Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Franklin Institute

• Start Topic

On 4/19/2023 at 10:04 PM, funnygirl said:

However, I just know Janine is going to come back from summer break wanting to be with Gregory and he is going to have moved on (his "it's time to plant something new" comment). I get that the show doesn't want to pair them up too soon, but there are only so many obstacles before it becomes grating. 

Shades of Dwayne and Kinu, followed by Whitley and Byron. I hope we don't have to wait for the final season for Gregory to come begging "Please, baby please!" before they finally get it together.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:56 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

Jacob's Ketanji Brown Jackson pajamas! 🤣

I'm ready to accept and admit that Jacob is my very favorite. I also loved him bucking Gregory up by saying "Everybody that I like knows it." Jacob is goofy, but wise.

Now pardon me while I start my day with some Tina Marie. Damn that COINTELPRO.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 4/21/2023 at 7:36 AM, Rai said:

I'd like to second the comment on Gregory looking hot in his do-rag. Into it if Janine don't want him. (But she does, I know.)

Still intrigued as to what Tariq moving back to Philly will do with this dynamic as well! It's definitely a well-worn trope to do the whole will they/won't they thing, but man, I think "I'm interested to learn about what you like" is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time. Even if I'm paraphrasing, it's great. That's some real stuff.

What I find interesting is that even though Ava's been harassing Gregory from day 1, she clearly doesn't really care if Gregory and Janine get together. She was even trying to help them in her weird way. So it's nice to know that she's not going to make Janine's life any harder than she does already because of jealousy or anything. She essentially gave them her blessing. (Yes, they don't need her blessing. But still, Ava being harmless with her irritations is better than her being more terrible. Besides, she still got to be the troublemaker with her alien conspiracies). The plot of this series will always remind me of my studies at the university, it’s even a pity that I graduated from it last year. I don’t know how I would have coped without https://paperell.net/apa-style-papers, this service made me an excellent paper in APA format. I also ordered an essay from them, I was satisfied. Honestly, the whole staff seems to be rooting for them, and I can see next season of the STAFF being the problem and trying to force them together while they both keep saying "Hey, we talked about it, not the right time. Back off." I don't know if they'll go that route, but it'd be a nice flip on the ole trope!

Charming show as always!

You literally read my mind, especially about the staff!

Edited by fredmunsey
  • Like 2

I hate it when writers play the "will they-won't they/UST" card, cause this is what it is.. It really annoys me to the point of almost being a dealbreaker. Yes, they could find a bazillion of realistic reasons not to go with them pairing, the "I am not ready" is probably the no 1 used excuse followed by "I do not want to ruin our friendship". Of course the way they have set Janine's character and past it is normal for her to hesitate.  Still... I hate it! :D
Anyway. In other news, this is a very sweet show and I am glad it is also popular and awarded. The audience seems to need shows like Abbott.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 4/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Yeah, I get Maurice being upset. I think sometimes Janine means a little to into the sweet and innocent side of herself so of course she didn't get that he's hurt. Yeah Janine, your kissed the (what seemed like) close fringed of the but your dating. He's hurt. Be a grown up and own that. 

I really didn't like Melissa being a bitch to the volunteer. Sure she may need to learn more but Melissa was a bitch before that and the girl is a volunteer. I just thought it was uncalled for.

Shallow observation: Gregory was hot AF in the henley and do-rag. Damn!

bitch is right.  that was mean and uncalled for for sure

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Being a bit of a people pleaser myself, I could relate to Janine feeling bad about being called selfish even though she's one of the least selfish people around. And though I want Janine and Gregory to be a true blue couple, I understand Janine needed to be by herself for a while. And if and when Janine and Gregory do become a couple I hope the show avoids making them a Ross and Rachel couple. It's okay to show a young couple with a positive and functional relationship.

I loved Jacob's reaction when he found out Gregory and Janine kissed. It was golden. I love Jacob and Gregory's bromance. Their friendship has really grown. And Ketanji Brown Jackson PJs? Yes!!!

I laughed out loud when Barbara sat up with her CPAP mask on. And I can understand why the children freaked out. 

I usually like Melissa. She's usually a mix of snarky and sweet. But damn, she was a total bitch to that volunteer.

And I really love how Abbott Elementary connects with real life Philly things like the Franklin Institute.

I can't wait for next season. I'll be counting the days.

• Like 12
50 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I really want those KBJ pajamas to be real, so I can buy them. Doing a search was not getting me very far. This was all  found and it's from the UK!

https://www.cafepress.co.uk/mf/129701026/judge-ketanji-brown-jackson_pajamas?productId=924876530

The show needs to develop a line of merch!

Clothing and accessories with quotes and nicknames from the show, some of that fundraiser candy, a recipe book with contributions from Abbott faculty and staff, and of course those KBJ pajamas! 

• Like 5
On 4/20/2023 at 10:19 PM, zoey1996 said:

I’ve used a CPAP for years. I got way too much relief from it to skip a night. I even use it when I nap. The smaller ones cost as much as a bigger one, so not everyone can get a separate travel one. The kids wouldn’t have been disturbed without Ava’s alien descriptions. 
I felt sad for Janine. Maurice was so unkind. But I’m glad she and Gregory talked and have a better understanding. Very glad the show avoided the “misunderstanding for laughs” trope. 
I’ve never been to Philadelphia, but the museums sound incredible! I love museums.

Not about the show, but how did you know you needed a CPAP?  I never sleep, but no Dr. has ever suggested having ax sleep study or anything.  Maybe I have bad doctors. 

Show related, I loved this episode but I wouldn't be sorry if Mr. Johnson never came back.  I find him off-putting for some reason. 

I loved both versions of the bro hug. So much to read into them. Hug A was a thank you to Jacob for being such a good friend and Gregory acknowledging that and being just a tiny bit more open but still ended with that casual back tap. Hug B was Jacob realizing Gregory was struggling and offering emotional support but then being surprised that Gregory really needed it and took it to a further emotional place. They really nailed it. I'm also glad that the episode ended with Jacob, Janine and Gregory going to eat with Jacob using his third wheel powers to make something less awkward. 

The way they have all the teachers in the school acknowledging the feelings between Janine and Gregory, I have a feeling when they finally do have them solidly together in like season 6, we're gonna get something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfIYDqSvnb0. Complete with students shipping it and squealing. 

• Like 5

I would've howled if the volunteer retorted back at the end with something like "with what teachers get, you already have volunteering experience so come give a little more..."    Agree that Melissa was unnecessarily rude.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Not about the show, but how did you know you needed a CPAP?  I never sleep, but no Dr. has ever suggested having ax sleep study or anything.  Maybe I have bad doctors. 

Taking to small talk.

• Like 1

After the fundraising earlier this season, I thought the field trip must have happened off-screen. Nope! We love continuity.

I find the will-they-won't-they (or really, the they-obviously-will-but-we'll-stretch-it-out-for-three-to-five-seasons) incredibly played out on every sitcom nowadays and Abbott is no exception. That being said, between the living classroom and the beating heart, Gregory and Janine have had some great backdrops for their moments.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I don't like the will they won't they trope on shows nowadays.  Gregory is too for Janine...and with her wish washy tendencies...she'd break his heart.

Wishy-washy? She was with the same guy for several presidential terms!

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

Are overnight field trips with elementary school kids really a thing? Seems to me like that'd be a boundary the teachers wouldn't want to cross lest the kids start acting too familiar with them.

Aliens might be on Earth drinking Mai Tais. Okay, so they can traverse the universe but have basic tastes in cocktails. Hmm.

Ava Night Shyamalan. Lol, even Howard Stern calls him M. Night Shamalamadingdong and they're actual friends.

Ehh, not sure sure I can buy Ava not knowing what a CPAP machine looks like. There's ads on TV everyday about them or the medication you can take instead.

I don't think Greg's body looks like the Longhorn logo, IMO he looks like a capital letter "y."

It's probably for the best they're keeping Janine and Greg out of a romantic coupling for now. And now the ball is in Janine's court. I just hope every season isn't going to end with things in limbo.

So when does the next season start?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2023 at 10:06 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I don't like the will they won't they trope on shows nowadays. 

Nowadays?  Well, okay if you consider the last 40 or more years "nowadays". 😉

one.png

two.png

three.png

four.png

five.png

six.png

seven.png

eight.png

Edited by mojito
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, cinsays said:

I really didn't like Melissa being a bitch to the volunteer. Sure she may need to learn more but Melissa was a bitch before that and the girl is a volunteer. I just thought it was uncalled for.

And in front of the kids, too. Not a great teaching moment.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

They had me at Franklin Institute, one of my absolute favorite places in Philly. And yes, overnight field trips there are a real thing, I was so impressed they got to actually film inside the museum.

I've come to think of the will they/won't they trope as just bad writing and lack of imagination. Not something I would have associated with this show, but there it is. Getting your leads together doesn't always kill the show, if it's done right. One of the best examples I've seen was on Farscape, the writing just got better after they put the leads together. It just takes really good writing, the chemistry is there with the actors.

Melissa may have been a bit much but she made me laugh out loud with the "you're really not from Philly if you think I'm going to volunteer".

Looking forward to what they have in store for us next season.

• Like 6
On 4/21/2023 at 3:45 PM, Ilovepie said:

I love how everyone's pajamas were a perfect encapsulation of their personalities.

I spent a night at the San Francisco Science Museum when my child was in girl scouts several years ago, and lord, it was the longest night of my life. Not a wink of sleep. I felt for the kid who never fell asleep - that was/would be me......

I loved seeing everyone in their pjs!  Wardrobe was on point with this one.  And yes, Gregory looked hot but I found Jacob absolutely adorable in his bathrobe.

I had no idea spending a night in a museum was actually a real life thing!  I too went to the Franklin Institute for a field trip and we just ended up spending more hours on the school bus then at the museum (Jersey native here). Back then they prob didn’t allow sleepovers.  The most unrealistic part was all the kids actually sleeping.  There is no way I can see that happening.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I loved seeing everyone in their pjs!  Wardrobe was on point with this one.  And yes, Gregory looked hot but I found Jacob absolutely adorable in his bathrobe.

I had no idea spending a night in a museum was actually a real life thing!  I too went to the Franklin Institute for a field trip and we just ended up spending more hours on the school bus then at the museum (Jersey native here). Back then they prob didn’t allow sleepovers.  The most unrealistic part was all the kids actually sleeping.  There is no way I can see that happening.

The kids sleep. The adults don't. 

We did an overnight at the aquarium and it was the most exhausting and fun thing ever.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

It definitely wasn't a thing when I was a kid because I remember being VERY jealous when it did become a thing and and I was too damn old. ☹️

• Hugs 4
8 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

It definitely wasn't a thing when I was a kid because I remember being VERY jealous when it did become a thing and and I was too damn old. ☹️

I'm surprised the younger kids were included on the sleepover. A trip like that should have been a reward for moving on to high school since Abbott is a Kindergarten through eighth grade school.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm surprised the younger kids were included on the sleepover. A trip like that should have been a reward for moving on to high school since Abbott is a Kindergarten through eighth grade school.

It was just one night at a local museum. I'm not surprised younger kids were included. It helps them associate museums with fun in their minds. In my experience, what you speak of is for something more extensive, like several nights away at a place that requires some distance to travel, and even then it's not so much about being a reward as it is just that for something like that, the kids need to be older because younger ones will get too homesick and have difficulty with their routines being thrown off for so long.

• Like 5

I think Gregory and Janine are one of the least interesting parts of an amazing show, so this will they won’t they is annoying. I think friends with some attraction works well for them, but if they’re going to try to do a relationship and don’t do it soon, it’s just going to be too much.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:05 AM, Zaffy said:

I hate it when writers play the "will they-won't they/UST" card

I feel the same.  It has been used time and time again in shows.  I love this show, and want it to have many seasons, but it would be nice if they didn't drag out whether they get together for all of them.  I'd love to see couples actually getting together and going through real life situations.  Dating, moving in together, etc.  Never get to see that because the shows end and the series finale is the couple finally being together. 

But, even if they don't get together, I'll still enjoy all the other funny characters.  A bit sad that it will probably be delayed this fall due to the writer's strike.  

• Like 3

I saw this late, but I have some strong opinions about it. 😀

1. Janine is right that she needs to do work on herself before she'll be ready for a serious relationship - but I don't really believe that she would have this realization. It takes some serious self-awareness and self-control to turn down a great person who wants you. And Janine is practically defined by her lack of self-awareness and self-control!

I get that she's made some progress. But it very much came across as "Let's just keep these people apart for as long as we can."

2. Melissa was so unlikeable in the scenes with the volunteer. Throughout season one, the writers did right by Melissa, but they really made some screw-ups this season, by leaning way too hard into the mean girl side of her. It would help if she got some comeuppance for her smugness, but she almost never does.

Speaking of the field trip - bringing kindergartners on an overnight trip was pretty strange, and not at all realistic, so far as I know. And if I worked at the Franklin Institute, I wouldn't want people to think that we'd expect a young volunteer to stay overnight tending to little kids.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2023 at 6:27 AM, possibilities said:

I loved seeing Janine and Gregory have an honest conversation like actual adults. It's so much more satisfying than the usual juvenile behavior TV seems to think is funny or compelling.

And way to go Jacob-- and even Ava!!-- for seeing what's up and being supportive.

I also liked their conversation. Moreover, I even waited for such an episode. I wanted them to do it and finally it happened. I like when TV shows make accurate all my expectations.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2023 at 2:45 PM, jah1986 said:

They had me at Franklin Institute, one of my absolute favorite places in Philly. And yes, overnight field trips there are a real thing, I was so impressed they got to actually film inside the museum.

I've come to think of the will they/won't they trope as just bad writing and lack of imagination. Not something I would have associated with this show, but there it is. Getting your leads together doesn't always kill the show, if it's done right. One of the best examples I've seen was on Farscape, the writing just got better after they put the leads together. It just takes really good writing, the chemistry is there with the actors.

Melissa may have been a bit much but she made me laugh out loud with the "you're really not from Philly if you think I'm going to volunteer".

Looking forward to what they have in store for us next season.

Farscape is one of my favourite shows of all time and John/Aeryn is one of my favourite pairings of all time but due to the nature of the S3/4 storyline there was a lot of (melo)drama/trauma and even WT/WT with them after they got together and the usual complaints that they were "taking over the show" which didn't make any sense but oh well. Of course trauma was basically a given on that show and they did it so well (along with humour and everything else).  

For this show's purpose I think Jake/Amy from B99 are a good comparison of how not to draw out a WT/WT as it's also a work place comedy. They both dated others in the 2nd season and "they like each other even though they're dating other people" was a big plot point. But it didn't overwhelm the show. They got them together at the beginning of the 3rd season and they stayed together with fairly minimal interpersonal drama. Some eps they barely interacted or didn't reference their relationship at all. And they were one of the most popular couples on TV. Ben/Leslie were similar. 

I think romance is a part of life and a part of most work places. It has a place in Abbott because it's realistic that two young teachers who have a lot in common would be interested in each other and it's not completely unrealistic that with both of their personalities that they are bad about actually communicating that. 

This show is contriving reasons to keep them apart - whilst the break up scene was bad not sure why Maurice was so angry weeks after considering it was a few dates "situationship". It sucked and I get that he was hurt but eh. It's not a bad idea that Janine focus on herself and this time acknowledge that she's not necessarily ok but I didn't like how she got there. And with romance plots more than any other fans are used to the tired tropes. So much so that when a show subverts them and has a potential TW/TW couple actually get together whilst anyone still cares, it's considered a miracle. I think they should get them together no later than the end of S3. 

That said I also think romance plots sometimes become the scapegoats of a show. Ava's cliche heart of gold annoys me no end because I work with an Ava and she has yet to help anyone, even for her own benefit. ;) That's just as cliche even though JJ is making it work. Though I like Ava best in small doses. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, kathyk24 said:

Selfish is such a loaded word for some people. I can imagine Janine's mom calling her selfish if Janine didn't do what she wanted. I hope  Janine knows she can do better than Tyriq.

I could totally see Janine's mom using that word to get her way with Janine growing up, making it a trigger in adulthood.

Ps, we did a sleepover at Franklin Institute. Best trip ever. I was obsessed with the heart.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Like 3
On 4/20/2023 at 7:30 PM, msani19 said:

One of my friend's daughter was one of the students in this episode. We all started yelling and cheering when we saw her, even though it was brief. She had such an amazing time and she loved it. Plus she earned her first paycheck :-)

We just caught up on our saved episodes (I think we were saving them and spreading them out!)  So I assume if you're a local (like me) that your friend's daughter is local?  I was wondering if they hired Philly kids on location.  

I called the CPAP machine but I thought surely they would kiss in the Heart--but I was glad it was unpredictable.  

• Like 1