give actors direction on line readings or acting because they all have their own processes to prep for the scenes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)

The kids will come up empty-handed, and that's how it should be. I hope Tom is alright. Shiv is toast. And Roman's spiral of self destruction was really hard to watch (Kieran is magnificent though).

Oh, and fuck off, Kendall!

Edited by maddie965
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Totally not surprised that Roman's "pre-grieving" would come back to bite him, and sure enough, he melts down right before his eulogy.  Hard to feel too sorry for him after everything he did, but Kieran Culkin more than delivered: was uncomfortably realistic in a lot of ways.  Equally not surprised that people like Mencken would actually consider showing any emotion like that a weakness, so now it looks like Roman is back to the bottom of the sibling pile (hell, he might even be below Connor at this point.) 

Not just Mencken. I'd put it at 75 percent of that room, including almost all the ones who have power and influence, men and women alike. Some of them might have sympathy for him, might not openly say what they're thinking, but they'll never forget that sight when it comes to making any decision that affects him. His tears were like blood in a shark tank.

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
(edited)

Love the show for what it is, but every few episodes Kendall has a "great speech" moment and follows it up with shit. A new plan, a new tactic, a new nothing. Revolutions are the easy part, you have to follow it up with something, too. Four seasons is plenty.

During Roman's little practice speech in the mirror, he said Logan was the middle child of three, which just sounds weird to my ear (even though I guess it isn't that strange). I assume the writers were pointing it out to the audience that Roman is also the middle child of three (even though he acts like the baby) - with an older brother good for a speech every once in a while and a younger sister who had polio (that doesn't tie in to Shiv specifically, but whatever). His little tantrum at the end was kind of obvious, as well. The actors can all act the hell out of a scene, but I'd be perfectly happy for all of the characters to get their comeuppance (which will sadly never come. Oh Greg wins the CEO race at the end - big whoop)

I like that Gerri and the Gang give off this Shakespearean three witches sort of vibe.

Also, I would like to say I am on very little sleep and was studying for about 12 hours straight before watching this, and may have chuckled at myself thinking about a Tim Robbinsesque coffin flopping during the service

Edited by gorgy
  • Like 7

How Kendall went into that church and how he came out was total opposite.  Roman went in shaking hands, king of the world and wanting to crown himself with his speech.  Instead he broke down, his "is he in there" was so realistic.  Then by all that handed Kendall the crown instead. 

Kendall did amazing on the fly to give that eulogy. Then came out with the crown, he came out as Roman went in. 

Tired of Mattson stuck in this, I don't want him to get anything and Shiv taking his side is not appealing. Shiv sounds like a bumbling idiot last week with her brothers and this episode. She wants to be CEO can barely string sentences together. 

Shiv should have left it alone after Kendall spoke, there was no reason for her to go up there other than a power play and try to string coherent sentences together. Nothing sounds like a CEO with her with that speech. 

Roman at the end after Kendall went Logan on him was sad. Was scared he'd be hurt jumping into the protest. 

I loved the theme song playing in the funeral. 

• Like 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I think Rava had every right to keep the kids out of harm's way. What their usually disinterested father wanted wasn't reason enough to force them into a situation that they probably dreaded anyway.

4 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Matsson is gonna screw Shiv over. He can't deal with women. 

What would Shiv be getting anyway?  Mattson is quite clear he wants the network for it's intellectual properties (movies, tv shows) and he intends to take a wrecking ball to the rest.  ATN he wants to be a low cost Bloomberg clone rather than a high priced egofest to sell My Pillow.  Even if she is CEO she would not be exactly getting much.  But yeah, Mattson will totally screw her over.  And she'll deserve every second of it.

Mattson is trying to tempt Mencken with what the rest of his company can do.  Particularly social media which can reach more people than the news ever will.  One thing people forget in the whole Fox vs MSNBC vs CNN thing.  Or in this world Pierce vs ATN is how few people actually watch ANY of them.  Some may get better ratings but it's all relative and all of really bad (read old) demographics.

4 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Rava was smart to get the kids out of there.  Kendall is emotional and sways from suicidal to outwardly destructive.  Logan laid hands on Iverson and why would she want to wade through a sea of fascists to traumatize her child?  To please their absentee, emotionally stunted father? Nope.  The entire Roy clan are a quicksand lined pit of despair.   

Absolutely.  If you live in the outerboros it may be overreacting a bit.  But if you're in Manhattan and they are boarding up the buildings it may be nothing but the noise and commotion may scare the kids.  And there is still a chance something bad could happen.  So if you have the means why not take a little vacation and spare them the drama?

To me it was more about Kendall wanting the universe to center around him and perhaps a bit of guilt over the Mencken call.

And yes the Roy kids who dad accurately called "not serious people" did not become any more qualified to run the company anywhere besides into the ground after Logan died.

With his funky numbers and skeletons the kids may actually beat Mattson.  But folks like Stewy are waiting in the wings to do the same thing.  Kick the Roys to the curb and dismantle Waystar for fun and profit.

Edited by Taget
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I also think Greg will take the US CEO crown. The sibs underestimate him.

And it's curious how much of Greg appears in the "previously on Succession" clips. This last one, he was there more than usual. As if the powers that be want us to remember all of Greg's previous actions....🤔

Greg's the "puppet."

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Greg may also be playing that game, like he will me more of an overt suck-up than any of his cousins, stick his nose into any and everyone who has power.  Seems too clumsy to succeed but maybe people like Mencken or Mattson doesn't care, the more competent the ass-kisser, the better.

Or in the wonderful words of Hugo... "woof, woof." 🐕‍🦺

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Yeah, even though I think Kendall is the last person who should have custody of his kids

It is fitting though for him to take custody like Logan did with his kids. Wasn't really father of the year but wanted them because they were his. 

• Like 7

Wow.  Penultimate episode and they whiffed.

It was like watching a racehorse just trot around the track; you keep waiting for him to break into a gallop but he never does. 

Filler.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Ken's ex is concerned about their POC adopted daughter being hassled and he doesn't put it together?

Has it been confirmed Kendall’s daughter is adopted?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Has it been confirmed Kendall’s daughter is adopted?

I don't think it's ever been discussed on the show, but Sophie apparently is adopted. Her portrayer, Swayam Bhatia, has talked about it in interviews. ("I think that storyline works a lot for an [Indian character]. I remember when I was auditioning for Succession, it was about a completely Irish family. If you look at me and then you look at the rest of the family, you’re like ‘where does she fit in?’ Showing that my character was adopted is how I think the industry is learning to cope with making casts more diverse.")

https://www.khabar.com/magazine/features/rising-star-sways-success

In universe, maybe Rava and Kendall were having trouble conceiving and they adopted, and then Iverson came as a surprise. Or maybe both children are adopted.

• Like 8

The funeral portion of the episode did a great job of showcasing all four kids' feelings and connection with Logan.

Connor was fairly indifferent which was consistent with his lifelong detachment from his dad. Shiv was still looking for her dad's love of his only daughter and hoped it was there beneath his rough exterior. Roman finally fell apart realizing that daddy was gone and he was forever going to be on his own.  His forever protector was no longer.  Kendall's speech was supposed to be the counterpoint to his uncle's, but he couldn't help but emphasize some of the negative points. Yes, Logan built and empire was he was an awful human being and dad.

Snook's and Culkin's performances were the highlight of the episode.

• Like 13