Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

If Kevin Federline is a freeloader because of all that Brittney paid for the kids over the years while he didn't work as a back up dancer, so is the soon to be ex Mrs. Costner.

It's not exactly the same here.  Kevin Federline chose to keep on reproducing on a salary that could never support six children and his younger two children indirectly benefitted from Britney's money due to California child support laws.  He also made no visible pivot in his career until the clock started counting down to his and Britney's eldest's son's 18th birthday.  

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's not exactly the same here.  Kevin Federline chose to keep on reproducing on a salary that could never support six children and his younger two children indirectly benefitted from Britney's money due to California child support laws.  He also made no visible pivot in his career until the clock started counting down to his and Britney's eldest's son's 18th birthday.  

The comparison is also invalid because, based on many interviews, Costner spent a great deal of time away from home on his various productions and his wife was tasked with taking care of the home and their young kids.  If she didn't work outside their home in order to facilitate his admittedly far more profitable career and Costner was in agreement that this was the best plan for their family; then I don't see anything wrong with her not working while they were married.  He benefited from her presence at home taking care of their children.

I don't know what agreement Federline and Spears had during their marriage, so I cannot speak to that.

I think at least part of Christine Baumgartner's problem is that she knows how old their kids are and the youngest is already 13, which means that child support is only going to run another 5 years or so (depending on whether the kids go to college and what the plan is then).  I presume she wants more child support than initially agreed upon because she sees that gravy train pulling into the station fairly soon; so she wants to maximize the income from that for as long as she can.  Because, while the money is for child support, she has a great deal of discretion as to how it is spent, especially since he is already taking care of the schooling and medical expenses.  The kids may 'need' a very large home, one whose mortgage she couldn't cover on her measly million bucks or a pool and spa or tennis courts or whatever else she deems necessary to maintain them when with her.  And, in 5 years, once the child support ends, it's not like the kids are going to take that pool or guest house with them or even the private chef to cook for them.  She can also manage to salt away a good bit of that 'child support' for a rainy day.  It's not fair, but it is what happens.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

The comparison is also invalid because, based on many interviews, Costner spent a great deal of time away from home on his various productions and his wife was tasked with taking care of the home and their young kids.  If she didn't work outside their home in order to facilitate his admittedly far more profitable career and Costner was in agreement that this was the best plan for their family; then I don't see anything wrong with her not working while they were married.  He benefited from her presence at home taking care of their children.

I think what @merylinkid was referring to is what happens after the child support ends/runs out, though. Because the court filings indicate that Costner put up money for his wife to start a couple of businesses, and they both failed. If she's just bad at marketing or something, that's one thing and it can certainly be remedied, but custom handbags can run anywhere from three hundred dollars to a couple of thousand depending on materials, design, size, etc. It sounds like things were happening behind the scenes that we don't know about, because they've been married for almost twenty years, and he was going to file for divorce first but she beat him to it. Now she wants nearly two hundred and fifty grand a month in support, maybe in addition to the house since she hasn't moved out yet, and he says that's in violation of the prenup. As per usual, I just feel sorry for the kids here for being caught up in this mess.

• Like 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

and he was going to file for divorce first but she beat him to it.

He actually said in his public statement when the divorce was initially filed that he was blindsided by it and didn't want to get divorced. I don't think it was a race to the courthouse to file.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6

I am not referring to child support.   I am solely referring to alimony.   The soon to be ex Mrs. Costner is a grown adult capable of supporting herself.   She doesn't get to have millions of dollars just because the guy she doesn't want to be married to anymore has it.   She signed a pre nup, never renegotiated it.   Now she is stuck with the consequences and is trying to call unfair because she won't get to pretend to be a handbag designer anymore while really being a lady who lunches.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Also Federline and Spears were not together all that long.   don't know how applicable this is to the Costners of course, but a woman who does not work outside the home for 20 years because she is raising children and maintaining the household, is entitled to some compensation for this when it comes to divorce.  Despite what Hollywood sitcoms would have us believe, this doesn't usually mean a woman gets a fat alimony cheque for the rest of her life, but it does mean she is entitled to spousal support until she can support herself.   Maybe Mrs. Costner would have no trouble finding work but this is not true for many women who have found themselves in this situation.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
On 6/25/2023 at 3:37 PM, Dani said:

Since they married in 2005, my guess is she only finds it restrictive after 5 years of living with Yellowstone money. For most of their relationship his career was on the decline and looked to stay that way.

She estimates he's worth 400 million dollars.  I don't know if she's correct but while Yellowstone was certainly a success for him, I doubt that money even comes close to being a significant part of a 400-million-dollar fortune. Even though his career wasn't as hot as it was in the 80s and 90s, he was still doing quite well with a couple of movie and TV hits. That's all to say I doubt it's Yellowstone that made her suddenly want more money.

3 hours ago, Notabug said:

The comparison is also invalid because, based on many interviews, Costner spent a great deal of time away from home on his various productions and his wife was tasked with taking care of the home and their young kids. 

I think at least part of Christine Baumgartner's problem is that she knows how old their kids are and the youngest is already 13, which means that child support is only going to run another 5 years or so (depending on whether the kids go to college and what the plan is then).  I presume she wants more child support than initially agreed upon because she sees that gravy train pulling into the station fairly soon; so she wants to maximize the income from that for as long as she can. 

I'm one of the few who is okay with Federline getting the child support he gets because he also was the primary parent for his kids with Brittany, and, frankly, he might have been the only solid and stable parent in their lives.

And I'm fine with Christine getting child support too.  But the child support figure is usually going to be set by the state and not something they agree upon unless it includes things like school...etc.  She acknowledges that the amount is about 150K if you run the numbers (I don't know if that's monthly or annually), but she thinks it takes twice that to keep them in the state they're accustomed to.  She's asking for a number between what the formula says she's entitled to vs. what she thinks they actually spend on their kids.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

She estimates he's worth 400 million dollars.  I don't know if she's correct but while Yellowstone was certainly a success for him, I doubt that money even comes close to being a significant part of a 400-million-dollar fortune. Even though his career wasn't as hot as it was in the 80s and 90s, he was still doing quite well with a couple of movie and TV hits. That's all to say I doubt it's Yellowstone that made her suddenly want more money.

My thought is that she may be trying to argue that his financial situation has substantial changed, at least in part due to Yellowstone, making the prenup invalid. He’s now making over a million dollars an episode and it has lead to more opportunities so I do think it is a decent chunk of his fortune particularly since a lot of that $400 million is going to real estate and other property rather than accessible cash. It’s really the only argument I can see her having to invalidate the prenup. Since child support is a separate discussion.

Of course, as was mentioned above, she could have renegotiated the prenup if she felt it was no longer fair. 

2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I hope he didn't suffer. 

Same.  It was profoundly reckless - even at his level of experience - to go hiking where he did when he did, given the conditions, and he paid for that mistake with his life, so I hope it happened quickly.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

don't know how applicable this is to the Costners of course, but a woman who does not work outside the home for 20 years because she is raising children and maintaining the household, is entitled to some compensation for this when it comes to divorce.  Despite what Hollywood sitcoms would have us believe, this doesn't usually mean a woman gets a fat alimony cheque for the rest of her life, but it does mean she is entitled to spousal support until she can support herself.   Maybe Mrs. Costner would have no trouble finding work but this is not true for many women who have found themselves in this situation.

Spousal support can also be awarded even when the spouse receiving it was working if there's a big enough gap in their income. The only person I know for a fact who's received alimony is a friend/coworker. Her husband told her the marriage was over several months after they'd sold their home and relocated to another country for his job. She'd always worked (had even quit a good job she wanted to stay at to move and had found a job once they moved), but he had a higher-paying job and her residential status there was tied to his job. She also later found out that a bunch of stuff he'd claimed he'd paid was unpaid, and they were both financially liable.

She ended up having to move back in with her parents because she had nowhere else to go. The divorce likely would have been very different and not so uneven if they'd still been living in their house and she still had her original job. They also didn't have any children. But as it is, even though she found work shortly after coming back here, he ended up paying her alimony for several years until she remarried. He asked if he could stop paying when he remarried about a year or two before she did because he considered it a hardship he wanted to move on from, and she basically told him tough shit. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

I hope he didn't suffer. 

Same.  It was profoundly reckless - even at his level of experience - to go hiking where he did when he did, given the conditions, and he paid for that mistake with his life, so I hope it happened quickly.

As someone in my 60s, as was Julian Sands, I can't help wondering if his better judgement about such things as hiking location, weather, preparedness, etc. had slipped a bit. I frequently see others my age and older doing this dance of trying to stay active and engaged while also trying to recognize the limitations of age, and sometimes not making the best choices, whether owing to cognitive decline or just following former habits that are no longer viable.

Regardless, I imagine at the end he regretted the trouble his death in that situation would cause to others, because it's a thought I've had in life-or-death situations from my youth to the present, but, IDK, maybe he just saw a "light" and went towards it.
The NPR article on Sands' death ends with a quote which began an interview in May 2020 published in The Guardian

When are you happiest?
Close to a mountain summit on a glorious cold morning.

Throughout that brief Q&A interview, Sands' answers reveal how much risky hiking was second nature to him, which could somewhat explain his apparent recklessness on this ill-advised and ill-fated climb. 
And yet, the same interview ends with:

How would you like to be remembered?
As an interesting, amusing father by my children.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 5

As per Yahoo, CNN,etc.

On Saturday, June 24, 64-year-old Madonna was found unresponsive (by who?) and rushed to the ICU for several days after developing a severe infection requiring hospitalization. Somehow this was kept out of the rags until she was released to recuperate at home but her manager has said that due to this health scare, she is postponing her latest tour.

• Mind Blown 9
  • Sad 3
6 hours ago, Quof said:

https://people.com/jillian-michaels-marries-deshanna-marie-minuto-in-venice-italy-wedding-exclusive-7552949

"I'm 49. I've never married anyone."  Except this was their third  "wedding" in 11 months, so technically speaking, Jillian, you had married someone before now.

There's no harm in being thorough, is there? Hey, if they've got it out of their systems, they might not renew their vows in 20 years or whatever!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 6/28/2023 at 8:15 AM, shapeshifter said:

As someone in my 60s, as was Julian Sands, I can't help wondering if his better judgement about such things as hiking location, weather, preparedness, etc. had slipped a bit. I frequently see others my age and older doing this dance of trying to stay active and engaged while also trying to recognize the limitations of age, and sometimes not making the best choices, whether owing to cognitive decline or just following former habits that are no longer viable.

Regardless, I imagine at the end he regretted the trouble his death in that situation would cause to others, because it's a thought I've had in life-or-death situations from my youth to the present, but, IDK, maybe he just saw a "light" and went towards it.
The NPR article on Sands' death ends with a quote which began an interview in May 2020 published in The Guardian

Throughout that brief Q&A interview, Sands' answers reveal how much risky hiking was second nature to him, which could somewhat explain his apparent recklessness on this ill-advised and ill-fated climb. 
And yet, the same interview ends with:

It’s unfortunate for sure, but I read many reports it seems weekly of hikers who suffer harm or death due to misfortune in their adventures in deserts, mountains, forest, oceans, etc. Often, signs warn of the dangers, but they seem to be ignored.  Often, inadequate supplies, improper clothing, and no plan and notice of their route and time of return is provided.  Sadly, a father and young son were lost due to heat stroke, during a time warning signs said do not hike in TX.  I’m not sure how to get people to heed the warnings. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Actor Nicolas Coster a soap opera veteran who had roles on Santa Barbara, Another World, All My Children, As the World Turns, and One Life to Live and appeared in such films as All the President's MenReds, and Stir Crazy as well as various television shows has died, age 89.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/nicolas-coster-dead-actor-santa-barbara-all-my-children-1235425211/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/nicolas-coster-dead-another-world-santa-barbara-all-my-children-1235524531/

https://variety.com/2023/tv/actors/nicolas-coster-dead-santa-barbara-1235655715/

https://www.thewrap.com/nicolas-coster-santa-barbara-star-dies/

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/soap-vet-nicolas-coster-dies-at-89/

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

I thought someone else posted about Madonna’s recent hospitalization…..anyway, it sounds like she’s still pretty sick, but not interested in giving her recovery much time.  I’m wondering why would a grown woman and mother ignore medical problems for a month?  That’s outrageous.  Wouldn’t you call your doctor after a week with a fever?  It’s not like she’d have to wait in a lobby for many hours, like most people.  Now, it sounds like she’s resistant to care.  That sounds concerning.  

https://www.tmz.com/2023/06/29/madonna-too-sick-get-out-bed-vomiting-uncontrollably-serious-bacterial-infection/

• Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Nicolas Coster a soap opera veteran who had roles on Santa Barbara, Another World, All My Children, As the World Turns, and One Life to Live and appeared in such films as All the President's MenReds, and Stir Crazy as well as various television shows has died, age 89.

Nooooo! Not Lionel Lockridge! I had such a crush on him in my youth. At least he lived a good long life. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Aw, she was great.  Godspeed. 

On a  humorous (and somewhat shallow note), I recall that when Dr. Johanson make appearances as herself on Degrassi- the teen boys would  eagerly anticipate her arrival then frequently become hot and bothered by her presence-because they anticipated her getting rather explicit in detailing the workings of sex. I mean, she did good work and pulled no punches but,  on the admittedly shallow side, she was not the most conventionally outwardly appealing individual so it was funny to me that her explicit talk alone got them hot and bothered!

In any case, RIP Dr. Johanson.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought someone else posted about Madonna’s recent hospitalization…..anyway, it sounds like she’s still pretty sick, but not interested in giving her recovery much time.  I’m wondering why would a grown woman and mother ignore medical problems for a month?  That’s outrageous.  Wouldn’t you call your doctor after a week with a fever?  It’s not like she’d have to wait in a lobby for many hours, like most people.  Now, it sounds like she’s resistant to care.  That sounds concerning.  

https://www.tmz.com/2023/06/29/madonna-too-sick-get-out-bed-vomiting-uncontrollably-serious-bacterial-infection/

I hope hospitals wouldn’t give celebrities priority over other patients. 

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

I hope hospitals wouldn’t give celebrities priority over other patients. 

She's reportedly at home now.  Or are you talking about not having to wait in a lobby?  The reason she wouldn't have to wait is she's likely rich enough to have a doctor come to her, especially since she likely pays cash vs. using insurance. There are some doctors whose business model is cash-only.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m wondering why would a grown woman and mother ignore medical problems for a month?  That’s outrageous.  Wouldn’t you call your doctor after a week with a fever?  

Speculation has it that she was afraid she would have to postpone her tour...which would lead to possible gossip regarding her age/health. 

Regardless, as Madonna strives to stay relevant that's going to happen now anyway.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She's reportedly at home now.  Or are you talking about not having to wait in a lobby?  The reason she wouldn't have to wait is she's likely rich enough to have a doctor come to her, especially since she likely pays cash vs. using insurance. There are some doctors whose business model is cash-only.

Right.  I would imagine very wealthy, high profile patients have private doctors to attend to their needs on a more personal level.  Perhaps, Madonna did not choose that route.  

• Like 3
(edited)

I'm more familiar with his son Adam's work, but I chiefly remember Alan Arkin from Escape from Sobibor, where he's one of the primary architect of a mass escape from a Nazi extermination camp. He's really good in it. It's based on a true story and is pretty accurate, from what I recall.

As an update to the Kevin Costner divorce:

https://people.com/kevin-costner-calls-estranged-wife-christine-child-support-request-inflated-plastic-surgery-divorce-7555403

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kevin-costner-cant-afford-child-support-demands-without-yellowstone/

He's saying the child support request is padded with his wife's plastic surgery and personal trainer expenses and that he couldn't afford it anyway because his income no longer includes Yellowstone money. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

He made me absolutely bawl in "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter". That has to be in the top 10 of saddest movies ever. I love this part of the article: In a review that was otherwise critical of the film, the New York Times said Arkin’s performance as the deaf-mute Singer is “extraordinary, deep and sound. Walking, with his hat jammed flat on his head, among the obese, the mad, the infirm, characters with one leg, broken hip, scarred mouth, failing life, he somehow manages to convey every dimension of his character, especially intelligence.” He was perfect in "Grosse Point Blank" too. This one hurts... 

Edited by badhaggis
  • Like 15
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Alan Arkin was perfect in the first 2 of 3 seasons of the award-winning The Kominsky Method, still available on Netflix.

39 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

He played so many funny and lovable characters, especially in his later years but this effing bastard from the 1967 Audrey Hepburn thriller Wait Until Dark scares me to this day!

download.jpeg.eeba6820b87894245be9789695d713fa.jpeg

Wait Until Dark is scheduled to run on the over-the-air Movies! television network next Monday at 12:25pm EDT.
Likely network schedules will be juggled to show other movies featuring the now late, great Alan Arkin. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
(edited)

God damn it. I really liked Alan Arkin. He was delicious in the Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming and I will never forgive him for making Sigmund Freud kind of hot in The 7% Solution. He and Peter Falk were hilarious in the original The In-Laws but aspects of it probably don't hold up well.

Jinx, @Domestic Assassin!

Edited by ABay
  • Like 12
(edited)

Arkin is one of those actors whose performance I've enjoyed in every role I've seen him in, even if I wound up not caring for the film as a whole.  And when he's in a film I adore (especially a quirky indie film), it's a true joy, so I particularly love him in Little Miss Sunshine, Slums of Beverly Hills, and Sunshine Cleaning.  All of which I have on DVD/Blu-Ray, so I think I'll have an Alan Arkin tribute marathon this weekend. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Damn not Alan Arkin. I’ve loved this man’s acting since first seeing him in The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming. R.I.P.

I love that movie.  Such corny, hilarious Cold War era fun.  RIP Alan Arkin.

• Like 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, kittykat said:

l love that movie.  Such corny, hilarious Cold War era fun.  RIP Alan Arkin.

If you can find a DVD that includes Norman Jewison's commentary on the making of The Russians it's worth a listen to. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Arkin is one of those actors whose performance I've enjoyed in every role I've seen him in, even if I wound up not caring for the film as a whole.  And when he's in a film I adore (especially a quirky indie film), it's a true joy, so I particularly love him in Little Miss Sunshine, Slums of Beverly Hills, and Sunshine Cleaning.  All of which I have on DVD/Blu-Ray, so I think I'll have an Alan Arkin tribute marathon this weekend. 

I agree with this.  It could be a not so great film, but he was always great.  Jack Lemmon was like that too.  Alan Arkin was so good in so many movies, but I have a real affection for The In-Laws.  I have that on DVD and watch it every few months, because I remember watching it with my dad (Mr. Stoic), who rarely laughed out loud at anything, and he laughed so hard at Alan Arkin together with Peter Falk that he was almost crying.  Just seeing a picture of Alan Arkin made me think of my dad, who died almost 20 years ago.  If there is a heaven, I hope Peter Falk greeted Alan Arkin with "SERPENTINE!" and that my dad was there watching and roaring with laughter. 

• Like 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

If you have access to Hoopla streaming service through your library, you can watch

The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming for free, no ads.

Good to know, but I already watched The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming this afternoon for free on Tubi with just a few short commercials. 

• Thanks 1
(edited)

I just found out last month that Tubi is owned by Fox ☹️. Why must they ruin everything?

They certainly weren't his biggest roles, but I watched Indian Summer and Edward Scissorhands a lot when I was younger and Alan Arkin was such an understated, warm presence in those movies.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 7