Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Franklin Institute

• Start Topic

Abbott Elementary takes a field trip to the Franklin Institute. Gregory is eager to spend time with a reluctant Janine who is avoiding him. Ava teaches the students about aliens, leading to chaos when someone spots an extraterrestrial in the museum.

Season Finale

Airdate: 04/19/2023

• Like 1

I was on Maurice's side in his conversation with Janine.  Sure, they hadn't dated that long but that was a dick move for her to have Gregory--his friend--at the breakup meal.  

I did love the heartfelt bro hug though. 

I also loved Mr. Johnson's DGAF reaction to Ava's questioning him leaving for Baltimore.

• Like 12
Just now, Crashcourse said:

I was on Maurice's side in his conversation with Janine.  Sure, they hadn't dated that long but that was a dick move for her to have Gregory--his friend--at the breakup meal.  

I don't think Janine asked him to come. I think Gregory insisted on coming. 

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

The do-rags, sleep bonnets and head scarves in evidence at that sleepover sparked JOY! Fabulous attention to African-American nighttime haircare rituals. 

Y'know...I'm cool with the direction Janine and Gregory's relationship took. I understand the choice Janine made. After all that she's gone through with selfish, immature family and lover, she needs to focus on her own growth and healing. 

And Gregory. Ahhhh! I felt so bad for him. His hug with Jacob was so sweet and heartbreaking.  

Jacob consistently gives surprisingly good advice.  

I thought Ava gave Janine some good advice that it was ok to be selfish. She's used to doing things for everyone else.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

I love this show.

I'm not mad at Janine for thinking she needs to know herself better before she's ready for "the one." But I also wonder if there's a little fear there. Moving from friendship to romance can be a gamble, especially with someone you see every day. Obviously, the risk can be worth it, and I think she'll take it when she's more confident in knowing herself.

But Gregory said he was going to plant something new! So I guess that'll be the drama when Janine is ready and he's ... torn. Janine and Gregory forevah!

• Like 9

I'm glad Janine and Gregory told each other how they feel, and are on the same page that when they get together, it will be something real.

However, I just know Janine is going to come back from summer break wanting to be with Gregory and he is going to have moved on (his "it's time to plant something new" comment). I get that the show doesn't want to pair them up too soon, but there are only so many obstacles before it becomes grating. 

The rest of the characters were on point as always. Another successfully entertaining season in the books!

• Like 20

I recently started using a CPAP machine and Barbara could have used a smaller travel version. Plus, though it’s recommended to use the machine every night, she could have gone without it for the overnight at Franklin so not to disturb the kids or feel awkward

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 6
13 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I really didn't like Melissa being a bitch to the volunteer. Sure she may need to learn more but Melissa was a bitch before that and the girl is a volunteer. I just thought it was uncalled for.

I'm getting tired of Melissa and her "Philly bitch" persona.  Just because she's from Philly and "knows people" doesn't make her the badass she thinks she is.

And I hope Gregory moves on.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, funnygirl said:

However, I just know Janine is going to come back from summer break wanting to be with Gregory and he is going to have moved on (his "it's time to plant something new" comment). I get that the show doesn't want to pair them up too soon, but there are only so many obstacles before it becomes grating. 

I agree.  And I kind of think they're already at the "grating" portion of their dance.  Full disclosure, I am not particularly invested in them getting together, which probably makes me have less patience with a will they/won't they story than I normally would.  (If I'm not invested, I prefer a couple just gets together.)

So many of the issues Janine has are related to the fact that she likes Gregory but neither were willing to deal with that mutual interest.  It led them to make relationship decisions they weren't fully invested in. Now that they've admitted that interest, she's still making the same mistakes unless the show pivots.  Gregory will start a new relationship so she'll date someone who is not Gregory. 

At least get them together and have a real conflict come up which is a reasonable reason why they step away from each other.  It's just silly they're not together at this point.

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Jacob's Ketanji Brown Jackson pajamas! 🤣

I'm not a huge Gregory/Janine shipper, but damn, they made me swoon in this episode. I loved seeing them have an honest, mature conversation with one another and recognizing the potential repercussions to a romantic relationship going sour. 

I haven't been to The Franklin Institute in DECADES but I was absolutely DELIGHTED that this episode was set there and that they actually filmed there. I could smell the stinky feet heart from my tv screen! 😉

I'm going to miss this show over the next few months. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

So many of the issues Janine has are related to the fact that she likes Gregory but neither were willing to deal with that mutual interest.  It led them to make relationship decisions they weren't fully invested in. Now that they've admitted that interest, she's still making the same mistakes unless the show pivots. 

Maybe it’s because I’m dating and it’s frustrating, but I feel like if you want love and have a shot at “something real,” as he put it, with a good person who will try their best not to hurt you … why would you not pursue it? There’s always a risk (as my best friend’s husband says, nothing works until it does), but they’re both decent people who would give it a real shot.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, BreezieBitch said:

I found their conversation confusing and not sure how Janine’s conversation with Mo relates to her not perusing a relationship with Gregory. 

This.  I am so very over Janine.  Her relationship with Mo was barely a thing and the way they're making it out to be some huge deal is ridiculous.  Also, why does she care that he called her selfish?  He barely knows her!  And the whole, "I can't be in a relationship with you right now because it'd be too real" is something high schoolers say, not grown ass adults.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Gregory really has grown, he actually initiated a hug with Jacob! And was totally honest about his feelings with Janine! Its frustrating because I want Janine and Gregory to go ahead and get together, but I get why Janine said that she wasn't ready, even if its obvious that she is very much interested in him. I think she's being too hard on herself though, she could have handled the break up with Mo better, but it was hardly her stomping all over the heart of someone who was in love with her. They were hardly even a thing, breaking up with him was the right call. I think its great that she's not being such a people pleaser anymore. 

Of course Ava gets all of the kids going wild about aliens, poor Barbara. I really felt for her feelings embarrassed about her sleepy time gas mask, Barbara has always had issues showing sides of her outside of her austere Mrs. Howard face.  

Jacob had a great episode, his excitement about the museum was infectious, and he gave Gregory some good advice. he and Gregory even had two bro hugs. 

"Don't worry, every spot on my local restaurant spreadsheet has something you love: water." 

Its been a great season, I'm already impatient for the next one.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 12
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I wish Jacob had talked to her, cause he’d have gotten her straight. Jacob can be kooky, but he gets relationships. 

Agreed, and I think this was a bit of a misfire of the show.  In order for the "Gregory/Janine dance around each other's feelings stuff" to work, the show had Janine and Jacob, who are BFFs, not even talking about it for several episodes.  His "everyone I like knows it" line to Gregory had me going "I know that's right!"      

8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

”I listen to all your recommendations. I want to know why you like stuff” is one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard. I said “awww!” out loud. Way to make her feel seen, Gregory!

This resonated so much more than the standard, OTT romantic lines that TV does that usually make me cringe.  It really was simple yet earnest.  

17 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I really didn't like Melissa being a bitch to the volunteer. Sure she may need to learn more but Melissa was a bitch before that and the girl is a volunteer. I just thought it was uncalled for.

Agree, it really was unnecessary.  The show leaned a bit too hard on the mean girl schtick with Melissa this season.  I can appreciate it's a delicate balance between humor and asshole, but Melissa hit the latter more often than not.   

I'm ambivalent about Janine and Gregory.  Part of me understands why Janine doesn't want to get romantically involved with someone at work.  Another part of me feels like it's standard TV fare to keep the angst going.  I have little patience for romantic angst, which feels like 90% of TV relationships.   Other parts of me agree with these points: 

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Maybe it’s because I’m dating and it’s frustrating, but I feel like if you want love and have a shot at “something real,” as he put it, with a good person who will try their best not to hurt you … why would you not pursue it?

Even though I understand hesitance with dating a co-worker, I get this too. 

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

At least get them together and have a real conflict come up which is a reasonable reason why they step away from each other.  It's just silly they're not together at this point.

Yep, if they ultimately don't work out and choose to remain friends, that doesn't have to be a bad thing!  

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I wonder what Janine expects Gregory to do while she's "finding herself?"  Is he just going to continue making googly eyes at her in the meantime?  I'm sorry, but I just get middle schooler vibes from them and I'm getting tired of it.  Just go ahead and smash! 🤷‍♀️

Jacob was the MVP this episode--and, of course, those kids.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Even though I understand hesitance with dating a co-worker, I get this too. 

Fair. I don’t date men I work closely with - someone on my team or a team I work closely with (about 100 people total) is a no, but someone who works for the same (huge) employer I work for but that I don’t see would be okay. (My employer is big enough that that leaves literally thousands of people.)

7 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I wonder what Janine expects Gregory to do while she's "finding herself?"

Yeah, if he meets someone she can’t really say anything about it. She can’t expect him to wait around.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I wonder what Janine expects Gregory to do while she's "finding herself?"  Is he just going to continue making googly eyes at her in the meantime?  I'm sorry, but I just get middle schooler vibes from them and I'm getting tired of it.  Just go ahead and smash! 🤷‍♀️

Jacob was the MVP this episode--and, of course, those kids.

I didn't get the vibe that she expects him to wait at all. He's already clearly shown he will date despite his interest in her and she made it clear she knows who she is "giving up" while she focuses on herself. 

• Like 16
8 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

I didn't get the vibe that she expects him to wait at all. He's already clearly shown he will date despite his interest in her and she made it clear she knows who she is "giving up" while she focuses on herself. 

Yeah well, we'll see next season how she takes it when/if he starts dating again.  I'm tired of them.

Frankly, next season I'd rather have a couple episodes of Mr. Johnson's dating life.  Now that would be interesting.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Frankly, next season I'd rather have a couple episodes of Mr. Johnson's dating life.  Now that would be interesting.  

He is someone I’d just love to listen to talk about his life. You know he has stories on stories. “No disrespect to your little job or whatever, but I gotta do me.” I know that’s right!

• Like 8

I loved the entire episode. From beginning to end. Everything about it!

I love the Franklin Institute. Everyone come to Philly and visit it, you will love it! Then go to the Museum of Art, the Barnes, the Mutter Museum, Magic Gardens...ok I don't get paid to be tourism board, so I'll stop! We just have such great and interesting museums here!

One of my friend's daughter was one of the students in this episode. We all started yelling and cheering when we saw her, even though it was brief. She had such an amazing time and she loved it. Plus she earned her first paycheck :-)

I really liked Janine and Gregory being grown-ups about how they felt about each other.

I loved the scene with Gregory and Jacob. Jacob's reaction was everything and then some! Bro hug! 

• Like 14
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, funnygirl said:

::::whimper:::: I already lived through Ross & Rachel once…

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Fair. I don’t date men I work closely with - someone on my team or a team I work closely with (about 100 people total) is a no, but someone who works for the same (huge) employer I work for but that I don’t see would be okay. (My employer is big enough that that leaves literally thousands of people.)

Yeah, if he meets someone she can’t really say anything about it. She can’t expect him to wait around.

Gregory has already dated two women this year Taylor and Amber. If he had told Janine that he liked her she wouldn't have dated Maurice. It's ok if he doesn't date anyone for a while.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, DanaK said:

I recently started using a CPAP machine and Barbara could have used a smaller travel version. Plus, though it’s recommended to use the machine every night, she could have gone without it for the overnight at Franklin so not to disturb the kids or feel awkward

I’ve used a CPAP for years. I got way too much relief from it to skip a night. I even use it when I nap. The smaller ones cost as much as a bigger one, so not everyone can get a separate travel one. The kids wouldn’t have been disturbed without Ava’s alien descriptions. 
I felt sad for Janine. Maurice was so unkind. But I’m glad she and Gregory talked and have a better understanding. Very glad the show avoided the “misunderstanding for laughs” trope. 
I’ve never been to Philadelphia, but the museums sound incredible! I love museums.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, msani19 said:

love the Franklin Institute. Everyone come to Philly and visit it, you will love it! Then go to the Museum of Art, the Barnes, the Mutter Museum, Magic Gardens...ok I don't get paid to be tourism board, so I'll stop! We just have such great and interesting museums here!

I’m actually debating going to Philly next year because of WrestleMania, but if I do, the tourist board should send you a check. I love going to a museum when traveling alone!

I also “aww”’d at Gregory watching Night of the Museum for Janine, and then I might have teared up at the second Gregory/Jacob. I would argue it wasn’t a “bro hug” because that’s a typical “straight guy” hug like they did the first time. It’s just so rare to see a friendship between a gay man and a straight man on TV, and Gregory has been trying to grow emotionally in some ways this season, too, just not as obviously as Janine. I thought Chris Perfetti’s facial expressions were phenomenal. (And I also howled earlier when he told Gregory that he really shouldn’t give away so much with his face. Oh, JACOB.)

Like others, I also like the idea of every finale being a field trip. And thank you to those that said the heart exhibit really does beat that loud, because I thought it was a good way to add comic absurdity to an otherwise serious scene.

• Like 13

I'd like to second the comment on Gregory looking hot in his do-rag. Into it if Janine don't want him. (But she does, I know.)

Still intrigued as to what Tariq moving back to Philly will do with this dynamic as well! It's definitely a well-worn trope to do the whole will they/won't they thing, but man, I think "I'm interested to learn about what you like" is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time. Even if I'm paraphrasing, it's great. That's some real stuff.

What I find interesting is that even though Ava's been harassing Gregory from day 1, she clearly doesn't really care if Gregory and Janine get together. She was even trying to help them in her weird way. So it's nice to know that she's not going to make Janine's life any harder than she does already because of jealousy or anything. She essentially gave them her blessing. (Yes, they don't need her blessing. But still, Ava being harmless with her irritations is better than her being more terrible. Besides, she still got to be the troublemaker with her alien conspiracies.) Honestly, the whole staff seems to be rooting for them, and I can see next season of the STAFF being the problem and trying to force them together while they both keep saying "Hey, we talked about it, not the right time. Back off." I don't know if they'll go that route, but it'd be a nice flip on the ole trope!

Charming show as always!

• Like 12
18 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I wonder what Janine expects Gregory to do while she's "finding herself?"  

Eh. He does whatever he does. If Gregory and Janine are meant to be together, things will work out. Meanwhile, Janine is absolutely right to wait. She was a middle schooler when she got with Tariq and she only dated one other person besides him. She's not ready to jump into another serious relationship and both she and Gregory agreed that any relationship between them would be "serious". Janine didn't even make any friends of her own while she was with Tariq, and she had no life or identity outside of being a teacher. I'm all for Janine taking the time to find out who she is and what she really wants. She needs to experience being young and single while she still has the chance. Lord knows, between her family and Tariq, it doesn't seem like she ever got the chance to just be free. If Gregory finds someone else in the meantime, he was going to find them anyway.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, Crashcourse said:

She could have said No, it's best to do it alone.  

True, but it still seemed like a stretch to call her particularly selfish over it. It was Gregory who wanted to be there, not Janine, and it wasn't until afterwards where she realized how it would hurt him, and she apologized for that.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, funnygirl said:

I'm glad Janine and Gregory told each other how they feel, and are on the same page that when they get together, it will be something real.

The rest of the characters were on point as always. Another successfully entertaining season in the books!

Will he? It seems like it would be strange for him to decide to go after somebody else when they had a conversation where they laid out that they both want to date each other, but Janine's aware that once they get together it will probably be for life and she doesn't think it's a good idea to start that relationship until she's on her own for a bit. So it seems dumb for him to date somebody else knowing that he really likes someone else who likes him back and wants to be with him but needs a little time first. 

22 hours ago, BreezieBitch said:

I found their conversation confusing and not sure how Janine’s conversation with Mo relates to her not perusing a relationship with Gregory. 

Yeah, it made it seem like Janine just went overboard over the idea that she was selfish because not being selfish is such a core part of her personality and that gave her dumb ideas.  But luckily in the end she didn't just wallow in the idea that she was a terrible person, but instead came to the conclusion that she just needed to have some time with nobody but herself to care for.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

True, but it still seemed like a stretch to call her particularly selfish over it. It was Gregory who wanted to be there, not Janine, and it wasn't until afterwards where she realized how it would hurt him, and she apologized for that.

Will he? It seems like it would be strange for him to decide to go after somebody else when they had a conversation where they laid out that they both want to date each other, but Janine's aware that once they get together it will probably be for life and she doesn't think it's a good idea to start that relationship until she's on her own for a bit. So it seems dumb for him to date somebody else knowing that he really likes someone else who likes him back and wants to be with him but needs a little time first. 

Yeah, it made it seem like Janine just went overboard over the idea that she was selfish because not being selfish is such a core part of her personality and that gave her dumb ideas.  But luckily in the end she didn't just wallow in the idea that she was a terrible person, but instead came to the conclusion that she just needed to have some time with nobody but herself to care for.

Selfish is such a loaded word for some people. I can imagine Janine's mom calling her selfish if Janine didn't do what she wanted. I hope  Janine knows she can do better than Tyriq.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Forget about Janine and Gregory - the best couple is Jacob and Gregory. Every scene with them was golden. Jacob biting his fist to contain himself when he found out about the kiss was perfection. The bro hug at the end. Love.

I guffawed when Barbara sat up and scared the crap out of the kids. One of the funniest moments on this show for me. I love how everyone's pajamas were a perfect encapsulation of their personalities.

I spent a night at the San Francisco Science Museum when my child was in girl scouts several years ago, and lord, it was the longest night of my life. Not a wink of sleep. I felt for the kid who never fell asleep - that was/would be me......

I think it's fine for Janine to want to explore being alone for a while. She has been care taking her mom and Tariq most of her life. She is still just learning to set boundaries for herself and put herself first. Wanting to be a healthy adult before starting what could be an important relationship is smart, not selfish.

• Like 15
11 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Selfish is such a loaded word for some people. I can imagine Janine's mom calling her selfish if Janine didn't do what she wanted. I hope  Janine knows she can do better than Tyriq.

Yes! Manipulative people will wield that word like a club to get people to to what they want. I suspect Janine is sensitive to being called selfish. 

Now, Ava truly is selfish, but I'm glad that she and Janine had a chance to talk about it. As a recovering people pleaser, she definitely needs to spend some time exploring her own needs and desires.  

• Like 13
15 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I guffawed when Barbara sat up and scared the crap out of the kids. One of the funniest moments on this show for me. I love how everyone's pajamas were a perfect encapsulation of their personalities.

I forgot--one of my favorite moments was the kid who was looking bug-eyed at the alien drawing. That was some Little Rascals level facial comedy. Well done.

• Like 11

I love Melissa and know she's a tough Philly girl, but her comments to the young volunteer wemt beyond where I think she would normally go.  Correcting, yes, I've been on that kind of tour where the guide either doesn't know or is in error, but the tone and gist of her remarks were ugly.  The writers did the character no favors.  On the other hand, I loved how Melissa made sure Barbara was OK after the alien incident.  Truth be told, they're my two favortie characters with Jacob and Mr. Johnson close seconds.  I know Janine and Gregory each have a lot of baggage, but the charm of Abbott Elementary is the teacher/staff/student dynamic, not -- at least for me -- a will they or won't they possible romance.  What happened on Moonlighting when the two leads finally got together should be a cautionary tale -- the magic was gone.  To some degree, the same on Castle.  

Edited by schnauzergirl
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Janine and Gregory having their big heart-to-heart talk…in front of a giant beating heart.  I loved that, even though that heart scared the bejesus out of me when I was a little kid (and yes, @MicheleinPhilly that thing does indeed smell like stinky feet, even after they spruced it up a few years back!).

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Forget about Janine and Gregory - the best couple is Jacob and Gregory. Every scene with them was golden. Jacob biting his fist to contain himself when he found out about the kiss was perfection. The bro hug at the end. Love.

I spent a night at the San Francisco Science Museum when my child was in girl scouts several years ago, and lord, it was the longest night of my life. Not a wink of sleep. I felt for the kid who never fell asleep - that was/would be me......

I think it's fine for Janine to want to explore being alone for a while. She has been care taking her mom and Tariq most of her life. She is still just learning to set boundaries for herself and put herself first. Wanting to be a healthy adult before starting what could be an important relationship is smart, not selfish.

Jacob is great when he isn't trying to prove how liberal he is. My favorite Jacob scene is when he was angry with Barbara and Melissa in Sick Day.

• Like 7