Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Jimmy Weldon who was the voice of the Hanna-Barbera character Yakky-Doodle has died, age 99.

AWW!  I remember he appeared on a Saturday morning cartoon preview show and it was the first time I had ever seen voice actors of my favorite shows for the first time (Mel Blanc being the notable exception at that point).  I remember he not only did Yakky Doodle as a single character, he was able to create a "group" of ducks singing at the same time!  I thought it was incredible!

RIP Mr. Weldon.    

• Like 5
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

The Hermès Birkin bag was named for her. 

Jane Birkin also starred in two of my favorite Agatha Christie Poirot movies: Death on the Nile (1972) and the delicious Evil Under the Sun (1982) which I rewatch every summer.  R.I.P. Ms. Birkin.

I love the late 70/early 80s Agatha Christie adaptations.

Damn.  Maggie Smith and Emily Hone are the only main EUtS cast members left.  All I can think is how those Birkin bags are gonna double in price and how I'll never have one.

• Like 3
(edited)

Elise Finch longtime weathercaster for the Greater NYC area died suddenly of as yet unknown causes on Sunday,July 16,2023. She was 51 years of age and among other surviving loved ones,she leaves behind a husband Graig Henriques  and their 6-year-old daughter Grace.

Edited by Blergh
  • Sad 11
(edited)

IIRC, there were rumours about the impending break up of Sofia and Joe based on a recent post (birthday? anniversary?) Guess this time, people weren't reading too much (or too little) into it.

Always sad to hear about break ups.

EDIT: I posted that before I read the linked story... which mentions all of that. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I’m not surprised about Ariana divorcing. She hasn’t looked happy or healthy in awhile. 

Same.  I think he was intimidated by her career.  A [revealed] blind item had them as the subject in which she wanted to go to a movie premiere, but he refused to go with her and urged her to stay home.  Now, I can understand not being into the red carpet business, but I think he was just tying her down like a bad HS boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

The Magic Mike movie was the first time I'd seen Joe Manganiello.  I drool over this scene every time I watch it.  😍

This scene was the best part of that movie. I was a True Blood fan back in the day and he was so gorgeous on that show as well.

• Like 11
(edited)

OK, while I grant that Mr. Manganiello resembles  a Classical Greek god, it's what kind of person he is on the inside that truly counts and it's possible that Miss Vergara may have had to deal with her spouse's shadowside and that might have been a factor in deciding to divorce him.

BTW,  as per mythology, those Classical Greek gods themselves almost always had glaring shadowsides despite being visually appealing  and often burned those mortals who sought to canoodle with them!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

The kind of person one is on the inside applies to Miss Vergara as well as to Mr. Manganiello.  I read the linked article, and it makes no mention that she was the one who filed for divorce; it read like it was a mutual decision.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The kind of person one is on the inside applies to Miss Vergara as well as to Mr. Manganiello.  I read the linked article, and it makes no mention that she was the one who filed for divorce; it read like it was a mutual decision.  

I'll grant you the fact that it's more important a spouse/potential spouse's character rather than their exterior appeal applies to Miss Vergara as well as Mr. Manganiello regardless of their Aphrodite/ Adonis exteriors and maybe the filing itself was a mutual decision but one can be sure that one of the two had have to brought it up first before the other agreed/conceded. Rarely if ever do both spouses instantly simultaneously say to each other 'that's it, we're DONE' re deciding to split.

However, no one in this Subforum had attempted to fantasize over hooking up with Miss Vergara on the verge of becoming single while there were those who were doing so re Mr. Manganiello. I'm NOT putting down anyone's tastes or fantasies in themselves but I just thought it was important to consider that before investing too much energies in said fantasies to consider the visually appealing person's character.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Honestly, knowing how much of a nerd Joe M. is, I bet it was just a factor of two hot people realizing their personalities/interests were just too different. Neither seems like any sort of drama magnet.

• Like 5

They had 115 guests, but are going to have a second, larger wedding in California.  I wonder if she'll wear the same dresses at that one, or if she'll have three new custom designs.

56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

second, larger wedding

They're married. It's not a wedding. It's an historical reenactment. 

And of course she'll have another dress. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 6
18 minutes ago, Quof said:

And of course she'll have another dress. 

Dresses.  Three dresses for the first one.  Since the U.S. event is going to be bigger, maybe she'll need five for that one.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

It must be nice if some of your biggest priorities are deciding how many dresses you think are needed at multiple wedding related events.

Consider how the late Aretha Franklin very carefully chose no less than three full outfits- for the same number of funeral services that would be said over her remains!

• Like 3

Just got the word on Facebook that legendary guitarist and session player for John Denver and the Chad Mitchell Trio, Paul Prestopino died. 

Here's a few clips of his work. As a huge JD fan, this hurts. He actually accepted a friend request on FB a few years ago and answered somr question...Helluva talent....

He played mandolin on this classic tune....

This video features Paul Prestopino on guitar in the background on the left.

RIP Paul. You did well with your gift while you were here....

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 15
6 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Just got the word on Facebook that legendary guitarist and session player for John Denver and the Chad Mitchell Trio, Paul Prestopino died. 

My father was a fan of the Chad Mitchell Trio (still have the LPs!) and they were one of my introductions to late 50's-mid 60's folk.  If I dig them up, I'm sure I'll find Prestopino's name somewhere. 

RIP sir.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I know he'd retired a few years back due to having that cursed Alzheimer's Disease and at 96 he'd gotten WAY past the average US man's life expectancy but this is still a shock because Mr. Bennett had been so multitalented for so long.

One thing I recall from WAY back was when he guested on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood in the early 1970's that not only did he sing and banter with Lady Elaine but he drew a convincing caricature picture of her WHILE he was singing and bantering with her!

I don't pretend that he had no faults or shadowside but he also had some amazing talent and I'm glad that he encouraged Lady Gaga to share her expanded scope with the public as one of his last acts. RIP, Mr. Bennett!

• Like 7
  • Sad 7
(edited)

I hate to say it, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. His Alzheimer’s had gotten to the point where he couldn’t perform anymore. And if you can’t do what you love anymore, then what’s the point?

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

One thing I recall from WAY back was when he guested on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood in the early 1970's that not only did he sing and banter with Lady Elaine but he drew a convincing caricature picture of her WHILE he was singing and bantering with her!

That was a classic! I especially loved Lady Elaine (by which I mean Fred) dancing like that. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Here’s to you, Tony. 🍸

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4

With Tony Bennett's passing, the two surviving members of The Crew Cuts, brothers John and Ray Perkins, become the living artists to have the earliest US number one single with the song "Sh-Boom" in 1954.

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

This truly feels like the end of an era. 😢

Most of Tony Bennett's contemporaries passed on 15-20 years ago, or more. He was the very last singer of his generation--born in the 1920s--in the pop/jazz genre. Most vocalists who were born in the '30s tended toward the then-emerging pop/rock genre. There was less of a jazz influence.  (Obviously, there are younger vocalists who've made their careers emulating the musical style of an earlier generation, e.g., Michael Buble, Harry Connick, Jr.)

Tony Bennett became the elder statesman for that musical style and kept himself and, most importantly, the genre in the spotlight by recording new music on his own, along with classics from the "Great American Songbook" with more contemporary artists like Elton John, Billy Joel, Bono, Elvis Costello and most notably and successfully, Lady Gaga.

Thank you, Tony Bennett. Rest easy now. You and the music with which you gifted us, made the world a better place.

Excellent post. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Bennett. 

• Like 11

I was considering who may show up for the funeral, which I expect will be some people that haven't been out in public for a time. So I looked up older Hollywood/entertainers who are still around and holy crap, Doc Severinsen is also 96.

MTV Classic, if you get it, shows just videos like MTV back in the day. They are playing all Tony Bennett videos now. He also did an Unplugged

• Like 14
(edited)
On 7/20/2023 at 6:41 PM, stonehaven said:

Here's a few clips of his work. As a huge JD fan, this hurts. He actually accepted a friend request on FB a few years ago and answered somr question...Helluva talent....

He played mandolin on this classic tune....

This video features Paul Prestopino on guitar in the background on the left.

RIP Paul. You did well with your gift while you were here....

Paul passed away in July 16. I wasn’t aware of it until reading it here.  At the time, I happened to be vacationing in the mountains of NC at Lake Lure.  As we went site seeing, several times I said aloud, how much it made me think of John Denver….you know…., loving nature, bonding with friends, filling up your spirit.  I have so much appreciation for those who made this music.  Truly magical, imo.  

A869671F-3072-4D30-AE44-B7249380E1BE.jpeg

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
(edited)

CBS Sunday Morning did a nice job with its tribute to Tony Bennett.

Edited: Well, it was a lovely tribute but CBS This Morning has removed the video from its You Tube channel. 😢 

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

BBC newsreader George Alagiah dies aged 67.

Not unexpected, he's had cancer for years, but still very sad. I always liked him.

Reading the article, I realised for the first time that his name was mispronounced literally every time I have ever heard it spoken, and that makes me sad for him, that he gave up correcting the mispronunciation so long ago that it just became the standard.

• Sad 14