Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Church and State

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, cmfran said:

Let's not forget that Greg was barfing into the head of a theme park costume in the first season premiere. Yes, he's come a long way, but he's still a bumbling nobody in the Waystar/Royco world and not qualified for much of anything. 

But the thing is, he's already an exec at Waystar and probably drawing an obscene salary.

He's not just eating CPK pizzas any more.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
22 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

was. He built the company at some point, he didn't claw his way to the top of somebody else's.

I think the show made it t pretty clear he clawed his way to the top by destroying others. He called himself a killer. Thats what killers do

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
54 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I think the show made it t pretty clear he clawed his way to the top by destroying others. He called himself a killer. Thats what killers do

Yes, but he was doing that to build his own company and he was a good businessman. He wasn't anything like what Kendall is, a guy raised in privilege and a business degree whose real claim to the top job is that his dad promised it to him. It's not enough that Kendall is capable of being an asshole when he doesn't get his way, or that he's rich and petty. Logan wasn't just being mean when he said the kids weren't serious people. 

Might also be important to remember that Logan, who was the better businessman, thought it was time to sell ATN. He wasn't sentimental about it.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I'm so glad that the show gave James Cromwell one big showcase, that speech Ewan gave was an absolute barnburner. He really went up there and tore everyone there, including his dead brother, a new one, but in a very classy way, It was also nice to get some more information about Logan's childhood, which doesn't excuse the awful things he did, but it does give it context. 

I cant believe that the show is almost over, there is so much happening. No way Matsson not going to screw Shiv over, which I think will happen right when it turns out that they called the presidential race too early and the other guy is president. Everyone panics as they realize they bet on the wrong horse and Matsson takes the opportunity to grab up the company while the kids blink in shock. 

Roman is such an awful, shitty little parasite, but he's just so pathetic that I cant help but feel pity for him, even as he's being the nastiest most priviliged little shit in the world. 

Let the wives and mistress club come to order! Caroline taking Kerry right to the front of the church and introducing "her Kerry" to Marcia was so wild, you knew right away that this funeral was going to be something else. It actually led to a rather sweet moment when Marcia gave Kerry some comfort and all four women bonded a bit over having loved and had to deal with Logan.

I don't blame Rava at all from wanting to keep her kids away from that shit show, especially with Sophie so upset. Kendall is truly losing it if he thinks that his kids are better off with him, not only did he help to get this fascists racist elected, knowing how bad he was and knowing what his kids felt about it, but he's clearly dangerously unstable and in a total flailing freefall. He also seems to be in total denial that he has any responsibility about what has happened and is trying to act like he has no idea why people are upset, even though he very clearly does.  

Karl looked like he was about to start munching on popcorn throughout the funeral as he watched the hijinks, the whole old guard all clustered together snarking and scheming was one of my favorite parts of the episode. 

"I think I hear Dalmatians howling." Enter Caroline. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I need to know what a meatball burger is and how it relates to Shiv and Lukas.

meatball burger would be a fusion dish in this case American /Italian, which doesn't really work because Matsson is a swede.

I thought Swedish meatballs immediately. 

I love the broken dialogue. It is how real people converse. I do watch with subtitles on because they speak fast.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

This is (or was) HBO.   Bran Stark will be CEO.

Ha! I can defend this choice. The show just biffed the execution and the actor was not quite up to the task. 

Greg winning is too obvious. I think the opening credits have always told us. Geri, Stewie, Frank, and that other person who is clearly not one of the kids. I think Armstrong is the kind of jokester who would just show us.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan said that this episode shows they could keep going and these characters, as played by these actors, would continue to produce great TV.

I agree, though I don't know if the cast was interested in continuing.  For enough money, they probably would.  I think Snook is on another show already.

But these roles may define their careers for awhile.  Even Cox, as great an actor as he is, will be best known for playing Logan Roy, even though his voice is in all these commercials now these days.

Hoping Armstrong has some other things he's planning already, which may have played a part in his wanting to end it with this season.

• Like 4

Although I will miss this show greatly, I am glad it is ending now because it looks like Warner/Disney+ is determined to bring HBO down to a lower level. I guess HBO will still exist on cable, but on streaming it is just Max and mushed in with old comedies, home and garden shows, and kiddie programs.  HBO's staff and budget have been cut, and I see no sign that the quality of shows that made HBO special in the past matters to the current overlords.  

But I am going to hate saying farewell to the Roys et al next Sunday!!! 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I'd like to see Willa win it all.   Or the million dollar home run kid.

So it would be like Pretty Women, except the call girl rather than marrying the CEO becomes the CEO.  I'm in.

As for Greg he could get it because he is fine with what Mattson wants in the job.  A figurehead who would be the American who would do (or more accurate have actions done in their name) whatever Mattson and his brain trust wanted.  He's not looking for Shiv to come "run" the network.  He's looking for someone like Big Head in Silicon Valley.

• Like 2
(edited)

I personally don't think Greg wins because that would be so trite. And Shiv can't win because  a girl boss winner would be so 2023 and I can't believe they would go there. 

Roman can't win because he's Roman. Same for Connor

The old c suite, nah. 

Stewie and the 2 Sandy's? Maybe

Matsson is kind of obvious. 

Ken is obvious too. 

Sunday can't come soon enough

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Like 2

What if Mattson has just faked everyone out and is going to breakup Waystar, keep the bits he wants for himself and sells off the rest?  No US CEO because no company left to head.  The president would be appeased since there's a good chance the remaining pieces could be picked up by US companies. 

I feel like there are too many hanging threads and too much to wrap up for this show to only have one episode left.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Absurda said:

What if Mattson has just faked everyone out and is going to breakup Waystar, keep the bits he wants for himself and sells off the rest?  No US CEO because no company left to head.  The president would be appeased since there's a good chance the remaining pieces could be picked up by US companies. 

Maybe I've lost track, but wasn't that exactly what Mattson said he was going to do?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:
1 hour ago, Absurda said:

Expand  

Maybe I've lost track, but wasn't that exactly what Mattson said he was going to do?

Yes which is why I think Kendall freaked out a bit. To see Logan's legacy torn to bits. Even though Logan didn't seem to care. I would say nothing lasts but doesn't Japan have businesses that are hundreds of years old? And England? Maybe not media empires...

• Like 1

This is (or was) HBO.   Bran Stark will be CEO.   

Anyone disregarding Greg because he is "unqualified"- what show have you been watching? The kids are ALL supremely unqualified, that's the point of the show. The world is run by bumbling idiots, Greg will fit right in.  

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

Anyone disregarding Greg because he is "unqualified"- what show have you been watching? The kids are ALL supremely unqualified, that's the point of the show. The world is run by bumbling idiots, Greg will fit right in.  

My problem with Greg being CEO isn't that he's more unqualified than the kids (though I think he is); it's that as a dramatic choice it breaks credulity.

The kids are in the running because actual humans apparently (still) have a wide monarchical streak in them: Bloodlines, chip off the old block, etc. But Greg is merely some kind of cousin--not a child--of the king, and been shown to be especially undertalented even among the unqualified.

So if Armstrong chooses to make a (cringey, cheesy) point by making Greg the new king, then I think that's where believability is sacrificed in order to Make A Point.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

The kids are in the running because actual humans apparently (still) have a wide monarchical streak in them: Bloodlines, chip off the old block, etc. But Greg is merely some kind of cousin--not a child--of the king, and been shown to be especially undertalented even among the unqualified.

I totally agree - and have said it before.  Greg is merely a Greek chorus who mumbles asides.  He's the barely tolerated poor relative hoping to accept crumbs & climb his way up by association.

He's been used to take orders & do dirty work - to destroy documents or files, fire ATN underlings & deliver bad audition news to Kerry, tell Mr. Snippy-snip to make changes, listen to Tom's musings. To be the fall-guy or hatchet man, whatever needed.  He doesn't manage anyone, isn't capable of executive decisions.  He simply takes the orders from others & executes them in his own bumbling way. Even Tom has more experience & gravitas (with his own failings, of course) than Greg.  Logan found him "visually aggravating." 

If Greg is the answer to anything, I'd be shocked.  He was extremely embarrassed by whatever sport Matsson's team made of him - but will nevertheless hang onto him or whomever to get whatever crumbs or find whatever "gold" he can - no matter how low he must stoop. He has use as a go-fer or mole.  He is not CEO material. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 5/22/2023 at 7:15 PM, Athena5217 said:

My closed captioning gave this as “Välkommen,” which is Swedish so I just assumed it was an appropriate Swedish greeting. However, I could see Mattson making a snarky Nazi reference.

Definitely sounds a lot more like "Välkommen" than "Willkommen". Though why he'd say that to someone who (As far as we know anyway) doesn't speak Swedish or has a connection to Sweden seems a bit of an odd choice. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lathund said:

Definitely sounds a lot more like "Välkommen" than "Willkommen". Though why he'd say that to someone who (As far as we know anyway) doesn't speak Swedish or has a connection to Sweden seems a bit of an odd choice. 

Maybe rubbing his nose a little in the fact that he's not American since Menken wouldn't be his president and as a far right guy probably thinks Europe is inferior.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, nb360 said:

Do we learn why Logan has the marks on his back?

I've assumed the marks were from being beaten as a kid by the aunt and uncle who took in Logan and his siblings - either that or he got them at boarding school.  Thanks to Ewan's eulogy we learned that Logan was sent away to school but was weak and sick, and came home on his own.  

• Like 4
17 hours ago, nb360 said:

See, THIS is what I'm missing and will be upset with the show ending.  We never got a background on anything!  Ok now we know why Logan was so upset over his sister, but still, it was an after thought.  I want to see why the kids are the way they are.  Why is Conor the forgotten son and not the heir apparent?  Did they really make Roman eat dog food?  Why why why.  I know that I won't get the answers, but it would really flesh this out.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

See, THIS is what I'm missing and will be upset with the show ending.  We never got a background on anything!  Ok now we know why Logan was so upset over his sister, but still, it was an after thought.  I want to see why the kids are the way they are.  Why is Conor the forgotten son and not the heir apparent?  Did they really make Roman eat dog food?  Why why why.  I know that I won't get the answers, but it would really flesh this out.

I think getting details on those things would actually have the opposite effect of making it too on the nose and it would seem fake. To me, it seems like we get a lot more understanding with what we have. Conor's mom was mentally ill. Roman both wanted to be in the cage and was humiliated by it later. Logan's feelings about his sister don't directly tie to anything, but did something to him. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I think getting details on those things would actually have the opposite effect of making it too on the nose and it would seem fake. To me, it seems like we get a lot more understanding with what we have. Conor's mom was mentally ill. Roman both wanted to be in the cage and was humiliated by it later. Logan's feelings about his sister don't directly tie to anything, but did something to him. 

Yeah - I hear ya.  And we got snippets, but I guess I've gotten to used to getting all the backstory!  LOL  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

To me, it seems like we get a lot more understanding with what we have. Conor's mom was mentally ill.

It's strongly suggested that the marriage to Connor's mom was much shorter than the marriage to Caroline. Also, we have been given to think that Connor has never had any interest in the family business, just his ranch in Santa Fe, the Federalist Papers, etc. Logan wants an heir apparent who's desperate for the job. Someone like Connor with his head in the clouds (or in some old books) can't be that guy. He doesn't care enough.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

The reason I love this show is because everything ISN'T spelled out.  You get bits & pieces to figure out for yourself.

Connor's mom was institutionalized and Connor has a rather tepid personality - which isn't Logan's style - so like the first pancake, Connor was tossed aside for a newer batch.  (Not that the next set of "pancakes" was much better.)

Whether Roman was taunted by his siblings & made to eat dog food - or not - he's got serious self-esteem issues.  Does or says disgusting things for effect or attention.  One day, he's full of himself (Roman the Showman) & firing people.  The next day he's a sniveling wreck.  With daddy issues just like the rest of them.

No wonder.  Logan was left to believe that he brought home the polio that killed his sister.  His aunt & uncle didn't disabuse him of that notion, and who knows, maybe beat & abused him too, given the marks on his back. (Unless abused at school or somewhere else along the way, but somewhere, Logan learned to take pain - and to give pain.) The kids were recipients of Logan's messed up way of dealing with people.  They all lack self-esteem.  And raised in the thrall of, but also manipulated, by Logan.

Kendall was closest to taking over (he can scope issues sometimes, he can lead or connect sometimes, & sometimes he has his head in the game when not overwhelmed by sidetracks) but he can also be needy - wanting to be seen as cool, speaking in lingo. Falling into traps.  Logan's inability to cede power coupled with Kendall's failings, made him an iffy choice to take over.

Shiv, the only girl, was made to feel lesser than her brothers or babied ("Pinky.")  Her need to show that she can run with the boys, causes her to exhibit bravado & overconfidence - sometimes unjustified.  She has the same insecurity as the others - caused by Logan & coupled with Caroline's leaving, which she may have felt to greater extent.  She's not stupid, but she wasn't groomed to take over - she doesn't really know the business & inexperienced as a leader & delegator - though she wants to give off an air that she can handle it. She's not fooling Matsson, however.

It was no doubt a competitive household - as kids & adults, each vying for Logan's attention & love.  And each failing as Logan withheld either or both of those or played one against the other.  Each one with good qualities & each with major flaws.  No one an easy or perfect choice to succeed Logan.  What a messed up group!

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

I don't think Connor was ever in the running for anything whether he wanted it or not.  For someone like Logan, Connor would be "tainted" by his mother's mental illness and forever suspect of having the illness himself.  That would be a weakness Logan could never tolerate in his successor.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Maybe all the Logan sibs will be wiped out by a bomb or hanged by the mob of protestors.  That would entertaining.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tom die, either.   Horribly.

Greg has been so ineffectual that he doesn't even deserve to die.   All he's earned is to fade away into absolute insignificance.

I have only now begun to wonder how old Conner was when his mother was committed, and who raised him.  Did Marcia raise him? A nanny? His mother's relatives? Boarding school?  It does not matter by now, but all this discussion of Conner has made me wonder.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I have only now begun to wonder how old Conner was when his mother was committed, and who raised him.  Did Marcia raise him? A nanny?

I assumed Connor sort of "raised" himself -- part of the Logan/Caroline household but not shown much affection by either of them. As the oldest child, he took on the fatherly role for the others, especially Roman.

• Like 12

It’s more likely Caroline raised him…she was married to Logan long enough to have 4 kids with him, so Connor was likely 12 or so at minimum when Caroline and Logan broke up. Seems like Marcia came along later, after kids were mostly grown

• Like 1
(edited)

Ooops, Caroline, right.  I forgot she was the 3 sibs mother, and Marcia was later.  Thanks.

But Caroline only had the 3 kids, not four.

Edited by MBayGal
  • Like 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, millennium said:

Maybe all the Logan sibs will be wiped out by a bomb or hanged by the mob of protestors.  That would entertaining.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tom die, either.   Horribly.

Greg has been so ineffectual that he doesn't even deserve to die.   All he's earned is to fade away into absolute insignificance.

I have to admit, I really don't want anyone to die. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 5/23/2023 at 9:32 PM, Taget said:

So it would be like Pretty Women, except the call girl rather than marrying the CEO becomes the CEO.  I'm in.

As for Greg he could get it because he is fine with what Mattson wants in the job.  A figurehead who would be the American who would do (or more accurate have actions done in their name) whatever Mattson and his brain trust wanted.  He's not looking for Shiv to come "run" the network.  He's looking for someone like Big Head in Silicon Valley.

I guess I am failing to see why Mattson would make any of them CEO. It would feel random and against the whole concept of a show about succession, but he doesn't need to be loyal to the family so why make Greg a figurehead instead of someone brand new?  

Just a few more days and we'll know what they do and how they explain it!

On 5/23/2023 at 10:48 PM, nb360 said:

I assume it was the High Evolutionary.

I got your greatest fan theory of all right here, from the land of TIkTok:

WAMBSGANS is the name of the only player in the history of baseball to achieve an unassisted triple play in the World Series, taking out three batters all by himself.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
On 5/23/2023 at 6:32 PM, Taget said:

As for Greg he could get it because he is fine with what Mattson wants in the job.  A figurehead who would be the American who would do (or more accurate have actions done in their name) whatever Mattson and his brain trust wanted. 

Mattson wants a figurehead - not a knucklehead.  A figurehead who appears to the world to know what they're doing - even if directed by Mattson. Greg is a stumbling bumbling twit.  He'd be an embarrassment & would need constant direction. Unable to think & execute on his own or finesse problems as they arise.  Too young.  Too unseasoned.  Mattson would have to be too involved in the day-to-day nitty-gritty & he couldn't want that. Not seeing it - at all. 

Even Tom would be better.  He's actually running ATN - been through the ranks at Waystar (though in the problematic Cruises division), at Logan's elbow at the end, and a married-in member of the Roy family - though on the receiving end of derision from the Waystar bench of old-timers (Geri, Frank, Karl, Hugo, etc) & not really connected or supported by anyone on the Board. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I never post on actual TV shows. Just my few reality TV on and off (we’re having a hootenanny over on Vanderpump Rules).

I love this show. I have a Waystar Royco t-shirt I wear to the gym (courtesy of Mr. DC). Whenever I feel a little down I put on the “Hunting” episode. I believe it was the first reference to Ratfucker Sam?

I have seriously considered paying Brian Cox apparently something like $1K to send a Cameo to my husband to tell him to fuck off (he’d love it).

Reason for my post is I have no clue how this is going to end. With the other greats you kinda knew. Breaking Bad (Walter White dies), The Wire (dead or in prison - BTW I was late to that one - it’s brilliant but needs your full attention), Sopranos (whatever the fuck that was - life as usual?).

My current hierarchy is Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos (Mr. DC would argue with me about Mad Men being there). I’m really hoping this finale doesn’t disappoint. 

Edited by Jennifersdc
Edited to add - Kieran deserves an Emmy for this episode. I wonder if his brother is jealous.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)

In Season 2, episode 3 - "Hunting":

Logan humiliates Greg, Tom, and Karl with the "Boar on the Floor" game; Roman takes out his phone and tries to record.

Perhaps it was really Karl who taped Roman's breakdown at the funeral (and not Ray, who is also briefly humiliated in this episode)?

If so, it would be payback.

Edited to add: pure coincidence! I did not see the post above when I typed this up.

Edited by nb360
coincidence
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
34 minutes ago, nb360 said:

In Season 2, episode 3 - "Hunting":

Logan humiliates Greg, Tom, and Karl with the "Boar on the Floor" game; Roman takes out his phone and tries to record.

Perhaps it was really Karl who taped Roman's breakdown at the funeral (and not Ray, who is also briefly humiliated in this episode)?

If so, it would be payback.

Edited to add: pure coincidence! I did not see the post above when I typed this up.

So is it wrong how funny I thought that episode was? Gerri had some great lines too. I love her.

• Wink 1

I’m mostly indifferent to which character “wins” or ends up with the most power.

Yes the show is called Succession but as they say it’s about the journey, not the destination.

It’s not inconceivable that Armstrong ends it in a way which rings false or is unsatisfactory to some viewers.  In fact some people are going to be disappointed or complain because they want to.

We see these objectively awful human beings handed everything in life and they still want more without any idea why they should get this bIg prize.

But they’ve all been entertaining — who knew people who were spoiled rich children could be so fun to watch?

Regardless of who wins, it’s not like they will do something important like some great content.  Roman didn’t like the movie he was managing back in season 1 or 2 and Kendall thought he had some earth shattering ideas for Vaulter and then The Hundred but really didn’t.  Shiv had a distinct political philosophy and something like her own career but gave it all up but has no ideas how she’d change ATN and Waystar other than she didn’t like what Logan did nor what Kendall and Roman might do.

So it’s irrelevant who gets it, it’s the whining from the ones who lose and the taunting from the winner which should be fun.  Or whatever their reactions are, should be good.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

So is it wrong how funny I thought that episode was? Gerri had some great lines too. I love her.

Not wrong at all 🙂. As Naomi says in “Tern Haven,” “watching [them] melt down is the most deeply satisfying feeling on earth.“

• Like 1

Mattson wants a figurehead - not a knucklehead.  A figurehead who appears to the world to know what they're doing - even if directed by Mattson. Greg is a stumbling bumbling twit.  He'd be an embarrassment & would need constant direction. Unable to think & execute on his own or finesse problems as they arise.  Too young.  Too unseasoned.  Mattson would have to be too involved in the day-to-day nitty-gritty & he couldn't want that. Not seeing it - at all.  

All a puppet would have to do is show up every day. Mattson has a stable full of minions to cover the day to day- he'd just install one of them as an assistant.

And why are we worried about Greg's actual capabilities anyway? Any CEO chosen to pass muster in order to close a deal could easily be replaced after the smoke clears.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

I never post on actual TV shows. Just my few reality TV on and off (we’re having a hootenanny over on Vanderpump Rules).

I love this show. I have a Waystar Royco t-shirt I wear to the gym (courtesy of Mr. DC). Whenever I feel a little down I put on the “Hunting” episode. I believe it was the first reference to Ratfucker Sam?

I have seriously considered paying Brian Cox apparently something like $1K to send a Cameo to my husband to tell him to fuck off (he’d love it).

Reason for my post is I have no clue how this is going to end. With the other greats you kinda knew. Breaking Bad (Walter White dies), The Wire (dead or in prison - BTW I was late to that one - it’s brilliant but needs your full attention), Sopranos (whatever the fuck that was - life as usual?).

My current hierarchy is Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos (Mr. DC would argue with me about Mad Men being there). I’m really hoping this finale doesn’t disappoint. 

I agree with Mr DC. Mad Men belongs. Personally I dont think the ending is gonna be cathartic, like they all die in a firebombing. But I'm hoping for not a Sopranos ending, where there is endless speculation about what happened. I've decided that was either the more genius or the worst ending of all time and I go back and forth. Part of me longs for a comic Bob Newhart ending, where the whole thing was a dream. 

Mr Poetic doesn't watch the show, but he calls it the fuck off show because he says every time he walks into the room when I'm watching, someone is saying fuck off

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I feel thick but can someone explain to me how Logan and Ewan had a baby sister in America when their parents were in England and they’d been sent away for safety? 

I've been wondering that too!

2 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

All a puppet would have to do is show up every day. Mattson has a stable full of minions to cover the day to day- he'd just install one of them as an assistant.

And why are we worried about Greg's actual capabilities anyway? Any CEO chosen to pass muster in order to close a deal could easily be replaced after the smoke clears.

But you don't want a puppet that makes the stock price go down because he's obviously...Greg. You might as well install a puppet who looks like a competent CEO evenif he's an emmpty suit.

• Like 2