Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E04: Jack Harlow

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, JZL said:

MG and host?  Never heard of the guy.  To those who know him, why would he be hosting?

He's a hip-hop performer. His best known hit ("First Class") is a sample of Fergie's old hit.

He was on SNL as MG a few years ago. He appeared in the NFTs pre-tape. (weird to think everyone in this is gone)

I have no real expectations for him as host, so I'm hoping to just be pleasantly surprised, but some of the choices this season make me wonder just how much trouble the show is having getting hosts and MGs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Man alive that "I want to be Joker!" sketch was annoying. I can't believe that was the lead off sketch after the monologue.

It was a bizarre choice.  I can only guess they thought the way "Joker" was being pronounced was hilarious.  Otherwise, the sketch was just one joke repeated over and over, along with a weird Survivor cameo from Jeff Probst that feels about 20 years too late.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Man, they brought out the big guns. David S. Pumpkins and Drunk Uncle both. I think they were a little bit worried about the show otherwise.

It was bumpy, but it had some moments. I liked the Pixar Therapy Group and the line that "Skechers' trash is My Pillow's treasure" made my night.

Nice to see Tom Hanks, Bobby, and Cecily.

Disappointed Molly didn't get an Update spot. They are the only newbie who hasn't done it.

• Love 5

Cold Open: Yay, Cecily’s back! Kenan was great as Herschel Walker. Arizona is truly the Florida of the west. I know because I have a lot of family there. It’s just so depressing knowing all three of those awful people have a serious shot at winning.

Monologue: Yeah, I have no idea who Jack Harlow is, so I have no expectations. “Post Malone without tattoos” is probably the most accurate description I’ve heard about him. “Accused of being white” is also pretty accurate. Incredibly awkward, but dammit he tried.

Joker Wedding: Oh boy, somebody started saying “Joker” weird around the writers room and someone wrote a sketch about it. And holy crap they actually got Jeff Probst to show up to this. What a weird sketch to start with. I wish there was more of Sarah as the grandma.

A Message from Sketchers: “Yeah, Kanye sucks and is crazy…but he chose to work with US” is an odd take on that.

Post-Halloween Red Carpet Special: Everyone drunk and in dumb costumes are always a recipe for success. Honestly the best costume was the little kid as the Chipotle bag.

AA Meeting: Jack Harlow pitching a Pixar movies was the last thing I was expecting. But I loved how everyone got so invested in the dumb suitcase idea. I love how nonchalantly Jack said “I drank recently by the way.” I also can’t believe Tom Hanks showed up. Also loved the sudden luggage puppets.

2020 Part 2: 2024: Yeah, the existential thought of the 2024 election is terrifying to SNL writers. 

Cocktails: Jack Harlow is definitely good at channeling Bowen’s energy. Pretty weak and awkward, though.

WU: “Dr. Oz: did slightly better than a recent stroke victim.” Everything is terrible.

I did like Che’s potshots at Kanye and Clarence Thomas.

Man, they’re really propping up this episode with cameos since Drunk Uncle came back. I missed him (and Bobby) so much. Did him being at January 6th not surprise anyone else? 

Cellblock 666: Of course we got David S. Pumpkins again. Doesn’t quite hit the same knowing he was coming since we saw Tom Hanks and Bobby showing up earlier. Same ending twist, too. It was still funny, though. Kenan was really selling that spiel.

The View: A View sketch where all four women are actually played by women?! What madness is this?! Sarah was great as Joy Behar. Since this was about Jack being into Whoopi Goldberg, I can see why they stuck this in the 10 to 1. “I’ve been closed for business since before you were born.”

I’m not so convinced Jack Harlow doesn’t so much sing, but rather vibes to music. At least he at least committed to every bit tonight?

next week is Amy Schumer.

• Love 9

My worst-case scenario involving Jeff Probst: he goes back to talking to the camera on Survivor and unleashing even more inane twists . . . and then he'll tell us one of the SNL cast members convinced him to do that. Worse, it would be someone cool like Bowen or Kenan suggesting that.

Edited by Lantern7
3 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I’m not so convinced Jack Harlow doesn’t so much sing, but rather vibes to music

Honestly the music seemed like karaoke night at the bar to me. But I'm officially an old person. I didn't get either song.

45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jeff Probst haha what.......

Most random cameo ever?

• Love 6

I never thought of 50 as old, but I have no idea who this guy is. Not bad as host, but...yeah, no idea!

Now get off my lawn!!!

P.S. What is with the deal with the increased hybrid host/musical guest trend? Is the budget that much lower?

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I have no clue about Jack Harlow. But I thought he was cute, committed, and cool! "Like drawing Justin Timberlake from memory."😄

David S. Pumpkins! Tom Hanks is the best! (Rumor has it he also is an alcoholic, no joke.) Everyone catch DSP's "I'm from Ibiza! ¿Preguntas?" 🕺😁

Do not like the skits about Biden's age. 👴 🤔

Joker wasn't funny. 🤡  😐

I kinda liked the Travelin' Suitcases! No sillier than a talking Teacup! 🎒 🤭

More time should have been spent on writing rather than for thinking up costumes. 🤫

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

I enjoyed the episode.  Jack Harlow certainly showed up.  I thought he was charming and game, and he sold me on the Pixar movie.  I thought The Joker was hilarious—maybe because I know folks of that sort.  I’ve no issue with the MG and host being one and the same, and we enjoyed Harlow on both stages.  Whoopi and Joy feeding off one another was so close to the real thing!  Also, I’ve never thought of Sunni Hostin being especially imitable, but dang, that was IT.  And I agree with all that having Cecily back was most welcome…or rather SPOOKTACULAR!

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

A Message from Sketchers: “Yeah, Kanye sucks and is crazy…but he chose to work with US” is an odd take on that.

I kind of got that.  He could have gone to Reebok or Nike but he came to Sketchers.  It's like being asked out by the most popular guy in school four years after high school who has done nothing interesting since high school.  The 22-year-old isn't all that interested in dating the most popular guy in high school but the inner 18-year-old is a little flattered. 

Jack Harlow reminded me a lot of Pete Davidson.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I actually liked this episode best of any so far this season. I laughed, had a good time watching.

I had no idea who Jack Harlow is, but I looked it up while the show is on. Apparently he has a big following, including on TikTok. I'm thinking the show is trying to pull stars that appeal to The Youths (say it like My Cousin Vinny). I'm fine with it. I have learned that some TikTok stars have MILLIONS of followers and get more views than TV. 

Glad to see Cecily and Drunk Uncle.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"Like drawing Justin Timberlake from memory."😄

That is the most memorable line of the season so far for me.  It’s so clever!

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Tom Hanks is the best! (Rumor has it he also is an alcoholic, no joke.)

No way, really?  I’d never heard that one.  Separately, I thought that he looked very lean in the AA sketch to the point of being a little on the gaunt side.  Like, for the 2021 SNL Christmas show that he pitched in on, I thought he looked fab having lost some weight, and here, I was like, “hope he’s well.”

It was a lot of fun to see David S. Pumpkins tonight with Mikey and Bobby alongside.  Drunk Uncle made me miss Bobby even more.  He’s one of the few cast members that I felt departed before his decline from peak.  RIP, Ass Dan.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, SHD said:

If they have Hanks there this week and don’t give us a nod to David S. Pumpkins, I give up.

OKAY, You Don't Have To Give Up ! They Had David S Pumpkins Over And Over And Over ! 

9 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Not when it's drunk f-ing uncle. No help at all.

I Thought That Was THE Best Thing On The Whole Show ! 

9 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Was that Bobby Moynihan?

YES And Bobby Was The Skeleton On The Right ! ! Also, That Is Why Drunk Uncle One Time Called Colin Seth ! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Geezer here, never heard of Jack Harlow and not into his *?music?* but thought he was great in the sketches. Agree with others that this ep was the best of the season so far. Cecily absolutely nailed Kari Lake!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

I knew who Jack Harlow is because his song's been all over the radio NONSTOP for like the past eight months, but I'd never really paid any attention to who he is or what he's about. I kinda love him now, lol. Thought it was a really funny show. He had better comedic timing than I expected and I liked how he really committed to everything.

• Love 4

Six years later and I still find David S. Pumpkins hilarious. I don't even understand why, but I do.

I didn't know who Jack Harlow was before this, but he just reminded me of Vanessa Bayer's Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy whenever he was on screen. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

Watched because of Jack Harlow; heard some buzz but didn't really know who/what he was. As host, he was adequate, although I was surprised to see that apparently he's starring(?) in a remake of 'White Men Can't Jump'-why? Musically, I don't get rap, so this was lost on me- same old 'look at me now I'm famous, and I can afford the most expensive girls/booze/drugs' stuff. His band on 'First Class' was good, though.

This was definitely the best episode of this season, but I knew it would be stronger than the others with Cecily back. The opening, the 2020 Part 2: 2024 skit, and the View skit were all really good, for me at least. The only clunker was the Joker wedding skit, I hated that one. I wouldn't mind if they did View skits more often since I thought Nwodim and Sherman nailed Whoopi and Joy, respectively. The last time the show did them that well was Fred Armisen as Joy and Kenan as Whoopi, although Aidy Bryant as Meghan McCain was hilarious.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I knew who Jack Harlow is because his song's been all over the radio NONSTOP for like the past eight months, but I'd never really paid any attention to who he is or what he's about. I kinda love him now, lol. Thought it was a really funny show. He had better comedic timing than I expected and I liked how he really committed to everything.

I only knew him from being on Lil Nas X's song, "Industry Baby." He was better than I expected, tbh. Looking forward to Amy Schumer next week!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I wouldn't mind if they did View skits more often since I thought Nwodim and Sherman nailed Whoopi and Joy, respectively.

I wasn't feeling them. I also only know Sara Haines from The Chase and I didn't think Chloe seemed at all like her (although perhaps her View persona is different from her Chase persona). 

That was. . . funny.

The minute I saw that the Cellblock skit involved going to different rooms, I knew David Pumpkins was going to show up, even having missed Hanks' earlier appearance.

I love how they kept insisting that he wasn't scary until he showed up behind them and legitimately startled them.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

... I thought that he looked very lean in the AA sketch to the point of being a little on the gaunt side.  Like, for the 2021 SNL Christmas show that he pitched in on, I thought he looked fab having lost some weight, and here, I was like, “hope he’s well.”

I assumed he had lost weight for a movie. After googling just now, there is some speculation about his health. Hope it's wrong.

As for the show, I guess I mostly enjoyed it. I like the mockery of Hershel Walker, though I still think Kenan comes across as a lot smarter, even with the funny lines. I admit I haven't seen much video of Kari Lake, but I heard that Cecily did a great impression of her. 

I don't know Jack Harlow, but I was immediately put off by his manner and voice which just sounded to me like he was doing an impression of a black rapper. It was weird to hear him in sketches talk without the affectations. However, I thought there were some good lines in the monologue, esp the Justin Timberlake one. His foray into the audience was pointless and unfunny.

Table of one here -- I kinda liked the Joker wedding sketch. I thought Andrew was really funny as the Joker guy, esp with all the repetition. One thing that I didn't like was the reliance on the exaggerated southern accent for everyone. It's lazy and unnecessary.

Enjoyed the Skechers sketch. (And yes I'm one of those people who often spell it with a T.) I had to check to see if that one pic was of a real Yeezy shoe. Yup. Yikes. Yuck.

I don't know about that Post-Halloween Red Carpet Special. It was hard for me to get the tragedy in Seoul out of my mind. Still, my favorite costumes were the drunk Dora the Explorer and the Chipotle bag.

The AA meeting sketch was pretty good. LOVED when Hanks appeared.

The Mexican restaurant sketch was awful. Unfunny and stupid. I just kept thinking that if I was one of the diners, I would walk out. 

I took a pass on both of Harlow's songs.

In WU, I really didn't like the joking about Fetterman's debate appearance. 

I never like when Che reacts to the audience's groaning or oooo'ing over a joke. In last night's show he did this after the woman driver joke. No way was he really surprised at the reaction. 

LOVED seeing Drunk Uncle. I was grinning like a fool at his dialogue. The whole Tik Tok dance bit was great, as was his bit about quiet quitting and "It's-a Chris-a Pratt-a. Not MY Mario." I got the impression that the audience (probably on the young side for Jack Harlow?) didn't know how to take him. Oh, and what happened when he said, "That kind of talk doesn't fly anymore."? It was a great line. I wondered if Che was cracking up off camera.

When the Cell Block 666 sketch started, I said to myself, "Oh! I hope David Pumpkins is in this!" YAY! Oh man, I was laughing and laughing. 

Didn't care for The View sketch. It's been years since I watched that show, and that was very seldom, so I don't know the two women played by Chloe and Punkie. Doesn't matter though. What was definitely unfunny was the whole thing betw Whoopie and Jack.

Generally I thought Jack did ok, though sometimes he waited too long to say his lines.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Are cut for time sketches no longer a thing this season, or are they just not posted here anymore (or maybe they’re in a non episode thread I’m overlooking?)

Edited by opus
54 minutes ago, opus said:

Are cut for time sketches no longer a thing this season, or are they just not posted here anymore (or maybe they’re in a non episode thread I’m overlooking?)

There hadn't been any this season. I thought they might have stopped, but we finally got one earlier today:

• Like 2

No familiar with Jack Harlow, but I found him to be cute and game and charming in the skits. His music is inoffensive and easy enough to listen to in the background. 

The writing hasn't really improved, but it's back to what most folk on here are more comfortable with. 

I'd gone to sleep and my family woke me up for David S. Pumpkins. Ahhhhh. Not so funny to me this time around. 

The View skit was cute! Ego did a good Whoopi, and Sarah was decent as Joy. I wish Cloe and Punky has gotten more lines and screen time. There were the seeds of good impressions there. 

• Applause 1

I loved this episode. I’d never heard of Jack Harlow but found him to be very good and very funny. He also held an impressive straight face during the joker sketch which was so ridiculous I don’t know how they all didn’t break (Heidi was very close). I loved the Tom Hanks and Bobby Moynihan appearances. 

Question for any SNL experts out there is the show completely live or is there a slight lag between certain sketches as I don’t get how Harlow can be in one sketch fully costumed and then go straight to stage looking like he’s about to perform. I know certain ones are pre recorded like the commercials or trailer sketches.

• Like 1